Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

                        SEBASTIAN ROYER                                          9

The erection of a Lutheran and the other for a Reformed church(+).
But it is established by the deed that the trustees of the Lutheran
church bought the land direct from the Penns, yet Sebastian may
have supplied the money. He is not mentioned in Lutheran church
records at Brickerville. This church property ran along Sebas-
tian's land, and may have been secured by the trustees before Se-
bastian had his deed from the Penns. But it is also established by
deed that he did give land for the erection of a Reformed Church,
designated as Zion Reformed, but long known as Royer's. This
church stands on the hill up from the side-wooded ravine in which
nestled the home of Sebastian Royer. A stone might have been
thrown by a single cast from the church to the Royer home. Al-
though this land was bought by Reformed trustees in 1747, yet it
was still a part of the Royer estate in 1759, when the heirs deeded
the estate to the Brubakers.
     When Sebastian Royer first bought land in Lancaster County,
we have not ascertained for a certainty. He owned land in Lea-
cock Twp, Lanc. Co. in 1735. From here he likely moved to
Brickerville, Warwick Twp., same county. He bought 64 acres from
the Penns, Aug. 25, 1742; and 222 acres, Jan. 26, 1743,--the latter
tract had been bought by a Moyer, who failed to meet conditions,
and the tract had reverted to the Penns. June 20, 1754. Sebastian

been let loose, struggled for further manifestation. A hearty assist into the
saddle was given, with result that the preacher landed on the other side. Such
horsemanship was too much for Sebastian Royer. "Du dummer Oehs!" ("You
stupid ox") he exclaimed. The youthful; pastor was much dejected when he ar-
rived at White Oak to fill that appointment. The good members expected to
find joy. "They the are a cruel people in America," cried he, "Sebastian Royer
called me a stupid ox,"

     The Lutheran church at Brickerville, known as the old Warwick Church,
was organized in 1730, and a place of worship erected about three hundred yards
south of the Horse-Shoe Pike, now owned by Mrs. Samuel Engle. This church
was used as a hospital during the Revolutionary War. A second place of wor-
ship was built on what is now a part of the graveyard, and in 1808 the present
building was erected, no doubt the finest church at that time. The first two were
wooded structures, but the present is a brick building. This was at one time a
of large congregation, but split in two when the General Council Lutherans with-
drew from the General Synod in 1866--From the History of Lancaster Co. by
Ellis and Evans

Zion Reformed Church is on the road leading from Brickerville to Brunnerville,
about one-half mile from the former place. This church was organized about
1740. It was long known as Royer's Church, and in old deeds it was called
Presbyterian. In 1747, Peter Becker, Wendel Lober, Jacob Hagy and Tillman
Shitz
bought two or three acres of land of Sebastian Royer for the erection of
church and burying the dead. The first church was built of wood, while the
second was built of brick in 1813. During the Revolutionary War the old wooden
church was used as a hospital, and some of the soldiers who died in the church
are buried in the graveyard. The material of the old log church was taken to
Warwick, Lancaster County, and converted into a dwelling house by John
Kissinger.
The church has money on inters.--From The History of Lancaster
County by Ellis and Evans. The present (1912) pastor of Zion Reformed is Rev.
Geo. B. Raezer
, Lititz, Pa.

Homepage     Table of Contents     Indexes     Next Page