Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Seapatrick graveyard
Ros Davies'
Co. Down, Northern Ireland Family History Research Site

© Rosalind Davies 2001
Permission granted to reprint research for non-profit use only
Silent Valley

Place Names of Co. Down: S....

Sa.......Sc.......Se.......Sh.......Si.......Sk.......Sl.......Sm- So Sp.......
Squ.......St.......Su.......Sw.......Sy...........

Place Names Parish Map Ref Information
St Albans Arms Ardglass . in Kildare St, Ardglass; previously called Castle Shane Hotel ; proprietor in 1910 was Carl Mylins ; photo available
POD; LM 1991 p55-57
St. Andrews Ballyhalbert . ancient name for Ballyhalbert parish; the Priory was named after St.Andrew de Stokes in Somerset; also known as Black Abbey
O'L V1 p 431; PNNI V2 p 99
St. Anne Iron Works Knockbreda in Albertbridge Rd, Belfast; owned by Musgrave & Co. Ltd in 1902 POD
St Annes Terrace Clonduff 29: 25/33 farm, 2km W of Kilcoo on the Rathfriland road
St. Ban Kilkeel . mountain in The Mournes; 1km N of Carlingford Lough; between Warrenpoint & Greencastle
NWAG p 37 map
St Bridgets Cottage Kilcoo 29: 36/33 2km NW of Newcastle
St. Bronagh Kilbroney . in Rostrevor ; residence of Mrs Hanley in 1910
POD
St Clair
Saint Clare
Holywood house & 2 acres in Ballykeel townland,1km E of Holywood town; leased by James Alexander in 1863 from Rev. Henry Henderson ; residence of James Alexander Esq. J.P. ; death notice 11 Feb in 1882 old b/w map T5; GV; DR
St. Colmans Well Dromore just outside Dromore near Bishops residence; site of St. Colman's monastery 841-1159 DDPP p47
St. Columba House Knockbreda
.
in Kings Rd, Knock ; residence of Edward Bates in 1902
POD
St Cooeys Well Bright 21: 53/34 an ancient healing well and graveyard on the Irish Sea coast just near St Johns Point; click here for a photo
Inv 2002 p 27 , 30
St. Cooeys Wells Witter . at Templecowey an ancient monastic site in Upper Grange townland Inv 2002 p 30; PNNI V2 p 139
St. Dillon's Well Down near old racecource; also called St. Aingeal's (holy angels); site of an ancient hospital; mentioned in article 9 Feb 1867 DR; O'L V1 p 253
Saintfield Saintfield 21: 40/59 a town and a parish; 13km S of Belfast; click here for a photo of the town and more information; click here to see its location on a townland map .
Saintfield Cottage Saintfield . residence of John Orr in 1910
POD
Saintfield House & Park Saintfield estate & house of 236 acres; built by Francis Price c. 1742 & rebuilt 1752; Saintfield estate agent dies 20 May 1837; residence of James C. Blackwood in 1842 & William Blackwood Esq. in 1846; reduction in estate rents 31 Oct 1846: death of Nicholas Price Esq. of Saintfield House 5 Jun 1847; residence of James Price in 1852; harvest home 9 Oct 1858; address to James C. Price Esq, High Sherif of Down,by tenantry of estate 31 Dec 1869; school fete held here 19 Jul 1873; residence of C. James Price J.P. in 1892 & Major M. Blackwood Price in 1910; click here to see its location on a townland map
SHM '90 p 12V 7 p 115, 120 OSM; BU 30/9/1842; DR ; POD; SHM '94 p62 & '86 p 32; WAS p5; LR 2012 p93
St. Filans Holywood . in 41 Palmerston Rd, Sydenham; residence of John McBride in 1902
POD
St. Georges Villa Holywood . 106 Holywood Rd, Strandtown; vacant residence in 1902
POD
St. Helen's Beach Bright . near Killough town KCL p 37
St Helen's Terrace Knockbreda row of 12 houses in Albertbridge Rd, Belfast in 1902 POD
St. John's Carrow Ballyphilip . ancient quarter of Ballyphilip O'L V1 p 397
Saint Johns Point Bright 21: 53/34 a townland on southern most tip in Lecale district, northern most point of Dundrum Bay; 290 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; site of an ancient holy well & ancient church & graveyard (St. John's) which was attached to Inch Abbey; acquired by Sir Robert Ward in 1670 then sold to James Cummins; proprietor Lord Bangor in 1836 but sublet by Captain Brown ;plea for a lighthouse 14 Nov 1835; need for lighthouse 21 Jan 1837; lighthouse built 1844; photo available; shipwreck of the “Seabird’ 17 Jun 1854; William Watson retiring as lighthouse keeper 13 Nov 1858; notice to mariners 18 Feb 1860; lifeboats send to aeroplane which nosedived near here 9 Nov 1935; photo of lighthouse available O'L V1 p 155, 157, 325 & B p 141, 322; V17 p 35, 36 OSM: NH; DR LR 2006 p4; LWAG p 76: HMNI p96; DR*; LR 2005 p25 ; LM 1993 cover, p51
St. John's Point House Bright . residence of Capt. P.R. Montague Browne before 1864 ; photo available
LM 2002 p 33
St. Johns Terrace Clonduff 29: 25/34 farm; 2km W of Kilcoo on the Rathfriland road  

St. Johnston
St. Johnsone
St. Johnstown

Castleboy . an ancient townland & village; alternate name for Castleboy; part of the Manor of Cloghy;originally held by Knighyts Hospitallers; remains of 15th century tower house here; proprietor in 1836 was Francis Prince, seneschal
V7 p10 & V17 p122 OSM; O'L V1 p 416; PNNI V2 p 75; LR 2005 p18
St Josephs Place Ballee 21: 53/42 farm, near Ballycruttle townland
St Josephs Square Ballee 21: 52/44 farm, 4km E of Downpatrick;
St. Knoth Down area . an ancient chapel founded by St. Malachy c. 1158
O'L V1 p 258
St.Leonards
Kilcoo
.
group of houses in Newcastle; residence of Robert Dods, Mrs Stranaghan & at #4 Misses Medcraft in 1910 & Mrs Chayter in 1922
POD; PTTF p7
St. Leonards on the Sea Warrenpoint . house & 1 acre garden in Ringmacilroy townland ; owned by Leonard Watson in 1863 but unoccupied; residence of Thomas Carey Esq. in 1881 & A.W.Walker in 1886
GV; POD
St Marys terrace Clonduff 29: 25/43 farm, in Ballykeel townland on the Kilcoo/Hilltown road
St Michaels Park Dunsfort 21: 57/40 farm, 3km NE of Ardglass
St.Nicholas Ballyphilip . ancient name for parish church in Portaferry
O'L V1 p 397
St. Patricks Rocks Kilclief 21: 61/43 rocks; in Irish Sea off Killard Point
LM 2002 p 8 
St. Patrick's Stone & Chair Garvaghy . an ancient standing stone & cupped rock, east of Killaney House; an ancient graveyard nearby PNNI V6 p 201
St.Patrick's Well Donaghadee
15:60/78
near Templepatrick townland; on the coast; 2km S of Donaghadee town; site of old graveyard PNNI V2 p 196
St. Patrick's Well Dunsford . in Sheepland townland; an ancient holy well O'L V1 p 180
St. Patrick's Well Saul . also known as Streuel Wells; 3km SE of Downpatrick old b/w map P15
St. Patricks Well Seapatrick on the river Bann near Seapatrick Parish Church graveyard ; St Patrick watered his horse here BIH p 11
St Pious Hill Kilkeel 29: 34/18 2km N of Ballymartin village
St. Ronan's Well Magheralin . in Ballymakeonan townland; site of an ancient church PNNI V6 p 217
St. Ruans Kilkeel . in Kilkeel; residence of H.A. Matier . in 1910 POD
St. Scordon's Well Bright . near coastguard station; supplied the town of Killough with water for many years KCL p 15
St. Tassach's Saul . an ancient church; click here for a photo .
St. Valentine's Holywood . residence of H.L. Garrett in 1910 POD
Salem Cottage Knockbreda
.
in Knock Rd, Knock near Sandown Road ; residence of Mrs Waugh in 1902
POD
Sallybrook Kilbroney . house & farm of 10 acres in Drumsesk townland ; leased by Robert Fivey in 1863 from rep.Edward McCarten
GV
Sally's Hill Magheralin . 443 ft; in Gregorlough townland PNNI V6 p 242
Sally's Well Ballyculter . in the grounds of Old Court; also called Sarah's Well Inv 2002 p 43
Salt Island Saul 21: 53/50 large island in Strangford Lough, 2km SE of Killyleagh; 51 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Lord Bangor in 1836 ;clay soil; one hill that is 54 feet above sea level; no houses in 1836 V17 p 111, 114 OSM
Salt Lough Saul .
in Lisbane townland near the Quoile River
O'L V1 p 231
Salt Marsh Islands Comber caora.com
Salt Rock Grey Abbey shipping casualty brigantine 'Slyboots' 14 Nov 1885 DR
Saltwater Bridge Ardkeen 21: 60/59 4km S of Kircubbin; click here for a photo of the pub
PNNI V2 p 25 
Saltwater Bridge Down/ Saul . on the Downpatrick to Killyleagh road; site of the only surviving tide-mill in Co. Down; owned by J.W. Maxwell of Finnabrogue in 1820; photo available LWAG p 21
Salt Water Mills Saul residence of William Gibson in 1789 & the Newell family in 1815 PR; MID p 161
Sampsons Stone Down . a ruined dolmen/ cromlech near St. Dillons Well
O'L V1 p 252
Sandeel Bay Bangor
15:56/84
2km E of Groomsport on Belfast Lough
BM
Sandgate Kilcoo . house & garden in Shore Rd, Newcastle; leased by Catherine Alice in 1863 from Thomas Ferguson GV
Sandhurst Knockbreda
.
in Kings Rd, near Knock Road ; residence of W.M. Carson in 1902
POD
Sand Island Inishargy 21: 57/61 in Strangford Lough, 2km W of Kircubbin  .
Sandon Villas Knockbreda
.
2 houses in Barnetts Rd, Knock in 1902
POD
Sandy Bay Bangor
15:57/82
In Irish Sea; near Portavoe House
.
Sandy Hall Kilkeel 29: 26/12 farm near Greencastle; 5km SW of Kilkeel  .
Sandy Island Dunsfort caora.com
Sandyland Ballyhalbert
residence of William McKee in 1890
MIs
Sandymount House Holywood . in Holywood Rd, Strandtown ; residence of Robert Montgomery in 1852 & A. Blakely in 1902 POD
Sandymount Lambeg 20: 28/66 farm; in Tullynacross townland  .
Sandy Port Bright 21: 52/34 a bay near St Johns Point
SSM p xi map 
Sandy Row Bangor . row of houses overlooking Bangor Bay; renamed Queens Parade in 1903;photo available
POD; Bangor p8; OS map 1902
Sangsters Hotel
Kilbroney . in Rostrevor; an architectural heritagebuilding 'at risk' in 2000 but demolished by 2005
LR 2005 p76
Santiago Villas Seapatrick in Banbridge ; residence of E. Stevenson in 1910 POD
Sarahfield Holywood . house & farm of 10 acres in Ballydavey townland; 4km NE of Holywood town; leased by Sarah McDowell in 1863 from rep. Robert S. Kennedy old b/w map U5; GV
Sarah's Well Ballyculter . in the grounds of Old Court; also called Sally's Well Inv 2002 p 43
Saugh Yard Dromore . just S of Dromore town; near Presbyterian Church old b/w map I 6
Saul Saul 21: 51/47 a parish & a townland of 488 acres; 3km NE of Downpatrick ; means 'barn' ; click here to see its location on a townland map; click here for an old photo and more information .
Saul Abbey
Saul . founded by St. Patrick; refounded as an Augustine Abbey in 12th century; under attack in 14th century ; in ruins by 1744 with some still visible in Saul graveyard
MO 5/04; LR 2005 p26
Saul Cottage Saul . residence of Mr. Moore in 1874 LM 1984 p29
Saul Quarter Down a townland 1km E of Downpatrick; 90 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to John Treanor Esq.; owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford; proprietor Lady H. Savage married to Colonel Forde in 1836; there were 6 houses; 3 families employed in agriculture & 1 in trade; 15 males & 15 females; 1 manufacturer LM 1985 p52 V17 p 53, 57 OSM
Savage Arms Inn
Down . in Irish/ Scotch St,Downpatrick; the propirietor in 1824 was Mary Denvir
POD; LM 1999 p42
Savages Castle
Ballyphilip . original name for Portaferry Castle; named after Savage family
LR 2005 p18
Savages Castle
Loughinisland . in Drumaroad townland; c. 12th century
MO 5/04
Savages Fort
Kilmegan 29: 38/39 ancient rath; overlooks Moneycarragh river
Savalbeg Newry a townland 5km NE of Newry town; 365 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' small barn'; in 1659 census all residents were Irish; proprietor Lord Kilmorey in 1836 with James Parker Esq & Major Offley major lessees;other farms let at 30-40 shillings an acre; undulating surface with fertile soil; crops were wheat, oats, barley & potatoes; mainly Catholic residents in 1836; Druid altars/stone cairn; V3 p 112 OSM; PNNI V1 p 34, 37
Savalbregach Saul . in Ballysugagh townland; site of an ancinet graveyard O'L V1 p 240
Savalmore Newry a townland 6km NE of Newry town; 364 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map;means large barn'; originally belonged to the Bagenal Estate in 1575; proprietors were Isaac Glenny of Glenvale, James Parker of Mount Cairney in 1836; rents from 26- 42 shillings an acre;undulating surface with excellent soil; crops were wheat, oats, barley & potatoes; corn mill & flax mill; a pair of ancient standing stones & prehistoric tombs here; private graveyard of Gordon family of Maryvale; email me for a look-up V3 p 78, 112 OSM; UHF v21; PNNI V1 p 34; IPP p 109
Saw Hill Kilkeel . near Annalong; residence of William J. Magill c. 1930 MO 11/12/1964 p2*
Saw Pit Brae Kilmore . a hill near Crossgar Station DR* 21/2/1925
Saxonia Holywood . in Holywood Rd, Holywood; residence of M. Blackwood in 1902 POD
Scaddy Inch 21: 49/50 farm; 4km SW of Killyleagh in Turminan townland ; residence of Matthew Parkinson in c. 1800 & the McAnally family 1893 LR 2010 p76; MID p145
Scadden Saul . a house cluster in Russell's Quarter South in Ringbane townland; residence of Hugh maglennon in 1799 PE ; PR
Scadden House Saul farm; 3km NE of Saul village in Russells Quarter South/Ballintogher; now 15 Myra Road; serious agrarian outrage 17 May 1856; residence of Torney family c. 1863 & Alexander McMullan in 1901; click here for a photo old b/w map Q14; Irish World NY; DR
Scady Rocks Inishargy caora.com
Scallion Hill Garvaghy 20: 24/45 farms; in SW foothills of Dromara Hills
Scardan Hill Kilkeel 29: 31/21 on the slopes of The Mournes, 7km W of Annalong, waterfall
PNNI V3 p 150 
Scarva
Scarvagh
Scarbha
Aghaderg 20: 6/44 also called or Cloncknaverly in ancient times ;a town; 5km SW of Banbridge & a townland of 680 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' shallow place, rough ford'; at the edge of 'the great bog'; click here for a photo and more information .
Scarva House Aghaderg 20: 7/43 farm estate in Scarva townland ; 4km W of Loughbrickland town;click here for a photo and more information .
Scarvagh Aghaderg  . or Scarva or Cloncknaverly or Scarbha ; see above V12 p 3 OSM
Scatricke Annaclone . old spelling for Skateridge on Subsidy Roll of 1663
PNNI V6 p 76
Scatterick Island Ardkeen  . see Sketrick Island
Schoolhill Saintfield farm; in Tonaghmore townland; 3km SW of Saintfield on the Ballynahinch road; rersidence of John Patterson in 1910
POD
Scion Hill Garvaghy 20: 24/50 farmhouse in in Tullynisky townland, near an ancient rath; 4km W of Dromara; residence of Hugh Waugh Esq. in 1858
PNNI V6 p 209; MIs
Scollogs Hill Bright 21: 47/38 hill ;overlooking Dundrum Bay, 6km SSW of Downpatrick
Scollogstown
Scollockstown
Bright 21: 47/38 a clachan (house cluster) 6km S of Downpatrick near Rathmullan ; rock quarry & village; 9 families here in 1834; the Scollockstown Players at St. Patrick's Amateur night 3 Jan 1936 V17 p 37 OSM; LR 2007 p13 ; DR*; LR 2007 p7, 13
Scoot Hill Drumbo 20:34/68 2km S of Newtownbreda
Scordon's Well Bright . near coastguard station; supplied the town of Killough with water for many years KCL p 15
Scotchman (The) Killyleagh 21: 51/50 a rocky point in Strangford Lough, 2km S of Killyleagh
Scotchmans Rock Ballyculter 21: 59/49 just SE of Strangford Town
Scotch Rock Drumgooland 20: 27/42 farm; on Slievenaboley Mountain
Scotch Row Knockbreda . group of houses; just E of Ballymacarret
V7 p 98 OSM
Scott's Hill Donaghadee 15:59/80 on wstern side of Donaghadee town; overlooks Irish Sea .
Scout Hill Drumbo 20: 32/64 2km S of Drumbo village  .
Scrabo Newtownards 21: 47/73 a townland of 316 acres & an isolated sandstone hill & Martello Tower ;2km SW of Newtownards, overlooking Strangford lough; 534 feet high; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' thinly covered rock'; click here for a photo of the tower and more information
.
Scrabo Isles Newtownards . house & farm of 38 acres in Ballycullen townland, ; 1km W of Newtownards town; leaed by Eliza Montgomery in 1863 from Marquis of Londonderry old b/w map T 7;GV
Scrabo View Knockbreda . farm near Meahargs Hill q12/25 cbsa
Scrib Loughinisland 20: 37/44 a townland 3km NW of Seaforde; 525acres; ;click here to see its location on a map; in 1659 there were 0 English/Scots & 10 Catholic families here; the population in 1841 was 312 & in 1851 211 & in 1861 141 people; linen & cotton manufacture: land sale J. Smyth 3 Feb 1844; poem about ' Vale of Scrib' 23 Sep 1876 V17 p 97 OSM; HCDTD p38,40; DR
Scrog (The) Tullylish . hill of 70m in Drumaran townland
PNNI V6 p 339, 353
Scroggy Hill Drumgooland 29: 28/39 in Ballydrumman townland; 2km NE of Ballyward  .
Scroggy Hill Killinchy 21: 45/61 hill; in Drumreagh townland
Seabreeze Bangor
.
villa in Ballyholme ; residence of Mrs Warnock in 1901
POD
Seabreeze Inishargy . in Kircubbin; residence of Mrs Scott in 1910
GV
Sea Bright Kilbroney . in Rostrevor; residence of Miss Lightbody in 1910
POD
Seacliff Bangor . an L shaped block of houses on eastern shore of Bangor Bay in Seacliff Road built 1780; residence of John Coates in 1886 POD; OS map 1901 2.06
Seacote
Kilcoo
.
an apartment house in Downs Rd, Newcastle; residence of Charles Brewster in 1910 & 1922
POD; PTTF p7; DS 1998 p51
Seacourt Bangor . on Wilson' Point; built c. 1865 by Mr. Foster Connor ; bought by Davidson family in 1895; residence of S. C. Davidson in 1901; b/w aerial view available & photos
NC 1885; NDM p2, 20 , 45,59; POD; OS map 1902 2.05
Seafield Kilbroney 29: 21/15 an area 5km SE of Rostrevor; on Kilkeel road; Killowen Catholic church nearby
CM 
Seafield House Kilbroney . residence of James Small Esq. in 1837 & Mrs Floyd in 1876; residence of Arthur Russel then his son Sir Charles Russel, Lord Chief Justice of England 1894-1900 MIs; POD; OFN p 201
Seafin
Seaphin
Drumballyroney 29: 21/38 a townland 1km NW of Ballyroney village; 399 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Finn's seat'; proprietor Marquis of Downshire whose agent was William E. Reilly of Hillsborough in 1836; rents were from 18-20 shillings an acre; farms from 10-25 acres; flax mill; farms of Mr Morrow & Mr Quin here in 1836; ancient foundations of legendary Finn McCoole’s castle built to replace the motte & bailey in Ballyroney townland & which belonged to Sir Art Megennis in 1609 here, it's on bend in River Bann, 2km S of Katesbridge V3 p 13, 16, 18 OSM; old b/w map G9; PNNI V6 p 174, 175, 176; IPP p 110
Seaforde Loughinisland 21: 40/42 a village & a townland of 1013 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; click here for a photo of the village and more information .
Seaforde House Loughinisland 21: 40/43 house & estate of 718 acres, 2km N of Clough; built 1810 by Col. Matthew Forde; home of the Forde family for generations PE; V17 p 94, 95 OSM; GV
Seahornan Dunsford possibly near Ballyhornan; mentioned in article about Horticultural Show 7 Jul 1866 DR
Seapatrick Seapatrick 20: 12/47 a village and a parish; 2km N of Banbridge;the name came about because this is where St. Patrick watered his horse and stayed long enough to establish a church on the present site of the parish churchoriginally called Desertmoy in 1306 ; school built 1815; Seapatrick House here; in 1840 the Royal Irish Thread Mills were built by Messrs. F.W. Hayes & Co. V12 p 132135 OSM: BIH p 11; old b/w map G5; BCT p 6; PNNI V6 p 302
Seapatrick House Seapatrick . in Banbridge; built by Frederick William Hayes before 1853; his resident in 1886; residence of S.G. Fenton in 1910
POD; OFB p109
Seapoges Dromore . possible alternate spelling for Lappoges townland
IIW V4 p28
Seapoint Cottage Kilbroney . house & 3 acres in Rostrevor townland; used as a bathing lodge in 1836; leased by Robert Willis in 1863 from David Ross; residence of James McFarland Esq. in 1881
V3 p 35 OSM ; GV ; POD
Seaside Home of Rest for Working Girls Bangor . in Princetown Rd, Bangor; foundation stone laid by Mrs. Forster Green 17 Aug 1893
NC*
Seaside House Kilkeel . Annalong area; residence of J.M. Fisher in 1910
POD
Seatritch Hollow Kilbroney 29: 22/15 5km SE of Rostrevor on Kilkeel road
Seavaghan Loughinisland . a townland of 569 acres; old fort; gravelly soil; Seaforde area; click here to see its location on a map; means ‘dwelling place of the family of Feochan’; site of old Catholic bohog/Mass Rock called Paranahaltar or altar park;the population in 1841 was 322 & in 1851 247 & in 1861 241 people
LCB p 81; TCC p 33; O'L B p 550; HCDTD p40
Sea View House Bangor . house & farm of 5 acres in Corporation townland cnr Farnham & Downshire Rds; leased by William Richey in 1863 from Viscount Bangor; residence of J. McMeekin in 1893 & late Alexander Brown in 1908
GV ; BWN ; OS map 1902 2.05; PPNZ
Seaview Villa Bangor  . residence on Donaghadee Road in Ballyholme OS map 1901 2.06
Seaview Dundonald residence of Miss Cooper in 1852 POD
Seaview Cottage ? . residence of James Read Esq.in 1825 Registry of Deeds, Dublin Vol 806 p304
Seaview Cottage Holywood . in Palmerston Rd, Holywood ; residence of James Gillespie in 1902 POD
Seaview Kilkeel . near Annalong; residence of A. Robinson in 1910
POD
Seaview
Killinchy
.
a villa in Killinchy ;residence of William Kelly in 1910
POD
Seaview
Killinchy
.
farm in Ballydorn; residence of Thomas Finlay in 1910
POD
Seaview Killyleagh . farm; just N of Shrigley overlooking Strangford Lough
old b/w map R12
Seaview Tullynakill 21: 50/65 farm, 2km NE of Lisbane townland; residence of Robert Hugh Finlay c. 1900
NDM p24
Seaview Warrenpoint . a neat row of houses near Warrenpoint shore ; residence of George Vaughan in 1842 & James Burke in 1851 & one leased by Nural Atkins in 1863 from Roger Hall
IIW V4 p18, 151; POD ; DDPP p84; GV ; WHGM 2011 p2 (drawing)
Seaview Cottage Rathmullan . 5km W of Killough
old b/w map M16
Seaview Farm Newtownards 21: 52/73 farm; 3km E of Newtownards
Seaview House Newtownards 21:51/72 farm; overlooking Strangford Lough, 3km SE of Newtownards
Seaview House Warrenpoint . a house & small garden in Seaview , Warrenpoint ,leased by Rev. William Brown in 1863 from Roger Hall
GV
Seaview Lodge Warrenpoint . a house & small garden in Seaview , Warrenpoint ,leased by Rev. William Smyth in 1863 from James Erskine
GV
Seaview Place Warrenpoint . 2 house & small gardens in Seaview , Warrenpoint ,owned by rep. James T. Halyday
GV
Seeconnell Kilmegan 20: 33/43 a hill; 7km N of Castlewellan in Dromara Hills; means 'Conal's seat';
LR 2005 p10 
Seefyn Drumballyroney . spelling for Seafin townland in 1659 Census
PNNI V6 p 175
Seefin Long Mourne area . means ' Finn's seat'; a rock formation in Mourne Mountains
PNNI V3 p 150
Selk Island Kilkeel 29: 36/18 large rock in the Irish Sea off the coast; 1km NE of Ballymartin village; selk means a seal
PNNI V3 p 64 
Selk Rock Ardquin 21: 57/52 in Strangford Lough, 2km NW of Portaferry
PNNI V2 p 38. 
Selk Rock Ballyhalbert 21: 66/61 rocky island just off shore; 2km N of Portavogie
PNNI V2 p 113
Selk Rock Inishargy 21: 56/65 rock in Strangford Lough; 2km W of Herring Bay
PNNI V2 p 98 
Seneschal's Port Ardkeen . a little bay near Castle Hill; named after Sir Robert Savage, seneschal of Ulster in 1350
PNNI V2 p 25
Sentry Box (The) Annaclone 20: 15/43 crossroads 5km SE of Banbridge; on the Rathfriland road
Sergeant's Island Down . near Irish St, Downpatrick in 1751 & 1752 ESSR p 1; LM 1991 p23
Seuchall Aghaderg . spelling used for Shankill in 1659 Census PNNI V6 p 52
Sevaghan Loughinisland see Seavaghan .
Seville Lodge Holywood . house & yard in Holywood Rd, Strandtown ; residence of William Thomas Waterson in 1852; leased by George Macoun in 1863 from William T. Waterson ; residence of Dr. John Greer Esq. in 1890 & Alexander McCann in 1902 GV ; MIs; POD
Seymours Green Newry a swampy area beside the Mill Race; purchased from Marquis of Downshire to build Catholic Cathedral in 1823 DDPP p4
Shague Hill Kilmegan 29: 39/37 overlooks Dundrum Inner Bay; near Moneylane townland
Shakespeare Tavern Newry .
in Hill St,Newry; the proprietor in 1824 was Adam Black
POD
Shamerad Garvaghy .
spelling for Shanrod townland in 1659 census
PNNI V6 p 204
Shamrock Island Killinchy
2 acres; in Strangford Lough; belongs to Ringhaddy townland ; click here to see its location on a townland map
V7 p 86, 92 OSM
Shamrock Lodge Knockbreda . house & garden; 1 km S of Ballymacarrett; residence of John Young in 1852; became a Home for Destitute Little Girls provided by Women's Temperance & Christian Workers' Union in 20th century V7 p 98 OSM;POD; OS map 1902 4.11
Shamrock Lodge Newtownards 15:52/78 farm; 3km NE of Newtownards town .
Shamrock Ville/Vale Blaris . farm; 2km SSW of Lisburn; residence of Lieut. Clarke in 1824 & 1836 old b/w map M4; POD
Shanachans
Shanaghan
Newry alternate spellings for Shannaghan townland PNNI V1 p 36
Shanahall Aghaderg or Shankhill or Shancole or Ballyshancole or Ballyshanholes or Shanhole ; 723 acres V12 p 3 OSM
Shanbally Loughinisland 20: 38/43 farm ;3km NW of Clough

Shancole
Shanchall

Aghaderg an ancient district name consisting of 12 townlands; see Shankill; also called Shanahall or Shankill or Ballyshancole or Ballyshanholes or Shanhole V12 p 3 OSM; PNNI V6 p53
Shandon Knockbreda
15:38/73
2km NE of Castlereagh; medieval earthworks with good views built on more ancient rath HMNI p 107
Shane Castle Ardglass . see Castle Shane .
Shaneglish Aghaderg . farm, near Scarva; residence of James Whitten in 1910 POD
Shane-hill Moira near Moira, weavers meeting 15 Oct 1842 DR
Shanes Hill Tullylish . 336 ft; means ' the small fairy dewelling'; originally a hamlet; in Ballydugan townland
PNNI V6 p 330, 353
Shanenahannen Ballyculter . 1km E of Lough Money
old b/w map Q15
Shanes Hill Tullylish 20: 6/53 farms, 1 Km SW of Bleary
Shane Lodge
Kilcoo
.
in Newcastle; residence of Mrs Harriett Chichester in 1910 & 1922
POD; PTTF p7
Shanes Lough Killyleagh 21: 50/53 part of Ballytrim estate, 2km W of Killyleagh
Shanhole Aghaderg or Shanahall or Shancole or Ballyshancole or Ballyshanholes or Shankhill ; 723 acres V12 p 3 OSM
Shanker Burn Magheralin . a creek; flows through Islandderry Lake & forms the boundary between Islandderry & Gregorlough townlands
PNNI V6 p 242, 246, 253
Shankerburn Bridge Dromore 20: 18/56 over a stream near Greenoge townland
Shankys River Clonduff 29: 22/26 runs from NW Mourne Mountains into the Rocky River; means' river of the storyteller'
PNNI V3 p 183 
Shankill Aghaderg 29: 12/39 a townland; means ' old church';also spelt Shanahall, Shancole, Ballyshancole, Ballyshanholes or Shanhole ; 5km S of Loughbrickland; 723 acres; 579 ft above sea level;means ' old hazel'; click here to see its location on a townland map; held by Ever McArte Magennis in 1609 V12 p 3, 8 OSM; PNNI V6 p 14,52
Shankill House Aghaderg 29: 12/39 farm, 5km S of Loughbrickland
Shankill Ballyphilip . means ' old church'; name of an ancient church & graveyard in Ballygalget townland
O'L V1 p 411
Shankill Drumgooland in Magheramayo townland; ruins of ancient church here DDPP p62
Shankill Shankill . a townland; means ' old church; this is a parish which is mainly in Co Antrim with parts in Co Armagh; its on the banks of Lough Neagh; there is only one townland, Kilmore, which is in Co Down; click here to see its location on a townland map 
V12 p 138 OSM
Shanlieve Clonduff 29: 24/23 mountain in the Southern Mournes ;7km NE of Rostrevor; 2053 feet above sea level; means ' old mountain'
V3 p 5 OSM ; PNNI V3 p 151 
Shanlough Kilkeel 29: 23/23 a small lake; in The Mournes near Eagle Mountain; means ' old lake'
PNNI V3 p 151 , 184
Shannagh More Kilcoo 29: 38/29 farm; near coast 4km S of Newcastle
PNNI V3 p 151. 
Shannagh River Kilkeel 29: 30/25 runs from Lough Shannagh into Silent Valley in the Mournes  .
Shannaghan Newry 20: 21/42  a townland of 878 acres; detached townland of Newry on River Bann next to Annaclone parish, 3km N of Ballyroney ; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' old ford'; woodlands here; Linen-Hill corn mill; 2 other corn mills; flax mill; school established 1824; bog; lake; Presbyterian church here V12 p13,79,80 & V3 p 14, 82, 83, 110,111 OSM;GIC; PNNI V1 p 35
Shannaghan Hill Newry 20: 21/41 hill ;overlooking Bann river 2km N of Ballyroney
Shannaghan Lough Drumballyroney . in Ballybrick townland; a bog & lough
PNNI V6 p 157
Shannon Grove Kilkeel 29: 25/16 house & farm of 52 acres in Ballymadeefy townland, 6km W of Kilkeel on Rostrevor road; residence of Francis Moore in 1813 & David Moore Esq. in 1819 ; leased by John Shannon Moore in 1856 & 1863 from Kilmorey Estate & residence of Richard Jebb Brown in 1875 & 1876 & Thomas Bartley in 1910
CM ; GDM; POD; PNNI V3 p 64; GV ; POD

Shanrod
Shenrod
Shanrade

Garvaghy 20: 21/46 3km S of Garvaghy village; click here to see its location on a townland map; on the shores of Lough Dugh; now called Shanrod Lough; 668 acres; means ' old road'; bog (Shanrod Lough), corn & flax mill here in 1796 & 1836 ; school here in 1836; proprietors T & S Corry in 1836; new school built 1858 V12 p 79 ,80, 81, 83, 84 OSM; NS ; DDPP p55; PNNI V6 p 204
Shanrod House Garvaghy 20: 20/44 farm; 4km S of Garvaghy village
Shan Slieve Kilcoo 29: 34/29 mountain in the Mournes, 3km SW of Newcastle; means 'old mountain'
PNNI V3 p 151
Shantallagh Down . house in Quoile Road; residence of J. Clements in 1910 POD
Sharavogue Kilcoo . in Newcastle; residence of Mrs. Carruthers 26 Mar 1915 DR*
Shark Island Saul 21; 54/50 in Strangford Lough; 3 acres; 4km WNW of Strangford town; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Mr Price in 1836 & John Craig in 1863 (leased by Samuel Bailie) ; poor clay soil V17 p 114 OSM; GV
Sharmrock Island Killinchy . see Shamrock Island .
Shaw's Bridge Drumbo . over the River Lagan in Ballynavally townland; click here for a photo V7 p 54 OSM
Shawstown Garvaghy . a house cluster in Tullyorior townland ; 5km SE of Banbridge; the last Shaw died in 1939 old b/w map G7; PNNI V6 p 207
Sheag Hill Kilmegan near Dundrum, lead mine 8 Apr 1837 owned byMarquis of Downshire DR; LM 1988 p23
Sheelah’s Island Inishargy 21: 57/65 in Strangford Lough; near Nuns Quarter townland; less than 1 acre
V7 p 6 OSM 
Sheepbridge Newry 29: 9/32 5km N of Newry town; in Carnmeen townland; a village & well built bridge over the Newry River V3 p 72, 106 OSM; PNNI V1 p 45
Sheepbridge House Newry . house & farm of 49 acres in Lisduff townland; 4km NE of Newry town; in 1690, Mr. Gordon raised a troop of horse and led it into Battle of Boyne; Jane Livingston born here in 1795 (grand daughter of Mr. Gordon); residence of John Gordon Esq.in 1836; leased by John Gordon in 1863 from Kilmorey Estate; in 1880 the 11th and last Gordon had sold the house & trees were being cut down
GV; MSS p 81,82; V 3 p 72, 106 OSM; old b/w map C8
Sheep Hill Clonduff 29: 22/28 slopes of the Mournes; 3km SE of Hilltown
PNNI V3 p 152 
Sheep Rock Kilkeel 29: 24/10 at the entrance to Carlingford Lough
Sheeplandbeg
Shipland
Dunsford on the coast, 4km S of Kilclief; 170 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Earl of Ardglass & leased to Lord Bisdhop of Meath 1647-1708 & sublet to James Lesley Esq.; purchased by Archibald McNeill in 1710; Bishops lands £25 in 1744; mills here in 1836; lead mine on Capt. Magennis land here 8 Apr 1837; article on old Mill (LM 1997 p14-15) LM 1985 p53; V17 p 9, 72, 118 OSM: DR; O'L V1 p 308; LM 1988 p22; LR 2011 p8,9,16 (windmill)
Sheeplandmore Dunsford on the coast, 3km S of Kilclief; 615 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; site of ancient holy well called St. Patrick's Well; Thomas Barnwell was the tenant in 1615; owned by Earl of Ardglass& leased to Lord Bisdhop of Meath 1647-1708 & sublet to James Lesley Esq.; owned by the Southwell Estare in 1752 and the mill leased to McNeal's executors; Richard Magennis was tenant in 1833; reduction in rent, Major Maginnis landlord 29 Jan 1881 O'L V1 p 180 & B p 179, 319; LM 1985 p53; LM 1991 p25; V17 p 72 OSM ; Inv1997 p 29; DR
Sheep Point Bangor 15:55/84 E of Cove Bay; near Groomsport; in Belfast Lough  
Sheeptown Harbour Dunsford 21: 58/39 in Irish Sea, 2km NE of Ardglass; wreck of French warship 'Amitie' here in 1797
DR* 6/10/1915R
Sheeptown Newry a townland 3km NE of Newry town; 598 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; originally belgong to the Monastery of Newry in 1157; the English who lived in the castle were slaughtered in 1237; in 1659 Census, all residents were Irish; proprietor Lord Newry & Marquis Anglesey whose agent was Mr. Thomas Henry,a resident, in 1836; undulating surfact with light soil; pike, trout & eels in the stream;a 3 arched bridge on the Newry to Rathriland road & another called Crown Bridge; farms were from 5-12 acres; leases of 3 lives; rent 18 shillings an acremain surnames in 1836 were Copeland, Martin, O’Hear & Sands; cottages were generally of stone & thatch with a room & a kitchen; food was mostly potatoes, bacon & mll; Catholic chapel here ; school established 1836; Crown mound & fort in the southern part of the townland; owned by Marquis of Angelsey but leased to the Needhams, rent rolls 1810-1855 in PRONI; the executors of Marquis of Anglesey sold this townland 15 May 1858 V3 p 77, 81,107, 108 OSM; GIC; PNNI V1 p 36,37; DDPP p2; Freeman's Journal, Dublin
Sheltered Farm Drumbo 20; 37/66 farm; just east of Carryduff;
Shepherd's Bridge Holt Saintfield . railway station just N of Saintfield; Shepherd family lived nearby in 1880
NWAG p37 ; SHM '86 p 28
Shimna Kilcoo . a house in Newcastle ; residence of Mrs Knox in 1910
POD
Shimna River Kilcoo 29: 34/32 also called Tollymore river, runs through Tollymore Park and flows into the Irish sea at Newcastle; previously called the Hanoloe or Hanolock River; mens ' the rushy river'
Kilcoo map; PNNI V3 p 114, 184
Shinn Newry 29: 13/33 a townland 7km W of Rathfriland; 463 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; originally part of the Bagenal Estate in 1575; proprietor Mr Dickenson & agent Mr James Reid of Newry in 1836; farms were from 10-25 acres; rent was £2.4.0 an acre; mainly Presbyterians; Catholic chapel here ; Catholic Parochial House here ; school established 1830; 2 springs, a neat bridge & 2 small hills; most cottages made of stone & thatched, generalkly 2 rooms & a kitchen; 2 caves found; 1 ancient fort; V3 p 77, 81, 109, 110 OSM; GIC; PNNI V1 p 38
Shinn Bridge Newry 29: 12/34 over a stream ; N of Shinn townland
Ship Hotel Inishargy . in Kircubbin; the proprietor in 1910 was Hugh Dorrian
GV
Shoemaker Hill Loughinisland . in Annadorn townland
DR* 3/5/2006.
Shones Island Saul 21: 52/49 In Strangford Lough, near Ringbane townland
Shooter’s Island Inch
10 acres; also spelt Shuter's Island ; in Strangford Lough
.
Shore (The) Inch . house built 1600s on shore of Strangford Lough near Downpatrick - Killyleagh Road; residence of McClurg family until 1870; photo of ruins available LM 1990 p12-14
Short Isle Donaghadee 15:60/76 small island just offshore in Irish Sea near Millisle village .
Shrigley Killyleagh 21: 51/54 a village; 2km NW of Killyleagh in Tullyveery townland ; click here to see its location on a townland map; click here for a photo and more information; school here .
Shrub Hill Knockbreda . farm; 1km S of Newtownbreda; residence of John Kennedy Esq in 1854
old b/w map P7; IIW
Shucktown Dundonald . a house cluster off the Gransha Road;b/w photo available
TMUOP p 94
Shuter's Island Inch . 10 acres; also spelt Shooter's Island ; in Strangford Lough .
Siberia Kilkeel . in Ballyrogan townland; a house built on Mourne Park Estate by Robert Needham in 1715; it was replaced by Mourne Park House c. 1820
HOTC p107; HPA p15
Sign of the Seven Seas Aghaderg . inn in Loughbrickland; proprietors in 1910 was Eugene Maguire & Son POD
Silent Valley Kilkeel
29: 30/24
a large man-made reservoir in the middle of the Mourne Mountain built c. early 20th century; 8km N of Kilkeel; workers dissatisfied with conditons 19 Feb 1924 *;works report 7 May 1928*; email me for a photo of site
PNNI V3 p 152; DR*
Silverford Bridge Aghaderg . 1km NW of Loughbrickland; old mills here in 1830
old b/w map F6; BCT p 25
Silverlargy Kilcoo . alternate spelling for Slievenalargy townland in rent roll of 1692
PNNI V3 p 113
Simmons Hill Kilclief . In Drumroe townland; hurling played here in 1880s
Inv 2000 p 50
Simmy Island Killyleagh 8 acres; in Strangford Lough off Rathcunningham townland; residence of Thomas & Agnes Wallace in 1858 & 2 fishermen Francis Bishop & Robert Derby in 1901
PRONI wills; 1901 Census  
Simpsons Fort Magheralin 20: 16/57 ancient rath; in Gregorlough townland
PNNI V6 p 242
Sinclair's Fort Dundonald . in Ballymiscaw townland;a large mound possibly an ancient fort but named after the person who lived there in 1834
V7 p 65 OSM
Sion Hill Garvaghy . 19th century spelling for Scion Hill; residence of Capt. E. B. Gilmour in 1824 & G. Waugh J.P. in 1886
PNNI V6 p 209; POD
Sion Hill Hillsborough 20: 23/59 1 km W of Hillsborough; residence of Edward McConkey in 1848 & John McConkey in 1852
MIs; POD
Sir Henrys Buildings Knockbreda 18 homes in Albertbridge Rd, Belfast in 1902 POD
Sirocco Works Bangor founded in 1881 by Samuel Cleland Davidson ; new foundry on the Lagan River built in 1909 NDM p18,110
Siskuin Aghaderg or Caskum; 646 acres V12 p 1 OSM
Sithe Ballyphilip . name of an ancient church in Ballygalget townland
O'L V1 p 410
Six Road Ends Ballyhalbert 21: 63/60 crossroads; 3km W of Portavogie  .
Six Road Ends Bangor 15:54/78 crossroads; near Ballygrainey townland; 3km SE of Bangor town ; site of Matt McClenaghan's blacksmith's shop, centrepoint of 1798 Rebellion; click here for a photo
BGHD p 1
Skartock Rock Inishargy . in Strangford Lough; means ' a cormorant'
PNNI V2 p 98
Skateridge Annaclone 20: 19/40 a hill of 301 ft; means ' a conspicuous place'; near river Bann; once considered a townland but now in Ardbrin townland
PNNI V6 p 68,76
Skate Rock Killyleagh 21: 54/52 in Strangford Lough, 2km SE of Killyleagh
Skeagh
Skeogh
Dromore 20: 21/50 a townland 3km SE of Dromore; 828 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map;means ' the hawthorn bush'; owned by Sir Art Magennis in 1609; once part of Kilwarlin parish;Altafort, residence of C Herron Esq here in 1836 ; school here in 1836; Skeagh Hill here V12 p 72, 73 OSM; old b/w map I 7; PNNI V6 p 140
Skeagh (The) Drumballyroney 29: 22/40 an area 2km NW of Moneyslane village; means ' the hawthorn'; Skeagh House here
PNNI V6 p 186
Skelly Hill Bangor
15:47/82
overlooks Helen's Bay; in the ancient townland in Ballyskelly now Ballygrot PNNI V2 p 145, 176
Skelly Hill Donaghadee
15:58/81
overlooks Donaghadee town & Irish Sea .
Skelton’s Cut Magherally bog, Mr Skelton fell in around 1836 ; in Ballycross townland V12 p 113 OSM
Skelton's Lane Ends Magherally . crossroads; 4km NE of Banbridge; in Mullafernaghan townland old b/w map H5; PNNI V6 p 269
Skerries Magheradroll means “ rocky place”; near Ballynahinch BH
Sketrick Island
Skaterick Island
Ardkeen/ Killinchy 40 acres; now joined to the mainland by a causeway near Ballydorn townland, Killinchy parish ; site of an ancient castle,church, well & graveyard & aligned to Ardkeen for taxation purposes ; click here for a photo of the castle and more information; a Norse name LR 2005 p21
Skillens Pipe Inch . at crossroads of Annacloy, Crossgar & Downpatrick roads
DR* 10/3/28R
Skillens Point Grey Abbey 21: 57/68 on Strangford Lough, 1km W of Grey Abbey
Skillyscolban Dromore 20: 19/50 a townland 4km S of Dromore; 450 acres; ;click here to see its location on a townland map;means ' woof for thatching pegs'; pnce church lands held by Patrick McCormick in 1623; school here in 1817 & 1836 ; serious attack on head constable & sub constable, police, shot 25 Aug 1883 V12 p 73, 77 OSM;HSSS; DR ; PNNI V6 p 142, 143
Skippingstone Bangor on Bangor Bay; ladies bathing place constructed here in 1905 NDM p60
Skullmartin Rock/Reef
Skyr Martin
Ballywalter 21: 64/69 2km off shore from Ballywalter; from 'skull masern' in Norse meaning the shape of a porpoise's skull; a hazard for seafarers; steamer 'Aberystwith' wrecked 27 Jun 1878 ; 'Loch Sunart' wrecked 11 Jan 1879; schooner 'Ladyland' wrecked 13 Nov 1879; shipping casualty 'Fitzjames' 6 Nov 1880 (DR); lightship moored here 16 Jan 1886 (NC) DR; NC; PNNI V2 p 74; BoTWR/MB; Inv 203 p51 ; SBTS p22

Slanes

Slans

Slanes or Ballyphilip 21: 63/55 a townland & a parish; 4km NE of Portaferry; 197 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' health giving holy well '; in 1659 there were 1 English/Scots & 6 Catholic families here; the boundaries of the parish changed in Jan 1828; a light house here; in 1837 there was a ruin of a church surrounded by a graveyard; owned by Manor of Movilla Abbey; proprietor Mr Hastie/Haistings in 1836 ; Lord Bangor sold the lordship of this manor in 2005 to Ronald C. Bridges Esq.; see his website http://www.lordshipofslanes.com/ V7 p 8, 121 & V12 p125, 127 OSM; SP; NCT; GIC; O'L V1 p 417; PNNI V2 p 115; LR 2005 p 18
Slanes Bay & Point Slanes 21: 64/56 4km SSW of Portavogie; coast guard station in 1837
V7 p 121 OSM
Slaney Saul . a river which rises in Loughmoney, flows through Raholp & into Strangford Lough
O'L V1 p 227
Slangg Clonduff . alternate spelling ofr Stang townland in 1659 census
PNNI V3 p 94
Slatady Knockbreda 1km SE of Castlereagh; 177 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map
Slatady House Knockbreda . house off Upper Braniel Road, Castlereagh; residence of Simon Logan in 1885 N12/24 CBSA; BEY 24/6/1885
Slates (The) Clonduff 29: 24/23 on Eagle Mountain, part of The Mournes; 6km SSE of Hilltown
Slaty Port Bangor 15:60/86 on western side of Lighthouse Island, Copeland Islands in Irish Sea; named after the slate quarries here
PNNI V2 p 176
Slave Rock Inishargy 21: 56/60 in Strangford Lough, 3km W of Gransha townland
Slevnelargay Kilcoo . alternate spelling for Slievenalargy townland in 1659 census
PNNI V3 p 113
Slewanstowne Donaghadee . alternate spelling for Sloanstown in 1659 Census
PNNI V2 p 194
Sley Annaclone . spelling used for Clay townland in Rent Roll of 1681
PNNI V6 p 70
Sliddery Bay Killinchy 21: 54/58 in Strangford Lough, between Islandmore & Pawle Island
Sliddery ford & river Kilmegan 29: 39/35 12 arched bridge over old mill stream between Newcastle & Dundrum;; click here for a photo and more information .
Slieveacarnane Clonallan 29: 15/24 mountain in The Mournes, 6km N of Warrenpoint; means' mountain of the little cairn'
PNNI V3 p 160 
Slieveanowen Kilbroney 29: 22/19 mountain in The Mournes, 4km E of Rostrevor
CM; PNNI V1 p 158 & V3 p 161 
Slieveban Kilbroney 29: 19/16 mountain in the Southern Mournes 2km SE of Rostrevor; means 'white mountain'
PNNI V1 p 158  & V3 p 161
Slieve Bearnagh Kilcoo 29: 31/28 mountain in The Mournes; 6km SE of Kilcoo village; means' gapped mountain'
NWAG p 39 ; PNNI V3 p 152
Slieve Beg Kilmegan 29: 31/37 hill ;in Annesley Demesne, 2km NW of Castlewellan
PNNI V3 p 153 
Slieve Beg Kilkeel 29: 33/28 mountain in The Mournes, 4km SW of Newcastle  
Slieve Beingan
Slieve Bignian
Kilkeel   bin or bein means " pinnacle' in Irish; and gan means ' difficult" meaning the pinnacle of difficult ascent
V3 p 54 OSM : NWAG p 39; PNNI V3 p 153
Slieve Binnian Kilkeel 29: 32/23 mountain in The Mournes, 5km NW of Annalong  
Slieveboyan Saul . a mountain in Walshestown townland, behind St. Tassach's Catholic Church PE
Slieve Brin Bein Gan Kilkeel   means " an excresence or drop from Bingian", standing in such a manner as if it started out of the side of the other
V3 p 54 OSM
Slieve Bug Kilkeel 29: 25/19 mountain in The Mournes, 7km NW of Kilkeel; means ' soft mountain'
PNNI V3 p 162 
Slievebuyon Saul . an old denomination place name in Walshestown O'L V1 p 247
Slieve Commedagh Kilcoo   means ' watching or guarding mountain' Kilcoo map; PNNI V3 p 153
Slieve Corragh Kilcoo   means ' rugged or pointed mountain' Kilcoo map; PNNI V3 p 154
Slieve Croob Dromara 20: 32/45 in the middle of the Dromara Hills; source of the River Lagan; means “claw, foot, hoof mountain”; click here for a photo

BH

Slievedermot Kilbroney 29: 20/19 mountain in Rostrevor Forest, 2km NE of Rostrevor; means ' Dermot's mountain'
PNNI V1 p 158  & V3 p 162
Slieve Docra Clonduff . alternate name for Tievedockaragh in 1830
PNNI V3 p 172
Slieve Donard Kilcoo 29: 36/28 highest mountain in Northern Ireland; 850m or 2796 feet; 4km S of Newcastle in The Mournes; click here for a photo
V3 p 51 OSM  ; PNNI V3 p 154; East Down Advertiser Mar 2012 p27
Slieve Donard Hotel Kilcoo . a hotel in Newcastle; the manager in 1910 was William Francis Collins ; old postcard c. 1910 available
POD; DR 7/2/1939*
Slieve Dhu Kilcoo . a house in Newcastle ; residence of Mrs Ewing in 1910
POD
Slievefadda Kilbroney 29: 21/17 mountain on the slopes of The Mournes, 4km E of Rostrevor; means ' long mountain'
CM ; PNNI V1 p 158& V3 p 162
Slievegarran Kilmegan 20; 31/42 in Dromara Hills, 9km N of Castlewellan  
Slievegrane Hill
Carnagran
Saul 21: 50/46 2km NE of Downpatrick on high ground east of Slievenagriddle; owned by Southwell Estate in 1752; residence of the Lindsay family in 1790 & McGlennon family in 1802 PE; PR; LM 1991 p26; MID p 156
Slievehanny Kilmegan 20: 34/40 mountain with ancient cashel & soutererrain ;4km N of Castlewellan in Dromara Hills  
Slievelamagar
Slievelamagan
Kilkeel 29: 33/26 mountain in the Mournes, 5km SW of Newcastle; means ' creeping mountain'
NWAG p 37; PNNI V3 p 162
Slieve Loughshannagh Kilcoo 29: 29/27 part of the Mourne Mountains; 6km S of Kilcoo; means' mountain of the lake of foxes'
PNNI V3 p 157 
Slievemageogh Kilkeel 29: 26/22 slopes of the S Mournes, 7km NNW of Kilkeel in Mourne Mountains Middle townland; means ' Mageogh's mountain'
PNNI V 3 p 25, 163
Slieveman Kilcoo 29: 29/31 see Slievenaman:  
Slievemartin Kilbroney 29: 20/18 mountain in The Mournes, 2km E of Rostrevor; means ' Marin's mountain'
CM; PNNI V1 p 158 & V3 p 163 
Slievemeel Kilbroney 29: 21/21 mountain in The Mournes, near Rostrevor Forest; means ' mountain of the ants'
PNNI V1 p 159  & V3 p 164
Slieve Meelbeg Slieve Mielbeg Kilcoo 29: 29/28 part of the Mourne Mountains; 5km S of Kilcoo; means ' small mountain of teh ants'
NWAG p 39 ; PNNI V3 p 157
Slieve Meelmore Slieve Meilmore Kilcoo 29: 30/29 part of the Mourne Mountains; the country people call it Slieve Muggtha or Buttermountain; 1837 feet above sea level; means' great mountain of rhe ants'
V3 p 5 OSM: NWAG p 39; PNNI V3 p 158
Slievemeen Kilbroney 29: 20/17 mountain in The Mournes, 3km SE of Rostrevor; means ' smooth mountain'
CM ; PNNI V1 p 159 & V3 p 164
Slievemiskan Kilbroney 29: 22/20 mountain in The Mournes, 3km NE of Rostrevor; measn mountain of the cairns'
PNNI v1 p 159 & V3 p 164 
Slievemoughanmore Kilkeel 29: 25/24 mountain in The Mournes, 11km NW of Kilkeel
PNNI V3 p 165 
Slievemoyle
Slevemule
Ballyculter 21: 56/48 hill & farm; 3km SW of Strangford townl owned by the Southwell Estate in 1752 & leased by John Porter & Richard Watterson
LM 1991 p26 
Slieve Muck Clonduff 29: 27/25 mountain in the centre of The Mournes; 7km SE of Hilltown; Slieve Muck North is 2198 feet above sea level; means ' mountain of the pigs'
V3 p5 OSM; NWAG p31; PNNI V3 p 159
Slievenaboley Drumgooland 20: 27/44 a townland of 1193 acres; in Dromara Hills; a mountain of 1069 feet & a townland ;click here to see its location on a townland map; lake here ; in 1659 Census it was called Slanebally West & there were 4 Irish families only; by 1841 Census there were 82 families with 221 males & 212 females V3 p 24 OSM; DCPH p 46, 131
Slievenabrock Kilcoo 29: 34/30 mountain in The Mournes, 2km SW of Newcastle; means ' mountain of the badgers'
PNNI V3 p 166 
Slievenagarragh Kilkeel 29: 37/26 mountain in The Mournes near the sea 5km S of Newcastle; means ' mountain of the furrows'
PNNI V3 p 166 
Slievenaglogh Kilcoo 29: 33/29 on the Mourne Mountains, 4km SW of Newcastle; means ' mountain of the rocks'
Kilcoo map; N WAG p39; PNNI V3 p 166
Slievenaglogh Kilkeel 29: 29/23 in the Mourne Mountains; 8km WNW of Annalong
PNNI V3 p 167 
Slievenagore Kilkeel . in the Mourne Mountains; pointed summit ; means ' mountain of the goats' NWAG p31 ; PNNI V3 p 167

Slievenagridal
Sliewne Gridle

Slievenagriddle

Ballee 21: 52/46 a townland 3km N of Ballee village; click here to see its location on a townland map; hill overlooking Lough Money; 4km E of Downpatrick; leased to James Hamilton 1 Nov 1669 by Earl of Ardglass for annual rent of £20; sold to Downpatrick Estate in 1710; sold to Thomas Nevin by Mrs. James Maguire in 1727; school here in 1836; owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford & the College of Dublin; proprietors Trinity College in 1836; on the summit is an ancient collapsed dolmen; article on townland 2 Jan 1869; photo available V17 p 20, 22, 23 OSM;LM 1985 p6, 52; DR; LWAG p 25; O'L V1 p 307
Slievenalargy Kilcoo 29: 30/35 a townland on the slopes of Tullynasoo Mountain; near Lough Island Reavy; 477 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' mountain of the sloping expanse'; held by Arthur Magennis of Rathfriland in 1609 then granted to Arthur Hill in 1640 then George Rawdon in 1661; manslaughter of Michael Saye at Slievenalargy 2 Apr 1864; Church of Ireland here DR; GIC; PNNI V3 p 100; PNNI V3 p 113
Slievenmaddy Kilcoo 29: 35/30 a mountain ;part of the Mournes, 2km SW of Newcastle; means ' mountain of the dogs'
PNNI V3 p 167 
Slievenaman Kilcoo 29: 29/31 northern part of Mourne Mountains: straddles the townlands of Cross & Moyad; means ' mountain of the women'; school house 5 Aug 1843 DR; PNNI V3 p 168
Slievenamiskan Clonduff 29: 26/27 mountain near Spelga Pass in The Mournes, 4km SE of Hilltown
PNNI V3 p 168 
Slievenamoney Dromara 20: 34/44 8km SE of Dromara; means “ mountain of scrubs” BH
Slievenamuck Clonduff . just east of Spelga & S of Butter Mountain; in the Mourne Mountains; means ' mountain of the pigs'
PNNI V3 p 169
Slievenaslat Kilmegan 29: 33/38 hill ;in Annesley Demesne, 2km NW of Castlwellan
Slieve Neill Beg Clonduff . in the Mourne Mountains; 2310 feet above sea level; ought to be called Slieve Miel More V3 p 5 OSM
Slievenisky Kilmegan 20: 33/44 a townland 7 km N of Castlewellan; 1198 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; H .Smith murdered 10 Feb 1839;major proprietor in 1863 was Earl Annesley; iron ore resources 18 Aug 1883; highest point 1408 feet DR; GV
Slieve Patrick Saul 21: 52/47 hill & memorial to St. Patrick ; 4km NE of Downpatrick  .
Slieve Roe Kilboney 29: 18/24 mountain in The Mournes; 5km N of Rostrevor; means ' red mountains'
PNNI V1 p 159 & V3 p 170
Slieve Roe Kilkeel 29: 23/19 mountain in the southern Mournes, 5km N of Carlingford Lough
PNNI V3 p 159.
Slieve Roe Park Kilkeel 29: 24/16 farm, 6km W of Kilkeel town  .
Slieve Roosley Kilbroney 29: 19/23 mountain in The Mournes, 5km N of Rostrevor; means ' Mac Ruslaing's mountain'
PNNI V1 p 159  & V3 p 159
Slieve-Slany Kilcoo . ancient name for Slieve Donard just S of Newcastle
O'L V1 p ix
Slieve Snavan Kilkeel . means " to creep" or " creeping mountain"' so called because it must be climbed in a creeping position
V3 p 54 OSM
Slieve Triplog Ballyculter . where explosives were stored for Tullyratty lead mine
Inv 1999 p 21
Slieve William/ Willan Saul . now called Slieve Patrick in Ballysuggagh townland; overlooks both Catholic & Church of Ireland churches; in 1938 a huge statue of St Patrick was erected
PE; LWAG p 26 ; LR 2004 p45
Slimmy Island Killyleagh 21: 53/56 in Strangford Lough, 3km N of Killyleagh
Slintiagh Ballyphilip . proprietor in 1836 was Mr. Nugent; rent 22 shillings; leases were for 3 lives or 31 years V7 p 8 OSM
Sloanstown
Slewanstown
Donaghadee 21: 58/72 a townland 4km N of Grey Abbey; 261 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; large extent of bog; in 1659 there were 3 English/ Scots & 2 Catholic families here; ‘in Chancery’ land sale 29 Mar 1845; owned by John Cleland in 1863 V17 p 124 & V7 p45 OSM;SP; DR; PNNI V2 p 194; GV
Sloughtown Magheradrool . a scutch mill in Magheratimpany townland
PE
Sluthenderkeys Tullynakill . ancient name for Castle Espie
PNNI V6 p 369
Small Park Hillsborough a townland of 68 acres; part of the demesne which belonged to Marquis of Downshire of Hillsborough Castle; click here to see its location on a townland map
V12 p96 OSM
Smelt Mill Bay Bangor 15:49/83 next bay W to Bangor Bay in Belfast Lough
OS map 1902 2.05.
Smiddle Hill Newtownards 15:56/74 farm; 5km E of Newtownards town .
Smithfield Blaris . an area of Lisburn town
PR
Smiths / Smites Castle Witter . original name for Quintin Castle near Quinton Bay; names for Dualtagh Smith
LR 2005 p18
Smiths Rock Tyrella 21: 45/35 in Dundrum Bay, W of Tyrella Beach  .
Smithstown Moira . an alternate name for Ballygowan townland in 1811
PNNI V6 p 282
Snug Brook Knockbreda . house & garden; just N of Ormeau demesne; 1 km S of Ballymacarret; residence of John Cumming in 1795
V7 p 98 OSM ; NS
Soldiers Point Kilkeel 29: 25/11 in Cranfield Bay ;at the entrance to Carlingford Lough
Soldierstown Ballyculter near Loughmoney townland Inv 1997 p 45
Soldini Bangor in Ballyholme Rd, Bangor; residence of Mrs Young in 1902 POD
Solitude Bridge & farm Comber 21: 42/65 over a stream, 2km NW of Ballygowan; house & farm of 106 acres in Edenslaate townland; leased by John Bennett in 1863 from William Mussenden; residence of Mr. James Bennett in 1894 & Mr. William Bennett in 1910 & 13 Feb 1915
GV; POD; Irish World; DR*
Solitude Dundonald . house & farm of 51 acres in Ballylisbredan townland; leased by rep. Ephraim Chancellor in 1863 from Vicars Chiral & Organist of Armagh; residence of William Chancelor in 1888 & Mrs . Chancellor in 1902
GV; POD
Solitude House Magherally 20: 14/48 farm estate ; 3km NE of Banbridge ; built in 1840 by Clbborn family; stands on an island between the River Bann & the old Clibborn Vale bleachworks; residence of Alexander Woods c. 1900; now a public recreation park; photo available BIH p Mc;MIs; OB p2,3
Solon Hill Dromara . residence of George Waugh. J.P. in 1893
BWN
Somerset Terrace Bangor in Princetown Rd, Bangor; residence of J.M. Cochran in 1902 POD
Somerset Villa Bangor . villa in Crawfordsburn Rd, Bangor; residence of Miss Hunter in 1901 POD
Somerville Kilcoo . a boarding house in Newcastle; run by Mrs McKee in 1914
NWAG p 47
South Bay Ballytrustan 21: 63/48 in the Irish Sea coast ; 5km SE of Portaferry
South Island Grey Abbey 21: 56/67 in Strangford Lough, 1km W of Grey Abbey; 20 acres; also knwn as Island South; laying off Gordonall townland
V7 p 68 OSM ; PNNI V2 p 211; LM 1996 p20
South Rock Comber 21: 52/68 in Strangford Lough, half way between Comber & Grey Abbey; shipwreck “Pursuit” 15 Dec 1849; brig " John Kendall' ashore at lighthouse 5 Mar 1881; shipwreck of steamer "Eureka' 13 Feb 1886 DR
South Rock Slanes . in the Irish Sea near Cloghy; a danger to sailors; Kilwarlin Lighthouse built 1797, named in honour of Lord Downshire; steamer 'Strathdon' wrecked 9 Oct 1883; schooner 'Leonard Hollis' wrecked 3 Mar 1885; crewed light ship here in 1901
BoTWR/MB; JUAHS 2011 p20 (map) & 2012 p22
South Sheelah’s Island Inishargy see Sheelah's Island
Southview Kilbroney . in or near Rostrevor; residence of Miss Emerson in 1910 POD
Southwork Newry . an area in Ballybot on Co. Armagh side of town IIW V4 p 171
Soutra Bangor in Ward Ave , Bangor; residence of Thomas Sheriff in 1902 POD
Spa (The) Magheradrool 20: 36/50 a resort & village; 3km S of Ballynahinch; click here to see its location on a map; click here for a photo and more information .
Spa Cottage Magheradrool. . 2km S of Ballynahinch; residence of Miss Isabella Bell in 1910
old b/w map M10; POD
Spafield Holywood residence of Jonathan Cordukes & Robert Kirkpatrick & Paul Munster in 1852 POD
Spaltha Clonduff 29: 26/29 mountain in The Mournes ; 6km E of Hilltown; means ' scorched mountain'
PNNI V3 p 170 
Spa Mount Comber . house & farm of 41 acres in Crossnacreevy townland; 3km S of Castleragh;leased by reps. Rev. F.Blakely in 1863 from Marquis of Downshire
old b/w map Q7; GV
Spamount Magheradroll 20: 37/49 farm ;on Annaghmore hill
old b/w map M 10 
Spa Well Kilcoo . 1km SW of Newcastle old b/w map I15
Spa Well Kilkeel . 6kn N of Kilkeel old b/w map F15
Spelgah Clonduff 29: 26/27 mountain in The Mournes; 5km E of Hilltown; means ' place abounding with rocks' V3 p 28 OSM; PNNI V3 p 170
Spelga Pass Clonduff 29: 25/28 in the middle of the Mournes on the road between Hilltown & Kilkeel; email me for a photo
Spellack Kilcoo 29: 30/30 part of Slieve Meelmore in the Mournes; means ' pointed rock'
PNNI V3 p 171 
Spencer's Bridge
Spence's Bridge
Moira. . over River Lagan; 4km E of Moira town
old b/w map K4; PNNI V6 p 277, 297
Spences River Kilkeel . flows from the Mourne Mountains to the Irish Sea
PNNI V3 p 185
Spences Mountain Kilkeel 29: 36/25 part of The Mournes, 5km NNW of Annalong
PNNI V3 p 171 
Spiers Drain Ballee . a bog near Ballyclander LR 2004 p18
Spinkwee River Kilcoo 29: 33/30 also called Cascade River, on northern slopes of Mourne Mtns
PNNI V3 p 185 
Spion Kop Donaghadee . at Millisle; distastrous fire 15 Dec 1900 NC
Spion Kop Killinchy . The Craigs; a farm of James Wilson in 1910 POD
Spire Hill Annahilt . 3km SE of Hillsborough on the Annahilt road old b/w map L6
Spital - . denotes that a hospital of some kind was on this site O'L V1 p 145
Spittle Ballee Ballee a townland 1km W of Ballee village;222 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map;site of a leper hospital c. 1387; later called Drumroe; sold to Southwell's Downpatrick Estate in 1710;sold to Thomas Nevin by Mrs. James Maguire c. 1727; owned by Heirs of Lord De Clifford; proprietor Mr Johnston of London in 1836; school here in 1836; article on townland 2 Jan 1869 V17 p 20, 21, 22, 23 OSM; LM 1985 p6; DR; O'L V1 p 307
Spittle Quarter
Spidyel Quarter
Ballee a townland 1km W of Ballee village; 97 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'hospital quarter'; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to Robert Ward Esq.sold to Downpatrick Estate in 1710; owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford in 1836; leased to Mr. Johnston; article on townland 2 Jan 1869; 27m long, ancient 5 chambered underground souterrain found here in 1988 LM 1985 p52; V17 p 20, 22 OSM; DR ; O'L V1 p 307; Inv 2001 p 10; LR 2005 p27; LM 1990 p39;
Split Bog (The) Drumgooland 20: 25/41 farm; 2km N of Moneyslane village
Spoil Heap Kilclief 21: 59/47 rocks at the entrance to Strangford Lough, near Cloghy
Spokane Knockbreda . in Knock Rd, East Belfast; residence of J. Davison in 1902
POD
Spordes Castle Slanes . ancient castle in Ballyspurge townland in 1595
PNNI V2 p 116
Spotted Cow Newtownards . a commercial hotel in Castle St, Newtownards ; the proprietor in 1846 was Hans Purze POD
Springfield Magheradrool . farm; 2km NE of Ballynahinch; residence of William Fergie at his death in 1780, John Coffey 4 Sep 1794 & Wallace family in 1868
old b/w map O 10; BPCR; NS; MIs
Springfield Magheralin 20: 11/58 farm; in Ballymacateer townland  .
Springfield House/ Villa Kilkeel . in Aughnaloopy townland; built after 1835; residence of James Hamilton Esq in 1856 then rented to Rev. George Nesbitt; James Morgan in 1901
census/HPA p48,69,112,142,173,174
Springfield House or
Springhall
Magheralin 20: 15/54 farmhouse in Ballykeel townland; 3km NE of Donaghcloney village; held by Waddel family in 1777 & 1813
PNNI V6 p 218; IIW
Springfield House Drumgath . farm; 1km W of Rathfriland
old b/w map E10
Springfield Manse Newtownards . residence of Rev. W. WRight in 1893
BWN
Springfield Villa Kilkeel 29: 29/16 farm, in Drumcro townland, 2km NW of Kilkeel town; residence of James Hamilton Esq. & Rev. George Nesbitt in 1856 & John Hamilton Quinn c. 1870
POD; MO 8/8/2007 p10
Spring Grove Newry . house & farm of 123 acres ; in Damolly townland; 3km NE of Newry town; leased by Edward G.Howard in 1863 from James P. Gore
old b/w map B8; GV
Springhill Bangor . farm; 1km SW of Bangor; residence of Hugh Adair c. 1860 & Michael Shiels in 1902
old b/w map V6; PPNZ; POD
Spring Hill Dromore 20: 21/55 farm; 2km NE of Dromore
Spring Hill Donaghcloney 20: 11/53 farm; in Annaghanoon townland
Springhill Greyabbey . residence of Mr. Henry Miller 21 Mar 1828 & Mr. Henry Millin in 1842
NCT; BU 4/11/1842
Spring Hill Magheradrool . just W of Spa; residence of Mr. Thomas Steed in 1862 & Miss Stead in 1910
old b/w map M10; NLAT; POD
Spring Hill Magheralin . near Lurgan; residence of David Bell in 1879
MIs
Spring Hill Fort Newry 29: 8/29 ancient rath; 2km N of Newry town
Springmount Comber 21: 41/64 house farm of 52 acres ; 2km W of Ballygowan; leased by Peter Barry in 1863 from Messrs. May & Butson; residence of Mr. Martin, manager of Walker's Spinning Mill in 1920
GV; SHM '86 p 24
Spring Mount Dromore 20: 26/50 farm; 4km NW of Dromara town; residence of James McCully Esq. in 1824
POD
Springvale Annahilt 20: 31/58 farm; W of Ballynahinch on the Lisburn road

Springvale

Spring Vale

Ballywalter a townland of 356 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; its ancient name was Ballymagowan; in 1659 there were 10 Scots/English & 0 Catholic families here & the proprietor was John Hamilton Esq.; proprietor Major George Matthews in 1836 & 1843 of Springvale House V17 p 125,126 & V7 p16 OSM; POD; SP; O'L V1 p 430; PNNI V2 p 71
Springvale House Ballywalter . house & farm of 403 acres in Springvale townland; a large building surrounded by fir trees; residence of /hugh Montgomery Esq. in 1707 & Rev. Hans Montgomery in 1726 & Major George Matthews in 1836 & 1843; land ‘in Chancery’ mansion house & demesne 29 Mar 1845; residence of Andrew Mulholland 12 Jan 1856 and called Ballywalter Park; held in fee by Andrew Mulholland in 1863
MIs; DR; GV; old b/w map W 13;
Springvale Donaghadee . residence of George Matthews Esq. 6 May 1845
AG
Springvale Cottages Knockbreda
.
2 houses in Castle View Rd, Knock in 1902
POD
Springvale Tullylish . 2km NE of Gilford; bleach green near Banford; established by Christy family & owned by Uprichard family by 1836
UF p 11; old b/w map G4; BCT p 10
Spring Valley Annahilt . farm; 4km NE of Annahilt village
old b/w map N 7
Springwell Port Kilkeel 29: 38/21 small bay in the Irish Sea, 1km N of Annalong
Sprucefield Blaris . farm; 1km S of Lisburn; a spinning mill here in 1886
old b/w map N6; POD
Square (The) Kilcoo 29: 27/33 farm ;1km W of Kilcoo
Squeeze Gut Ballyculter . a sunken walkway between Strangford & Old Court Chapel ; photo available
Inv 2007 cover; Inv 2012 p17
Squires Rock Saintfield 20: 38/59 farm; 2km due west of Saintfield, south of the Lisburn road
Srupatrick Kilkeel . a small river which forms the NE boundary of this parish
PNNI V3 p 185
Stags Head Bangor
.
in Bridge St, Bangor, opposite the Esplanade in 1902
OS map 2.05
Stalheim Knockbreda
.
in Hawthornden Rd, Knock ; residence of W.H.F. Patterson in 1902
POD
Stand House Hillsborough . farm; near Maze Racecourse; 4kmNW of Hillsborough town
old b/w map L4
Stanfield House Comber 21: 42/70 farm; 3km W of Comber
Stang Clonduff 29: 25/30 a townland on the slopes of Mt. Kinnahall & Slieve Muck in the Mournes, 5km E of Hilltown; 1783 acres; click here to see its position on a townland map; means " a measure of land" ; first mentioned in the annuls in 1542 when it was advertised for sale; held by Arthur Magennis of Rathfriland in 1609; granted to Hieronim Alexander of Dublin in 1639 & Hill family in 1657; held by Marquis of Downshire in 1863
TC p31; PNNI V3 p 72 , 93; DDPP p105; GV
Stang Tops Clonduff 29: 25/31 in the NW foothills of the Mournes, 4km NE of Hilltown
Stanley Buildings Holywood . 2 houses Holywood Rd, Strandtown in 1902 POD
Stanley House Holywood house & yard in Holywood townland; residence of Hugh Rea in 1859; leased by Hugh Rea in 1863 from John Burgoyne; funeral of late Dr. Richard Binney, rector of Bangor 22 Jan 1876 PR; GV; DR
Stannus Grove Moira 20: 19/58 farm; 4km SW of Hillsborough; in Ballyknock townland
PNNI V6 p 298
Steadly Kilbroney . house & 1 acre in Rostrevor townland, leased by David Stead in 1863 from James Roxburgh
GV
Steamboat Quay Saul . on Quoile River in Lisbane townland
O'L V1 p 231
Steamville Drumballyroney . farm; 3km NW of Rathfriland
old b/w map D9
Steersman's Pad Dunsford . on the coast; near mill stream
DR* 6 Oct 1915R
Steps Bridge Magheralin 20: 13/59 over river Lagan ,1km E of Magheralin; residence of Joshua McCoy c. 1880
PNNI V6 p 228, 254 ; PPNZ
Stetrick Island Ardkeen see Sketrick Island
Stinker Rock Tyrella 21: 45/35 in Dundrum Bay, W of Tyrella Beach
Stinking Burn Holywood . stream running just NE of Holywood village
V7 p 74 OSM ,map
Stinking Port Ballytrustan 21: 65/53 rocky cove in Kearny townland, 4km NW of Portaferry on Irish Sea
Stinkinh Rock Killinchy caora.com
Stirk Island Bangor
15:60/86 
small island between Lighthouse & Mew Islands in Irish Sea 
.
Stokestown Ballee . original name for Ballystokes townland before 1865; named after Galfrid de Stocks , a Norman
LM 1983 p21
Stonehall Comber . residence of H. Gelston in 1899
POD
Stone Island Ballee 21: 53/39 farm, in Jordan's Crew townland; site of an ancient pillar stone; bought by Capt. John Waring Maxwell Hughes in 1895 who lived there until his death in 1906

O'L V1 p 166; DS 2008 p64; LM 1985 p38

Stone Park Bright . in Erenagh townland; residence of Dr. MacMullan in 1768
O'L V1 p 160
Stonybatter Magheralin . local name for crossroads in Tullynacross townland
PNNI V6 p 251, 254
Stoneycroft Kilkeel . near Annalong; residence of A. Pue in 1910
POD
Stoneyford Blaris . in Killultagh near Lisburn; residence of Joseph Fulton in 1805
FP
Stoneypoint ? . residence of Josph Bell in 1798
IIW V4 p 9
Storm Mount
Stormont Castle
Dundonald 15:40/75 house & farm of 215 acres, in Ballymiscaw townland, 2km ENE of Dundonald village; means 'crossing place of the Mountains' in Irish; built by Rev John Cleland c. 1809; described as a large plain house with little planting; residence of Samuel Jackson Cleland Esq. in 1834 & John Cleland in 1886; today it is called Stormount Castle and is used as the parliament house;b/w drawing of old house available
LR 2010 p52; V7 p 65, 66 OSM; FSFD p51+; GV;POD; TMUOP p135; MOA p322
Straight Rocks Kilkeel 29: 35/17 rocky coast in Irish Sea, 1km NE of Ballymartin village
Stramore Tullylish . a marshy area of reclaimed bog where cattle graze in summer PNNI V6 p 354
Stramore House Tullylish 2km W of Gilford in Loughans townland; built in 1694 by the Crozier family; used by John Nicholson as a barracks for the Yeomanry, a group of men, mostly Orangemen recruited by the landed gentry on behalf of the government during the 1798 Rebellion; later the estate passed through the hands of the Quaker linen producers; residence of James Christy senior in 1817 & John Nicholson in 1824 & John Christy in 1841 & Roddin Nicholson in 1846 & Rawdon Hawtonville Nicholas c. 1860 & Hugh Watson in 1871 & Arthur Sinton in 1910 & 1919 BCT p 13 BIH p H; old b/w map F3; PNNI V6 p 345, 354; IIW V4 p30; POD ; PPNZ; MIs
Stramore Lodge Tullylish . near Gilford; residence of Brice Crozier in 1843 & Rev. John Armstrong Crozier in 1898 & Mr Montgomery in 1910 PE; OFB p124 ; POD
Stranahan Memorial Hall Kilmegan . used by Castlewellan Presbyterian congregation 28 Aug 1937 DR*
Strand Bright 21: 53/38 a townland 3km W of Ardglass; click here to see its location on a townland map; proprietor Lord Bangor in 1836 V17 p 34 OSM
Strandforeland Terrace Holywood . 2 houses in Strandtown ; owned by James Entwhistle in 1863 GV
Strandtown Holywood townland of 335 acres & village; the proprietor in 1834 was Lord Northland whose agent was Mr Watson of Belfast; there were 36 houses; 26 families employed in agriculture , 3 in trade; 68 males & 63 females; 13 servants in 1834; National School & railway line here in 1863; Church of Ireland here; since early 19th centrury wealthy merchants from Belfast moved here; mystery 24 Sep 1892 (NC) V7 p 77 OSM; GV; GIC ; OS map 1902 4.08 ;NC
Strandtown Cottage Holywood . a house & 15 acres in Strandtown ; residence of Theobald Bushell in 1852; leased by Thomas Bushell in 1863 from Thomas McClure POD; GV
Strandtown House Holywood . a house built early 19th century & 4 acres in Strandtown ;leased by David Anderson in 1863 from Thomas McClure; residence of shipowner James Heyn in 1902 (for sale) GV ; OS map 1902 4.08 ; POD
Strandtown Lodge Holywood . in Holywood Rd, Strandtown; residence of Charles Duffin in 1886 & Misses Duffin in 1902 POD
Strandview Cottage Kilcoo . house, yard & garden in Shore Rd, Newcastle; leased by Elizabeth H. Walker in 1863 from Joseph Maxwell; residence of Miss Stratton in 1863
GV; POD
Straney's Spital Bright . spital means 'hospital' & Straney is the name of the farmer whose field it was in; near Coniamstown House O'L V1 p 144

Strangford
Lower & Upper

Ballyculter a village and 2 townlands of 261 & 277 acres; click here for a photo and more information; click here to see its location on a townland map .
Strangford Castle Ballyculter . a small 16th century tower-house strategically placed for the defence of Strangford Harbour and incoporating the remains of an earlier building; also used as a warehouse; click here for a photo LWAG p 41 : HMNI p108
Strangford House Ballyculter . in Castle St, Strangford; a fine Georgian house built in 1789 for Mr Norris, a Customs official; residence of William Robert Ward in 1868 & Rev. James Hogan in 1898 & Ellen Hogan from 1899 & Rev. Edward Rooke in 1901; owned by Col. B. Ward in 1898 then sold to Lord de Ros; residence of Rev. C.S. Butler in 1904, Lady de Ros in 1906, S.F. Savage-Armstrong in 1907 & Raymond Savage- Armstrong in 1908 ; b/w photo available BB p 1; LR 2013 p67, 71 (photo) ; Inv 2006 p43; LR 2007 p56
Strangford Lodge Ballyculter . residence of James Charles Blackwood in 1842 Banner of Ulster
Strangford Lough Co Down . large lake between the Ards peninsula and Castlereagh; opening into the Irish Sea; its ancient name mentioned on a manuscript of 1701 was Lough Coen or Cuan; 3 lives lost in boatingaccident 24 Aug 1889; 3 bodies missing in disaster 5 Nov 1892; 4 lives lost 14 Apr 1900 V7 p 89 OSM; NC; PNNI V2 p 5; LM 1996 p16
Strangford Park Balyculter
.
Rev. Samuel Livingston ran a school here in 1846 POD
Strangford View Dundonald
.15:44/76
farm; 2km NE of Dundonald village; 140 m above sea level .
Stranghan’s Hill Inch in Ballyrenan townland; article 29 May 1852 DR
Strasburg Terrace Knockbreda row of 8 houses in Albertbridge Rd, Belfast in 1902 POD
Strathfoyle Knockbreda
.
in Hawthornden Rd, Knock; residence of Mrs Simpson in 1902
POD
Strathleven Holywood . residence of Andrew McCowatt in 1879
MIs
Strathmore Kilbroney . residence of Francis Horner Esq. J.P. in 1881
PPNZ; POD
Strawberry Hall Knockbreda . in Ballymacarrett; residence of Gawn Davison Esq. in 1852
POD
Straw Hill Donaghcloney 20: 12/54 on the edge of Donaghcloney town; residence of William Boyce in 1787
IIW V4 p14. 
Stream Patrick Kilkeel . forms the NE boundary of this parish PNNI V3 p 185
Strean Newtownards a Presbyterian church opened 1 Jun 1867 DR; GIPR
Stricklands Glen Bangor . on the coast; formerly owned by Col. R.G. Sharman-Crawford ; bought by Urban Council in 1913 for parkland
Bangor p1,12
Strife Rock Killinchy 21: 55/58 in Strangford Lough,1km E of Pawl Island  

Struel Wells
Struele Wells

Down 21: 51/45 a townland 3km E of Downpatrick; 365 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; click here for a photo and more information V17 p 53, 57 ,61 OSM: DR:HMNI p113: O'L V1 p 248 & B p 140, 596
Struell House Down 21: 50/44 farm, 1km E of Downpatrick
Stubby Hill Annahilt 20: 31/58 just W of the Ballynahinch to Lisburn road
Studley House Kilbroney . in Rostrevor; residence of William Bradyin 1910
POD
Stump Hill Kilmore 21: 45/55 hill ;3km N of Crossgar
Suffical Quarter Inch 21: 45/47 one of the 5 quarters of Annacloy townland, on Annacloy river; 4km NW of Downpatrickl means ' the low strawberry'
GV; LR 2009 p51
Summerfield Dundonald . house & farm of 48 acres in Ballymiscaw townland; residence of Robert Gordon Esq.; large land owner from 1809 -1836; residence of Robert Gordon in 1852; held in fee by Robert Alexander Gordon in 1863 & 1886; now Knock Golf Club
V7 p 65 OSM ; GV;POD; TMUOP p113, 162; R8/19 CBSA; OS map 1902 5.09; MIs
Summer Hill Annahilt 20: 32/59 farm; on Ballynahinch to Lisburn road near Cargacreevy
Summerhill Bangor . farm in Ballygrainey townland; meeting re agricultural depression 2 Mar 1895; residence of James Knox 22 Jun 1895 NC
Summer Hill Donaghcloney . farm; 1km W of Waringstown in Corcreany townland; residence of William Campbell c. 1870 old b/w map H2; PPNZ
Summer Hill Down 21: 43/41 farm, in Ballykeel townland; home of the Newell family in 1842 & 1885 & T. Robinson in 1910 MID p53, 161; POD
Summer Hill Dromore 20: 25/54 farm; 5km E of Dromore
Summer Hill Holywood/ Dundonald . house & garden in Killeen townland; residence of John Cuddy in 1852; leased by Samuel Black in 1863 from Robert Herret POD; GV
Summer Hill Tullylish 20: 8/55 farm; 5km N of Tullylish town
Summer Hill Warrenpoint . residence of Robert Hanley in 1892 & Robinett Grandy , an auctioneer in 1897
MIs; OFN p 49
Summerville Seapatrick . farm; 3km SE of Banbridge
old b/w map G7
Sunbeam Villas Holywood . in Victoria Rd, Holywood ; residence of William Hume in 1902 POD
Sunday Well Killyleagh . 3km W of Killyleagh town
old b/w map Q12
Sunnybank Bangor in Seacliff Rd, Bangor in 1902 POD
Sunnybank Holywood . in Strandtown; residence of Mrs Martha Mulligan in 1897
OFB p26. 
Sunnyhill Newtownards .
residence of Thomas McCreedy in 1910
JUAHS 2011 p31
Sunnymead Knockbreda
.
in Kings Rd, Knock ; residence of F.J. Deane in 1902
POD
Sunnyside Cottage Bangor in Princetown Rd, Bangor; residence of J.M. Cochran in 1902 POD
Sunnyside Inishargy . in Kircubbin; residence of Mrs. M.A. Munce in 1910
GV
Sunnyside Kilcoo . in Newcastle; residence of Rev. J. H. Seymour in 1884
POD
Sunnyside Magheradrool . a parcel of ground with 9 dwelling houses near Ballynahinch; sold to Mr Joseph Porter of Lisburn 15 Feb 1926
DR
Sunny Vale Annahilt 20: 23/58 farm; 5km NW of Ballynahinch on the Lisburn road
Swan Island Ballyculter 21: 59/50 near Strangford town ; a well known landmark & shipping hazard; shipping casualty ketch 'Happy Return' stranded 22 Jan 1881; discovery of headless body near Swan Island 16 May 1915; rookeries here at low tide; old photo available LWAG p42 &V17 p26 OSM; DR; LR 2005 p28; LM 1993 p44
Swan Island Down . 2km W of Downpatrick; in Quoile River near Hollymount
old b/w map N 13; LR 2005 p28
Swan Island/Rock Saul 21: 46/45 on Quoile river, 2km W of Downpatrick
Swineley Point & Bay Bangor 15:48/82 1km NNE of Crawfordsburn; in Belfast Lough
BM
Sycamore Bridge Drumbeg 20: 29/65 railway bridge over line from Belfast to Lisburn  .
Sycamore Farm Holywood 15:41/78 farm; 2km SE of Holywood town .
Sycamore Lodge Bright 21: 52/37 farm, 2km NW of Killough town
Sydenham Holywood 15:37/75 railway station & village between Belfast & Holywood
NWAG p37
Sydenham Cottage Holywood . house & 1 acre in Strandtown ;leased by Daniel Boyd in 1863 from Henry Nichol GV
Sydenham House Holywood . house & 2 acres in Strandtown ; owned by William T. Waterson in 1863 ; residence of Robert Ferguson in 1886 GV ; POD
Sydenham Lodge Holywood . house & 1 acre in Holywood Rd, Strandtown ;leased by Edward Scott in 1863 from James Hewitt ; residence of H.C. Craig in 1902 GV
Sydenham Park Holywood . 2 houses in Strandtown ;owned by Thomas & Lawson Browne in 1863 GV
Sydenham Terrace Holywood . 3 houses in Strandtown ; owned by James C. Gregg in 1863 GV
Sydenham Ville Holywood . 2 houses in Strandtown ; owned by John Browne jnr in 1863 GV
Sylvan Hill Dromore 20: 18/56 farm, 3km SW of Dromore in Greenoge townland; hilly part
PNNI V6 p 129