Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Ros Davies' Co. Down, Northern Ireland Family History Research Site
© Rosalind Davies 2001
Permission granted to reprint research for non-profit use only

School information A...-I....
from all parishes in Co. Down, Ireland

DR stands for an article in the Down Recorder newspaper.Most information is from Ordnance Survey Memoirs of 1836

Schools arranged alphabetically by townland or name of the school

A B C D E F G H I

click here for Schools K...-W...

click here to see the schools in parish order instead & if any photos are available
click here for a list of School class photos

click here for a list of School class photos available
click here for some schoolhouse photos

Try the Public Records site; http://proni.nics.gov.uk/school/intro.htm

The chief secretary for Ireland, Edward Stanley announced in parliament on 9th September 1831, his intention of uniting in one system of education children of different creeds with a guarantee that the schools created would be free from any suspicion of proselytism.
For over thirty years successive commissions and enquiries had warned of the inadequacies of the ' free enterprise' hedge schools. While education had been increasingly provided by religious groups it was evident that in many area these efforts were insufficient to meet the needs of a rapidly growing population.

A board of commissioners, representing the different religious denominations , would supervise the new system of education and allocate the funds voted by central government. It was envisaged that Catholics and Protestants would be educated side by side, in the same school. In order to remove discord, religious instruction would be given regularly by the clergy on Saturday. At the local level, control of the schools would rest entirely in the hands of managers, who were expected to contribute at least one third of the cost of building and maintaining the school and paying the master. There was to be a lack of compulsion with the board helping when requested. Stanley said that the board would look' with particular favour' on applications for aid from three sources viz. Protestant and Catholic clergy of the parish; a clergyman and a number of parishioners of the opposite creed; parishioners of both denominations.

While applications for recognition and financial aid flooded in from many counties the response from areas of Co. Down was less spectacular.
By and large the Church of Ireland and Presbyterian clergy were opposed to the nationalisation while the Catholic hierarchy accepted it enthusiastically. This is not to suggest that the Protestants were united in their opposition. Prior to the National System the Kildare Place Society had distributed grants to many schools but there had been growing opposition to the society from the Catholic hierarchy. The Committee of the Kildare Place Society had been heavily weighted to the Church of Ireland and when a National System began, using the grant, now £30,000 a year, they felt their reduced role. It resulted in the foundation of the Church Education Society (CES) in 1839.
The education received by children prior to 1831 had been one based on the Bible but Bible instruction was now to be optional and separate. The Church Education Society believed in a Bible education for all and objected to the restrictions being placed on Bible reading. The Presbyterians also objected to this reduced Bible reading. There was a further objection to the rule which actively excluded non-participating pupils from the room during the reading of the Bible. The National School committee stated the reading of the Bible was not to interfere or impeded with the scientific or secular business of the school and it was not compulsory for children to attend at those times.
Although Protestant and Catholic children were being educated together it is easy to detect in the controversy over the religious instruction the seeds of denominationalism which were to flourish later.
S.I. McA. SMH '90 p 29 ,30

 

Name of the School information
Admiral Leslie
Donaghadee parish
records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #658
Aghaderg School see under Loughbrickland Glebe School

Annacloy

Inch parish

erected in 1828; expenses paid by local subscription and assisted by the Kildare Street Society for £100; the late Lord de Clifford gave half an acre of land and £20; J.W. Maxwell Esq. of Finnebrogue House gave the same; 57 males & 29 females; the children's religion is never asked; they all read the Bible; the children paid 1/8- 2/6 per quarter in 1836 ; the master was Catholic;teacher was Mr Chambers & it was known as Chambers School; Mr McCarten was the next teacher; anniversary 1 Aug 1863 DR; science class results 13 Jul 1872 DR;
Annadorn
Loughinisland parish
built by the parish in 1833; the National Board of Education gave £8 a year & the pupils paid 1 shilling - 3/6 a quarter with an extra 2 pence per week for arithmetic; those unable to pay go free; 18 males & 7 females; 16 Catholics; 9 Protestants in 1836; notice 21 Mar 1885 DR;
Annahilt -supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1815; 230 students attending (HSSS)
- supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817; 158 students attending (HSSS)
under the Kildare Place Society & the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire;day school scholars, 70 males & 78 females in 1836
Annalong
in Kilkeel parish
a National School; teacher was Nathaniel Crothers in 1910 (POD)
Annsborough
in Kilmegan parish
built by Murland brothers,mill owners in 1835; an integrated primary school by 1996; click here for a photo; school photos of 1936 available (MO 4/5/2005 p16) ; enrolment in 2006 was 42 & threatened with closure DR 29/3/2006 & 20/4/1936
Ardaghy
Kilcoo parish
in 1870 the principal was Master Camlin
Ardarragh
Newry parish
a free school; a small cabin;established 1816 and supported by the London Hibernian Society with £5 per year and £15 from the pupils; intellectual education, moral education using Authorised Version of the Scriptures, no catechisms; males 58, females 46; 2 Protestants; 90 Presbyterians; 14 Catholics; the master was David Warnock, a Presbyterian in 1836
Ardglass

- High St, Ardglass ; 67 Protestants; 81 Catholics; 73 males; 75 females in 1836 ; under Erasmus Smith's institution; established 1820; called the Protestant School in 1852 (POD),teacher in 1852 & 1863 was James Caldwell (GV)

- in the village; 5 Protestants; 9 Catholics;3 males; 11 females in 1836; supported privately; established 1831

- in the village; 10 Protestants; 10 Catholics; 5 males; 15 females in 1836 ; private support; established 1834

- in the village; 28 Protestants; 42 Catholics; 50 males; 20 females in 1836; private support in 1836;

- Infants school; (could be 2 or 3); article 15 Aug 1840 DR: an appeal 14 Sep 1844 DR; Mrs Johnston was mistress in 1852 (POD); sermon for funds 17 & 24 Sep 1853 DR; article 9 Sep 1854 DR
- St. Joseph's Catholic school; funds raised to liquidate debt re new school 8 Aug 1863 DR; records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1242
-Ladies' Seminary & Boarding School in Castle St, Ardglass run by Miss Morris in 1852 POD
-St. Nicholas' Primary School in Ardglass in 1925
Ardkeen handsome schoolhouse, erected in 1832 by Col. Forde at a cost of £500 for the use of his tenantry; divided into 2 parts for males & females; 22 females; no boys school as the master had been dismissed; the mistress receives £25 a year from Colonel Forde and 1 penny week from the pupils if they are able to pay in 1836;
Ardmillan
Tullynakill parish
a boy's school in the village erected in 1825 by local subscription; near the village of Ardmillan; supported by the National Board of Education for £10 a year; 86 pupils; all Protestants; they pay 2 shillings & 6 pence per quarter in 1836; LDS film#247416 1861-1874; Mr John Morrow was manager 2/3/1928(DR) ; click here for a photo
Ardquin
Ardquin parish
LDS film#247467 1871- 1950
Artana
Dromara parish
in 1910 the teachers were John Creighton & Miss Latimer (POD)
Aughnagun
Clonallon parish
1)a Hedge School here in 1824; teacher was Charles Carr whose salary was £5 a year; 21 Catholics & 3 Protestants; 16 boys & 8 girls;
2) school & 3 acres; teacher in 1824 was Terence McAleavey with salary of £12 a year; 16 Catholics; 10boys 7 6 girls (DDPP p101)
Aughnaleck
Annahilt parish
in the SW corner of Mr Mussenden's demesne wall; 60 males & 20 females; 68 Protestants; 12 Catholics; supported by the pupils at 2 shillings & 6 pence a quarter; established in 1830 by Mr D. Mussenden Esq., deceased by 1836, with 1 rood of land but now charged at a rent of 12 shillings a year; taught under the Kildare Street system by William Carnaghan in 1836
Aughnavallog
Drumballyorney parish

this parish school is beside the Church of Ireland and was where the famous Bronte sisters' father taught around 1805 the school is now a Bronte Museum; it was a thatched cabin in good repair; the income comes from the vicar, Rev, John Dubourdieu at £2 per year; & the pupils 1 half penny per week each; the master's salary averages about £8 per year; intellectual education and moral education with books supplied by the London Hibernian Society; 20 males & 20 females; 4 Protestants;26 Presbyterians; the master William Harris is Church of Ireland in 1836

Backnamullough
Dromore parish

in Aghandunvarran townland; supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817; 400 students attending (HSSS); in 1836 , it was described a neat, roughcast whitewashed stone cottage. Its dimensions were 43 feet by 18 feet; it was built in 1815 at a cost of £100 which was raised by subscription; the Marquis of Downshire gave £20; this school was formerly held in house in Backnamullagh townland; under the Kildare Place Society & the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire; day school scholars, 6 males & 10 females; Sunday school scholar 45 males & 41 females; Sunday school teachers 12 males & 12 females in 1836

Ballaghbeg
Kilcoo parish

supported by Lord Annesley; established 1831; 62 males; 46 Protestants; 16 Catholics and a separate school also supported by Lord Annesley and established in 1831 for 50 females; 38 Protestants; 12 Catholics in 1836

Balella see under Ballooly
.
Balliggan
Inishargy parish
next to the parish church; established in 1830;under the support of the London Hibernian Society; 22 males & 8 females; 27 Protestants; 3 Catholics; the pupils pay 1 penny per week in 1836
Ballintogher
Saul parish
65 boys & 39 girls; 22 Protestants & 13 Presbyterians & 69 Catholics; it is held in a cabin; it is an old place and was not erected for a schoolhouse. It was formerly under the Kildare Place Society, the master then receiving £3 6 shillings per year from the society; he now only received books from the society. The children pay 1 penny per week each; the master was Protestant in 1836
Ballooly
Garvaghy parish
it was formerly a ploughman's cottage; in 1834 it was granted free rent by by Mr. John McGinness to the National Board of Education who put it in repair and fitted it up for its present purpose in 1836; there were with 100 Catholic & 10 Presybterian sudents -DDPP p55
Ballyblack
Greyabbey parish
- erected in 1792 at a cost of £21.10.0 partly paid by the Kildare Street Society & by subscription; the master, a Protestant, received 6 pence a quarter for each child that passes examinations and one penny a week from each child; 37 males; 31 females; all Protestants in 1836
- the mistress received £6 a year from the National Board & £4 a year from the children; average age was 12; established 1833; 13 males; 17 females; a;; Protestants in 1836
Ballyblack
Newtownards parish
in the upper part of the old Methodist meeting house; erected in 1815 & paid for by public contributions; 50 males & 10 females; 56 Protestants; 4 Catholics; the master, a Protestant received 2 shillings & 6 pence per quarter from the pupils; there was addition to the house for a separate girls' school with the Kildare Street Society paying half the expenses; disused in 1836
Ballyboley
Greyabbey parish
one of Lord Dufferin's schools; he gave £100 towards the erection of the building & the remainder was paid by subscription; the Kildare Street Society supplied the books; erected in 1834; the master, a Presbyterian, received 1-2 pennies a week from the scholars; 50 males; 10 females; 57 Protestants; 3 Catholics in 1836
Ballybot
Newy parish

97 Protestants; 38 Catholics; 90 males; 45 females; supported by grants from the London Hibernian Society and 1 penny per week from each scholar who passes inspections; generally about 90 pass; £10 yearly is paid by the committee of managers towards the support of teachers; established 1831; reading, writing, arithmetic and needlework were taught in 1836

Ballycashone
Clonduff parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 154 students attending (HSSS); closed in 1836 (OSM)
Ballycastle
Greyabbey parish
a neat building erected in 1813 at the expense of Viscount Castlereagh & public subscriptions; supported by the Erasmus Smith Board; the master, a Protestant, received £30 a year from the Board and 1-2 pennies a week from the pupils; 34 males; 11 females in 1836
Ballycloghan
Saintfield parish
James McCulloch, master here , exam prize winners 10 Feb 1794 (NS); came under the National School system in 1841 (SHM '90 p 30); enrolment in 2006 was 59 & threatened with closure DR 29/3/2006
Ballycottin
in Kilclief parish
establised by protestant Church education Society c. 1900
Ballycowan
Drumbo parish

erected in 1822 at a cost of £300, £200 of which was paid by N. Batt Esq. of Purdysburn House the remaining £100 was a parliamentary grant; the master received £5 a year from Mr.Batt and 3 pence a week from the children; the Kildare Place Society supplied some books; 130 males; the master was a Protestant in 1836
- in the female section, the mistress, a Protestant, received £5 a year from Mr. Batt and 3 pence a week from the girls; 52 females; 50 Protestants; 2 Catholics in 1836

Ballycran
Ardkeen parish
a National School; concert and prize giving 17 Feb 1912 (JUAHS 2012 p34)
Ballycreeley
Comber parish
a Sabbath School in 1863-GV
Ballycullen
Newtownars parish
a National School in 1863-GV
Ballycrune
Annahilt parish
on the south side of the road from Ballynahinch to Hillsborough at the crossroads; 115 males & 69 females; 105 Protestants & 4 Catholics; supported by a bequest of T. Jameson, merchant of Belfast to the amount of £1,000 & endowed with 4 acres of land from the Marquis of Downshire; established 1801 at a cost of £400 and added to with £500, £121 of which was a government grant in 1836
Ballycruttle
Bright parish

St. Joseph's; the principal in 1910 was J. Campbell (POD);enrolment in 2006 was 49 & threatened with closure DR 29/3/2006

Ballyculter Upper

beside the church; began in 1814 with John Williamson as master on a salary of £6 a year raisng to £9 in 1821; new building erected under the supervision of Rev. C. Wolsley in 1823 to replace an earlier building; (BB p 36); a very neat schoolhouse with a garden; previously supported by the Kildare Street Society; Lord Bangor gave £25 in 1836 to the master who also receives a penny a week from the pupils & Lady Bangor gave £11 to the mistress and the dean gives £2 because it is a parish school; 94 males & 77 females; 114 Protestants & 57 Catholics in 1836; a National school (article & photo in Inv 2001 p 51-57 & Inv 2003 p37 & LR 2011 p51); records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #541

Ballyculter a National School
Ballycultra
Holywood parish
at Creighton's Green; 50 males; 30 females; 80 Protestants; 6 Catholics; supported by the National Board for £10 a year & 6 pence per quarter from the children; established in 1820, put under the National Board in 1834
Ballyedock
Dunsford parish
St. Mary's; records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1166
Ballydorn
Killinchy parish
built in 1826 (plaque over door); a National School in 1863-GV; click here for a photo
Ballydown
Seapatrick parish
LDS film#247452 1873- 1878 & #247474 1871- 1939 ; the building is now in the Ulster Folk Museum at Cultra
Ballydrain
Tullynakill parish
on the road from Ballydrain to Ringneil Point; not under any society; built by the county; 40 males & 20 females; all Protestants; the master was a Protestant; supported by the pupils at 1-2 shillings a quarter in 1836: exam & new schoolhouse 21 Aug 1841 DR; a National School in 1863
Ballydugan
Tullylish parish
National school; grant-aid application for evening school for children of weavers 1879; LDS film#247480 1865- 1946
Ballydulaney
Clonallan parish
a small school with 40 pupils; "the parents would be very willing to send their children if they could get any encouragement from the government" in 1836
Ballyedmund
Kilbroney parish
National School attached to Catholic church in 1863- GV
Ballyesborough
Ballyhalbert parish
cost of building the school was £90, £20 of which was given by the Kildare Street Society, the remainder was collected by subscription; the children pay the master 3 pence a week. 40 males; 10 females; 49 Protestants; 1 Catholic; the average age was 13; the master was Presbyterian in 1836; Mr Watt, assistant master drowned 27 Sep 1884 DR;
Ballyferis
Ballywalter parish
a National School in 1863-GV
Ballygalget
Ballyphilip parish
concert at National School to raise funds 19 Jun 1875 (NC)
Ballygally
Inch parish
National School; schoolmaster wanted 27 Mar 1847 DR; fete 9 Aug 1879 DR; Sometimes called Scaddy; click here for a class photo of 1937
Ballygarvigan
Slanes parish
8 Protestants; 82 Catholics; 60 males; 30 females; supported by the scholars at 1 penny per week to 2 pennies per week in 1836; established April 1834
Ballygilbert
Bangor parish
National School in 1863
Ballygorian
Clonduff parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 156 students attending (HSSS); a Hedge School here in 1824 (DDPP p107); a National School in Ballygoriammore in 1863 (GV); enrolment in 2006 was 60 & threatened with closure DR 29/3/2006
Ballygowan
Comber parish
St. Mary's, enrolment in 2006 was 23 & threatened with closure DR 29/3/2006
Ballygrainey
Holywood parish
on the road from Holywood to Bangor at the crossroads; 15 males; 15 females; all Protestants; supported by the scholars;not known when it was established but the present master, J. Johnston was there 3 years in 1836
Ballyhalbert
a National School; previously supported by the Kildare Street Society; erected in 1832 at the expense of £400 which was a very large sum for the size of the house; The Society gave £50 but the remainder was raised by subscription; the master received £8 a year form the National Board and 2 shillings & 6 pence to 3 shillings & 4 pence per quarter from the children; 102 boys; 73 girls; 102 Protestants in 1836 ; click here for a photo of the Elementary School
Victoria School; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #702
Ballyhaskin
Donaghadee parish
a National School in 1863 (GV)
Ballyholland
Newry parish
opened in 1921 to replace Greenan & the Commons Schools(DDPP p13)
Ballykeel
Down parish

Established 1820; 70 males, 42 females; 50 Protestants& 62 Catholics; pupils pay 2 pence per week in 1836

Ballykeel
Dormore parish

supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1816 with 100 students attending (HSSS); a cottage with its income from the London Hibernian Society of £6 and from the pupils £12 per year; intellectual instruction & moral instruction; visited by the minister of Drumlough meeting house & by the curates in the parish;50 males; 34 females; 4 Protestants; 100 Presbyterians; 5 Catholics; master William Kerr a Presbyterian in 1836; in 1910 the teacher was S. Crawford (POD)

Ballykeel
Holywood parish
in the southern part of the townland; 58 males; 28 females 79 Protestants; 7 Catholics; supported by a grant of £10 a year from the National Board and 1 shilling & 6 pence per quarter from the children; established 1827; placed under the National Board in 1831
Ballykeel-Artifinney
Hillsborough
/Kilwarlin parish

called St. James , next to Chapel of Ease; it is a neat, roughcast brick cottage with dimensions of 33 feet by 15 feet; it was built in 1825 at a cost of £49 raised by subscription; The Marquis of Downshire gave £5 ;under the Kildare Place Society & the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire; day school scholars 19 males & 20 females in 1836;click here for a photo of the building ; in 1910 the principal was Miss Cunningham (POD)

Ballykeel- Ednagonnel
Hillsborough parish

it was a neat, stone cottage, roughcast & whitewashed also used as the Annahilt Presbyterian church hall; its dimensions were 53 feet by 18 feet it was built in 1821 at a cost of £106 which was raised by subscription; the Marquis of Downshire gave £10 and the Kildare Society gave £30; part of the building is used as a house for the master;and he has an acre of ground; ;under the Kildare Place Society & the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire;day school scholars, 30 males & 23 females; Sunday school scholars, 55 males & 47 females; Sunday school teachers 6 males & 3 females in 1836; building sold in 1977

Ballykeel Lougherin
Annahilt parish

under the Kildare Place Society & the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire; day school scholars, 12 male & 17 females; Sunday school scholars 28 males & 46 females; Sunday school teachers, 4 males & 4 females in 1836; click here to see its location on a map

Ballykeigle
Kilmood parish
on the road from Comber to Kilmood; 27 males & 13 females; 40 Protestants; supported by the London Hibernian Society & the pupils; established 1807; the teacher was Thomas Floyd in 1836 then Mr W. Morrow before 1841 (MSch p14); a Catholic School in 1863 (GV); the teacher in 1910 was Miss Majury (POD); enrolment in 2006 was 49& threatened with closure DR 29/3/2006
Ballykillare
Bangor parish
a Sabbath schoolhouse in 1863-GV
Ballykine Lower
Magheradrool parish

In 1799 Rev. Samuel Edgar ran a school where he prepared young men for the ministry & other professions (EPC p9 ; under the London Hibernian Society; 32 Protestants; 4 Catholics; 22 makes; 14 females; books are supplied and a grant of £2 per quarter & 1 penny per week from each scholar; established 1830; the house was a gift from the landholder Mr. W. Duffield; taught by J. Henry in 1836

Ballykinler under National Board of Education and patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire; day school scholars, 48 males & 30 females in 1836; Sunday school scholars 15 males & 24 females; Sunday school teachers 5 males & 4 females in 1836; an Endowed School near Carricknab cross roads (LM 1997 p83, photo) ; notice 7 Apr 1855 DR; concert 3 Feb 1883 DR; concert 9 Jan 1886 DR (photo of school house available)
Ballyknock
Hillsborough parish

under the Kildare Place Society & the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire;day school scholars, 24 males & 27 females; Sunday school scholars, 13 males& 12 females; Sunday school teachers 3 males & 1 female in 1836

Ballyknock
Moira parish

under Kildare Place Society; established 1823; had 80 pupils in 1836; sign above the door says school built 1853; boys & girls in separate rooms ( photo available )

Ballyknockan
Saintfield parish
a National School in 1849 (SHM'90 p 30)
Ballyloghan
Comber parish
see under Barn Hill
Ballymacaramery
Saintfield parish
a National School established in 1847 (SHM '90 p 30)
Ballymacarrett
Knockbreda parish
school house rebuilt 26 Jan 1820 after £30 sent from Chief Secteary's Office, Dublin after a letter from Rev. Ross Jebb, Newtownbreda (CSO)
a National School in Ballymacarrett near the Post Office; teacher in 1852 was David Christie (POD)
Infants School in Ballymacarrett ; teacher in 1852 was B. Hanley (POD)
in New Road; opening of new schoolhouse 2 Jun 1866 DR; LDS film#247458 1863-1884
Ballymacbrennan
Drumbo parish

situated on the road from Lisburn to Saintfield; under the LSB (London Scriptural Board) and patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire;day school scholars, 29 males & 28 females; Sunday school scholars 13 males & 8 females; Sunday school teachers 2 males& 2 females; received a grant of £30 a year from the governors of Erasmus Smith's board & one penny per week from those pupils able to pay; established 1818 by Lord Downshire, by whom an acre of ground was given; teacher was John Wilson in 1836

Ballymacrattybeg
Donaghmore parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1816 with 80 students attending (HSSS); school here in 1820 with teacher Robert Bell (Presbyterian) whose salary was £20 per annum; there were 18 Church of Ireland & 12 Presbyterians & 8 Catholics (AIPD p42)
Ballymaghery
Clonduff parish
opened in 1857 (TC p13) ; A National School in 1863 (GV); a boys & girls school (DDPP p107); the master before 1890 was James Brady (TC p29); now called St. Patrick's Primary- next door to the Catholic Church
Ballymaglaff
Comber parish
National School here in 1863, teacher was James Paisley GV
Ballymaglave
see under Ballynahinch
Ballymalady
Comber parish
National School here in 1863- GV
Ballymartin
Kilkeel parsh
Victoria School; opened in 1890 & closed early 1970s (MO 3/4/2013, photos of final class available ) records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #189
Ballymeekan
Holwyood parish
7 males; 6 females; all Protestants; supported by the scholars; the schoolmaster lives day about with the farmers; built, by subscription in 1810 in 1836
Ballymeilbrick
Drumballyorney parish
16 males & 14 females; all Protestants; supported by the pupils in 1836; established 1833
Ballyministra
Kilmood parish
there in 1833; a National School in 1863 -GV
Ballymiscaw
Dundonald parish
built & run by local Presbyterian farmers; opened in 1855 with 48 students (TMUOP p129); a National School in 1863-GV; LDS film#247482 1861- 1950
Ballymoney
Kilcoo parish

a National School; near the Catholic chapel; a neat, slate roofed, stone house in good repair; established 1833; income from National Board of £ 28 per year; from pupils 2 pence per quarter each; master receives from the Board £12 a year; from pupils £15 a year; the mistress receives 5 shillings a week; intellectual & moral education; geometry, arithmetic, mensuration (sic) algebra; visited by Rev. Hugh Smith, parish priest; 27 males; 24 females; all Catholic; attendance very low on account of the harvest; winter attendance being 140 males 7 females in 1836; master & mistress Felix Cunningham & Anne Burns, both Catholics

Ballymoney
Magherally parish

a small cottage near the parish boundary; established 1832; supported by the London Hibernian Society for £2 per year; subscriptions £ 2 a year; from pupils £12 a year; intellectual & moral education; visited by the vicar of Seapatrick, the ..... of Magherally , the Orthodox Presbyterian minister of Banbridge; 49 males; 27 females; 36 Protestants; 36 Presbyterians; 4 Catholics; master was William Dugan, a Presbyterian; Sunday school held in the building; 20 Protestants, 58 Presbyterians; 2 Catholics attend; 40 males; 40 females; 6 male teachers; 4 female teachers; hours of attendance from 8am- 10am; connected with the Sunday School Society in 1836

Ballymullan
Bangor parish
- erected in 1834; expenses paid by Lord Dufferin; the master received 7 pence a month from the children and £5 a year from his lordship; 78 males; 36 females; 112 Protestants; 2 Catholics; the master was Protestant in 1836
- supported by the National Board of Education; expenses paid by subscription from the 4 adjoining townlands; master received £20 a year from the Board & £18 from Sharman Crawford M.P. & £5 a year from the children; 60 males; 24 females; 80 Protestants; 4 Catholics; the master was Protestant in 1836
Ballynacraig
Inch parish

early masters were William Bassett in 1765, William Mawhinney in 1780, Abraham Walker in 1780, William Breen in 1794 , William Lowry in 1796 & William Breen in 1801 (LR 2009 p50) ; in 1836, there were 98 boys & 62 girls; 145 Protestants & 15 Catholics; the master is Protestant; it is a very old schoolhouse, in consequence of which James Waring Maxwell Esq. Of Finnebrogue House is going, at his own expense, to erect a schoolhouse in the centre of the parish;the expense will be £800; the master receives £10 from Mr. Maxwell, £7 from the Society for Discountenancing Vice & £5 from the rector; a house, 2 gardens and 1 acre of ground; 1 half penny per week from the children; the new school will be erected in Dunnanelly townland with Mr, Lynn, builder of Down in charge in 1836

Ballynafern
Annaclone parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 206 students attending (HSSS)

established in 1827; a slated cottage built by the Kildare Society; income from the London Hibernian Society of £7 a year & from the pupils £15 a year; intellectual & moral education; Authorised Version of Scripture used; 72 males & 54 females; 4 Protestants; 97 Presbyterians; 25 Catholics; the master was James McKinstry, a Protestant in 1836

Ballynagappag
Clonduff parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 175 students attending (HSSS); under the London Hibernian Society and patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire;day school scholars, 16 males & 8 females; Sunday school scholars 16 males & 24 females; Sunday school teachers 6 males & 2 females in 1836; still there in 1863 ; click here for a photo of the building
Ballynagarrick
Tullylish parish

supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 57 students attending (HSSS); 54 Protestants; 6 Catholics; 44 males; 16 females; supported by the pupils in 1836 (OSM)

Ballynahinch
Magheradrool parish
- in the town; supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 269 students attending (HSSS); a female school of 30 Protestants & 13 Catholics; supported by the London Hibernian Society for £10 a year & books; the pupils paid 4 pence a week; established 1828; teacher was Anne Dixon in 1836
- in Dromore Street; established in 1834; 32 males & 5 females; 28 Protestants & 9 Catholics; supported by the pupils at 2/9 per quarter; the teacher was William Bartley in 1836; school photo 1930 available (DR 15/6/2005)
- in Dromore Street; all females; 20 Protestants; 10 Catholics; established in 1834; supported by the pupils at 2/6 per quarter; mistress was Mary Bartley in 1836; closed 1954 & amalgamated with new Ballynahinch Primary School.
- north west side of town, on the Lisburn road; established 1826; 27 males & 2 females; 29 Protestants; 2 Catholics; supported by the pupils at 2/9 per quarter; the master was Arthur McLimons in 1836
- St Patrick's Primary School on Main Street; held in a loft in Catholic church in 1827 until Father Peter Polin built a school in Railway Street in 1864; under National system by 1849; 10 boys & 5 girls who paid 4 pence per student (HMP) ; new school built 1958 (BIT p40); click here for class photos 1950s
- in Market Street; established 1832; supported by the pupils at 7/6 a quarter; 5 males & 22 females; 23 Protestants & 4 Catholics; taught by Eliza Morrow in 1836
- new Intermediate School open 4, 11, 18 Jan 1879 DR; letters 25 Jan + 1879 DR
- Assumption Grammar School founded 1933 on the north of town on Belfast Road; a grammar school for girls with 840 studernts in 2012 (BIT p40)
-Ballynahinch Primary School built 1954 and amalgamated Ballymaglave, Magheradrool & Bell's School (BIT p42)
- new co-ed high school built in Sep 1955 on Belfast Road (BIT p38)
Ballynany-
either Annaclone or Clonduff parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1817 with 101 students attending (HSSS)
Ballynoe
Bright parish

was held in the teacher's dwelling house; 4 Protestant males & 4 females; 28 Catholic males & 28 females in 1836

Ballyphilip
St. Mary's in Portaferry; records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1227; LDS film#247468 1873-1934
Ballyregan
Dundonald parish
in Dundonald village; 14 males & 11 females; supported by the rector of Dundonald for £20 a year & by the scholars in 1836; established 1827
Ballyrobert
Holywood parish
on the road from Holywood to Bangor at the entrance to Mr Turnley's, Rockport; 19 males; 20 females; 36 Protestants; 3 Catholics; supported by £10 a year from Mrs. Turnley & one penny per week from each of the scholars; established in 1820; taught by a female under the Kildare Street system in 1836
Ballyrogan
Newtownards parish
A school was here in 1836 (OSM) & a National School in 1863-GV; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #559; click here for a photo of the class c. 1887
Ballyrolly
Donaghadee parish
a Free Girls School here in 1863-GV
Balllyroney in Drumballyroney parish a Parish School in the church grounds; a thatched building in good repair with 20 males & 10 females in 1835; rebuilt by subscription in 1870 with a teaching staff of 3; evening classes held for adults; click here for a photo; b/w photo available ORHB p45; records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #298
Ballysallagh Minor
Bangor parish
erected in 1823; expenses paid by subscriptions; Lord Dufferin gave £20 for the building & £5 a year for the master; the master also received the interest of £200 left for that purpose by the late Mr Magowan; the children pay 2 shillings a quarter; 36 boys; 16 girls; all Presbyterians; the master was Protestant in 1836; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #630
Ballystockart
Comber parish
26 males; 39 females; all Protestants; the master received £8 a year from the Board of Education and from 1 - 2 shillings quarterly from the pupils; taught by Mr. Murphy in 1836; records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #860
Ballytrim
Killyleagh parish
National School; robbery 1 Jan 1842 DR; presentation to Mr S.E. Stewart 26 May 1860 DR; reopening 15 Dec 1883 DR;records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #855 ; click here for a photo of the class of c. 1930
Ballytrustan
Ballee parish

4 Protestants; 27 Catholics; 15 males; 16 females; supported by the pupils in 1836

Ballyvarley
Aghaderg parish
built in 1841 & replaced in 1967 (DDPP p150)
Ballyveaghmore
Kilkeel parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817; 117 students attending (HSSS); records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #1062
Ballyvester
Donaghadee parish
a National School in 1863 (GV); records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #697; click here for a photo of the school
Ballyvicknacelly
Dromore parish
records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #187
Ballywalter supported by the National Board of Education; 63 males; 63 females; all Presbyterians; the pupils contribute to its support in 1836; established in May 1834 near the Presbyterian Church (SBTS p122); dinner held for Andrew Mulholland 3 Jan 1847 DR; school fete 29 Aug 1874 DR; the principal in 1910 was Hugh Magill with assistant Miss Glover & Infants school, Miss Glover & assistant Miss G. Glover (POD) records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #294
Ballyward
Drumgooland parish

1) a male school, slated house in good repair; established 1828; the income is from the London Hibernian Society at £4 per year & F.C. Beers Esq. Of Ballyward Lodge gave £5 a year & the pupils pay 1 penny a week; expenditure on salaries £14 per year with house & garden; intellectual education & Moral education with books supplied; Rev. Mr. , F,C. Beers Esq.& Rev. R. Forde, curate of Drumgooland visit; 34 males; 4 Protestants; 25 Presbyterians; 5 Catholics; Master was Joseph McAulay a Presbyterian in 1836
2) a female school; income from London Hibernian Society of £5 a year & Ladies London Society £4 a year; 51 females the children paid 1 penny a week; teacher Margaret Morgan in 1835 (DCPH p 85)

Ballyweely
Clonduff parish
a Hedge School here in 1824 (DDPP p107)
Ballywilliam
Comber parish
15 males; 5 females; all Protestants; supported in part by the scholars and £4 a year from the London Hibernian Society; established 1834; taught by J. McConnel in 1836
Ballywilliam
Donaghadee parish
105 males; 22 females; all Protestants; supported by the pupils in 1836
Ballywooden
Saul parish

the school was held in the Catholic chapel by the master, feeling convicted of the deficiency of his acquirements, has for the present gone to school himself & intends reopening his academy as soon as he finds himself capable of so doing in 1836

Banbridge Seapatrick parish
Banbridge School records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1276 & film Friars Place # 1701996 Ref #754 & Lancastrian School #742 & Dunbar Memorial #761 & Rathfriland Street #762 & Scarva Street #751 & Church Street #744
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817; 169 students attending (HSSS)
in 1836- Lancastrian School off Church Street; established 1829; Adam & Hester Glass were early teachers here; James Shields, teacher in 1819 (POD); 141 pupils in 1836 ; photo available (OB p23); Banbridge School records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1276 & film # 1701996 Ref #754 & #742 & Dunbar Memorial #761 & Rathfriland Street #762 & Scarva Street #751

- under the Kildare Place Society & the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire; day school scholars, 99 males & 92 females; Sunday school scholars 36 males & 30 females; Sunday school teachers 2 males & 1 female in 1836; address to Robert Irvine from teachers 1 Aug 1857 DR;

- Ladies' School- notice 8 Sep 1855 DR;
a classical & commercial school for males; day or boarding run by Presbyterian, Rev James Davis in 1824
a mixed National School opened 1858 in St.Patricks Church, Dromore Street; girls school built 1871 (DDPP p130)
Male National Catholic School; principal teacher c. 1868- 1895 was Daniel McConvil (MIs)
Bangor Bangor School records in PRONI; Central School Film# 1701995 Ref #543 & Primacy #542 & Trinity #571 & St. Comgalls Convent film #1736304 Ref#1221
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817; 252 students attending (HSSS)
in 1836- in Church Quarter; 85 females; 83 Protestants; 2 Catholics; supported by Col. Ward;and pupils paid 1 penny a week in 1836
- in Church Quarter; an infants school; 58 pupils; all females; all Protestants; supported by Col. Ward in 1836
- in Castle Street, in the former Methodist chapel; 50 males; 10 females; all Protestants; supported by contributions from pupils in 1836;
- in Main Street; 40 pupils; all males; all Protestants; established 1820; supported by the pupils in 1836;records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #545
- in Main Street; 34 males; 8 females; 39 Protestants; 3 Catholics; established 1830; supported by the pupils in 1836; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #545
- foundation stone of new school 1 Jun 1844 DR;
- Endowments Commission, built 1856 on site of Black Hole gaol; 50 students with patronage from Robert Ward & Viscount Bangor; early principal was R.T. Gwy (NDM photo p54); Endowed School 27 Oct 1888; sale of old building 7 May 1898 (NC)
-Ward School held in the Market House; principal in 1874 was John Gray; records in PRONI Ward #544
There was a National School adjoining the Presbyterian Church in Main Street in 1863-GV
Bann
Tullylish parish
see under Lawrencetown
Barnamaghery
Kilmore parish
become a National School in 1847 (SHM '90 p30); soiree & presentation, John Hamilton teacher 21 Jan 1854 DR; name of principal & numbers 15 Jul 1865 DR; fund raising concert 19 Feb 1924 DR*
Barn Hill
Comber parish
near Ballyloghan townland; 35 males; 11 females; all Protestants; supported in part by the scholars & a grant of £7 from the London Hibernian Society; established 1834; taught by W. Goudy in 1836
Barnmeen
Drumgath parish
60 males & 40 females; 12 Protestants & 88 Catholics; supported by the pupils who paid 1-3 pennies a week & the National Board for £12 a year in 1836; burnt down by Black & Tans in 1921 (DDPP p111) records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1282
Barr
n Knockanarney; built 1820 & replaced 1839 -DDPP p37records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1284
Basin Hill
Blaris parish

an elegant school instituted by the Society of Friends (Quakers) where scholars are boarded; built and partly endowed by a legacy from an individual named Handock, partly by subscription in 1836

Benraw
Drumgooland parish

- 93 males & 63 females; children paid 1/1 or 2/2 a quarter; teacher John McCracken in 1835 ( DCPH p 85);
- supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1817 with 305 students attending (HSSS); London Hibernian Society paid £1.9.6. per quarter; children paid 1 penny a week; 100 males & 78 females; teacher was David McCracken in 1835 (DCPH p 85)

Bingian
Kilkeel parish
records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #739
Blaris supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 129 students attending (HSSS)

Blaris

called Magherary

built 1828 at a cost of £250 which was raised by subscription; the Marquis of Downshire gave £25, the Marquis of Hertford gave £25 and Lady Downshire gave £20; in 1836, it was established under the Kildare Place Society; and patronised by the Marquis & Marchioness of Downshire; day school scholars; 35 males, 24 females, 59 total; Sunday school scholars; 38 males, 50 females, 88 total; Sunday School teachers; 6 males, 7 females; a neat, stone cottage 51 feet by 19 feet;it had a cupola on the top in 1836; records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #184; LDS film#247490 1887- 1937

Bleary
Tullylish parish

supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 82 students attending (HSSS); small school supported by the pupils in 1836(OSM)

Boardmill
Killaney parish

under no society - patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire;day school scholars, 38 males & 26 females; Sunday school scholars 89 males & 98 females; Sunday school teachers; 11 males & 10 females in 1836;records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #1078

Bonecastle
Down parish
National School; school records available 1840-43; prize for neatness 16 Jul 1864 DR; excursion 3 Sep 1881 DR; headmistress before 1918 was Miss Maria o'Mara then 1918- 1958 was Miss Margaret Kilroy then Mr. Joe Smyth (1957-1967), Mrs. Margaret Hynds (1967-1971) & Mrs. Mary Press until the school closed in 1975 (DR 23/6/2010) records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #538
Bottier
Moira parish

called Lurganville school; established 1776; under the Kildare Place Society; has about 25 pupils in 1836;

- a National school; established 1816; records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #319

Brackney
records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1187
Brague
Aghaderg parish
a small, slate roofed cottage established 1818; income is from the pupils £10 per year; intellectual & moral education; writing & arithmetic using the Dublin reading & spelling books; the Old & New Testaments of the Bible are supplied by the Kildare Society; the Presbyterian minister Rev Robert Little was the patron& visitor; catechism taught is needed and Scriptures taught every day; 33 males; 29 females; 53 Presbyterians; 9 Catholics; the master was Robert Taylor a Protestant in 1836
Bresagh
Tullynakill parish
near the Presbyterian meeting house; established 1827; built by subscription; 32 males & 19 females; all Protestants; supported by the pupils at 2 shillings 2/6 per quarter; taught by James Grier in 1836
Bright

parish school;under the National Education Board; erected 1812 at a cost of £50; the master then was James Ennis (LM 1999 p5) ; 74 males & 46 females; 80 Protestants & 40 Catholics;the master (a Protestant) received£10 from the Board and 8 shillings a quarter from the children in 1836; defence of National Education system 26 Jan 1839 DR;

Bryansford
Kilcoo parish

built in 1822 by Lord Roden for girls & infants; school for boys built 1826 on Dispensary Hill (KPCB p16)

Burren
Dromara parish
records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #522
Burrenreagh
Kilcoo parish
records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1169
Cabra
Clonduff parish
built by Alexander McMullan in 1854 (AR p2); became church proprty in 1932 (DDPP p107)
Cabragh
Hillsborough parish

at New Bridge; a plain, stone cottage with a slate roof; its dimensions were 31 feet by 15 feet; rebuilt in 1824 at a cost of £25 which was raised by subscription in 1836;

Cargagh
in Ballyculter parish

established by Protestant Church Education Society c. 1900
Cargycroy
Drumbo parish
a Kildare Street Society school; established 1828 at a cost of £90; income of 2 shillings & 3 pence per quarter form the children; the Bible & Dublin reading books used; 60 males; 24 females; all Protestants; the master was William Stewart Mitchel, a Presbyterian in 1836 ; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #725
Carinagh
Kilkeel parish
records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #738
Carnacaville
Maghera parish
reopened 22 Mar 1956 (MO); records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1197
Carnew
Garvaghy parish
in 1910 the teachers were G. Gamble & Miss Agnes McFadden (POD); now closed (ARF) ; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #695
Carnashoke
in kilclief parish
established by Father Maginn in 1858 with a grant from National Education Board
Carnmeen
Newry parish

The Misses Coulter kept this school as a boarding school; they began in 1831 with 12 pupils; 16 Protestants females who are instructed in English, French, writing and needlework; it cost £30 per year music, dancing, drawing & Italian were occasionally taught for an extra sum of 8 or 10 guineas a year in 1836

Carnreagh
Blaris parish

a good slate roofed house built for the purpose in 1826; at a cost of £100, which was raised by local subscription; James Ewart, a farmer, gave the site free; it is kept in repair by subscriptions lifted at charity sermons preached in the house by the Presbyterians of Hillsborough; under the Kildare Place Society & the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire; day school scholars, 47 males & 35 females; Sunday school scholars , 28 males & 38 females; Sunday school teachers,2 males & 2 females; The building also doubles as a Methodist meeting house in 1836

Carr
Drumbo parish

situated on the road from Hillsborough to Saintfield; the school was endowed with a half acre of ground; established 1828 & built by subscription of £20 from Lord Downshire; under the Kildare Place Society & the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire;day school scholars,44 males & 30 females; Sunday school scholars,30 males & 20 females; Sunday school teachers 6 males ; measures 55 by 30 feet; taught by T. Crozier in 1836

Carrickmaderrow
Killaney parish
opposite the Presbyterian meeting house; established in 1834; 40 males & 13 females; 52 Protestants; 1 Catholic; supported by the pupils at 1-2 pennies a week; the teacher was Mary Orr in 1836; LDS film#147474 1869- 1906
Carrickmannan
Killinchy parish
established 1825;dimensions 40 by 14 feet; the master's house is connected with a walled yard; Lord Dufferin paid the teacher £6.6.0 a year with the free house; the rector also paid for 12 scholars, £12 a year; the pupils paid about £2-5 a year; in connection with the Kildare Place Society;; intellectual & moral education given;visited by Rev. H. Ward & Presbyterian ministers; catechisms of every denomination after school hours; Authorised version of the Bible used; 87 males; 94 females; 3 Protestants; 98 Presbyterians; 80 Catholics; the master, John Murray was a Catholic in 1836; became a National School in 1841 (SHM '90 p30);The teacher in 1910 was Mr. John Murray (POD); enrolment in 2006 was 85 & threatened with closure DR 29/3/2006; records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #145; LDS film#247474
Carricknab -Tyrella parish see under Ballykinler
Carrickneveagh
Killaney parish
on the NW side of the road from Hillsborough to Saintfield; established 1811 with the ground given by Mr Todd & built by subscription; 39 males & 11 females; 50 Protestants; taught by F. Sturgeon under the Kildare under the Kildare Place Society & the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire;day school scholars, 24 males & 16 females; Sunday school scholars 61 males& 52 females; Sunday school teachers 10 males & 4 females in 1836; became a National School in 1851 (SHM '90 p 30); records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #92; LDS film#247460 1864- 1932
Carrickcroy
Drumbo parish
a Kildare Street Society school; established 1828 at a cost of £90; income of 2 shillings & 3 pence per quarter form the children; the Bible & Dublin reading books used; 60 males; 24 females; all Protestants; the master was William Stewart Mitchel, a Presbyterian in 1836; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #725
Carrigenagh
Kilkeel parish
records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #738
Carrowcarlin
Saul Parish

held in the Catholic chapel as there isn't a schoolhouse; 50 pupils with about one-third Protestants; supported by payments from the children in 1836

Carrowdore
Donaghadee parish
expenses paid by the landlord N.D. Crommelin; the master received from the National Board £8 a year & one penny a week from the children; 48 males; 45 Protestants; 3 Catholics; the master was a Protestant; the average age of the children was 10 in 1836; concert 8 Sep 1877 (NC)
Carryduff
Drumbo parish
a National school; erected in 1827, paid by subscription & the Kildare Street Society gave £35; 65 males; 50 females; all Protestants; average age 12; the master, a Protestant, received from the National Board £8 a year & 2 pence a week from the children in 1836
Caskum
Aghaderg parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 69 students attending (HSSS)
Castle Gardens
Newtownards parish
inaugural ceremoney 23 Jun 1893; Rev Hanna & J. Biggar Mp there 22 Nov 1884; correspondence re school 3 Jan 1885(NC) ; records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #19; LDS film#247423 1870-1879
Castle Hill
records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1277
Castlereagh
Knockbreda parish

supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 180 students attending (HSSS); under the Kildare Place Society & the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire;day school scholars, 32 males & 32 females; Sunday school scholars, 58 males & 50 females; Sunday school teachers, 7 males & 4 females in 1836; a Parochial School in 1863-GV

Castlevennon
Garvaghy parish

a small cottage established 1829; the income is from the London Hibernian Society at £2 & 10 shillings & from the pupils £8 per year; Intellectual & moral education with books from the Society; visited by Rev. Hugh Hamilton; no catechisms; using Authorised Version of Scripture; 25 males;25 females; 1 Protestant; 30 Presbyterians; 4 Catholic; master was Joshua Moore a Presbyterian in 1836 ; records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #231

Castlewellan
Kilmegan parish

108 Protestants; 36 Catholics; 88 males; 56 females; established in 1835; the Hibernian Society gave 6 pence for each scholar & the children pay 1 penny per week; The master & mistress are Protestants; the patron was Capt. Burney in 1836;records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #83 & film #1701996 Ref #766 ; LDS film#247458

Institute of the education of deaf, blind and dumb children -meeting 26 Jul 1856 DR
St. Malachy's Catholic School; in Main Street; built 1897 & enlarged 1937; records in PRONI film #1710195 Ref #685; LDS film#247458 1864-1918 ; click here for a photo
Chambers School
Kilmore parish
see Annacloy
Charley Memorial
Drumbeg parish
records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #1031
Church Ballee
Balle parish

105 Protestants;20 Catholics; 80 males; 45 females; supported by the Board of Education which contributes £12 per year & the pupils pay from 2 shillings to 5 shillings per quarter in 1836; article 20 Oct 1855 DR; address to Robert Irvine, teacher 14 Feb 1857 DR;

Church Quarter
Dundonald parish
attached to the Presbyterian meeting-house in Dundonald village; all Protestants; 30 males; 20 females; supported by the scholars; established 1833; taught by Mr. G. Hayshanks in 1836;
Clandeboye
Bangor parish
Demesne School; fete 10 Sep 1864 DR; then a National School by 1863 (GV); Mr Waterworth was princpal c. 1900 & Miss Kennedy a teacher (NDM p11); click here for a photo
Clanvaraghan
Kilmegan parish
records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #786
Claragh
Loughinisland parish

a slate roofed house in poor repair; established 1822; income from Col. Forde of Seaforde £8 per year & from pupils 1 penny a week; the income of the master is £15 a year; intellectual & moral education following Kildare Place Society books; visited by Col. Forde & Rev. William Nisbett, curate; 79 males; 62 females; 38 Protestants; 32 Presbyterians; 71 Catholics; the master was Richard Melville, Church of Ireland in 1836; article 22 Aug 1840 DR; exams 18 Jul 1885 DR; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #568

Clare
Tullylish parish

small school supported by the pupils in 1836

Clintagh
Cluntagh

Annahilt parish

on the Dromara road; 40 Protestants; 30 males; 10 females; supported by the scholars since the withdrawal of the government grants to the Kildare Street Society; established 1827; built by subscription; taught on the Kildare system; Alexander Cox was the teacher in 1836;records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #757

Cloghanramer

called Rochvale
Newry parish

Mr. Henan and Mr. Gordon built the school house, half a mile east of the Dublin road in 1824 at the expense of £30; was supported by the Kildare Street Society but is now with the London Hibernian Society; intellectual & moral education; visited by Rev. James Shields; 45 Protestants ; 15 Catholics; "The Society's order as to the use of the Protestant Bible in the school prevents some Catholic parents from sending their children; the master was James Arbuthnot a Presbyterian in 1836; register available from 1868 in PRONI (OFN p 239); records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #781

Clontifleece
in Clonallan parish

built by Narcissus Batt Esq.c. 1810; a 'hedge' school; the teacher, Mr Quinn was paid £30 per year ; 16 boys & 8 girls , all relgions (NR 30/6/2005 p67); a National School in 1839 (DDPP p96)

Clough
Loughinisland parish
National School; John Robinson , teacher award 30 Nov 1861 DR*; presentation to Thomas Bartley Esq. 6 Nov 1886 DR; records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #523
Cloghram
Kilmegan parish
a superior schoolhouse erected in 1822; erected by Major Renous & supported by Mr Allen of Mount Panther; it cost £500; the National Board gave £8 a year to the master & £6 to the mistress (man & wife); there was a boys' room & a girls' room; 65 males & 57 females; the master & Mistress resided at the school in 1836
Cloghskelt
Drumgooland parish

a good slate roofed house near the meeting house; established 1826; income from the London Hibernian Society at £6 per year & from pupils 1 or 2 pennies per week each; expenditure on salaries was £15 per year; intellectual & moral education with books provided by the Society; visitor was Rev. Thomas Reid, Presbyterian minister; 14 pupils; all male;all Presbyterians; master was William Wright, Presbyterian in 1836; records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #774

Cloghy
Castleboy parish
supported by London Hibernian Society; 135 males; 56 females; 95 Protestants; 96 Catholics; established in 1828; small contribution from the pupils in 1836
Clontonacally
Drumbo parish

under the London Hibernian Society for £8 a year and patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire; day school scholars, 49 males & 30 females; all Protestants; established 1823; taught by W. Millikin; Sunday school scholars 63 males & 50 females; Sunday school teachers 9 males & 6 females in 1836; records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #102; LDS film#247462 1872-1928

Comber School records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #759 & Spinning Mills #746 & Smyth's #743 & Londonderry # 749
in 1836- south of the Square;30 males; 10 females; all Protestants; established 1827; supported by the pupils who paid 10 shillings- 20 shillings per quarter; taught my Mr. Reid in 1836 in 1836
- south of the Square; all females; all Protestants; established 1834; £100 a year was raised by the pupils; taught by Mrs. Myles in 1836
- in the Mews of Mill Street; 28 males; 12 females; 37 Protestants; 3 Catholics; established 1827; supported by the pupils who paid 3 shillings & 6 pence to 4 shillings & 6 pence per quarter; taught in a barn by F. Quin in 1836

- east side of the Square, Comber ; founded 1813 by Viscountess Castleragh (POD, ACOC p5); 267 Protestants; 8 Catholics; 150 males; 125 females; supported by an annual grant of £30 from Erasmus Smith's Board, with a dwelling house in the rear for the teacher; the pupils who are able to pay half penny a week; established 1814; 70 feet by 18 feet & cost £400 to build; taught by Mr. J. Bat in 1836 ; the females were taught needlework by Mrs. Fleming for 2 hours a day in 1836; still there in 1863 (GV) & 1899 (POD); the head teacher in 1870 was Owen Laveille (POD) & the master in late 1800s was Charles George Flinn with his wife, Dorothea, in charge of the juniors in 1880 (PE) ; sketch (TOOCp47);called Londonderry National School ; amalgamated in 1938 with these other schools to become Comber Elementary School on Darragh Road (TOOC p92) ; b/w photo available (ACOC p42,66)

- in Saintfield Street; supported by Lord Londonderry; 40 males; 19 females; all Protestant; supported by the pupils at 2 shillings & 6 pence a quarter; established in 1830; taught by J. Shields in the Lancastrian system in 1836
in Barry St, Comber; a private school established in 1827 with 35 Protestant pupils (TOOCp55)
in High Street in 1863; National School School -GV
  1st Comber Presbyterian Church National School here in 1866; headmasters were James Millen then James Chambers 1886-1908 & William Pollock by 1912 ; attendance in 1903 was 208 students (ACOC p27,42,140)
  in Downpatrick St, Comber in 1870; an Infants School; teacher was Mrs. Turner (POD)
  a National School attacted to 2nd Presbyterian Church in Market Street, called Smyth's National School after John Smyth of New Comber House who donated the money in 1861- built 1878 with two rooms & 9 classes, extended in 1881 , school master's residence built in 1888 (ACOC p83) still there 1912 (ACOC p5,28) demolished in 1993 (TOOCp80) The Principals were Mr. J. D. Harper in 1873, Mr Boyce, Mr. J.B. Macrory 1887-1894, Mr. A.S. Harvey 1894-1898 , Mr. D. Hunter 1898-1906 & from 1907 was James McCrea (ACOC p43)
  a Congregational School here in 1912 (ACOC p5)
. St. Mary's Catholic School in Killinchy Street opened 10 Oct 1904 with Miss Susan Meehan as principal (ACOC p44,124) ; still there in 1935
. Andrew's Mill School in Mill view ; built 1877 (ACOC p54) with Kate White as principal ; evening school 1867-78 for mill workers & 1877 a day school for employee's children (TOC p73) ; called Comber spinning Mill National School ; the principal in 1890- at least 1912 was John Murray; attendance in 1901 was 79 boys & 81 girls; (ACOC p29,41)
  Non Subscribing Church were raising funds to build there own school in 1878 (ACOC p59)
Conlig
Bangor parish
69 males; 33 females; all Protestants; supported by the National Board of Education for £10 a year; pupils pay 1 half pennies per week in 1836; first opened on 19th June 1833 ;records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #308
Coose
Tullylish parish

in 1824 teacher was Edward Geoghegan whose salary was £20 a year (DDPP p140); extended in 1834; 24 Protestants;94 Catholics; 68 males; 50 females; supported by the pupils & a grant from the National Board in 1836

Corcreeny see under Kilwarlin
Corgary
Donaghmore parish
also called Dromantine School; built 1847; a National School by 1848 -DDPP p37
Cornreany
see under Fortescue
Cottown
Bangor parish
33 males ; 8 females; all Protestants; supported by the pupils who paid from 2 pence to 2 half pence per week in 1836
Craigacroy
Drumbo parish
situated near a bog on the road from Ballynahinch to Lisburn; 34 males; 30 females; all Protestants; supported by the pupils at 2 shillings & 6 pence per quarter since the withholding of the government grant to the Kildare Street Society; supplied with books from the London Hibernian Society; established 1828, rebuilt in 1829, dimensions 53 by 29 feet; endowed with a small piece of land; teacher was John Richey, patron was Rev. E.J. Cordner in 1836
Craigogantlet
Newtownards paris
a National School in 1863-GV
Cranfield
Kilkeel parish
on the old OS map there are two schools in the northern part of the townland;records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #731
Crawfordsburn
Bangor parish
schoolhouse here in 1863-GV
Creightons Green
Holywood parish
in Ballycultra townland; a school was established here in 1820; new school built by subsciption in 1846;records in PRONI film #1736305 Ref #1474
Croan
Clonallon parish
a thatched cabin in 1824 with teacher Hugh Grant whose salary was £16 a year; 41 Catholics & 10 Presbyteriansa & 2 others; 36 boys & 17 girls (DDPP p101)
Crobane
Newry parish

a neat cottage established November 1834; income was from the London Hibernian Society of £3 a year , from the Marquis of Anglesea £ 5 , from Samuel Parson, Trevor Hill, Newry £3 and from the pupils £ 7 per year; intellectual & moral education; visited by Rev. James Shields; no catechisms; using the Authorised Version of Scripture; 38 males; 39 females; 8 Protestants; 39 Presbyterians; 30 Catholics; master was Andrew Jordan a Presbyterian in 1836

Crohill
Newry parish
built in 1841 & replaced in 1934; amalgamated with Sheeptown in 2001 -DDPP p29
Croreagh
Newry parish

established 1825; income from the pupils £15 per year; expenditure, ground rent 2 shillings & 2 pence per year; intellectual & moral education using Dublin & Universal reading books; 56 males;30 females; 20 Presbyterians; 66 Catholics; master was Hugh Grant, a Catholic in 1836;records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #624 (DDPP p28)

Crossgar
Dromara parish
Trevor family granted land for building of school in 1827 (TEP)
Crossgar
Kilmore parish

a National School under the National Board of Education in John Street; erected in 1826 at the expense of the master, (it cost £30); he receives £8 per year from the Board and from the children 20 pence to 3 shillings per quarter; the National Board supplies the books at half price;40 boys; 12 girls; 56 Protestants; 5 Catholics; the master was Presbyterian in 1836; enrolment in 2006 was 74 & threatened with closure DR 29/3/2006

there were 2 other schools in town; one had a gratuity of £10 from the Kildare Place Society but since the withdrawing of the government grant could only give the teacher £2 a year; the children supported both these small schools for 2-3 shillings a quarter in 1836
in Market Street; around 1769; taught by Rev Moses Neilson; classical school also teaching Irish; later transfered to a house in Killyleagh Street & taught by a teacher from Dublin in 1836; could be one of the schools mentioned above
the Clealand School; built around 1780 in The Square; teacher was Mr Wright, a Protestant who also taught the Catholic children their Catechism for Confirmation in 1836
http://www.mamisa.net/Pictures/Albums/Lisnamore1919.htm old photos of Crossgar School
Crossnacreevy
Comber parish
30 males; 20 females; 48 Protestants; 2 Catholics; supported by contributions from the children in 1836; still there in 1863 on land leased from Marquis of Downshire (GV); records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #24; LDS film#247426 1868-1905
Crowhill
records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1281
Culcavey
Blaris parish
a National School; in 1910 the principal was J. Baird (POD)
Cullintraw
Comber parish
National School in 1863-GV
Curley
Newry parish
records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #412
Darragh Cross
Killinchy parish
St. Caolan's Primary School; founded in 1887 probably by Rev. Hamill. Rev. Rogan was Parish Priest from 1955, and he oversaw the renovation/modernisation of the school in 1956-57 ; enrolment in 2006 was 84 & threatened with closure DR 29/3/2006; 125th anniversay DR 2/5/2012; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #736
Dechommet
Drumgooland parish
opened in 1834 (DDPP p65,66); became a national School in 1837; records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1268
Derrycraw
Donaghmore parish
also called Glenn School; built 1818; a National School by 1848 -DDPP p37; records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #29; LDS film#247428
Derryboy
Killyleagh parish
a National School; principal Mr. J. Morrow 23 Oct 1915 (DR*); enrolment in 2006 was 72 & threatened with closure DR 29/3/2006; records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #30; LDS film#247427 1863-1873
Derrylough
Annaclone parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 128 students attending (HSSS)
Derrynaseer
records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1164
Derryora
LDS film#247428 1864-1915
Dollingstown
Magheralin parish
records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #921
Donaghadee supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 215 students attending (HSSS)
- 48 males; 12 females; all Protestants; supported by the pupils who paid 2-4 pence per week in 1836;records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #659
- 12 males; 7 females; all Protestant;s supported by the pupils who paid 2 pence per week in 1836; there were previously 3 other school in town but were closed "for a time"; records in PRONI film #170195 Ref #660
in 1863 there was a National School adjacent to the 2nd Presbyterian Church in Warren Road & another beside 1st Presbyterian in High Street & an Endowed School in Warren Road, an Endowed Infants School in New Street; a National School adjacent to the Methodist Chapel in Mount Street-GV
Donaghcloney

- this parish school was a cottage in the graveyard; its income was from the London Hibernian Society £5 & from pupils £16; Intellectual & moral education; visited by Protestant clergy; no catechisms taught;12 males; 16 females;10 Protestants; 18 Presbyterians; master was Joseph Ardlow a Protestant in 1836

- held in part of an small, slated cottage near the Seceding meeting-house; established 1836; income from the pupils £ 25 a year; intellectual & moral education; books from London Hibernian Society; visited by Rev. James Moorehead; Authorised Version of Scripture used; 22 males; 20 females; 7 Protestants; 35 Presbyterians; master was John Adamson , a Presbyterian in 1836
- in Donaghcloney village; a National School built 1903 in memory of William N. Liddell; photo available (ODHD p45) closedin 1970s thebuilding became St Patricks Church of Ireland
Donaghmore
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 130 students attending (HSSS)
Glebe National School;opposite Church of Ireland; click here for a photo; records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #243
Dorans Rock
Saintfield parish
teacher in 1846 was William Quartz (DR31/10/1846*)

Downpatrick
Down parish

 

 

 

 

 

 

Downpatrick
Down parish

- established 1733; 22 pupils , all female; 20 Protestants, 2 Catholics; supported by an endowment of £12 per year and by quarterly payments from pupils of 7 shillings & 6 pence to 10 shillings in 1836 ; could be Dean Pratt's school in Fryars Lane, Castle Quarter, Downpatrick mentioned in E. Southwell's Rent Roll of 1751

- Southwell Boys Charity School; The Blue Coat school;in The Mall, English Street;established 1733 by Edward Southwell (LM 1990 p53-64); James Richardson was master & Ann Pringle, mistress in 1824; restored 1826 by Lord de Clifford; 26 pupils, all male; 25 Protestants, 1 Catholic; supported by endowment of £15 per year and by fees paid by all pupils in 1836; Ellen Morrow was head teacher of the Female School in 1864 and was replaced by Kate Sparrow on her retirement (LM 1985 p31); records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #188 & Girls School #701 (LM 1983 p49) (LM 1989 p14-16 photo ) (LM 1990 p53-68) (LM 1992 p46-47)

Down Academy; c. 1810; at the corner of Scotch & Saul Sts, Downpatrick; run by Rev. James Neilson of Stream Street Presbyterian Downpatrick & run similarly to his father Rev. Moses Neilson's Classical School in Rademon; his son Samuel Craig Neilson continued running the school c. 1830 (LR 2010 p52-53)
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 318 students attending (HSSS)

- established 1830; 39 pupils, all female; supported by public subscription and by 1 penny per week from pupils in 1836

- supported by the London Hibernian Society; 75 males & 28 females; 50 Protestants & 53 Catholics; pupils pay 1 penny per week in 1836

- Infants school in Infirmary Street; mistress in 1852 was Mary Wallace (POD); article 14 Jan 1837 DR;old established school, soiree 14 Sep 1839 DR;article 16 Jul 1842 DR; resignation & reappointment 12 Oct 1872 DR; Presbyterian Church School soiree 31 Jan 1880 DR; excursion 27 Aug 1881 DR; annual entertainment 27 Jan 1883 DR;records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #703
- Lancastrian school in John's Lane, Charles McCreevy was master in 1824 & Samuel Nicholson in 1852; article 13 May 1837 DR; exams 23 Dec 1837 DR;
- Committee school (could be 1,2 or 3 ) then called the Downpatrick School; exam results 30 Dec 1837 DR;exam results 14 Jul 1838 DR;exam results 13 Jul 1839 DR; Rev. William Graham, principal 4 Jan 1840 DR;exam results 9 Jan 1841 DR; death of former principal Rev Graham & tribute from pupil 8 Jul 1848 DR;
- new National school in Infirmary Street; article 27 May 1837 DR; article 30 Dec 1837 DR;article 6 Jan 1838 DR;soiree 6 Jul 1839 DR; letter 9 May 1840 DR; female school 27 Jun 1840 DR;article 22 May 1841 DR;principal John Bell lectures 28 Feb 1874 DR: Christmas fete 1 Jan 1881 DR; Miss Bartley, assistant teacher , leaving 30 May 1885 DR; fete 2 Jan 1886 DR; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #706
- proposed opening of Ladies' School by Miss Sloane 9 Feb 1839 DR;
- Classical & Mercantile school, notice 27 Jun 1840 DR; exams results 23 Dec 1843 DR; exam results 29 Jun 1844 DR; Rev. W. Graham, principal 10 Jan 1846 DR; exam results 1 Jul 1848 DR;
- Diocesan/Parochial School in Saul Street ; (Catholic); the master in 1852 was Rev. Joseph Cooper (POD); exam results 2 Jan 1841 DR; article 3 Nov 1855 DR; article 27 Sep 1862 DR; list of subscribers 12 Nov 1864 DR; fete 21 Sep 1867 DR; excursion 5 Aug 1871 DR; excursion 21 Aug 1880 DR; annual fete 3 Jam 1885 DR;
- Academy; exam results 23 Dec 1796 )NS); exam results 13 Jul 1850 (DR)
- New school proposed in connection with the parish church 12 Nov 1853 DR; bazaar to raise funds for building 22 & 29 Sep 1855 DR; bazaar 13 Nov 1886 DR;
- Ebenezer School- article 20 Nov 1858 DR
- money left by Thomas Henry Esq. for new Practical Agricultural School 11 Dec 1858 DR;
- Workhouse School; appointment of teacher 5, 19, 26 Feb 1859 DR; investigation into mistress Miss Isabella Patterson 13 & 27 Jun 1863 DR; discipline at female school 18 Jul 1863 DR; excursion to Rademon 24 Aug 1872 DR; annual fete 15 Feb 1873 DR ; fete 4 Sep 1875 DR; excursion 26 Aug 1876 DR;death of master Thomas Ferguson 5 Jun 1880 DR;Board of Guardians meeting 14 May 1881 DR; excursion 6 Aug 1881 DR; allegations against late master 1 Apr 1884 DR; excursion 5 Jul 1884 DR;records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #407
- new Parochial (Catholic) school; Convent of Mercy National School; Mt St. Patrick; article 14 Nov 1863 & 23 Jan 1864 DR; report of inspector 13 Aug 1864 DR: list of subscribers 12 Nov 1864 DR; fete 21 Sep 1867 DR; excursion 5 Aug 1871 DR; new school built (20/4/1936R); fete 4 Sep 1875 DR; fete 16 & 23 Sep 1876 DR; inquiry into endowment & management 4 Oct 1879 DR; excursion 6 Aug 1881 DR; excursion 8 Jul 1882 DR; Christmas soiree 6 Jan 1883 DR; records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1262
- opening of new Intermediate High School by Dr. Martin 31 Oct 1874 DR; exam results 1 Jan 1876 DR; girl's department opened 17 May 1879 DR; exam results with names 3 Jul 1880 DR; letters 4 Sep 1880 DR; article 20 Aug 1881 DR;
Down High School; opened Sep 1933 with 100 students; headmaster was Mr W.A. Bell (DR 4/5/1935)
Dromara
3 schools supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 355 students attending (HSSS)
in 1910 the teachers were William Scilley & Miss Lizzie H. Harte (POD) ;records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #740
Dromore

- the national school house was situated south of Regent's bridge and was a neat, stone building 16 feet by 30 feet. It was divided into 3 apartments, a schoolroom at each end and a committee room between them. It was built in 1833 and the cost was defrayed by subscription. Income was from the National Board £ 10, from pupils £24 per year; intellectual & moral education; school visitors were the Arian minister & Catholic priest; no catechism taught; Authorised Scripture lessons taught; 64 pupils, all male; 13 Church of Ireland; 29 Presbyterians; 16 Catholics; 6 other denominations; master was John Fettis a Presbyterian in 1836; sermon for school 23 Nov 1833 (NH); sum received to liquidate debt 18 Jan 1834 (NH); teacher in 1852 was Patrick Austin (POD); records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1285 for Dromore schools (DDPP p55)

- Church Street school; a convenient room in the schoolhouse; income from subscriptions £4, from pupils £13.17.0; intellectual & moral education using Kildare Place Society books; visited by Rev. John Dowdall, catechism heard by the master; Authorised Version of the Scriptures read; 63 pupils , all male; 47 Church of Ireland; 10 Presbyterian; 6 Catholics; master was John Teer a Protestant in 1836

- supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 91 students attending (HSSS); a convenient room in Church Street schoolhouse; established 19th November 1836; income from London Hibernian Society £3, from pupils £ 16 per year; intellectual & moral education; visited by Rev John Evans Lewis & by Rev. John Dowdall; catechisms heard by the master; Authorised Version of the Scriptures reads; 80 pupils, all female; 60 Church of Ireland; 214 Presbyterians; 6 Catholics; mistress was Sarah Berry, Protestant in 1836

- a convenient room in Dromore National schoolhouse; established 1833; income from National Board £6, from pupils £10 per year; intellectual & moral education;visited by the Arian minister & the Catholic priest; Authorised Version of the Scriptures read; no catechisms taught; 66 pupils, all female; 15 church of Ireland; 19 Presbyterians; 20 Catholics; 12 other denominations; mistress was Susana Cherry a Presbyterian in 1836

in 1910, the schools listed were- Church of Ireland (D.G. Loughrey principal); Presbyterian (William Ruddock & James McCaw, princripals); Catholic (Timothy Revel, principal)
Dromore Bragh
Aghaderg parish

a small, slate roofed cottage established 1818; income is from the pupils £10 per year; intellectual & moral education; writing & arithmetic using the Dublin reading & spelling books; the Old & New Testaments of the Bible are supplied by the Kildare Society; the Presbyterian minister Rev Robert Little was the patron& visitor; catechism taught is needed and Scriptures taught every day; 33 males; 29 females; 53 Presbyterians; 9 Catholics; the master was Robert Taylor a Protestant in 1836

Drumadonald
Drumgooland par.
records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #301
Drumaghlis
established by 1865; enrolment in 2006 was 52 & threatened with closure DR 29/3/2006; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #639
Drumaness
Magheradrool parish

- established 1834 at the junction of Castlewellan road with the Ballynahinch and Seaforde road, and paid for by contributions; the ground was given by Mr. Davidson; ; 20 Protestants; 50 Catholics; 50 males; 20 females; supported by Col. Forde for £4 a year on the condition that it not be placed under the National Board, otherwise it will be supported by the scholars in 1836;meeting to elect a master 24 Feb 1838 DR; records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1274

- Mill School; science class results 13 Jul 1872 DR;records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #1048 & #613
Drumaroad in Loughinisland
parish
opened 1 Sep 1854 in the Catholic Church graveyard grounds to replace a hedge school (HCDTD p155, photo of old school p156 & new school 1854 p159);teacher paid 1 penny a week; students brought one sod of turf to keepfire going (MO5/04); a new school opened in 1902; school photo available c. 1933 (MO 5/05); enrolment in 2006 was 37 & threatened with closure DR 29/3/2006; records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #778
Drumawhy
Newtownards parish
a hedge school; the mistress, a Protestant, received 2 shillings per quarter from the pupils;18 males & 12 females in 1836
Drumbo supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 97 students attending (HSSS); erected in 1836 at a cost of £97, paid by subscription; 40 males; 23 females;all Protestants; the master was a Presbyterian in 1836
Drumdreenagh
Drumballyroney parish

a slate roofed house in good repair; established 1820; and patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire; its income is from the London Hibernian Society for £5- £6 per year & from the pupils £14- £20 a year; the master's salary was from £20- £25 per year; intellectual & moral education; 23 males; 32 females; 54 Presbyterians; 1 Catholic; master was John Penney a Seceding Presbyterian ; Sunday school scholars 60 males & 50 females; Sunday school teachers 12 males & 5 females in 1836

Drumfad
Donaghadee parish
a Free Boys School here in 1863-GV
Drumgooland - a Catholic parish school kept by James Irwin in 1835 ; children paid 2 shillings & 2 pence a quarter; 31 males & 5 females (DCPH p 85)
- kept by Hugh Kelly; 67 males & 47 females; children paid 1 penny a week in 1835
-kept by Joshua Moore; 56 males & 30 females; London Hibernian Society paid 1 penny a week per pupil & 9 pence per report in 1835 (DCPH p 85)
Drumhirk
Kilmood parish
62 males & 25 females; all Protestants; established 1818; under the Kildare Street Society but supported by the pupils entirely by 2 shillings per quarter in 1836; a National Schoolin 1863
Drumhirk
Newtownards parish
the house was erected by subscription; 17 males & 11 females; 27 Protestants & 1 Catholic; the master, a Protestant received 1,2 or 3 pennies from the children depending on their success in 1836 ; opening of new National School 30 May 1885 ; presentation to Mary Knox Rankin 3 Jun 1899 (NC);records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #320
Drumlee
Drumgooland parish

a slated, stone cottage in good repair beside Drumlee Meeting House; established 1821; income from London Hibernian Society £9a year, from pupils 1 penny per week; salaries cost £14 per year; intellectual& moral education; visited by Rev.R. Forde, curate; 39 males; 41 females; 72 Protestant & Presbyterians; 8 Catholics; master was Brace Harris, Presbyterian in 1836

Drumlough
records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #753 & Ref #1061
Drumnascamph
Clonduff parish
a Church Education Society school here in 1863 (GV)
Drumnascamph
Tullylish parish
closed in 1836; records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #496
Drumreagh
Killinchy parish
near Ballygowan; Catholic School-GV; new science & art classes 29 Nov 1871 DR; schoolmaster c. 1890 was Mr John Craigan (MSch p14); & in 1910 Miss Scott (POD) records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1272
Drumreagh or Grey Ridge
Kilbroney parish
opened 1910 & closed 1968(DDPP p120)
Dunnaman/ Dunavan
Kilkeel parish
National School; master was Henry Doyle & Mistress was Maria Sloan in 1856; there in 1880; with Master Crane & Master O'Neill; became St.Colman's ; records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1205 & 1206
Dundrum
Kilmegan parish

supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 253 students attending (HSSS); Downshire School; patronised by the Marquis & Marchioness of Downshire; supported by the London Hibernian Society; day school scholars, 22 males & 26 females; Sunday school scholars, 25 males & 37 females; Sunday school teachers,2 males & 4 females in 1836; master & mistress wanted 10 Jun 1848 DR;soiree 29 Sep 1849 DR; soiree by teachers Mr G.A. de Winter & Miss de Winter 7 Feb 1863 DR; annual entertainment 30 Jan 1864 DR; visit by the Marquis 22 Oct 1870 DR; fete 23 Aug 1873 DR; fete 3 Sep 1881 DR; fete 19 Sep 1885 DR; records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #811 & 644

Dundonald National school but originally run by Presbyterian Church; new school built in 1845 to replace older building(TMUOP p128, b/w sketch available) ;meeting re incendiary fires 20 Jan 1849 DR; awards 10 Feb 1849 DR; the teacher in 1852 was W. Gowdy ( POD ;)in 1871, there were 169 students; principal in 1902 was William Weir & teacher Miss Waterworth (POD); records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #127; LDS film #247469 1876- 1895
in Church Quarter; Church of Ireland school built by David Gordon in 1835 to rival the Presbyterian school (TMUOP p127); closed 1870
Duneight
Blaris parish

established 1820; the income from pupils is £10 per year; intellectual & moral education; books from Kildare Society; visited by Very Rev. James Stannus, Dean of Ross, the Rev Ralph Bridge & Rev. Alexander Henderson, Presbyterian clergy; catechism daily; Authorised Version of Scriptures read; 20 males; 14 females; all Presbyterians; master was Edward Cairns, Church of Ireland in 1836

Dunover
Ballywalter parish
records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #408
Dunsford 1st & 2nd- connected to the National Board of Education; attendance varies with the season; taught reading, writing & arithmetic in 1836; list of subscribers 27 Feb 1886 DR; St. Mary's, enrolment in 2006 was 75 & threatened with closure DR 29/3/2006
3rd- there was an excellent school in the parish in 1786 in which boys were taught the Latin & Greek languages & instructed in higher mathematics but a classical education was on the decline in 1836
Echlinville
Ballyhalbert parish
a National School; erected in 1834 at the expense of John Echlin Esq.; it cost£108; the Kildare Street Society supplies the books; the master was a Catholic; he received 2 shillings, 1 penny, 3 shilling & 4 pence and 7 shillings a quarter from the children; 29 males; 22 females; 9 Protestants; 20 Catholics in 1836
Edenmore
Magheralin parish

established 1804; its income was from pupils £18 per year; intellectual & moral education; books by London Hibernian Society; visitor Rev Ansley Hughes; catechisms on Saturdays; Authorised Version of Scripture read;46 males; 26 females; 66 Protestants; 6 Catholics; master was Thomas Luttan, Church of England in 1836

Edentrillick
Dromore parish

held in part of a cottage; established in 1825; income from Mr. John Scott £1, from pupils £10;under the Kildare Place Society & the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire;intellectual & moral education; visited by minister of Drumlough meeting house; catechisms taught by the master; Authorised Version of the Scriptures read; day school scholars, 24 males & 14 females; 6 Protestants; 49 Presbyterians ; the master was Andrew Hewitt, a Presbyterian; Sunday school scholars 13 males & 12 females; Sunday school teachers 2 males & 1 female in 1836

Edenticullo / Ednaculla
Hillsborough parish

a small, plain stone and brick cottage with a slate roof. Its dimensions were 25 feet by 18 feet. Built in April 1837 at a cost of £27 which was raised by subscriptions and a donation of £10 from the Marquis of Downshire. It is scarcely furnishes but it is supported that £3 will complete it; under the London Hibernian Society and patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire; day school scholars, 32 males & 21 females; Sunday school scholars 35 males & 32 females; Sunday school teachers 2 males & 2 females in 1836

Edenagarry
Drumballyroney P.
records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #765
Emdell Junior
drumballyroney P.
records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #770
Fedany
Garvaghy parish

this is the parish school; it was a slate roofed cottage, 50 metres S of the parish church; established around 1765; its income was from London Hibernian Society £5 and £12 from the pupils each year; intellectual& moral education; visited by the clergy; catechisms optional;131 males; 94 females; 38 Protestants; 182 Presbyterians; 5 Catholics; master was James McKeown a Presbyterian in 1836

Ferryquarter
Ballyculter parish

it was an extremely large house which used to be a charter school; it was erected in 1830 at a cost of £4,000 (from which sum it may be concluded the house is of a rather considerable size); the charter school was taken from it in 1830;with very little expense it could be turned into a military or constabulary barracks; at present Rev. Samuel Livingston A.M., who keeps a school for day scholars, occupies a portion of the house; the scholars are learning Latin, Greek & French; £1.1.0 per quarter per scholar; also taught are mathematics, geography, use of globes, arithmetic, writing, elocution for an extra 15 shillings; 20 boys; 15 girls; 17 Protestant; 18 Catholic; there are 2 boy boarders and 2 girls who pay £21 a year each in 1836 (Inv 2003 p11-16, photo)

Finnis
Dromara parish
opened 1844 ; the teacher in 1910 was Patrick Bradley but Emma L. Byrne as manual instructress (POD)demolished 1980; St. Michael's replaced it. (DDPP p75)
Flatfield
Moira parish
in Ballyknock townland; supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1817 with 148 students attending (HSSS)
Fofanny
Kilcoo parish

built in 1822 by Lord Roden; in 1840 average attendance of 30 children at the day school & a night school for weavers & labourers; also known as Conollan as most of the teachers had that name (KPCB p16)

Fortescue
Donaghcloney parish

a cottage;income is a subscription of £5 & from the pupils £10 per year; intellectual & moral education;under the Kildare Place Society & the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire; day school scholars, 36 males & 24 females;2 Protestants; 17 Presbyterians ; 1 Catholic;Sunday school scholars 34 males & 26 females; Sunday school teachers 3 males & 3 females; school visitor was Rev. John Johnston of Tullylish parish; catechisms were taught on Saturdays by the master who was John Calvert a Presbyterian in 1836; records in PRONI film #1701993 Ref #204

Four Roads
Kilmegan parish

25 Protestants; 114 Catholics; 93 males; 46 females; supported by the National Board of Education; the pupils paid 1 penny a week in 1836

Four Towns
Donaghmore parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 106 students attending (HSSS)
in Killysavan townland ; attempts to open a school here in 1819 but finally opened in 1837 ; teachers were.... Bell, 1837 ; Alexander Cummins, 1846 ; Miss Annie Henderson, 1872 became Mrs. Jenkins) ; Miss M. Helena Cutler, 1890 ; Miss Mary E. Malcomson, 1894; Miss Susan Cunningham, 1898; Mrs. Joseph Wylie (re-appointed), 1908; Miss Minnie Young Oct 1910 (AIPD p42); records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #572
Garvaghy

the parish school; 50 metres south of the church; a slate roofed cottage; established 1760; income was from London Hibernian Society of £5, with £12 from the pupils; intellectual & moral education; visited by the vicar; catechisms taught but optional; Authorised Version of Scripture read; 131 males; 94 females; 28 Protestants; 182 Presbyterians; 5 Catholics; master was James McKeown, a Presbyterian in 1836 ; finally closed Dec 1969 (ARF) records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #850

Garvaghy in 1843 there were 6 Sunday Schools with an enrolment of 245 children & 8 day schools (one funded by Association for Discounting Vice & 3 funded by London Hibernian Society - total enrolment 300 boys & 233 girls (ARF)
Gilford
Tullylish parish


supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 80 students attending (HSSS)
on Whinney Hill; master in 1824 was Arthur Geoghegan whose salary was £19.10 a year; (DDPP p140) records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1300
Infants School records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1301
Mill School; built in 1846 by Dunbar McMaster & Co; called the Row School in Dunbarton Street; supported by Dunbar, McMaster & the National Board of Education; photo available (OGSLL p18); records in PRONI film #1701994 Ref #325
  in 1910 the schools were Dunbarton (W. Manwell, Miss McFall, Miss K.W. Hunter, Miss S. Muldrew & Miss Brown); Gilford (Mr Haddon, Mrs Wells & Miss Manwell); Castle Hill (Mr & Mrs Boyle & Miss Boyle)POD
Gilnahirk
Knockbreda parish
they used the old session house as a school in 1833 but was replaced by Tullycarnet School in 1839; a Public Elementary School for 150 students was built in 1939 (ACG p43, 44 ,49,51)
Glaskerbeg
Aghaderg parish
Daniel McConvill was principal teacher here c. 1848-1866 (MIs); rebuilt 1861 & closed 1976 9DDPP p150) ;records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #574
Glaskermore
Aghaderg parish
records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #763
Glassdrummond
Magheradrool parish

established 1824;taught by W. Skleey; 49 Protestants; 28 Catholics; 43 males; 33 females; supported by the London Hibernian Society; taught by W. Skelly in 1836; records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1185

Glastry
Inishargy parish
a hedge school in 1834; the mistress was a Presbyterian & received 1 penny a week from the children; 16 males & 4 females; 13 Protestants& 3 Catholics in 1836
Glastry House a Select School in Kircubbin; notice 2 Feb 1856 DR;
Glenloughan
Kilkeel parish
a Free School in 1863- GV; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #721
Glenvale supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1817 with 140 students attending (HSSS)
Grange
Kilkeel parish
records in PRONI film #1736304 Ref #1228
Grangee
Donaghadee parish
there in 1863 (GV); records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #697
Gransha
Bangor parish
20 males; 16 females; all Protestants; supervised by the London Hibernian Society & from Mr. Maxwell of Finnebrogue House for £5 a year & contributions of pupils who pay from 2 shillings to 2 shillings & 6 pence per quarter in 1836
Gransha
Comber parish
35 males; 8 females; all Protestants; supported in part by the scholars and £6 a year from the London Hibernian Society; established 1823; taught by J. Cosgrove in 1836
Gransha
Dromara parish
land granted by Trevor family for building of school in 1827 (TEP); now closed (ARF)
Gransha
Newry parish

a cabin; closed for want of a master; usually supported by London Hibernian Society; 28 males& 27 females in 1836

Greengraves
Newtownards parish
a National School in 1863-GV
Grey Abbey near the Church of Ireland; formerly supported by the Kildare Street Society; the master,a Protestant, received £8 a year and a house from Mrs. Montgomery; 1-2 pennies a week from the scholars; 44 males; 10 females; 52 Protestants; 2 Catholics; there was a room at the west end for infants in 1836; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #700
  in 1910 the National School's senior dept's teacher was Marshall Hill & Infant's Dept. was Miss Paterson (POD)
Groomsport
Bangor parish
National school; games & entertainment 4 Oct 1884 DR; day out at Groomsport House 4 Oct 1884 ; new school opened 27 Jul 1895 (NC); the principal in 1910 was Mr Burns with 2 assistants (POD) ; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #704
Grovefield
LDS film#247465 1885- 1926
Guiness in Magherhamlet / Dromara parish on the site of an old Mass Rock; built 1848 under National System; one room with 34 students; 1st teacher was John Fishbourne from Lisburn; Miss Mary Harvey principal 1909-1911 (HMP) ;enrolment of 32 in 2006 & threatened with closure (DR29/3/2006) ; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #716; click here for a photo
Harding
Memorial School; see under Willowfield
Herdstown
Donaghadee parish

a National School in 1963-GV

Hillhall
Drumbo parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 131 students attending (HSSS)

under the LSB (London Scriptural Board) and patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire;day school scholars, 43 males & 25 females; Sunday school scholars 17 males & 11 females; Sunday school teachers 2 males & 1 female in 1836

situated on the road from Belfast to Lisburn via Purdsyburn; 79 males; 57 females; 124 Protestants; 12 Catholics; receives £ 20 a year from Erasmus Smith's Board & a gratuity of £2 a year depends upon the improvement of the school; scholars paid 2 shillings& 6 pence a quarter if able; established 1814 by Lord Downshire; the teacher, Mr. Nesbitt was endowed with one acre of land and a house in 1836
Hillsborough supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 162 students attending (HSSS)

under the Kildare Place Society & the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire; day school scholars are 42 males and 70 females in 1836; Hillsborough School records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #808 & 809

Male school; a neat house to the west of the entrance to the parish church in Main Street; established 1733; income was Lord Downshire £15 per year &supported by subscription of £ 20 per year and a payment of 2 pennies per week from the scholars amounting to £10 more; books provided by the Kildare Street Society; the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire;intellectual and moral education; visited by clergy of the Church of Ireland; catechisms not taught; Authorised version of Scriptures read;built by the grandfather of the present Lord Downshire; master was Francis Ford, a Protestant whose salary was £30 a year; dimensions 60 feet by 14 feet; would hold 120 pupils; 76 Protestants; 6 Presbyterians ;8 Catholics; 84 males; males only; Sunday school scholars are 39 males & 71 females; Sunday school teachers 6 males & 8 females in 1836; the master in 1852 was James McCarthy with Susan Yeates & Maria Asherhurst as mistresses (POD); photo available (ODHD p29)

Female School; a neat house on the east side of the parish churchin Main Street; 70 Protestants; 15 Presbyterians; 10 Catholics; 80 females; females only; supported by the Marchioness of Downshire for £7 a year; £15 per year from Mrs. Reilly, to whom the scholars pay from 4 pence to 10 pence per month; in addition to the £15 for every 10 scholars above 40, £3 more & £5 yearly to an assistant; established in 1773; under the Kildare Place Society & the patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire; intellectual & moral education; visited by clergy of the Church of Ireland; catechisms not taught; Authorised version of Scriptures read; mistress was Rebecca Reid, a Protestant in 1836;(ODHD p29)

there were 4 other private schools; the teacher of the male school were Mr. Crany & Mrs. Nelson. The teachers at the 2 female schools were Mrs. Minnis & Mrs. Page in 1836

-the Downshire School in Ballynahinch Street opened in 1887;photo available (ODHD p35)
  in 1910 schools listed were St. James National School (principal Thomas G. Ingram); St. John's National School (principal T. Robinson) ; National School (G. McCready teacher) ; Downshire School (teachersEdward Mitchell & Miss Bradshaw)POD
Hilltown
Clonduff parish

supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 100 students attending (HSSS); under the London Hibernian Society and patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire; day school scholars, 22 males & 26 females; Sunday school scholars 25 males & 30 females; Sunday school teachers 6 males & 4 females in 1836; records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #1063

Hollymount
Down parish

- supported entirely by Lady Harriette Forde;established 1822; 79 pupils, all males; 40 Protestants , 39 Catholics in 1836; exams 23 Sep 1837 DR; article 27 Jun 1840 DR; article 24 Jul 1841 DR; article 27 Sep 1856 DR; exams 13 Aug 1859 DR; presentation by children to Lady Harriet Forde 12 May 1860 DR; article 11 Aug 1860 DR; annual feast 13 Aug 1864 DR; Christmas treat 6 Jan 1883 DR; summer treat 8 Aug 1885 DR; fete 9 Jan 1886 DR;records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #729

- supported by Lady Harriette Forde; 78 pupils, all female; 40 Protestants, 38 Catholics; DR articles apply here too; records in PRONI film #1701995 Ref #729

Holywood School records in PRONI; Sullivan/St Patricks film #1701993 Ref #100; Parochial film #17701996 Ref #928; LDS film#247431
in 1836- in Bank Lane, Church View, near the Catholic chapel; established in 1832; the ground was given by Mr. J. Patten; the building cost £200, £50 of which was a grant from the Lord Lieutenant and the remainder by the contribution of the gentry; 65 males; 65 females; 114 Protestants; 16 Catholics; supported by annual subscription of the gentry and a small payment from the scholars; the poor were attended to for one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening; taught by Mr. Wylie in 1836; a national School in 1863- GV
- also in Bank Lane on the second storey; established 1821 but placed under the female branch of the London Hibernian Society 1834 for support of £5 a year and by the male branch for £5 a year; also from one penny a week from each scholar; 26 females; 25 Protestants; 1 Catholic; taught by Susan Hanna in 1836
- attached to the Presbyterian meeting house; 25 males; 14 females; 37 Protestants; 2 Catholics; supported by the scholars by 3-4 shillings per quarter & £2 a year from the Synod; established 1832; taught by Mr. Riddle, a Presbyterian in 1836
- in Mill Street; 10 males & 25 females; 25 Protestants; 10 Catholics; supported by the scholars; established 1818 for children under 6 years of age; taught by Miss Blair in 1836
- A Model Farm school established c. 1840; the first in Co. Down
- in Church Street in 1863 -GV; National School; Dr Sullivan's- article 3 May 1862 DR; William P. Steen headmaster of Sullivan Upper School 1880-1886 (MIs)
in 1910 schools were described as Sullivan Upper Intermediate School (principal Adam Speers); Sullivan National School (principal Mr Black), Infants School Miss Scott & female principal Miss Gardner); Catholic School , male principal W.N. Gibson & female principal Miss E. Greer); Catholic National School (principal Charles Sweeney & assistant Miss Annie O'Neill); Select Schools, Church Road- Miss Bosworthwick & Misses Robinson & Martello Terrace, Mrs Hodge
School records in PRONI for St. Patrick's in Strand Street film #1701993 Ref #100 & Sullivan Primary ref #41; LDS film#247462 1869-1873
Islandmoyle in Clonduff parish there were 2 hedge schools here c. 1810; one in Patrick Brannigan's barn & the other in Tommy Doran's barn with the teacher Peggie Shields who lodged with each of the students in turn (TC p24)
Inch built 1836/1837 (LM 1997 p42); National School; entertainment 17 Jan 1885 DR; summer treat 8 Aug 1885 DR; the principal in 1910 was J.J.Rea (POD) entertainment to raise money for improving the teacher's residence 19/3/1914 DR *; records in PRONI film #1701996 Ref #979
Islandderry
Dromore parish
supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1817 with 40 students attending (HSSS); here in 1836 ( OSM)

 

click here to see schools in parish order & photos available