In 1836, the original school was under the National
Board of Education and patronage of the Marquis and Marchioness of Downshire.
Its enrolment was - day school scholars (48 males & 30 females);
Sunday school scholars (15 males & 24 females) with 5 male&
4 female Sunday school teachers.
7 Apr 1855 (Down Recorder) At a meeting of the
Catholic Parishioners of Tyrella and Ballykinlar held in the Parish
Chapel on the 25th March 1855, the Rev. Patrick Curoe P.P. in the chair,
rhe subjoined Resolution and address were adopted. Moved by Mr. P. Murray
and seconded by Mr. P . Curoe that Mr. W. Russell Graharn be requested
to act as Secretary. It was further moved by Mr. John W. Hanna, seconded
by Mr. William Magorrian, "That the grateful thanks of the Parish
are due to Mr. McGrath of Waterloo, Liverpool, for having built and
endowed at his own expense the new Parochial School and for contributing
so munificently towards the erection of a new Church and that the following
address be signed by our chairman and secretary on the part of the parishioners
and be presented to Mr. McGrath.
The Endowed School, as it was originally called, was a handsome building
in the Gothic style - and a unique country school, at a time when many
rural schools were little better than cowsheds. It had an open bell-turret
and was built on a little hill near Carricknab Four Roads. The Boys'
school and Girls' school were finally amalgamated in the 1930's. Mr.
McGrath's contribution to its erection was in excess of 2 thousand pounds.
A princely sum in those hard times. For the next hundred years first
as a National School, then after 1920, a public Elementary School, it
served the educational needs of Ballykinlar. In 1942 there was a bell
tower in the centre of the roofI. t was finally replaced by the modern
St. Joseph's School which was built in 1963 close to the church of St.
Patrick and St. Joseph. The late Rev. Matthew Dillon C.C. had the old
school building renovated and improved and it now has a new life and
function as a Parish Recreation Hall. There used to be a porch at either
end. The piece with the flat roof was added in the 1970s when it was
turned into a Parochial hall.
The school registers, roll books, etc are preserved in the Public Record
Office, Balmoral Avenue, Belfast (LM 1997 p83,
Newspaper Articles from Down Recorder;
notice (see above) 7 Apr 1855 DR; concert
3 Feb 1883 DR; concert 9 Jan 1886 DR