Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Castlewellan Castle

Ros Davies'
Co. Down, Northern Ireland Family History Research Site

© Rosalind Davies 2001
Permission granted to reprint research for non-profit use only

Churchtown, Ballyculter

Place Names of Co. Down: Ca....- Ch.....

Ca.....Ce.....Ch....

Place Names Parish Map Ref Information
Cabin Hill Holywood .

house & farm of 39 acres in Ballycloghan townland, ; near Stormont Castle; residence of Dr. William Drennan (one of the founders of the United Irishmen movement c. 1798; John Dinnen in 1852; leased by John Dinnen in 1863 from Viscount Bangor ; residence of Robert James McMordie c. 1907; official residence of Northern Ireland Prime Minister, William Craig c. 1920; now the preparatory department for Campbell College

old b/w map R6; Irish World NY; POD;p GV; LR 2013 p8; P8/19 CBSA; OS map 1902 5.09
Cabragh Clonallan 29: 14/30 3km NNW of Mayobridge village; 319 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' rough land'; 2 scutch mills in 1836 V3 p 1 OSM; PNNI V1 p 66
Cabragh
Cabra
Clonduff .

a townland E of Rathfriland; 267 acres; means " poor / rough land";originally owned by Magennis family; land held by George H. Gartlan in 1863 who had gave land for a school in 1854; Catholic chapel & Parochial house here;
two players in 'Red Hand' Gaelic Football team in 1887 were James McAleavey of lenish; James Magenis of Ballyweely, they practised in John McLoughlin's meadow; members of the Gaelic Football team in 1916-1918 were Charles Woods, John Flanagan, Mick Goodman, Tom Rafferty, Mick Macken, Michael McAlindon, Eddie McLoughlin, John McPolin, Eddie Gribben, James Fitzsimons, John Conroy, Patrick devlin, Michael Devlin, James McConville, Dan McConville, James Cullen, James Magill, Frank O'Hare, Jack Lively, John O'Hagan, Bernard O'Hagan, Patrick J. Morgan, Roger McPolin, Arthur O'Hare, Patrick Hagan, Patrick Morgan, Stpehen McPolin, Pat Hagan, J. Morgan, A. Downey, J. McArdle, Edward Campbell, J. Moore, D. Brennan, J. Berry, G. Butterfield, J. Butterfield, B. O'Hagan & A. Ronan

V3 p 3 OSM; GV; GIC; GAA CS p 28, 42 ; AR p 3; PNNI V3 p 69, 83; TC p17
Cabra House Clonduff 29: 25/34 a Georgian house, 3km W of Kilcoo on Rathfriland Road; surrounded by parklands; built by Andrew McMullan J.P. of Castlewellan in early 19th century;one of his daughters married George Henry Gartland & succeeded to the property in 1849, still there in 1886 & then Watts families with Mr. JohnWatts there in 1963
AR p 1,2; POD; TC p17
Cabra Towers Clonduff 29: 26/34 farm, 2km NW of Kilcoo in Islandmoyle townland; built by John McKay who went to England and prospered, returned home to farm & become a magistrate c. 1900
TC p24

Cabra

Cabragh

Hillsborough 20: 29/59 a townland 4km E of Hillsborough; 865 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; proprietor Mr Mussenden; Agent Rev Mr Corner in 1836; good quality land; farms were from 5-20 acres; rents from 25-40 shillings an acre; school rebuilt 1824 ; Taton's corn mill here in 1834 V12 p 85, 95, 100 OSM
Cahard Kilmore 21: 40/56 a townland 4km NW of Crossgar; 511 acres; means “high bog”; in 1659 there were 2 English/Scots & 20 Catholic families here; Cahard Flute Band formed 1877 in Orange Hall; click here to see its location on a map BH; SP: SHM '94 p55; SHM '86 p 61; TCC p 33
Cahard Fort Saintfield 20; 39/55 ancient rath near Ballymacaramery townland
Cahard Hill Saintfield 20; 39/56 next to Creevy Lough on the back road to Saintfield
Cahard Point Killinchy 21: 54/59 in Strangford Lough, on Islandmore , 5km SE of Killinchy
Cahir Vor Loughinisland means ‘ big seat’; in Tannaghmore townland; siet of an ancient Catholic church & graveyard LCB p 81; O'L V1 p 92
Cairnbane Newry steeplechase & races in 1836 V3 p 72 OSM
Cairnburn Cottages Holywood . in Old Holywood Rd, Strandtown; residence of Mrs James Malcolmson in 1902 POD
Cairnburn Cottages Holywood . in Old Holywood Rd, Strandtown; 3 residences in 1902 POD
Cairngaver Newtownards 15:45/77 214m above sea level; part of a range in the northern side of the parish; cairn at the top; means' goat's cairn'
V7 p 64 ,73 OSM; PNNI V2 p 237
Cairn Hill Newtownards . highest hill in Holywood Hills range; see Cairngaver TMUOP p33
Cairnhill Newry . residence of Robert A. Mullan Esq. in 1881
POD
Cairnshill Knockbreda 20: 36/69 farm; 2km SE of Newtownbreda
Cairn Park Garvaghy . a field with ancient cairn in Carnew townland PNNI V6 p 195
Cairn Point Bangor . rocks on Copeland Island BU 30/9/1842
Cairntaggart Ballyculter see under Carrintaggart .
Cairn Wood Dundonald
15:44/77
several acres of wooded land near Cairngaver Hill ; 4km NE of Dundonald .
Caldwally Knockbreda . near Newtownbreda; estate of Mr. Portis Esq. in 1777
SHM '98 p42
Calf Island Ardkeen 21: 53/64 in Strangford, just NE off Rainey Island;3 acres; near Killinchy; calves grazed here since 1617; leased by Hamilton Patton in 1863 from Robert Gordon
V7 p3 OSM; PNNI V2 p 18 ; GV
Calf Rock Tullynakill 21: 52/66 in Strangford Lough, 1km N of Reagh Island  .
Calhame Park Castleboy 21: 63/57 farm; next to Cloghy Bay in Irish Sea; Scottish name means ' cold homestead'; residence of Jane McGuire in 1856
 PNNI V2 p 81; CR
Calhame Brae Killinchy . farm; residence of William Russell in 1910
POD
Callintrough Comber . see Cullintrough .
Calun Hill Killinchy . in Ballycloughan townland; residence of John Dirmen in 1848
IIW #18761
Cam Island Ardglass . ancient name for Coney Island townland
LM 1999 p89
Cambray House Donaghcloney 20: 10/56 just N of Waringstown; name refers to the linen trade; residence of John Henning, linen merchant in 1851
PNNI V6 p 98; Registry of Deeds, Dublin Vol 185303 p195
Campbell College Holywood . just W of Stormont Castle ; built 1891-1894 on 70 acre site; an elite school ; originally called Belmont; supplied miitary training for WW1; photo of winning Rubgy team 1917 & Rifle team of 1930 available
TMUOP p141;OS map 1902 5.09; NDM p129, 141
Campbell Cottage Holywood . the gate lodge for Campbell College on Hawthornden Road; residence of William J. Hope (joiner) in 1929 ; b/w photo available ACC p113
Campbell's Lock Aghaderg . on the Newry Canal; just N of Scarva in Glenloughan townland; click here for a photo PE
Campbells Town Inch . now called Cotter's Hill PR
Camlin Blaris in 1836 the applotters were Edward Bell & William Scott; appraisers were John Walker & William Scott V12 p 40, 42 OSM
Camlough Newry 29: 3/27 a village; 5km W of Newry in Co. Armagh; Catholic church here; population in 1870 was 224
POD
Camperdown Dundonald 21: 44/72 a house & farm of 47 acres in Ballyrainey townland, 5km SE of Dundonald; residence of Dr Herron in 1833 & Mrs Catherine McMinn in 1846; residence of William Douglass in 1852; leased by William Douglas in 1863 from Mary Blakiston-Houston & James Fisher in 1870 & 1899; railway halt here c. 1920
TMUOP p116,127, 146;GV; POD
Camp Hill vallyculter . near Tullyratty Dam ; photo available
Inv 2011 p32
Camp Hill Comber 21: 45/69 just S of Comber town  .
Camp Lodge Blaris . residence of George W. Braddell in 1852
POD
Canadian Villas Knockbreda . in Kings Rd, Belfast ; a duplex in 1902 POD
Canmers Buildings Knockbreda . in 7 Albertbridge Rd, East Belfast; residential in 1902
POD
Cannemstowne Bright . ancient name for Conianstown townland
LM 1999 p89
Cannon Hill Dromore 20: 21/54 hill ; just E of Dromore; has a Norman motte & an ancient rath
PNNI V6 p 117
Cannon Rock Slanes 21: 68/54 5km E of coast from Newcastle in Irish Sea  .
Cannoreagh Donaghadee
see under Carryreagh 
V17 p 124 OSM
Cannyreagh Donaghadee . see under Carryreagh
V7 p 45 OSM
Canoneene Clonallan . alternate spelling for Carnmeen townland on Rent Roll of 1692
PNNI V1 p 67
Canoneene Kilbroney . alterante name for Levallyclanone townland in Rent Roll of 1692
PNNI V1 p 149
Caol Warrenpoint . alternate name for Narrowwater in 1252; Gaelic for 'narrow'
PNNI V1 p 163
Capel Bridge Killinchy 21: 45/60 over Capel Water which runs into the Blackwater river  .
Capeldale Killinchy 21: 46/60 farm, 4km W of Killinchy on Saintfield road
Cappagh Annaclone 20: 15/43 a townland 4km SE of Banbridge; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ; tilled plot'; bog here ; corn & flax mill in 1836; pronounced Cappy; 475 acres; proprietor William S. Crawford Esq.; 2 mills in 1836' site of Cappagh Fort on hill, 412 feet, in NE V12 p 14, 16, 18 OSM; PNNI V6 p 70
Cappel-na-coole .
Kilclief
in Ballyorgan townland; means ' chapel at the back of a hill'; name of an ancient Catholic chapel O'L V1 p 201
Cappy Annaclone . spelling for Cappagh townland in 1659 Census PNNI V6 p 69
Caraban Bright  . altternate spelling for Carrowbane townland .
Caracasey
Carneskesy
Down or Ballee  . residence of William Keown in 1784 & Felix Keown in 1824 MID p 15; MIs
Caradorn Killaney . joined to Ballymacranemy in 1837; there were 57 farms from 2-25 acres
V7 p 120 OSM
Caravanish
Ballee . ancient townland; now part of the Glebe near Drumroe townland; means ' Manu's quarter; belonged to the Archdeacon in 1836; site of an ancient Mass station; also a laneway; hurley was played here in 1800s; Irish spoken here until 1800
Inv 1997 p 42 & 2000 p 23,29 & 2002 p 15, 33
Caravanny Saul  . see under Carrowvanny
Carbogan Donaghmore . alternate spelling for Cargabane townland NCT
Carballey
Carbolley
Garvaghy . alternate spellings for Corbally townland PNNI V6 p 196
Carbray House Donaghcloney . farm; 1km NE of Waringstown old b/w map H3
Carcreeghy Newry the proprietor Smythson Corry Esq. of Newry, built houses on the land for his tenants & charges them 8% a year;mainly Catholics; undulating surface with good quality land; rents from 42-50 shillings an acre; crops were wheat , oats, potatoes & flax in 1836; the road from Dublin to Belfast passes on the wstern side of the townland V3 p 105 OSM
Carcricay Kilkeel . alternate name for Corcreaghan townland in Subsidy Roll of 1663 PNNI V3 p 32
Carcullion Clonduff 29: 21/27  a townland of 1453 acres: on the slopes of The Mournes; the town of Hilltown is in this townland; click here to see its position on a townland map; means " rough ground with holly bushes"; held by Magennis family in 1612 then Henry O'Neill of Co. Antrim in 1622; this land was forfeited to the crown in 1641 & given to Hill family; Hilltown is now situated in this townland ;5 corn mill here on Bann river in 1836 (one owned by O'Hagan family & some owned by Lindsay family; owned by Marquis of Downshire in 1863 V3 p 5 OSM; DDPP p105; AR p 3; MSWAG p77; PNNI V3 p 72, 83; GV; TC p18
Carcullion River Clonduff 29: 20/27 rises in the west Mournes and runs into the Leitrim river 2km S of Hilltown
Cardew Point Killinchy 21: 51/64 in Strangford Lough, 3km NE of Killinchy
Cardy
Cardie
Grey Abbey 21: 58/70 village & townland; 3km N of Grey Abbey; 513 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' the forge'; a grant from King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomery in 1623 V17 p 123 & V7 p 68 OSM; PNNI V2 p 206
Carelly Newry . alternate spelling for Curley townalnd in 1808
IIW V4 p 177
Carewbagheran Ballee . alternate spelling for Carrowbagheran townland in 1782
MIs
Cargabane
Cargabawn
Donaghmore 29: 11/35 a townland 8km W of Rathfriland; 240 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' white rocky place'; originally owned by Magennis clan ; Methodist church here
GIC; PNNI V1 p 96
Cargabane House Donaghmore 29: 12/35 farm, 8km WNW of Rathfriland;
Cargacreevy
Cargycreevy
Annahilt 20: 33/59 a townland of 708 acres: on the Ballynahinch to Lisburn road; click here to see its location on a map; means ' rock of the great tree'; owned by Arthur Annesley then sold to David Ker family in 1786; 68 families in the census without surnames of 1823, 38 employed in agriculture, 23 in trade, 21 servants; the proprietor then was D. Ker Esq. of Portavoe whose agent was Mr Black of Ballynahinch or Mr Stephenson; 41 landholders; farms were from 3-24 acres with one of 75 acres; rents from £2-3 an acre; good land; crops were potatoes, what, oats & barley; Presbyterian church here: means “ rock of branchy place”; opening of Masonic hall 4 Sep 1869 DR* 3/12/03 ; JML (PRONI-D1255/3/23; HMP; V12 p 21, 22 OSM : BH;DR; GIPR: GIC

Cargacroy

Cargycroy


Drumbo
20: 30/60 a townland of 688 acres; on Ravernet river, 5km SE of Lisburn; click here to see its location on a map; the proprietor in 1833 was Mr. Hunter of Lisburn whose agent was Rev. E.J. Cordner of Lisburn; 37 landholders; rent was from 30-40 shillings an acre; a corn mill & a school established in 1828; in 1833 there were 58 houses; 40 families employed in agriculture, 13 in trade;158 males; 162 females; 15 people involved in manufacture,1 professional, 14 servants
V7 p 58, 61 OSM 
Cargagh Ballyculter a townland 2km SSW of Strangford town; click here to see its location on a townland map; means' rocky area'; Catholic chapel here V17 p30 OSM; GIC; Inv 2001 p 10

Cargagh

Cargaghnabraig

Down a townland 4km SW of Downpatrick; 247 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; partly bought by John Trotter in 1777; owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford & Francis Savage Esq. & proprietor Lord H.Savage in 1836; 20 houses; 12 families employed in agriculture & 4 in trade; 47 males & 48 females; 3 manufacturers & 3 servants V17 p 52, 56, 57 OSM; LM 1996 p51; LM 1996 p51
Cargagh House Down 21: 45/43 on Clough road, 4km SW of Downpatrick ; residence of Dr. Carlisle c. 1908
old b/w map M13 ; LR 2012 p 79
Cargagh Road/ Quarter Inch . just south of Annacloy & one of its 5 quarters; means ' rocky' ; owned by the Southwell Estate & leased to George Robinson & James Connery's executors in 1752; James Hutton leased a 104 acre farm here in 1863 from David S. Ker LR 2009 p51; ; LM 1991 p25; GV
Cargaghban
Donaghmore . alternate spelling for Cargabane townland in 1659 census PNNI V1 p 96
Cargaghy Donaghmore . alternate name fo Carrikcrovaddy townland in 1659 census PNNI V1 p 96
Carganagh,Carginagh,
Carghagh , Cargnaugh , Cargins
Kilkeel . alternate names for Carrigenagh townland PNNI V3 p 31
Cargy Kilclief . in Killard townland; site of an ancient Catholic chapel called Kenles O'L V1 p 181

Cargygray
Cargagray
Cargyoay
Cargygary

Annahilt 20; 31/55 a townland of 470 acres; on the Ballynahinch to Hillsborough road; click here to see its location on a map; means "grey rocks"; 48 families in the census without surnames of 1823, 31 in agriculture, 12 in trade, 25 servants; site of Presbyterian church BH; V12 p 20, 21 OSM; GIPR;GIC; HMP
Cariff
Cariff Hills
Kilclief ancient townland; means 'shooting rabbits' or ' heather quarter'; part of Glebe lands in 1592; in Drumroe townland; hurley played here on Simon's Hill in 1880s Inv 1997 p 10 & 2000 p 50 & 2001 p 10 & 2002 p 15, 32,33; O'L V1 p 209
Carinamalert Witter alternate spelling for Ballyfinragh townland in 1661 V17 p 124 OSM; PNNI V2
Carleton House Blaris . in Lisburn; residence of Henry Parker in 1869 AIPD
Carleton's Bridge Newtownards . near the border of the barony FCD s2 p 9
Carlin Ballyculter near Cromie's Bog & Tullyratty; Quinn's shop in 1880s Inv 1997 p 50 & 1999 p 20
Carlingford Lough - . a Norse name which means 'the fiord of Carlinn' ; an inlet off Irish sea; the outlet for Newry River; separates Co Lough from Co Down
PNNI V1 p 81; JMLSG 2010 p67
Carman's Inn Moira . a farm; residence of Thomas Heron in 1910
POD
Carman's Inn Saintfield . in Church St, Saintfield ; proprietor was John McCurtney in 1811
POD
Carmeen Clonallan . alternate spelling for Carnmeen townland
Carmoss Drumbo near Carryduff; McCormick murdered 5 Oct 1850 DR
Carn (The) Clonduff . part of the Mourne Mountains; 2919 feet above sea level
V3 p 5 OSM
Carnaboy / Carraboy
Saul
. a house cluster between Ballysuggan & Slievegran Roads, on the south side of Ballysugagh townland PE
Carnacally Kilmore . see Carnacully
Carnacally Newry 29: 11/32 a townland 6km NE of Newry town; 516 acres ; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' MacKelly's quarter'; owned by Newry Abbey in 1157; proprietor Lady Joslin of Donaghadee whose agent was Leonix Biggars of Dundalk in 1836; mainly Catholic tenants ; main names Torley, Ogg, Allice, Hamish, Row, Neil & Arts; leases 41 years at 48 shillings an acre; undulating surface with reddish clay and granite soil; crops were wheat, oats, barley & potatoes V3 p 106 OSM; DDPP p2; PNNI V1 p 11

Carnacally
Carnacully
Carnakelly

Kilmore 21: 43/51 a townland 2km SW of Crossgar; 427 acres; click here to see its location on a map; corn mill in 1836 small quarry: sale of townland 29 Oct 1853: Hugh Gribben charged with having an illicit still 24 Feb 1855; mainly owned by Right Rev. Cornelius Denvir in 1863; Church of Ireland here TCC p 33; V 17 p 88,92 OSM: DR; GIC; GV; O'L V1 p 329

Carnacally
House

Kilmore . built early 1800s; a large 2 storey house with barns on either side forming a courtyard; residence of John Marner in 1876 PE
Carnacaville Maghera a townland ; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means Mac Cathmhaoils or McCavill's townland; Church of Ireland here; let to Rev. W. Anesley in 1833; Eugene A. Conwell, poet, from Carnacaville House 19 Jan 1839; school built 1838; school still there LM 1999 p12; O'L V1 p 56 & B p 20; DR; GIC; PE
Carnacaw Ballee alternate spelling for Carrownacaw townland .
Carnagran Saul . alternate name for Slievegran; high ground on the east side of Slievenagriddle PE

Carnalbanagh
East & West

Moira Moira town is in these townlands; 22 acres & 11 acres ; means ' cairn of the Scotsmen'; Rath of Moira here; originally belonged to the O'Lavery family; proprietor Sir R. Bateson in 1836; 2 Presbyterian churches here; click here to see its location on a townland map V12 p 118, 120 OSM; GIPR: GIC; PNNI V6 p 284

Carnalea
Carnaleigh

Bangor
15:49/92 
266 acres; 2km W of Bangor;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' small mound of the calf'; in 1659 there were 13 Scots/English & 2 Catholic families; site of a railway station in 1863 V17 p124 & V7 p 19 OSM: NWAG p37: BM; PNNI V2 p 161; SP;GV
Carnlea House Bangor
.
in Bryansburn Rd, Bangor near Golf Course; house & farm of 11 acres; leased by Henry T. Higginson in 1863 from David S. Ker GV; OS map 1902 2.05
Carnalroe Drumgooland 20: 28/40 farm; 3km N of Ballyward
Carnamuck Knockbreda townland, 1km N of Castlereagh; 225 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map
Carnamuck House Knockbreda . house & 72 acres ; leased by John Jackson in 1863 from Marquis of Downshire GV

Carnanny
Carnany

Drumgath 5km SW of Rathfriland; 337 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means " bird's rock" ; half belonged to Rowland Savage & half to Mrs. Bagnall in 1657; proprietor Major Frood of Dundalk in 1836 ; farms from 4-30 acres; rents were from 10-30 shillings an acre leases for two lives V3 p 21 OSM; PNNI V1 p 120
Carnaney House Drumgath 29: 16/29 far, 2km N of Mayobridge
Carnareagh Fort Kilmegan . 3km NE of Castlewellan
old b/w map L 12
Carnashoke Kilclief 21: 58/44 ancient townland area; 1km W of Kilclief village; means ' Hawk's Quarter'; Fr. Maginn built a school here in 1858
Inv 2000 p 44 ; Inv 2007 p3-4
Carnasure Comber 21: 46/68 1km S of Comber; 399 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1831 there were 85 males& 93 females living in this townland; proprietor in 1836 was Mr. Andrews Esq. of Comber who acted as his own agent;200 acres were farmed by himself; good quality land; old leases were at 22 shillings; rent in 1836 was 40-50 shillings an acre; the farms were from 10-40 acres; railway line here in 1863
V7 p 3, 40, 42 OSM ; GV
Carnesure House Comber . on the Killinchy Road; built by James Andrews in 1863, lived there till 1870; residence of James Davidson Esq. in 1887 ACOC p13, 82
Carnathen Place Donaghadee . 5 houses in Townparks townland GV
Carnbane Blaris 3km SSW of Lisburn; click here to see its location on a townland map ; 527 acres: residence of Hugh Moor of Eglantine, Mr Scott, Col. Hawkshaw & Lieut. Clark in this townland in 1836 V12 p 32, 107 OSM
Carnbane House Blaris 20: 25/62 farm; 3km S of Lisburn on Hillsborough road; residence of Hugh Moor Esq. in 1836 & D. Pedlow in 1910
POD
Carnbane Kilcoo 29: 30/34 ancient grave cairn , SE of Lough Island Reavy near Drumena Cashel
PNNI V3 p 117 
Carnbane Newry 29:7/30 a townland on River Newry ,3km NNW of Newry town; 200 acres; in Co Armagh in 1999; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'white cairn'
PNNI V1 p 12
Carnean Ballee  .
could possibly be Carnmeen
V17 p 22 OSM
Carnegran Saul  . Murphy family residence in 1875 MIDp 160
Carnen House ? . death of Mrs James Cowan here 12 Jul 1834 NH
Carneskesy
Caracasey
Down or Ballee  . residence of William Keown in 1784 & Felix Keown in 1824 MID p 15; MIs
Carnesure Comber . see Carnasure .
Carnew Garvaghy  . a townland SE of Garvaghy village; 926 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Aodh's cairn'; hill 753 ft; bog; owned by Sir Art Magennis in 1609; proprietor Capt. Cowan of Annahilt & Mr. McCreedy in 1836; school here V12 p 79, 80 ,81 OSM; PNNI V6 p 194
Carnew Cottage Garvaghy . 6km SW of Dromara town; residence of Mr Cosby Esq. in 1836 & William B. Meeke in 1910
V12 p 80 OSM ; old b/w map I 8; POD
Carnew Hill Garvaghy . in Carnew townand; the highest point in the parish at 753 feet
ARF
Carnew House Garvaghy 20: 24/46 7km SW of Dromara; in the foothills near Gransha; residence of James Cowan 1826 & 1834 & Mr McCreedy Esq. in 1836 & William G. McCauley in 1910
V12 p 80 OSM; POD
Carney Ballytrustan . alternate spelling for Kearney townland in 1778 MIs
Carney Hill Donaghadee 15:55/82  a townland 3km NW of Donaghadee; 113 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; in 1659 there were 1 Scots/English & 3 Catholic families; owned by Nicholas Crommelin in 1863 V17 p 124 OSM; PNNI V2 p 188;SP; GV
Carney Hill Down 21: 49/40 hill, near Ballynoe, 4km S of Downpatrick
Carney Hill Drumgooland 20: 27/41 SW part of Dromara Hills
Carney Hill Killyleagh 21: 49/51 3km SW of Killyleagh
Carney Hill Moira 20: 17/58 4km SE of Moira; 397 ft; in Tullyard townland
PNNI V6 p 293 , 294
Carneyhough Newry  . most of Newry town is in this townland ; 342 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means ' round hill of the ford'; originally belonged to Bangall Estate then proprietors Creely & Hill by 1836
V3 p 65 OSM; PNNI V1 p 12 ; DDPP p2
Carngaver Hill Bangor . part of a range of hills 600 feet above sea level; it rises near Belfast Lough and runs south into a fertile valley and east to Carngaver Hill; also spelt Cairngaver
V7 p 73 OSM; TMUOP p33
Carn Hill Kilcoo 29: 28/33 1km SSE of Kilcoo
Carnhill Magheradrool . farm; 1km S of Spa old b/w map M11
Carnitt Garvaghy . spelling for Carnew townland in 1659 census PNNI V6 p 195
Carnmeen Clonallan 29: 18/26  a townland on Grugganskeagh mountain ; 3km SW of Hilltown; 562 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' smooth quarter'; proprietor Marquis of Downshire & Mrs. McNeile in 1836; farms about 10 acres except Mr Lindsay's V3 p 2 OSM; PNNI V1 p 67
Carnmeen Newry a townland 5km N of Newry town; 362 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' smooth hill'; owned by Newry Abbey in 1157; proprietors Mr Fargin, Mr Coulter & Col. White; in 1836; small farms of 5-12 acres; rent 30-50 shillings an acre; bridge called Sheepbridge has 3 arches; flax mill, Mr Coulter's bleach mill & green; boarding school here in 1831; Carnmeen Cottage here V3 p 78, 106 OSM; old b/w map B8 ; PNNI V1 p 13; DDPP p2
Carnmeen House Newry . a house & farm of 200 acres ; leased by James McGeorge in 1863 from Kilmorey Estate
GV
Carn Mountain Kilcoo 29: 28/26 part of the Mourne Mountains 7km S of Kilcoo
Carn Point Bangor 15:59/83 SW point on Copeland Island .
Carnreagh Blaris a townland 5km SSW of Lisburn; 383 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; school built 1826 ; Methodist church; Sunday school; a list of charity subscribers V12 p 37, 38, 101, 107 OSM
Carnreagh Cottage Blaris 20: 25/60 farm; 1km NE of Hillsborough; residence of Galbraith McGifford in 1910
POD
Carnreagh House Loughinisland 20: 37/43 farm ;3km NWW of Seaforde
Carntaggart
Saul
. see under Carrintaggart .
Carntown
Ballyphilip
. proprietor Mrs. Nivin; let in perpetuity to Mr. Bolton Esq.; rent 12 shillings & 4 pence in 1836 V7 p 8 OSM
Carntullakeagh or Turrardin; ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM
Carny Witter . a half townland of 60 acres in ancient times
O'L V1 p 394
Carolly
Newry
. alternate spelling for Curley tonwland in 1661 PNNI V1 p 19
Carpenham Cottage Kilbroney . house & 22 acres, 1km NW of Rostrevor; house & estate just N of Rostrevor on the Knockbaragh road opposite Carrickbawn; residence of Henry Hamilton Esq in 1836 & 1846; named after his wife Caroline Penelope Hamilton; described in 1836 as a large house of the old English style; built in 1826; attached was a pretty flower garden and tasteful grounds; later owned by Major Ford; leased by Theodosia H. Forde in 1863 from Isaac W.Dickenson; residence of Adam S. Forster in 1886
V3 p 27 ,35 OSM; POD; old b/w map A13; PNNI V1 p 156; GV ; POD
Carquillan Clonduff . alternate spelling for Carcullion townland in 1611
MSWAG p77
Carr Drumbo 20: 34/63 a townland of 729 acres; 4km SW of Carryduff on a minor road; click here to see its location on a townland map ; school here in 1836; turf bog called Carr moss; in 1833 there were 69 houses, 43 families employed in agriculture & 16 in trade or manufacture; 168 males & 184 females; 1 professional, 24 servants
V7 p 54, 61& V 12 p 101 OSM  
Carraban Mountain
Bright
. guards placed here to warn Catholics of an attack during Mass in Penal times O'L V1 p 165
Carraboy/ Carnaboy
Saul
. a house cluster between Ballysuggan & Slievegran Roads, on the south side of Ballysugagh townland PE
Carracanish
Kilclief
. alternate spelling for Caravanish .
Carracut Bishops lands £5 in 1744 V17 p 118 OSM
Carradressex Bright/ Kilclief see Carrowdressex; .
Carrafreagh Kilclief . part of the Glebe lands in 1592 O'L V1 p 209
Carrabachran
Carraghbaghran
Ballee alternate spelling for Carrowbaghran townland in 1836 & 1847 V17 p20,22 OSM; FCD s2 p 25
Carraghnacreevy Magherdroll means “rock of the branchy place” BH
Carragullin Killinchy alsternat spelling for Carrigullan townland V7 p 87 OSM
Carravanish Kilclief alternate spelling for Caravanish .
Carregullan Killinchy . alternate spelling for Carrigullan townland Vo7 p 87 OSM
Carrfreagh Kilclief  . near Drumroe,in the Glebe Inv 1997 p 42
Carrickarnan Drumgath . possibly a corruption of Carricknanean townland LM 1995 p75
Carrickavraghad Kilbroney  . ancient name of Rostrevor V3 p 32 OSM; PNNI V1 p 155
Carrickbawn Kilbroney house 1km NW of Rostrevor; just N of Rostrevor on the Knockbaragh road ; means white rock';originally owned by Justice Jebb then residence of Major General & Mrs. Ross, Mrs Ross improved the grounds who planted 35 acres of larch, oak & fir in 1820; described as being pulled down in 1836 having been built by Mr Maguire in a "topsy turvy' fashion; being rebuilt in the handsome English style with dressing of granite; still lived in by Ros family in 1925 but now a ruin V3 p 27, 34, 35 OSM; old b/w map A13; PNNI V1 p 157
Carrickbawn Wood Kilbroney 29: 17/19 1km N of Rostrevor
Carrick Big Kilkeel 29: 34/23 mountain in The Mournes, 4km NW of Annalong
Carrickbreda Newry home of Arthur Johnston Esq.of Carrickbreda; proprietor of Lisardboy townland in 1836 V3 p 105 OSM
Carrickclery Saul . an ancient sub- division of Loughmoney townland; property of Mr. Wallace c. 1870
O'L V1 p 247, 308
Carrickcrossan
Carrycrossan
Clonallan 29: 14/28 a townland 2km NW of Mayobridge village; 403 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' O'Crossan's rock'; originally Magennis land then belonged to Edward Trevor & Hugh Magennis in 1611
PNNI V1 p 68 
Carrickcroy Drumbo . see Cargacroy .
Carrickdrummon
Carrickdrumman
Aghaderg & Donaghmore 29: 9/30 a shared townland, 4km SSW of Loughbrickland; 208 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map in Aghaderg & click here to see its location on a townland map in Donaghmre parish ; means ' rock of the ridge' V12 p 2 OSM; PNNI V6 p 29
Carrickgantelan Newtownards . alternate name for Craigogantlet townland in 1659 census
PNNI V2 p 227
Carrick House Aghaderg . a farm; residence of Arthur Bryson in 1910
POD
Carrickhugh Newry . alternate name for Carneyhough townland on Subsidy Roll of 1663
PNNI V1 p 12
Carrickinab Tyrella . alternate spelling for Carricknab townland
DDW p 14
Carrick Little Kilkeel 29: 34/22 mountain in The Mournes, 3km NW of Annalong  
Carrickmaclew Killaney . there were 44 farms from 2- 32 acres with the average 10 acres in 1837
V7 p 120 OSM
Carrickmacstay Clonallan 29: 13/23 a townland on the slopes of The Mournes, 5km SE of Newry; 516 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' MacStay's rock'; a Hedge School here c. 1800; the proprietor 1810- 1891 was Narcissus Batt then his son, Robert & grandson Robert
PNNI V1 p 69 ; DDPP p89; NR 30/6/2005 p67
Carrickmaddroye Carrickmaddyroe Carrickmaderrow
Carrickmadddorog
Killaney 20: 34/60 a townland of 801 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; 6km NW of Saintfield of the Lisburn road; means "the rock of the red dog" ;in 1659 there were 20 English/Scots families here only; the proprietor in 1836 was Lord Downshire whose agent was Mr Reilly of Hillsborough; 41 landholders; farms from 3-34 acres; rents from 20- 30 shillings an acre; good quality land; crops were potatoes & oats; there was one corn & one flax mill occupied by Mr Fitzsimmons; a school established 1834; Church of Ireland & two Presbyterian meeting houses here; homecoming bride shenanigans 20 Mar 1912
SP: SHM '94 p 55 & '86 p 32 & '98 p 79 ; V7 p 122, 123 OSM; GIPR: GIC  ; DR*
Carrickmallett Down . an ancient townland owned by Irish Monastery O'L V1 p 258
Carrickmannon Killinchy 21: 44/62 a townland 4km NE of Saintfield, near the cross roads; click here to see its location on a townland map; 1430 acres; a corn mill in 1833 near the chapel belonging to Hugh Dugan; Daragh Cross Catholic chapel here ;school established 1825; school exams 14 Aug 1841; school joined the National system in 1841; click here for a poem about Carrickmannon written by William Cleland in 1888 V7 p 86, 91, 92 OSM: SHM '86 p 32 & '98 p67,68 & '90 p 30; DR; TIA: GIC ;GV
Carrickmannon Lough Killinchy 21: 44/60 large lake; 3km NE of Saintfield; ancient crannoge in the middle
O'L V1 p 373
Carricknab
Carrickinab
Tyrella 21: 44/39 a townland 3km SE of Clough; 267 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; in ancient times belonged to Prior of Down but then owned by the Russells of Rathmullan; sold by Lieut. Col. Steel Hawthorne to Samuel Murland Esq. & John Craig c. 1853 ; an endowned school here
O'L V1 p 306; DR 23/1/1869Hanna
Carricknagh Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Carrigenagh townland in 1659 census PNNI V3 p 31
Carricknacessnagh
Carricknessessanagh
Saintfield . alternate spellings for Craignasasonagh townland .
Carricknadarriff Annahilt 20: 31/57 a townland of 636 acres: also spelt Craignadarriff; W of Lough Erne; click here to see its location on a map; means ' rock of the oak plain'; 67 families in the census without surnames of 1823, 41 engaged in agriculture, 16 in trade; 23 servants; proprietor Lord Downshire, agent Mr. Reilly of Hillsborough;33 landholders; farms are from 3 to 24 acres; good land; rents from 20-30 shillings an acre; HMP; V12 p 20, 21, 22 OSM
Carricknagh Kilkeel . see Carrigenagh .
Carricknanean Drumgath see Carnanny V3 p 21 OSM
Carrick na Sheannagh
Carrick Necknanagh
Ballyculter . ancient name for Castleward before the Ward's bought it from Earl of Kildare c. 1602; means ' foxes' rock' ; leased to James Hambleton Esq. 1657-1678 by Earl of Ardglass
KCL p 11; O'L V1 p 218; Inv 2006 p49; LM 1985 p53
Carricknaugh Killaney . there were 43 farms from 2-44 acres with 13 acres the average in 1837
V7 p 120 OSM
Carricknaveagh Carrickneveagh
Carricknewagh
Killaney 20:36/61 a townland of 969 acres; 5km NW of Saintfield off the Lisburn road; click here to see its location on a townland map; means " the rock of the birchwood"; heavily timbered in 1600 ; in 1659 there were 12 English/Scots & 3 Catholic families here ; a school established here in 1811; the proprietor in 1836 was Lord Downshire whose agent was Mr Reilly of Hillsborough; farms were from 10-16 acres & some of 45 acres; rents for old leased were 14 shillings an acre & new leased 28-30 shillings an acre; Church of Ireland worship sometimes held in schoolhouse; school joined the National system in 1851; click here for a murder story in Carricknaveagh in 1900; photo available of Carricknaveagh school students (plus names) 1932
SP: SHM '94 p56 & '86 p 32 & '98 p 79 & '90 p 30; V 7 p 123 & V12 p 101 OSM  ; SHM '94 p40,41, 31

Carrickrovaddy Carrickovaddy

Donaghmore a townland 4km N of Newry; 366 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' rock of the dog's shelter'; originally owned by Magennis clan; site of ancient Mass rock; proprietor A. Innes Esq. & Mr Leland Esq. in 1836 ; 1 acre flooded in winter; Bar Chapel Hill Catholic church here V3 p 9 OSM; DDPP p36; GIC; PNNI V1 p 96
Carriff Kilclief . alternate spelling for Cariff .
Carrigakill Clonallan 29: 14/26 ancient chambered grave in Aughnagon townland
Carriganean Kilbroney 29: 22/14 rocks in Carlingford Lough 5km SE of Rostrevor
PNNI V1 p 157 
Carrigaroan Kilbroney 29: 21/14 rocks offshore in Carlingford Lough, near Seafield
PNNI V1 p 157 
Carrigbann Donaghmore hills 365 ft; 240 acres; 10 acres of bog; Loughoran lake V3 p 7, 9, OSM
Carrigenagh Kilkeel 29: 31/20 6km W of Annalong; 673 acres; click here to see its location on a map; means place of rocks' ; part of the Bagenal Estate in 1552 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; school here
PNNI V3 p 10, 31 ; MO 5/8/2009 p6
Carrigenagh Upper Kilkeel a townland of 536 acres; click here to see its location on a map
Carrighban House Kilbroney house & 144 acres in Rostrevor townland; residence of Mrs. Elizabeth Ross in 1846;held in fee by David Ross in 1863; Bladensburg- marriage of Augustin Ross Esq. to Harriet Ross of Carrighban House 17 May 1873 GV; POD; DR
Carriginassy Clonallan . alternate spelling for Carrickmacstay townland on Rent Roll of 1692
PNNI V1 p 70
Carrignahalter Ballyphilip . name of an ancient Mass Rock in Carrstown
O'L V1 p 408
Carrigs Maghera 29: 37/33 farms; 2km N of Newcastle; let to Rev. W. Annesley in 1833
O'L B p 20. 

Carrigullan
Carrigullian

Killinchy a townland 3km SW of Killinchy town; 371 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; one of only two patches of scrubby oak woodland in the parish & a turbary (turf) bog in 1833;
V7 p 86, 87 OSM  
Carrigullian Lough Killinchy 21: 50/59 a lake 2km S of Killinchy
Carrigunus Mully Clonallan . alternate name for Carrickmacstay townland in Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V1 p 70
Carringenagh Kilkeel . see Carrigenagh .

Carrintaggart
Carrinteggart

Ballyculter 21: 56/47 a townland 3km SW of Strangford town; 153 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' the priest's quarter'owned by Ward family & Patrick Fitzsimins in 1658; owned by Lord De Ros in 1836; site of a dangerous Mass hollow called Lugganiffrin in penal times Inv1997 p 45 & 2001 p 10; V 17 p 30 OSM; O'L V1 p 199, 306; Inv 2010 p3 (OS map 1830s)
Carrivmoragh Kilmegan 20: 31/40 5km N of Castlewellan  .
Carrocallin Clonduff . alternate spelling for Carcullion townland in 1659 census
PNNI V3 p 83
Carrogboy Newry . alternate name for Derryboy in 1659 census
PNNI V1 p 21
Carrogs
Carrock
Clonallan 29: 12/24 a townland 4km SE of Newry; 572 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means ' little round hills'
PNNI V1 p 71.
Carrogs Mountain Clonallan 29: 12/24 part of The Mournes, 3km SE of Newry
Carroinashon . . ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; grant from King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomery V7 p 68 OSM
Carroncalliduff  .  . ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; grant from King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomery V17 p 123 OSM
Carroneskar
Inishargy
 . alternate spelling for Carrowneskar which is the old name for Fish Quarter townland c. 1623; V17 p123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 89
Carronmack  .  . ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; grant from King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomery V17 p 123 OSM
Carrontullerrekin
Carrontullevicken
Greyabbey.
. alternate name for Tullykevin townland in 1623; also known as Tuarnaran V7 p 68, 123 OSM; PNNI v2 p 209
Carronwathan ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; a grant from King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomery V17 p 123 OSM
Carrowbaghran Ballee 21: 54/42 a townland 5km SE of Downpatrick; 121 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map;owned by Samuel Hamilton Esq. in 1836 ; there were 3 families here needing famine relief in Aug 1847; article 30 Jan 1869; landlady was Mrs. McKibbin in 1903 who was agreeing to the sale of farms to the tenants 18 Nov 1903 V17 p20,22 OSM; FCD s2 p 25; DR; Irish Times
Carrowbane Bright a townland 4km NW of Killough town; 218 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map;proprietor was Major Beauclerk in 1836; Daniel Murray, farmer 10 Feb 1849
V17 p 34, 35 OSM: DR .
Carrowbane Mountain Bright 21: 50/38 near Bright townland, 2km NW of Killough
Carrowbane Kilmegan . in Ballywillwill townland; site of an ancient Catholic graveyard O'L V1 p 65
Carrowcarlin
Carrowcarlow
Saul 21: 55/49 a townland 5km WSW of Strangford town on Downpatrick road; 130 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Lord Bangor in 1836- thick rocky soil; Catholic chapel here ; school here in 1836 V17 p 114, 115 OSM; GIC; LM 1999 p89; Inv 2010 p3 (OS map 1830s)
Carrowcarsy River
Carrowcasey
Ballyculter
. in Strangford Upper townland; flows into Castleward Bay Inv 2000p 3; Inv 2010 p3
Carrowcastbranny ancient townland in 17th century in East Down;grant from King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomery V17 p 123 OSM
Carrowchamcoise Newtownards . alternate name for Whitespots townland in 1675 PNNI V2 p 236
Carrowdore Castle Donaghadee 21: 59/73 house & farm estate of 126 acres; 4km S of Donaghadee , 3km W of the coast;160 feet above sea level; in the townland of Ballyrawer; built by Nicholas Delacherois Crommelin Esq. in 1818; resident there 1824 & 1837 and 20 years old ;partly built of brick then stone, unplastered, the look of a fortification but with large modern windows; the residence stands on the site of an older castle of which a tower still existed with the date 1690 & the name Delacherois Crommelin upon it; Samuel D. Crommelin resident here in 1845 & 1863 & F.A.D. Crommelin in 1886; leased in 1902 to Hon. Somerset Ward; sold in 1962 &now in private hands; b/w photo available
V7 p 45 ,49 OSM ; POD; AG ; GV; POD; NDM p50
Carrowdore town Donaghadee 21: 58/73 a hamlet, 4km N of Grey Abbey; means ' water quarter; a grant from King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomery in 1623 ; site of ancient Catholic church in 1615 ;school established by N.D. Crommelin by 1836 ; a meeting house here in 1836; in 1836 the cottages were described as neat and small, 31 one-storey and 11 two-story, most slate roofed; it had 5 spirit & grocers; in 1863 there were 115 houses mostly owned by Nicholas D. Crommelin; Muslin sewing & pottery works 25 May 1872 (NI) ; attempted murder & suicide Eliza Askin & John Simpson 5 Jun 1875; Magisterial investigation into murder 26 Jun & 24 Jul 1875+ ; opening of Orange Hall 12 Jul 1890; opening of Woburn Memorial Hall 14 Jan 1893; (NC); William Coulter, rail accident 25 Jan 1879 (DR) ; Presbyterian church here V17 p 123 & V7 p50 OSM: NI; DR; NC; GIPR ; O'L B p 327; PNNI V2 p 189;GV
Carrowdressagh Witter . alternate name for Keentagh townland in 1659 census
PNNI V2 p 130
Carrowdressex Bright  . 4km NW of Killouhg town; 59 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; proprietor Major Beauclerk in 1836
V17 p 35 OSM 
Carrowentample Seapatrick . name of the rector's glebe of 60 acres in 1657; means ' church quarter' PNNI V6 p316,304
Carrowhawlaght Kilkeel . alternate name for Tamlaght townland in 1613 PNNI V3 p 65
Carrowleaghery Ballee  . mostly good, free soil here but some rocky & shallow V17 p 22 OSM
Carrowlissaragh  . Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down;grant from King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomery V17 p123 OSM
Carrowmacaw
Carrownacaw
Carrownascaw
Ballee 4km SW of Strangford town; 285 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; an ancient long stone here; owned by Lord Bangor in 1836; had a windmill in 1836; article 30 Jan 1869 V17 p 20, 22, 23, 25 OSM; LM 1995 p4; DR; O'L B p 141; LR 2011 p9
Carrowmalt Bright . ancient name for Legamaddy townland O'L V1 p 142
Casrrowmurwaghnemucklagh Maghera . an anglised version of old Irish name ' the quarter of level stretch of the piggeries ' & part of Tollymore townland; hill in Mourne Mountains near Pot of Legawherry & Pulgarve overlooking Spinkwee River; given to Sir Arthur Magennis c. 1613 MO 24/6/2009 p16 & MO 1/7/2009 p41
Carrownathan Great Ards an abbey; owned by the abbey of Muckamore in Co. Antrim in 1836 V17 p 121 OSM
Carrownechegle Greyabbey . means ' church quarter'; name of an ancient chapel O'L V1 p 413
Carrownesca Inishargy . alternate name for Fish Quarter townland in 1662 PNNI V2 p 89
Carrowreagh Bangor . an ancient townland name, now in Ballyminetragh; in 1659 there were 5 Scots/English & 0 Catholic families PNNI V2 p 145; SP
Carrowreagh
Carryreagh
Carrireagh
Dundonald 2km E of Dundonald town; 687 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' gray quarter'; ancient ring barrow here; in 1659 there were 9 English/Scots & 2 Irish families; proprietor Mr. Gordon, Florida & his agent was S. Duff, Kilmood; bad quality land but some good flat land;a bleach green; farms from 10-50 acres, with one at 100 acres; rent was 30 shillings an acre; crops were potatoes & oats; incendiarism 26 Jan 1850; the population between 1851-1901 fell from 190 to 81 people V7 p 41, 65, 66 OSM; TMUOP p42, 75, 155, 231; DR; O'L V1 p 209
Carrowreagh Hill Dundonald
15:43/76
2km NE of Dundonald village; 176m high .
Carrowreagh House Dundonald
15: 43/75
farm estate; 1km NE of Dundonald .
Carrowteggart Ballyculter . see under Carrintaggart .
Carrowvannish Kilclief . part of the Glebe lands in 1592; possibly Carrowvanny O'L V1 p 209
Carrowvanny
Caravanney
Saul 4km E of Downpatrick; 146 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to Cromwell Ward Esq.; corn mill & a flax mill in 1834; owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford in 1836 ;poor mountain farmland LM 1985 p52; V17 p 111, 114115 OSM
Carrs Bridge Magheralin . over railway line; 3km N of Magherlin village old b/w map J2
Carrs Face Kilcoo 29: 36/26 rocky side of Chimney Rock Mountain in the Mournes 5km S of Newcastle .
Carrstown Ballyphilip or Witter 3km SSE of Portaferry; 244 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; also called Ballyedock; granted to the Carr family c. 1810
PNNI V2 p 124, 130
Carrstown Burn Ballytrustan 21: 61/48 runs from Ballywierd into the entrance to Strangford Lough  .
Carrstown Point Ballytrustan 21: 60/46 in the entrance to Strangford Lough near Bar Hall Bay  .
Carrumacally Newry . alternate spelling for Carnacally townland on Subsidy Roll of 1663 PNNI V1 p 11
Carryard Cottage Kilcoo . near Newcastle; residence of William Waring Esq. in 1846 POD
Carrycasey
Ballyculter
. near Strangford Inv 2006 p41
Carrychnossan Clonallan . alternate name for Carrickcrossan townland in 1659 census PNNI V1 p 68
Carryduff Drumbo 20: 36/66 & 65 a townland 4km E of Drumbo village; 596 acres; a townland & town; click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1833 there was a corn & flax mill, 57 houses & 56 families; 33 families employed in agriculture & 18 in trade & manufacture; 157 males & 151 females; 23 servant ; school erected in 1827; Presbyterian church here; Catholic Parochial House is in this townland; public works program instigated for famine relief with road upgrades from four roads in Carryduff to Saintfield 27 May 1848; AA telephone box erected in town 7 May 1928*; try www.carryduffhistoricalsociety.org.uk V12 p 102 & V7 p 56, 63 OSM ; GIPR: GIC; FCD s2 p 8 ; DR*
Carryreagh Bangor . a lost townland now part of Ballyminetragh
PNNI V2 p 158
Carryreagh Donaghadee a townland 1km SW of Donaghadee town; 261 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' grey quarter'; there is a small pond this townland; owned by Daniel Delacherois in 1863; railway here in 1863
V7 p 45 & V17 p 123 OSM  ; PNNI V2 p 189; GV
Carses Hill Kilmood 21: 44/65 farm; 4km S of Comber
Carstown Ballyphilip see Carrstown or Ballydock V17 p 125 OSM
Carsondam House Saintfield farm, residence of Cleland family in 1873 & David Rea in 1910 MID p 105; POD
Carson Park Saintfield 21:42.6 farm, 3km SE of Saintfield on Crossgar road
Carsontown Saintfield 21: 43/59 a townland 3km E of Saintfield; 1036 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; very deep lake here ; Mr McBurney's flour mill here ; in 1837 there were 82 houses; 215 males & 234 females; best quality land; farms from 10-30 acres; rents from 20-30 shillings an acre; the proprietor then was Mr Price of Saintfield ;inclement weather 15 Dec 1849 V7 p 117.,119 OSM; DR; SHM '86 p 32
Carsontown Bridge Saintfield 21: 43/59 over Carson Dam river, 3km E of Saintfield
Carsontown Mill Farm Saintfield . residence of David Orr in 1910
POD
Cartross Magheralin . alternate spelling for Gartross townland in 1717
PNNI V6 p 240
Carys Fort Kilmore 21: 43/54 ancient rath/fort in Clontaghnaglar townland
Casaeldono Knockbreda . house & 19 acres in Carnamuck townland ( Crawfordsburn Rd, Bangor) ; leased by Hugh Jameson in 1863 from Marquis of Downshire; residence of James Milliken in 1910 GV; POD
Cascade River Kilcoo 29: 33/30 also called Spinkwee river, on the northern slopes of the Mourne Mountains
Casetta cottage Ballyculter . in Castle St, Strangford; residence of James & Honora Murphy in 1930s
Inv 2012 p1
Caseys Bridge Magheradrool 20: 33/54 over Ballynahinch river ,3km W of Ballynahinch
Cash (The) Donaghmore . a causeway scross bog land in Ringolish townland
PNNI V1 p 109
Cash (The) Shankill 29: 12/36 farm, in Annaghbane townland
Cash Bridge Blaris . near the Maze; coping stones maliciously thrown into Lagan River 3 Feb 1794 NS
Caskum Aghaderg 20: 12/42 a townland 5km S of Banbridge; means ' a path' ; 646 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; spelt Cassgem in 1659 Census & Keskane on 1663 Subsidy Roll; Presbyterian church here; School here supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 69 students attending V12 p 1 OSM; GIC; HSSS
Cassy Water Kilkeel 29: 22/18 river which rises in The Mournes and runs south into Carlingford Lough; means' river of the ford of O'Casey's hose'
PNNI V3 p 177 
Cassy Water Bridge Kilkeel 29: 23/15 over Cassy Water just before it flows into Carlingford Lough
Castle (The) Kilmegan 29: 33/37 in the Annesley Demesne on the shores of Castlewellen Lake
Castleaverry
Castleavery
Comber 21: 47/72 a townland 3km NE of Comber; 3km S of Newtownards; 343 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1831 there were 84 males & 70 females living in this townland; the proprietor in 1836 was the Marquis of Londonderry & his agent was Mr. Andrew of Comber; bad land; farms from 10-40 acres; rent was 12-30 shillings; railway here in 1863
V7 p 37, 39, 42 OSM ; GV
Castleavery House Comber 21: 48/71 house & farm of 59 acres, 2km NE of Comber , near Strangford lough; leased by John Taylor in 1863 from Thomas McIlwrath
GV
Castlebeg Dundonald 21: 45/71 a townland 5km SE of Dundonald , 3km N of Comber; 139 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means' little castle'; owned by Clannaboy O'Neills before 1600; site of an ancient Catholic church; original name was Ballecastlanbeg; in 1659 there were 6 English/Scots & 0 Irish families; proprietor in 1663 was John Cominge & in 1836 was Lord Londonderry & his agent was Mr. J. Andrews of Comber; good land; farms from 10-40 acres; rent was 33-40 shillings an acre; 1 wash mill & overshot; notice re lands in this quarter townland 30 Dec 1794
V7 p 41, 65 OSM; NS; TMUOP p59, 65, 75, 91, 231; O'L B p 169, 170
Castle Bog Kilkeel 29: 23/24 in The Mourne Mountains near Altataggart

Castleboy
Castlebuoy

Castleboy a parish & townland, 6km NE of Portaferry; 151 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' yellow castle'; ruins of the castle built by St. John Hospitallers in 1189 still visible ; also known as St. Johnstown; part of the Manor of Cloghy in King Charles 1st's reign, 1625; in 1659 there were 1 English/ Scots & 6 Catholic families here parish boundaries changed 12 Jan 1828 JUAHS 2011 p19-21; V17 p125 & V7 p18 OSM; O'L V1 p 395, 411;SP; NCT; PNNI V2 p 75
Castleboy Castle Caastleboy . just outside Cloughey village, in farmland on the Portaferry Road ; built in 1189 by Hugh de Lacey, Earl of Ulster , home of the Knights Hospitallier of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem who went off to the Crusades ; in ruins since 1500s when King Henry 8th reign; restoration plans 2009
JUAHS 2011 p19-21; DR 17 /6/2009 p 25
Castlebridge House Kilcoo . beside the entrance to the Shimna River in Newcastle; built 1895 on site of Magennis' Tower-house; photo available
NWAG p 71
Castle Clannaboy Knockbreda . ancient Norman castle mostly known as Castle Reagh; measured 100 foot each way with turrets at angles
V17 p 120 OSM
Castle Darris/
Derras/ Dorras
Down . means 'castle door'; a 3 storey tower medieval tower which stood on the corner Church & Market sts, Downpatrick; ships used to tie up here 17th century on Quoile River before the marshes were drained; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to Cromwell Ward Esq.; used as a jail in 1701; now the home of Down Recorder newspaper ; drawing available
LM 1985 p52; DR* 26/2/67R & 11/1/1941L; LM 1999 p68; DR 28/8/1980 p11* ; DT p3; LM 1998 p103
Castledoe Donaghcloney 20: 9/54 farm; 4km NW of Donaghcloney town
Castle Elly Garvaghy . ancient name for Ballooly townland c. 1618 PNNI V6 p 192

Castle Enegan

Castle Enigan
Castle Lanigan

Newry a townland 6km NE of Newry town; 253 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; named after a ruined castle with circling enclosure; means ' Flannagan's stone fort'; owned by Newry Abbey in 1157;site of an ancient Chapel of Ease belonging to Cistercian Monastery; proprietors Isaac & George Glenny & D. Scott in 1836 ;large bog; woods;good quality soil; mainly Catholic tenants; old bleach mill out of use in 1836 ; crops were wheat, oats, barley & potatoes; some leases for 41 years at 21 shillings an acre, & some 'at will' renting for 42 shillings an acre; V3 p 112 OSM; DDPP p2,25 ; PNNI V1 p 14'
Castle Espie Tullynakill 21: 48/67 a townland 4km SE of Comber; 255 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'the bishop's castle'; the lime from the quarry was sent to Belfast then sold back to farmers to burn as fertilizer; the proprietor of the townland in 1836 was R. Warren Knox; this townland was in the court of chancery then; farms were from 5 -60 acres; good land; rents from 25-30 shillings an acre ; the Castle Espie Pottery was in existence between 1852 and 1867; Robert Murland owned 250 acres & the quarry in 1864 then Samuel Murland; the works closed in 1879 & were sold to William Dickson in 1912; news, agricultural society 11 Feb 1860; purchased by Robert Murland 16 Jul 1864; fatal accident at Lime Works 9 May 1868; lime, brick, tile & pottery works auctioned 6 Nov 1885 & closed 1879 following the death of Samuel Murland ; new owners were the Craig family of Tyrella V7 p 87, 122 OSM; NDM p111; LM 1991 p26; DR ; NDM p51; TOOC p76; LM 1995 p15, 58; ACOC p77 (advert)
Castle Farm Comber 21: 46/70 farm; 2km N of Comber
Castle Field Down . in Ballymote Middle townland; site of ancient motte LM 1992 p40, 41
Castle Gardens Blaris . site of the Lisnagarvy fort; which become the town of Lisburn after 1707 V12 p 32 OSM
Castle Gardens Newtownards . just S of Newtownards town; 200 weavers walk out of Walker's mill 16 Nov 1872 (NI) ; ancient coin found near mills 7 May 1881; new school 23 Jun 1883; fire at the mills 27 Oct 1883; accident at the mill 31 Jan 1885 (NC) V7 p104 OSM ; NI; NC
Castle Hill Ardkeen . the highest point in the parish; ruins of Savage's Castle here; parish church here V7 p1 OSM; PNNI V2 p 9
Castle Hill Drumballyroney the hill on which Rathfriland is built , 506 ft; strategic location for ancient forts & castles; ancient seat of Magenis ; named after Freelan who owned a castle there;the last castle was destroyed in 17th century by William Hawkins who laid out the town; Newal’s tan yard in 1836 V3 p 12, 14, 16 OSM; BIH p P
Castle Hill Holywood . house & farm of 140 acres in Ballycloghan townland; near Stormount Castle; residence of Lady Ikkerin c. 1737 & Mrs Dinnen in 1848 & John Flood in 1868; leased by Robert F. Gordson in 1863 from Robert E. Ward
old b/w map R6; GV; TMUOP p84, 122; OS map 1902 5.09
Castle Hill Loughinisland . a hill near Annadorn; ancient seat of the McCartans
O'L V1 p 88; FSFD p34
Castlehill Tullylish . in Ballydugan townland; residence of John Whalley in 1737 & Arthur Rayney Maxwell in 1754
IIW V4 p156 & # 42403
Castle Hotel Ardglass . in Castle Place, Ardglass; proprietor in 1910 was A. Moore; click here for a photo
POD
Castle House (The) Comber . farm estate ; 2km NE of Comber town; new name for Mount Alexander Castle
old b/w map R7; OSM map 1901
Castle Inigan Newry . alternate spelling for Castle Enigan on Subsidy Roll of 1663
PNNI V1 p 14
Castle Island Killinchy 21: 53/60 in Strangford Lough, connected to Ringhaddy townland
Castle Island Killyleagh 21: 53/57 in Strangford Lough, connected to Ringdufferin townland; tidal barrier built 1957 to control Quoile River
LR 2008 p6
Castle Island Saul 21: 51/49 large island in Strangford Lough, partly connected to the mainland , 4km S of Killyleagh; click here to see its location on a townland map ; highest point is 128 feet above sea level; consists of 3 smooth hills & remnants of a stone tower called Ballintogher Castle; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to Bernard Ward Esq.; owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford & F. Savage in 1836 ; 102 inhabitants in 1821; a large, flat stone here with a St.Patrick legend; floodgates built here on Quoile River c. 1944 LM 1985 p52; V17 p 111, 114, 121 OSM; Inv 2003 p42; DR 11/1/1941L; LR 2005 p22
Castlekennedy Dundonald . residence of Mr Blackwood in 1852
POD

Castlemahon
Castle Moughan
Castle Moghan
Castle Maghan

Ballyculter 21: 55/47 a townland 4km SW of Strangford town; click here to see its location on a townland map; hill of 128m; leased by Ward family & Patrick Fitzsimons in 1658; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to Nicholas Ward Esq.; owned by the Southwell Estate & leased to Mr. Justice Ward in 1752; owned by the heirs of Lord De Clifford & Lord Bangor in 1836 LM 1985 p53; V17 p 25,30 OSM;LR 2007 p5; MID p 151; LM 1991 p25; O'L V1 p 306;Inv 2010 p3 (OS map 1830s)
Castlemain Seapatrick . in Banbridge; residence of A. A. Mackey in 1832
IIW #40287
Castlemount Bangor . residence of George Reynolds in 1901
POD
Castle Mountain Clonduff . alternate name for Pierces Castle ( rock formation) in 1834 PNNI V3 p 147
Castlemyrathie Garvaghy . ancient name for Ballooly townland c. 1609 PNNI V6 p 192
Castlenavan
Castlenavin
Loughinisland 21: 40/45 a townland 1km SW of Loughinisland village; 669 acres; means ‘Eamhain’s cashel’; click here to see its location on a map; the population in 1841 was 299 & in 1851 240& in 1861 193 people; I have indexed the 1st 18 entries from the Tithe Applotment Books entries for 1828 re acreage & the full information from the Griffiths Valuations of 1863 into the Surnames Index LCB p 14, 81t: TCC p 33;TAB; HCDTD p40; GV

Castlenaverry Castleneverry

Comber . see Castleavery
.
Castleneggan Newry . alternate spelling for Castle Enigan in 1659 census
PNNI V1 p 14
Castle Park Bangor 15:51/80 1km S of Bangor town; gravestones UHF Vol 17 .
Castle Park Bright 21: 54/35 rocky headland in Killough Bay, 1km SE of Killough town
Castle Park Kilcoo
.
in Newcastle area; meeting to decide permanent lay out 16 Apr 1937 DR*
Castle Quarter Kilmore in Annacloy townland; named for the castle that stood near the bank of the river in ancient times; school here in 1863; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to Colin Maxwell Esq.; owned by Southwell Estate in 1752 LM 1985 p 53; LR 2009 p51; TCC p 8; LM 1991 p27; GV
Castlereagh Knockbreda
15:37/71 
4km SE of Belfast; a townland of 405 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'the grey castle';ancient Norman Castle Reagh was a square building, 100 foot each way turrets at the angles, sometimes called Castle Clannaboy; its earliest occupant was Brian Feghartach, ruler of Clannaboy 1537-48; sold by Conn O'Neill to Sir Moses Hill in 1616; meeting of inhabitants chaired by Hugh Montgomery 9 Jan 1793; meeting re militia & dragoons 26 Jun 1793 (NS) C; school here in 1836 ; Presbyterian church here ; meeting of tenants 1 May 1869; site of government offices V12 p 100 & V17 p 120 OSM;NS; DR; GIPR; TMUOP p64; LR 2005 p15
Castelereagh Knockbreda . house & 28 acres in Castlereagh townland; leased byMary Johnston in 1863 from Robert Johnston GV
Castlereagh Arms Newtownards . an inn in Newtownards;proprietor in 1824 was James Brown
POD
Castlereagh Cottage Knockbreda . house & 17acres in Castlereagh townland; leased by Samuel Longridge in 1863 from Marquis of Downshire GV
Castlereagh House Knockbreda . house & 33 acres in Castlereagh townland; leased byRobert McConnell in 1863 from Marquis of Downshire ; residence of David McConnell Esq. J.P. 11 Sep 1880
GV; DR; N13/24 CBSA
Castle Roe
Castle Rory
Kilbroney . ancient name for Rostrevor; named after Rory Magennis, original owner of the area
PNNI V1 p 154
Castles (The) Kilcoo 29: 34/28 tors in the Mourne Mountains on Slieve Commedagh, 6km S of Newcastle
PNNI V3 p 129 
Castle (The) Tullylish . in Gilford ; residence of Miss Carleton in 1910
POD

Castlescreen
Castleskreen

Bright 21: 46/40 a townland 4km SW of Downpatrick;click here for a photo and more information; click here to see its location on a townland map .
Castle Shane
Castle Sean
Ardglass . also know as Jordan's Castle;death of Viscount O'Neill 17 Feb 1855 restored by Francis Bigger in 1911 and used as his residence DR; LWAG p 54, 55; LR 2005 p51
Castle Shane Hotel Ardglass . bought by William Young in 1923 and renamed St. Alban's Arms Hotel ; now called the Ardglass Arms ; photo available LM 1991 p55,56,57
Castles of Commedaghm Kilcoo . rock shapes in the Mourne Mountains; just SW of Newcastle NWAG p 37, 39
Castleton House Bangor . in Dufferin Ave, Bangor; residence of Mrs Agnew in 1902
POD
Castletowne Drumballyroney . old name for Ballyroney used in 1659 Census PNNI V6 p 159
Castle Vaults Kilmegan . in Main St, Dundrum ; a public house built c. 1890 for John McClafferty, who was still there in 1910; damaged by bomb blast in 1972; b/w photo available
POD; DR 24/9/1926*

Castlevennan
Castlevennon

Garvaghy 20: 19/44 a townland 7km E of Banbridge;423 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map;means ' O'Banahan's cashel'; school established 1829; E of Corbet Lough V12 p 81, 83 OSM; PNNI V6 p 195
Castle View Donaghcloney 20: 12/54 farm ;1km NW of Donaghcloney town
Castleviggan Kilmore . small area near Teconnaught
PE
Castle Villa Kilcoo . a house in Newcastle; residence of Mrs McKibbin in 1910
POD
Castleward Bay Ballyculter 21: 57/50 1km W of Strangford town
Castleward Estate & House Ballyculter 21: 57/51 1km W of Strangford town;click here to see its location on a townland map; click here to see a photo and more information
.
Castlewellan Kilmegan 29: 33/36 a market town and townland of 737 acres; 10km SW of Downpatrick;click here for a photo and more information; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' MacQuillan's Castle' .
Castlewellan Castle Kilmegan . large house & estate of 886 acres near Castlewellan ; owned by Earl Annesley in 1863 ; click here for a photo
GV
Castlewellan Cottage Kilmegan . on the Annesley demesne; residence of Lord Annesley in 1836; the servants donated 7 shillings to Newcastle storm victims 28 Jan 1834*
V3 p 56, 58 OSM ; DR
Castlewellan Lake Kilmegan 29: 32/37 large lake in Annesley Demesne, 2km NW of Castlewellan
V3 p 56 OSM  
Castlewellan Lodge Kilmegan . residence of Right Hon. Earl of Annesley in 1846
POD
Castlewilliam Killyleagh 21: 52/51 2km S of Killyleagh, near Strangford Lough
Cathedral Cottage Down . in Downpatrick; residence of Mary Elizabeth Bell in 1871
MID p3
Cathedral Hill Down . in Downpatrick; an early hill fort then site of Downpatrick Cathedral
LR 2007 p8
Catherine Lodge Warrenpoint . a house & small garden in Seaview , Warrenpoint ,leased by Joseph Mayne in 1863 from Roger Hall ; residence of Joseph Mayne in 1886
GV ; POD
Catherine Quay Ballyculter . in Strangford Lough; serviced Old Court estate
Inv 2001 p 41
Catherwoods Fort Comber 20; 38/68 ancient rath ; SW of Ballykeel townland
Cattogs Comber a townland 2km SE of Comber; 364 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1831 there were 89 males & 105 females living in this townland; one windmill in 1836; proprietor in 1836 was the Marquis of Londonderry & his agent was Mr. J. Andrews of Comber; farms were from 5 - 20 acres; rent was 25-28 shillings per acre; of middling quality;there are some ancient stones called the Altar , there are 5 which are 6 feet high
V7 p35, 37, 39, 42,44 OSM
Cattogs House Comber house & farm state of 66 acres; just past Carnasue on the Killinchy road; leased by James McKee in 1863 from Marquis of Londonderry; residence of David Munn in 1899
POD; GV; NDM p69
Caunndarah Loughinisland mentioned in 1659 census SP
Causeway (The) Magherdrool 20: 37/48 farm on Ballynahinch river,5km S of Ballynahinch  .
Causeway Water Bridge Kilkeel . over the Causeway which separates the parishes of Kilkeel & Kilbroney; on the orad between Rostrevor & Kilkeel; a plain, rough structre of unhewn stone with parapets 18 feet broad and 110 feet long; 2 arches
V3 p 52 OSM
Cavan
Cauan
Clonduff- part  . a townland of 180 acres; owned by trustees Hon. Robert Meade in 1863; (see below)
PNNI V3 p 84; GV ; TC p19
Cavan Drumballyroney- part  . 1km SE of Rathfriland; 213 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' a round dry hill'; hill 110 ft; proprietor Sharman Crawford Esq.in 1836;old leases were 10-20 shillings an acre; new leases 40-50 shillings an acre; owned mainly by trustees Hon. Robert Meade in 1863; mostly small farms with the largest being 7 acres; Lord Annesley's bailiff threatened 4 Dec 1880 V3 p18 OSM; DR; GV; PNNI V6 p 160
Cavan Cottage Drumballyroney . 1km E of Rathfriland
old b/w map E11
Cavan / Cavancorr Saul . a house cluster in Ballintogher townland PE
Cave Glen Dundonald . an ancient souterrain used by smugglers; on Moor Park farm TMUOP p54
Cave Hill Annaclone . hill, 6km SE of Loughbrickland; has a well inside; a meeting point for the Magebnnnis clan
old b/w map F8; PNNI V6 p 66
Cavendish House Holywood . in Victoria Rd, Holywood; residence of Thomas McKee in 1902 POD
Cavin Hill Newry . residence of John & Mary Coffey in 1911
OFN p 144
Cedars (The) Knockbreda . corner of Knock & Kings Roads; built by William McLeish c. 1880; residence of Misses McTear in 1902 OS map 1902 5.09; POD
Central Bar Dundonald . at the crossroads; public house now the Elk; b/w photo available c. 1910; proprietor in 1902 was Mrs Herron
TMUOPp173; POD
Centre Hill Down 21: 51/42 hill ;4km SE of Downpatrick  .
Central Hotel Seapatrick . in Bridge St, Banbridge; proprietor in 1910 was R. Duff
POD
Central Temperance Hotel Kilcoo . on the Promenade in Newcastle c. 1906
MO 17/5/2006
Ceobane Newry . alternate spelling for Crobane in 1659 census
PNNI V1 p 17
Cervery Aghaderg . spelling for Creevy on Rent Roll of 1692
PNNI V6 p 31
Chain Rocks Bangor 15:61/86 SE rocks on Mew Island .
Chanderies Islands Grey Abbey 21: 54/68 in Strangford Lough, 2km W of Grey Abbey town; means' gravelly place'
PNNI V2 p 210.
Chapel Bay Bangor 15:59/83 southern bay on Copeland Island .
Chapel Field Inishargy . site of an ancient church , east of Kircubbin town

O'L V1 p 427

Chappel Hill Down . near John Street Downpatrick; site of Ancient Priory O'L V1 p 254
Chapel Hill Dundonald . in Carrowreagh townland; site of ancient church & graveyard TMUOP p46
Chapel Island Ballyculter 21: 56/51 in Strangford Lough, just offshore near Templecormick; ruined church here ; owned by Mr Aynsworth in 1836; the ruins measure 45 x 24 feet with the door to the north, a cemetery & holy well nearby; inhabited in 1802 by Michael Crickard & family V17 p 31 OSM; O'L V1 p 218; O'L V1 p 441; Inv 2007 p48; Inv 2010 p53; Inv 2011 p25
Chapel Island Grey Abbey 21: 55/68 25 acres; large island in Strangford Lough adjacent to Grey Abbey town;off Gordonall townland; an ancient chapel here; boating accident 4 drowned from Mountstewart estate 11 Apr 1900
V7 page 68 OSM  : DR ; PNNI V2 p 210
Chapel Lodge Kilcoo . a house in Newcadstle; residence of Miss Westerman in 1910
POD
Chapeltown Dunsford 21: 56/40 village; 2km NE of Ardglass
Chappellenbegge Grey Abbey   Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; possibly Chapel Island V17 p 123 OSM
Charity Bridge Drumbo 20: 36/67 over Purdys Burn between Newtownbreda & Carryduff  .
Charleville Knockbreda 15:37/71 house & 19 acres in Cregagh townland; ; just S of Castlereagh; residence of Charles Brett Esq in 1758; residence of Thomas McConnell in 1852; leased by David McConnell in 1863 from Marquis of Downshire
MIs;POD; GV ; M13/24 CBSA
Charleville Seapatrick . residence of J.C. Mulligan in 1824
POD
Charleys Bay Kilkeel 29: 26/11 at the entrance to Carlingford Lough, near Cranfield Point  .
Checker Hill Newry . near Newry; residence of Thomas M. Palmer in 1861
PR
Chelsea Bangor . in Donaghadee Rd , Bangor; residence of John Currie in 1902
POD
Chenawley Seapatrick . near Banbridge; residence of John Walsh in 1852 POD
Chequer Hill Seapatrick . just E of Banbridge
V12 p 2 OSM
Cherrydene Knockbreda . villa in Cherryvalley Rd, Knock; residence of Alexander Morrison in 1902 POD; OS map 1902 5.09 ; ACC p7(map), 11
Cherry Hill Moira 20: 12/60 3km W of Moira  .
Cherryhurst Knockbreda . in Cherryvalley Rd, Knock; residence of Jessie Harding in 1902 POD
Cherryvale Killaney 20: 35/61 S of Boardmills townland & E of Bresagh townland  .
Cherryvale Knockbreda . farm; 1km N of Newtownbreda
old b/w map Q6
Cherryvale Cottages Knockbreda . in 1-5Gilnahirk Rd, Knock; a row of three residences built 1898 ; b/w photo available POD 1902 ; ACC p25,40
Cherryvale Magheradrool . farm; 2km S of Ballynahinch
old b/w map M10
Cherryvalley Comber 21: 47/69 a townland 2km E of Comber near Comber River's outlet to Strangford Lough; 354 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1831 there were 73 males & 79 females living in this townland; proprietor in 1836 was Delacherois Crommelin & he acted as his own agent; farms were from 40-40 acres; good land; rent was 35-40 shillings; railway line here in 1863; destructive fire 20 Sep 1890
V7 p 37, 39, 42, 122 OSM; old b/w map R8; GV; NC
Cherryvalley House Comber . residence of Robert McDowell in 1899 & 1912
POD
Cherryvalley Knockbreda . modern name for Knock village c. 1920s
ACC
Cherryvalley Cottages Knockbreda . 7-13 Gilnahirk Rd, Cherryvalley; a row of 4 cottages built 1920s
ACC p25
Cherryvalley Moira 20: 17/59 farm; 3km SE of Moira  
Cherryville Cottages Knockbreda . in Kings Rd, Belfast ; residence of J. McKee in 1902 POD
Chesnut House Newry . in Monaghan Street; residence of Mrs. Ellen Dixon in 1881
POD
Chester Holywood house & yard in Holywood townland , owned by John Burgoyne in 1863 but unoccupied GV
Chester Cottage Holywood . house & garden in Ballymisert townland; ;leased by Rev. James Speers in 1863 from rep. Samuel Boyle GV
Chestnuts Seapatrick 20: 13/49 farm; 5 km N of Banbridge  
Chievely Knockbreda . in Kings Rd, East Belfast ; residence of Mrs Johnston in 1902 POD
Chimney Rocks Kilclief . just off the shore; photo available
Inv 2011 p32
Chimney Rock Mountain Kilcoo 29: 36/26 part of the Mourne Mountains; 6km S of Newcastle
NWAG p 39 ; PNNI v3 p 129
Chinauley Seapatrick . a house & estate in Ballyeevy townland; residence of John Welsh, newspaper editor in 1843 & 1852 & William Wadsworth in 1898 PNNI V6 p 323; POD; OFB p151
Chinaville Bangor . in Princetown Rd, Bangor; a duplex ; residence of W. McLetchie & Edward Walkingtonin 1901
OS map 2.05 1902; POD
Chipps Corner Garvaghy . in Ballooly townland; farms of Fitzpatrick families here PNNI V6 p 190, 207
Chiselhurst Dundonald . residence of John Kemmitt in 1902 POD
Choud Castle Ardglass . see under Cowd Castle .
Chreyduffe Loughinisland  . mentioned in 1659 census for Loughinisland; see Creeghduff S P
Chrome Hill Lambeg . farm; on River Lagan; just N of Lambeg village old b/w map O6
Church Ballee Ballee  . a townland 5km km NW of Ardglass town; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by the Southwell Estate and leased to Mr. Charles Johnston in 1752; Church of Ireland & Seceeding Presbyterian church here & school here in 1836; owned by Lord De Clifford; leased by Rev. William Smith then given to his son-in-law Rev. Mr Johnston whose descendent Mt. Johnston of London was in possession of the lease in 1836 V17 p 21, 22, 23 OSM; LM 1991 p25; GIPR; GIC; O'L V1 p 308
Church Farm Hillsborough 20: 21/58 farm; in Taughblane townland
Churchfield House Holywood . house & 3 acres in Ballykeel townland; residence of Mrs Suffern in 1852; leased by Agnes Suffern in 1863 ; residence of McMullan family c. 1875 & Mathew McMullan in 1900
POD; GV; MIs; HPA p132
Church Hill Holywood . residence of G.F. Trimblein 1910 POD
Church Hill Saul 21: 52/48 hill ;near Downpatrick to Strangford road, Raholp
Churchill Maghera . house ; residence of Miss Small in 1910 & John Waring Bassett in 1922 POD
Church Island Tullynakill . alternate name for Mahee Island
O'L V1 p 441
Church Moyley Saul . in Raholp townland; name of an ancient Catholic chapel; measured 33 x 21 feet, some walls still 12 feet high, made of yellow clay, cemetery nearby
O'L V1 p 220 & B p 23
Church Park Bright . in Erenagh townland; site of an ancient Catholic chapel
O'L V1 p 139, 155
Church Quarter Dundonald a townland just S of Dundonald town; 123 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; its old name was Ballydundonnell meaning 'Domnal's Fort'; in 1659 there were 6 English/Scots & 3 Irish families; proprietor Rev. Mr. Cleland who acted as his own agent; good quality land; school attached to the Presbyterian meeting-house in 1836 ; a Church of Ireland & Presbyterian a church here in 1834; public works program instigated for famine relief 27 May 1848 with road upgrades from Wallace's Inn Churchquarter to Ballyoran; railway line here in 1863
V7 p24, 41 ,64, 66 OSM;TMUOP p 75, 127, 231; FCD s2 p 9; GV
Church Quarter Maghera . let to Rev. W. Annesley in 1833 O'L B p 20
Churchtown Ballyculter 21: 57/47 small village on the Killough Road, 3km SW of Strangford town; parish church here; click here for a photo Inv 1997 p 46
Churchview Annaclone 20: 15/40 farm; 4km W of Annaclone village  .
Church View Annahilt 20: 30/57 farm; 1km NE of Annahilt village
Church View Holywood . residence of Robert & Annie Boyd in 1887 & Capt. Alexander McLelland & W.H. Weir in 1910
PR; POD
Church Wall(s) Ballee .
in Loughmoney townland; site of an ancient Catholic cemetery in two fields; lease sold by Hugh O'Neill to Robert H. Smith then to Mr. Lambert of Dunlady
O'L V1 p 223,247, 308
Churn Rock Bright
in Ardglass Harbour-; removal 1 Nov 1879 
DR