Return to GENEALOGY page
Edit - 29/10/02
The CHEDZEY/OTTERY Line
George Chedzey #254 born Somerset.
I. James Chedzey #252 born cir 1757, Somerset, ref: IGI, married 6 Nov 1793, in Ilminster, Old Meeting Presb., LDS Film #1037048, Mary Taunton #253, born cir 1770, (daughter of Charles Taunton #256 and Jane Gibbs #257) ref: Possible. James Possible father of our Jane.
A. Jane Chedzey #237 born 01 DEC 1794, married 6-Mar-1817, in Zion Independent Ilminster, Somerset, En, m/f 152661, Thomas Ottery #236, born 27 AUG 1796, Ilminster, Somerset, England, (son of Robert Ottery #246 and Susan Stuckley #75) ref: m/f CO 83721. 1841 Census [film #0474592] shows Jane Chedzey living @ Ditton St with her son Amos 15, Robert 14 & Thurza 12; no reference to her being a a widow , but no sign of Thomas. 1851 Census [film #0221084] shown , age 56, as a Dyer ; @ 75 Ditton St wi with Amos 18? and Thurza age 23 dressmaker. Thomas: Elizabeth has provided a record from the SOM R.O. re the Ilminster Dissenters ref P/N/ilm 3/3/1 ; shows Thomas baptism on 1 Sept 1796. Burials show his burial on 1 Feb 1838 at age 41 [close]
1. Job Ottery #238 born 04 MAY 1818, Ilminster, Somerset, England.
2. Mary Ann Ottery #239 born ?? ___ 1819, Ilminster Som, died 09 JUN 1884.
3. Luke Thomas Ottery #240 born 15 FEB 1821, Ilminster, Somerset, England, buried: 20 March 1835.
4. Amos Ottery #241 born 20 MAR 1823, Ilminster, Somerset, England, occupation porter [ per 1851 census], died 1895, Lambeth. This most likely is the Amos who was deaf and dumb , who worked as a porter in Callat? Linen Works and boarded at the home Charles Hockaday # 14 Ditton ST.o in the 1861 Census - film 05428431 - he is said then to be age 44/; As he is now a boarder [previously 1851 shown living with mother, this may confirm that mother jane ? has died?by then ; also few otterys left in Ilminster; in 1891 census he is shown a s boarder age 63? Only a "Wiiliam" left by 1891.
5. Robert James Ottery #242 born Ilminster, Somerset, England, 6 June 1825, Zion Ind, ref: CO 83731, occupation dyer, married 20 Nov 1853, in Parish of Kennington Surrey MX 873128, Mary Ann Hurford #365, born cir1819, (daughter of John Hurford #362 and Hurford/wife/John362 #363) died 1884. Robert died 17 Dec 1896, Lambeth / Brixton/London GRS B 051991. On film #037529 for St Marks parish church, Kennington SRY, ther marriage is r recorded as #413 Oct 20 1853; his father Thomas is noted as being deceased at that time. Robert is shown as living in Commerce Place. Witnesses name s are i indecipherable, maybe Ebinezer Fulham?? and ? deggvell?? Mary: See mesage line for Robert. her father John is shown as deceased at the time o the marriage.She is shown as residing on Brixton Rd at the time of the marriag marriage.
a. Thurza Ann Ottery #368 born 13 July 1855, Lambeth/Brixton/Surrey GRS 427390, married 8 Jul 1879, in Lambeth Registry office, Surrey MX746546, Charles Merredew #14, born 11.5.1855, Streatham,Sry 18 New Park Rd Brixton Hil, (son of Charles Thomas Merredew #19 and Sarah Root #20) ref: #BXBZ 390826, occupation Curio Dealer, died 5.8.1924, Tooting,Sry, Reg,n Dist. Wandsworth Sheathem Tooting. Charles: In his will in 1924 names Percy Robert,Charles Ottery and Ernest Walter Merredew whom I presume to be his sons, Charles and Ernest are in Canada Address at death 54 Fircroft Rd. Upper Tooting,Sry.Age 69 on death.Executor to his will Cornelius George Applegate his son in law. Witnesses to his will Helena May Applegate and Albert Edward Applegate.Address at birth 18 New Town Rd, Brixton Hill, Streatham He lived at the shop 32 the Water Lane Brixton until the shop was sold about
(1) Annie Merredew #16 born 1880, Lambeth,Sry., ref: 00AA, died c1947. Married Cornelius George Applegate 1909/4 Lambeth no children lived at 54 Fircroft Rd., Upper Tooting.
(2) Charles Ottery Merredew #9 born 9 Mar 1884, Lambeth,Sry Cert # BXBZ 584297, ref: 00AA, occupation Businessman, married 3.8.1908, in Winnipeg,Canada, Edith Mary Read #10, born 4 April 1887, Buchland Woodnesborough Kent, (daughter of William Read #1168 and Mary Ann Gibbs #420) ref: 00AA, died 7 Sept 1978, Keewatin Ontario Canada, Confirmed at 16 18 May 1904 St Clemets. Charles died 11 Feb1968, Victoria B.C.Canada. Named in father's will in 1924 when Charles is in Canada address St.James, Winnipeg. Address of father at date of CO's birth was 14 EffaParade
(a) Charles Read Merredew #7 born 5.7.1909, Winnipeg,Canada, ref: 00AA, married Elsie Elizabeth Russell #8, born 08 April 1909, Rotherfield East Sussex, (daughter of Benjamin Thomas Russell #312 and Mary Ellen Couling #573) ref: 00AA, died 1986, Keewatin Ont. Charles died 11.1.1989, Winnipeg,Canada. Elsie: Note that Rotherfield is a small town just outside of Crowborough East Sussex
 Charles Russell Merredew #1 (details excluded), married Elva Shirley Remus #2, (details excluded), (daughter of Herman Arthur Remus #395 and Irene Mabel Graeber #409).
[A] Charles Remus Merredew #3 (details excluded), married Maureen Fairthorne #121, (details excluded), (daughter of William Fairthorne #1504 and Loretta McGee #1505).
1. Rachel Irene Merredew #122 (details excluded).
[B] Mark Reid Merredew #4 (details excluded).
[C] K.Maria M. Merredew #5 (details excluded).
[D] Paul Edward Merredew #6 (details excluded).
(b) William George Merredew #11 born 11.11.1911, Winnipeg,Canada, married Winifred A. Nightingale #123, (details excluded). William died c1990.
 Gerald Robert Merredew #124 born 10 April 1940, Winnipeg Man, died 1 Oct 1940, Winnipeg Man.
 Gary William Merredew #125 (details excluded), married Verna Joyce Sternat #126, (details excluded).
[A] David Michael Merredew #127 (details excluded).
[B] Daniel Benjamin Merredew #128 (details excluded).
 Janice Winifred Merredew #129 (details excluded), married Robert Ernest Eppler #130, (details excluded).
[A] Christina Janice Eppler #131 (details excluded), married Paul O'Rourke #1185, (details excluded).
1. Miranda Jennifer O'Rourke #1184 (details excluded).
[B] Allan Robert Eppler #132 (details excluded).
[C] Deborah Alice Eppler #133 (details excluded).
1. Domenico William Eppler #1183 (details excluded).
[D] Jennifer Ann Eppler #134 (details excluded).
(c) Ethel Ann Merredew #12 (details excluded), married Alan G. Smith #1484, (details excluded).
 Ross Fielding Smith #1485 (details excluded), married Lorraine Meade #1487, (details excluded), (daughter of Victor Meade #1509 and Sybina Meade #1510).
[A] Jeffrey Allen Smith #1488 (details excluded), married Fleur Macqueen #1506.
1. Brinnamede Flora Smith #1507 (details excluded).
2. Merridew Mae Smith #1508 (details excluded).
[B] Stephen Victor Smith #1489 (details excluded).
[C] Lisa Lorraine Smith #1490 (details excluded).
 Douglas Read Smith #1486 (details excluded), married June Viola Stacey #1491.
[A] Ann Marie Heather Smith #1492 (details excluded).
[B] David John Smith #1493 (details excluded).
(d) Robert Walter Merredew #13 (details excluded), married Janet Godfrey #135.
 Damon Merredew #136 (details excluded), married Merredew/carol/wife/damon136 #137.
[A] Laurie Merredew #138.
[B] Sarah Merredew #139.
[C] Stephen Merredew #140.
 Florence Merredew #141 (details excluded), married John D Bradley #319.
[A] Matthew Bradley #1133 (details excluded).
(3) Ernest Walter Merredew #17 born c1885, Lambeth, ref: 00AA, married Rose Coleman #142. Ernest died c1958, New York. Named in father's will in 1924 when Ernest was in Canada McDermott Ave., Winnipeg.Emigrated to Rochester N.Y.
(a) Dorothy Merredew #143 (details excluded).
(4) Percy Robert Merredew #18 born 1886, Lambeth,Sry, ref: 00AA, married c1914, in Lambeth,Sry, Louisa Sarah Miller #144, born 24.8.1880, ref: 00AA, died 14.1.1972, Croydon,Sry., buried: Wallasey. Percy died 20.5.1938, Shipley,Yorks. An executor to father's will in 1914 address 121 Norbury Cres.SW.Date of death from probate index wife named as Louisa Sarah.Age 51 at death address at death 39 Nab Lane,Shipley,Yorks. Louisa died in Harold Rd. London 14.1.1972. Also lived at 70 Courtfield Rise, West Wicklam, Kent. worked at Barclays Bank. Louisa: In will proved 1972 names niece Vera Margaret Vening, Elizabeth Dorothy lang & Louisa Eleanor Williams. She requests to buried in the grave at Wallasey with her husband and mother.
6. Thirza Jane Ottery #243 born 11 JUN 1827, Ilminster, Somerset, England, occupation Dressmaker [1851 Census], died 1891, Lambeth, buried: Name may be Thurza, 1851 census shows her at home w/ mother.
7. Mark Ottery #244 born 15 SEP 1829, died 7 Dec 1832.
8. Leah Ottery #245 born 12 NOV 1833, Ilminster, Somerset, England, ref: LDS #152661.
B. Mary Chedzey #1203 born 2 Feb 1797, Ilminster Som, died before 1802.
C. Mary #2 Chedzey #1204 born 16 Aug 1802, Ilminster Som.
D. John Chedzey #1205 born 12 Nov 1807, Ilminster Som, married (1) 25 Dec 1834, Maria Norris #1206, married (2) in LDS Film 7713325 Married as widower, Anna Kelland #1207.