Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Ballyhay, Bangor
Ros Davies'
Co. Down, Northern Ireland Family History Research Site

© Rosalind Davies 2001
Permission granted to reprint research for non-profit use only
VBallynahinch

Place names of Co. Down: Ballyh......Ballym.....

Ballyh... Ballyi..... Ballyk.... Ballyl.... Ballym..

Place Names Parish Information
Ballyhackamore Holywood
15:37/74 
a town & townland of 417 acres; now a suburb of Belfast; click here to see its location on a townland map; the proprietor in 1834 was Rev J. Cleland of Dundonald whose agent was his son; there were 126 houses; 47 families employed in agriculture & 33 in trade; 275 males & 336 females ; one flour mill;11 capitalists & 29 servants , 36 employed in handicrafts; public works program instigated for famine relief with road upgrade from Hamill's public house to the Maypole in Holywood & from Conn's Water Bridge to Ballyhackamore 27 May 1848; railway line & gate here in 1863; b/w photo of 1912 shops available V7 p 77, 79 OSM; FCD S2 p 9;GV; ACC p114
Ballyhackamore House Holywood . house & land of 2 acres; to be sold, mansion house & lands 3 Oct 1857; leased by Robert Cassidy in 1863 from John Cleland ; residence of H. C. Montgomery esq. in 1952
DR; GV; MIs
Ballyhafry Kilcoo a townland near Bryansford; 380 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; its meaning comes from a Norman personal name Geoffrey or Jeffrey; held by Brian Magennis in 1610 then Edward Trevor & William Smith in 1620 then Bernard Magennis in 1640; also in the Catholic parish of Maghera since 1785; owned by Earl of Roden in 1863; Church of Ireland & Catholic churches here
KM; GIC; GV; PNNI V3 p 99
Ballyhaft Newtownards 21: 53/72 a townland 3km SE of Newtownards; 283 acres ; click here to see its location on a townland map;means ' Hodges townland'; granted by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie c. 1623; the proprietor in 1836 & 1863 was Lord Londonderry; Ballyhaft Cottage here; boycotting at Ballhaft 22 Jun 1889; Staghounds Hunt Club here 20 Jan 1894 & 19 Jan 1895 V17 p123 & V7 p111 ,113 OSM; old b/w map U9; GV; NC; PNNI V2 p 220
Ballyhalbert Ballyhalbert 21: 64/64 a parish & a village; 648 acres; 5km S of Ballywalter;click here to see its location on a townland map; click here for some photos and more information; means' Talbots' townland' .
Ballyhamline
Ballyhamlin
Ballyhalbert
. alternate spelling for Ballyhemlin townland in 1659 census PNNI V2 p 107
Ballyhanley ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM

Ballyhanny
Ballyhany

Newtownards alternate spelling for Ballyhenny townland .
Ballyhanwood
Ballyhandwood
Comber 21: 41/72 a townland 2km S of Dundonald; 643 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' de Hanwude's place'; the proprietors in 1837 were Miss Montgomery & Capt Cowan; 31 landholders in 1837; farms from 4-37 acres; rent 20-25 shillings an acre; land of middling quality; 922 males & 93 females in 1837 V7 p 37, 40, 42 OSM;TMUOP p232; O'L B p 26
Ballyhanwood House Comber
.
in Ballyhanwood townland; large house & garden; gentleman's residence then became Barr's place c. 1870
TMUOPS p 146; OS map 1902 5.09
Ballyhanetty Donaghamore .
alternate name for Ballymacratty townland in 1659 census
PNNI V1 p 94
Ballyharry
Ballyhary
Newtownards
15:51/75 
a townland 1km NE of Newtownards; 193 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Harry's town'; in 1659 there were 4 English/ Scots & 0 Catholic families here;Robert Crawford's flax mill there in 1836; owned by Marquis of Londonderry in 1863; railway line here in 1863
V17 p 123 & V7 p104 OSM; SP; PNNI V2 p 221;GV
Ballyhaskin Donaghadee a townland on the coast; 2km S of Millisle; 349 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means' Hoskin's townland'; contains a spring impregnated with iron; in 1659 there were 8 English/ Scots & 3 Catholic families; the Presbyterian minister, Rev. John Hannah lived here in 1843; coastguard station here in 1863; owned by Mary I. Blakiston Houston in 1863 V17 p 124 OSM: POD; SP; PNNI V2 p 183;GV
Ballyhassan Saul . overlooking Quoile River; site of an ancient ecclesiastical cluster
O'L V1 p 231
Ballyhasset Ballee see Ballyhossett
Ballyhawly Newtownards . alternate name for Milecross townland in 1659 census PNNI V2 p 233
Ballyhay Donaghadee 15:57/78  a townland 3km SW of Donaghadee; 843 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' means ' Hay's townland' ;site of an ancient church; paid tithes to St. John Hospitalliers in 1615; contains an area of bog which has small hills of arable land & many pieces of oak about 15 feet in length 1837; owned by Daniel Delacherois & Louisa Webb in 1863; click here for a photo V17 p 124 & V7 p 45, 51 OSM; O'L B p 169, 327; PNNI V2 p 177, 183; GV
Ballyheft Newtownards . alternate spelling for Ballyhaft townland in 1663 PNNI V2 p 220
Ballyhemlin Ballyhalbert   a townland on the coast, 2km NW of Ballyhalbert village; 419 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Hamlin's townland'; in 1659 there were 8 English/ Scots & 3 Catholic families; corn mill here in 1836; Presbyterian Church here V7 p 5, 17 & V17 p125 OSM ; SP; GIC; PNNI V2 p 107
Ballyhendry Point Ardquin . see Ballyhenry .
Ballyhene Ballyhenny Newtownards
15:52/76 
a townland 2km NE of Newtownards; 256 acres ; click here to see its location on a townland map; ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; in 1659 there were 4 English/Scots & 1 Catholic families here & the proprietor was Hugh McGill Esq.; the owner in 1863 was Marquis of Londonderry V17 p 122,123, 124 OSM; SP ; GV

Ballyhenod Ballyhenode

Comber 
ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; alternate spelling for Ballyhanwood townland V17 p123 OSM
Ballyhenry
Ballyhendry
Ardquin 21: 58/57 a townland 2km NW of Portaferry on Strangford Lough; 206 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Henry's townland'; granted to Patrick Savage in 1559; a hill here; in 1659 there were 1 English/ Scots & 7 Catholic families here; proprietor Mr Camac of Philadelphia in 1836 ; John McVea , boy of Ballyhenry, drowned in Warnock's Quarry 23 May 1874; schooner 'Norfolk' ashore 26 Nov 1881; Ballyhenry House here V7 p 9 & V17 p 125, 126 OSM; MSGIIG p13; SP; DR; PNNI V2 p 29
Ballyhenry Bay Ardquin 21: 58/52 in Strangford Lough, 2km NW of Portaferry
V7 p 9 OSM 
Ballyhenry Island Ardquin 21: 57/51 in Strangford Lough, 2km NW of Portaferry; 4 acres;  

Ballyhenry Major
Ballyhendry

Comber
21:46/71 
a townland of 304 acres; 4km SSW of Newtownards; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Sir Hugh Montgomery in 1610; proprietor in 1837 was the Marquis of Londonderry whose agent was Mr Andrews of Comber; land of middling quality; farms from 3-20 acres; rent was 28-35 shillings; old leases 10 shillings & 6 pence an acre;57 males & 55 females in 1837
Montgomery Manuscripts; V7 p 37, 39, 42 OSM 
Ballyhenry Minor Comber . a townland 1km NE of Comber; 119 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Sir Hugh Montgomery in 1610; the proprietor in 1837 was the Earl of Annesley whose agent was Mr Law, Castlewellan;farms from 4-20 acres, one of 15 acres; rent 17- 27 shillings an acre in 1837; 21 males & 20 females in 1837; railway line here in 1863 Montgomery Manuscripts; V7 p 37,39, 42 OSM; GV
Ballyhenry House Comber . in Ballyhenry Minor; residence of John Whitla in 1870 POD; old b/w map R8

Ballyherley
Ballyhearly

Ardquin 21: 59/54 a townland 3km N of Portaferry; also called Ballyearley; 227 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Searlo's townland'; granted to Patrick Savage in 1559; owned by Rowland Savage in 1615; in 1659 there were 3 English/ Scots & 7 Catholic families here;large corn mill and 2 windmills for grinding corn in 1836; proprietor Mr Camac of Philadelphia in 1836, let in perpetuity ;average rent in 1836 was £1.15.4; lead ore discovered 8 Jun 1850 (DR) ;Ballyherly Harriers report 27 Feb 1892 (NC)' Ballyherly House residence of William Maxwell in 1875 V17 p 125,126 & V 7 p 4, 8 OSM; MSGIIG p13; 1615 Indenture; SP; DR; NC; PNNI V2 p 30; JUAHS 1977 p13
Ballyherly Lough Ardquin 21: 59/53 a lake 2km N of Portaferry; 500 metres in length; 8 metres above sea level; no islands
V7 p 4 OSM
Ballyherney
Ardquin
. alternate spelling for Ballyherley townland V7 p 8 OSM
Ballyhery
Newtownards
. alternate spelling for Ballyharry townland in 1830 PNNI V2 p 221
Ballyheste
Ballyhist
Newtownards
alternate name for Ballyhaft townland in 1623 PNNI V2 p 220
Ballyhimlin
Ballywalter
. alternate spelling for Ballyhemlin townland .
Ballyhinny Newtownards . alternate spelling for Ballyhenny townland in 1830
PNNI V2 p 221
Ballyholland Upper Newry 29: 10/26 a townland 3km SE of Newry town; 363 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'Toland's or Colman's towland '; scene of a massace by anceint Britons; first mentioned in Charter of Newry in 1157 as belonging to Newry Abbey; ancient Mass Rock on Ballyholland Hill; public elementary school opened in 1921
MO 17/3/2010 p14; PNNI V1 p 8;DDPP p2,3,11,13
Ballyholland Lower Newry a townland 2km SE of Newry town; 291 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'Toland's or Colman's townland ';belonged to Newry Abbey in 1157
PNNI V1 p 8.; DDPP p2
Ballyholme Bangor
15:53/83 
a townland of 325 acres; 3km E of Bangor; click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1659 there were 4 English/Scots & 4 Catholic families here; ancient burial on the shore containing gilt-bronze tortoise brooches & bronze bowl found here; 3 acres of mill-dam in 1836; flour mill in 1836; coffin & skeleton found 20 Aug 1842; Catholic church here ; townland to be sold 15 Dec 1855; bad storm damage 6 Jan 1877(DR); 2 dead from sandbank collapse 21 Jul 1883; races 2 Feb 1889;(NC) IPP p 79; SP; V17 p 124 & V7 p 19, 22 OSM;DR; NC; PNNI V2 p 153
Ballyholme Bay Bangor 15:52/83 next bay E of Bangor Bay in Belfast Lough; encounter with a shark 13 Sep 1884; sad boating accident 7 Jul 1894 NC
Ballyhomra Hillsborough 20: 28/61 a townland 3km NE of Hillsborough; 432 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; proprietor Lord Downshire; agent Mr Reilly, in 1836 ; good land; farms from 4-20 acres; rents on old leases 10 shillings & 6 pence & new leases 28-30 shillings an acre V12 p 85, 86, 105 OSM
Ballyhomra House Hillsborough residence of Col. Corry in 1836 V12 p 34 OSM
Ballyhonney Newtownards . alternate spelling for Ballyhenny townland in 1659 census PNNI V2 p 221
Ballyhornan Dunsford 21:59/42 a village & a townland on the coast with a small island , Guns Island, attached; 330 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'O'Cornan's or Tornan's townland' (anglicised to the Torney surname); the proprietor in 1833 was Baron de Ros; coastguard station here ; dinner at Inn 4 Mar 1837: lead mine 8 Apr 1837; soiree 2 Apr 1853: regatta 4 Jun 1853; race day 28 Jul 1877; post office 21 Dec 1878; Rev. Francis H. Hall's property, landlord generosity 15 Nov 1879; article on Ballyhornan & Gill family c. 1910; story about smuggling connection available; telephone submarine cables laid from Isle of Man in 1929;email me for a poem about the townland V17 p 67,71, 72 OSM; DR; Inv 2000 p 5 & 2001 p 30-32; DR* 23/4/1967R; LR 2005 p27; Inv 2007 p45 ; LM 1988 p22; LM 1993 p53
Ballyhornan Bay Dunsford 21: 59/42 in Irish Sea near Ballyhornan village
Ballyhoskin
Ballyhosker
Donaghadee . alternate spellings for Ballyhaskin townland in 1659 & 1830 V7 p 45 OSM; PNNI V2 p 183

Ballyhosset

Ballyhossit

Ballee 21: 53/40 a townland 3km NW of Ardglass; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to Thomas Ward Esq.; trees in the estate; school here, owned by Lord Bangor in 1836 ; there were 7 families here needing famine relief Aug 1847; opening of Presbyterian church 6 Jun 1846: soiree 4 May 1850; article on townland 26 Dec 1868; Sabbath school 25 Sep 1869; I have indexed some of the Griifths Valuations from this townland in Surname Index; an account of life in the area c. 1930 available LM 1985 p52; V17 p15, 19, 20 , 21,22 OSM: DR; FCD s2 p 25; LM 1995 p67-69
Ballyhossett House Ballee . death of Thomas Gracey of Ballyhosset House 14 Jun 1884; residence of Lt. Col. Alexander Gracey J.P. in 1910
DR; POD
Ballyhossit Milltown Ballee  . a townland 3km NW of Ardglass town; click here to see its location on a townland map;one of the Ten Towns Estate in 1710, purchased by Hugh Rainey of Magherafelt; owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford & Lord Bangor in 1836; Seceeding Presbyterian church here; I have indexed the Griifths Valuations from this townland in Surname Index; there were 7 families here needing famine relief Aug 1847 V17 p 22 OSM; GIC; O'L V 1p 308; GV; FCD s2 p 25
Ballyhullenegay  .  . or Hulemachena; Ancient townland in 17th century East Down V17 p 123 OSM
Ballyidock Witter . alternate spelling for Ballyedock townland in 1659 census PNNI V2 p 124
Ballyilly Garvaghy  . alternate spelling for Ballooly townland PNNI V6 p 192
Ballyilly House Garvaghy . residence of Mr Maginnis Esq. in 1836 V12 p80 OSM
Ballyillymore Garvaghy  . alternate spelling for Balloolymore townland  
Ballyindoalty Kilbroney  . see Ballindoalty .
Ballyindrean Tullynakill . alternate spelling for Ballydrain in 1615 O'L B p 319
Ballyisbro Ballyhalbert  . alternate spelling for Ballyesborough townland V 17 p 125 OSM
Ballyilandmoyle Clonduff . alternate name for Islandmoyle in 1611
PNNI V3 p 71
Ballyivy Seapatrick . alternate spelling for Balleevy townland in 1659 census
PNNI V6 p 304
Ballykeel Annahilt  . see Ballykeel Edenagonnell  .
Ballykeel Blaris see Ballykeel Edenagonnell  .
Ballykeel
Ballykell
Clonduff 20: 25/43 a townland 4km NE of Hilltown on the Kilcoo road; 567 acres ; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means " narrow townland"; held by Sir Arthur Magennis of Rathfriland in 1609 then Hieronym Alexander of Dublin in 1634 & the Hill family in 1640; owned by Marquis of Downshire in 1863; photo available
PNNI V3 p 72 , 79; DDPP p105;GV; TC p12; CP 15/1/2014
Ballykeel Comber 20: 39/68 a townland of 589 acres: NE of Carryduff; click here to see its location on a townland map; proprietor in 1837 was Rev. Mark Cassidy of Newtownards; land quality middling; farms from 6-35 acres; rents from 20-25 shillings an acre in 1837; 110 males & 114 females in 1837
V7 p 37, 38 ,42 OSM 
Ballykeel Down 21: 43/41 a townland 2km NE of Clough on Downpatrick road; 308 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; school here in 1836; owned by Marquis of Downshire in 1836; there were 29 houses; 16 families employed in agriculture & 9 in trade; 85 males & 89 females; 2 professionals & 4 servants V17 p 52, 56, 57, 59 OSM' O'L B p 150

Ballykeell or
Ballykell

Dromore
20:27/52 
a townland 8km E of Dromore on Ballynahinch road; 1112 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' narrow townland';high ground; Smith estate here in 1777; school here in 1836; Lough Aghery here SHM'98 p42; V12 p 70, 73, 78 OSM; PNNI V6 p 111

Ballykeel
Ballykell

Drumgath a townland 4km SW of Rathfriland; 575 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; means' narrow townland'; originally belonged to Magennis clan; proprietor Marquis of Downshire in 1836 ; means 'narrow townland ' ; farms from 4-10 acres; leases for one life; rent from 24-30 shillings an acre; V3 p 20,21 OSM; PNNI V1 p 118
Ballykeel House Drumgath . near Hilltown on a hill; a two storey house; residence of Mr. Edward McLoughlin in 1926 when it burnt down
CP 15/5/2013
Ballykeel Holywood
15:41/77 
a townland 2km SE of Holywood town; 685 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; contained a windmill in 1834 & a school in the south part was established in 1827; the proprietor in 1834 was H. Kennedy Esq. whose agent was Mr Crawford of Ballycultra; there were 66 houses; 34 families employed in agriculture & 8 in trade; 159 males & 227 females; 11 capitalists & 47 servants, 11 employed in handicraft; Anglo-Norman castle here
V7 p 76 ,77 ,79 ,82 OSM ;HMNI p103
Ballykeel Kilkeel 29; 32/17 a townland 2km W of Ballymartin village; 912 acres; general graveyard here; click here to see its location on a map; means ' narrow townland'; ;part of the Bagenal Estate in 1552 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; in 1659 there were 4 English/ Scots & 13 Irish people living here & it was leased by Arthur Monipenny Esq.
GIC; SP; PNNI V3 p10, 23; MO 5/8/2009 p6
Ballykeel Bay Kilkeel 29: 34/16 in the Irish Sea, 3km NE of Kilkeel town  .
Ballykeel House Kilkeel 29: 32/17 farm, in Ballykeel townland; residence of John Walmsley in 1847 ; owned by James Walmsley in 1876 with 30 acres
JMLSG 2010 p55; LOI; POD1886
Ballykeel Point Kilkeel 29: 34/15 at the southern end of Ballykeel Bay  .
Ballykeel Kilmood 21: 45/65 5km S of Comber; 703 acres; see Ballykeigle
Ballykeel Magheralin a townland 4km SE of Mageralin village; 303 acres:click here to see its location on a townland map; means' narrow townland'; lough in the townland V12 p 109 OSM; PNNI V6 p 217
Ballykeel House Magheralin . residence of Rev. Thomas Hassard Montgomery in 1865 MIs
Ballykeel Seapatrick 20: 10/47 a townland 3km NW of Banbridge;320 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; an old ford over the river Bann & a village grew up around it; owned by Glasney Magennis then granted to his son Art in 1611 then the Waddell family c. 1777; proprietor N. C. Whyte Esq.in 1836 ; highest ground in the parish; location of Huntly House owned by Hugh Dunbar; this is where St. Patrick & King William of Orange area alleged to have crossed V12 p 123, 126, 127 OSM; BIH p13 & L; PNNI V6 p 218, 306

Ballykeellartifinney

Ballykeel Artikenny

Hillsborough a townland of 640 acres; west of Hillsborough town; click here to see its location on a townland map; proprietor Lord Downshire; agent Mr Reilly in 1836; farms from 6-11 acres; rents on old leases 16 shillings, new leases 30 shillings an acre;good land; school built 1825; low ground on river Lagan; charity subscribers listed for 1836; St James Church of Ireland Kilwarlin here V12 p 86, 88,99, 100, 106 OSM; GIC
Ballykeel- Edenagonnel Hillsborough- half a townland of 221 acres; E of Hillsborough town; click here to see its location on a townland map :proprietor Lord Downshire; agent Mr Reilly in 1836; farms were from 6-10 acres; rents on old leases 16 shillings, new leases 30 shillings an acre, good land; meeting house; school built 1821; charity subscribers listed : Adult Sunday School 14 Jan 1837; Presbyterian church here V12 p 86, 95, 100, 106, 107 OSM; GIC
Ballykeel Edenagonnell Blaris- half a townland of 240 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map
Ballykeel
Loughaghery
Annahilt in Clintagh townland; means ' lake of the herd of horses' ; contains 2 crannoges; Loughaghery House here; flax mill here in 1836 & river rises here ;Ballykeel Lane Ends just S of Loughaghery V12 p 22, 24 & V17 p 103, 105 OSM; GIPR ; old b/w map K7; PNNI V6 p 148
Ballykeel Lougherne Annahilt a townland of 578 acres: click here to see its location on a map; 43 families in the census without surnames of 1821, total inhabitants 248; 30 employed in agriculture,6 in trade,25 servants; mainly Protestant; proprietor in 1836 was Lord Downshire, agent Mr. Reilly; 27 landholders; farms were from 2-23 acres; rents from 20-30 shillings an acre; crops were potatoes, oats & wheat; ;school taught by Robert Irwin in 1836 V12 p 21, 23, 100 OSM; old b/w map K7
Ballykeigle
Ballykeel
Kilmood
21:45/65 
a townland 5km S of Comber; 703 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1831 there were 68 houses; 36 families employed in agriculture & 156 in trade; 180 males & 191 females; 1 professional man & 18 servants; the proprietor then was Mr Gordon of Florida whose agent was Mr S. Duff of Ballybunden; middling quality land; farms from 10 -40 acres; rent 20- 33 shillings an acre ; crops were potatoes, wheat & oats; one school ; shooting accident 12 Jan 1884+ V7 p 94, 95 OSM; NC

Ballykell

Drumgath see Ballykeel V3 21 OSM
Ballykelly Seapatrick 20: 12/50 a townland 5km N of Banbridge; 414 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means McKelly's townland' V12 p 123 OSM; PNNI V6 p 308
Ballykiel Seapatrick see Ballykeel V12 p 123 OSM
Ballykilbeg Down a townland also called Ballynagelbegge; 5km SW of Downpatrick; 288 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'townland of the small churches' after some ancient chapels; owned by Robert Swordes/Crolly , stayed in his family until 1784; Catholic chapel here; Mr. Johnston’s Seat in 1836; there were 18 houses; 16 families employed in agriculture & 1 in trade; 53 males & 60 females; 1 professional & 11 servants; Ribbonmen 6 & 20 Mar 1847; new Orange Hall 15 Apr 1871 (DR); Ballykilbeg & 12th July 18 Jun 1898 LR 2005 p24O'L B p 583; V17 p 49, 52 ,56, 57 & MID p 34 ; GIC; DR; NC
Ballykilbeg House Down 21: 45/41 house & farm of 196 acres, 4km SW of Downpatrick near Clough road; built 1786 by William Johnston of Killough & finished by his son , William; residence of John Johnston Esq. in 1836 ; described as small & plain with very little tress surrouding it; seat of William Johnston M.P. in 1850; held in fee by William Johnston in 1863 & 1910; b/w photo available
V17 p 49 OSM ; GV;POD; DR 5/4/2006L; LM 1985 p8
Ballykilcarine Newtownards . alternate name for Killarn townland in 1675 PNNI V2 p 231
Ballykillaghie Donaghadee alternate name for Killaghy townland in 1650 V17 p 123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 193
Ballykillained
Newtownards 
alternate name for Killarn townland in 1675 V17 p 123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 231
Ballykillare Bangor Crawfordsburn is in this townland; 429 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the central church'; in 1659 there were 13 English/Scots & 2 Catholic families here; 3 acres of uncultivated land and patches of rock in 1836; Crawfordsburn House, the residence of Sharman Crawford M.P. is in this townland; Sabbath Schoolhouse & railway line here in 1863
V7 p 19, 25 OSM; SP; PNNI V2 p 154;GV
Ballykillcormuck Bangor ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; could possibly be Ballymacormick V17 p 123 OSM
Ballykillgeriffe
Loughinisland
. means ' town of the rough church'; in Magheralone townland; an ancient church & graveyard O'L V1 p 92
Ballykillhynearca
Knockbreda
. alternate name for Gortgrib townland O'L B p 27
Ballykillinmack ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM
Ballykilloghie Donaghadee ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; possibly Killaughey V17 p 123 OSM
Ballykim Lower Ballykine Lower Magheradrool & Dromara 598 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; click here to see its location on a townland map of Dromara ; means ' Kane's townland'; owned by Lord Moira in 1782 (531 acres of arable land, 28 acres of turf bog & 12 acres of lough) bought by Ker family in 1802; Rev. Samuel Edgar ran a clasical school here in1799; property of David Ker Esq. of Portavoe, whose agent was Mr Black in 1836; there were 49 landholders, mainly Catholic;the eastern part of the townland is good soil and rented for 40-50 shillings an acre; the north part was bad quality & rented for 25-40 shillinsg an acre with the average farms size 10-15 acres;these people make a lving from weaving & a potato crop; 2 lakes; school established 1830 : early land dispute HMP; EPC p9; V17 p 99, 102 OSM: BH; DR* 3/12/03
Ballykim Upper Ballykine Upper Magheradrool & Magherahamlet or Dromara
20:34/54 
3km W of Ballynahinch; click here to see its location on a townland map; 689 acres; means “O’Kines’ or MacKine’s town”; owned by Lord Moira in 1782 (425 acres of arable land, 6 acres of turf bog ) ; bought by Ker family in 1802; proprietor D. Ker Esq. Of Portavoe whose agent was Mr Black; there were 48 landholders & 30 weavers in 1836: 4 Protestant families; 33 Catholic & 26 Presbyetrian; farms from 2-15 acres with one of 20 acres; poor quality land; rents from 31-46 shillings an acre;crops were potatoes, barley oats & flax; supposed fratricide, Henry Davey, near Ballyna-hinch 3 Oct 1868; ; foundation stone of new Orange Hall 11 Mar 1882 murder of David Hall, near Ballynahinch 25 Sep 1886 EMLR; V17 p 99, 102: & V12 p 65 OSM; BH; DR; DR* 3/12/03
Ballykinler House Ballykinler 21: 42/37 farm, E of Inner Dundrum Bay, 3km SE of Clough; residence of James Russell Esq. in 1838 & Mr. Matthew Magorrian in 1894
BN ; Irish World NY
Ballykinler Upper , Lower & Middle
Ballykinlar
Ballykinler 21: 43/36
21;42/40
a parish, a village &3 townlands ; 2030 acres; near Dundrum Bay, 4km SE of Clough; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'townland of the candlestick'; around 1200 the Norman knight John de Courcy granted the lands around Ballykinler to Christchurch Cathedral, Dublin for the upkeep of a light to shine perpetually in front of a cross; ancient crannog in lake; lake drained in 1814 ; corn mill & school here in 1836 ; Catholic Church here ;Green Crop Society dinner 11 Nov 1837: 1st ploughing match 19 Feb 1838: Marquis of Downshire kind to tenants during Famine 27 May 1847: estate farming society 22 Sep 1849; Notice for Endowed School 7 Apr 1855; local Olympic Games 16 Nov 1861; major proprietors in 1863 were Marquis of Downshire , rep. Rev. George Cockburn & Ion Trant Hamilton; meeting of tenants 1 May 1869; home invasion 27 May 1880; school concert 3 Feb 1883; 2nd Battalion Gordon Highlanders at army camp 16 Oct 1928* V17 p 32 & V12 p101 OSM ;LM 1998 p82l GV ; DR & DR* 7/ 11/2001 ; DUPN; LR 2005 p23; LM 1991 p32-34; LR 2013 p75
Ballyknock Moira 20: 19/59  a townland 3km SE of Moira town on the old canal; 1204 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the hill'; originally belonged to Rory Magennis in 1609; proprietor Marquis of Downshire in 1836 also see Ballynock; a school there in 1836 V12 p100 , 118 , 120 OSM; PNNI V6 p 282
Ballyknockan Saintfield a townland 5km N of Saintfield town; click here to see its location on a townland map; 646 acres; has a small lake; a corn & flax mill were built in 1810 belonging to David Orr then owned by James Petticrew, Sam Grant, R. McKenzie, John Gibson in c. 1904; in 1837 there were 54 houses; 140 males & 156 females; best quality land; farms from 20-40 acres; rents from 20-30 shillings an acre; the proprietors then were Lord Dungannon (34/) & Lord Northland (1/4) ;lightning death 24 Sep 1842; National school here in 1849 V7 p 114, 117 ,118 OSM: SMH '86 p 23 & '86 p 32; DR
Ballylaghnan Iveagh . an ancient district name in Iveagh Barony PNNI V6 p 8
Ballyleidy Bangor a townland 2km S of Crawfordsburn; 443 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' O'Lidi's townland'; in 1659 there were 5 English/Scots & 5 Catholic families here; Sir John Blackwood summoned his tenantry of Ballyleidy to form an armed association 19 Dec 1792 TU p98:V7 p19 OSM; SP; NS; PNNI V2 p 155
Ballyleidy House Bangor . after a fire it was rebuilt & rename Clandeboye house mid 19th century ; residence of Lord Dufferin in 1836 ; Lord Dufferin's 21st, 21 Aug 1847
V7 p 22 OSM; DR; SFSOK p42 ,43,101
Ballylenagh Ballyculter 21: 56/47 a townland 3km SW of Strangford town; click here to see its location on a townland map; orignally owned by the Catholic church c. 1300; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to Nicholas Ward Esq.
O'L B p 140 ; LM 1985 p53
Ballylenaghan Knockbreda a townland just S of Newtownbreda; 598 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map
Ballyleny
Ballyleaney
Magheralin 20: 14/56 a townland 4km SE of Magheralin; 283 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means' wet meadow'; held by Brian Magennis iin 1609
PNNI V6 p 218
Ballyleny House Magheralin 20: 14/56 in Ballyleny Townland
PNNI V6 p 218. 
Ballylerry Tullylish . alternate spelling for Bleary townland in 1659 census PNNI V6 p 333

Ballylessan

Ballylesson

Drumbo 20: 32/67 banks of river Lagan; south of Belfast on the Lisburn road; a townland & a village; click here to see its location on a townland map ;520 acres; Church of Ireland here; the proprietors in 1833 were Mr Batt of Purdysburn whose agent was Mr Malcom of Hillhall & Mr. C. Dunlop of Edenderry; 27 land holders; farms from 2-20 acres; rent was £2- £4 an acre; there were 14 houses & 2 public houses; good quality land; Mr Orr's dispensary in 1833 had 275 patients; in 1833 there were 94 houses; 42 families were employed in agriculture & 31 in trade or manufacture; 214 males & 262 females; 10 servants; ;murder of Charles Wilgar 17 May 1862+; suspicious drowning of Alexander Hutchinson 25 May 1872 V7 p 56, 59 ,60 ,63 OSM: DR; GIC
Ballylickreyleyn Dromore . an ancient land unit from 1585; part of Kilwarlin, in Edentrillick townland PNNI V6 p 127
Ballylidie Bangor . alternate spelling for Ballyleidy townland in 1659 census PNNI V3 p 155
Ballylig Bright 21: 51/37 a townland 2km NW of Killough; click here to see its location on a townland map; held by Sir Robert Ward in 1670; proprietor Lord Bangor in 1836 V17 p 33, 37 OSM; O'L V1 p 307
Ballylig House Bright . residence of Miss Mary Anne Moore 1937 DR* 14/6/1937
Ballylimp
Ballylimpt

Inishargy / Ballywalter

21; 62/64 a townland 2 km W of Ballyhalbert; 366 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; in 1659 there were 8 English/ Scots & 1 Catholic families; V7 p 18 & V17 p125 OSM; SP; PNNI V2 p 69
Ballylintagh Ballylintough Annahilt  . a townland of 684 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the flax pools'; 73 families in the census without surnames of 1821 with total inhabitants 420; 43 employed in agriculture,21 in trade,27 servants; 40 weavers; linen & cotton spun in 1836 but declining; mainly Protestant; proprietor Lord Downshire, agent Mr. Reilly;42 landholders in 1836; farms from 2-14 acres with 2 large farms of 74 & 38 acres; old leases were 16 shillings an acre; new leases 25-30 shillings; crops were potatoes, rye, wheat & oats with some flax; many women spun yarn/linen/cotton HMP; V12 p 20, 21, 23, 24 OSM
Ballylintagh Park Annahilt 20: 28/57 farm; 4km SE of Hillsborough on Ballynahinch road
Ballylisbane Ardkeen . alternate name for Lisbane townland in 1617
PNNI V2 p 17
Ballylisbane Bangor . alternate name for Lisbane tonwland in 1623
PNNI V2 p 165
Ballylisbredan Dundonald  . a townland 3km SE of Dundonald village; 467 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'place of the fort of the salmon'; owned by Clannaboy O'Neills before 1600; in 1659 there were 7 English/ Scots & 7 Irish families; proprietor in 1663 was John Cominge; 1 corn mill in 1837; the proprietor in 1837 was Mr Cummings; good land; farms from 10-100 acres; rent £2 an acre in 1837; Bethesda Chapel here; railway here in 1863
V7 p 40 ,65 OSM ; GIC; TMUOP p65, 75,91, 231;GV
Ballylisnebarnes
Bangor
 . alternate name for Lisbane townland in 1662 V17 p 123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 165
Ballylisnerains
Ballyhalbert
 . alternate name for Black abbey in 1623 V17 p 123 OSM
Ballylisnevan
Newtownards
. alternate name for Newtownards in 1650 PNNI V2 p 216
Ballylisnire ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM
Ballylissen Drumbo . see Ballylessan .
Ballyloghan Comber . see Ballyloughan .
Ballylone Big Magheradrool  . a townland of 545 acres;means “ Owen’s town or dairy in the meadow or town of the lamb or townland of the river” ; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Lord Moira in 1782; bought by Ker family in 1802; proprietors were David Ker Esq. whose agent was Mr Black & Mr Savage whose agent was Mr Malcolm of Drumbo in 1836; there were 19 landholders; rents from 20 shillings an acre; good quality land; crops were potatoes, wheat oats or barley; flax mill occupied by W. McCullough ;I have indexed the full information from the Griffiths Valuations of 1863 into Surnames Index EMLR; HMP; V17 p 99, 103 OSM; BH; SHM '86 p32; GV; DR* 3/12/03
Ballylone Little Magheradrool  . a townland of 418 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; owned by Lord Moira in 1782 ; bought by Ker family in 1802; proprietors David Ker Esq.whose agent was Mr Black & Mr Savage whose agent was Mr Malcolm in 1836 ; there were 28 landholders; farms from 5-30 acres; good quality land; crops were potatoes, wheat & oats; ; I have indexed the full information from the Griffiths Valuations of 1863 into Surnames Index EMLR; V17 p 99 OSM; SHM '86 p 32; GV; DR* 3/12/03
Ballylone House
Magheradrool
. a house & farm estate of 74 acres in Ballylone Big townland; leased by Henry Hayley in 1863 from Jane Mullholland GV
Ballylough
Ballyloghaninis
Donaghmore a townland of 520 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ;a bog here; means ' townland of the lake'; originally belonged to Magennis clan; 15 acres of trees near canal; proprietor A Innes Esq. In 1836 V3 p 7 OSM; PNNI V1 p 93
Ballylough Kilmegan 29: 36/38 a townland 2km NE of Castlewellan on the Clough road; 911 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; thunderstorm damage 7 Apr 1849; owned by Marquis of Downshire in 1863; Ballylough Pipe Band at football finals 29 Sep 1936* GV; DR
Ballylough Seapatrick a detached townland; 6km NW of Banbridge; 425 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'townland of the lake';originally owned by Magennis clan in 1609; swamp, hill here ; school in 1836 V12 p 123, 124, 135 OSM; PNNI V6 p 308
Ballyloughan Comber  . a townland 2km NW of Comber; 335 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map;means 'place of the stone buildings'; owned by Clannaboy O'Neills before 1600; Barn Hill school established 1834; proprietor in 1837 was Marquis of Londonderry whose agent was Mr Andrews of Comber; 23 landholders; farms from 10-30 shillings an acre; old leases 10 shillings & 6 pence; new leases 25-35 shillings an acre;crops oats, wheat, clover & rye grass, potatoes, some flax, barley; 66 males & 83 females in 1837; railway line here in 1863; a neolithic urn containing human remains & flints was found in John Glover's field in 1884
V7 p 34, 37, 38 , 42, 43 OSM ; TMUOP p65, 232;GV; ACOC p74
Ballyloughlin Maghera a townland of 410 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; remarkable pillar stone where Baronies of Iveagh & Lecale meet
O'L V1 p 56
Ballylucas
Ballyluckea
Rathmullan 21: 47/39 a townland 5km S of Downpatrick ;303 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; originally in the Catholic parish of Down; part of Charles Russell's estate in 1650; proprietor Mr Hamilton- authority Bernard Marmion in 1836 O'L B p 523, 554; V17 p 35, 37 OSM; LM 1999 p88
Ballylurgan Kilbroney . alternate name for Ballincurry townland in 1659 census PNNI V1 p 135
Ballylurgan Moira . alternate name of Lurganville townland PNNI V6 p 290
Ballylynny Magheralin . spelling used for Ballyleny townland in 1659 census PNNI V6 p 218
Ballymacadurby Kilkeel . alternate name for Ballymadeefy townland in Subsudy Roll of 1663 PNNI V3 p 24
Ballymacanallen Tullylish 20: 6/50 a townland 4km N of Gilford; 677 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'McEnallens' townland'; originally belonged to Magennis clan in 1609; proprietor Earl of Clanwilliam in 1836 V12 p 143 OSM; PNNI V6 p 331
Ballymacanally Magheralin a townland of 182 acres; 6km SE of Magherally village; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' McNally's townland'; held by Art Oge Magennis in 1609
PNNI V6 p 218
Ballymacanally Cottage Magheralin 20: 13/54 farm; 1km N of Donaghcloney village
Ballymacaraeeney Drumgooland . see under Ballymackilreiny .
Ballymacarattybeg
Bally McRattybeg
Donaghmore a townland 457 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' McRatty's townland, little'; originally belonged to Magennis clan; school here in 1820; 4 acres of bog & a corn mill in 1836 V3 p8 OSM; AIPD; PNNI V1 p 93
Ballymacarattymore Donaghmore a townland 340 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means' McRatty's townland, great'; the hill here is an ancient fort; originally belonged to Magennis clan; ; Presbyterian Seceding Meeting House called the Rock here ; mill pond of 3 acres V3 p 7, 8 OSM; GIC; PNNI V1 p 93
BallyMcAraveny Saintfield . ancient townland; in 1659 there were 8 English/Scots & 3 Catholic families SP; SHM '94 p55

Ballymacaramery Ballymackerammery

Ballymacramery Ballymacranemy

Saintfield 20: 37/55 a townland 5 km SW of Saintfield on the Ballynahinch road; click here to see its location on a townland map; 778 acres; means “ O’Ramery’s town”: has a small lake; in 1837 there were 75 houses; 203 males & 225 females; best quality land; 57 farms; farms 2-25 acres; rents from 20- 45 shillings an acre; the proprietors then were Messrs. Shaw, Hart & Potter; Whiteboyism 18 Mar 1843; National School here in 1847; death of bread server, Samuel Mawhinney 8 Feb 1873 BH: V 7 p 117, 118, 119, 120 OSM: DR; SHM '86 p32 & '90 p 30
Ballymacarn North Magheradrool  . a townland of 969 acres; part of Ker's Montalto estate; click here to see its location on a townland map; means “ town of the cairn or McCarn’s/ Kearney's town "(McCartans); owned by Lord Moira in 1782 (542 acres of arable land, 49 acres of turf bog ) ; bought by Ker family in 1802; the proprietor was Dr Ker Esq. whose agent was Mr Balck; 65 landholders in 1836; farms from 6-14 acres; rents 36 shillings an acre; good quality land ; charge of shooting with intent to kill 29 Jun 1872; map showing land holders in 1782 available; I have indexes the people from the Girffiths Valutaions of 1864 into the Surnames Index EMLR; HMP; V17 p 99, 102 & BH ; DR: TU cover; GV; DR* 3/12/03
Ballymacarn South Magheradrool a townland of 767 acres; part of Ker's Montalto estate; click here to see its location on a townland map; means “ town of the cairn or McCarn’s/ Kearney's town "; owned by Lord Moira in 1782 (441 acres of arable land, 14 acres of turf bog & 12 acres of lough) ; bought by Ker family in 1802; proprietor D Ker Esq whose agent was Mr Black; farms from 3-12 acres; rents £2 an acre; good quality land; 31 landholders in 1836; bleach ,beetling & flax mill; 2 spas; 2 flax mills; I have indexes the people from the Girffiths Valutaions of 1864 into the Surnames Index EMLR; V17 p 99, 102, 103 , 106 OSM; GV ; DR* 3/12/03
Ballymacarrett Knockbreda 15:35/75  a 2km E of Belfast & now part of the suburbs;a townland of 575 acres & a town & a parish;in 1834 there was a Church of Ireland, 2 Methodist Churches & a Catholic chapel in town;click here to see its location on a parish map ; considered to be part of Belfast since 1787; Mendicity & Destitute Sick Society 21 Feb 1837: Anti-corn law meeting 12 Jun 1841: starving weavers 5 Mar 1842: weavers distress 18 Apr 1846: Industrial schools 13 Jul 1849: new burial ground 19 Aug 1854; great fire in Davidson's flour mill 23 Nov 1861; Murray's lime works 14 Feb 1863; separation from Co Down 27 Jul 1867; repair of roads 10 Aug 1867; New Orange Hall 24 Aug 1867; separation of Ballymacarrett from Belfast 21 Sep 1867; Richardson Bros. Chemical Works in Short Strand 21 Sep 1878 (DR); storms cause flodding in weavers homes, looms destroyed 11 Jan 1834 (NH); meeting of weavers 15 Jun 1872 (NI); opening of new Orange Hal1 Dec 1877; poem, An Evening in Ballymacarrett Masonic Hall' 28 Mar 1891; attempted double murder & suicide 20 Oct 1894 (NC) ACS p4; V 7 p 98, 99, 100 OSM; DR; GIPR; NH; NI; NC
Ballymacarrett
House
Knockbreda . farm estate; just SE of the town in Bryson Street; residence of Joseph Patton Esq. in 1852 V7 p 98 OSM; OS map 1902 4.11;POD
Ballymacarron Killyleagh  . a townland 4km N of Killyleagh town; 226 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; J. Tannahill death/inquest 26 Mar 1853; infanticide near Ballynahinch 21 Feb 1880 DR
Ballymacarron House Killyleagh 21: 52/58 near Strangford Lough,4km SE of Killinchy; formerly known as Mount Potter when James Potter was in possession of it in 1770's;click here for a photo
Keith Potter
Ballymacash Blaris  . in 1836, William Jefferson and William Brownwere to repair part of the lane from Brown's on the Castlerobin Road to McCorry's on the Ballymacash Road V12 p 41 OSM

Ballymacashan Ballymacashen
BallyMcCassin

Killinchy 21: 47/60 a townland 2km W of Killinchy ;688 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1659 there were 18 Catholic families only here; small patch of scrubby oaks grew in rocky soil the only wooded part of the parish in 1833;a small area of turbary/turf bog; leases were for 999 years at 2 shillings & 6 pence an acre which sublet for £1 an acre;site of an ancient graveyard & Presbyterian church; I have index the people from dwellings 1- 93 from Griffiths Valuations into Surnames Index
SP; SHM '94 p55; V7 p 86, 87 ,88, 91 OSM ; GIC; GV; LR 2010 p83
Ballymacashin House Killinchy residence of Miss Lowry in 1906 & John Orr Lowry Esq. in 1910
ACC p109; POD
Ballymacashen Lough Killinchy 21: 47/59 runs into Ballinree Burn 3km W of Killinchy
Ballymacateer Magheralin 20: 11/58 a townland 2km SW of Magheralin; 732 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' McAteer's townland';owned by the Bishops of Dromore but held by William Worsley in 1609; great bog here
PNNI V6 p 220
Ballymacbredan Magheralin a townland of 189 acres; just west of Magherlin village; click here to see its location on a townland map; means' McBredan's townland';
PNNI V6 p 221

Ballymacbrennan

Ballymacbrinean

Ballymackbrennan

Drumbo 20: 31/62 a townland of 741 acres; 4km SSW of Drumbo village; click here to see its location on a townland map; the proprietor in 1833 was Lord Downshire whose agent was Mr Reilly of Hillsborough; farms from 4-30 acres with one of 56; old leases 8-16 shillings an acre, new leases 25-30 shillings an acre; land quality middling; school established 1818; in 1833 there were 68 houses & families; 48 families were employed in agriculture & 16 in trade & manufacture;70 males & 63 females; 1 professional & 24 servants; visit of Marquis & Marchioness to Mills 3 Sep 1864: Reading Society 15 Oct 1864 (DR); Redaing & Debating Society 21 Feb 1835 (NH)
V7 p 59, 61 & V12 p 101 OSM; DR; NH
Ballymacbrennan Magheralin  . a townland of 298 acres; 4km S. of Moira town; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Brennan's townland';
PNNI V6 p 223
BallymcChrane  . ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; possibly Ballymeckan V17 p 123 OSM
Ballymacromell BallymcCromill BallymcCrumble Killyleagh  . see under Ballymacromwell .
Bally McGarchan
Ballymcgarthary
Moira
. alternate spelling for Ballymagaraghan townland in 1659 census & will of 1717 PNNI V6 p 283
BallyMcGillbrick
Drumballyroney
. spelling used for Ballybrick townland in 1659 Census PNNI V6 p 156
BallymcGort
Kilkeel
. alternate spelling for Ballymagart townland in 1789 PNNI V3 p 25
Ballymcgowan
Ballywalter
. see under Ballymagowan or Springvale .
Ballymcgrevasine  . or Ballymcgrevushane; ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 131 OSM
Ballymcgrevushane  . or Ballymcgrevasine; ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM
Ballymachan Holywood . alternate spelling for Ballymaghan townland .
BallyMcKanollan Magheralin . spelling used for Ballymacanally townland in 1659 census
PNNI V6 p 219
Ballymackeonan Magheralin . see Ballymakeonan
Ballymackilreiny Drumgooland 20: 26/42 a townland in SW of Dromara Hills; 992 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; also spelt Ballymacareney; in 1659 Census it was spelt Port McRian and there were 12 Catholic families here only; by 1841 Census there were 87 familie with 244 males & 249 females
DCPH p 47,131
Ballymackinteare Magheralin . spelling used for Ballymacateer in 1659 census PNNI V6 p 220;
Ballymacknagally Down/Inch residence of Hugh McCalster in 1810; could be Ballygally MID p55; LM 1985 p52
Ballymacmaine Magheralin 20: 12/58 1km SW of Magheralin; 209 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' McMain/Mcmechan's townland';
PNNI V6 p 224
Bally McMartin Kilkeel .
alternate spelling for Ballymartin townland in 1659 census
SP
BallymcMullan Tullylish .
alternate spelling for Ballymacanallen townland in Subsidy Roll of 1663
PNNI V6 p 331
Ballymacnaghy Knockbreda
alternate spelling for Ballymaconaghy townland  
.
BallyMcNally Tullylish . alternate spelling for Ballymacanallen townland in 1659 census PNNI V6 p 331
Ballymacnamee Ballytrustan 21: 63/54 a townland 3km SSW of Cloghy village; 181 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' MacNamee's townland'; in 1659 there were 9 Scots/English & 2 Catholic families here; proprietor Colonel Forde in 1836 V17 p 125, 127 OSM; PNNI V2 p 58; SP
BallyMcNish Ardquin . alternate spelling for Ballyminnish townland in 1659 census PNNI V2 p 31
Ballymcnostra Comber site of the rectory; land & tithes granted to Hugh Montgomerie in 1626 by King Charles 1 V17 p 133 OSM
Ballymaconaghy Clonallan 29: 15/20 a townland 2km N of Warrenpoint; 240 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'MacConaghy's townland' ; originally belonged to Mageniis clan
PNNI V1 p 61
Ballymaconaghy Knockbreda a townland 2km NE of Newtownbreda; 681 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map

Ballymaconell

Ballymaconnell

Bangor a townland of 495 acres;2km E of Bangor; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' McConnell's townland'; in 1659 there were 2 Scots/ English & 7 Catholic families here ; 3 corn mills, 2 flax mills, windmill for grinding corn here in 1836 ; school here in 1836; boy David Beatty killed by water wheel at Lowry's scutch mill 27 Nov 1875; near Groomsport, 8 killed in boiler explosion at Lowrys Mill 24 Dec 1875++ (DR); death notice Mrs. James Lowry at Ballymaconnell Mills 28 Sep 1833 (NH); 8 people killed in boiler explosion 25 Dec 1875 & 22 Jan 1876 V17 p 124 & V7 p 19, 22 OSM; DR: BM; SP; NH; NC; PNNI V2 p 155;GV
Ballymaconnellan Grey Abbey . not mentioned in the high constable's applotment paper in 1836; possibly an alternate name for Ballyurnanellan townland V7 p67 OSM
Ballymacormick Bangor 15:53/84  a townland just W of Groomsport town; 351 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means "McCormick's townland'; ; in 1659 there were 4 Scots/ English & 3 Catholic families here ; 25 acres of rocky land around the shore in 1836; coastguard station with 7 men and an officer in 1836; coastguard watch house here in 1863 V7 p 19, 22, 115 & V7 p 124 OSM; TU p 98; BM; PNNI V2 p 156; SP;GV
Ballymacormick Point Bangor 15:53/84 northern most point of mainland Co. Down; 1km NW of Grromsport town .
Ballymacormick Dromore 20: 22/54 a townland 2km NE of Dromore; 700 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means' McCormick's townland'; church lands
PNNI V6 p 112
Ballymacramery Magheradrool see Ballymacaramery  .
Ballymacratty Donaghmore . alternate spelling for Ballymacaratty townland .
Ballymcreamore Kilkeel . ancient name for Ballyveagh SP
Ballymacreely Ballymareely Killinchy 21: 48/59 a townland 2km SW of Killinchy; 1342 acres click here to see its location on a townland map; a small area of turbary/turf bog in 1833; dinner to James Rea 24 May 1873; Ballymacreely Terrace here V7 p 8687 OSM; DR; old b/w map S11
Ballymacromwell Killyleagh . 3km N of Killyleagh town;218 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map .
Ballymacromwell Lough Killyleagh 21: 52/57 4km N of Killyleagh
Ballymacruise Ballymacrise Donaghadee 15:60/75  a townland of 381 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'McNeice's townland'; the village of Millisle is situated in this townland; school & Presbyterian meeting house here; owned by Andrew Mulholland in 1863 V17 p 124 & V7 p 50 OSM; GIC; PNNI V2 p 184;GV
BallyMcShonchy Clonallan . alternate spelling for Ballymaconaghy townland on Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V1 p 62
BallyMcShrew Donaghadee . ancient townland in 1692; ; in 1659 there were 14 Scots/ English & 6 Catholic families here SP
Bally McTeerfy Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Ballymaderphy townland in 1659 census SP
Bally McVeabegg Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Ballyveagh townland in 1659 census SP
Ballymcwilliam Donaghadee   alternate spelling for Ballywilliam townland in 1650 V17 p 133 OSM; PNNI V2 p 188
Ballymadeerfy
Ballymaderphy
Ballindearphy
Kilkeel 29: 25/15 a townland 6km W of Kilkeel on the Rostrevor road; 429 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' MacDorcy's townland'; part of the Bagenal Estate in 1552 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; in 1659 there were 2 English/Scots & 18 Irish families living here & the owner was Richard Houston Esq.
SP; PNNI V3 p 10, 24 ; MO 5/8/2009 p6
Ballymaganlis
Ballymagarly
Dromore just NW of Dromore town;115 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' McGawley's townland'; mill & bleaching green; 2 schools in 1836; Dromore Catholic church built here in 1785; church land but now part of Dromore suburbs V12 p72,73,76, 78 OSM; V19 MIs; PNNI V6 p 113
Ballymagaraghan Moira 20: 15/59 2km S of Moira;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' McGaraghan's townland'; originally belonged to Sir Art Magennis in 1609; proprietor was Sir R. Bateson in 1836 V12 p 121 OSM; PNNI V6 p 283
Ballymagarrick
Tullylish 
see Ballynagarrick
Ballymagart Kilkeel
29:27/14 
a townland of 202 acres;there is an old mill 3km W of Kilkeel; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Magart's townland'; part of the Bagenal Estate in 1552 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; in 1659 there were 4 English/ Scots & 16 Irish families living here & the owner was Richard Houston Esq
CM ; SP; PNNI V3 p 10, 25 ; MO 5/8/ 2009 p6

Ballymagahan
Ballymagan

Ballymagaughey

Comber a townland 1km SW of Comber; 77 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' O'Mahony's place'; owned by Catholic church in 1615; a flax mill in 1837 ; the proprietor then was Marquis of Londonderry whose agent was Mr. Andrews of Comber; farms from 4-16 acres; rent was 28-30 shillings an acre; land was middling quality;34 males & 33 females in 1837; railway line here in 1863
V7 p 31, 35 ,37, 39, 42 OSM ; TMUOP p232; O'L B p 327; GV
Ballymagee Bangor a townland of 358 acres; 1km SE of Bangor; 1 acres of lake; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Magee's townland'; granted by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie c. 1623 ; owned by Earl of Clanbrassil in 1674; in 1659 there were 9 English/Scots & 1 Catholic family here; whole chapter dedicated to this townland in Townlands of Ulster book; tithe free; major land proprietors in 1860 were Messrs. Maxwell, Nicholson & Whittle; 200 acres belonging to Mr. Hugh White for sale 22 Oct 1795 V17 p12 & V7 p19 , 123 OSM; SP; TU p95-109; BM; NS; PNNI V2 p 157
Ballymagenaghy Drumgooland . see Ballymaginaghy .
Ballymageogh Kilkeel a townland just W of Kilkeel on the Rostrevor road; 1345 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Mageogh's townland; part of the Bagenal Estate in 1552 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; in 1659 there were 6 Irish families , living here & the owner was Richard Houston Esq; Massforth Catholic church here
GIC ; SP; MO 5/8/2009 p6; PNNI V3 p10, 25
Ballymaghan Holywood
15:39/76 
a townland 3km SW of Holywood; 461 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; a school was there in 1834; the proprietor in 1834 was Lord Northland whose agent was Mr Watson of Belfast; there were 28 houses; 18 families employed in agriculture & 1 in trade; 66 males & 86 females; 1 capitalist & 10 servants; railway line here in 1863
V7 p 76, 77 ,79 OSM ;GV
Ballymaghery
Ballymagheree
Clonduff 29: 22/30 a townland 1km NE of Hilltown on Kilcoo road; 419 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means "townland of the plain"; there are remains here of an earthen mound made by prehistoric people; held by Bishops of Dromore in 1610 then the tenants claimed tenant rights & the King granted them leases forever; owned by Mary Mathews in 1641 then passed to her agent William Waring who sold 4 townlands (Ballyaughian, Ballymaghery, Ballynanny & Leitrim) to Narcissus Barr Esq. for £33,000 who evicted tenants who couldn't pay their rents proprietor was Narcissus Batt Esq. in 1834; corn mill in 1836; Catholic church here; owned by Robert Batt in 1863; National School here in 1863; sold to the tenant farmers in 1912 V3 p 5 OSM; GIC; TC; PNNI V3 p 69, 80, 126; DDPP p105; GV; TC p 13,26
Ballymagin Magheralin 20: 12/60 a townland 3km WSW of Moira; 860 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means' McGinn's townland'; belonged to Bishops of Dromore; site of the medieval parish church
PNNI V6 p 225
Ballymaginaghy
Ballymaginthy
Drumgooland 29: 31/38 a townland 3km NW of Castlewellan, next to the Annesley Demesne; 1185 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map;click here for a photo and more information
.
Ballymaglaff
Ballymaglaugh
Comber a townland 4km NE of Comber; 809 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' McClave's place'; mesolithic site here;a flax mill in 1837; the proprietor in 1837 was Mr Blackwood whose agent was Mr. McGowan of Ballysallagh; 36 landholders in 1837; farms from 2-59 acres; rents 30 shillings an acre; land of middling quality; 149 males & 154 females in 1837; National School & railway line here in 1863
V7 p 3537 ,4042 OSM ; TMUOP p23,232; old b/w map R6; GV
Ballymaglafff Donaghmore
?
TU index
Ballymaglasse Comber ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; could possibly be Ballymaglaff V17 p 123 OSM

Ballymaglave

North & South

Magheradrool 2 townlands of 514 & 785 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means “ Maglave’s town”; part of Montalto estate; owned by Lord Moira in 1782 ;bought by Ker family in 1802; proprietor David Ker Esq. in 1836,good quality land; farms from 4-20 acres; rents from 30-45 shillings an acre :concert in aid of funds for Flute Band 27 May 1882; Presbyterian church here; I have indexes the people from the Griffiths Valutaions of 1864 into the Surnames Index EMLR; MP; V17 p 99100, 102104 & BH; DR; GIC; SHM '86 p32; GV ; DR* 3/12/03
Ballymagough Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Ballymageogh townland in 1820 PNNI V3 p 25
Ballymagowan
Ballymcgowan
Ballywalter . ancient name for Springvale in 1700s ; residence of Hans Montgomery Esq. in 1707 & Rev. Hans Montgomery in 1726 MIs
Ballymagreehan Drumgooland a townland 2km NW of Castlewellan; 1243 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map;click here for a photo and more information .
Ballymagreehan Lough Drumgooland 29: 30/37 small lake 4km WNW of Castlewellan
Ballymagreehan Wood Drumgooland 29: 31/36 2km W of Castlewellan
Ballymagreehan Newtownards 21: 46/73 a townland 3km SW of Newtownards; 188 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means McGrehan's townland or 'place of the summer house' ; in 1659 there were 1 English/Scots & 2 Catholic families here
PNNI V2 p 222 ; TMUOP p232; SP
Ballymagough Kilkeel . see Ballymageogh
GDN
Ballymakeonan Magheralin 20: 13/60 a townland with Magheralin village, 2km SW of Moira on Lurgan road; click here to see its location on a townland map; 585 acres; means ' McKeonan's townland'; owned by Bishops of Dromore & held by William Wrosley in 1609; site of old parish church here, & old graveyard
V19 MIs; GIC; PNNI V6 p 226

Ballymalady
Ballymaleddy

Ballymalidy

Comber 21: 43/69 a townland 3km W of Comber; 343 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; proprietor in 1837 was Mr Montgomery whose agent was Mr McGowan of Ballysallagh; 13 landholders; farms were from 20-58 acres; rent was 30-35 shillings an acre; crops potatoes, wheat, oats; 67 males & 55 females in 1837; National School here in 1863
V7 p 37,38 ,39, 42 OSM ;GV
Ballymanagh Ballee . ancient name for Ballybranagh townland LM 1999 p88
Ballymanana Bangor . ancient townland; in 1659 there were 16 English/Scots & 9 Catholic families here SP
Ballymareely Killyleagh  . see Ballymacreely .
Ballymarrish Ballyphilip .
see Ballymarter
.

Ballymarter
Ballymartire

Ballymanish

Ballyphilip & Witter
a townland 4km E of Portaferry; 216 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Marter's townland'; granted to Patrick Savage in 1559; in 1659 there were 2 Scots/English & 15 Catholic families here;proprietor Rev Mr Blacker of Markethill & Mr. Nugent in 1836 ; lowest rent in 1836 was 35 shillings & the highest was £3.3.0; part of this townland is Town Parks; the village of Quinton is in this townland, it consisted of 20 houses in 1836; Quinton Bay Castle built in the 16th century
V7 p 7,126 ,126 & V 17 p 124 OSM; MSGIIG p13; SP; old b/w map T16; O'L V1 p 395; PNNI V2 p 126
Ballymartin Kilkeel 29: 34/17 village on the coast 4km NE of Kilkeel town; 351 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'Gilmartin's townland'; part of the Bangenal Estate in 1552 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; owned by Mr. Merryman c. 1609; in 1659 there were 3 English/Scots & 3 Irish families living here & it was owned by Arthur Monipenny Esq.; Presbyterian meeting house & Catholic church here ;Parochial House here; strong Gaelic Athletic Club here in 1930s; school here SP; V3 p 49 OSM : GIC; PNNI V3 p 10, 26; MO 6/3/2009 p6; DR*9/4/28R
Ballymartin Hill Kilkeel 29: 34/17 1km N of Ballymartin village, overlooks Irish Sea
Ballymartin Tullynakill a townland on the shores of Strangford Lough and Ardmillan village; 310 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; the proprietor in 1836 was Mr Jameson of Banbridge; good land; farms were from 15-20 acres with one at 60 acres; rents 30 shillings an acre;crops were potatoes, wheat & oats; there was one corn & one flax mill; Shipwrecks 10 Apr 1858 V7 p 122 OSM; DR; O'L V1 p 367
Ballymartin Lough Tullynakill 21: 49/63 2km N of Killinchy  .
Ballymartyr Ballyphilip  . see under Ballymarter
Ballymealagh Holywood . see under Ballymenagh .
Ballymeanelan Tullylish . alternate spelling for Ballymacanallen townland PNNI V6 p 331

Ballymeckan
Ballymeekan

Holywood . see under Ballymaghan .
Ballymegart
Kilkeel
. alternate spelling for Ballymagart townland in 1799 PNNI V3 p 25
Ballymegaugh Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Ballymageogh townland in 1815 PNNI V3 p 25

Ballymegaughy Ballymegoughy

Comber . see under Ballymagaughy .
Ballymeglaff Comber . see under Ballymaglaff .
Ballymeilbrick Drumballyroney  . see under Ballymulbrick V3 p 16 OSM
Ballymeladdy Comber .
see under Ballymalady
.
Ballymenagh Dunsford
a townland 2km NW of Dunsford village; 292 acres ; click here to see its location on a townland map 
V17 p 72 OSM
Ballymenagh House Dunsford 21: 55/43 farm; 5km N of Ardglass; residence of Robert McComiskey in 1865
PRONI Wills
Ballymenagh
Ballymenoch
Holywood 15:42/79  a townland 2km E of Holywood; 845 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; a range of hills 600 feet above sea level runs through this townland; contained a windmill; the proprietors in 1834 were Cunningham Gregg & Reilly Blackwood Esq.; there were 41 houses,40 families, 31 employed in agriculture, 3 in trades, 6 in other occupations, 236 total inhabitants, 117 males, 119 females, 59 males above 20; 8 farmers employing labour,17 labouring farmers, 21 labourers employed by farmers, 2 capitalists, 2 males unemployed, 6 male servants above 20, 13 female servants, 3 employed in handicrafts; new road built 25 Jul 1885 V7 p 73, 77, 79 OSM; DR
Ballymenagh House
Ballymenoch House
Holywood .
house & farm estate of 146 acres & gentlemen's residence in 1834; 1 km E of Holywood village; held in fee by Thomas Gregg in 1863 ; residence of John I. O'Reilly Blackwood Esq. in 1871 & Capt. Henry Magill c. 1910
V7 p 74, 76 OSM, map; GV ; PPNZ; JNIFHS 2009 p28
Ballymenoch Park Holywood .
a large house; residence of Capt. Henry Magill c. 1900
JNIFHS 2009 p28
Ballymenatragh Bangor .
alternate spelling for Ballyminetragh townland in 1681
PNNI V2 p 158

Ballymenish

Ardquin  .
see Ballyminnish 
.
Ballymenoch Holywood  . alternate spelling for Ballymenagh townland DR;V7p 79 OSM

Ballymilady Ballymilidy

Comber . see Ballymalady  
Ballymill Clonduff . alternate name for Ballyweely townland in 1659 census PNNI V3 p 82
Ballymincreke Grey Abbey ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM

Ballyminetragh Ballyminetuagh

Bangor
15:55/82 
a townland of 584 acres: 3km E of Bangor; click here to see its location on a townland map; meams ' townland of the kid goats, lower' V17 p 123 OSM; BM; PNNI V2 p 157
Ballyministragh
Ballyminister
Kilmood 21: 49/62 a townland 1km N of Killinchy; 784 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map;means ' place of the monastery'; site of an ancient church; paid tithe to Grey Abbey in 1615; ; grant by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie c. 1627; in 1831 there were 69 houses; 45 families employed in agriculture & 16 in trade; 193 males & 220 females; 21 servants; the proprietor then was Lord Londonderry whose agent was Mr J. Andrews of Comber; farms were from 4 to 27 acres; good land; one school here in 1836;one windmill, a corn mill & two flax mills; old leases were 26 shillings an acres per quarter; Killinchy Presbyterian church is here; Police Barracks here in 1863
V7 p 68, 94, 95 OSM ; V5 MIs; GIC; O'L V1 p 369 & B p 327;GV
Ballyminnish
Ballyminnis
Ballyminesh
Ardquin . a townland NE of Portaferry; 192 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the son of Nash' ;in 1659 there were 6 Scots/English & 0 Catholic families here V17 p 125 OSM; PNNI V2 p 31; SP
Ballymiscan Ballymiscaw Dundonald
15:41/76 
a townland 2km NW of Dundonald village; 853 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means ' place of the fort of the whitethorn tree'; Galway's Fort here; ancient souterrain used by smugglers here;in 1659 there were 9 English/Scots & 6 Irish families;the proprietor in 1837 was Rev. Cleland whose residence was Storm Mount in this townland; ; land quality middling; rent 20-35 shillings an acre; farms from 10-40 acres; crops potatoes & oats in 1837; incendiary fire 10 Feb 1849; firm of Bryce & McKee, William McKee mysterious death 12 Sep 1874; railway line & National School here in 1863 V7 p 40, 65 ,66 OSM: TMUOP p50, 54,75, 231; DR;GV
Ballymisert Holywood townland of 360 acres; the proprietor in 1834 was David Ker Esq. whose agent was Mr Black of Ballynahinch; there were 8 houses; 6 families employed in agriculture & 2 in trade; 49 males & 29 females; 3 capitalists & 6 servants; railway station here in 1863
V7 p 77, 79 OSM ; GV ; ACS p10 (map)
Ballymisert House Holywood in Circular Rd, Strandtown; residence of W. Masteron in 1902
POD
Ballymoat Upper Down see under Ballymote
Ballymoldurtan Kilkeel . alternate name for Mullartown in Bagenal Rent Roll of 1540 PNNI V3 p 52
Bally Monestraghe Kilmood alternate spelling for Ballyministragh townland V17 p 122 OSM
Ballymoney Donaghadee . a townland 4km SSW of Millisle; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'townland of the moor'; in 1659 there were 4 Scots/ English & 4 Catholic families here; owned by Nicholas D. Crommelin in 1863 V17 p 123 OSM; SP; PNNI V2 p 185; GV
Ballymoney Kilbroney a townland just north of Rostrevor town; 303 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the thicket'; originally owned by Magennis clan; proprietor D. Ross Esq. & Mrs. Ross, Bladensberg in 1836 V3 p 27, 31 OSM; PNNI V1 p 141
Ballymoney Wood Kilbroney 29: 17/20 2km N of Rostrevor
Ballymoney Kilcoo 29: 28/34 Kilcoo village is in this townland of 500 acres ;click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'townland of the thicket'; Catholic chapel here & two general graveyards; 2 flax mills here in 1836 ; school built 1833 V3 p 31 OSM; GIC; PNNI V3 p 100,106
Ballymoney Magherally- part a townland 4km N of Banbridge; 390 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means' townland of the thicket'; originally owned by Magennis clan in 1609; belonged to Mr Batt Esq. of Belfast in 1836 then Arthir Hill in 1640; school built 1832 V12 p 114, 116 OSM; PNNI V6 p 260
Ballymoney Newtownards  . a townland 5km NW of Newtownards ; 448 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the moor' ; in 1659 there were 4 English/Scots & 0 Catholic families here; V17 p124 OSM; SP; BM; PNNI V2 p 222
Ballymoney Seapatrick- part 20: 13/48 a townland 2km N of Banbridge; 411 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means' townland of the thicket'; originally owned by Magennis clan in 1609; owner Lord Dungannon; leases to T. M. James Esq. in 1836; Ballmoney Hill was too steep so a new road was built which went through the town of Banbridge which saw its prosperity increase; Ballymoney Lodge here V12 p 123, 126 OSM; BIH p 14; old b/w map H6; PNNI V6 p 309
Ballymoney Cottage Seapatrick . residence of James, Samuel, Hugh &Robert Hamilton c. 1889
MIs
Ballymoney Lodge Seapatrick . residence of Capt. John Scriven in 1819 & 1824
POD
Ballymore ? . school here supported by the Hibernian Sunday School Sociey in 1817 with 57 students attending
HSSS
Ballymore House Down 21: 50/41 farm, 3km SE of Downpatrick on the Killough road
Ballymorran
Ballymorn
Killinchy a townland SE of Killinchy town; 474 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; King John camped here in 1210 on his march from Holywood to Downpatrick; home of poet David Lemon 21 Apr 1838 O'L v1 p 359; DR; V7 p86 OSM
Ballymorran Bay Killinchy 21: 52/60 in Strangford Lough, 3km E of Killinchy; islands nearby are Conlays & Fehary
V7 p 86 OSM 
Ballymorron House
Ballymorn House
Killinchy 21: 52/6.
farm; 2km SE of Killinchy town ; near Strangford Lough; residence of Mrs Cleeland in 1910
old b/w map S11; POD
Ballymorter Slanes see Ballymarter .
Ballymote Lower Down . a townland 4km SE of Downpatrick;172 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to John Treanor Esq.; sold to Brice Smith in 1710; bought by Ker family in 1835 owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford in 1836;there were 10 houses; 7 families employed in agriculture & 1 in trade; 20 males & 30 females; 1manufacturer & 3 servants in 1834 LM 1985 p52; V17 p 55 OSM; O'L V1 p 307, 308; DR* 3/12/03 ; LM 1992 p41 (map)
Ballymote Middle Down . a townland 3km SE of Downpatrick; 169 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; mote means castle (remains of ancient motte just NE of Marlborough House); owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to John Treanor Esq.; sold to Brice Smith or Rowland Brown in 1710 for £400 then sold to Thomas Nevin in 1739 for £420; owned by Southwell Estate & leased to REv. Mr Nevin in 1752; owned by Ker family in 1835; owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford in 1836;there were 11 houses; 8 families employed in agriculture & 2 in trade; 40 males & 31 females; 1 professional & 2 servants LM 1985 p4, 52; LM 1991 p25; V17 p 55 OSM: O'L V1 p 307 ; DR* 3/12/03 ; LM 1992 p490, 41 (map)
Ballymote Upper Down . a townland 2km SE of Downpatrick; 110 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to John Treanor Esq.; owned by Southwell Estate in 1752; owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford in 1836; there were 21 houses; 10 families employed in agriculture & 4 in trade; 47 males & 52 females; 1 manufacturer & 1 servant 1834 LM 1985 p52; V17 p 56 OSM; LM 1991 p25; LM 1992 p41 (map)
Ballymote House Down . near Downpatrick in Ballymote Lower; residence of John Tate Esq. in 1886 & Capt. J.C. Bowen-Colthurst & William McCartney in 1911 POD; LR 2006 p48; LM 1992 p41 (map)

Ballymount

Down there were 59 houses; 35 families employed in agriculture & in trade; 145 males & 166 females; 2 professionals ; 11 servants V17 p 52 ,55, 56 OSM
Ballymoydrillick Clonduff . alternate name for Drumnascamph townland in 1612 PNNI V3 p 86
Ballymulbrick Drumballyroney see under Ballybrick PNNI V6 p 156
Ballymulladie ancient townland in 17th century in East Down;possibly Ballymalady V17 p 123 OSM
Ballymullan Ballywalter . named in 1659 Census ; alternate name for Inishargy
SP
Ballymullan Bangor 15:47/81  a townland of 752 acres ; just S of Crawfordsburn; click here to see its location on a townland map;means ' townland of the low rounded hill'; in 1659 there were 27 English/Scots & 9 Catholic families here; 2 schools here in 1836; 21 acres of mill-pond in 1836; a corn mill in 1836
V7 p19, 25 OSM : BM; SP; O'L V1 p 259; PNNI V2 p 158
Ballymullan Blaris 20: 30/64 a townland 2km E of Lisburn;585 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; good views from Ballymullan Hill; railwayline being built here in 1863
V12 p 27 OSM ;GV
Ballymullan Hill Blaris . SE of Lisburn; from the top you can see Belfast, Carrickfergus, the sea, Lisburn, Hillsborough, Moira & Lurgan; you can see the spires of 11 parish churches- Magheragall, Magherlin, Moira, Hillsborough, Lisburn, Derraghy, Lambeg, Drumbeg, Drumbo, Newtownbreda & Belfast;
V12 p 27 OSM
Ballymullan House Blaris 20: 30/64 farm; 2km E of Lisburn
Ballymulleragh Bangor . alternate name for Groomsport in 1662 PNNI V2 p 164
Ballymurcock Greyabbey . ancient townland in 1659 ; proprietor was George Austin Esq. SP
Ballymurphy Annahilt a townland of 744 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means "Murphy's town"; 70 families in the census without surnames in 1823 ;total 854 inhabitants; 46 employed in agriculture, 16 in trade,21 servants; 30 weavers in 1836 ; proprietor then was Lord Downshire, agent Mr. Reilly; 34 landholders; farms were from 3-31 acres; rents were 10-28 shillings an acre depending on the quality of the land; crops were potatoes, wheat & oats; court leet money was paid through the parish, every farmhouse was 6 pence & for every cottier house 4 pence; HMP; V12 p 20, 21, 22 OSM;BH
Ballymurphy Grey Abbey 21: 57/69 a townland 2km N of Grey Abbey; 396 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map;means ' Murphy's townland'; granted by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie c. 1623 V17 p 122, 123 & V7 p 68 ;OSM; PNNI V2 p 204
Ballymurphy Ardquin a townland just NW of Portaferry; 345 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'Murphy's townland' ;in 1659 there were 14 Scots/English & 14 Catholic families here & the proprietor was Hugh Savage Esq, V17 p 125 OSM; SP; PNNI V2 p 32

Ballymurray Ballymurry
Ballymurrie

Ballee

a townland 4km NW of Dunsford village; click here to see its location on a townland map; during Penal times, Mass was celebrated in a sand-pit in this townland; owned by Earl of Ardglass & leased to Henry, Lord Bishop of meath 1647 then James Lesley by 1669; owned by the Southwell Estate in 1752; sold to Thomas Lyle in 1710; owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford & Mr Mussenden of Annahilt in 1836; there were 6 families here needing famine relief in Aug 1847; article on townland 26 Dec 1868

LM 1985 p53; V17 p 20, 21 ,22 OSM; O'L V1 p 199, 307; LM 1991 [25; DR ; FCD s2 p 25

click here for Ballya...-Ballyg.....

click here for Ballyn...-Ballyw....