From book "Descendants of James Stanclift of Middletown, Connecticut and Allied Families", By Robert C. and Sherry [Smith] Stancliff
Go to: Home Page
NOAH MILES FAMILY
DAVID B. STANCLIFF married AMY MILES
Born about 1750, died Athens County, OH 1822, married RHODA WILCOX daughter of Daniel and Ann [Rogers] Wilcox "Annie" of Genesee, NY.
Noah served during the Revolutionary War, enlisting in Col. Abraham Brinkerhoff's Regiment of Minute Men of Dutchess County, New York Militia.
He appeared in 1790 Census living Pittstown, Albany County, NY in an area that later became Rensselaer County, NY. The Loveless family that also located in Athens County, OH was found near them in the same census. He was living Sunderland, Bennington County, VT by 1800. He was in Town of Alfred, Allegany County, NY in 1810. Next door to him was son Thomas and son-in-law Noah Wilcox. In 1820 he was in Lee Township, Athens County, OH, still near Noah Wilcox and not far from Stanbrough Stancliff and David B. Stancliff. By 1820 Noah and Thomas Miles, and Noah Wilcox were all in Lee Township, Athens County, OH. In the 1830 Census Stephen, Benjamin and Thomas Miles were all located in Lodi Township, Athens County, OH.
It is probable that Noah is in some way related to Benjamin Miles of Washington County, Ohio whose son John was also a resident of Athens County, OH.
CHILDREN: Noah and Rhoda [Wilcox] Miles(1)
1. BENJAMIN MILES born VT about 1776, died about 1859
2. BENNAJAH MILES born VT 1778, died about 1849, married Athens County, OH Oct. 20, 1818 CATHERINE DUNKLE(2)
3. STEPHEN MILES born 1780.
4. THOMAS MILES born Dutchess County, NY Apr. 29, 1782, died Mendon, Adams County, IL Sept. 29, 1842, married about 1807 SALLY SEGER born Mar. 5, 1788, died Everett Township, Cass County, MO 1870 at home of her son, Adrain Miles.
5. NANCY MILES born 1784, married June 27, 1802(3) NOAH WILCOX, Nancy filed for divorce in Athens County, OH on April 1, 1829 saying that he failed to support her and the children, beat her and committed adultery. They lived next to Noah Miles in the 1810 Census of Allegany County, NY in the Town of Alfred. They were also in the 1820 Athens County Census Records. He purchased spectacles at the estate sale of Stanbrough P. Stancliff in 1820.
6. TAMER MILES born 1786
7. RUTH MILES born 1790
8. AMY MILES born NY 1780 or according to census born between 1795-1804(4), died Athens County, OH 1828, married as his first marriage Athens County, OH July 25, 1820(5), license July 4, 1820(6), by David Culbertson D.D., DAVID B. STANCLIFF son of Stanbrough and Sibbel [Davis] Stancliff born "near Niagara Falls" in 1795, died Ross County, Ohio Feb. 13, 1849, buried in Sigler Cemetery, Jefferson Township, Ross County, OH(7). Amy and David had children Perry, Miles, Lucinda, Amy, Susannah, and Thomas Stancliff.
9. ESTHER MILES born May 22, 1796(8), died Athens County, OH May 7, 1882, married Allegany County, NY Jan. 12, 1812 SAMUEL FROST son of Benjamin Frost born VT Nov. 14, 1791, died Cincinnati, Hamilton County, OH Dec. 14, 1855. The birth places of their children suggest that they came to Ohio between 1813 and 1818. In 1860 she lived Lodi Township, Athens County, OH in the household of her son, Abner Frost.
1. Several researchers have contributed group sheets on the Miles Family to the Records of the Church of the Latter Day Saints. These sheets cite "family records" as a source". These records have numerous conflicts in birth years and order of birth for these children.
2. Marriage records of Athens Co OH
3. Athens County Divorce Records, Supreme Court Record 1814-1837 page 178
4. .Miles family recirds indicate Amy's birth year was 1780, but the OH 1820 CENSUS, Athens County, Lee Township, indicates her birth was between 1795 and 1804. Considering the fact that her son, Thomas was born in 1827, it is unlikely that she was born 1780 and bearing children in her late 40's.
5. Athens County, OH Court of Common Pleas Appearance Docket dated 1821-1835, page 79
6. .On this same day, Noah Miles and Thomas Miles posted bonds for David as Administrator of his father's, Stambrough Perigrene Stancliff, estate, according to Athens County Court of Common Pleas Record, page 210.
7. The headstone in Sigler Cemetery indicates that the stone was erected by his son James.
8. Miles family records say she was born 1788 but the OH 1850 CENSUS, Athens County, Lodi Township, 2155/2175, says she was born VT and age 55. Frost records give exact date of birth.
Go to: Home Page
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids