From book "Descendants of James Stanclift of Middletown, Connecticut and Allied Families", By Robert C. and Sherry [Smith] Stancliff
Go to: Home Page
WILLIAM ORE FAMILY
(377) NANCY JANE7 STANCLIFF (William6, Russel5, James4, James3, William2, James1)
Daughter of William and Jane [____] Stancliff born Erie County, PA 1836(1), died Erie, Erie County, PA July 9, 1903(2), married in Erie City by her grandfather, the Reverend Russel Stancliff, Jan. 9, 1853 WILLIAM ORE son of Benjamin and Ann [____] Ore born Bodman, England near London May 26, 1832, died Erie County, PA Oct. 19, 1911(3).
Nancy Jane moved with her father and his second wife to Illinois in 1843, she was with him there in the 1850 Census. She probably returned to Washington Township, Erie County, PA soon after his death in 1851.
There is a naturalization Record for William Ore born 1832 that indicates he emigrated from England to Erie County, PA in 1841(4). William Ore's father, Benjamin Ore, was known to have been born in England(5). In 1851 Benjamin and Ann Ore for $300.00 purchased 50 acres of land in Washington Township, Erie County, PA from Russel and Desire [____] Stancliff(6). The land was next to Russel's own farm.
Nancy and William Ore inherited land from Russel Stancliff in Washington Township after his death in 1856. The land was part of Russel's farm and was conveyed with the provision that proceeds from the land would be used to support Russel's widow for the remainder of her life. On Jan. 13, 1859 William Ore also purchased 25 acres, or one half of the parcel, of land that Russel Stancliff had sold to his parents Benjamin and Ann Ore in 1851. William gave a deed for that land to Margaret A. [Graham] Stancliff in what may be a mortgage agreement or even a swap of land on Nov. 2, 1861(7). On the same day William Ore purchased a parcel of land from James and Margaret A. Stancliff. For the sum of $200.00 James and Margaret A. Stancliff conveyed 25 acres of land in Washington Township(8), and the description determines that this was the land that was bequeathed by Russel Stancliff to Nancy's Uncle James as directed in Russel's will. The remainder of Russel Stancliff's farm was purchased by William Ore from the other heirs, Nancy's siblings, in Knox County, IL(9).
William and Nancy Ore remained in Washington Township on the Farm until 1884, when they moved to Conneaut, Ashtabula County, OH and were in the restaurant business for a year or so. They moved back to PA and resided in the City of Erie.
On July 17, 1900 William Ore then aged 68, applied for an Invalid Pension for his Military service during the Civil War. He declared at that time that he was a resident of the City of Erie, Erie County, PA, and that he was mustered into the service at Ridgeway, PA on Mar. 6, 1865 for a period of one year in Company E, 18th Regiment of Pennsylvania Cavalry. He was discharged at Cumberland, Allegany County, MD on July 3, 1865. William seems to have spent much of his time in the hospital at Cumberland, Md before being given what was probably a medical discharge. At that date he evidently was suffering from the liver disease that caused him much pain in following years.
In reply to the personal questions he stated his wife was Nancy Jane Stancliff and gave dates for the marriage and for the births of his children.
CHILDREN: William and Nancy Jane [Stancliff] Ore
1. EMMA A. ORE born July 8, 1857, married at Harborcreek, Erie County, PA Mar. 24, 1880 by Rev. G. W. Cleavland to JOHN J. FLURY, both listed as residents of Harborcreek, Erie County, PA(10)
2. FRED R. ORE born Aug. 16, 1861, a mail carrier at Erie.
3. FRANK H. ORE born Edinboro, Washington Township, Erie County, PA Dec. 14(11), 1864, married Harbor Creek, Erie County, PA Jan. 5, 1885 GEORGIANA HYKE daughter of C. C. Hyke of Harbor Creek, Erie County, PA. He was an agent on the New York Central and Saint Louis Rail Road at Moorheads, Harbor Creek P.O. PA
See Appendix A: ORE
1. .1870 PENNSYLVANIA CENSUS, McKean Township, 84/84, age 34
2. .Obituary notice, Erie Dispatch, issue of July 10, 1903
3. .The Military Records of William Ore contain the birthdate and place, and the date of death.
4. .ERIE COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA NATURALIZATIONS -1825-1906, compiled by members of the Erie Society for Genealogical Research, Inc, page 105
5. .NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY, page 801
6. .Erie County Land Records Vol.17, page 711
7. .Erie County, PA Land Records, Vol. 14, page 93
8. .Erie County, PA Land Records Vol. 12, page 1087
9. .Erie County, PA Land Records Vol. 30, page 258
10. .ERIE DISPATCH issue of Mar. 25, 1880
11. .The date 14 appears in the biography of Frank in NELSON'S BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY AND HISTORICAL REFERENCE BOOK OF ERIE COUNTY, page 801. His father's Military record states the date as Dec. 13, 1864.
Go to: Home Page
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids