Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Drinn, Dromara

Ros Davies'
Co. Down, Northern Ireland
Family History Research Site
© Rosalind Davies 2001
Permission granted to reprint research for non-profit use only

Dundrum Castle

Place Names of Co. Down: Dru......- Dy.....

 

Drui..... Drum...-Druma... Drumb... Drumc..... Drumd....-Drumg... Drumh...-Druml....
Drumm... Drumn... Drumo...-Drumv... Du... Dy... .

 

Place Name Parish Map Ref Information
Druids Vale Grey Abbey 21: 55/74 farm, 6km NW of Grey Abbey  
Druingrinagh Drumballyorney . spelling for Drumdreenagh in Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V6 p 162
Drum Drumbeg tithes of fish granted to Lord Clandeboy in 1629 by Con O'Neale V17 p 133 OSM
Drum Cottage Drumbo . residence of William Macklin in 1850
MIs
Drum House Drumbeg 20: 30/67 farm estate; on river Lagan, S of Belfast; residence of late Miss Maxwell 28 Mar 1828 & William Smith Esq. in 1836; it was described as plain with a small wing at each side, was castellated & looking unfinished
BN; V7 p 53 OSM  
Drumacohey Newtownards . alternate name for Drumawhy townland in 1834 PNNI V2 p 229
Drumaconnell East & West Saintfield . townlands of 119 & 149 acres near Saintfield town; click here to see its location on a townland map ;in 1659 there were 8 English/Scots &1 Catholic family here; in 1837 there were 40 houses; 94 males & 88 females; middling quality land;58 farms; farms from 1-26 acres; rents from 20-30 shillings per acre; the proprietor then was Mr Price of Saintfield SP: SHM '94 p55 & '86 p 32; V 7 p 118 ,120 OSM
Drumadoney Dromara 20: 26/52 a townland 3km NW of Dromara; 854 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Sunday hill'; good soil V12 p 65 OSM
Drumadonnel
Drumadonnell
Drumgooland a townland 2km SW of Ballyward village; 1034 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; in the 1659 it was called Donogh Donell & there were 10 Irish families here only; by 1841 there were 151 families living in 148 houses with 357 males & 381 females; large bog here ; ancient Celtic cross found here in old graveyard & disused schoolhouse; suicide of Thomas Park after Revival meeting 7 Apr 1860; general graveyard here; school here DCPH p 39,47, 131; V3 p 23 OSM; DR: HMNI p93; GIC; NS; old b/w map H10; IP; DDPP p62P p 116;MO 7/04
Drumadonnell River Drumgooland 29: 24/38 runs from Magheramayo townland into the River Bann  .
Drumaghadone Dromore 20: 20/51 a townland 3 km S of Dromore; 314 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means ' kidney shaped ridge'; greater part held by James Wauchope after 1654 then held by bishops of Dromore until 1868; contains the remains of a old castle & tower & two ancient forts; south of Big Bog
PNNI V6 p 119,120; KPC p 12
Drumaghlis Kilmore 21; 41/52 a townland 4km W of Crossgar; 695 acres; click here to see its location on a map; means “ church hill or fort hill”; an ancient house ruins here; Presbyterian church here ; flax mil here in 1836 ; school here; annual school meeting, list of pupils,teachers etc. 15 Jul 1865; I have indexed 1-16 information from the Griffiths Valuiations of 1864 into the Surnames Index V17 p 89,91 OSM: B H; DR; GIC; TCC p 33; GV
Drumahay Killinchy 21: 43/59 3km W of Saintfield on Killyleagh road;in Aughnadarragh townland; hill ,314 feet above sea level
V7 p 86 OSM  
Drumahays Newtownards . alternate name for Drumawhy townland in Subsidy Roll of 1663 PNNI V2 p 228
Drumaknockan Dromore 20: 25/53 a townland 4km E of Dromore;480 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' ridge of the little hill'; hilly country V12 p 70 OSM; PNNI V6 p 120
Drumalane
Drumanlane
Newry . a townland 1km S of Newry town in Co. Armagh side; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s PNNI V1 p 23; MO 5/8/2009 p6. 
Drumalane House Newry . residence of residence of Hill Irvine c.in 1852 & Thomas D'Arcy Hoey in 1886 POD; PPNZ
Drumalig Saintfield 20: 36/62 a townland 3km S of Carryduff ;879 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ;in 1659 there were 13 English/ Scots families only living here; ;in 1837 there were 78 houses; 118 males & 198 females; best quality land; 27 farms; farms from 1-53 acres, average 12 acres; rents from 20-30 shillings an acre; the proprietors then were Mr Gordon of Floida manor & Mr Leslie of Donaghadee ;birthplace of Francis Hutcheson, philosopher who was born in 1694; rents reduced by E.F. Leslie Esq. 2 Mar 1850 SP: SHM '95 p56 & '86 p 32; V 7 p 118,120 OSM: DR
Drumanaghan Loughinisland 20: 38/42 a townland; also called Drumulcaw; 2km W of Seaforde; click here to see its location on a map; 447 acres;the population in 1841 was 328& in 1851 230& in 1861 131 people; drainage on Seaforde Estate 20 Mar 1847;near Seaforde, parents of Mary Carlin, child death in Workhouse 12 Feb 1876; I have transcribed the Tithe Applotment records for 28 land holders throughout the Surnames Index DR; TAB; HCDTD p40
Drumanakelly Loughinisland see Drumnakelly: Seaforde area
Drumanaquoile Kilmegan . alternate spelling for Drumnaquoile townland
DDW p 14
Drumandony Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Drumindoney townland in Subsidy Roll of 1663 PNNI V3 p 36
Drumaness Magheradrool 20: 39/49 village and townland of 761 acres; 4km SE of Ballynahinch off Newcastle road; click here to see its location on a map; means ' ridge of the waterfall' or “hill of the weasel”; click here for a painting and more information .
Drumanlane Newry  . see under Drumalane
.
Drumanmoe Shankill  .
possible Co Armagh or Antrim  
caora.com
Drumanock Dromore see Drumaknockan
Drumantine Donaghmore a townland on Co. Armagh border; 597 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' ridge of the fairy mound'; bog & ancient well here ; Catholic chapel called Glen chapel here ; Danes’s Cast here V17 p130 & V3 p7,8, 9 OSM; PNNI V1 p 99
Drumantine House Donaghmore . house & a farm of 272 acres ,held in fee by Arthur C. Innes in 1863; now a retreat for Catholic African missioneries; photo available
GV ; DDPP p38
Drumaran Tullylish 20: 7/48 alternate spelling for Drummarron; 1km S of Gilford V12 p 144 OSM
Drumardan
Drumardin
Castleboy/
Slanes
a townland 1km SW of Cloghy village; 147 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' ridge of the little height'; originally belonged to the manor of St John Hospitalliers; in 1659 there were 2 English/Scots & 4 Catholic families V17 p 125 & V7 p 18 OSM; O'L V1 p 416; PNNI V2 p 79; SP
Drumardin Quarter Castleboy a townland 1km SW of Cloghy village, to the W of Drumardin townland; 67 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; divided from Drumardin townland c. 1700 V17 p 125 OSM; PNNI V2 p 79
Drumarkin Drumballyroney 29: 21/34 a townland 1km E of Rathfriland; 201 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' ridge of the piglet'; originally elased by O'Roneys from the Magennis clan; proprietor General Meade in 1836; the largest farm was 11 acres; old leased 12 shillings an acre; new leases 21-30 shillings an acre; owned by trustees of Hon. Robert Meade in 1863 V3 p14, 18 OSM; GV
Drumaroad Loughinisland 20: 36/44 a townland 4km W of Seaforde; click here to see its location on a map; 803 acres ; means ' ridge of the road'; site of Savage's Castle in ancient times; a McCartan stronghold in 1600; in 1659 there were 3 English/Scots & 6 Catholic families here and the proprietor was Richard Savage Esq.; corn & flax mill here in 1836; Catholic & Presbyterian churches here; in 1841 the polulation was 512 but by 1851 it was 401 because of the famine & in 1861 313 people; school here in 1854; curious find near cromlech 26 Apr 1890 (NC); Post Office opened here in 1905; French Preident Charles de Gaulle's ancester, Patrick McCartan came from here; try www.drumaroad.com & http://www.drumaroadhistory.com/ O'L V1 p 75; MO 8/11/04; V17 p 95 OSM : BH; HCDTD pi,36, 38,39,40, 116-117, 120,176, 204, maps; DR;TIA; GIPR; MO 5/04
Drumatihugh Blaris- part  . a townland 34 acres; just N of Hillsborough section ;click here to see its location on a townland map .
Drumatihugh Hillsborough- part  . a townland of 262 acres; just W of Hillsborough; click here to see its location on a townland map; proprietor Lord Downshire; agent Mr Reilly in 1836; farms from 2-14 acres; rent on old leased 10 shillings, on new leases 28-30 shillings an acre; click here for a list charity subscribers in 1836
V12 p 85, 106 OSM 
Drumatticonor Kilmore  . see Drumnaconnor & Drumnaconagher
Drumauargan Aghaderg  . near Loughbrickland; residence of David Lucas Esq. in 1824 POD
Drumavan Loughinisland  . means ‘ ridge of the cattle enclosure’ LCB p 18
Drumawhy Newtownards 15:55/75 
a townland 4km ENE of Newtownards;1127 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' ridge of the cuckoo';  a school here in 1836; owned by Marquis of Londonderry in 1863; fire here 7 Jan 1888; cruelty case here 4 Oct 1890
V17 p 123 & V7 p 105, 112 OSM; NC;GV; PNNI V2 p 228
Drumballyroney Drumballyroney . a large parish in the centre of Co. Down; click here to see its townlands on a map; means ' ridge of O'Roney's place'; O'Roney were the main tenants of the Magennis here; as known as Drum & Drumlyn; several churches in the parish .
Drumbanagher Donaghmore . near Jerretspass; 2nd Presbyterian church here GIPR
Drumbanagher Castle Donaghmore . residence of Col. Maxwell C. Close Esq. in 1881 POD
Drumbane Moira 20: 14/62 1km N of Moira ;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' white ridge'; originally owned by O'Lavery clan; proprietor Sir R. Bateson in 1836 V12 p 120 OSM; PNNI V6 p 287
Drumbane House Moira . residence of Ralph Bullock in 1827 & John Gilliland in 1840 IIW #9233;old b/w map K2 ;FP
Drumbanew
Drumbanue
Clonduff . alternate name for Drumbonnif townland in rent roll of 1692 PNNI V3 p 86
Drumbeg Drumbeg 20: 30/67 a parish & townland of 376 acres; near the river Lagan, S of Belfast; click here for a townland map; in 1659 the proprietor was James Maxwell Esq. & there were 11 English/Scots & 2 Catholic families here; in 1837 the inhabitants were described as industrious, one half Scotch & mainly Presbyterian their occupation was agriculture; they burnt turf from the bogs in Drumbo; there was a corn mill & a Church of Ireland here; William Smith of Drum House was a major landowner then; :A County Down ghost story A.D. 1685 1st Mar 1856 SP: SHM '94 p56; V7 p 52,53 OSM: DR ; GIC
Drumberra Dromara . alternate name for Dromara in 1306
DDPP p72
Drumbo Drumbo 20: 32/65 parish & a townland of 1240 acres ; click here to see its location on a townland map) & village; 4km W of Carryduff; means ' cow's ridge; 12 townlands owned by Sir James Hamilton & Sir Hugh Montgomery in 1615; Drumbo Independent Company paraded 14 Nov 1792; 7616 inhabitants in the parish in 1821;contains O’Neills’ chair of stone; contained a Church of Ireland & Presbyterian church, a curious gravel pit & corn mill in 1833; the ruins of an ancient round tower; a school erected in 1836; the proprietor in 1833 was Mr. Colwell, a banker whose agent was S. Bryce of Belfast; 56 landholders; farms from 4- 30 acres; one mill; 2 public houses, 2 grocers and one cotton manufacturer in 1833;there were 240 labourers, 500 linen and cotton weavers who weave 22 hundred webs, some of the women do hand spinning earning 4 pence a day, other weavers are employed by Belfast manufacturers & earn 10d to 1s 6d per day; in the townland there were 144 houses; 74 families employed in agriculture, 44 in trade; 348 males & 322 females; 3 professional people & 40 servants in 1833; Mr. Munce's dispensary in the village served 114 patients in 1833 ; anti-Tithe meeting here 3 Jan 1835 & 21 Mar 1835 (NH); alleged manslaughter 4 Feb 1893; meeting of tenant famers 18 Feb 1893 (NC); Giant’s Ring in north of the parish near Shaw's Bridge NS; HCPCI p289; O'L B p 319V17 p 121 & V 7 p 54, 55, 56, 57 ,59, 60, 62 OSM ; NH; NC
Drumbo House Drumbo 20: 32/64 farm estate; 1km south of Drumbo village; a neat slate roofed house built c. 1833; William Smith of Drum House was a major landowner in 1836
V7 p 56 OSM 
Drumbo Rectory Drumbo 20: 32/67 in Ballycarn townland off Belfast to Lisburn road
Drumboe Saul . also called Collum Bovis; mentioned in a omen from St. Patrick's period; near the sea, could be Quoile
O'L V1 p 231,232
Drumbonniff Clonduff 29: 26/31 a townland 5km NE of Hilltown on the Kilcoo road; 523 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means " ridge shaped like a pig's back" ; held by Sir Arthur Magennis in 1609 then granted to Hieronmin Alexander of Dublin in 1634; owned by Marquis of Downshire in 1863
PNNI V3 p 72 ,86; GV

Drumboy or Dumboy

Dromara 20: 33/48 5km SW of Ballynahinch; means “yellow hill” BH
Drumbracklin Knockbreda . the name of the Knockbreckan Volunteers 19 Dec 1792
NS
Drumbree Magheralin . spelling for Drumnabreeze townland in1659 census
PNNI V6 p 234
Drumbridge Drumbeg . on the old road from Belfast to Lisburn; over the River Lagan; residence of Mr Smyth, proprietor of Ballycowan townland in 1833;
V7 p 52, 59 OSM; old b/w map O6
Drumbroneth
Drumbrony
Dromore south of Dromore town; 747 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' St. Bronach's ridge'; church land until 1868; Dromore 1st Presbyterian church here
V19 MIs ; GIC
Drumbuckwood Kilmegan . site of an ancient Catholic graveyard; just N of Castlewellan O'L V1 p 65
Drumca Loughinisland old parish name for Drumaroad & Clough; see Drumcaw DR
Drumcashelbone Drumcashellone
Drumcassellowen
Drumcassloan
Newry a townland 2km NNE of Newry town; 300 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'ridge of Owen's Cashel'; Mr Corry & Mr Boyd held most of the land but the rest rented at £2-3 an acre in 1836; good land & well cultivated; a good bridge on the Downpatrick road with 3 arches; tenants half Protestant & half Catholic in 1836; Newry river nearby where they caught trout, pike and eels V3 p 107 OSM; PNNI V1 p 24;DDPP p2
Drumcar Ballyphilip area . residence of Mr. McClintock 16 Aug 1834 NH
Drumcath Ballykinler . a Pre -Reformation rectory with the chapel in Rathcath -1583 O'L V1 p 117
Drumcaw
Drumlcaw
Loughinisland 20: 39/41 a townland 2km W of Clough;the name of an ancient Catholic parish; click here to see its location on a map; 856 acres; the rectory of Drumcaw was presented to Down Cathedral in 1609 by King James 1st; owned by Arthur Annesley then sold to David Ker family in 1786; corn mill here in 1836 ; the population in 1841 was 369 & in 1851 293& in 1861 249 people; major proprietor in 1863 was David S. Ker; tenant rights on Ker estate 30 Jun 1860 O'L V1 p 89 & B p 323; JML (PRONI-D1255/3/23); HCDTD p40; DR* 9/10/1970; V17 p 97 OSM;GV; DR
Drumcaw House Loughinisland 20: 39/42 2km NW of Clough near church
.
Drumchey Newtownards . alternate name for Crossnamuckley townland in 1675 PNNI V2 p 228
Drumchin Newtownards alternate name for Ballyalicark townland in 1623 V17 p 123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 217

Drumco
Drumcro

Magheralin a townland 1km E of Magherlin village; 427 acres:click here to see its location on a townland map;means ' ridge of huts'; has a bridge over river Lagan; originally belonged to Sir Art Magennis in 1609; Drumo & Drumcro joined together to make one townland; 4 mills here in 1836 V12 p 110, 111 OSM; PNNI V6 p 236
Drumcro House Magheralin 20: 13/58 farm on river Lagan; 1km S of Magheralin; called New Forge House in 1833
PNNI V6 p 237
Drumcon Annahilt 20: 33/58 hill on Ballynahinch to Lisburn road
Drumcro
Drumcrow
Drumcroe
Kilkeel 29: 29/16 a townland 2km NW of Kilkeel town; 339 acres; click here to see its location on a map;means ' ridge of the field'; part of the Bagenal Estate in 1552 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; in 1659 there were 12 Irish families living here & the owner was Patrick Modder O'Howen Esq.
CM ; SP; PNNI V3 p 35; MO 5/8/2009 p6
Drumcro Killinchy . name of an ancient church in Drumreagh townland; its graveyard is called Killkeeran O'L V1 p 347
Drumcullen
Drumquillen
Down . ancient name for Hollymount townland O'L V1 p 306
Drumcullin House Down 21: 45/44 farm near Hollymount estate, 3km SW of Downpatrick;residence of Rev F.H. Hall; death of Rev Hall 11 Jun 1881; residence of William Russell, solicior in 1900 & R.P. Whiteside in 1910 DR; POD
Drumdreenagh Drumdrinagh Drumballyroney 29: 22/35 a townland 2km NE of Rathfriland ;388 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' blackthorn ridge'; part of O'Roney's olding c. 1650; ford over river Bann here; school here in 1836 V3 p 13, 16, 17 ,18, 101 OSM; PNNI V6 p 162
Drumee Maghera 29: 35/35 a townland 2km SE of Castlewellan on the Newcastle road; 636 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; Protestant graveyard here; let to Rev. W. Annesley for £53 in 1833; murder of Edward McKee 30 Nov 1874 (DR & NC) O'L V1 p 56 & B p 20; DR; NC
Drumee House Maghera . residence of Sir Graham Larmour c. 1942 LM 1997 p12
Drumena
Drumeny
Drumeany
Kilcoo 29: 30/34 a townland E shore of Lough Island Reavy; 550 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' ridge of the mine'; held by Sir Arthur Magennis of Rathfriland in 1609 until 1622; site of an ancient cashel; charge of unlawful assembly 6 Nov 1886 DR:HMNI p93; IPP p 107; PNNI V3 p 100, 109
Drumetikelly Loughinisland on 1659 census; possibly Drumanakelly SP
Drumey Magheradrool alternate spelling for Drumaness in 1778 IIW V4 p101
Drumfad Donaghadee 21: 59/74 15:60/74 a townland 4km S of Donaghadee; 256 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' long ridge'; contains a spring impregnated with iron; in 1659 there were 11 English/Scots & 5 Catholic families and the proprietor was John Cunningham Esq.; old graveyard here; owned by George Dunbar in 1863; free boys school here in 1863 V17 p 124 & V7 p 45 OSM; GIC; SP; PNNI V2 p 190;GV
Drumfad Bay Donaghadee 15:61/75 2km S of Millisle village; opposite Drumfad townland .
Drumfin Inishargy . ancient townland now incorporated into Ballyobegan; site of an ancient chapel O'L V1 p 412, 429
Drumfronett Newry . old name for Croreagh townland c. 1157 PNNI V6 p 121
Drumgath Drumgath 29: 16/30 parish & townland of 375 acres; 4km W of Hilltown; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' ridge of the battles'; granted to Sir Arthur Magennis in 1609; old graveyard on ancient fort; property of See of Dromore in 1836; leased to Rev H. Johnson of stradbury; agent Mr Swan of Downpatrick in 1836 V3 p 20, 21 OSM; PNNI V1 p 116, 115
Drumgavelin Dromara: Magherahamlet 20: 35/48 a townland 5km SE of Dromara on Seaforde road; 546 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means “ hill of the little river fork”; Church of Ireland ( Templemoyle) & Presbyterian churches here ; Glebe House here; owned by Lord Moira in 1782 (324 acres of arable land, 13 acres of turf bog ) ; reported death from starvation to Board of Guardians 6 Mar 1880 V12 p 65, 66 OSM; EMLR; BH; DR; GIC; HMP
Drumgiven Kilmore 21: 40/54 a townland 5km NW of Crossgar; 410 acres; in 1659 the proprietor was David Jennedy Esq. ;there were14 English/Scots & 6 Catholic families here; annual school meeting, list of pupils ,teachers etc. 15 Jul 1865; click here to see its location on a map SP: SHM '94 p55; DR;TCC p 33
Drumgooland Drumgooland . a parish in the centre of Co. Down; click here to see its townlands on a map ; the parish school needed a new school master 18 Jul 1796; click here for photos and more information NS; DDPP p62
Drumgooland Cottage Drumgooland . residence of Rev. Robert Forde 4 Sep 1838 BN

Drumgollan Drumgooland

Loughinisland  . a townland 2km S of Loughinisland village; 455 acres; click here to see its location on a map; means 'shoulder ridge'; in 1659 there were 4 English/Scots & 8 Catholic families here; corn & flax mill in 1836; 3 ancient forts here; the population in 1841 was 199& in 1851 141& in 1861 106 people; kiln man wanted 14 Aug 1852; burning of McCammon's scutch mill 5 Nov 1864; I have indexed the acreage from Tithe Applotment Books 1823-1838 & full listings from dwellings 12-17 of Griffiths Valuations of 1864 in Surnames Index V17 p 95, 98 OSM: LCB p 81; DR; TCC p 33;HCDTD p38, 40 ;TAB; GV
Drumgooland House Loughinisland . farm; 1 km S of Loughinisland village old b/w map M 12

Drumgreena
Drumgreenah
Drumgungagh
Drumgronagh

Drumgath  . a townland 4km SW of Rathfriland; 439 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; name means' blackthorn hill' ;granted to Sir Arthur Magennis in 1609; proprietor General Meade; agent C. Brush of Rathfriland in 1836; farms were 5-15 acres; rents from 10-30 shillings an acre V3 p 21 OSM; PNNI V1 p 121
Drumgrernagh Drumballyroney . spelling for Drumdreenagh in 1659 census PNNI V6 p 162
Drumharke Tullylish . alternate spelling for Drumhorc townland on Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V6 p 338
Drumharned Ardquin or Ballehenery; Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM
Drum Hill Tullynakill 21: 51/66 overlooking Strangford Lough & Reagh island
Drumhirk Kilmood 21: 46/66 a townland 3km S of Comber;415 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1831 there were 40 houses; 30 families employed in agriculture& 5 in trade; 129 males & 132 females; 4 servants; the proprietor then was Lord Dufferin; there was a corn mill built in 1823 & a school established in 1818 V17 p 124 & V 7 p 94, 95, 96 OSM
Drumhirk Newtownards 15:52/77 a townland 4km NE of Newtownards; 869 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' ridge of the boar'; in 1659 there were 11 English/Scots & 4Catholic families ; a school there in 1836; railway line here in 1863; owned by Lord Dufferin & Claneboye in 1863; Young Men's Mutual Improvement Society entertainment 3 Jun 1882; opening of new National school 30 May 1885 V7 p 105 & V17 p 123; OSM; SP; NC; PNNI V2 p 229 ;GV

Drumhorc
Drumhork
Drumhurk

Tullylish 20: 9/48 a townland 2km S of Lawrencetown; 114 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' ridge of the boars'; originally owned by Sir Art Magennis in 1609; proprietor Thomas Waring Esq. in 1836 V12 p 143 OSM; PNNI V6 p 338
Drum House Drumbeg 20: 30/67 farm estate; on river Lagan, S of Belfast; residence of William Smith Esq. in 1836; it was described as plain with a small wing at each side, was castellated & looking unfinished;
V7 p 53 OSM  
Drumildoo Point Killinchy 21: 53/59 in Strangford Lough, off Ringhaddy townland
Drumilree Donaghmore . alternate name for Drummiller townland on Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V1 p 100
Druminagally Seapatrick see Drumnagally V12 p 123 OSM
Druminavady Seapatrick . alternate spelling for Drumnavaddy townland
PNNI V6 p 314
Drumindoney Kilkeel a townland of 143 acres; 2km NW of Kilkeel on Rostrevor Road; click here to see its location on a map; means' ridge of the church'; part of the Bagenal Estate in 1552 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s
CM; old b/w map D16; PNNI V3 p 35; MO 5/8/2009 p6
Drumindoney House Kilkeel . residence of Gen. John P. Maxwell in 1886 POD
Druminlane Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Drummanlane townland in Rent Roll of 1688 PNNI V3 p 37
Drumin Mourne Kilkeel . alternate name fo Drummanmore tonwland in Subsidy Roll of 1663 PNNI V3 p 37
Druminargle House Aghaderg . near Scarva; residence of Gracey Bros. in 1910 POD
Drumisky Tullylish . alternate name for Ballydugan townland in Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V6 p 330

Drumkeeragh Drumkera

Dromara or Magherahamlet

20: 33/47 a townland 5km SE of Dromara; 724 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' ridge of the sheep'; owned by Lord Moira in 1782 (432 acres of arable land, 8 acres of turf bog & 1 acre of lough) ; large deer park of Colonel Forde here HMP; EMLR;V12 p 65 OSM
Drumknockan Dromore see under Drumaknockan
Drumlagh Drumgath . alternate name for Drumlough +in Rent Roll of 1692
PNNI V1 p 117, 122
Drumlea Stream Clonduff 29: 26/26 in the Mourne Mountains near the source of the River Bann
PNNI V3 p 179 
Drumlee Mountain Clonduff . alternate name for Pigeon Rock Mountain in the Mournes PNNI V3 p 148
Drumlee Drumgooland 29: 27/36 a townland 2km S of Ballyward; small village & a townland of 541 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1659 Census it was called Dromlee and there were 4 Irish and 2 English/Scots families living here; by 1841 Census there were 79 familes with 193 males & 206 females; Presbyterian Seceding meeting house here; school established 1821 V3 p 22, 25 OSM; DCPH p 47,131; GIPR
Drumlin Magheralin 20: 12/55 a townland 2km E of Waringstown; 251 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means ' a small hill'; a church townland in 1609
PNNI V6 p 232
Drumlin Hill Tullylish . near Gilford; residence of George Joyce in 1824 & Steven Richardson in 1910 POD
Drumlin Lodge Hillsborough . farm; just N of Hillsborough town old b/w map L5
Drumlough Dromore 20: 26/56 a townland 6km NE of Dromore; 1092 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' ridge of the lake'; has hills & bogs & Drumlough Moss; Presbyterian church here V12 p 71, 72, 73, 76 OSM : GIPR: PNNI V6 p 122
Drumlough Drumgath 29: 19/32 a townland 2km SW of Rathfriland; 695 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means;' ridge of the lake'; lake in eastern end of parish; granted to Sir Arthur Magennis in 1609; bog here ; proprietor General Meade in 1836; farms from 4-20 acres; rents from 16-30 shillings an acre; suicide near Rathfriland 8 Jan 1841; fatal accident at the scutch mill, Francis McComish died 21& 24 Nov 1936 V3 p 19, 21 OSM: DR; PNNI V1 p 122; DR*
Drummachlist Loughinisland  . mentioned in the 1659 census; see Drumaghlis SP
Drummacunnell Saintfield . ancient name for Drumaconnell .
Drummanagher Loughinisland  . see under Drumanagher .
Drummanlane Kilkeel  . 86 acres;1km NE of Mill Bay; click here to see its location on a map; means' broad hillock'; in 1659 there were 15 Irish families living here & the owner was Richard Houston Esq.
CM; SP; PNNI V3 p 36
Drummanmore Kilkeel 29: 27/14 on White Water river, 3km W of Kilkeel; 324 acres; click here to see its location on a map; means ' large hillock'; part of the Bagenal Estate in 1552 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s; in 1659 there were 15 Irish families living here & the owner was Richard Houston Esq.
CM ; SP; PNNI V3 p10, 37; MO 5/8/2009 p6
Drummarragh Dromara means “ boat shaped hill”; alternate spelling for Dromara BH
Drummarron
Drummearren
Tullylish 20: 7/48 a townland near the village of Gilford; 836 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means kidney ridge';originally part of Magennis land then belonged to John Magill by 1666; ;has a lake & flow bog; residence of Sir William Johnston Bart; proprietor Sir William Johnston in 1836 ; V12 p 140, 143, 144 OSM; PNNI V6 p 337
Drummillar Aghaderg- part
20: 8/45 
a townland 2km NE of Scarva town; 325 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' eagle's ridge'; ancient cairn & fort on hill supposedly the grave of those killed in a battle in the valley ; belonged to Sir Art Magennis in 1609 then John Magill by 1680 V12 p 1, 2, 7 OSM; PNNI V6 p 35,36
Drummiller Donaghmore
.
a townland of 389 acres; 3 acres flooded in winter; click here to see its location on a townland map; corn mill on Newry river here in 1836 ; old fort here V3 p 8, 9,OSM
Drummiller Dromore 20: 23/52 a townland 4km SE of Dromore; 637 acres; ;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' eagle's ridge'; it was church lands c. 1836; black bog & mill here; bleaching premises here in 1836; Drummiler House here V12 p70,72,73 OSM; old b/w map J6; PNNI V6 p 123 & V1 p 100
Drummiller Tullylish- part 20: 7/45 a townland 3km S of Tullylish town; 179 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' eagle's ridge'; originally owned by Sir Art Magennis in 1609; small lake here ; proprietor Rev G.H.M. Johnston in 1836 ; the cairn was built in 1187 when the Danes were defeated by the Irish; the stones from the ancient cairn were used to build Monaghan's Bridge thus incurring the wrath of the fairies V12 p 143 OSM; BCT p 18; BIH p B; PNNI V6 p 339
Drummon Kilkeel . alternate name for Drummanmore townland in 1847
PNNI V3 p 37
Drummond Island Ardkeen 21: 55/61 4km W of Gransha townland; 11 acres; means ' island of the little ridge'
PNNI V2 p 19 
Drummore Dromore .
spelling for Dromore in 1659 Census
PNNI V6 p 107
Drummullan House Down .
2km SW of Downpatrick
old b/w map M13
Drummumteferry Magheralin .
alternate spelling for Drumnaferry townland in 1659 census
PNNI V6 p 235
Drummunagally Seapatrick .
alternate spelling for Drumnagally townland in 1659 census
PNNI V6 p 313
Drummykerne Shankill  .
could possibly be Drumnacarn 
caora.com
Drummynnekylle Kilkeel . alternate name for Drumindoney townland in rent roll of 1540
PNNI V3 p 35
Drumnabreeze Magheralin 20: 14/57 a townland 2km SE of Magheralin; 321 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' ridge of the high ground'; held by O'Laverty family in 1609
old b/w map J3; PNNI V6 p 233
Drumnabreeze House Magheralin . residence of Augustus Brush in 1886 POD
Drumnacarn Shankill  . in the southern part of the parish V12 p 138 OSM
Drumnaconnell Saintfield  .
see Drumaconnell 
Drumnaconnell House Saintfield 20; 39/58 manor house; 1 km SW of Saintfield

Drumnaconagher

Drumnaconnor

Kilmore 21: 40/51 a townland 5km SE of Ballynahinch near Downpatrick road;904 acres; click here to see its location on a map; corn & 2 flax mills in 1836 ; click here for my One-Place study file & a photo ; fire in Samuel Montgomery's bleach mill 12 Sep 1874; supposed infanticide 1 May 1880 TCC p 33; V 17 p 88, 89 ; DR
Drumnacoyle Kilmegan . see under Drumnaquoile .
Drumnadonnell Drumgooland . see Drumadonnell .
Drumnadreen Drumgath  . see Drumgreena V3 p 21 OSM
Drumnaferry Magheralin  . a townland 5km SE of Magherlain village; 140 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' ridge of Ferry's house'; originally belonged to Magennis clan then owned by George Sexton in 1632
PNNI V6 p 235
Drumnagally Seapatrick 20: 10/47 a townland 3km W of Banbridge; 315 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' O'Kelly's ridge';proprietor N.C. Whyte Esq. in 1836

V12 p 123, 126 OSM; PNNI V6 p 313

Drumnaguoile Kilmegan also known as Drumnaquoile
Drumna Hall Magheradrool . near Ballynahinch; owned by James Robb in 1712; bequeathed the lease of Maghertimpany to his son James in 1708; the Hall later became the Rectory and remained so until 1817; residence of William McCully Esq. in 1846
Drumnahare Aghaderg 20: 11/43 a townland 1km N of Loughbrickland town; 472 feet above sea level & on shore of Loughbrickland; 720 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' ridge of the standing stone'; ancient standing stone overlooking Loughbrickland Lake; owned by Art Oge Magennis in 1609; the Glebe school and house here in 1837 V12 p 8 OSM; PNNI V6 p 37
Drumna Iasdowan Dromore . spelling for Drumaghadone in 1659 census PNNI V6 p 119
Drumnakelly Loughinisland 20: 38/45 a townland 2km W of Seaforde; 250 acres; means ‘ the Nun’s hill’; click here to see its location on a map; in 1659 there were 11 English/Scots & 8 Catholic families here and the propietor was Edward Mulckamp Esq. ; the population in 1841 was 100 & in 1851 73 & in 1861 61 people LCB p 14,81; TCC p 30; HCDTD p38,40
Drumnaknockan Dromore . spelling for Drumaknockan in 1659 census
PNNI V6 p 120
Drumnamadie Seapatrick . alternmate spelling for Drumnavaddy townland on Subsidy Roll of 1663
PNNI V6 p 314
Drumnaquoile Kilmegan 20: 35/43  a townland 4km NE of Clough; 1036 acres; also known as Drumnaguoile; click here to see its location on a townland map; site of an ancient Friary; a McCartan stronghold in 1600; major proprietor in 1863 was William B. Forde; some members of the Gaelic Football team in 1917 were E. Dolan, John Bell, William Murland & John Burns; won Gaelic Athletics Association championship in 1929
O'L V1 p74 & B p 525, 526; HCDTD p122, 128,134,137; MO 8/11/04; GAA CS p 39; GV;  ; DR* 9/4/28R
Drumnascamph Clonduff 29: 21/33 a townland 2km SE of Rathfriland; 411 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ridge of the bare patch of rocks'; held by Sir Arthur Magennis of Rathfriland in 1609 then granted to Hieronim Alexander of Dublin in 1634; owned by Marquis of Downshire in 1863; Church Education Society School here in 1863
PNNI V3 p 72 , 86; GV ; TC p22
Drumnascamph Clonduff or Tullylish school closed in 1836 V12 p 101 OSM
Drumnascamp Tullylish Lawrencetown is in this townland; click here to see its location on a townland map; 394 acres; means' ridge of the bare patch of rocks'; originally owned by Glasney Magennis in 1609 then Marmaduke Whitechurch in 1618; Presbyterian church here ; flax mill; proprietor A. R. Stewart Esq.; in 1836 there was a mill for dressing flax V12 p 141,142, 143 OSM; GIC; PNNI V6 p 339
Drumnashane Aghaderg alternate name for Drumnahare townland V12 p 2 OSM
Drumnatracy Kilkeel . alternate name for Trassey in 1810 PNNI V3 p 173
Drumnavaddy Seapatrick in the north of the parish on the border with Magherally parish; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' ridge of the dog'; has a lough of 11 acres with a crannoge; originally belgoned to Con Mageniis in 1610 V12 p112, 123, 124, 127 OSM; PNNI V6 p 267; PNNI V6 p 314
Drumnavaddy House Seapatrick 20: 13/51 farm; 6km N of Banbridge; residence of David Hale in 1878
MIs
Drumneskaugh Clonduff . alternate name for Drumnascamph townland in 1659 census PNNI V3 p 87
Drumneth
Drumoth
Drumnaith
Magherally 20: 16/49 1km N of Magherally village; 434 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' ridge of the warrior'; originally belonged to Bishop of Dromore V12 p 114 OSM; PNNI V6 p 262
Drumniskeagh Dromore . spelling for Drumskee in Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V6 p 123
Drumnovoddry Seapatrick . alternate spelling for Drumnavaddy townland in 1659 census PNNI V6 p 314

Drumo

Magheralin see Drumcro .
Drumoan Inishargy . ancient townland now incorporated in Ballyobegan O'L V1 p 412
Drumondony Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Drumindoney townland on rent roll of 1688 PNNI V3 p 36
Drumonlane Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Drummanlane townland in1809 PNNI V3 p 37
Drumore Warrenpoint . alternate spelling for Dromore townland on Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V1 p 162

Drumra

Drumraw

Drumbo   a townland 5km S of Drumbo village; click here to see its location on a townland map136 acres; contains a hill ;near Bresagh townland; the proprietor in 1833 was Lord Downshire whose agent was Mr. Reilly of Hillsborough; 7 landholders; farms from 3- 19 acres; rents were from 25-28 shillings an acre; land quality middling; in 1833 there were 10 houses, 8 families employed in agriculture & 3 in trade; 40 males & 33 females; 7 servants ;cattle disease 30 Jun 1866 V7 p 58, 61 OSM: DR

Drumreagh
Drumreagh Upper

Kilbroney 29: 18/12 a townland of 487 acres & 522 acres; on the slopes of The Mournes, 4km N of Rostrevor; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' smooth ridge'; proprietor David Ross Esq., Lodge in 1836 V3 p 32 OSM; PNNI V1 p 143
Drumreagh Hill Kilbroney 29: 17/19 1km N of Rostrevor  .
Drumreagh Killinchy 21: 46/62 a townland 4km NW of Killinchy; 1096 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' the grey ridge'; granted to Munce brothers after their efforts for William of Orange at the Battle of the Boyne 1690; Catholic School here; school exams 14 Aug 1841; formation of science & art classes at school 29 Nov 1871; foundation stone of new Orange Hall 31 Mar 1883*; a general graveyard here which is mainly Catholic called Kilcairn or Killkeeran Phil McArthur; V7 p 86 ,91 OSM; DR;GV; GIC ; SHM '86 p32; O'L V1 p 347
Drumreagh Bridge Killinchy 21: 46/63 over Blackwater river near Kilmood; click here for a photo  .
Drumrenagh Drumballyroney . spelling for Drumdreenagh in 1659 census PNNI V6 p 162
Drumroad Loughinisland . see Drumaroad .
Drumroe Kilclief 21: 57/46 4km S of Strangford town; means ' red ridge' ; email me for a copy of 'The Hills of Old Drumroe' written by L. Breen; also known as Spital Quarter meaning a leper hospital here in 9th century; formerly part of The Glebe lands; an ancient Catholic graveyard here Inv 1997 p 11,16 & 2001 p 10 & 2002 p 30; O'L V1 p 209
Drumrowan
Drumroan
Inishargy . in Ballyobegan townland; name of an ancient church site belonging to Movilla Abbey; also called Drumfin O'L V1 p 429; PNNI V2 p 87
Drumsallagh Aghaderg 20: 9/41 a townland 2km SW of Loughbrickland town; 690 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; site of ancient St Francis’ monastery (c. 1420-1569) & old parish church ;also spelt Drimsallagh; means ' willow ridge'; owned by bishop of Dromore & sublet to Edward Trevor in 1618 V12 p 2,7 OSM; BIH p 10; PNNI V6 p 37,38; DDPP p147
Drumsallagh Inch 21: 46/47 farm, 3km NW of Downpatrick on Abbey road
Drumsesk
Drumseske
Kilbroney a townland on the shore, west of Rostrevor; 248 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means' barren ridge'; proprietor David Ross Esq. of the Lodge in 1836; bathing lodge here V3 p 32,35 OSM; PNNI V1 p 144
Drumsesk Cottage Kilbroney house & 1 acre in Drumsesk townland, near Rostrevor; residence of Hugh Carleton Esq. in 1846; leased by Robert Bowen in 1863 from Jane & Robert Bowen POD; GV
Drumshill Blaris mentioned in 1836 in county works program V12 p 42 OSM
Drumsillagh Hill Kilmegan . in Ballylough townland; site of an ancient Catholic graveyard O'L V1 p 65
Drumskee Dromore 6km SW of Dromore;248 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map;means ' ridge of the thornbush'; held by Sir Art Magennis in 1609 then John Verner in 1659 ; mill here in 1836 ; river Lagan runs through it V12 p 72 ,73, 78 OSM; PNNI V6 p 124
Drumskee House Donaghcloney 20: 15/52 farm; 3km SE of Donaghcloney village
PNNI V6 p 124 
Drumski Tullylish . alternate name of Rose Hall in 1732 PNNI V6 p 352
Drumsnade Magheradrool 20: 38/47 6km SSE of Ballynahinch; 561 acres; click here to see its location on a map; means ' ridge of the needles'; in 1659 there were 0 English/Scots & 8 Catholic families here; owned by Lord Moira in 1782 (332 acres of arable land, 17 acres of turf bog & 1 acre of lough) ; property of Colonel Forde in 1836 ; mainly Catholic families; poor soil; 40 landholders;I have indexed the full Griffiths Valuations for this townland throughout surnames index V17 p 99, 104 OSM; HMP; EMLR; HCDTD p38; TCC p 33
Drumtitonor Loughinisland   mentioned in the 1659 census; see Drumnaconnor SP
Drumulcaw Loughinisland 20: 38/42 also called Drumanaghan; 2km W of Seaforde; click here to see its location on a map;; 447 acres  .
Drumvale Drumbeg 20: 30/68 farm; on the banks of the river Lagan , south of Belfast  .
Drunegumon Drumballyroney . near Rathfriland; residence of Mrs. Jane Clark in 1819
POD
Dublin Hill Dromore 20: 17/54 farm, 3km NW of Dromore  .
Duchery Seapatrick 20: 13/44 see Dughery .
Duck Hole Magherally . nick name for Mullafernaghan railway station
PNNI V6 p 266
Duck Island
Newtownards
.
nickname for 2 worker's cottages 115 South Street; bounded by water
NDM p51
Duck Rock Tullynakill 21: 53/66 in Strangford Lough, near Reagh Island  .
Ducks Town Magheralin . a nick name for Magheralin village being a watery place
PNNI V6 p 228
Dufferin . . a small barony with the parishes of Killyleagh & Killinchy in it ; in Irish means' the black third'
O'L V1 p 340; LR 2005 p19
Dufferin Arms . . a hotel in Killyleagh; run by Mr. D. Orr in 1935
DR 25/5/1935
Dufferin Lodge Ballyculter . house in Dufferin Ave, Strangford, formerly the gate lodge & main entrance to Lord de Ros' Old Court Estate; photo available
LM 1987 p15
Duggans Hill Drumballyroney 29: 23/38 1km W of Ballyroney village, in Ballyroney townland; named after a previous owner
PNNI V6 p 180
Duggans Point Kilkeel 29: 24/13 at the southern tip of Mill Bay in Carlingford Lough near Greencastle

Duchery
Duchery
Dughary
Duckerry

Seapatrick 20: 13/44 3km S of Banbridge; 436 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' black hollow'; proprietor NC Whyte Esq. in 1836 ; hill 419 ft above sea level V12 p 123, 124, 126 OSM; PNNI V6 p 311
Dufferin Villas Bangor  . 4 residences overlooking Ballyholme Bay OS map 1901 2.06

Duglen

Dromara see Dooglen .
Dukestown Donaghcloney 20: 7/56 farm; 3km W of Waringstown  .
Dullisk Rock Inishargy 21: 58/63 in Strangford Lough, 2km W of Kircubbin
PNNI V2 p 96.
Dulse Rock Ballywalter 15:62/74 just off shore near Ballywhiskin .
Dulusk Cove Kilkeel 29: 39/27 in Irish Sea; 4km S of Newcastle
PNNI V3 p 58 
Dum Lough Kilmore . very small lake in Drumnaconnor townland BN 15/6/1764
Dumb Fort Dromore . ancient fort in Greenan townland near a ford in Lagan River
PNNI V6 p 129
Dumb Lough Killaney 20: 35;58 small lough beside Bow Lough near Mount Pleasant estate
Dumboy Dromara means “ yellow hill”; see Drumboy BH
Dunanelly Inch . see under Dunnanelly .
Dunarkin Kilmore . farml 2km SE of Crossgar
old b/w map P12
Dunavan Kilkeel . alternate name for Dunnaman townland in rent roll of 1688;
MOF p 1; PNNI V3 p 38
Dunavill Kilkeel . alternate name for Dunnaval townland in rent roll of 1688
PNNI V3 p 39
Dunawley Newtownards . contains parts of a large bog
V7 p 45 OSM
Dunbarton House Tullylish .20: 6/49 1km SW of Gilford; a Scottish Baronial castle, built by the Dickson brothers, who were partners in the Dunbar, Dickson & McMasters spinning company c. 1834; residence of John Walsh McMaster in 1872
PNNI V6 p 349.; OFB p135
Dunbeg Lower Dromara or Magherahamlet 20: 33/52 a townland 4km SW of Ballynahinch; click here to see its location on a map ; 289 acres: means “ small fort”; in 1659 there were 0 English/Scots & 14 Catholic families in Dunbeg V12 p 62, 63, 66 OSM: BH; HCDTD p38
Dunbeg Upper Dromara or Magherahamlet a townland of 385 acres ; click here to see its location on a map; has a lake & bog; good soil; click here for a photo V12 p 12 OSM
Dunbeg Lough Magherahamlet . 3km W of Spa old b/w map L10
Dunbarton House Tullylish . near Gilford; built in 1840s by John Walsh McMaster; residence of Hugh Dunbar McMaster in 1886; used as a hospital during WW1 & WW2; photo available
POD; OGSLL p22
Dunboy House Aghaderg . means 'yellow fort'; in Lenananny townland PNNI V6 p 43
Duncairn Bangor
.
villa in Seacliff Rd , Bangor; residence of D. Murray in 1901
POD
Duncey Island & Rock Killinchy . see under Dunsy Island .
Duncrowe Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Drumcro townland in rent roll of 1575 PNNI V3 p 35
Dundela Holywood . near Strandtown; Church of Ireland church here from c. 1864 GIPR
Dundela Villa Holywood . in Holywood Rd, Strandtown; residence of R. Thompson in 1902 POD
Dundela Knockbreda . in Knock Rd, East Belfast; residence of John Pyper in 1902
POD
Dundonald Dundonald 21 & 15: 42/74 a parish & a town (in Ballyregan townland) ;just SE of Belfast; click here to see its location on a townland map; click here for a photo and more information .
Dundonald Cottage Dundonald . residence of Mrs Carson in 1852 POD
Dundonald House Dundonald . on Flat Island near Knock Golf Course TMUOP p70; Q8/19 CBSA
Dundrinne
Dundrine
Kilmegan 1km E of Castlewellan town ;368 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; major proprietor in 1863 was Earl Annesley
DDW p 14 ; GV
Dundrinne House Kilmegan 29: 35/36 farm, on Ballybannon River; 2km SE of Castlewellan
Dundrum

Kilmegan

21: 40/37 a town and a townland of 279 acres; 3km S of Clough; click here for a photo and more information; click here to see its location on a townland map; means' fort of the ridge' .
Dundrum Bay Kilmegan . stretches from Rossglass to Newcastle on the Irish Sea; SS Great Britain aground Sep 1846; vessel stranded in storm 26 May 1855
MO 20/9/2006; DR*
Dundrum Castle Kilmegan . click here for a photo and more information ;a Norman castle
.
Dundrum House Kilmegan . just near Dundrum castle in the village; residence of Miss Gracey in 1910
old b/w map K13; POD
Dundrum Inner Bay Kilmegan 21: 41/38 small bay next to Dundrum village NW of main Dundrum Bay; young sharks netted here by fishermen 18 Oct 1935; article in Lecale Miscellany 2002 p 31 about Dundrum Bay lifeboat crews
DR* ; LM 2002 p 31
Dunedin Bangor
.
villa in Upper Clifton , Bangor; residence of Mrs. McAleryin 1901
POD
Duneight Blaris 20: 27/62 a townland 3km S of Lisburn; 416 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; school built 1820; mill here; Sunday school in 1836; site of Anglo-Norman motte & bailey called Duneight Fort with well preserved bank & dicth ; public works program instiagted for famine relief with road upgrade from Duneight schoolhouse & Leggycorry 28 May 1848 V12 p35, 36, 37, 38 OSM: HMNI p101; IPP p 109; FCS s2 p 9
Duneight House Blaris 20: 27/61 farm; 4km S of Lisburn; residence of William Steen Hunter in 1872
OFB p136
Dunenew Loughinisland 21: 41/43 see Dunnanew .
Dunesk Holywood . 37 Palmerston Rd, Sydenham; residence of Andrew Bell in 1902
POD
Dunesk Knockbreda . in Kings Rd, East Belfast; residence of William Agnew in 1902
POD

Dunevly
Dunavely
Dunevally
Donevally

Ardkeen 21: 61/55 a townland 5km N of Portaferry; 261 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means Echvily's fort' ; in 1659 there were 2 English/Scots & 8 Catholic families
O'L V1 p 421 ; PNNI V2 p 15; SP
Dungram Hill Kilmegan 29: 36/38 overlooks Ballylough 3km NE of Castlewellan
Duniris Bangor . villa in Farnham Rd, Bangor; built in1899 for Rev. William Patton; a boarding & day school in 1910
OS map 1902 2 .05; POD
Duniris Dundonald . house; 1km W of Dundonald village near Orange Hall; residence of James L. Galway in 1902
OS map 1902 5.10; POD
Dunkinmuck Drumbeg . ancient townland name; possibly Carnamuck
SP: SHM '94 p56

Dunladdy

Dunlady

Dundonald
15:43/76 
a townland 2km SE of Dundonald village; 544 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; its old name was Ballydimlady which means ' fort at the fork of the rivers'; small manor here in 1333; in 1659 there were 4 English/Scots families & 2 Catholic; the proprietor in 1837 was Lord Annesley whose agent was Mr Law of Castlewellan; bad quality land; farms from 10-70 acres; rent 30-40 shillings an acre; crops were potatoes & oats in 1837;
V7 p 41 ,65 OSM  ; TMUOP p59,75, 231
Dunlady House Dundonald . house & farm of 80 acres, on the road from Belfast to Donaghadee; had a young forest in 1836; seat of the Lambert family from 1720 ; leased by Thomas Killops in 1863 from Earl Annesley; b/w sketch available; residence of Thomas Killips in 1902
V7 p 65 OSM; GV; TMUOP p89; POD
Dunleath Arms Hotel Ballywalter .

build by Francis Joseph Bigger for Ulster Public House Association; run by J. Blackburn in 1910; photo available

POD ; LR 2008 p56
Dunleathglas Down just outside Downpatrick, near Saul Road; residence of W.M. Davies in 1901 & W.Y. Crichton in 1910
POD; OSM map
Dunleth Dundonald . early name for Dunlady; small manor here in 1333 TMUOP p59
Dunlevy Ardkeen see Dunevly
Dunloughan Bank Castleboy 21: 64/57 in Cloghy Bay, 3km SW of Portavogie; at low tide a group of rocks near the strand;
V7 p26 OSM  
Dunmore Dromara 20: 36/46 8km SE of Dromara on the Seaforde road;click here to see its location on a townland map; 725 acres; means “ large fort”; owned by Lord Moira in 1782 (432 acres of arable land, 18 acres of turf bog & 2 acres of lough) ; Catholic church here; school here in 1836; home of Mr. Crummie, large spinning out-sourcer; Poor Law district population was 3711 in 30 Nov 1839 V12 p 63, 64, 65 OSM; EMLR; BH; GIC ; DR*' HMP
Dunmore Mountain Dromara 20: 36/46 8km SE of Dromara
Dunmore Kilkeel Catholic chapel here in 1836 in Glasdrumman townland; means ' great fort' V3 p49 OSM; PNNI V3 p 58
Dunmore Head Kilkeel 29: 38/24 rocky part of coastline in the Irish Sea; 4km N of Annalong
Dunmurry Drumbeg a village in 1837; in the northern part of the parish; the River Glen is nearly dry in summer but in 1836 they constructed a dam, formed a mill-race for the supply of the bleach mills in the village;crops were corn & potatoes with a little flax; parish church; incendiary fires 27 Jan 1849 V7 p 52 OSM: DR
Dunnaman Kilkeel a townland 2km NW of Kilkeel on the Rostrevor Rd; 328 acres; part of the Bagenal Estate in 1552;click here to see its location on a map ; ancient court grave and Catholic Church in Massfort; in 1659 there were 2 Englsih/Scots & 7 Irish families here & the owner was Richard Houston Esq.; owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; there was a school here in 1880
CM: HMNI p88; SP;MOF p 1;PNNI V3 p 10, 38; MO 5/8/2009 p6
Dunnaman House Kilkeel 29: 29/14 farm, 2km W of Kilkeel town  .
Dunnan Drumbeg . alternate spelling for Drennan townland .
Dunnanelly
Dunanilly
Inch 21: 46/49 a townland 4km NW of Downpatrick; 719 acres;click here to see its location on a map; means ' fort of the rock or cliff); school here in 1836; V17 p 73 OSM; LR 2009 p51; TCC p 33
Dunnanew Loughinisland 21: 41/43 a townland 3km N of Clough; 383 acres; means ‘hill of the yews’; click here to see its location on a map; in 1659 there were 10 English/Scots & 9 Catholic families here and the proprietor was Richard Merimen / Marmion Esq.;the population in 1841 was 172 & in 1851 121 & in 1861 127 people; I have transcribed the Tithe Applotment records1823-1838 for land holders in the area throughout the Surnames Index; I have indexed the full listings from dwellings 1-15 of Griffiths Valuations of 1864 in Surnames Index LCB p 81;LR 2007 p74; TCC p 33;HCDTD p38,40; TAB; GV
Dunnaval Kilkeel 29: 28/13 a townland 2km WSW of Kilkeel; 273 acres; click here to see its location on a map; means ' fort of the apple tree'; part of the Bagenal estate in 1552 &owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s; in 1659 there were 2 English/Scots & 4 Irish families here & the owner was Richard Houston Esq.
CM ; SP; PNNI V3 p 10, 39; MO 5/8/ 2009 p6
Dunnyneill Saul  . island in Strangford Lough near Saul; photo available LWAG p 35
Dunnyneill Islands Killyleagh 2 islands; 2.5 km NE of Killyleagh in Strangford Lough; 2 acres; ancient name Dun-na-n- giull or the Fort of Hostages
O'L V1 p 350; LR 2004 p5-10
Dunnywater Kilkeel . residence of William Smith in 1910
POD
Dunnywater Bridge Kilkeel 29: 34/22 over the Annalong River, near Carrick Big mountain
Dunomow Bay Kilcoo . alternate name for Newcastle town in 1690 PNNI V3 p 118

Dunoraver
Dunover

Ballywalter 21: 60/71 a townland 2km NW of Ballywalter;480 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' fort of pride';ancient Norman fort here; Edward Maxwell was proprietor in 1623; in 1659 there were 5 English/Scots & 9 Catholic families; meeting of the Dunover Independent Corps 16 Jan 1793 (NS) ; windmill for grinding corn in 1836; murder of a male child 17 Apr 1886 (DR); serious fire 6 Dec 1879+; discovery of concealed birth 10 Apr 1886 (NC); school here V17 p 125 & V7 p 17 OSM;SP; NS; DR; NC; PNNI V2 p 70
Dunover House Ballywalter 21: 60/70 house & farm of 287 acres, in Dunover townland; property of Mr. Allen of Mount Panther in 1836; an old building with additions & surrounded by fir trees;held in fee by Jmes R Allen in 1863
V7 p 16 OSM ; GV
Dunravely Ardkeen see Dunevly V17 p 125 OSM

Dunsford
Dunsfort

Dunsford 21: 56/41 a parish & a village ; 4km N of Ardglass;click here to see its location on a townland map; named after Roger de Dunesford an English adventurer 1178; in 1766 there were 74 Protestant & 136 Catholic families in the parish; half townland sold by Alexander Hamilton to General Maxwell Browne in 1768; Church of Ireland & Catholic churches here ; Poor Law district population was 2000 in 30 Nov 1839; relief meeting 6 Feb 1847; list of subscribers 27 Feb 1886 O'L V1 p 175, 183, 307; V17 p 68, 69, 72 OSM : DR*; DR; LR 2005 p25
Duns(e)y Island Killinchy 21: 54/60 in Strangford Lough, 2km E of Ringhaddy townland; 33 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; named after St. Dunsheath ; early fish traps near here; owned by of T. Morrow in 1886
V7 p 86, 92 OSM ; O'L V1 p 345; POD ; LM 1996 p19
Dunsy Rock Killinchy 21: 55/59 in Strangford lough, 1km E of Dunsey Island; 1 acre
Dunturk Loughinisland 20: 35/44 a townland 5km W of Seaforde; click here to see its location on a map; 561 acres; means “ fort of the boar”; in 1659 there were 4 English/Scots & 4 Catholic families here; the population in 1841 was 365& in 1851 284 & in 1861 249 people BH; HCDTD p38,40
Dunville Park - . inauguration by Marquis of Dufferin and Ava 15 Aug 1891 NC
Durego Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Derryoge townland on rent roll of 1575 PNNI V3 p 34
Durnda Seapatrick . near Banbridge; residence of C.H. McCall J.P. in 1893 BWN
Durragh bowe Newry . alternate name for Derryboy townland in Benegal Rent Roll of 1575 PNNI V1 p 21
Duskinmuck Drumbeg . ancient townland name ; in 1659 there were 18 English/Scots & 2 Catholic families SP
Dynevor Knockbreda . in Knock Rd, East Belfast; residence of Martha Matthews in 1902
POD
Dysart
Dysert
Newry . alternate spelling for Desert towland in Bagenal Rent Roll of 1575 PNNI V1 p 22