Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Lackan, Drumballyroney
Ros Davies'
Co. Down, Northern Ireland Family History Research Site
© Rosalind Davies 2001
Permission granted to reprint research for non-profit use only
Creghtons Scutch Mill, Leapogues

Place Names of Co. Down: L....

La.......Le.......Li.......Lo.......Lough......Low.Lu.......Ly.......

Place Names Parish Information Reference
Labrynth Cottage Magheradrool . just W of Spa village old b/w map M 10
Labrynth View Magheradrool . in Spa; residence of Miss Anna Kelly in 1910 POD
Lackan
Lacken
Lackin
Drumballyroney a townland 1km S of Ballyroney village; 722 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' small flagstone'; owned by O'Roney family c. 1609; Ballyroney village in this townland; proprietor L. Wallace Esq.; tenant Mrs. Murphy in 1836; lake; corn & flax mill on river Bann ; Presbyterian Meeting House here; a flow bog here; Football match 5 Nov 1887, Hilltown v. Ballyroney , the local team was J. Small, S. Gillespie, W. Crothers & Capt. Johnson; ancient stone axe & dug-out tree canoe found here in the bog V3 p 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 OSM; GIC; GAA CS p22; PNNI V6 p 167; IPP p 10, 37
Lacken House Drumnallyroney . residence of John Kenedy in 1886 POD
Lackington Drumballyroney . farm; residence of John Murphy Esq. in 1819
POD
Lady's Bridge Moira . over River Lagan; 2km NE of Moira town in Drumbane townland; residence of William Douglas Bullick in 1862 & Henry Boyle in 1910
old b/w map K2; PR; POD
Ladys Port Ardquin 21: 57/56 in Strangford Lough, small inlet 5km NW of Portaferry
Lagananny Blaris Lagan River named after this mountainous district V12 p 28 OSM
Laganany Donaghcloney River Lagan named after this townland V12 p 57 OSM
Lagan Cottage Donaghcloney . farm; 3km SE of Waringstown
old b/w map H4
Lagandale Dromore 20: 24/51 farm; 6km SE of Dromore
Lagangreen Bridge Dromore 20: 25/52 over river Lagan; 4km E of Dromore; farms
Lagan Lodge/Cottage Dromore . just N of Dromore; residence of Mr Thomas McMurray in 1836 & 1846 & 1851 & Waldron Burrowes J.P. in 1862 & 1880 ; owned by Hannah Hobart in 1876 wirg 53 acres; residence of Henry Hobart in 1910
V12 p 72 OSM; POD; Registry of Deeds, Dublin; NLAT; LOI;Irish Times
Lagan Lodge Lambeg . residence of Robert Wilson in 1852
POD
Lagan Navigational Canal Hillsborogh area . opened in 1794 with a large number of quays along it;a towpath for horses to pull the barges was beside it; the railways took over its trade c.1863; remained open until 1954; photo available
ODHD p39
Lagan View Moira 20: 15/59 farm; on bank of river Lagan,2km S of Moira; residence of James Hammond in 1910
POD
Lagan Village Knockbreda . near Ballymacarrett .
Laganawagh Aghaderg . alternate spelling for Legananny townland in Subsidy Roll of 1663 PNNI V6 p 43
Laggegewan Saintfield . ancient name for Leggygowan townland SP;SHM '94 p55
Lagnagoppoge Ballyculter 21: 58/47 a townland 3km S of Strangford town; 221 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' flat stony place of the dockens'; potatoes, wheat, oats, barley & a little flax grown in 1836 V17 p 30 OSM: Inv p 45 & 2001 p 10; Inv 2010 p3 (OS map 1830s)
Lairds Close Drumgooland 20: 23/41 farm; near Cloghskelt
Lakehill Magheradrool . farm; 1km SW of Spa
old b/w map L10
Lake Hotel Aghaderg . in Loughbrickland; known as McClory's Lake Hotel run by Peter & Rose McClory until c. 1905 ; the proprietor in 1910 was E. Maguire POD
Lake House Down . 7 Woodgrange Road, Downpatrick, overlooking Ballyduggan Lough ; an early Victorian cottage remodelled in 1890s ; associated with Ballyduggan Mill then residence of Archdeacon of Downpatrick Cathedral
East Down Asdvertiser Issue 136 Feb 2014 p1
Laketown Garvaghy . a cluster of houses near Shanrod Lough in Shanrod townland
PNNI V6 p 205
Lakeview Aghaderg . farm, near Scarva; residence of James A. Warwick in 1910 POD
Lakeview Farm Aghaderg . farm, near Loughbrickland; residence of W. Ledlie in 1910 POD
Lakeview Annahilt 20: 31/58 farm; W of Ballynahinch on Lisburn road
Lakeview Donaghcloney 20: 8/56 farm in Corcreeny townland; 1km NW of Waringstown
old b/w map H3
Lakeview House Donaghmore . owned by John Marshall in 1876 with 14 acres; residence of John Marshall in 1878 & Henry Clements in 1889
LOI; AIPD; OFN p 23
Lakeview Down . near Downpatrick; residence of Major C. C. Johnstone in 1886
POD
Lakeview Dromara 20: 53/52 farm; overlooks Dunbeg Lough
Lakeview Dromore . farm in Growell townland; residence of James Ferguson in 1910
POD
Lakeview House Drumgooland 20: 23/43 farm; 4km N of Moneyslane village in Cloghskelt; residence of John Doyle in 1901 & James Doyle c. 1904
Irish World NY
Lakeview Cottage Holywood . in Circular Rd, Strandtown; residence of Samuel McQuillan in 1902
POD
Lake View Inishargy . house & farm of 10 acres in Kircubbin townland, just NE of Kircubbin; leased by William Shaw in 1863 from Robert Hayes; residence of W.E. Carrick in 1910
old b/w map V13; POD
Lake View Killaney 20: 35/61 farm; in Boardmills townland
Lakeview Magheradrool . in Ballynahinch; residence of A.T. Clarke J.P. in 1910
POD
Lake View Magherally 20: 14/50 farm; 4km SE of Donaghcloney village
Lakeview Newtownards . residence of Thomas R. Laverty JP in 1900
Irish World NY
Lakeview Saintfield . 5 acre farm in Carsontown; residence of John & Nicholas Price in 1837
Brian Price
Lake View Shankill . near Lurgan; owned by Francis Watson in 1876 with 7 acres
LOI
Lalghar Knockbreda . in Knock Rd, Knock; site of Knock Intermediate School in 1902
POD
Lallenynranny Kilkeel . alternate name for Ballinran townland in 1552 PNNI V3 p 21, 23
Lambeg Lambeg 20: 27/66 2 townlands & a small parish; partly in Co. Antrim; on river Lagan between Belfast & Lisburn;click here to see its location on a townland map ; Bishops lands which paid £8 in 1744; meeting of inhabitants 12 Jan 1793; bleach green robbery 17 Feb 1849; bleach works of Messrs. Richardson near Lisburn in 1886 NS; V17 p 118 OSM:O'L B p 320; DR;POD
Lambeg House Lambeg . near Lisburn; residence of Jonathan Richardson in 1886 POD
Lambs Island Donaghcloney 20: 11/52 farm on hill with ancient fort; 3km SW of Donaghcloney town; in Annaghanoon townland which translate ' marsh of the lamb'; residence of John Sherrard junior in 1821
PNNI V6 p 84, 100 ; CSO
Lambs Lough Ardglass 21: 56/37 on the coast; just S of Ardglass
Lamoney Ballee . alternate spelling for Loughmoney townland in Rent Roll of 1799
LR 2993 p 47
Lane (The) Saul . in Saul townland, east of Moneybot
PE
Laneview Donaghcloney . farm; 3km SE of Waringstown
old b/w map H3
Laney (The) Kilkeel . house in Annalong; residence of Elizabeth Cousins in 1946
PR
Langford Lodge Blaris area . residence of Colonel Pakenham 16 Aug 1834
NH
Lany Moira 20: 19/60 farm; near river Lagan, 4km E of Moira in Ballyknock townland; means' water meadow'; Lany House & Lany Fort here
PNNI V6 p 297
Lappoges Dromore 20: 25/52 a townland 5km E of Dromore; 330 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means ' beds of the warrior bands'; formerly in Kilwarlin parish; flax mill there in 1836; click here for a photo of Creighton's scutch mill
PNNI V6 p 133; V 12 p 72 OSM
Laraderg Tullylish . alternate spelling for Lenaderg townland PNNI V6 p 343
Larchfield Annahilt 20: 30/58 6km SE of Lisburn; residence of Daniel Mussenden in 1798; demesne & residence of Mr William Mussenden, large land owner in 1852; 26 landholders; 12 weavers in 1836; public works instigated for famine relief with road upgrade to Ballynahinch 27 May 1848; owned by Ogilvie B. Graham in 1876 with 376 acres & also in 1886 DS 1998 p15; V12 p 23 & V7 p 37 OSM; FCD S2 p 9; LOI; POD
Larchfield Tullylish . farm; 3km NNW of Lawrencetown; residence of Thomas Lockhart, linen merchant, in 1824
old b/w G4 ; POD
Larch Hill Comber 21: 41/72 house & farm of 61 acres ;in Ballymaglaff townland, 2km S of Dundonald; leased by David McCutcheon in 1863 from Andrew Mulholland; residence of Mrs Holden in 1902
GV; POD
Larch Hill Dromore 20: 25/52 in Lappoge/Kinallan townland; 4km SE of Dromore; residence of Thomas Moorhead in 1869 & John Pollock in 1928
old b/w map J7; Will; MIs
Larchmount Blaris 20: 29/60 farm; 4km SE of Lisburn; residence of Mrs. Carey McClellan Esq. in 1856
BWN
Larganbane Dromore . alternate spelling for Lurganbane townland in 1650 census PNNI V6 p 137
Largangreen Bridge Dromore . over a stream; 3km NW of Dromara town old b/w map J7
Larganville Moira . farm; 3km SE of Moira town old b/w map J3
Largecanty Clonallan . alternate spelling for Lurgancanty townland in 1672 PNNI V1 p 78
Large Park Hillsborough a townland of 984 acres; part of the demesne; click here to see its location on a townland map; mill here; the proprietor was Marquis of Downshire in 1836; described as having woods with large oak, beech, ash & fir trees; an excellent farmyard with a corn mill attached, an artificial lake with wild fowl V12 p 96, 99 OSM

Largymore
Lower & Upper

Blaris 20:28/63 a townland 1km S of Lisburn; 792 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map ; in 1836 the applotters were John Woods Jun, Thomas Carleton Jun, William Clark & William Kelsey; appraisers were Arthur Cahoon & John Mercer; Largymore House here; police station here with Sgt. William Hughes in charge in 1889 V12 p 40 OSM; old b/w map N6; RICLD p116
Larkfield Cottages Holywood . in Palmerston Rd, Holywood; 4 attached houses in 1902
POD
Larkhill Magheradrool . farm; 2km S of Ballynahinch; residence of Mrs. Craig in 1828
old b/w map M10; NCT; BN
Latalian Kilcoo . alternate spelling for Letalian townland in 1830
PNNI V3 p 111
Laughan Tullylish . alternate spelling for Loughans townland in 1659 census
PNNI V6 p 344
Launches Long Island Little Saul 21: 54/50 2 islands in Strangford Lough, 5km WNW of Strangford town; 9 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Lord Bangor in 1836; see Little Launches Island:
Laurel Bank Knockbreda . villa in Barnetts Rd, Knock; residence of S.M. Irwin in 1902
POD; OS map 1902 5.09
Laurel Bridge Donaghcloney . over River Lagan; 5km SE of Waringstown
old b/w map H5
Laurel Cottage Knockbreda . house at corner of Upper Braniel Road & Mann's Road Q12/25 CBSA
Laurel Hill Drumgooland 29: 25/37 farm, 3km SW of Ballyward village
Laurel Hill Hillsborough 20: 28/59 farm; in Ballyworfy townland
Laurel Hill Saintfield 20:37/60 farm; 4km NW of Saintfield on the Lisburn road; residence of John Barnett in 1749 & William Walker Esq. in 1824
SHM '98 p 1; POD
Laurel Lodge Bangor . house & large garden in Maxwell Rd, Bangor; residence of Mrs Lepper c. 1910
Bangor p 42; OS map 1902 2.05
Laurel Lodge Donaghcloney 20:13/ 52 farm; 2km S of Donaghcloney
Laurel Lodge Holywood . house & 2 acres in Victoria Rd, Strandtown ;owned by Sarah Greer in 1863; residence of J.S. Dudley in 1902 GV ; POD
Laurel Lodge Magheradrool 20: 33/53 farm; 4km W of Ballynahinch on Dromore road
Laurel Lodge Newry . house & 1 acre on Downshire Road, Newry ; owned by Elizabeth Creek in 1863 but unoccupied; residence of Miss Mary MacDonnell in 1881
GV; POD
Laurel Vale Blaris 20: 26/62 farm: 3km S of Lisburn
Laurel Vale Drumbo 20: 33/63 farm; 3km SE of Drumbo
Laurel Vale Hillsborough . farm; 2km NNW of Hillsborough town old b/w map L4
Laurels (The) Knockbreda . on old Gilnahirk Rd, Gilnahirk; residence of N. F. Harper in 1941 (woollen merchant) ACG p118
Laurencetown Lawrencetown Tullylish 20: 9/59
village; 4km SW of Banbridge; formerly called Hall’smill; named after Col. Lawrence; Catholic chapel here; bleach mills; bridge over River Bann; school here in 1836; sinking a shaft for coal 12 Oct 1872; violent assault on Sunday school excursion 6 Sep 1873; the town polulation in 1910 was 90
V12 p 141,142,147 OSM: DR; UHF V20; PNNI V6 p 350; POD
Laurencetown
Lawrencetown House
Tullylish . built by Col. Richard Laurence c. 1680; residence of James Christy Esq in 1819 & Capt. Bowen in 1846 & Alexander J.R. Stewart in 1852 & 1862; Laurencetown House for sale by auction 14 Apr 1866; residence of William Edmund O'Reilly in 1872 & James Law in 1910 BCT p 10; POD; DR; OFB p137
Lauriston Knockbreda . in Kings Rd, Knock; residence of A. Gibson in 1902
POD
Lavery's Bridge Moira . over a stream; 5km E of Moira town; just S of River Lagan; now replaced by Nut Hill Bridge over motorway old b/w map ; PNNI V6 p 273
Lavorick Saintfield area . there was a Reading Society here in 1830; could be Leverogue SHM '86 p 45
Lawid Clonduff . alternate spelling for Leode townland in Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V3 p 92
Lawn (The) Hillsborough . residence of Henry Bell in 1910 POD
Law's Bridge Kilmroe . 1km S of Crossgar village old b/w map O11
Lead Hill Knockbreda . house & 40 acres in Castlereagh townland; leased by James Robinson in 1863 from Marquis of Downshire GV
Leanamount Magheralin . farm; right on the Co Armagh border; 3km NW of Magheralin old b/w map J 1
Leans Shankill residence of Brice Blair in 1798 & William Ellis in 1801 IIW V4 p12, 40
Leapokes Dromore alternate spelling for Lappoges townland PNNI V6 p 134
Leathad Clonduff . alternate spelling for Leode townland in 1834
PNNI V3 p 92
Leatrim Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Leitrim townland in 1806
PNNI V2 p 46
Leaward Knockbreda . house & lodge in Hawthornden Rd, Knock; residence of Mrs Mitchell in 1902
POD; OS map 1902 5.09
Lecale . . a district around Downpatrick, Strangford & Killough
LR 2005 p22 & 2007 p5
Lecale House Down . in Market St, Downpatrick; shop & residence of Morrison family c. 1915; photo available
LM 1999 p34
Le Cardy Greyabbey . alternate name for Cardy townland in 1636
PNNI V2 p 206
Leckan Drumballyroney . alternate spelling for Lackan townland
PNNI V6 p 168
Leckan More
Leckanbeg
Kilbroney 29: 18/22 mountains; in The Mournes, 3km N of Rostrevor; means 'big hillside & little hillside'
old b/w map C11.; PNNI V1 p 158 & V3 p 144 
Leclerin Dromore . a lost townland thought to be between Backnamullagh & Drumaknockan
PNNI V6 p 105, 127
Leeburn Seapatrick . residence of Jonathan Matchett, thread manufacturer in 1843
POD
Leenan Donaghcloney . an ancient hamlet in Annaghanoon townland in 1703
PNNI V6 p 85
Lee Stone Harbour Kilkeel 29: 33/15 in Irish Sea 2km NE of Kilkeel town
PNNI V3 p 61 
Lee Stone Point Kilkeel 29: 33/15 in Irish Sea, rock at Northern end of Lee Stone Harbour in Maghereagh; steamer Eleanor wrecked 27 Jan 1881
PNNI V3 p 61 ; BoTWR/MB
Legacorry Drumbo . see under Legacurry .
Legacurry Drumbo 20: 30/60 a townland of 100 acres; bridge over Ravernet river;click here to see its location on a townland map; means “the Cauldron Hollow”; the proprietor in 1833 was Lord Downshire whose agent was Mr Reilly of Hillsborough; 3 landholders; rent was 25-35 shillings an acre; a corn mill & a flax mill; land of middling quality; in 1833 there were 13 houses; 3 families were employed in agriculture & 3 in trade; 29 males & 39 females; 7 servants; Presbyterian church here; Legacurry Mill here; public works program instigated for famine relief with road upgrade to Ballynahinch 27 May 1848
V7 p 59 ,62 & V12 p2 OSM ; GIPR; GIC ; old b/w map N7; FCD S2 p 9
Legacurry Hills Drumbo . residence of Robert Morrow in 1862 POD
Legacurry Bridge Kilmore 21: 42/53 over the Ballynahinch river, 3km W of Crossgar; BH
Legaghory Shankill   a townland of 301 acres: in Co Armagh in 1999  
Legagorn Sanitfield   in 1837 there were 50 farms from 1-80 acres with 16 acres the average; I think this is a variantr spelling of Leggygowan V7 p 120 OSM
Legamaddy Bright a townland of 211 acres; 4km S of Downpatrick; click here to see its location on a townland map; originally called Carrowmalt; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to Patrick Shane 1637-16 & sublet to William Hamilton Esq. ; owned by Southwell Estate in 1752; bought by Ker family in 1835; Catholic church here; soiree 27 Dec 1879; school here LM 1985 p7, 53; DR; GIC; old b/w map N15; LM 1991 p27; DR* 3/12/03
Legamaddy House Bright 21: 48/40 farm, 5km S of Downpatrick; reidence of John Hutton in 1886
POD
Legan south Down . an ancient district; 23 townlands in Clonallan, Kilbroney & Warrenpoint ; held by Sir Art Magennis in 1609
PNNI V6 p 13 & V1 p 51
Leganabruchan Kilcoo 29: 37/28 in the Mourne Mountains; 4km S of Newcastle; means ' little hollow of the little brink'
PNNI V3 p 145 
Legananny Aghaderg 20: 9/43 2km W of Loughbrickland town; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means ' hollow of the marsh'; originally owned by the church; Dunboy House here
PNNI V6 p 43
Legananny Hillhead Aghaderg . farm; 2km W of Loughbrickland old b/w map E6
Leganany
Legananny
Drumgooland 20: 30/44 a townland 7km N of Castlewellan in Dromara Hills; 1894 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1659 Census it was called Legananu and there were 16 irish families only; by 1841 Census there were 130 families with 328 males & 367 females; flax mill here in 1836: ancient dolmen here , Boley Lough; V3 p25 OSM:MS WAG p87;DCPH p 47,49,131; BIHp Z; HMNI p91; IPP p 106; WDG p7
Legawherry (Pot of) Kilcoo . mountain in the Mournes ; means' hollow of the cauldron' N WAG p 39 ; PNNI V3 p 148
Legganamig Aghaderg . alternate spelling for Legananny townland in 1659 census PNNI V6 p 43
Leggancurry Drumbeg see under Legacurry .
Leggycorry Drumbo . see Legacurry .
Leggycurry Bridge Kilmore . just NW of Crossgar village; over railway line old b/w map P11
Leggigowan
Leggygowan
Saintfield 21: 42/57 a townland 3km SE of Saintfield on Crossgar road; click here to see its location on a townland map; 1165 acres; in 1659 the propietor was Neale Roe O'Kelly Esq; there was 1 English /Scots & 12 Catholic families then; small deep lake with trout, pike & eels in it;in 1837 there were 110 houses; 289 males & 302 females; best quality land; farms from 6-20 acres; rents from 20-30 shillings; the proprietor then was Sir Isaac Bomberry; Poor Law district population was 3266 in 30 Nov 1839; ; National School here in 1841 ;malicious burning C. McAllister 4 Nov 1848 SP; SHM '94 p55 & '86 p 32 & '90 p 30 ; V7 p 117, 119 OSM: DR; DR*
Legmore Moira 20: 13/62 a townland 2km W of Moira; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' big hollow'; belonged to O'Laverty clan in 1609; proprietor Sir R. Bateson in 1836; Legmore House here V12 p 120 OSM; old b/w map J2; PNNI V6 p 289, 290
Legnabeepa Garvaghy . a marsh in Tullyorior townland
PNNI V6 p 208
Legnaboe Dunsfort 21: 59/40 small bay on the coast ;2km S of Ballyhornan
Legnagappog Ballyculter 21: 58/47 see Lagnagoppoge
Leister's Fort Newry . in Lisserboy townland; a large ancient rath; named after a man interred ther who committed suicide
V3 p 106 OSM
Leistone Flu Kilkeel . alternate name for Lee Stone Point in 1595
PNNI V3 p 61
Leitrim Clonduff 29: 22/27 slopes of the Mournes, 3km SE of Hilltown; 2978 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means " grey ridge"; held by Welshman Rice ap Hughe in 1585 then granted to the see of Dromore in 1611 then the tenants claimed tenant rights & the King granted them leases forever; owned by Mary Mathews in 1641 then passed to her agent William Waring who sold 4 townlands (Ballyaughian, Ballymaghery, Ballynanny & Leitrim) to Narcissus Barr Esq. for £33,000 who evicted tenants who couldn't pay their rents; the mass rock called Priest's Mountain here; a hedge school here in 1825 with James Doyle as teacher; owned by Narcissus Batt Esq. in 1834; owned by Robert Batt in 1863; sold to the tenant farmers in 1912; photo available
TC p26;PNNI V3 p 69 , 90, 126; TC; DDPP p105; GV; CP 3/5/2012
Leitrim Bridge Clonduff 29: 21/28 over Leitrim River ;1km SE of Hilltown
Leitrim Hill Clonduff 29: 22/28 foothills of the Mournes, 2km SE of Hilltown
Leitrim Lodge Clonduff . erected by Narcissus Batt Esq. landlord & industrialist from Belfast, for use as a hunting lodge c. 1820
AR p 3; NR 30/6/2005 p67; TC p26
Leitrim River Clonduff 29: 21/27 rises in The Mournes and runs N into the river Bann near Hilltown
Leitrim Drumgooland 20: 30/41 village & townland of 1199 acres; 6km NE of Castlewellan; click here to see its location on a townland map;in 1659 Census it was called Lettrym & there were 17 Irish & 2 English/Scots families living here; by 1841 Census there were 551 people here with 15% receiving Famine relief; there were 103 families with 274 males & 277 females; ;there is the ruins of a Mass house here on the ancient Mass pad which traversed the parish; Presbyterian & Catholic churches here & Parochial House; corn & flax milling 1836 ; river; shocking murder of John McGrorey 10 Jan 1880; Fontenoys Gaelic Athletic Club strong in 1900s V3 p 22 OSM ; DCPH p 47, 49, 68, 131; DR; GIC ; 9/4/1928R*
Leitrim River Drumgooland 29: 32/39 runs from the Dromara Hills to Dundrum Inner Harbour
Leitrim Kilkeel a townland of 773 acres; click here to see its position on a townland map; means 'grey ridge';part of the Bagenal estate in 1552 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; in 1659 there were 8 Irish families livng here & the owner wasRichard Houston Esq.; discovery of iron, lead & silver ore 25/26 Jun 1875 SP: DR; PNNI V3 p 10, 46; MO 5/8/2009 p6
Leitrim Hill Kilkeel 29: 29/18 3km NW of Kilkeel town
Leitrim River Kilkeel 29: 29/18 rises on the slopes of The Mournes and runs S into the Aughrim River
Leitrim Upper Kilkeel a townland of 422 acres; click here to see its position on a townland map; means 'grey ridge' ; part of the Bagenal estate in 1552
PNNI V3 p 10, 46
Lemore Ardglass . residence of Mary Martin in 1851
IIW #41698
Lenaderg Tullylish 20: 11/49 a townland 4km E of Tullylish on river Bann; 335 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' red site'; originally belonged to the church; proprietor A. R. Stewart Esq in 1836.; 7 mills here in 1836; bleachworks of Messrs. William Smith/Smyth & Co here (photo available); mansions Milltown, Bellfield & Lenaderg here during linen industry times V12 p 143,146 OSM; BCT p 7; PNNI V6 p 342; OB p46-48
Lenaderg House Tullylish . residence of William Pettigrew Esq. in 1819 & Mr J. Davies in 1910 POD
Lenish Clonduff a townland of 343 acres ;click here to see its location on a townland map; means " Magennis land or' half island' "; held by by Arthur & Hugh Magennis in 1629 & 1639 then Hieronym Alexander of Dublin in 1634 & Hill family in 1657; flax mill here in 1836; owned by Marquis of Downshire in 1863; Gaelic football team here in 1888 TC p27; V3 p 3 OSM; PNNI V3 p 72, 91; DDPP p105;GV
Lenish Bridge Clonduff 29: 23/33 over stream near river Bann; 3km E of Rathfriland
Leode
Leoad
Clonduff 29: 18/29 a townland 3km W of Hilltown;click here to see its location on a townland map; 382 acres; means " grey sod on sloping land"; granted to Henry Smith of Co. Armagh in 1632 then James Lowth of Newry in 1636 for 31 years then in possession of William Hawkins in 1661 & his son, John in 1681; granted with other lands to Alderman John Hawkins 18 Sep 1682 then passed to the Meade family in 1765; there was a hedge school there c. 1820 ; Leode Hill was the bonfire site to make sure of a fine harvest ; click here for a photo
TC p28; PNNI V3 p 72, 91 
Lepanevian
Leppocks
Dromore . alternate spellings for Lappoges
PNNI V6 p 134
Lequirin west Co Down . an ancient district; 13 townlands in Dromore & Magheralin parishes; held by Sir Art Magennis in 1609
PNNI V6 p 13
Lerwood Clonduff . alternate name for Leode townland in Rent Roll of 1692
PNNI V3 p 92
Lesh Newry . residence of John Lowe in 1832
IIW # 39539
Lesnerye Newry . alternate spelling for Lisnaree townland on Bagnall Rent Roll of 1575
PNNI V1 p 31

Lessans

Lessons

Saintfield 20: 39/61 a townland of 492 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; 3km NW of Saintfield on the Carryduff Road; in 1659 there were 10 English/Scots & 8 Catholic families here ;there was a Reading Society here in 1830; in 1837 there were 32 houses; 96 males & 1-- females; best quality land; farms from 20-40 acres; rents from 20-30 shillings an acre; the proprietor then was Mr Price of Saintfield; a National School here in 1843
SP; SHM '94 p55 & '86 p 32, 45 & '90 p 30; V7 p118 OSM  
Lessans Cottage Saintfield . residence of George Alexander J.P. in 1862
POD
Lessans House Saintfield 21: 40/62 farm, 3km N of Saintfield
Lessenecrassane Newry . alternate name for Lisduff townland in Bagenal Rent Roll of 1575
PNNI V1 p 30
Lesser Carn Kilcoo 29: 36/28 near the top of Slieve Donard in the Mournes
Lessize Drumballyroney see Lissize V3 p 18 OSM
Letalian
Letallion
Lettullan
Kilcoo 29: 26/34 a townland 1km W of Kilcoo on Rathfriland road; 502 acres; means 'Aillin's grave or monument' ; click here to see its location on a townland map ; granted to Rory Magennis c. 1609
AR p2; PNNI V3 p 111
Lettenin
Letrim
Clonduff
. alternate spelling for Leitrim townland in 1659 census & Subsidy Roll of 1663 PNNI V3 p 90
Letters Greyabbey . an inn in Greyabbey ; the proprietor in 1846 was Jane Barnes
POD
Lettrim
Kilkeel
. alternate spelling for Leitrim townland in 1659 census SP
Levalleaghrosie ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM
Levalleravarra Killinchy   ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; possibly Ravara V17 p 123 OSM
Levallyclanone Levillyclenone Kilbroney a townland 1km N of Rostrevor; 145 acres; click here to see its position on a townland map; means ' half townland of Eighan's descendants'; originally owned by Magennis clan; proprietor David Ross Esq.in 1836;ancient cairn on Thunder hill; stone quarry V3 p29, 32, 36 OSM; PNNI V1 p 149
Levallymoylagh
Levallyvacke
Dromore . ancient names for Backnamullagh townland c. 1600 PNNI V6 p 109
Levallyreagh
Levollyreagh
Kilbroney a townland 3km NW of Rostrevor; 151 acres; click here to see its position on a townland map; means ' grey half townland '; originally owned by Magennis clan; proprietor N. Batt Esq. in 1836 V3 p32 OSM; PNNI V1 p 150
Levellyreagh
Levallyreagh
Dromara 20: 27/48 a townland 2km SW of Dromara; 507 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' grey half townland'; bog here V12 p 65 OSM
Levallystrade
Levallisrade
Kilbroney . name used for Kilbroney townland in 1659 census; owned by rector of Kilbroney in 1611
PNNI v1 p 135

Levarogue

Leveroge

Drumbo 20: 34/65 a small village & a townland; 1 km E of Drumbo on the Carryduff road; click here to see its location on a townland map; the proprietor in 1833 was Lord Downshire whose agent was Mr Reilly of Hillsborough; 16 landholders; rent was 30 shillings an acre; land middling quality; the village had 13 houses; school established 1826; in 1833 there were 35 houses; 18 families were employed in agriculture & 7 in trade; 74 males & 82 females; 6 servants;
V7 p 59, 63 & V12 p101 OSM  
Levins Warrenpoint . near Warrenpoint; residence of John Bellingham Esq. in 1812
Registry of Deeds, Dublin Vol 647 p384
Leyod Clonduff . alternate spelling for Leode townland in 1830
PNNI V3 p 92
Leystone River Kilkeel . alternate spelling Lee Stone
PNNI V3 o 61
Liberty Newry . residence of Ross Thompson Esq. in 1782 ; possibly an early name for Greenwood Park
PR
Liberty Hall Saintfield . Presbyterian manse; renamed by Rev. Thomas L. Birch in 1792 when he founded the United Irishmen; school here, supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Society in 1815 with 90 students attending
MS WAG p 6 ; HSSS
Liberty Hill Saintfield 21: 41/61 Presbyterian Manse 2km NE of Saintfield; in Ballycloghan; home of Rev. Thomas Ledlie Birch in 1784 & 1798; named for American Independence
SHM '98 p 22; MOA p279
Lieutenant Hill Newtownards 15:46/75 3km NW of Newtownards town  
Ligamaddy Bright proprietors were the heirs of Lord De Clifford in 1836 V17 p 34, 37 OSM
Lighthouse Island Bangor 15:60/86  40 acres; 2 km N of Copeland Island; the lighthouse was erected in 1816; prior to that a fire of coals was kept burning during the night; only 2 people on the island to keep the lighthouse; plentiful springs; owned by David S. Ker in 1863
V7 p 21 OSM ; PNNI V2 p 174; GV
Lignaballogy Dunsfort 21: 58/40 small bay in Irish Sea 3km NE of Ardglass
Lime Brook Cottage Bangor . in Bangor; residence of W. Little in 1902
POD
Limestone Rock & Pladdies Ardquin 21: 55/55 in Strangford Lough, 2km W of Marlfield townland; beneath the surface
PNNI V2 p 37 
Limisky Drumballyroney . alternate spelling for Lisnisk townland on Rent Roll of 1692
PNNI V6 p 172
Linan Donaghcloney . an ancient hamlet where Magennis lived in 1609
PNNI V6 p 85
Linden’s Lump Kilkeel 29: 24/13 in Mill Bay, part of Carlingford Lough, near Greencastle
Linden Walk Killyleagh . picturesque stand of Linden trees; click here for a photo .
Lindesferne Holywood . 110 Holywood Rd, Strandtown; residence of William Kerr in 1902
POD
Lindsays Bridge Clonduff . site of a beetling and washing mill in Ballyaughian townland owned by Lindsay family AR p 3; TC p18
Lindsays Leap Kilcoo . 1km SW of Newcastle old b/w map I15
Lindsaystown Tullylish . farm; 3km SW of Lawrencetown old b/w map G5
Lineview Magheralin . residence of Charles Mathers in 1896 MIs
Linen Hill Newry near Katesbridge; residence of Alexander Lowry Esq. in 1819 & of David & J Murphy in 1836 & Robert Porter in 1892 V3 p 111 OSM; POD ; PPNZ
Linton Lodge Kilbroney . house & 16 acres in Moygannon townland; held in fee by Roger Hall in 1863; residence of J.P. McNally Esq. in 1881 & 1886 GV; POD
Lin Wood Donaghadee residence of Dr. Knight in 1910 POD
Lisadian Hillsborough 20: 21/59 a townland 3km NW of Hillsborough;392 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; proprietor Lord Downshire; agent Mr Reilly in 1836;farms from 5-25 acres; rents 28-30 shillings an acre; good land; a list of charity subscribers in 1836 V12 p86, 106 OSM
Lisadian House Hillsborough 20: 22/60 farm; 2km W of Hillsborough
Lisafiffy Tullylish see Lisnafiffy

Lisardboy

Newry see Lisserboy .
Lisasheva Newry . farm; 2km SE of Newry old b/w map D11
Lisavon Holywood . in 13 Sydenham Park , Strandtown; residence of John Crampsie in 1902
POD
Lisbane Ardkeen 21: 60/58 a townland 5km S of Kircubbin; 258 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' white fort'; site of an early Christian graveyard; owned by Rowland Savage in 1591; in 1659 there were 11 English/Scots & 1 Catholic family here ; a windmill here in 1836; Catholic church here V7 p 2 & V17 p 124 OSM; GIC; O'L V1 p 424; PNNI V2 p 17; SP
Lisbane Bangor a townland 3km SSW of Bangor; 214 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' the white fort', i.e. Thor's Fort; 250 feet above sea level; in 1659 there were 9 English/Scots & 0 Catholic families here
V7 p 19 & V17 p 123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 165; SP
Lisbane Killaney a townland 2km W of Saintfield town; 788 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means " the white fort"; heavily timbered in 1600; in 1659 there were 4 English/Scots & 8 Catholic families here; in 1837 there were 45 farms from 4 -27 acres with the average 10 acres; large, high thick stone wall built by a young couple generations ago & today still called Purgatory
SP; SHM '94 p55; V7 p 120 OSM  ; SHM '86 p 32 & '98 p 26,79

Lisbane
Lisban

Saul a townland on the Quoile River, 2km NE of Downpatrick; 156 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Southwell estate in 1752 & leased to Robert Ward Esq.; bought by Ker family in 1835; owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford in 1836 ; agrarian outrage 7 Feb 1846 V17 p 114,125 OSM; LM 1991 p25, 26; DR; DR* 3/12/03
Lisbane Newry . farm; 3km E of Newry
old b/w map D11
Lisbane Tullynakill 21: 48/64 a townland 3km NW of Killinchy; 661 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means "the white fort"; many trees here in 1625; in 1836 the proprietors were Mr Potter of Killinchy & Mr Potter of Dublin & Lord Downshire whose agent was Mr Reilly of Hillsborough;35 landholders, all Presbyterian but 1 Catholic family; farms from 4-14 acres;good land but 60-70 acres uncultivable; rents were from 20 -30 shillings an acre; a school established in 1833;sold by Lieut. Col. Steel Hawthorne to Samuel Murland Esq. c. 1853; click here for a photo of the old Post Office
V7 p 122 OSM; SHM '98 p 79  ; O'L V1 p 374; DR 23/1/1869Hanna
Lisbane Lough Killaney 20: 37/58 3km W of Saintfield; small lake
Lisbarnet Kilmood 21: 47/65 a townland 3km SE of Comber; 632 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; to be sold by auction 62 acres in Lisbarnet 21 Apr 1792; in 1831 there were 65 houses; 43 families employed in agriculture & 8 in trade; 180 males & 184 females;14 servants; the proprietor then was Lord Londonderry whose agent was Mr J. Andrews of Comber; farms were from 2 - 30 acres; rent was 20- 34 shillings an acre; middling quality land; one school here in 1836 ;crops were potatoes, wheat & oats; incendiary fire , tenants meeting 2 Mar 1850 NS; V7 p 94,95 OSM: DR

Lisboy
Lisabuoy

Saul a townland 3km NE of Downpatrick; 117 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'yellow fort' , earth fort here; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to Colin Maxwell Esq.; windmill for corn & barley here 1836; owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford & the Ward family in 1836 LM 1985 p53; V17 p 111,114 OSM; LR 2004 p45; LR 2011 p9
Lisburn Blaris 20: 27/64

mainly in Co. Antrim but parts in Co. Down; means ' burnt fort'; a large town built on the site of Lisnagravy fort; burnt in 1641 & 1707; The Lisburn Union pararded in full uniform 17 Oct 1792; meeting of the Lisburn Friendly Society of Weavers 5 Jan 1793; Lisburn United Volunteers address 16 Jan 1793; in 1836 there was a Church of Ireland, Presbyterian, 2 Methodist, a Quakers & a Catholic church in town; 2 private schools; union workhouse description 22 Feb 1845: cholera outbreak 17 Feb 1849: Hertford tenantry 2 Mar 1850: autumn fair 9 Oct 185:; Magisterial fracas 24 Dec 1858; distress among cotton weavers 3 Jan 1863; Orange demonstration, list of those present 4 Jul 1868; land commission increase in rents 26 Nov 1881 (DR) ; Catholic Parochial House; on the railway line from Belfast; daring robbery of Lisburn milliner 4 Jan 1834 ; railway to Lisbrn 25 Oct 1834; Lisburn election farcical 17 Jan 1835; pigs killed in radical act 18 Apr 1835 (NH); public works program instigated for famine relief with road upgrade to Ballynahinch 27 May 1848; In 1886 there was a weaving factory , a small bleachery on the Lagan & a twine factory
http://www.lisburn.com/history/memories/story_of_lisburn_town.html

HCPCI p289; NS; V12 p 32 OSM; DR; NH; FCD S2 p 9; POD
Liscarney Bangor . in Crawfordsburn Rd, Bangor; residence of John Connolly in 1902
POD
Liscorran Shankill 183 acres: in Co Armagh in 1999
Liscrum Drumballyroney . an ancient earthworks in Aughanvallog townland
PNNI V6 p 156
Lisdalgan Saintfield 20; 39/60 a townland of 481 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; 1km west of Saintfield on road to Lisburn; ancient funereal mound here; many trees here in 1625; in 1837 there were 40 houses; 105 males & 109 females; best quality land; 32 farms; farms from 2- 73 acres with the average 10 acres; rents from 20-30 shillings an acre; the proprietor then was Mr Price of Saintfield
SHM '86 p 32; V 7 p 117, 120 OSM  ; O'L V1 p 374
Lisdoonan
Lisdowan
Saintfield 20: 39/64 a townland of 518 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; on the Carryduff to Saintfield road; in 1659 there were 3 English/Scots & 12 Catholic families here; in 1831 there were 36 houses; 91 males & 104 females; very good quality land; 30 farms;farms were from 2- 35 acres with the average 12 acres; rent was from 15- 25 shillings an acre; the proprietor then was Mr Price; site of Model Farm School built 1847
SP; SHM '94 p55 & '86 p 32; V 7 p 118, 120 OSM ; SHM '94 p32,33
Lisdromlaghan Tullynakill . ancient name for Lisban townland
O'L V1 p 374
Lisdrum House Newry . residence of Rev. Francis King in 1881
POD
Lisdrumgullion Newry a townland of 500 acres: mostly in Co Armagh in 1999 but a small part in Co. Down; just N of Newry town; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' fort of the ridge of the steep slope' ; owned by Earls of Kilmorey in 1863
PNNI V1 p 29; DDPP p2; GV
Lisdrumliska Newry 29: 7/26 a townland of 306 acres;1km SW of Newry town; in Co Armagh in 1999; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means fort of the scorched ridge'
PNNI V1 p 29.
Lisduff Newry 29: 8/30 a townland 4km N of Newry town; 278 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means ' the black fort' ; owned by Newry Abbey in 1157; originally part of the Baganel Estate in 1575; proprietor Col. White in 1836; poor land in the middle & rich land in the east & west; farms from 5-15 acres; rents 30-53 shillings an acre V3 p 106 OSM; PNNI V1 p 30; DDPP p2
Lisenappan Drumballyroney . alternate spelling for Lisnacroppan townland on Subsidy Roll of 1663 PNNI V6 p 169
Liseneare Seapatrick . alternate spelling for Lisnaree townland on Subsidy Roll of 1663 PNNI V6 p 318
Lisenusky Drumballyroney . alternate spelling for Lisnisk townland in 1659 census PNNI V6 p 172
Liserboy Newry see Lisardboy .
Lisgarron Point Kilkeel 29: 25/13 in Mill Bay, part of Carlingford Lough, near Greencastle; formerly a townland, part of the Bagenal estate in 1552; means ' fort of the horses'
CM ; PNNI V3 p10, 61
Lisgormal House Loughinisland 21: 43/48 farm, in Teconnaught townland on the road from Teconnaught to Loughinisland
Lishratyerny Aghaderg . alternate spelling for Lisnatierney townland in 1659 census PNNI V6 p 47
Lisinaw Killyleagh 21: 49/56 a townland 4km NW of Killyleagh; 525 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; burglary & attempted murder of Nancy Marshall 6 Mar 1869 DR
Lisleen Comber 21: 40/69 a townland 5km W of Comber; 455 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; tenants of 40 acres were John & Hugh Kearns let from Robert Kule Esq 12 Oct 1793; a flax mill here in 1837; joint proprietors then were Mr. Sinclair & Mr. Mussenden of Larchfield whose agent was Rev. Mr. Corner of Lisburn; 66 males & 84 females in 1837; owned by Jpohn & William Skelly in 1876 with 57 acres
NS; V7 p 30, 38, 42 OSM ; LOI
Lismabligan Clonduff . alternate name for Lisnamulligan townland in Rent Roll of 1692
PNNI V3 p 92
Lismachan Holywood   house; corner Glenmachon Road & Belmont Street
P7/13 CBSA
Lismaine
Lismean
Lismea
Magheralin 20: 12/57 a townland 2km S of Magherlin on the Donaghcloney road; 294 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Meehan's fort'; there are three ancient forts here; owned by the church 1609- 1868
PNNI V6 p 244, 245
Lismahan/ Lismochan/
Lismoghan
Ballykinler 21: 43/39 in Lower Ballykinler, 2km SE of Clough just above Coeystown; site of manor of Inislochcullen in 1585 let by church to Richard Bealing; site of an ancient Catholic chapel O'L V1 p 121,122 & B p 323; WDG p234; LM 1994 p58 (map); LM 1991 p32
Lismolyn
Lismollin
Lismullan
Dunsford . means ' Moelan's Fort'; now called Bishop's Court; site of ancient Catholic chapel
O'L V1 p 177,178 & B p 319; PNNI V6 p 115; LM 1994 p58
Lismore Dunsford a townland 1km N of Dunsford village; 366 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1659 there were 9 English/Scots & 0 Catholic families here
Lismore Slanes part of Ballyspurge townland in 1659
SP
Lismoyoldgan Clonduff . alternate name for Lisnamulligan townland in Rent Roll of 1692
PNNI V3 p 92
Lisnabrague /
Lisnabreag
Aghaderg 20: 7/42 a townland 4km WSW of Loughbrickland town; 563 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' fort of deceit'; tree nursery; on shore of Lough Shark; Union Lodge/Lisnabrague House here; townland proprietor William Fivey, mill here in 1836 V12 p 2, 6 ,8, 10, 12 OSM; PNNI V6 p 43
Lisnabrean Drumgath . see Lisnashrean .
Lisnabreen(y) Knockbreda 20; 37/70 a townland of 956 acres; 180 metres above sea level; 2 km SSE of Newtownbreda; click here to see its location on a townland map
Lisnabreeny House Knockbreda
15:36/70
1km S of Castlereagh; residence of Rev. Teape Hudson in 1852 & Rev. Adam Hudson in 1856 & John Robb in 1857 POD; MIs; LM 1999 p34
Lisnabreig Aghaderg  . ancient wall-known as the Dane's Cast V17 p 130 OSM
Lisnacead Aghaderg . see Lisnagade .
Lisnacrappen Drumballyroney . see Lisnacroppan .
Lisnacree Holywood . in Holywood Rd, Strandtown; residence of Edward B. Hart in 1902
POD
Lisnacree
Lisnecree
Kilkeel 29: 23/17 a townland on the slopes of The Mournes, 7km WNW of Kilkeel town;257 acres; click here to see its position on townland a map; means ' fort of the boundary';part of the Bagenal estate in 1552 ;in 1659 there were 16 Irish families livng here & the owner was Patrick Modder O'Howen Esq.; owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; death of George Waring Esq. of Lisnacree 24 May 1879; old graveyard here; Church society school here in 1863 DR; CM; SP: GIC; PNNI V3 p10, 46; MO 5/8/2009 p6; GV
Lisnacree Cottage/House Kilkeel 29: 24/15 house & farm of 49 acres , 7km W of Kilkeel town on Rostrevor road; leased by George Waring in 1863 from rep George Houston; owned by George Warinmg in 1876 with 49 acres
CM ;GV ; LOI
Lisnacreevy Drumballyroney a townland 6km NW of Rathfriland; 577 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' fort of the branchy place'; owned by Sir Art Magennis in 1609; leased by Samuel Swan in 1745 & held by William McBride in trust for Hugh McBride; proprietor S. Crawford, Belfast in 1836; largest farm was 51 acres; two were 29 acres; V3 p18 OSM; Registry of Deeds, Dublin; PNNI V6 p 168
Lisnacreevy House Drumballyroney 29: 16/38 5km NW of Rathfriland; residence of Robert W. Corbett in 1886
PNNI V6 p 169;POD
Lisnacroppan Drumballyroney 29: 19/37 a townland 3km N of Rathfriland; 306 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' fort of the lumps'; Lumpy Fort nearby; owned by O'Roney family in 1609; proprietor Mr McCreedy & heirs Mr Cowan in 1836; residence of Rev J. McKay; old leases 11 shillings an acre & new leases 40 shillings; largest farm 18 acres most 14 acres; V3 p 15, 18 OSM; PNNI V6 p 169, 170
Lisnacurran Dromore . alternate spelling for Listullycurran townland in 1838 IIW V4 p21

Lisnafiffey
Lisnafiffy
Lisnafery

Seapatrick-part a townland of 430 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' fort of the green'; owned by Sir Art Magennis in 1609; proprietors were Mr Stuart Esq. & Thomas Waring Esq.in 1836: incendiarism 18 Jan 1851 V12 p 124, 126 OSM: DR; PNNI V6 p 316

Lisnafiffey
Lisafiffy

Tullylish- part 20: 10/48 a townland 2km SE of Laurencetown; 213 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' fort of the green'; owned by Sir Art Magennis in 1609; proprietor Thomas Waring Esq. In 1836 V12 p 143 OSM; PNNI V6 p 343

Lisnagade or

Lisnacead
Lisnagead

Aghaderg 20: 8/44 a townland 3km NW of Loughbrickland town; 430 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means " Fort of a Hundred" denoting military use; one of the finest examples of a triple-ringed ancient fort which was a chieftian's residence from the early Christian period; the Dane's Cast starts from the old fort;in 1783 a battle was fought here between the Peep-O-Day Boys (Protestants) & Hearts of Stee ( Catholics) , some killed ; Catholic church here V17 p 130& V12 p 2, 6, 10 OSM; BIH p 7 & E:HMNI p 93; GIC; PNNI V6 p 44 & V2 p 52; IPP p 109
Lisnagade House Aghaderg 5km NW of Loughbrickland, in Lisnagade townland; a fine Georgian residence built by the Trevor family on the site of an earlier castle;18th century; residence of Edward Trevor Esq. in 1836 & William Teggart in 1910 V12 p 10 OSM: BIH p E; old b/w map E5; PNNI V6 p 21; POD

Lisnagannel /Lisnagile /Lisnaginell /Lisnagonnel /Lisnagunnen
/Lisnagannon

Aghaderg 29: 10/40 a townland 4km S of Loughbrickland; 349 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' fort of the candles'; owned by Glasney Roe Magennis before 1610; 4 ancient dug-out canoes found in bog c. 1840 V12 p 2 OSM; PNNI V6 p 45, 46
Lisnagarran Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Lisgarron, an old townland name in 1659 census SP; PNNI V3 p 61
Lisnagarvy Blaris  . a townland in Co. Antrim; click here to see its location on a townland map means ' gamester's fort'; sandy loam soil; site of a battle in 1641; site of the town of Lisburn pre 1707 V12 p 28, 32,33 OSM
Lisnagree Upper Kilkeel . 37 areas .
Lisnaharragh Knockbreda . townland in Castlereagh, Belfast GV
Lisnahilta Kilkeel 29: 32/17 ancient rath/fort, in Ballykeel townland; means' fort of the doe'
PNNI V3 p 61
Lisnahoney Clonallan . in Burren townland; name of Mass station used up to c. 1820
DDPP p80,97
Lisnaliggan Annaclone . see Lisnasliggan
Lisnamaugheral Drumballyroney alternate name for Lisnavaghrog townland in 1830 V3 p15, 17,18 OSM; PNNI V6 p 170
Lisnamaul
Lisnamally
Down a townland 4km WSW of Downpatrick; 278 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; held in 1625 by Robert Swoords; corn mill here in 1836; land owned by J.W. Maxwell Esq. in 1836 ;there were 15 houses; 14 family employed in agriculture; 50 males & 38 females; 2 servants V17 p 53 ,55, 57 OSM: MID p34; O'L V1 p 306
Lisnamore Kilmore a townland in Crossgar area; click here to see its location on a townland map; 246 acres; owned by Rev. Edward Trotter of Oakley before 1777 then his son, Edward Southwell Trotter in 1777; flour mill here & old fort in 1836; mainly owned by Arthur & Robert Browne in 1863; malicious burnings 16 Mar 1867; flour mills, land etc. to let 21 Sep 1867; notice from scutching & grinding mills 28 Aug 1869; mills & farm for auction 10 May 1873; for photos of the old mill try http://www.mamisa.net/Pictures/Albums/Lisnamore1919.htm TCC p 33; V 17 p 88, 92 OSM; GV; DR & DR* 18/91935R
Lisnamulligan Clonduff 29: 21/31

a townland 2km N of Hilltown; 260 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means " breezy spot" or "Mulligan's fort'; ;held by Arthur Magennis of Rathfriland in 1609;granted to Mr Barker in 1657; Orange Lodge here in 1798 with hall built 1914; flax mill on river Bann in 1836 ; bog/turf here; owned by Earl Annesley in 1863; in the townland's Gaelic Football team in 1889 were Michael Murphy in goal, Patrick & Peter Magenis, Peter McPolin, James, Henry & Michael Greenan, Larry Murnin, Bernard Travers, Hugh & Patrick McPolin, John & Paatrick McEvoy (of Islandmoyle), Bill Carr (of Rathfriland), Daniel McPolin, Willie Dornan (Barron's coachman) & John Murphy (of Goward)

V3 p 4, 110 OSM; tc P29; GAA CS p 29; PNNI V3 p 72, 92; GV; DDPP p105
Lisnarean Drumgath 29: 17/34 3km W of Rathfriland; also known as Lisnashrean V3 p 19 OSM
Lisnaree Newry a townland 7km NE of Newry town; 314 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means 'fort of the kings'; originally part of the Bagenal Estate in 1575; proprietor Miss Corry of Newry in 1836; rents were £2.2.0 an acre; old fort; 2 small hills V3 p 110 OSM; PNNI V1 p 31
Lisnaree Seapatrick 20: 15/46 a towmnland 3km E of Banbridge; 437 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means ' fort of the kings' V12 p 123 OSM; PNNI V6 p 318
Lisnashallagh Kilkeel . alternate name for Maghery townland in 1659 census
SP; PNNI V23 p 50
Lisnasallagh
Lisnesallagh
Saintfield 20: 38/64 a townland 6km N of Saintfield town; click here to see its location on a townland map; 81 acres; in 1659 there were 2 English/Scots families & no Catholic; in 1837 there were 5 houses; 17 males & 13 females;best quality land; farms from 15-25 acres; rents from 20-30 shillings an acre; the proprietor then was Mr Hamilton of Killyleagh Castle
SP; SHM '94 p55 & '86 p 32 ; V7 p 118 OSM  
Lisnashanker Magheralin 20: 17/57 a townland 5km SE of Magheralin; 301 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' fort of the old trees'; held by Capt. John Magill in 1679; Lisnashanker House here; Shanker Burn runs through; school here
old b/w map J4; PNNI V6 p 245, 246
Lisnasharragh Knockbreda 2km NW of Castlereagh; 182 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map  .
Lisnashimmer Ballykinler . means ' the shamrock fort' ;a hill in Upper Ballykinler townland; pre Christian graves found here
O'L V1 p 125
Lisnashrean
Lisnarean
Drumgath 29: 17/34 a hill or rath in Barnmeen townland; 3km W of Rathfriland; also called Bridle Fort Hill
PNNI V1 p 125 
Lisnashrean Lough Drumgath . 5km W of Rathfriland
old b/w map E9
Lignaslate Dunsford . in Sheepland townland Inv 2001 p 28
Lisnasliggan Annaclone a townland on shore of Monteith Lough; 567 acres of which 124 acres was the Glebe; click here to see its location on a townland map;means ' fort of the shells'; owned by the church in 1609 then half givern to Patrick McGivern & half as parish glebe;Church of Ireland here; bog; flax mill; school here in 1836; estate of Marquis of Downshire in 1836 ; mineral springs; Glebe House; mill V12 p 13, 14, 15, 16,17, 18 OSM; GIC; PNNI V6 p 61, 71
Lisnasliggan House Annaclone 20: 16/41 1km W of Annaclone village; This was the Glebe House in 1836 & was occupied by Rev Michael Sampson, rector in 1836
V12 p 17 OSM

Lisnastrain

Lisnastrean

Drumbo 20:28/61 a townland of 413 acres; 3km SE of Lisburn;click here to see its location on a townland map; the proprietor in 1833 was Lord Downshire whose agent was Mr Reilly of Hillsborough; 17 landholders; rent was 30 shillings to £2 an acre; land quality middling; in 1833 there were 44 houses; 17 families were employed in agriculture & 16 in trade or manufacture; 114 males & 105 females; 1 professional & 11 servants;
V7 p 59, 62 OSM  
Lisnasure Magheralin 20: 14/54 a townland 5km SE of Magheralin; 246 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means ' fort of the craftsmen'; one of the chief townlands in ancient Lequirin district owned by Sir Art Magennis in 1609; ancient fort here; school here
PNNI V6 p 246

Lisnateerney Lisnaterney Lisnatierny

Aghaderg 29: 10/37 a townland 7km S of Loughbrickland; 415 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' fort of the lord' from an ancient earthworks; large hill here with Fort House nearby V12 p 3 OSM; PODPNNI V6 p 47
Lisnatrunk Blaris-part a townland of 27 acres in Co. Antrim; click here to see its location on a townland map
Lisnatrunk Lambeg-part a townland of 300 acres in Co. Antrim; click here to see its location on a townland map ; Presbyterian church & general graveyard here
GIC
Lisnavaghrog
Lisnenaghough
Drumballyroney 29: 20/38 a townland 5km N of Rathfriland; 432 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means' fort of the woodbines'; Magheral Catholic chapel here; proprietor A. Cowan Esq. of Annahilt in 1836; residence of Rev J. Herron in 1836; largest farm was 24 acres; rents from 22-40 shillings an acre; school built 1834
V3 p15, 17,18 OSM; PNNI V6 p 170
Lisnavarragh Aghaderg . a small oval ancient fort with 3 banks & ditches; near Lisnagarde fort IPP p 109

Lisnau or Lisnaw

Killyleagh see Lisinaw: Calvert & Moore family in 1863 MID p 101,130
Lisnaward
Lisnereward
Dromore a townland 4km SW of Dromore town; 413 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' enclosure of the poet's fort'; belonged to Sir Art Magennis in 1609; sold by Edward Matthews Esq. in 1749; mill dam & swamp; mill here in 1836 V12 p70,72,78 OSM; WDG P76; PNNI V6 p 134 , 135
Lisnecree
Lisneery
Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Lisnacree townland in 1659 census & Sibsidy Roll of 1663 PNNI V3 p 46
Lisnefuthy Seapatrick . alternate spelling for Lisnafiffy townland in 1659 census PNNI V6 p 317
Lisnegarric Saintfield . ancient site of church which was burnt down in 1641; possibly Killnagarrick in Tonaghmore townland SHM '94 p37,39
Lisnegsewer Magheralin . spelling for Lisnasure townland in 1659 census PNNI V6 p 246
Lisnelanno Seapatrick . alternate name for Balleevy townland in 1618 PNNI V6 p 304
Lisnenterine Aghaderg . alternate spelling for Lisnatierny townland on Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V6 p 47
Lisneslickan Annaclone . alternate spelling for Lisnasliggan in 1659 census PNNI V6 p 71
Lisnisk Drumballyroney a townland 4km ENE of Rathfriland ;475 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' fort of the water'; lake &; bog here;held by Sir Art Magennis in 1609; school here in 1836 V3 p10,13,14 OSM; PNNI V6 p 172

Lisnod

Lisnode

Drumbo 20: 32/63 a townland of 253 acres; 3 km S of Drumbo village;click here to see its location on a townland map; the proprietor in 1833 was Lord Downshire whose agent was Mr Reilly of Hillsborough; 44 landholders; farms were 3-15 acres; rent was 30 shillings an acre; land middling quality; in 1833 there were 25 houses; 17 families were employed in agriculture & 5 in trade; 70 males & 63 females; 1 professional & 6 servants;
V7 p 59, 61 OSM  
Lisnoe Blaris 20: 27/62 a townland 3km S of Lisburn; 153 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; Lisnoe Cottage here
old b/w map N6 
Lisoid Bright 21: 50/37 a townland 3km NW of Killough; 280 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; proprietor General Cockburn in 1836 V17 p 34 OSM
Lisoruward Dromore . alternate spelling for Lisnaward townland in 1743 IIW V4 p34

Lisowan
Lisowen

Upper & Lower

Saintfield a townland 4km SE of Saintfield town; 911 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; ancient name Lisswyne; means “ Owen’s fort or fort in the grassland”; in 1659 the proprieters were Colin Maxcwell Esq & Gawen Hamilton Esq; there were 4 English/Scotts & 7 Catholics families here; in 1832 there was a National School here (photo available) ; in 1837 there were 73 houses; 201 males & 206 females; best quality land;36 farms ( Lower) & 21 farms ( Lower); farms from 6-40 acres with the average 12 acres; ; rents from 20-30 shillings an acre; the proprietors then were Sir Isaac Bomberry & Mr Price of Saintfield; Hugh McRobert's corn mill in 1837;cattle theft C. Mc Alister 2 Aug 1851; soiree in school house to send two orphan girls to New Zealand 15 Jan 1870 SP; SHM '94 p55 & '86 p 32 & '90 p 30 ; DR ;BH; V 7 p117, 118, 119, 120 OSM
Lisowen Cottage Saintfield . residence of Mrs Anderson in 1901 & James Thompson in 1910 POD
Lisremoylan Donaghcloney . name of a fort on Lamb's Island in Annaghanoon townland PNNI V6 p 85
Lissan-na-Arron Kilbroney . in Rostrevor; residence of Mrs Murrey in 1910 POD

Lissara
& Lissara Hill

Kilmore a townland in the Crossgar area; click here to see its location on a townland map; 145 acres; owned by Rev. Edward Trotter of Oakley before 1777 then his son, Edward Southwell Trotter in 1777; corn & flax mill here (photo of mill available) ; sold by Ruthven to Richard Keown of Downpatrick for £4,000 c. 1836; wheat & oats grown in 1836 ; effects of the Big Storm on the mill 12 Jan 1839; W. Keown marriage -celebration on Lissara Hill 18 Oct 1845; Presbyterian church here TCC p 33; V17 p 88, 92 OSM; LM 1996 p51; DR*; DR & 18/9/1935R* ;GIPR; LR 2004 p49-55
Lissara House Kilmore . Lissara House to be sold, farm & mills 2 Feb 1884
DR
Lisseduffe Newry . alternate spelling for Lisduff townland on Subsidy Roll of 1663
PNNI V1 p 30
Lisserboy Newry a townland 7km NNE of Newry town; 204 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; pronounced Lisardboy; means ' yellow fort'; bought by Rev. James Johnston c. 1710; proprietor Arthur Johnston Esq. of Carrickbreda whose agent was Mr John Johnston, Traymount, resident in 1836; Traymount burying place is in this townland; mainly Catholic tenants; undulating surface with good soil; rents were 26-32 shillings an acre; 2 ancient forts, one called Leister's Fort after the man who was interred here who committed suicide & the other called Traymount ; Donaghmore Presbyterian Meeting House is in this townland ; general graveyard here
HCPCI; V3 p 105, 77, 106 OSM ; GIC; PNNI V1 p 31, 32
Lissiwilligan Clonduff . alternate name for Drumnascamph in 1611 PNNI V3 p 86
Lissize
Lissise
Drumballyroney-part 29: 18/34 a townland 2km W of Rathfriland; 283 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' fort of the wooded height'; lake here; originally owned by Magennis clan; John Hawkins, landlord, built his house here c. 1650; proprietor General Meade in 1836; largest farm was 34 acres all the rest under 10 acres; rents from 2/6 - 21 shillings an acre; owned by trustees Hon. Robert Meade in 1863 V3 p 11, 14, 18 OSM; PNNI V6 p 172; DDPP p110; GV
Lissize Drumgath-part a townland 1km W of Rathfriland; 197 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' fort of the wooden height';originally owned by Magennis clan; proprietor General Meade in 1836; farms were from 4-20 acres; rents from 16- 30 shillings an acre V3 p 21 OSM; PNNI V1 p 123
Lissnacrevy Drumballyroney . altenate spelling for Lisnacreevy townland in Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V6 p 168
Lissnashanger Magheralin . alternate spelling for Lisnashanker townland .
Lissomcy Vigan Clonduff . alternate name for Lisnamulligan townland in 1659 census PNNI V3 p 92

Lissue
Lissure

Blaris a townland , also called Teraghafeeva; in Co. Antrim: click here to see its location on a townland map ; 25 shilling per acre for tenant; sandy loam & clay soil; parish works program in 1836 V12 p 26, 28, 40, 41, 42 OSM
Lissurewaird/
Lissnaroard
Dromore . alternate spelling for Lisnaward townland on Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V6 p 135
Lisswyne Saintfield . ancient name for Lisowen townland in 1659 SP;SHM '94 p55
Listooder Kilmore 21: 42/53 a townland 2km W of Crossgar on Ballynahinch road; 510 acres; means“ fort of the leather tanner”;click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1659 there were 3 English/Scots & 9 Catholic families here; site of an old disused graveyard called Killygartan; corn mill in 1836; opening of Orange Hall 24 Jun 1871; anniversary meeting of the 5th November- 5 Nov 1881; rural post office & bank branch here in 1886 SP: SHM '94 p55; V17 p 91 OSM: BH; DR: O'L V1 p 329; POD
Listooder Hill Kilmore 21: 41/52 hill; 3km W of Crossgar on Ballynahinch road
Listullyard Seapatrick ancient fort/rath on high point (519 ft) in Ballykeel townland V12 p124,125 OSM; PNNI V6 p 324
Listullicurran /
Listullycorran
Dromore 20: 20/56 a townland 3km N of Dromore hills; 621 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' fort of O'Corrian's knoll';originally in Kilwarlin parish; school & bog here in 1836 V12 p 70, 73, 78 89, 102 OSM; PNNI V6 p 136
Lisvarna Knockbreda . in Hawthornden Rd, Knock; residence of Mrs Murray in 1902
POD
Little Clandeboye Bangor
.
house in Conlig townland with gate lodge unoccupied in 1863 but owned by Lord Dufferin & Clandeboye; residence of James Barratt in 1902; also called Conlig House ; click here for a photo GV; POD
Little Delling Ballee   see Dillin
Little Island
Lytyll Island
Kilkeel . alternate name for Green Island in 1568; at the entrance to Carlingford Lough PNNI V3 p 59
Little Launches Island Saul 9 acres: owned by Lord Bangor in 1836 V17 p 114 OSM
Little Lea Holywood . a detached house in North Circle Road, Strandtown; built by Lewis family in 1905; childhood home of noted author & Oxford don C. S.Lewis
PE; MO 11/1/2006
Little Minnis’s Island Ardkeen 21: 55/60 in Strangford Lough, 4km W of Gransha townland; 3 acres  .
Little Plough Rock Ardkeen
21: 67/59
also called Plough Rock, Bow-bow-meel or Small-bow-meel; only visible at low tide; 2 km E of Portavogie V7 p 1 OSM
Little Rock Kilbroney . in Rostrevor ; residence of H. Graham in 1910
POD
Littleton House Newry . a house & garden on Downshire Rd, Newry; owned by William B. Glenny in 1863 but unoccupied ; residence of David Martin in 1886
GV ; POD
Lizardboy Newry . alternate spelling for Lisserboy townland PNNI V1 p 31
Llanrhaladr Knockbreda . in Kings Rd, Knock; residence of James Lynes in 1902
POD
Lobster Rock Bangor
15:43/82
in Belfast Lough; 1km SW of Helen's Bay .
Lochmonne Ballee . alternate spelling for Loughmoney townland O'L B p 140
Lochneboy Loughinisland mentioned in 1659 census SP
Loch View Ballyphilip residence of Rev. James Rowen in 1846 POD
Locust Lodge Blaris area . residence of John Montgomery 15 Feb 1834
NH
Lodge (The) Ballyculter . near Strangford; previously known as Ferryquarter House; built by the Price family c. 1750 ; occupied by the Prices & Blackwood families up until 1875; Elizabeth Ann Price was resident in 1863 & William Price in 1868; residence of Major A.Nugent in 1886 & Mrs. Nugent in 1895 LR 2012 p93 ; LR 2013 p69; GV; POD; LM 1995 p75
Lodge (The) Bangor . a villa; residence of Mrs J.P. Maxwell in 1910 POD
Lodge (The) Clonduff . in Hilltown ; residence of Samuel P. Cowan in 1886 POD
Lodge (The) Holywood . in Sydenham Ave, Sydenham; a home for inebriates in 1902
POD
Lodge (The) Kilbroney . house & 60 acres in Rostrevor townland, ,just SE of Rostrevor; residence of David Ross Esq. in 1836;described as a plain, 2-storey house built by Col. Ross; the demesne was tastefully planted out with oak, ash, sycamore, cherry trees and Spanish chestnuts; held in fee by James Roxburgh in 1863 ; residence of Hon. A.T.G. Canning in 1910
V3 p 35 OSM; old b/w map A13; GV ; POD
Lodge (The) Kilcoo . house & 6 acres in Bryansford village ; leased by Hon. John Jocelyn in 1863 from Earl Roden GV
Lodge (The) Kilmegan . near Castlewellan; residence of W. E. Shaw in 1886 POD
Lodge (The) Kilmegan . in Dundrum; residence of Mrs Perry in 1910 POD
Lodge (The) Knockbreda . in 133 Albertbridge Rd, East Belfast ; residence of Dr. Robert Boyd & a branch of Belfast Banking Co. in 1902
POD
Lodge (The) Loughinisland 21: 40/42 gate house at the entrance to Seaforde Demesne; residence of William Parsons J.P. in 1862 & Capt. H.G.S Alexander in 1886
POD
Lodge (The) Saintfield . in Lisdalgin; residence of William Hynds in 1910
POD
Lodge (The) Seapatrick . in Banbridge; residence of Thomas David Ervin Esq. in 1885 & Hugh Glass, solicitor in 1892
MIs
Lodge Hill Loughinisland . near Clough; residence of W. Hay in 1910
POD
Loghcoyne
NE Co. Down 
 . ancient name for Strangford Lough V17 p 123 OSM
Loghdein Aghaderg . alternate spelling for Loughadian in 1659 census
PNNI V6 p 48
Loghin Tullylish . alternate spelling for Loughans on Rent Roll of 1692
PNNI V6 p 344
Loghorne Newry . Laternate spelling for Loughorne townalnd in 1659 census
PNNI V1 p 32
Loghrescow Newtownards . alternate spelling for Loughriscouse townland in 1659 census
PNNI V2 p 232
Londonderry Arms Comber .. an inn in The Square , Comber; the proprietor in 1846 was John Lowry POD
Londonderry Arms Newtownards .. an inn & posting house in High St, Newtownards ; the proprietor in 1846 was William Sanderson POD
Londonderry House Comber . in Cattogs townland; residence of Thomas Coulter in 1899
POD
London House Down . in Market St, Downpatrick; residence of James Morrison in 1910
POD
Long (The) Hillsborough . farm; 3km NNW of Hillsborough town
old b/w map L4
Long Brae Kilkeel . part of the Mourne Mountains; on the parish border
V3 p 46 OSM
Long Bridge Knockbreda . a stone bridge over & at the mouth of the River Lagan; just W of Ballymacarret town; the river was navigable about Long Bridge for barges; the tide rises 14 feet here;Mr. Lawley owned a house at the bridge 17 Feb 1794 (NS) ; it was described in 1832 as being dangerous because it was so narrow; unseemly structure 29 Nov 1834 (NH)
V7 p 97, 98 OSM ; NS; NH
Longert Tullylish . an ancient hamlet in Bleary townland in 1611
PNNI V6 p 333
Longhorn Cottage Donaghmore . farm; 6km NNE of Newry town
old b/w mapC8
Long Island Ardkeen 21: 58/57 in Strangford Lough, 2km W of Ardkeen townland; 5 acres
PNNI V2 p 21.
Long Island Donaghadee 15:60/76 in irish Sea; just off Millisle village .
Long Island Kilkeel 29: 25/13 in Mill Bay, part of Carlingford Lough
Long Island Tullynakill 21: 51/65 11 acres; in Strangford lough, 3km E of Lisbane village; click here to see its location on a townland map
V7 p 124 OSM
Long Kesh Blaris 20: 22/61 village; 3km W of Hillsborough
Longlands Comber 21: 48/70 a townland 94 acres; 2km NE of Comber near Strangford Lough; click here to see its location on a townland map; proprietor in 1837 was the Marquis of Londonderry, his agent was Mr. Andrews of Comber; farms 7-30 acres; rent was 28- 30 shillings per acre in 1837;35 males & 42 females in 1837;
V7 p37, 39, 42 OSM 
Long Launches Island Saul owned by Lord Bangor in 1836 V17 p 114 OSM
Long Lough Saintfield 20: 37/56 5km SW of Saintfield on the Ballynahinch road;click here to see its location on a map; pike, trout & eels in it in 1837
V7 p 117 ,119 OSM
Long Mountain Kilkeel 29: 37/25 part of the Mournes, near the sea 5km N of Annalong
PNNI V3 p 145
Long Plate Bright 21: 54/36 rocky point at the entrance to Killough Harbour, 1km SE of Killough town  
Long Point Ballytrustan . in the Irish Sea just N of Ballyquinton Point
old b/w map S17
Long Point Kilkeel 29: 35/17 sandy point in Irish Sea; just N of Ballymartin village  .
Long Rock Ballywalter 21: 63/70 rocks just off shore near Whitechurch; gale, barque ashore 6 Jan 1866; schooner John & Mary wrecked 11 Mar 1880 ; schooner Margaret Grace wrecked 18 Feb 1881 DR; PNNI V2 p 73; BoTWR
Long Rock Tyrella 21: 45/34 in Dundrum Bay, W of Tyrella Beach  .
Long Seefin Kilkeel 29: 35/24 mountain in The Mournes, 5km NW of Annalong  .
Long Sheelah Rock Ardkeen 21: 56/58 in Strangford Lough, 3km WNW of Ardkeen townland; rocks beneath the surface
PNNI V2 p 21 
Long Skart Rock Inishargy . in Strangford Lough; skart meaning ' a cormorant'
PNNI V2 p 96
Longstone Blaris . an area of Lisburn town
PR
Longstone Hill Drumgath . in Barnmeen townland; named after an ancient standing stone
IPP P 106
Longstone The Dundonald . a mesolithic standing stone, SE of Dundonald village;b/w photo available
TMUOP p28,37
Longstone Park Kilkeel 29: 34/20 farm, 3km W of Annalong; in Moneydarragh townland; the Long Stone is an ancient standing stone 8 feet high & 3 feet breadth at the bottom; sketch available; residence of Williuam Doran in 1910
V3 p 51 OSM;POD 
Longview Comber . house & farm of 22 acres in Ballystockart townland; leased by Isabella Dalzell in 1863 from Marquis of Londonderry
GV
Lood Clonduff . alternate spelling for Leode townland in 1659 census
PNNI V3 p 91
Loop (the) Garvaghy . a loop in River Bann in Tullyorior townland, Poland's Bridge
PNNI V6 p 207
Loop (The) Kilmore 20: 39/51 farm; 3km SE of Ballynahinch on Downpatrick road; in Raleagh townland ;residence of James McKee in 1831 & John Bassett junior in 1853 & Henry Marner in 1901 & Stephen Flynn in 1910; click here for a photo
PR ; PE
Loop Bridge Mill Knockbreda . flax spinning mill & weaving factory on 1 acre in Ballymaconaghy townland; leased by Alexander, William & John Murland in 1863 from Marquis of Downshire GV
Loreleigh Bangor . in Pickie Terrace , Bangor; residence of John Greenhill in 1902
POD
Lorely Bangor . in Princetown, Bangor ;residence of Misses McFerran in 1901
POD
Lorettoville Kilcoo . a house in Newcastle; residence of Miss M. McIlvinny l in 1910
POD
Loretto Cottage Knockbreda . in Castlereagh Rd, East Belfast; residence of W.hH. Campbell in 1902
POD
Lorganare Donaghmore . alternate spelling for Lurganre townlwnad in 1659 census PNNI v1 p 103
Lorgancomy Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Lurganconary townland in 1659 census SP
Lorne Holywood
15:42/81
village; 2km NE of Holywood town .
Lorwood Clonduff . alternate spelling for Leode townland in 1661 PNNI V3 p 91
Lothnalmuke Moira . alternate name of Legmore townland in 1716 PNNI V6 p 289
Loughachery Annahilt see Loughaghery .
Loughadian Loughadyan Aghaderg 20: 7/40 townland near the Co Armagh border; 553 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' lake of the stronghold'; ancient wall, Dane's Cast here; an ancient district name held by Bryan Magennis in 1609, now a lake only in name;drained in 1740 by William Fivey Esq. V17 p 130 & V 12 p2 ,3 OSM; PNNI V6 p 14, 48
Loughaghery Annahilt name of Annahilt Presbyterian church in Clintagh townland; means ' lake of the herd of horses' ;contains 2 crannoges; sometimes known as Ballykeel Lough; flax mill in 1836 & river rises here V12 p22, 24 & V17 p 103, 105 OSM; GIPR ; old b/w map K7; PNNI V6 p 148
Loughaghery House Annahilt . click here for a photo & some information .
Loughaghery Lake Annahilt-part 20: 28/54 2km S of Annahilt; fatality of fish in the lough 28 Mar 1857 DR
Loughan Park Newtownards . farm estate; just E of Newtownards town V7 p 104 OSM
Loughana Curry Saul . field name in Ballystokes; means 'little lough beside the rock' LM 1983 p22
Loughans Tullylish a townland of 1338 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means' little lakes'; originally owned by Hugh Magennis in 1609; proprietor Sir William Johnston Bart; 2 mills in 1836; part bog here V12 p140, 143, 144, 147 OSM; PNNI V6 p 344
Lough Boley Drumgooland . in Leganny townland; in the Dromara hills; near the dolmen MS WAG p 87
Loughbrickland Aghaderg 20: 11/41 a village 4km SW of Banbridge; brick means Bricui, a character from local legend ; or from breac meaning 'trout' ; click here for a photo and more information OFN p x; NCT; OGSLL p38; V12 p1 3,4 , 9,10, 11,100 OSM: BIH p 8;DR; PNNI V6 p 14, 54,56
Loughbrickland House Aghaderg . just N of the town; in Coolnacran townland; residence of Nicholas Charles Whyte Esq. in 1836 & J.J. Whyte J.P. in 1886 V12 p 10 OSM; old b/w map F6; PNNI V6 p 21; POD
Loughbrickland Lake Aghaderg  . there is an ancient crannog or man-made island in the lake; it was surrounded by a row of stakes & contained pottery, iron slag, bones & charcoal; a house used to exist on the island which was used by the Magennis clan; 3400 English troops killed a group of 60 rebel soldiers here in 1642 BIH p S; BCT p 26; IPP p 38
Lough Caig Garvaghy  . or Lough Kock V12 p 79 OSM
Lough Coan
Lough Coen
Lough Cuan
Lough Coyne
Lough Cone
Co Down . ancient names for Strangford Lough; on a manuscript dated 1701; the 13 islands in Lough Coen belonged to the Savage family of Ardquin & Sketrick Castles
V7 p 9, 89 OSM; PNNI V2 p 5
Lough Cock Garvaghy . a marsh between Ballyoolymore & Knockgorn townlands
PNNI V6 p 209,269
Lough Cowey Ardquin .21: 59/54 large lake ;3km N of Portaferry; the townlands of Thomastown, Ardquin and Balltridley surround it; marshy edge
V7 p 4 OSM; PNNI V2 p 37
Loughcurran Magherally . in Tonaghmore townland; with crannoge; possibly know called Pattersons Lough PNNI V6 p 267
Loughdoo
Loughduff
Castleboy 21: 61/56 a townland 5km N of Portaferry;110 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means ' black lake'; 60 feet above sea level; 10 acre lough not very deep; in 1659 there were 13 English/Scots & 5 Catholic families here V17 p 125 & V 7 p 26 OSM; PNNI V2 p 80;SP
Lough Doo
Lough Dugh
Lough Dhu
Garvaghy black lake in Shanrod townland; bog V12 p 79, 80 OSM; PNNI V6 p 209
Loughend Aghaderg . farm, near Loughbrickland; residence of David McAuley in 1910 POD
Lougheriscouse Newtownards see Loughriscouse .
Lough Erne Annahilt 20: 32/57 a townland E of Carricknadarriff townland;578 acres: also see Ballykeel Lougherne; click here to see its location on a map
Loughfaghan
Loughfaughan
Down in Ballyrolly townland; birthplace of Rev George Crolly in 1813 & residence of Fitzpatrick family in 1836 LM 1994 p72; MID p 10
Lough Farm Annahilt 20: 29/53 farm; near Lough Aghery
Lough Garran Clonduff . in Cleomack townland on the summit of the hill; means ' lake of the old horse' because a mythical horse was believed to live under its waters
TC p20
Lough Head Ballee . a house cluster at the south end of Loughmoney townland
PE
Lough Henney
Lough Hinney
Saintfield 20; 34/58 means ' a marsh'; large lake ;in Bresagh townland 6km W of Saintfield; contains an ancient crannog where Toole MacPhelim McIvor lived in 1605; military antiquities found here; ancient helmet found here in 1831
SHM '98 p79; O'L V1 p 373; LR 2005 p20; LM 1990 p5-8
Lough Hill Drumbo 20: 37/67 2km NE of Carryduff
Loughhill Killinchy area . residence of Lowry Bros. in 1910
POD
Loughhorne Newry see Loughorn V3 p 61 OSM
Loughianlee Bright . farm; 4km NW of Killough old b/w map M15
Loughin (The) Dunsford . popular fishing spot near Guns Island Inv 2000 p 6

Loughinisland
Lochin iland

Loughinisland 21: 41/45 a village and a parish; 7km NW of Downpatrick ;means ' lake of the island';click here for a photo and more information .
Loughiries Newtownards 135 acres V17 p 123 OSM
Lough Islandderry Magheralin lough ; 255 ft above sea level; V12 p 109 OSM
Lough Island Reavey Kilcoo 29: 29/34 1km NE of Kilcoo; means ' lake of the grey island' but two islands with ancient crannogs on them were submerged when the dam was built in 1836 as a storage lake for the linen industry; poem & photo available V3 p41 OSM: MS WAG p86: MOF p8;BIH p G; IPP p 37; PNNI V3 p 181; WDG p42
Loughkeeland
Loughkeelan
Ballyculter 21: 56/45 a townland 4km SW of Strangford town; 378 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Caelan's Lough'; owned by Lord Bangor in 1836 V17 p 31 OSM: Inv 1997 p 45 & 2001 p 10
Lough Kernan Tullylish . also called Kernan Lake; in Kernan townland PNNI V6 p 341
Lough Kock Garvaghy or Lough Caig; bog V12 p79,80 OSM
Loughlands Comber
residence of James McCracken in 1912
POD
Lough Macnay Ballee proprietor Mr Wallace of Down in 1836 V17 p 23 OSM
Lough Mann
Lough Mawn
Kilmore 21: 41/50 17 acre lake in southern Drumnaconnor townland, 3km WNW of Kilmore village; click here to see its location on a map
BN 15/6/ 1764. 
Loughmaroney Newtownards . alternate name for Ballyrogan townland in 1675; residence of the Morrison family 1777 PNNI V2 p 224; MIs
Loughmonen Aghaderg or Meenan or Minine or Minen or Minian ; 391 acres V12 p 3 OSM

Loughmoney

Loughmooney

Ballee 21: 53/46 a townland 5km ENE of Downpatrick near Slievangriddle ; 304 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'lough of the shrubbery'; large lake & bog- fossil finds; two ancient cromlech or dolmen here ; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to Cromwell Ward Esq; part leased to Donoughy Smith & Archibald McNeill c. 1710; owned by Southwell Estate in 1752; school here in 1836, owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford & Lord Annesley in 1836 ; article 6 Feb 1869; photo available LM 1985 p52; V17 p15,19, 20, 22, 24 OSM; DR; LM 1991 p25; LWAG p24, 25 ; O'L V1 p 308; LR 2007 p4
Lough Moss Dromore 20: 23/52 bog; 4km SE of Dromore, in Drummiler townland
PNNI V6 p 123

Loughorn
Loughorne
Loughown

Newry 29: 11/33 a townland 7km NNE of Newry; 465 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means 'lake of barley' after a local legend; 51 acre lake which contained eels & pike; corn mill; school established 1824; proprietor John Martin Esq. (lives in townland) in 1836; largest farm 100 acres lerased at 50 shillings an acre;most farms below 12 acres; undulating surface with fertile soil; crops were wheat, oats, barley & potatoes: cave with 2 circular chambers and antiquities V3 p 7, 8, 9, 61 ,78 , 81 ,111 OSM; PNNI V1 p 32; DDPP p29
Lough Quarter Down 21: 45/45 farms ;near Woodgrange townland, 3km W of Downpatrick; residence of Robert Jennings & Robert Kirkwood in 1770
DAIPC p24
Loughran Lane Ends Dromara or Magherahamlet 20: 32/47 5km SE of Dromara in Dromara Hills
old b/w map K9 
Lough Ree Drumballyroney . in Edengarry townland
PNNI V6 p 163
Loughriscouse
Loughryscouse
Newtownards 15:53/74  a townland 3km E of Newtownards town; 1115 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' rushy place of the hollow'; in 1659 there were 8 English/Scots & 6 Catholic families here ; a school here in 1836 & 2 National Schools in 1863; the proprietor in 1836 was Lord Londonderry; click here to see list of tenant farmers in 1836; owned by Marquis of Londonderry in 1863; tenants meeting at schoolhouse 4 Nov 1882 (NC)
V17 p123 & V7 p 105, 112 OSM ;GV; SP; NC; PNNI V2 p 232; GV
Lough Roach Killyleagh 21: 50/56 small lake ;4km NW of Killyleagh near Clea Lough
Lough Ruray Kilcoo . ancient name for Dundrum Bay
LWAG p 83
Lough Shannagh
Lough Shanna
Kilkeel 29: 29/26 large lake; in the middle to the Mourne Mountains; means ' lake of the foxes' ; photo available
N WAG p 39 ; PNNI V3 p 182; CP 8/3/2012
Lough Shark Aghaderg 20: 6/41 on the border with Co Armagh; 79 acres with only 46 acres in Co. Down; means ' lake of the love story', based on local legend; abounds with eels, perch ,bream & pike, wild duck, widgeon & teal in 1836
V12 p 3 OSM; PNNI V6 p 57 
Loughview Comber 21: 42/71 farm; in Ballystockard townland;built in 1845; residence of Morrow family
TMUOP p152
Loughview Comber . in castleavery townland; residence of Mr. A.L. Gilliland in 1903
JUAHS 2012 p18
Lough View Drumbo 20: 32/64 farm ; 2km S of Drumbo village
Lough View Cottage Holywood house & small garden in Holywood townland , leased by Margaret Forrester in 1863 from Thomas Moffitt ; owned by Eleanor Sloan in 1876 with 2 acres GV; LOI
Lough View House Holywood house & garden in Holywood townland , leased by Henry Braddick Yule in 1863 from Thomas Moffitt GV
Lough View Cottage Killinchy . farm; 2km N of Killyleagh town in Ballymacreely ; overlooks Strangford Lough ; Adam Heslip robbed & murdered here Aug 1817
old b/w map R12; LM 1985 p17
Loughview Knockbreda . row of houses on the corner of Glencregagh Road & Knockbreda Rd, Gilnahirk; residence of J. McCormick J.P (farmer) & Hugh Hayes (farmer) & Thomas Swan (printer) in 1901 ; now demolished ACG p 97
Loughview Nursery Knockbreda . 4 acres on 63 Upper Braniel Rd, Gilnahirk; operated by Jack Stewart 1936-1959 ACG p 126
Lowland House Kilmegan . Castlewellan area; residence of John Carr Esq. 31 Jan 1867 BN
Low Town Dromara 20: 28/47 in Finnis townland
Lowtown Drumgooland 20: 25/41 2km N of Moneyslane village
old b/w map I10 
Low Town Tullylish 20: 9/51 farm; 3k N of Lawrencetown . .
Lower White Water Bridge Kilkeel 29: 27/13 over White Water River in Dunnaval townland
Low Wood House Kilbroney . house &garden in Rostrevor townland, leased by George A. Pollard in 1863 from David Ross
GV
Loyality Farm Kilkeel . residence of major Gustavius Matthews in 1791 7 Mrs. Matthews in 1819
HOTC p154,155; GDN
Loynnan Donaghcloney . an ancient hamlet name in Annaghanoon townland in 1609
PNNI V6 p 85
Loyola House Dromore . previously named Bishops' Palace; click here for a photo and more information
.
Lucerne Newtownards 21: 45/74 farm; 3km W of Newtownards
Lugganiffrin
Luganifrin
Saul . means ' Mass-hollow'; name of an ancient 'bohog' or place where Catholics worshipped during Penal Times; in Carrintaggart townland
O'L V1 p 199; Inv 2000 p 23
Lukes Mountain Kilcoo 29: 32/30 on the northern slopes of the Mourne Mountains
PNNI V3 p 145 
Luke's Point Bangor 15:52/83 between Bangor Bay & Ballyholme Bay OS map 1901 2.06
Lurgahunty Clonallan . alternate name for Lurgancanty townladn on Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V1 p 78
Lurgananare /
Lurganare
Donaghmore 29: 7/32 a townland 6km N of Newry; 341 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' tract of the slaughter'; bog here ; originally owned by Magennis clan; proprietor A. Innes Esq.in 1836; 16 acres flood in winter V3 p7, 9 OSM; PNNI V1 p 103
Lurganban
Lurganbane
Dromore 20: 22/52 a townland 2km SE of Dromore; 553 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means' the white ridge'; belonged to Bishop of Dromore; flax mill in 1836; click here for Sarah Clarke of Lurganbane's story V12 p 72 OSM; PNNI V6 p 137, 138
Lurgan Bridge Ballee 21: 54/38 over stream 2km NW of Ardglass on the Bishops Court road
Lurgancahone
Lurgancughan
Drumgath 29: 17/32 a townland 3km SW of Rathfriland; 558 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map;means ' Cu Chonnacht's long ridge';originally owned by Magennis clan; Catholic chapel here; proprietor Marquis of Downshire in 1836; farms from 3-14 acres; rents from 26-25 shillings an acre; fearful accident in McConville's scutch mill 20 Nov 1880 V3 p 20,21 OSM; DR; GIC; PNNI V1 p 124
Lurgancanty Clonallan 29: 16/24 a townland on the slopes of The Mournes, 6km N of Rostrevor; 179 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'O'Canty's long low ridge'; the proprietor 1810- 1891 was Narcissus Batt then his son, Robert & grandson Robert
PNNI V1 p 78; NR 30/6/2005 p67  
Lurgancantry House Clonallan . farm; 3km NE of Warrenpoint
old b/w map C11
Lurganconary Kilkeel 29: 27/12 a townland on White Water River, 3km SW of Kilkeel;109 acres; click here to see its position on a map; means ' long low ridge of the pass'; part of the Bagenal estate in 1552 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s; in 1659 there were 5 English /Scots families living here & the owner was Richard Houston Esq. ; National School here in 1863
SP; PNNI V3 p 10, 47; MO 5/8/2009 p6GV
Lurganconreagh Kilkeel an amalgamation of the two adjacent townlands, Lurganconary & Lurganreagh
Lurgandarraghboy Newry . alternate name for Derryboy townland in 1661
PNNI V1 p 21
Lurgan House Kilkeel . near Annalong; residence of Samuel Robinson in 1910
POD
Lurganreagh
Lurganriagh
Lurganreath
Kilkeel a townland of 218 acres; click here to see its position on a map; means ' grey long low ridge'; part of the Bagenal estate in 1552 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; in 1659 there were 15 Irish families living here
SP; PNNI V3 p 48; MO 5/8/2009 p6
Lurgantamry/ Lurgantanry
Lurgan teaury/
Lurgintory
Donaghcloney 20: 14/53 a townland 2km E of Donaghcloney village ; 202 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' summer ridge';proprietor Samuel Greer of Lurgan in 1836 -he held most of the land and sublet the remainder at £2.2.0- £2.10.0 an acre; in the southern extremity there were was a large deposit of smooth round stones near the Lagan River of 6 pounds in weight V12 p 59 OSM; PNNI V6 p 91
Lurgantarry Shankill  .
a townland 175 acres; in Co Armagh  
.
Lurganure Blaris  . a townland in Co. Antrim, N of Maze ; 246 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; sandy loam & clay soil; school here in 1836 V12 p28,31 OSM
Lurganville Moira 20: 18/59 a townland 4km SE of Moira; 585 acres click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' ridge of the hare';part of Rory Magennis district of Kilwarlin in 1609 ;school here in 1836; proprietor Marquis of Downshire in 1836 ; Catholic church here V12 p 120, 121 OSM; GIC; PNNI V6 p 290
Lurgenaniagh Donaghcloney . name of a hamlet in Banoge townland in 1609
PNNI V6 p 89
Lurgmare Donaghmore . alternate spelling for Lurganare townland in 1659 census
PNNI V1 p 103
Lurckerough Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Lurganreagh townland in Bangenal Rent Roll of 1575
PNNI V3 p 48
Lusky Kilmood 21: 47/61 there is a Lusky Bridge over Blackwater river 3km W of Killinchy;& there was a Lusky corn mill in Kilmood/ Ballybunden townland, owned by James McKeown in 1833; boiler explosion in scutch mill 31 Aug 1878 ; fire in scutch mill 31 Dec 1881
V7 p 96 OSM ; NC; DDW p 11
Lyetrom Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Leitrim townland in 1540
PNNI V3 p 46
Lynan Donaghcloney . an ancient hamlet in Annaghanoon townland in 1703
PNNI V6 p 85
Lynchs Hill Clonduff 29: 20/28 just W of Hilltown on the Mayobridge road  .
Lynwood Knockbreda . in Kings Rd, Knock; residence of Mrs McConnell in 1902
POD
Lyons Bridge Kilmore 21: 40/52 over the Ballynahinch river; near Raleagh townland  .
Lysise Drumballyroney . alternate spelling for Lissize townland in Rent Roll of 1692
PNNI V6 p 172
Lysmaghtknock Drumballyroney . an ancient land unit name in Ballybrick townland
PNNI V6 p 157
Lysmolyn Dunsford . see Lismolyn .
Lysise Drumgath . alternate spelling for Lissize townland on Rent Roll of 1692
PNNI V1 p 123
Lysnegerran Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Lisgarron in Bagenal Rent Roll of 1540
PNNI V 3 p 61
Lythe Rock Ardkeen 21: 53/64 in Strangford Lough, S off Mahee Island; 1 acre
PNNI V2 p 21