Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Ros Davies' Co. Down, Northern Ireland Family History Research Site
© Rosalind Davies 2001
Permission granted to reprint research for non-profit use only

School information K...- W....
from all parishes in Co. Down, Ireland

DR stands for an article in the Down Recorder newspaper.Most information is from Ordnance Survey Memoirs of 1836

Schools arranged alphabetically by townland or name of the school

K L M N O & P R S T & U W

 

click here for Schools A...-I...

click here to see the schools in parish order instead & if any photos are available
click here for a list of School class photos
click here for some schoolhouse photos

Try the Public Records site; http://proni.nics.gov.uk/school/intro.htm

Katesbridge
Drumballyroney P.

a National School opened in 1886 and unique in that it wasn't attached oa church but operatedby the Ministry of Education; closed in 2000;photo available ORHB p35; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #748
Kearney
Ballytrustan parish

50 Protestants; 50 Catholics; 67 males; 33 females; supported by the London Hibernian Society for £10- £12 per year and the scholars pay 1 penny per week for reading; 1 half penny for reading & writing & 2 pence for arithmetic; establishes 1822 at a cost of £250, paid by subscription; the master receives £120 a year from the Society in 1836; school social 6 Jan 1912 (JUAHS 2012 p32); records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #120; LDS film#247467 1870- 1929

Kilclief

-17 males ; 6 females; all Catholics; supported by £2 per year from Rev. Mr. Leslie and from the scholars 1 penny to 2 pennies per week in 1836; called St. Malachy's ;

Kilclief Public Elementary School ; called Cairnashoke; rebuilt 1867 & 1928 (Inv 2007 p3,8) , enrolment in 2006 was 60 & threatened with closure DR 29/3/2006; records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #909
Kilhorne
Kilkeel parish

records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #1024

Kilkeel

- 50 males & 4 females; rebuilt 1816 at a cost of £50 & the children pay 16 shillings & 3 pence per quarter. All Catholics in 1836

- this schoolhouse was formerly a church & converted into a schoolhouse in 1836; was under the Kildare Society but now Lord Kilmorey supports with £31 to the master & Rev. Mr. Close gives £9 to the master per year in 1836; soiree 8 Aug 1863 DR;

Free School for males & females ; master was John Moore & mistress was Isabella McConnell in 1856
an Infant's School; mistress was Isabella Hanna in 1856
National School; master was John Brady in 1856; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #720
Kilkinamurry
Garvaghy parish

records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #749

Killaughy
Donaghadee parish
erected in 1829 at a cost of £70, the Kildare Street Society gave £20 & the remainder collected by subscriptions; under the Synod of Ulster; the master, a Protestant, received £ 4 from the Synod a year & 1-2 shillings a quarter from the children; 54 males; 12 females; 65 Protestants; 1 Catholic in 1836; new National School 12 Nov 1898 (NC)
Killinchy - boy's school; erected in 1825 at a cost of £368; the Kildare Place Society granted £105 ; the Rev Henry Ward gave £88 & the parishioners gave £99; it was formerly under the National Board which gave £14 a year for the teacher's salary but in 1833 it was under the London Hibernian Society which supplies books only; 82 males; all Protestant; the master receives no money from the pupils but Rev Ward paid him £23 a year in 1836
- female school; see above for building costs; erected in 1828; 65 females; all Protestants; under the London Hibernian Society; the mistress received £13 a year from Rev. H. Ward, rector in 1836
- a small school situated about a mile on the road between Comber & Killinchy; under no Board; 27 scholars; 26 Presbyterians; 1 Catholic; the master received 1 shilling & 8 pence per quarter from each pupil in 1836
there were 12 schools in the parish in 1833; the 4th school was a private school with about 100 pupils; the 5th & 6th schools were supported by the National Board with grants of £8-10 a year & the scholars paying 1 shilling & 8 pence for reading and 2 shillings for writing & 2 shillings a 6 pence for arithmetic; 7th, 8th , 9th & 10th schools received assistance from the Kildare Street Society of £7-8 a year , the scholars in the 6th,7th& 8th paid the same as the National Board schools & in the 10th school the pupils paid 1-2 pennies a week; the Rev Ward assisted the 11th school with the pupils paying one penny a week & 12th school where the pupils paid 2-3 shilling a quarter ; there were 101 males & 63 females at the National Board schools & 120 males & 90 females at the Kildare Society schools in 1836
Killinchy Public Elementary School (near the Church of Ireland); click here for class photos for 1936,1938, 1939 & 1940
Killinchy Woods
Killyleagh parish
near Crossgar; soiree & presentation, teachers & pupils 26 Nov 1853 DR;records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #328
Killough
Bright parish

- A Charter School was built in 1737 by Judge Ward but closed 1737 (LM 1999 p9) ; next one in the village was set up in 1828 with funds from Ward family & will of Rev. Hamilton (KCL p 77) supported by the London Hibernian Society; taught by Robert Nelson, clerk of the church; 14 males; 26 females; 22 Protestants; 26 Catholics; the house was donated by Lord Bangor and the teacher receives a certain sum from the London Hibernian Society in proportion to the number of pupils who pass an examination by its inspector. One shilling a week is paid by the pupils in 1836; originally in Fisherman's Row then moved to Palantine Square in 1837 (KCL p 77) ; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #668

: James McCartan taught a school in his own house; 15 Protestants; 55 Catholics; 50 males; 20 females; he has applied to the Commissioners of Education in 1836; a National School by 1840 (KCL p 78) next teacher was Mr Denvir; a girl's school opened 1841 with Mary Keenan as teacher; exams 28 Feb 1880 DR; soiree & concert 8 Jul 1882 DR; fete 26 Aug 1882 DR; in 1910, the male's teacher was M. Buckley & female's teacher Miss Denvir (POD)

Needlework is taught by Miss Hamilton at a day school & 4th a classical school is kept by My Smyth in 1836

- a Boarding & day school- notice 19 Jun 1858 DR; notice 18 Sep 1858
- Mr Smyth ran a Classical school in 1830 (KCL p 78)
- Lord Bangor School in Palatine Square ; built in 1837 ; 2 large classrooms (LR 2006 p34) ; in 1910 there was the Viscount Bangor National School with teacher Miss Gardner (POD)
Killowen and Mourne
Kilbroney parish

in a good slated cottage, 3 miles from Rostrevor on the old road between Rostrevor and Kilkeel; established 1819; income from the pupils was £8 per year; the salary of the master was £16 a year; intellectual & moral education; spelling & reading books from the Education Society; Authorised Version of the Scriptures read; visited by Protestant & Catholic clergy; 52 males; 21 females; 1 Presbyterian; 72 Catholics; master was James Cull, a Catholic in 1836

Killyleagh

- established in 1820; supported by Kildare Street Society; the master received £25 a year from Lord Dufferin and 1 penny per week from the children; the schoolhouse is kept in good repair by Lord Dufferin; 86 males; 76 females; 146 Protestants; 76 Catholics; the master and mistress were Protestants in 1836; National school exam for female teacher 7 Mar 1846 DR;

- a private school opened in 1837; the master was a Protestant and received payment from the children according to their studies usually about £24 a year;30 boys ; all Protestants in 1836

- female school- article 19 May 1838 DR:
- Select School; ( could be #2) exams 30 Jun 1849 DR; exams 6 Jul 1850 DR;
- Committee School, exams 9 Jan 1841 DR;
- Embroidery School; article 21 Jun 1851 DR
- fund raising for new school house in Irish Street, list of names 3 Jan 1885 DR;
- opening new school- at the rear of 2nd Presbyterian church in Cow Street 3 Jan 1885 DR; click here for a photo

- St Marys National School ; opened 1901; the first pupils enrolled were:
BOYS; Joseph Kerr, Irish Street; Patrick Keenan, Catherine Street; Arthur Mason, Shrigley; Robert McKeating, Irish Street; John Hughes, Shrigley; Thomas Rooney, Catherine Street; Patrick James Brennan, Tullychin; Patrick Brennan , Shrigley; Patrick Massay, Plantation Street; Alfred Vaughan, Moseys Arch; Francis Hughes, Plantation Street; Francis Keenan, Catherine Street; Edward Duffy, Irish Street, Edward Mason, Shigley; Alexander Davy, Shrigley; George Burns, Shrigley; Harry Fitzsimmons, Irish Street; John H. Quinn, Corporation; James Gibson, Shrigley.

GIRLS: Alice Duffy, Shrigley; Catherine Lundy, Corporation; Nellie Burns, Irish St,; Maggie Kinchella, Corporation; Maggie McAffrey, Shrigley; Maggie Hanna, Shrigley; Maggie Fairfield, Shrigley; Cissie Kennan, Catherine St; Maggie Murphy, Corporation; Josephine McGrady, High St; Mary McCormick, Shore St, Maggie Whiteman, Maymore; Nellie Flannigan, Shrigley; Sarah Anne Kennan, Breakys Lane; Cassie Davey, Shrigley; Lizzie Fairfield, Shrigley; Mary Flannigan, Shrigley; Jane McGlogan, Shrigley; Mary Duffy, Irish St; Jane Lunday, Corporation; records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #958

School records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #979 & film #1701995 ref 689 & Irish Street ref #690 7 St Marys film #1701996 ref #958; Church of Ireland & Presbyterian schools amalgamted 6 Apr 1939 to form new central school near Shanes Lough

Killynether
Comber parish

National School here in 1863-GV

Killynure
Saintfield parish

records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #326

Killysavan
Donaghmore parish
see under Four Towns National School
Killyscolvan see below under Skillyscolvan
Killysorrell
Dromore parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1817 with 102 students attending (HSSS); still there in 1836 (OSM)
Kilmegan

under the Association of Discountenancing Vice and patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire; day school scholars, 30 males &10 females; Sunday school scholars 10 males & 10 females; Sunday school teachers 2 males & 1 female in 1836; fete 3 Sep 1881 DR; fete at Murlough 23 Aug 1884 DR;

Kilmood in Kilmood townland near the Church of Ireland; established 1822 with land attached;supported by the Erasmus Smith's Board for £30 a year ;62 males & 56 females; 118 Protestants; the pupils paid a half penny a week; the teacher was J. Lamont; there was also a female school supported by the Hibernian Society in the same building in 1836 ; click here for a photo
Kilmore
in Kilmore parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1815 with 65 students attending (HSSS)

in 1836- - in Kilmore townland opposite Miss Mason's; a mud walled, thatched building, without windows ;erected/repaired in 1828 at the expense of Rev. Mr. Creery; the Association for Discountenancing Vice gave the master £7 per year & Rev Mr. Olden paid him £2 a year; the children pay from 2 shillings to 7 shillings per quarter; 36 boys only; 24 Protestants ; 12 Catholics in 1836;the 1st teacher was Master Schlear who left 1848 & was replaced by Master Smyth;; the schoolhouse fell into decay & the pupils were transfered to the Entry School around 1850

-female school; in Kilmore townland; at the opposite end of the house to the boys; supported by the London Hibernian Society;4 infant boys; 54 females; 7 Catholics; 51 Protestants; the mistress was a Protestant;she receives 1 penny a week from the children in 1836

- Entry School; established in a loft above the old Kilmore church in 1850;pupils transfered from the old school, Crossgar, Scaddy, Annacloy & Rann; master was Mr Smyth then Miss McNeill of Ballykinlar then Mr Cahill;
- Glebe School; on a hill in the rectory field near the old graveyard;

School records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #186 & film 1701994 ref#521 ; LDS film#247491/2/3 1881- 1950

Kilwarlin
Hillsborough parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1816 with 107 students attending (HSSS)

in Corcreeny townland; a neat, brick building, corniced with freestone & a slate roof; near the Moravian chapel;its dimensions were 26 feet by 22 feet; built in 1834 at a cost of £60 which was defrayed by the Marquis of Downshire; it was under the Kildare Place Society & the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire; day school scholars, 51 males & 19 females; Sunday school scholars, 46 males & 35 females; Sunday school teachers, 16 males & 12 females in 1836; prior the building the school was held in the Moravian chapel; the Marquis entertained all school children on his estate 21 Oct 1837 DR; records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1032

Kinallen
Dromore parish
old school now closed but new building nearby (ARF)
Kinghill
Clonduff parish
on the Hilltown road; a plain oblong building, whitewashed & slate roofed; built by William Barron in 1835; the first teachers were William Cotter & catherine MacGlennon (TC p25); in 1836 the income was from National Education Board of £10 a year; from pupils 1 shilling per quarter each; intellectual & moral education; using 5 National Society books on the First Elements of Education; also separate ones on geography and geometry; visited by the Catholic priest; 123 males; 90 females; the patron of the school was William Wynstead Newell Barron Esq. in 1836 (OSM) ; replaced by St.Pauls Cabra in 1964 (DDPP p107)
Kircubbin
Inishargy parish
erected in 1827 at a cost of £130, the Kildare Street Society gave £60, the rest was raised by subscription; the master received £10 a year from the National School Board & 4 -5 pence a week from the pupils; 71 males & 41 females; 118 Protestant & 2 Catholics; the mistress received £8 a year from the National Board & £3 a year from the children in 1836; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #696
Kirkistown
Ardkeen parish

records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #942; see www.cloughey.org.uk/doc/CLOUGHEYHISTORY(young).doc

Kirkland & Toy see under Toy
Knock
Knockbreda parish
formerly under the Kildare Street Society; the master ( a Protestant) received £25 a year form the children & £7.10.0 from a subscription; 26 males; 14 females; 34 Protestants; 6 Catholics in 1836; a National School in 1863-GV
Knockbaragh
Kilbroney parish

supported by the Kildare Place Society; in a good slated house; established in 1823; income from individuals£28 per year; from pupils £5 a year; salary of the master, Bernard Fegan, a Catholic, was £33 per year; intellectual & moral education;; using Dublin reading & spelling books, the Bible & Testament (Authorised Version); visited by Rev. E.J. Evans, vicar, The Rev. Mr. Jacob , curate & the Rev. Patrick McEvoy, parish priest; 62 males; 47 females; 20 Protestants; 5 Presbyterians; 84 Catholics in 1836

Knockbreckan
Knockbreda parish
adjoining the Presbyterian meeting house; established 1836; the master, a Presbyterian, received 2 pence a week from the pupils; 33 males & 27 females in 1836
Knocknagor
Tullylish parish

supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1817 with 47 students attending (HSSS); National School on the Gilford to Banbridge Road; built 1829; suuported by the Hibernian Society;photo available; (OGSLL p45);112 Protestants; 26 Catholics; 71 males; 67 females ; salary from the Society for Discountenancing Vice in 1836; exams 29 Oct 1859 DR; in 1910 the teacher was Miss Connor with assistant Miss Moore (POD); records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #327; closed 1940s

Knocknagunny
Knocknagoney
Holywood parish

southern part of the townland; opened in 1811 with 70 pupils who paid 3-6 pence; 72 males; 16 females; 87 Protestants; 1 Catholic in 1836; supported by £7 a year from the London Hibernian Society & one penny a week from each scholar; built by subscription in 1818 under the patronage of Mr Turnley of Rockport; taught by H. McCready; placed under the society in 1829; a National School in 128563-GV; records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #1020
Knocknasham
possibly Comber parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1817 with 103 students attending (HSSS)

Lawrencetown
Tullylish parish

called Bann National school; a small cottage near the Catholic chapel; established 1832; income from the National Board of £8 per year; from the pupils £12 a year; intellectual & moral education using the Authorised Version of the Scriptures; ; visited by Rev. Edmund McGinness, parish priest; 76 males; 45 females; 27 Presbyterians; 94 Catholics; master was Terence O'Reilly, a Catholic in 1836; the head master in 1910 was Francis Armstrong with headmistress Mrs Armstrong & assistant teacher Miss Fealy(POD) ; records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1278; click here for a class photo 1932; click here for a photo of the school building

Legananny
Drumgooland parish
opened in Morgan's Barn in 1834 (DDPP p87); teacher was John Gilmer in 1835; children paid 1-2 pennies a week; 80 males & 41 females (DCPH p 86) then connected to National Board in 1834; new school built 1893; click here for a photo
Ledlie

records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #368

Legacurry
Drumbeg parish
1st public elementary school opened in Co. Down under Education Act of 1923 (DR 28/2/1926*)
Legamaddy
Bright parish

a National School, opened in 1872 (LR 2005 p 47); records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #705

Leggygowan
Saintfield parish
became a National School in 1841 (SHM '90 p30)
Leitrim
Clonduff parish
a Hedge School here in 1824 (DDPP p107) The teacher was James Doyle with 18 students who paid 2 pennies per week (TC p26)
Leitrim
Drumgooland Parish
with Benraw; supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1817 with 305 students attending (HSSS)
teacher was Alex Agar/Edgar; children paid 1 penny a week in 1835; 65 males & 59 females (DCPH p 86); records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #568
Leode
Clonduff parish
there was a hedge school here c. 1830 on Patrick McCumioskey's farm; the teacher was Mr. McConnell (TC p28)
Lessans
Saintfield parish
became a National School in 1843 (SHM '90 p30)
Leverogue
Drumbo parish
established in 1826, unconnected with any society; 57 males; 36 females; 90 Protestants; 3 Catholics; but another source says; under the Kildare Place Society & the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire: day school scholars 25 males & 25 females in 1836
Liberty Hall
Saintfield parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1815 with 90 students attending (HSSS)
Liddell Memorial

records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1028

Lisbane
Tullynakill parish
established in 1833; supported by the London Hibernian Society for £5 a year, the pupils pay as they can; 31 males & 13 females; all Protestants; taught by James Coulter in 1836
Lisbarnet
Kilmood parish
taught by Bernard McAnally in 1836; a National Schoolin 1863(GV); records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #948
Lisburn there were two 'fine' public schools; one for boys opposite the corn market ;the other for girls in Castle Street; there were several other schools in which languages were taught; otherwise Lisburn "is well supplied with schools but the bulk of the people were not as well informed as expected;" in 1836-OSM; William P. Steen headmaster of Intermediate School 1886-1890 (MIs) ;records in PRONI
Lisnacree
Kilkeel parish
a Church Society School in 1863-GV; Star of the Sea; records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1181
Lisnamaugheral
Drumballyroney P.

established 1834; built by subscription and a sum of £45 from the Board of First Fruits

Lisnashanker
Magheralin parish

records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #305

Lisnaslliggan Glebe
Annaclone parish

The Glebe schoolhouse was a plain, stone building 55 feet by 19 feet; the schoolroom was in the east end and the other occupied by the master and his family; the house was built in 1828 at a cost of £120 which was raised by subscription; supported by the London Hibernian Society for £4.10.0 a year & the rector, Rev Michael Sampson for £3 a year & the pupils paid £13 a year; intellectual & moral education; Authorised Version of the Scriptures used; 62 males & 73 females; 15 Protestants; 100 Presbyterians; 20 Catholics; the master was James Moore, a Presbyterian in 1836

Lisnasure
Magheralin parish

records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1029

Lisnisk
Drumballyroney parish

a house with a slated roof, in good repair; established 1822; income from London Hibernian Society per quarter 12 shillings; from pupils 1 to 3 pennies per week; salary of the master was £10 per year; intellectual & moral education; visited by Rev. James Beers, curate; 75 males; 29 females; 16 Protestants; 87 Presbyterians; 1 Catholic; master was Peter Taylor, a Protestant in 1836

Lisowen
Saintfield parish
connected to National School system in 1832;there were 13 Protestant and 11 Catholic upuils in 1832 then in 1837 there were 93 male & 52 females; the building measured 30 x 16 feet; The teacher was John Gourlay ; ( SHM '90 p 29); sending 2 orphan girls to New Zealand 15 Jan 1870 DR; letter from James Anderson re teachers 30 Dec 1876 DR;records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #637
Listullicurran
Dromore parish

under no society - patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire;day school scholars, 10 males & 10 females in 1836

Loughbrickland
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1817 with 75 students attending (HSSS)

- in 1836 - under the Kildare Place Society & the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire;day school scholars, 53 males & 28 females; Sunday school scholars, 47 males & 47 females; Sunday school teachers,6 males & 5 females in 1836

-National schoolhouse on Scarva Road; a one-storey house with one room which is 26 feet by 10 feet; it was built as a schoolhouse in 1833 at a cost of £46.6.3 of which sum £25 was given by the National Board of Education and the remainder by subscription among the Catholics in the parish; the site was given free of rent for 30 years by Nicholas Charles Whyte Esq. Of Loughbrickland House; income was £10 a year from the National Board & £16 a year from the pupils; intellectual & moral education, also writing & arithmetic; Rev. Arthur McArdle, Catholic priest, visits each week; 79 males & 50 females; all Catholics; the master was William Geoghegan , a Catholic in 1836; John Byrnes was the teacher in 1910 (POD)

-Aghaderg School or The Glebe school; near the entrance to the Glebe; a plain, stone building; established 1825; income received from Rev. James Mahon, rector of £2.2.0 a year, from Earl of Clanwillian £ 2.2.0 a year & from the pupils £16 a year; intellectual & moral education; used Dublin reading books & Old & New Testament selections every day ; writing & arithmetic also taught; 109 males & 83 females; 83 Protestants; 88 Presbyterians; 9 Catholics; the master was George Rice, a Protestant in 1836; class photo c. 1920 available (OGSLL p41); closed in 1950s
- a Sunday school; held in the Glebe schoolhouse; established 1825; 91 males & 93 females; 87 Protestants; 84 Presbyterians; 13 Catholics; 8 male teachers; 6 female teachers; connected with the Sunday School Society in 1836
Catholic School built 1864 to replace older buildings near cemetery (DDPP p150)
Loughinisland under the National Board of Education for £8 a year & books; pupils paid 1/6 - 3/6 a quarter; 12 went free; established April 1833; 112 males & 58 females; 150 Catholics; 21 Protestants in 1836 ; new school built in 1910 (DS 2010 p31,32) records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1160
Loughmoney
Ballee parish

12 Protestants; 30 Catholics; 20 males; 22 females; supported by the pupils in 1836

Loughorne
Newry parish

a neat cottage established in 1824; income from a bequest of Mr. Robert Martin of £7 a year; from the pupils £15 a year; intellectual and moral education; supported by the Kildare Street Society for books; visited by Rev. Moses Finlay, Presbyterian minister of Donaghmore;no catechisms; using the Authorized Version of the Scriptures; 45 males; 41 females; 3 Protestants; 81 Presbyterians; 12 Catholics; master was William King , a Presbyterian in 1836;records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1271; replaced by a Parochial School in 105-DDPP p29

Loughries

records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #628

Loughriscouse
Newtownards P.
under the Hibernian Society; erected in 1830; 45 males & 20 females; 64 Protestants & 1 Catholic; the master, a Protestant, received £6 from the Society & 2 shilling per quarter from the pupils in 1836; records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #321
Lurganconary
Kilkeel parish

national School in 1863- GV

Lurganure
Blaris parish

on the Armagh road; patronized by the Kildare Street Society in 1836

Lurganville
Moira parish

in Lurganville townland; established 1810; was formerly under the Kildare Place Society but currently taught by a Presbyterian clergyman; has 40-50 pupils in 1836

school in Bottier townland but called Lurganville school; established 1776; under the Kildare Place Society; 25 pupils;income from the pupils £12 per year; moral education; visited by Rev. William Wynne using Authorised Version of Scripture read daily; 46 males; 24 females; 50 Church of Ireland; 16 Presbyterians; 4 Catholics; master was William John Walker, Church of Ireland in 1836

Magherabeg
Dromore parish

part of a cottage; established 1824; income from London Hibernian Society of £6 a year; from the pupils £12 a year; intellectual & moral instruction; visited by Protestant curates; no catechism taught; Authorised Version of Scripture used; 56 males; 31 females; 30 Protestants; 41 Presbyterians; 16 Catholics; master was John Doak, a Protestant in 1836

Magherahamlet

records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #1047

Magheraknock
Magheradrool parish

43 Protestants; 6 Catholics; 33 males; 16 females; supported by the London Hibernian Society with books; those scholars who are able to pay, pay 4 pence per month; established 15th February 1828; taught by Mr. McIllwain in 1836; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #733

Magheral
Drumballyroney P.

built 1834 & closed 1971 (DDPP p136); records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1287

Magheralin

a Lancastrian school;established 1815; a neat stone cottage with a slate roof; 31 feet by 17 feet; the income is from the pupils at £4 per year; intellectual & moral instruction given; visited by Rev. Boghey Dolling & Rev. Ansley Hugh; Authorised Version of Scripture read daily; 45 males; 15 females; 43 Protestants; 12 Presbyterians; 5 Catholic; master was Robert McVeigh, Church of England in 1836;records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1291

Magherally supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1817 with 94 students attending (HSSS)

- National School; a cottage near the Presbyterian meeting house; established 1828; income from the National Board of Education of £10 per year ; from pupils £8 per year;( the children pay 1 half penny or 2 pence per week)intellectual & moral education given; visited by Presbyterian minister; no catechisms; Authorised Version of Scripture used; 68 males; 44 females; 13 Protestants; 95 Presbyterians; 4 Catholics; master was Andrew Harton a Presbyterian in 1836; records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #148; LDS film#247475 1872- 1939

Magheramayo
Drumgooland parish

male & female National school; on the road from Banbridge to Castlewellan; a slate roofed house in good repair; established 1824; came under National Board in 1831; income from the Board was £10 a year; salary of the master was £15 a year with a house and garden; intellectual & moral education; visited by Rev. P. Morgan, parish priest & Rev. James Porter, Seceding minister of Drumlee; 75 males; 40 females; 1 Protestant; 1 Presbyterian; 113 Catholics; master John Cunningham, a Catholic in 1836; rebuilt 1953; email me for school photos c. 1937 & 1953 (MO2/6/2004);records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1267- (DDPP p65)

Magherary see under Blaris school
Magherascouse
Comber parish
built in 1820;under the National Board in 1836; 1st teacher was Mr. McCashin then ,John Shields, Thomas Hanley, Thomas Bailey McCoughtry, then in 1834 James G. Majoury, then Mr. W.Morrow in 1841 , Mr. Thomas Robinsonin 1881, Mr William Shields in 1898 (MSch p5) In 1910, the teacher was Mr. J. Craigan.
Mayobridge
Clonallan aprish

a Hedge Schoolin 1824, teacher was Edward Grant whose salary was £12 a year; 37 Catholics, 32 boys & 5 girls; (DDPP p101) a National School near Mayo Catholic chapel; a small, slated cottage, established in November 1832; income from The Board was £10 per year and from pupils 1 shilling each quarter; intellectual instruction & moral education; only books furnished by The Board are used; 94 males; 48 females; all Catholics; master Owen Fagan, a Catholic in 1836;records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1270

Maze
Blaris parish

situated inside the course; a roughcast, stone cottage, whitewashed and slated; 31 feet by 15 feet; built in 1817; income from the scholars was £12 a year; under the Kildare Place Society & the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire; intellectual and moral education; visited by Rev. Ralph Bridge; catechisms on Saturdays by the school master; Authorised Version of the Scriptures read daily; day school scholars, 32 males & 24 females; 49 Church of Ireland; 6 Presbyterians; 3 Catholics; master John Kyle, Church of Ireland; Sunday school scholars, 19 males & 24 females; Sunday school teachers, 4 males & 2 females; 66 Protestants; 3 Catholics; books read Bible, Testament & Sunday school spelling books; hours were, in summer 7am to 9am from 2pm to 4pm; in winter open from 2pm to 4 pm; connected with the Sunday School Society for Ireland; no singing or prayer in 1836; by 1910 there were 2 National Schools here with teachers J. Hutton & James Atkinson (POD) ;records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #728

Meenan
Aghaderg parish

records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #799

Millisle
Donaghadee parish
adjoining the meeting house, built in 1836; prior to that it was held in a small house belonging to the master who received 2 pence from the children per week; he did not receive anything from any other person except his dinner once a week from Mrs. Carmichael; he was 76 years of age and educated for the Church of England, took his degree in Scotland, which prevented him from entering the church; 8 males; 7 females; all Protestants in 1836;records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #694
Milltown
Tullylish parish

near Lawrencetown; in 1910 teachers were Mr Magowan & Miss moore with assistants Miss Craig & Miss Hamilton (POD); records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #771

Moira

- supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1817 with 19 8 students attending (HSSS); a male school; a convenient room in the schoolhouse; income from Sir Robert Bateson Esq. Of£5 a year; the rector of the parish gives £2 a year; from the pupils £18 a year; fuel supplied by Sir Robert Bateson Esq. worth £4.10.0 a year; books from the Kildare Place Society, London Hibernian Society and Sunday School Society; moral instruction given; visited by the rector, catechism taught by the rector and master; Authorised Version of Scriptures read; 63 males; 13 females (sic); 62 Church of Ireland; 14 Catholics; master was George Richardson, Church of Ireland in 1836;records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #239

- female school; a convenient room in the schoolhouse; income from Lady Bateson of £10 a year; Sir R. Bateson for fuel at £3 a year; from pupils £8 a year; intellectual & moral education; using London Hibernian Society books; visited by the rector; catechism taught by rector & master; Authorised Version of Scripture read; 30 males under 10 years of age; 70 females; 65 Church of Ireland; 20 Presbyterians; 15 Catholics; mistress Olivia Brownlee, Church of Ireland ; records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #239

Moneydarragh
in Kilkeel parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1817 with 64 students attending (HSSS); there was a hedge school near the site early 1800s (OSM) ; visit their website at http://www.moneydarraghps.org/history/hst.htm; records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1208
Moneygore
Drumballyroney parish
there was a National School here in 1863 (GV)
Moneylane
Kilmegan parish

40 males; 20 females; established 1819; supported by the Association for Discountenancing Vice ; pupils paid 1 penny a week in 1836

Moneyreagh
Comber parish
- on the north side of the Ballyknockan to Belfast road; 99 Protestants; 1 Catholic; 64 males; 36 females; supported by the pupils; built partly by contributions & assisted by a government grant of £80 in 1820; taught by Mr. Cowan/Cavan in 1836; the room was 20 feet by 40 feet ;a National School when the teacher in 1863 was Henry Fletcher-GV; records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #777; click here for a photo of the building
- attached to the above school; 12 females; all Protestants; paid for by the pupils; established 18th May 1834; built by contributions; 33 feet by 16 feet; taught by Miss Emerson in 1836; records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #777
Monteith
Annaclone parish
opened 1866 & amalgamted in 1971 (DDPP p136)
Mount Alexander
Comber parish
records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #658; for information from Electoral Commission Review Oct 1888 see http://eppi.dippam.ac.uk/documents/18272/eppi_pages/483494
Mountpanther
Kilmegan parish
National school; prize for neatness 13 Jun 1857 DR;
Moyallon
Tullylish parish
run by Quakers; teacher in 1824 was Francis Campbell whose salary was £27. 7.6 a year (DDPP p140); records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #768
Moydalgan
Dromara parish

under no society - patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire; day school scholars, 27 males & 14 females in 1836

Mullagh
Killyleagh parish

- one male and female school; in Corporation townland; 98 males; 80 females; 166 Protestants; 12 Catholics; the mistress receives a yearly salary from Lady Dufferin and quarterly payments from the children; The master of the male school receives a yearly salary from Lord Dufferin and weekly payments from the children in 1836

- classic school taught by Miss McHarry; 28 pupils all Protestants in 1836

- taught by Mr. Fisher in his own house; pupils in winter 30; pupils in summer 70; all Protestants in 1836

Mullaghfernaghan
Magherally parish
records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #758
Mullartown
Kilkeel parish

45 Protestants; 17 Catholics; 46 males; 27 females; this school cost £50 to build and was paid for by the parish; the master earns £4 a year, with a house and an acre of land; the children pay 1 penny a week; established in 1826 and enlarged in 1836

Mulligans
Seapatrick parish

Mulligan's National schoolhouse was 150 metres east of Mulligan's Bridge; it was a plain, stone & brick building with a slate roof; it was 38 feet by 23 feet; built in 1830 and a cost of £150 Irish currency; the sum was left by the late Mary Mulligan for the purpose; the family was involved in the linen industry

Muninabane
Dromara parish
opened 1836 ; in 1910 the teacher was P. Conway with Mrs Brannigan as manual instructress (POD); closed 1964; St. Michael's replaced it. (DDPP p75)
Narrow Water
Warrenpoint parish

a slate roofed cottage in good repair on the property of Roger Hall Esq.; on the road from Warrenpoint to Newry; established 1829; income was from the pupils 2 pence or 3 pence per week; salaries were £15 a year; intellectual & moral education; Protestant version of Scriptures and spelling books used; visited by Mrs. Hall and family; 20 males; 22 females; 28 Protestants; 6 Presbyterians; 8 Catholics; mistress was Elisha McDonnel, Church of Ireland in 1836

Newcastle

in Kilcoo parish

- in 1836 it was a free school close to the town supported by Earl Annesley; under Hibernian Society; teacher was Miss Martha McKegney in 1830;
-beside St Mary's Catholic church; built 1845; a National school; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #536
- infants school; built 1857 on site given by Earl Annesley; Memorial Hall built on site 1893 (MO 1/03)
- Ladies' Collegiate School in Clare Lodge, beside the Annesley Arms Hotel; ;there in 1895; principals were Miss Gray & Miss Davidson; teachers were Misses Agnes, Minnie & Maggie Park; pupils taught English, French, German, Latin, Mathematics, Drawing, Pianoforte, Violin, Singing & Needlework; pupils were prepared for exams if desired;
School records in PRONI St Johns in Bryansford Road film #1701995 Ref #727 & Donard View Ref #726
an Endowed School in 1884 with Samuel & Miss Annie Clyde as teachers (POD)
National School; teacher in 1884 was Bernard Brogan (POD)
Newport
Blaris parish
in Maze townland;established 1818;under the Association of Discountenancing Vice and patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire; income from pupils was £20 a year; intellectual & moral education; visited by Rev. James Stannus, Dean of Ross and Rev. Ralph Bridge and Rev. James Crofton; catechism on Saturdays by the master; Authorised version of the Scriptures read daily; day school scholars, 47 males & 21 females; 32 Church of Ireland; 24 Presbyterians; 14 Catholics; the master was William John Orre, Church of Ireland; Sunday school scholars 44 males & 27 females; Sunday school teachers 4 males& 2 females in 1836; in 1910 the principal was Victor Boyd (POD)
Newroad supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1818 with 269 students attending (HSSS)
Newry

NEWRY; supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1817 with 174 students attending (HSSS); in 1836- on Rathfriland Road; established in 1813; at one time under the London Hibernian Society but support was withdrawn in 1834; patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire;day school scholars, 140 males & 107 females; 192 Protestants ; 55 Catholics; supported by voluntary contributions; spelling, reading, writing, arithmetic, needlework and bookkeeping taught; Scriptures taught without note or comment are used by all indiscriminately; Sunday school scholars 24 males & 32 females; Sunday school teachers 8 males & 8 females in 1836

- run by Christian Brothers, in Chapel Street opposite the old chapel; built 1803 the cost of which was raised by subscription;it was a plain, rectangular two-storey building 72 feet by 24 feet; the ground floor was occupied by the master and family and the upper floor with steps outside the building, was the schoolroom; supported by the National Board; its income was from the National Board of £ 20 a year, a bequest from Dr. Lennan of £21.7.1 a year, and £4 raised by subscription; Mr. Patrick Fitzsimons of Mill Street bequeathed £15 a year as a salary fro a schoolmistress to teach 30 poor girls reading, writing and needlework. This is done is a separate apartment; the master's salary was £35 a year; intellectual & moral education using the National Board's books; visited by all the Catholic clergymen of Newry; Authorised Version of Scripture; catechism taught after school hours; 163 boys only; 7 Protestants; 10 Presbyterians; 146 Catholics; the master was Daniel O'Gorman, a Catholic in 1836; the ground was given rent free by Lord Kilmorey; in 1881, Brother Fitzsimons was principal (POD) (DDPP p13)

- Union school; situated on Windsor Hill; it was a granite roughcast building; built in 1820 at a cost of £450 which was raised by subscription; there were two schoolrooms between which was the separate apartment for the master and Mistress; the schoolrooms were 45 feet by 22 feet and were well lighted; an acre of ground was given free of rent by the Marquis of Downshire; the male school's income was from subscriptions of £30, £ 20 a year from the pupils; the master's salary was £40 a year; intellectual & moral education supported by the Kildare Street Society with books; visited by all the Protestant and Presbyterian clergymen of Newry; Authorised Version of Scriptures used; no catechisms; 116 boys; 48 Protestants; 48 Presbyterians; 20 Catholics; the master was James Webb, Presbyterian in 1836 & William Nesbitt, master in 1881 (POD); grant aid application 1846; registers from 1866 in PRONI (OFN p239);records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #791

- Union school on Windsor Hill; the female school; income was by subscription £10 a year, from London Hibernian Society £6 a year, and £14 from the pupils; salaries were £26 a year fro the mistress; intellectual & moral education using London Hibernian books; visited by all the Protestant & Presbyterian clergy of Newry; Authorised Version of Scripture; no catechisms; 120 girls; 28 Protestants; 64 Presbyterians; 28 Catholics; the mistress was Eliza Maria Duff, Protestant in 1836 & Harriet Gillespie, mistress in 1881 (POD); grant aid application 1846 ; registers from 1866 in PRONI (OFN p 239);records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #791

- the infant schoolhouse in Stream Street; a neat stone cottage 50 feet by 20 feet; built in 1828 at a cost of £130 which was raised by subscriptions; the ground was given rent free by the Earl of Kilmorey; its income was from subscription £15, from the pupils £10 a year; salaries were £18.12.0 a year form the mistress; intellectual education using Wilverstin's Lessons or cards, mostly scriptural, moral education; visited by all the Protestant clergymen of Newry; 46 males; 54 females; 76 Protestants, 76 Presbyterians; mistress was Anne Campbell, Protestant in 1836; Hannah McGovern, mistress in 1881 (POD)

- Lyon's Academy at #1 Hill Street; a private house; intellectual & moral education, classical, mathematical and mercantile; the Scriptures read every day; 38 males; 15 Protestants; 19 Presbyterians; 4 Catholics; master was Edward Lyons M.A. a Protestant in 1836

- Campbells' High Street Academy; a private house; 2 rooms; established 1791; intellectual & moral education as well as English and mercantile; the Scriptures read every day; 30 males; 20 females; 10 Protestants; 20 Presbyterians; 20 Catholics; master and mistress were Archibald and Mary Anne Campbell, Presbyterian in 1836; grant aid application 1840 (OFN p 239)

- a private house at #1 Castle Place, Castle Street; established 1821; income from the pupils was £30 a year; expenditure on rent £10 a year; intellectual & moral education as well as English and mercantile; the Scriptures read by those who wish; 30 males; 20 females; 10 Protestants; 40 Catholics; master was John Brady , a Catholic in 1836

- a private house in Talbot Street; formerly kept in Hill Street; established in 1821; the income from pupils was £40 a year; house rent was £11 a year; intellectual & moral education as well as English, classical and mercantile; instruction given in Scripture history; 10 males; 4 Protestants; 6 Presbyterians; master was Isaac Lee a Protestant in 1836; called Ragged School in 1881, master was Robert Leech (POD)

- Convent National school built in 1830 in High Street; built 1830 by Sisters of St. Clare (DDPP p12); 280 female pupils; all Catholic ; established 1831 with the National Board; taught reading and needlework in 1836; run by Nuns of St. Clare in 1881 (POD)(OFN p xii) grant aid application 1840 (OFN p239); opened secondary School in 1925 (DDPP p15,23)

- at the top of High Street or Stream Street; 58 Protestant; 12 Catholics; 26 males; 8 females; supported by voluntary contributions; established 1829; reading, spelling, geography, botany, natural history, grammar and arithmetic taught; Scriptures without note or comment are used in 1836

- exclusively Catholic; no further information given ; supported by the National Board of Education in 1836; possibly in Needham Street, Ballybot; Mary J. Cutler, mistress & Theresa Gordon assistant in 1881 ( POD); regsiter 1875+ availabel in PRONI (OFN p 239); records in PRONI for Ballybot School film #1701993 Ref #106

- National District Model School in Catherine Street ; in 1852 the master was John Brady & mistresses Misses Gumerson & Fitzgerald (POD); in 1881 it was William D. Watt, headmaster; Thomas Harladn, assistant master;Thomas Doherty drawing master; K.J. O'Connell mistress & Anne Glenny infants mistress (POD); 1858 Register available 1868+ in PRONI (OFN p 239);School records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #64;LDS film# 247447 1849-1910
additional schools in 1852 were the Newry School in Hill Street (Henry Ribton, master) & Newy Academy in Downshire Rd (Samuel Hall, master) & an Infants School in Hight Street (Mrs Sheffield, mistress) (POD)
-National School in Boat Street in 1881; William Grant, master (POD)
- National School in Canal Street run by Sisters of Mercy in 1881 (POD); opened in 1865 (DDPP p13)
- National School in William Street; George Gillespie, master & Theresa Hill, Mistress in 1881 (POD); grant aid application 1858-1865 (OFN p 239)
- Newry Collegiate College at 2 Corry Square; a day & boarding school; Rev Thomas Adair , principal in 1881 (POD)
- Roman Catholic College at Violet Hill; president in 1881 Rev. Henry O'Neill; professor Rev. Hugh O'Neill (POD)
- Scriptural School in Downshire Road; Elizabeth A. White, mistress in 1881 (POD)
- in Mill Street; grant aid application 1846 - 1865 (OFN p 239)
- male & female schools in Kilmorey Street; grant aid application 1840-1846 (OFN p 239)
- Henderson's School at # 6 Hill Street c. 1823 (OFN p 123)
Our Lady's Grammar School ; opened 1894; in Canal Street; adjoining National Schol &at the bottom of the Convent garden- DDPP p16,22
Abbey Grammar School in Abbey House ;opened 1903 (DDPP p15) Catholic
School records in PRONI for St Patricks School film #1701995 Ref #775; the Commons Ref #780; Rockvale Ref #781
Newtownards Newtownards; in 1836- facing the broad road of the town and a small distance from it;erected in 1811 at the expense of Lady Londonderry & the Board; under the Board of Erasmus Smith; ground laid out as a flower garden; 70 males & 50 females; 20 Protestants, 90 Presbyterians, 10 Catholics; the boys were examined by Mr Hill, the curate at his own residence every Saturday after which they do the garden; the schoolhouse was on ground belonging to Marquis of Londonderry who gave £10 a year for the master's salary, he also received £10 a year from The Board if the children made progress; the mistress received £14 a year from the Board & £8 gratuity; 34 children were educated without payment in 1836; the master in 1852 was Arthur Bell & mistress, Miss Bingham (POD)
- the Classical School; in one of the remote street in town; erected in 1812 at the cost of £1,100; the headmaster Dr Henry, was a Presbyterian clergyman; the grounds were purchased with legacies left by Francis Tierney; the master has a house & garden free and received 7 to 21 shillings per quarter from the pupils; 40 males; all Protestants; the room above is a girl's schoolroom employing a mistress, a Protestant, who received 5- 15 shillings a quarter from the pupils; 25 females; all Protestant in 1836
- an old school erected in 1634 by Lord Londonderry who endowed it with £20 a year for the teaching of Latin, Greek; it was well attended until the Scottish Army came over, turning out all loyal clergy who would not desert episcopacy and take the covenant
- erected in 1829; called the New Classical & Mercantile School; founded by subscription; closed in 1836
- The Academy in West St, Newtownards; the master in 1852 was Mr Douglas & Miss Olive, the mistress (POD)
- National School in George's St, Newtownards; master in 1852 was Edward Darley (POD)
- National School in East St, Newtownards; master in 1852 was William Thompson (POD)
- National School in Mark St, Newtownards; master in 1852 was James Charles (POD)
- Model school on Old Belfast Rd; opened in 1862 (NDM p57 photo) , exams 22 Nov 1873; editorial 23 May 1874 (NC); retirement of principal Mr Harbison 12 Oct 1895 (NC); the headmaster in 1883 was William Craig (PR); records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #278
- opening of Intermediate School in Strean Lecture Hall 19 Oct 1878 (NC)
- Ann Street, National School (there in 1863)- GV 11 Apr 1891; concert & soiree 27 Jan 1894 (NC)
- a National School in Mill Street ( Stephen Skilling was teacher) & Zion Place & Movilla Street & East Street & South Street in 1863-GV
School records in PRONI for Greenwell Street l film #1701994 Ref #250; the #1 school Ref #403 & the #2 school Ref #404; Rockvale Ref #781
Newtownbreda
Knockbreda parish
- a boys' school with 38 pupils; 35 Protestants; 3 Catholics;under the support of the London Hibernian Society but only receives books; the master received 2 pence a week from each boy who could read & write and 1 penny a week from those who could only read; he also received £5 a year from Sir Robert Bateson & £5 a year from the rector in 1836
- a girls' school with 60 pupils; 40 Presbyterians, 2 Catholics and the rest Protestant; the mistress received 2 pence a week from each pupil; they were taught needle, reading, writing; she also received £ 3 a year fro 6 pupils sent by Lady Bateson & £1 for 3 sent by Mrs. Kinahan, the rector's wife; under the patronage of the London Hibernian Society which gave the mistress 11 shillings & 6 pence a year in 1836
- School of Castlereagh; erected in 1826 by subscription and a small donation from Marquis of Downshire; 38 males & 32 females; all Protestants; the master received 2 shillings & 2 pence per quarter from all children; he also received £10 a year from the Church of Ireland; connected with the Kildare Place Society but received nothing from it in 1836
- a small school with 2 males & 6 females; taught by an old man for his own amusement; he received 2 pence a week from each child; under no society nor patronised by anyone in 1836
records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #824
Olivet
Comber parish
in Ballygowan; the teacher in 1910 was Mr. W. Buchanan(POD) records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #712
Portaferry
Ballyphilip parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1813 with 100 students attending (HSSS)
Mrs Ferguson ran a ladies day school in 1824 (POD)
built in 1781 by Presbyterian minister, Rev William Steele Dickson (JUAHS 1977 p8, 22) another erected by the Presbyterians in 1849.
a small school was held in the vestry off the Presbyterian meeting-house; the children paid 1 half penny to 1 penny a week; 24 males; 2 females; 6 Protestants; 8 Presbyterians; 12 Catholics in 1836; school fete 27 Aug 1881 DR; bazaar 20 Dec 1884 DR;
- a school was held during the week in the Primitive Wesleyan Methodist meeting house; it was managed by a committee who gives the mistress £15 a year; 11 boys; 22 girls; 12 Protestants in 1836; annual soiree 20 Aug 1864 DR;
- Col. Nugent's school; a large and neat schoolhouse formerly supported by the Kildare Street Society; erected in 1822 at the expense of Col. Nugent at a cost of £300; Mr. Nugent afterwards received a grant; 100 males; 9 females; 70 Protestants; 39 Catholics; the master received £30 a year from Col. Nugent in 1836; school exams 18 Jul 1840 DR;
- National School; article 2 Aug 1856 DR; alterations 9 Jul 1881 DR;
- Parochial School ( Catholic); article 19 Jul 1862 DR; annual fete 9 Sep 1871 DR;
- school for boys and girls built in 1853 (photo available JUAHS 2012 p16)
School records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #121; LDS film#247468 1870-1934
Portavogie
Ballyhalbert parish
there in 1863 -GV; LDS film#247440 1873-1915
Priesthill
Tullylish parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1818 with 153 students attending (HSSS)
Purdysburn
Drumbo parish
- near Mr Batt's demesne wall in the village; 125 males; 120 Protestants; 5 Catholics; books from the Kildare Street Society; £2.2.0 from the archdeacon of the diocese for the teaching of 6 poor boys; the children paid 2 shillings a week in 1836; established 1823 by Mr N. Batt Esq.
- on the road from Belfast to Lisburn; 71 females; all Protestants; supported by a payment from the children of 2 and a half pennies per week in 1836; established 1823 by Mrs. Batt;
Rademon
Kilmore parish
established in 1767 by dissenting minister Rev Moses Neilson; a classical school teaching Latin, Greek, Hebrew & native Irish; held public exams in Dec 1796 in elocution, Greek, Latin French , Grammar & book keeping (BN) ; numerous day school & boarders; known as Neilson's Academy; soiree in honour of teacher, James Martin 2 Sep 1854 DR (LR2010 p50-55)
Raffrey
Killinchy parish
discarded school building converted to an Orange Hall 4 May 1935 DR; click here for a photo
Raleagh
Kilmore parish
London Hibernian school run by William Martin in 1831 (DS 1999 p22) ; National School; soiree 15 Aug 1863 DR: name of principal & numbers 15 Jul 1865 DR;
Rann (The)
Inch parish
a National School; teachers were Mr Watson then Miss Johnston then Miss Cochrane; both Protestants& Catholics; most transfered over the Entry school in Kilmore in 1850; anniversary 1 Aug 1863 DR
Rathfriland supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1818 with 249 students attending (HSSS)
western end of Newry Street; built in 1830 at a cost of £250 & paid by subscription; in 1836 it was still unfinished & unused due to a dispute over which system of education was to be adopted in 1836; photo available ORHB p2,19; records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #497 & #2 school film #1736304 Ref #1280
Rathmullan Glebe
a school was taught in the ruins of the Glebe House by James Pearson, a pensioner but little qualified for the instruction of youth; Protestants 25; Catholics 20; males; 20; females; 25; no funding in 1836
Rathmullan National
from 1820, interdenominational; a stone & thatch house supported by Kildare Society; in 1841 there were 82 boys & 45 girls ; a National School run by Arthur Cotter in 1839-1853; photo of school house available (LR 2005 p45, 46)
Ravara
Saintfield parish
a National School; opposite the saw mill; used as a Sunday School in 1840-1850 (SHM '86 p 27
Ravernet
Blaris parish
a public elementary school; Miss Elizabeth Reid principal until her death in 1928 (MIs);records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #570
Reagan
Newry parish
built 1820 at the expense of the parish; supported by the London Hibernian Society from which the master receives £12 a year and from the pupils 1 penny a week; 25 females; 20 males; 41 Protestants; 4 Catholics in 1836
Reilly's Trench
Hillsborough parish
a National school; a stone & lime cottage . whitewashed and slated; 28 feet by 15 feet; built in 1814 for its present purpose but was not used until 1829;in 1910 the principal was Miss Downey 9POD)
Ringcreevy
Comber parish
taught by W. McMillan in 1836; Church Education Society School in 1863-GV
Rochvale
see Cloghanramer

Rockmount

supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1817 with 80 students attending (HSSS)
Rockport
Holywood parish
in Craigavad; opened in 1906 with 4 pupils buy by 1911 there were 21(NDM p21,56)
Rosemount
Greyabbey parish
a National school next to the Church of Ireland in 1863-GV
Rossglass
Bright parish
a National school; founded in 1827 by John Kerr (LM 1999 p7); in 1836 there were 33 males & 28 females; Protestants 29; Catholics 32; income was from The Commissioners of Education of £13; a few of the poorest class is admitted free; those more able to pay give 1 shilling a week and a more wealthy class give 2 shillings a week; the teacher was John Kerr in 1836; soiree held 26 Oct 1844 DR; soiree 10 Jul 1847 DR;
Rostrevor supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1818 with 179 students attending (HSSS)
- the union school was held in a two-storey house situated to the north of the church, formerly occupied as a barracks and now called by that name; established 1823; income from Mrs. Ross of Bladensberg of £14 a year & from the ladies' fancy sale £8 a year & from the annual charity sermon £5 a year & from the pupils £10 a year; the salary of the master, John nelson, a Protestant, was £37 a year; intellectual & moral education; Dublin spelling & reading books used & the Scriptures; visited by Rev E.J. Evans, Rev B. Jacon & Mrs. Ross of Bladensburg & the Honourable Mrs. Hamilton & Mr Hamilton; 25 males; 15 females; 30 Protestants; 5 Presbyterians; 5 Catholics in 1836
- the National school (it ceased to be under its direction in 1833;) was beside the Catholic chapel; a small building with a slate roof in good repair; it was built in 1829 & paid for by public subscription; income from subscription was £10 a year & from pupils 1 penny a week; the salary of the master, John McCrink, a Catholic, was £10 a year; intellectual & moral education; visited by Rev.Patrick McEvoy, parish priest, & Rev J. Dorn, curate; 59 males; 45 females; all Catholics in 1836
- built 1814 by Mrs. Dawson & Miss Balfour; a short distance from the National school; a small neat cottage ; 6 females & one male boarder; in 1815 there were 20 females who received their education without payment; it was then supported by Mrs. Balour of Dublin who paid the mistress £20 a year in 1836
- the parish school; on the left hand side of the road to Hilltown; a pretty ornamental cottage; under the patronage of The Association of Discountenancing Vice for £7 a year & from a charity sermon £10 a year; the salary of the master was £8 a year for acting as parish clerk & another £18 a year;intellectual & moral education; the Bible & Testament& Dublin spelling books used; visited by Rev. E.J. Evans, vicar & Rev. Benjamin Jacob, curate each week; 13 males; 19 females; 24 Protestants; 8 Presbyterians; master was James Henry, a Protestant in 1836
Convent of Mercy School for girls opened in 1866 ; boys school opened 1889 (DDPP p107)
School records in PRONI for St. Mary's Boys School film #1736304 Ref #1273
Ryan
Newry parish
a small slated cottage; established 1832; income was from the London Hibernian Society for £10 a year & £20 a year from the pupils; intellectual & moral education; visited by Rev. John Weir, Seceding minister of Newry; catechism taught after school hours; 96 males; 59 females; 3 Protestants; 133 Presbyterians; 19 Catholics; master was Joseph Scott, Presbyterian in 1836
Saintfield 12 Oct 1822 ; letter wrirren by Alexander Gordon of Saintfield to Chief Secretary, Dublin castle , thanking him for advance of £100 for Saintfield school house (CSO)
in 1836- Academy school; at the western end of the town; established 1823 by Mr Price under the direction of John McBirnie; it cost £70; half from subscriptions & half from Kildare Place Society; a plain, oblong building, whitewashed & slate roofed with a small playground attached and 4 acres free from Mr Price; the 1st principal was Rev. James Phillips of Glasgow who taught Hebrew, Greek, Latin, mathematics, English & writing; income in 1836 from pupils was £90 a year; intellectual & moral education; classics, arithmetic, reading, writing, geography; 42 males & 8 females; a few Protestants; Presbyterians in the majority; 5 Catholics; the master was Alexander Calewell, Church of Ireland in 1836 ; notice for a new teacher 17 May 1845 DR; Mr Smith appointed 6 Feb 1847 DR; prospectus issued Oct 1847; this school closed soon after and reopened as a national school in 1850; the teacher iin 1852 was Joseph Lowry (POD); in 1892 the teachers were R.J. Matchett & T. Monaghan; records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #54; LDS film #247441 1868- 1912
- a female school;at the western end of town; established 1825 by Mr Price at a cost of £80;small, square building, whitewashed & slated;annual income of £10 from individuals, £6 from pupils; books from the Kildare Street Society; intellectual & moral education; 46 females; 24 Protestants; 15 Presbyterians; 7 Catholics; the mistress was Harriet Skillen, Church of Ireland in 1836; article 5 Aug 1843 DR; became a National School in 1868 (SHM '90 p 30)
- an infants school; at the eastern end of the village in a tolerable capacious loft in the rear of some cabins; established 1835 by Mr Price; income of £20 a year from Mr Price & from the pupils £5 a year irregularly; intellectual & moral education, reading, spelling; 20 males & 30 females; 10 Protestants; 36 Presbyterians; 4 Catholics; the mistress Elizabeth Gilmore was Church of Ireland in 1836
- old school; on the Ballynahinch road; established "from time immemorial"; a small cabin with clay floor, unceiled and out of repair; income was £1 a year from the vicar & a little from the pupils; intellectual & moral education, reading, writing, book-keeping, arithmetic; 18 males & 13 females; the Master William Reid was Church of Ireland in 1836; Ragged School 10 Jan 1857 DR
- the parish school; built 1835; school fete 22 Aug 1863 DR
- Agricultural school & Model Farm 21 Feb 1846 DR; founding 3 Oct 1846 DR article 12 Dec 1846 DR;
- Saintfield Temporary School ; a National School in 1841 (SHM '90 p30)
- Saintfield Evening School; a National School by 1873 (SHM ;90 p 30)
- St. Mary's (Old) School or #2 National School in Comber Street; established 7th Jan 1873 by Father Phelan;fees were 1-3 pennies a week ; there were 44 males & 25 females; 1st teacher was Mr. Terence Mongahan whose salary was £15 a year; the building was perforated brick and inside was a fireplace, 6 desks, a desk for the teacher, a shelved bookcase and blackboard; taken over by the National Board, his salary was raised to £32 a year (SHM '90 p 62, photo available); records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1236
there were 15 schools in the parish in 1837 & 6 in the town; 2 were connected with the London Hibernian Society, all the rest except 3 or 4 under the patronage of Kildare Street Society; click here for extra information on Saintfield schools
Scaddy
Inch parish
there was an old school here but most pupils transfered to Kilmore Entry school in 1850; anniversary 1 Aug 1863 DR; sometimes called Ballygally; click here for a class photo of 1937
Scarva
in Aghaderg parish
a room in a house in the town; established 1822; its income was from Mrs. Reilly £1 per year, from the pupils £12 a year; intellectual & moral education using the Kildare Street Society books; visits by the vicar and the curate; no catechism; Authorised Version of Scripture uses; 50 males; 28 females; 14 Protestants; 48 Presbyterians; 15 Catholics; mistress was Mary Moore, a Protestant in 1836; records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #750
National School in Main Street; opened in 1894, closed 1855; photo available (OGSLL p32)
Seaforde in Loughinisland parish

- the school was held in the Bible repository in Seaforde, 1836; 38 males; 62 females; 80 Protestants; 20 Catholics; supported by the Erasmus Smith committee from which the master receives £20 per year and £10 gratuity; he also receives 1 penny per week from the children; another school did exist in the town but was not held in 1836 as it is undergoing repairs. ;article 22 Aug 1840 DR;Mrs. Forde entertained 17 Aug 1844 DR; fete 11 Aug 1883 DR; records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #787

- the female school ; erected in 1816; with suitable apartments for the mistress; taught English, and plain needlework; the salary of the mistress was £25 a year paid by Lady Harriet Forde under whose patronage the school exists; 75 females; 58 Protestants; 8 Presbyterians; 9 Catholics in 1836; DR articles apply here too; records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #787
Seapatrick situated near the parish church; a roughcast, whitewashed, stone building; 44 feet by 18 feet; built in 1815; the cost was defrayed partly by the Association for Discountenancing Vice and partly by the late Mr. William Hayes of Millmount; records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #755
Shankill supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1817 with 70 students attending (HSSS)
Shannaghan
Newry parish
a good slated stone cabin; situated on the road from Katesbridge to Dromara; established 1824; income was from Mr. Thomson of Newry who gave a house and field rent free , & the pupils paid from 1 to 3 pennies per week; the master's salary was £7 a year; intellectual & moral education using books from the Hibernian Society; visited by Rev. H.H. M. Maxwell, curate of Annaclone; 32 males; 5 females; 1 Protestant; 27 Presbyterians; 9 Catholics; the master was Francis Irwin, a Seceding Presbyterian in 1836
Shanrod
Garvaghy parish
a small thatched house; established 1828; income from London Hibernian Society for £8 a year, & from the pupils £ 12 a year; intellectual & moral education; visited by Rev. Hugh Hamilton, vicar; no catechisms; Authorised Version of the Scriptures used; 40 males; 20 females; 20 Protestants; 36 Presbyterians; 4 Catholics; the master was Hugh Piper, a Presbyterian in 1836; rebuilt in 1859 (DDPP p55); Click here for a photo
Sheeptown
Newry parish
a plain stone cottage; established in 1836; income from London Hibernian Society of £3.15.0 a year and from pupils £ 12 a year; intellectual & moral education; visited by Rev. James Shields; no catechisms; Authorised Version of Scripture used; 41 males; 29 females; 5 Protestants; 53 Presbyterians; 12 Catholics; the master was George Brown, a Presbyterian in 1836; registers available from 1871 in PRONI (OFN p 239); records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #626
Shinn
Newry parish
a neat slated cottage; established in 1830; income from the landlord of this townland of £4 a year & Miss Corry £4 a year, and £11 from the pupils; intellectual & moral education; books supplied by the Kildare Street Society; Authorised Version of the Scriptures used; no catechisms; 41 males; 57 females; 1 Protestant; 77 Presbyterians; 20 Catholics; master was Henry Jordan, a Presbyterian in 1836; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #713
Short Strand
Knockbreda parish
a male & female school with John & Jane Ritchie as teachers in 1852 (POD)
Shrigley
Killyleagh parish
records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #691
Skeogh
Dromore parish
opened in 1825; in School Rd, Dromore; principal from 1916 was Mr William John Dickson; records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #845; click here for some class photos
Skillyscolvan
Dromore parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1817 with 145 students attending (HSSS)
Slieveman
Kilcoo parish
opening of the school 5 Aug 1843 DR
Slievenagriddle
Ballee parish
12 Protestants; 50 Catholics; 30 males; 32 females; supported by the pupils and The Hibernian Society in 1836
Southwell School
Down parish
see under Downpatrick's listings
Spa
Magheradrool parish
National school ;annual Christmas treat 10 Jan 1880 DR; tea with Miss Boyd 7 Jan 1882 DR; concert 6 Sep 1884 DR;
Spittle Ballee
Ballee parish
see under Church Ballee
Springvale
Ballywalter parish
erected by Andrew Mulholland in 1855; annual exams 29 Dec 1855 DR; Christmas 12 Jan 1856
St. James
Kilwarlin
see under Ballykeel Artifinney in Hillsborough parish
Strandtown
Holywood parish
National School in 1863- GV
Strangford
Ballyculter parish
5 Jul 1822- Charter School - disagreement between Incorporated Society & local committee re admission of local poor children rather than children from Portadown, Co. Armagh (CSO)
erected in 1827 under the supervision of Rev. Charles Wolsley at an expense of £200; the Kildare Street Society gave £100 and supplied books; the remaining expenses were defrayed by public subscription; the land was given by Lord de Ros for 999 years at 1 shilling a year; the master received £8 a year from Lord de Ros and 1 penny a week from the children; those that learn mathematics pay 6 pence a week in 1836; school fete 17 Sep 1881 DR; feast at Old Court 12 Sep 1885 DR
National school; feast at Old Court 12 Sep 1885 DR; presentation to George Lord on his departure 30 Oct 1886 DR; records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #82; LDS film#247457 1858-1927 (LM 1989 p60- 61)
Strangford Park Classical & Commercial Boarding & Day school- notice 9 Nov 1833 (NH)
Stella Maris School records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1158; refugees from Belfast furing 2nd World War swelled the enrolments in 1941; b/w photo available (Inv 2011 p38- 39)
Tamary
Clonduff parish
a National School here in 1863 -GV
Teconnaught
Kilmore parish
records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1177
Thomastown
Ardquin parish
9 males ; 2 females; 3 Catholics; 6 Protestants in 1836 ; supported by subscriptions of 2 pence per week from the pupils; established in 1833
Tievenadarragh
Loughinisland parish
average attendance 50; 16 Protestants/Presbyterians ; 34 Catholic; the salary of the master from the New Board of Education was £8 a year and a weekly payment of 1 penny from the children in 1836; also see under Loughinisland
Tonaghmore
Magherally parish

under the London Hibernian Society and patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire; day school scholars, 37 males & 18 females; Sunday school scholars 42 males & 53 females; Sunday school teachers 11 males & 3 females in 1836

Tonaghmore
Saintfield parish
on the Ballynahinch Road, 2km from Saintfield; a small, slated house in good repair; established 1821;connected to National School system in 1832, there were 53 males & 30 females (SHM '90 p 29); income from the Board was £10 a year with £13 from the pupils; under the patronage of William Hanna Esq. proprietor of this townland; intellectual & moral education; Authorised version of Scripture used; 63 males & 37 females; 88 Presbyterians; 12 Catholics; the master in 1832 & 1836, Robert Stewart was Presbyterian Secession church & earned £10 a year ; by 1843 there were 120 pupils being taughter in a room 27 x 14 feet (SHM '90 p 30 ;photo available)
Toughblane
Hillsborough
parish

under the London Hibernian Society and patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire ;day school scholars, 55 males & 35 females; Sunday school scholars 52 males & 27 females; Sunday school teachers 9 males & 3 females in 1836

Toy and Kirkland
Killyleagh parish

patronised by Miss Baily; supported by the London Hibernian Society which gave the mistress £4 a year; she also got £4 a year from Miss Baily and about the same from the children; 40 girls; 3 boys; 40 Protestants; 3 Catholics; the all under 12 years; mistress was a Protestant in 1836

Tubber-na-carrig
Inishargy parish

near Kircubbin; records in PRONI film 1701995 Ref #692

Tullintanvally
Annaclone parish
a neat, small cottage; 24 feet by 18 feet; built in 1833 at a cost of £30, of which £10 was raised by subscription and the remainder was paid by the present teacher, Alexander Cuddy (a Presbyterian); the furniture cost £8, of which £5.13.4 was granted by the National Board of Education and the remainder by the teacher; income from The National Board of £12 a year & from the pupils £8 a year; rent cost 1 shilling; intellectual & moral education; visited by Catholic priest and his curate; Authorised Version of the Scriptures taught at stated hours; 48 males; 14 females; 30 Presbyterians; 32 Catholic in 1836
Tullycarnet
Knockbreda parish
a National School in 1863; GV
Tullycavey
Greyabbey parish
the teacher in 1843 was Alexander McKenzie (MIs); records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #288
Tullycore
Kilyleagh parish
records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #622
Tullygirven
Comber parish
-north side of the townland at the crossroads; 86 Protestants; 1 Catholic; 54 males; 33 females; supported by the pupils at 2 shilling & 6 pence a quarter & a grant from the government of £8 a year; established 1826; built by subscription & £50 from the government; placed under the National Board in 1833; taught by Orr McGowan in 1836
- on the north west side of the townland on the north side of the Edenslate to Raghley road; 57 Protestants; 3 Catholics; 30 males; 30 females; supported by local contributions and a payment of 1 shilling & 6 pence per quarter from the pupils & a grant of £ 6 a year from the London Hibernian Society; the schoolhouse was the gift of D. Mussenden Esq. junior on 22nd September 1803; taught by James Steed in 1836; house was 15 feet by 15 feet; he teacher in 1910 was Miss Abernethy (POD)
Tullylish supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1817 with 198 students attending (HSSS)
Tullymacarath/
Tullymacarette
Dromore parish
a small cottage on Upper Quily Road; established 1832; income is from the National Board of £10 a year; from David Lindsay of Ashfield £ 1.1.0 a year; from pupils £10 a year; intellectual & moral education; Authorized Version of the Scriptures read; 46 males; 42 females; 12 Protestants; 54 Presbyterians; 20 Catholics; the master was James Stewart, a Presbyterian in 1836; current enrolment 36 pupils;photo available (ODHD pi); records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #274
Tullymore
Donaghmore parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1818 with 150 students attending (HSSS)
school established in 1819 ; rook repais in 1832 ; first teacher was John McMullen (Catholic) with 14 Catholics, 5 Presbyterians, and 1 Church of Ireland; subsequent teachers : Mrs. Nesbit, Wm. Gordon, ...Hamilton, ... McElroy, George Hare, George Gillespie, Wm. Donaldson, Miss Agnes Sloan, Miss Minnie Sloan, and Miss Hudson (AIPD p42)
Tullynacrue
Ballyphilip parish
9 Protestants; 81 Catholics; 60 males; 30 females; the scholars pay 1 penny a week; built in 1807 by subscription; books from National School Board in 1836
Tullynagee
Kilmood parish
a National School built in 1827 by the Kildare Place Society & local subscription; income from National Board of £8 a year & £2 per quarter from the pupils; intellectual & moral education; visited by Rev Blane , Presbyterian minister & Mr Blake of Comber; 40 males & 15 females; all Protestants; master was James Lowry, a Presbyterian in 1836
Tullyorior
Garvaghy parish
a very small room in a cabin; established 1829; its income is from the London Hibernian Society of £5 a year & £ 8 from the pupils a year; intellectual & moral education; visited by Rev. Hugh Hamilton; no catechisms; Authorised Version of the Scriptures read; 25 males; 15 females; 3 Protestants; 7 Presbyterians; 30 Catholics; mistress was Elizabeth Downey, a Catholic in 1836; rebuilt 1861 & 1966 (DDPP p136)
Tullyquilly
Drumgath parish
28 Protestants; 3 Catholics; 22 males; 9 females
Tullyree/Tullaree
Kilcoo parish

St.Joseph's; opened on 16 September 1844 by Stephen McCarthy in Peter McClean's house; it was to be kept in repair by him at £1.12.6 per annum;' new National School opened c. 1895 (MO 20/4/2005); records in PRONI film 1736304 Ref #1170

Tullyveery
Killyleagh parish
soiree to raise funds for schoolhouse 3 Apr 1841 DR; fete 22 Jul 1882 DR;records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #70; LDS film #247444 1875-1895
Tullywest
Saintfield parish
became a National School in 1843 (SHM '90 p30); teacher in 1899 was Samuel H. Kinghan; photo of the class of 1939 available (DR 30/8/1941); records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #192
Tyrella Parochial school (Catholic) St. Joeph's; article 28 Oct 1843 DR; fete 18 & 25 Aug 1877 DR; annual treat 4 Sep 1880 DR; fete 11 Aug 1883 DR; fete 8 Aug 1885 DR; enrolment in 2006 was 85 & threatened with closure DR 29/3/2006 ; records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #776
Ulidia
records in PRONI film #1736305 Ref #1389
Waringstown supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1815 with 141 students attending (HSSS); held in a convenient room in the schoolhouse which is a neat whinstone building of one storey; 38 feet by 19 feet; built 1830 at a cost of £160 and the furniture £20 which was raised by subscription ; income from the London Hibernian Society of £9.10.0 a year & from Rev. Holt Waring £5 a year; & Rev. Beatty £ 1 a year, from subscriptions £4 a year and from the pupils £ 19 a year; intellectual & moral education; visited by the Protestant clergy; Authorised Version of Scripture used; 84 males; 56 females; 118 Protestants; 9 Presbyterians; 3 Catholics; master was Samuel Moore, a Protestant; he had a dwelling house at the rear of the building in 1836; the ground was given rent free by Rev. Holt Waring; records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #304
Warrenpoint 1-supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1815 with 43 students attending (HSSS)
2- supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1816 with 62 students attending (HSSS)
- a good slated house on the old Newry road; male & female schools in different rooms; established 1826; income from Roger Hall Esq. and Mrs. Hall of £35 a year & from the pupils 13 pence to 14 shillings a quarter; salary of the master £23 a year with a dwelling house and gardens & cow's grass; intellectual & moral education; books from the Kildare Place Society; Protestant version of the Scriptures used; visited by Mr. Davis, curate and Mrs. Hall & family; 104 males; 88 females; 53 Protestants; 34 Presbyterians; 81 Catholics; master & mistress were Richard Robinson & Mary Ann Robinson, both Church of Ireland in 1836
- infants school; a very neat ornamental thatched cottage in East Street; established 1831; income from Mrs. Hall of Narrowwater House of £12 a year with the house, from the pupils 1 penny a week; averaging £14 a year; physical education of 1 hour of play each day in the playground when the weather's fine and in the house when bad weather; intellectual & moral education; books adapted to infants provided by Mrs. Hall; visited by and catechisms by Mrs. Hall and family & Mrs. Richards of Clonallan House; 33 males; 27 females; 28 Protestants; 10 Presbyterians; 22 Catholics; mistress was Maria Courtney, Church of Ireland in 1836
in St. Peters Street; a national School, built 1848; (DDPP p90); records in PRONI for film #1736304 Ref #1275
in St. Peters Street; Sisters of Mercy;estabblished 1887; nown as Convent National School; (DDPP p90)
Willowfield
Knockbreda parish
on Woodstock Road; a National School; opened in 1884 & closed 1927; called Harding Memorial School after 1922

 

Saintfield Model Farm School

In Ireland, Model Farms were a phenomenon of the early to mid nineteenth century.
The Commissioners of the Irish National System of Education had a policy of supporting agricultural institutions from 1837 onwards. Two kinds of institutions received aid; Agricultural schools which were rented and maintained by the commissioners and in which the farm building were erected out of public funds and secondly ordinary National schools to which farms were connected but in which the land was not held by the Commissioners.
The first type, under the exclusive manager of the Board of Commissioners was known as Model Farms. The 1849 report on national education indicates that there were only thirteen such schools in the whole of Ireland, five in Northern Ireland and only one in Co. Down- at Holywood.
At this time grants amounted to £300 for farm buildings and teacher's residence, provided there was a local expenditure of at least £150. A salary of £30 a year was paid to the teacher. Only six acres of land were required and a portion of the grant could go towards purchasing stock and implements. The Commissioners produced an Agricultural Class Book and a Farm Account Book which were distributed to all District Model Schools.

Saintfield Schools
Nicholas Price who died in June 1847 is known to have been keen on agricultural improvements and was probably the moving spirit behind the proposal to establish an Agricultural School at Saintfield.
The site chosen was in the townland of Lisdoonan approximately half way between Saintfield and Carryduff. Today the property is in the ownership of Mr. Robin Wylie and can be easily located as it carries the inscription "Model Farm".
William Blackwood, Mr. Price's agent, invited tenders for the erection of the building in March 1846- the architect was John Boyd of Belfast. From a newspaper report in March of the following year , we learn that having purchased 60 acres of land for a model farm, Nicholas Price had built a 'substantial dwelling house, office houses on the most improved plan and a school room.' It was reported that the expense of these improvements was at least £8,000.
Nicholas Price had rather grandiose ideas about establishing educational institutions in Saintfield. He had been responsible for building The Academy in 1823. The Down Recorder newspaper gives an account of the job description for a new principal in 1846 & 1847.
Saintfield Agricultural School was intended to provide a comprehensive course in practical agriculture and to back this up with agricultural science , including chemistry and geology in so far as they were connected to a knowledge of soil and land surveying. Farmers' sons were able to be the recipients and they could be wither boarders or day pupils.
If the latter, scholars had to arrive by seven in the morning and remain until six in the evening. They were expected to adhere top the same rules as the boarders.
Day pupils were admitted at a cost of £2 a year but for £14 , a young man could avail himself of "board, lodging, tuition and washing". There was accommodation for about twelve boarders who must be at least 14 years of age and must already be in possession of a "certain amount of information" as half of their time would be spent in practical operations on the farm.
Long house have always been associated with farming and these boys were no exception. They were expected to be up at half past five in the morning and were given only two hours for meals and recreation. In Winter when daylight was scarce they could have an extra half- hour in bed in the morning.
On Sundays the pupils were required to attend their respective places of worship. attendance at these school was not to be undertaken lightly, pupils having "to be bound under Indenture for two or three years according to their age and acquirements." Perhaps this was all too much for the young lads in the district since the school appears to have had a very short life.

The Rent Rolls of the Price Estate for the townland of Lisdoonan indicated that by 1851 Thomas J. Hawkins had taken the land in connacre and within ten years the Model Farm had become a gentleman's residence. Perhaps, with famine in the land the time was not ripe for model farms. Although short lived, the Model Farm with its "substantial dwelling house and office houses on the most improved plan' may well have set an example for others. It made a positive contribution to employment in the district.
Model Farms in general were found to be costly to run and continually under attack from those ill-disposed towards them. The Powis Commission of 1870 recommended they they should be not retained and by 1880 only two remained. Ironically, the ordinary agricultural schools with only two or three acres attached, fared better. In 1849 there were thirty-four in operation (12 in Ulster) and by 1870 there were 100, rising to a peak of 170 in 1875. Thereafter a decline set in and when the Viceregal Commission of Manual and Practical Instruction (1899) reported unfavourable on the teaching of agriculture as a subject in National schools, the commissioners had nothing more to do with school farms which then reverted to private use. At the same time a new Department of Agriculture was set up and training in agriculture was henceforth addressed to to adults.
Mr. Robin Wylie

Prospectus of the Saintfield Agricultural School- Patron James price Esq.
The above school, which has been for some time open , is intended to provide for the sons of Farmers a full and comprehensive instruction in the most approved modes of Practical Agriculture.