Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Bisset Resources Pages

Copyright Information

This brochure was published in 1997 by Strutt & Parker, Estate Agents, in connection with the sale of Lessendrum.   Permission to reproduce it here has been given by Strutt & Parker.

Lessendrum Estate, Huntly, Aberdeenshire

less-tn1.jpg (4118 bytes)  Lessendrum before the 1928 fire.

less-tn3.jpg (4471 bytes)  Lessendrum in 1997.

less-tn4.jpg (3445 bytes)  An aerial view of the estate in 1997.

less-tn2.jpg (3803 bytes)  A detailed plan of the estate and associated buildings in 1997.

 

From the Estate Agent's Brochure :-

DESCRIPTION

Lessendrum is the Home Farm of the original Estate of Lessendrum with its former mansion house and associated policies, situated to the north of Huntly in the Deveron Valley. It is a productive farming area which still retains its rural character. Corse of Kinnoir, an exceptional commercial farm is within the same ownership and is being marketed in this package.

Aberdeen 41 miles, Huntly 3 miles

Former Lessendrum mansion house and stable block.

Scandinavian Farmhouse with panoramic views towards the

Clashmach hills.

2 derelict traditional cottages.

Substantial traditional home farm steading with attractive frontage and modern cattle courts.

302 arable acres.

44 acres woodland and policy ground.

Walled garden.

About 351 acres (142 hectares)

For sale as a whole

 

THE ESTATE

Lessendrum was, in its prime, the home to the Murray Bisset family. The principal house, dating from 1470, was extended by Aberdeen Architect, Archibald Simpson in 1837. The house was sadly destroyed by fire in 1928. The structure remains, but is now overgrown and merges into the mature wooded policy ground. A challenge for the imaginative purchaser to restore it to its former glory!!

Within the policies there are further indications of the former grandeur of Lessendrum with the walled garden, stable block, dovecote, site of tennis court and even the design of the Home Farm buildings themselves suggest the status of Lessendrum. It is believed that there may be a baronial title attached to Lessendrum and the site of the former Barons Cottage give considerable weight to this supposition. Lessendrum is an extremely attractive property with considerable sporting potential, further enhanced by the current proprietors planting programme to regenerate the mature avenues and woodland belts throughout the policies, which total some 44 acres.

The land at Lessendrum is a combination of the designation Grade 3 (1) and 3 (2) according to the Macaulay Land Use Research Institute and is capable of producing a wide range of crops. The fields are of good shape and size for agricultural practices. It has been run in conjunction with Corse of Kinnoir since its purchase in 1981.

 

SITUATION

Lessendrum is situated to the north of Huntly, a thriving market town which still retains a livestock market. The area is well serviced by machinery suppliers and specialists in the agricultural industry, as well as land based research organisations.

Huntly provides a range of services, including primary and secondary schools, churches, post office, health centre, community centre including swimming pool, tennis courts, bowling green, Nordic ski course, supermarkets, falconry centre, and a rail link to Aberdeen.

The nearby towns of Inverurie (23 miles), Turriff (13 miles) also provide comprehensive shopping facilities.

The area is easily accessible from Aberdeen where there is a mainline railway station with regular inter city links and an airport with a wide range of domestic (Aberdeen to London 1 hours) and international flights. Aberdeen, the Oil Capital of Europe, provides a wide range of shops, education facilities and entertainment.

The area also offers considerable potential for outdoor pursuits, including grouse shooting, deer stalking, fishing on the river Deveron and ski-ing at the Lecht.

 

HISTORICAL

Lessendrum was the ancestral home to the Bisset family who allegedly acquired the Estate in 1252, and retained it for 729 years until 1981 when the current proprietors purchased it.

The Bissets, the oldest established line in Aberdeenshire first settled in Scotland under William The Lion. Various wings of the family settled in Ross-shire, the Merse, the borders and Aberdeenshire. Until 1242 the Bisset Clan had been both powerful and numerous, however, the Border Bissets were disgraced and outlawed following their treacherous assassination of the young Earl of Atholl at Haddington.

The Aberdeenshire Bissets made Lessendrum their home and built the original Lessendrum Mansion house in Norman style. It was later extended and repaired in 1837 by Aberdeen Architect Archibald Simpson for Walter Bisset. However in 1928 the house was tragically destroyed by fire in less than 4 hours when there was failure in the heating system in the furnace room. Many priceless works of Art were destroyed in the fire including a portrait of Lord Howard of Effingham who commanded Queen Elizabeth's fleet against the Armada. (Further details on request.)

 

DIRECTIONS

From Aberdeen take the A96 past Inverurie towards Huntly. One mile before Huntly turn right on to the A97 signposted Banff. Continue northwards for two miles, after the sign to Kinnoir and Rothiemay, take the third right hand opening to Lessendrum, beside the sale board.

 

 

VIEWING

Strictly by appointment through Strutt & Parker, Telephone 0 1 330 824888.

 

ENTRY

By arrangement.

 

PARTICULARS OF SALE

Lessendrum

About 351 acres (142.05 hectares)

Lessendrum is an extremely attractive property with many areas of the Estate displaying examples of its past grandeur. The farmland is very productive and has been run with Corse of Kinnoir.

 

Lessendrum Mansion

(A on plan)

The former mansion house is grade C (S) listed and was originally occupied by the Murray Bisset family. Lessendrum mansion dates back as far as 1470 but was enlarged in 1816 and in 1837 by Archibald Simpson. It was burnt out in 1928 and now stands as a roofless ruin, within extensive heavily wooded grounds. The earlier house, a two storey structure, was L-shaped on plan and provided a core for the later additions made to the north-west side. Although largely destroyed by fire, a considerable amount of the structure remains.

Lessendrum poses a challenge for imaginative restoration if the purchaser is so inclined.

 

Lessendrum Farmhouse

(B on plan)

Built in the 1970s, blockwork, harled exterior, of modern design Lessendrum Farmhouse occupies a commanding hillside position overlooking the farm. It is currently subject to a service tenancy and is occupied by Mr. E Muller, the tractorman. The accommodation on two, floors comprises:

 

LESSENDRUM FARMLAND

The land at Lessendrum lies between 100m to 170m above sea level and is designated by the Macaulay Land Use Research Institute as Grade 3 (1) and Grades 3 (2). It is therefore suitable for growing a wide range of crops. Potatoes have been grown to VTSC standard on a 7 year rotation in conjunction with the unit at Corse of Kinnoir, computer records for the field cropping history have been kept for the last ten years which are available on request. The fields are of a good shape, and most have free draining soil. The fields are well served by an excellent system of former estate drives.

The farm is a member of the Scottish Quality Cereals. The grain crop is mostly marketed through the Aberdeen Grain Co-operative and in 1997 the entire barley crop of Chariot went for malting except one field.

 

WOODLAND

The forestry at Lessendrum is predominantly that of mature policy woodlands and the majority of the estate drives boast mature avenue planting. The sporting potential of Lessendrum is considerable and this has been further enhanced with the extensive regenerative planting work undertaken by the current proprietors. The planting is predominantly broadleaves and includes beech, elm, birch, lime, sycamore, oak, hawthorn, and numerous woody shrubs for ground game.

 

SPORTINGS

The sportings at Lessendrum are let in conjunction with those at Corse of Kinnoir on an annual lease to a Mr. P King.

The lease expires at the end of the current season.

The proprietor leases additional shootings over Lodge Wood at Lessendrum (coloured in yellow on the sale plan). A new lease has been agreed with the Forestry Authority to rent the Lessendrum shootings (as per the plan) at a yearly rent of 185 plus VAT for a period of three years.

 

Butlers Cottage

(C on plan)

Situated close to the Lessendrum Walled Garden, the cottage of stone and slate construction is derelict but has the potential for renovation. The room layout gives the following accommodation on two floors.

 

Lessendrum Home Farm Buildings

(D on plan)

The buildings at Lessendrum include the former traditional Home Farm buildings of stone and slate construction which have an attractive frontage and would lend themselves to conversion for alternative use. There is a large central courtyard. The external measurement is 35.6m x 29.0m.

 

Traditional Buildings:

The West Wing:

Forms the frontage to the steading, the left half has already been part converted into bothy style accommodation and is used for shooting lunches. There is a feature castellated tower and covered archway.

The North Wing:

Sub-divided to provide byre accommodation, garaging and diesel store including 3 feature archways.

The East Wing:

Created by a monopitch concrete block lean-to which has been used as a byre.

The South Wing:

Contains the grain drying equipment and is adjoined by a tin clad and roofed building. Contained within are 12 x 30 tonne bins (4.6m x 3.2m x 2.65m) with three smaller bins which link into the front of the west wing.

There is a top feed conveyor and bottom emptying conveyor, a Boswells of Blairgowrie dresser and Pemnay and Porter diesel powered drier.

 

Lessendrum Stable Block

(E on plan)

The stables, dating from the 19th century, survived until 1981 when they too were destroyed by fire. L-shaped in design and built of stone with feature coach arch they provide an opportunity for redevelopment. There would be the potential to develop two storey accommodation if required from the remaining roofless structure. The building width is 6m and the combined length of the L is some 44m.

 

Blackblair Croft

(F on plan)

Derelict cottage of stone and slate single storey construction. Access track one field away and electricity nearby.

Queries to: Jim Rowe ( contact me )

Return to the Bisset Resources page