Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Ballynoe Stone Circle
Ros Davies'
Co. Down, Northern Ireland Family History Research Site

© Rosalind Davies 2001
Permission granted to reprint research for non-profit use only
Ballystockart,Comber

Place names of Co. Down; Ballym......Ballyw....

click here for Ballya.......Ballyg
click here for Ballyn...-Ballyw....

Ballyn... Ballyo..... Ballyp..... Ballys.....
Ballyt..... Ballyu..... Ballyv..... Ballyw.....

 

Place Names Parish Information

Ballynabragget
Donaghcloney 20: 11/52 a townland 4km SW of Donaghcloney town; 390 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the gorge'; held by Art Magennis in 1609; proprietor was the Marquis of Downshire in 1836; Donaghcloney Presbyterian church here V12 p 59 OSM; V 19 MIs; GIC; PNNI V6 p 87, 88
Ballynacraig Inch 21: 48/50 a townland 4km N of Downpatrick; 511 acres; means' rocky town'; site of an ancient church here; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased by Col. Vere Essex Cronwall; owned by the Southwell estate in 1752 & leased to Robert Maxwell Esq,; school here in 1836; Church of Ireland here; click here to see its location on a townland map; prorietor c. 1830s was J.W. Maxwell Esq; lead mine 8 Apr 1837 LM 1985 p52; LR 2009 p51; V17 p 73 OSM :GIC; TCC p33; LM 1991 p25; O'L V1 p 327; LM 1988 p22; DR
Ballynacraig Newry most of Newry town is in this townland ; 682 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'townland of the crags'; belonged to Newry Abbey in 1157 PNNI V6 p 9; DDPP p2
Ballynacross Annaclone . see under Ballynagross
Ballynadrone Magheralin a townland of 111 acres; just east of Magheralin village; Church of Ireland here; click here to see its location on a townland map; means' townland between two rivers'; owned by Bishops of Dromore
V19 MIs; GIPR ; PNNI V6 p 227
Ballynafeigh Belfast a townland; separation from Co. Down 27 Jul 1867; near Ormeau Bridge, Knockbreda; St. Jude's Church of Ireland here ,built 1873 DR; RWN p 79
Ballynafern Annaclone 29: 17/39 see under Ballinafern; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the alder tree'; V12 p 15 OSM; PNNI V6 p 65
Ballynafoy
Ballynefeigh
Annaclone 20: 15/60 see under Ballinafoy V12 p 16 OSM
Ballynafoy Knockbreda a townland of 821 acres; part of Belfast
Ballynagallagh
Ballynagalliagh
Bright 21: 49/37 a townland 4km NW of Killough; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the foreigners' because of its proximity to Minerstown & the influx of miners; also named Nunstown because of an ancient graveyard; proprietor Major Beauclerk in 1836 V17 p34, 35 OSM; O'L V1 p 151; Inv 2001 p 9
Ballynagappag Ballynagappoge
Ballynagapog
Clonduff a townland of 488 acres ;between Rathfriland and Lough Island Reavy;click here to see its location on a townland map; means "townland of the dock weeds"; owned by Rory Magennis c. 1609; sectarian Battle of Ballynagapog c. 1792; school established 1825, rebuilt 6 Jan 1900; Presbyterian church here; land held by Marquis of Downshire in 1863 O'L V1 p 43; V3 p 4 & V12 p 101 OSM ; GIC; DR*; PNNI V3 p 80; DDPP p113; GV ; TC
Ballynagarrick
Upper & Lower
Drumbo 20: 35/64 a townland of 964 acres; 3km SW of Carryduff; click here to see its location on a townland map; the proprietors in 1833 were Mr Mussenden of Larchfield whose agent was Rev. E.J. Cordner & the Shaw family & Mr. Morrow & Mr. B. Edwards, attorney of Belfast; 48 landholders; rent from 25-30 shillings an acre; turf bog; in 1833 there were 105 houses & families; 63 families were employed in agriculture & 27 in trade or manufacture;265 males & 304 females; 2 professionals & 25 servants; Presbyterian church in Upper
V7 p 59, 62 OSM; GIC 
Ballynagarrick Saul - a detached townland 21: 57/45 a townland 5km S of Strangford town; 222 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the rocks'; old Mass stations of Parcanarry & Craigarory here; owned by Lord Bangor & C. Leslie Esq. In 1836; rocky dry soil; 1 smithies; festivities by farmers 10 Feb 1849; Ballynagarrick House here V17 p 114, 115 OSM; DR; Inv 2000 p 23 & 2001 p 10, 25
Ballynagarrick Tullylish a townland 4km N of Gilford & Tullylish villages; click here to see its location on a townland map; 862 acres; means ' townland of the rocks';originally belonged to Magennis clan in 1609; Presbyterian church here; corn mill near Clare bog; proprietor Earl of Clanwilliam & A. R. Stewart Esq. of Donegal in 1836 ; school here in 1836 V12 p 141,142, 143, 144 OSM; PNNI V6 p 332
Ballynagarrick House Tullylish ? . residence of Wright Babe in 1869 PPNZ
Ballynagee Bangor . alternate spelling for Ballymagee townland in 1659 SP
Ballynagelbegge Down also called Ballykilbeg; land seizure 1625 MID p 34
Ballynagelty Kilbroney in the Rostrevor mountains;2km N of Carlingford Lough; woods V3 p6, 28 OSM; CM
Ballynagowne Ballywalter ancient name for Springvale townland SP
Ballynagross Annaclone 29: 14/39  a townland 4km SW of Annaclone village;368 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the crosses'; in 17th century it was part of Shankill; estate of General Meade in 1836 V12 p 16 OSM; PNNI V6 p 67

Ballynagross
Upper & Lower

Ballee a townland 5km W of Dunsfort village; 285 & 295 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased by Rev. Robert Echlin (Irish) & Patrick McMolyne (English part) ; part sold to Adam McCutcheon in 1710 then Rev. A. Walsh in 1718 then Hugh Henry then Joshua MsGeough in 1813; & part to Downshire Estate in 1710 then Rev. Thomas Nevin then leased to Mr. Johnston; Irish part owned by Southwell Estate in 1752; owned by Lord De Clifford; proprietor Mr Bond McGeogh, Armagh & Trinity College in 1836 ; there were 22 families needing famine relief in these townlands Aug 1847; waylaying incident 4 Dec 1852; article on townland 2 Jan 1869 LM 1985 p52,53; V17 p 22 OSM; DR; O'L V1 p 307; LM 1991 p25; FCD S2 p 25
Ballynagunikan Ballynagunaghan Donaghcloney alternate spelling for Ballygunaghan .
Ballynahatten Kilkeel a townland of 333 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means townland of the gorse'; owned by the Abbey of Newry in 1157; part of the Bangenal Estate in 1552 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s
PNNI V3 p 10, 26 ; J,LSG 2010 p15; MO 5/8/ 2009 p6
Ballynahatty Drumbo 20: 32/69 a townland of 257 acres; banks of river Lagan south of Belfast; click here to see its location on a townland map; the village of Milltown is in this townland; there is a circular Giant's Ring with a diameter of 222m on the top of a hill & a cromlech in the centre; a place of defence in ancient times; the proprietor in 1833 was Lord Dungannon whose agent was Capt Skinner of Belfast; 7 landholders; very good quality land; a flour mill, a log wood mill,a beetling mill in 1833; in 1833 there were 37 houses; 18 families were employed in agriculture & 10 in trade or manufacture; 873 males & 103 females; 8 servants;
V7 p 57, 59, 62 OSM : HMNI p 89
Ballynahinch Magheradrool a market town & a townland of 775 acres; the town is in Ballymaglave North townland; means 'townland of the river meadow'; click here for a map of the town in 1782;click here for a photo and more information; click here for a history of Ballynahinch .
Ballynahinch Junction Kilmore 21: 41/55 old disused railway station, in Ballydyan townland; click here to see its location on a map
NWAG p 37 map 
Ballynairy Saul or Ballyverebay; ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; most possibly Ballynarry V17 p 123 OSM
Ballynamagna Drumballyroney 29: 17/36 a townland 3km NW of Rathfriland; 676 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the O'Beggans'; held by Sir Art Magennis in 1609; ancient silver coins found before 1836; corn & flax mill; proprietor General Meade in 1836; old rents from 2- 12 shillings an acre; new rents 27-35 shillings an acre; largest farm 53 acres V3 p 12, 16, 18 OSM; PNNI V6 p 158
Ballynamoney
Kilbroney
. alternate spelling for Ballymoney townland on Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V1 p 141
Ballynanagh
Clonduff 
alternate name for Ballynanny townland in 1659 census V17 p 123 OSM; SP
Ballynanemore ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM
Ballynanery or Ballygaireige; Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM
Ballynanny
Ballynany
Annaclone 20: 14/42 a townland 5km SE of Banbridge; 538 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' routeway of the marsh'; its ancient name was Baile Chaisil (Comgall's Castle); bog here ; proprietor Mr Jones Esq. In 1836; Presbyterian church here V12 14, 16 OSM; DDPP p104; GIC; PNNI V6 p 67
Ballynannay Ballynanny Clonduff 29: 24/28 a townland in the foothills of the Mournes near Hen Mountain ; 3km SE of Hilltown; 1698 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means " townland of the uncut bog or marsh "; the ancient 7th century monastery of Ballycommogue was in this townland (an offshoot of Bangor Abbey) ; its 1st Abbot was St. Mochommoc who died AD655; held by Ever Magennis in 1609 then the Bishops of Dromore by 1611 then the tenants claimed tenant rights & the King granted them leases forever; owned by Mary Mathews in 1641 then passed to her agent William Waring who sold 4 townlands (Ballyaughian, Ballymaghery, Ballynanny & Leitrim) to Narcissus Barr Esq. for £33,000 who evicted tenants who couldn't pay their rents ; proprietor was Narcissus Batt Esq. in 1834 & Robert Batt in 1863; Ballynanny House here; farms sold to the tenant farmers in 1912
GAA CS p 19;TC; AR p 3; PNNI V3 p 69, 71, 81, 106; GV; DDPP p104,105 ; TC p15,26
Ballynanny House Clonduff . residence of the influential Hall family TC p15
Ballynaris Dromore 20: 19/54 a townland 1 km NW of Dromore;986 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the building'; Palace of Lord Bishop of Dromore in 1836; church lands until 1868 V12 p 76 OSM; PNNI V6 p 114
Ballynarry Saul - a detached townland a townland 5km SE of Downpatrick; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the forth' ;in Feb 1646, James Audley junior sold townland to Bernard Ward; in 1177 English settlers used the ancient raths or forts; site of an ancient Catholic chapel; Lord Bangor owner in 1836 ; part rocky-part clay; game of hurley played here 1830s; story about growing up in Ballynarry V17 p114 OSM; Lm 1986 p6; LWAG p 2; Inv 1997 p 29 & 2001 p 10 & 2002 p 15; O'L V1 p p204, 211
Ballynaskeagh Aghaderg a townland 5km SE of Loughbrickland; 665 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the thornbushes';part of the old district of Shankill;paid tithes to Catholic church in 1615; held by Sir Hugh Montgomery in 1615; Ballynaskeagh House here V12 p 1 OSM; old b/w map E8; PNNI V6 p 25; O'L B p319, 326
Ballynaskeagh Cross Roads Aghaderg 29: 14/38 5km SE of Loughbrickland
Ballynaskeagh Newtownards . alternate spelling for Ballyskeagh townland in 1664
PNNI V2 p 224
Ballynavally Drumbo a townland just N of Purdysburn town; 298 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; contains Shaw's Bridge over the River Lagan; in 1833 there was a corn mill & a flax mill; the proprietor in 1833 was Mr P Dunlop whose agent was Mr W. Malcom of Hillhall; farmed by the proprietor; very good quality land; 1 corn mill & 1 wood log mill in 1833; there were 68 houses; 27 families were employed in agriculture & 13 in trade or manufacture; 141 males & 169 females; 3 professionals; 13 servants; Methodist church here
V7 p 54, 56, 60 ,62 OSM ; GIC
Ballyndooalty
Kilbroney
. alternate spelling for Ballindoalty townland in 1732 PNNI V1 p 136
Ballyneboyle
Greyabbey 
alternate name for Ballyboley townland in 1627 V17 p 123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 201
Ballynecreeire Comber ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; could be Ballycreelly V17 p 123 OSM
Ballynecross Annaclone . spelling for Ballynagross townland in Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V6 p 67
Ballynecross Magheralin . alternate spelling for Ballycross townland in 1661 PNNI V6 p 259
Ballyneddan Kilbroney 29: 20/15 a townland near Carlingford Lough, 3km SE of Rostrevor;129 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the stream'; originally belonged to Donald & James McYawn then Nicholas Bagnall in 1585; proprietor David Ross Esq. in 1836 V3 p 28, 31 OSM; CM; PNNI V1 p 142
Ballyneddan Upper Kilbroney . a townland of 117 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map .
Ballynefeigh Annaclone . spelling of Ballinafoy in Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V6 p 66
Ballynegallbegge Down . alternate name for Ballykilbeg townland in 1586 O'L B p 583
Ballynegardis Newtownards . alternate name for Tullynagardy townland in 1830 PNNI V2 p 236
Ballyneghee Bangor  . alternate name in 1659 Census for Ballymagee TU p 107; PNNI V2 p 157
Ballynekelly Seapatrick . alternate spelling for Ballykelly townland PNNI V6 p 308
Ballynemagenagh
Ballynemognagh
Drumballyroney spelling for Ballynamagna townland on Rent Roll of 1692 & 1659 Census PNNI V6 p 158
Ballynemagheriawly Magherally ancient name for Magherally V12 p 112 OSM
Ballynemaghery
Clonduff
. alternate spelling for Ballymaghery townland in Subsidy Roll of 1662 PNNI V3 p 80
Ballynemary  . ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM
Ballynemoney Donaghadee & Kilcoo alternate spelling for Ballymoney townland in 1636 & 1659 V17 p 123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 185 & V3 p 106
Ballynenullan
Greyabbey 
alternate spelling for Ballyurnanellan townland in 1627 V17 p 123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 205
Ballynercreagh Inch or Ballycanenreagh; Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; possibly Ballynacraig V17 p 123 OSM
Ballynercrosse Ballee  . ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; possibly Ballynagross V17 p 123 OSM
Ballyneross
Dromore
. spelling for Ballynaris townland in a will of 1763 PNNI V6 p 115
Ballyneshatny
Kilkeel
. alternate spelling for Ballynahatten townland in Subsidy Roll of 1663 PNNI V3 p 27
Ballynescore
Greyabbey
 . alternate spelling for Ballynester townland V17 p 123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 204
Ballynessian-tragh Grey Abbey or Ballyblack; Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM

Ballynester Ballynestor

Grey Abbey 21: 58/69 a townland 1km N of Grey Abbey; 191 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; has an area of bog; means' townland of the doorkeeper' V17 p 123 & V7 p 67 OSM; PNNI V2 p 204
Ballyneva Grey Abbey  . ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; most probably Ballynova V17 p 123 OSM
Ballynevary  . or Ballynemary- an ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM
Ballynewport
Ballynybert
Rathmullan a townland 5km NW of Killough; 287 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; originally in the Catholic parish of Down; proprietor was Brett family c. 1786 then Mr Hamilton in 1836 O'L B p 523; V17 p 35 OSM; old b/w map M15; LM 1983 V1 p13; LM 1999 p89
Ballynichol
Ballynicholl

Ballytrustan
a townland 1km W of Portaferry town; 201 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Nichol's townland'; in 1659 there were 6 Scots/English & 2 Catholic families here; lowest rent in 1836 was 30 shillings & the highest £3.3.0; proprietor was Mr. Nugent; part of this townland was Town Parks
V7 p 7 OSM; SP; PNNI V2 p59

Ballynichol

Ballynickle

Comber 21: 45/68 a townland 2km S of Comber ; 289 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; the proprietor in 1837 was Mr. Johnston of Belfast;land quality middling; old leases at 14 shillings an acre; size of farms 10-70 acres; rent 30-40 shillings an acre in 1837; 40 males & 49 females in 1837; ancient stones called The Altar, 5 stones, 6 feet high & Five Sisters here ; railway line here in 1863
V7 p 37, 40, 42 ,44 OSM ; old b/w map R8;TOOC p17; GV
Ballynichol House Comber . house & farm of 52 acres in Ballynichol townard, leased by William Boyd in 1863 from Sir Willia. G. Johnson
GV
Ballynigillgall
Clonallan
. alternate name for Ballyvally townland on Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V1 p 64
Ballynisure ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 122 OSM
Ballynock Moira 20: 19/57 alternate spelling for Ballyknock townland V12 p118, 120 OSM
Ballynockan Saintfield . alternate spelling for Ballyknockan townland POD
Ballynoe Bright 21: 48/40 a townland 4km S of Downpatrick; click here to see its location on a townland map ; Druidical ring here; owned by the Soythwell Estate in 1752; assigned to Capt. William Hamilton by James Shane c. 1767; bought by Ker family in 1835; proprietors heirs of Lord De Clifford in 1836 ; school here in 1836; deeds & leases 1790-1819 in PRONI; railway station site LM 1985 p7; V17 p33,36 OSM; LM 1991 p27; OFD p192; NWAG p37 map; HMNI88; DR* 3/12/03 ; LM 1998 p96; LM 2000 p44-61 (archaeology)
Ballynoe Donaghadee a townland 1km W of Donaghaee town; 187 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means ' new town' being a new settlement built near Donaghadee town in 1605; in 1659 there were 0 English/Scots & 5 Catholic families here; owned by Daniel Delacherois in 1863 V17 p 124 OSM; PNNI V2 p 185;SP; GV
Ballynoris Dromore . spelling for Ballynaris townland in 1659 Census PNNI V6 p 115
Ballynova Grey Abbey land & tithes granted to Hugh Montgomerie in 1626 by King Charles 1st V17 p 133 OSM
Ballynreacy Inch residence of Martin family in 1768 MID p 91
Ballynteir Clonduff . an ancient townland c. 1659; could be Ballintur PNNI V3 p 100

Ballyobegan Ballyobigan
Ballyobikin

Inishargy 21:62/66 a townland 3km S of Ballywalter town; 564 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Hopkin's townland' ; in 1659 there were 13 Scots/English & 4 Catholic families here & the proprietor was James Wallace Esq.; coastguards house here in 1863 V17 p 125 & V7 p 85 OSM;SP; PNNI V2 p 87;GV
Ballyobegan House
Ballyobecan House
Inishargy 21: 62/66 house & farm of 51 acres; 1km from the shore , 3km S of Ballywalter town; residence of Alexander Allen Esq. in 1834; described as spacious & rather handsome house but looks bare without any planting around it ; held in fee by Robert Allen in 1863 & residence of William Gibson in 1886 & James A. Gibson in 1910
V7 p85 OSM ; PNNI V2 p 88; GV ; POD
Ballyobenden ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; possibly Ballobegan V17 p 123 OSM
Ballyoghley Saintfield .
means ' place of the young warriors; ancient name for Oughly townland
O'L V1 p 375 & 3766
Ballyoran
Ballyorran
Dundonald a townland 3km E of Dundonald town; 228 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' place of the cold spring'; in 1659 there were 2 English/Scots & 3 Irish families; proprietor in 18th century was Lambert family; 1 corn mill in 1837; the proprietor in 1837 was Councillor Craig of Lisburn; good land; farms from 10-56 acres; rent £2 an acre; public works program instigated for famine relief with road upgrade from Ballyoran to Churchquarter in 27 May 1848
V7 p 40, 65 OSM ; TMUOP p75, 90, 231; FCD S2 p 8
Ballyoran House Dundonald
.
in Ballyoran townland; built in 1878 by McRoberts family
TMUOPS p 145
Ballyorgan Rathmullan a detached townland of 319 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map;site of an ancient church here called Chapel NaCoole ; originally owned by Bangor Abbey in 1615; held by Sir Robert Ward in 1670; bought by James Cumine c. 1720; windmill for corn here in 1836 V17 p 67,108 OSM; O'L V1 p 201, 307, 325 & B p 140, 322; Inv 2001 p 36;LR 2003 p 44; LM 1985 p3; LR 2011 p9
Ballyorgan House Rathmullan . built by James Cumine before 1755; described as a 2 storey mansion house with sitting room on each side of the hall door and 5 windows above and and orchard; only the pigeon house remained by 1850
LM 1985 p3; LM 1996 p28
Ballyoudan Kilclief . ancient name for Ballywoodan townland
O'L V1 p 203
Ballyowen House Drumbo 20: 31/67 farm; on the S bank of river Lagan S of Belfast; formerly Ballygowan House & owned by the Johnson family
PE
Ballyphilip Ballyphilip a townland & a parish on the entrance to Strangford Lough ; the town of Portaferry is near this parish; 180 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Philip's townland'; parish boundaries changed 12 Jan 1828; lowest rent in 1836 was 35 shillings & highest was £3.3.0; proprietor was Mr. Nugent; part of Town Parks is in this townland; school here
NCT; V7 p 7 OSM; O'L B p 328; PNNI V2 p 41

Ballyplant
Ballypaunt
Ballyplunt
Ballyplont

Rathmullan
21:46/38 
a townland 6km SW of Downpatrick; 375 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Alderman Hutchinson c. 1641 then William Hamilton; proprietor Colonel Ward with his authority William McMullen in 1836; lead mine 8 Apr 1837 LR 2006 p18; V17 p 35, 37 OSM;LM 1988 p22 ; LM 1999 p88; DR; LM 2000 p88
Ballyquillan Newtownards . townland in 1659 ;there were 6 English/Scots & 2 Catholic families here; SP

 

Ballyquentin

Ballyquinton
Ballyquintine

Ballyphilip or

Witter

a townland 4km SE of Portaferry, on the southern most tip of Ards Peninsula; click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1659 there were 12 Scots/English & 19 Catholic families here & the proprietors were Robert Maxwell & his son, Colin; proprietor Rev Mr Blacker of Markethill & Mr Nugent in 1836: rents in 1836 were between 9 shillings & 25 shillings with highest rent at 35 shillings; sale of wreck 3 Aug 1844; shipping casualty steamer 'Dunmore' stranded 27 Aug 1881; shipwreck 'SS Ayreshire' 11 Apr 1885 V7 p 7, 125 & V17 p 125, 127 OSM; DR; PNNI V2 p 127; SP ; DS 1998 p58
Ballyquinton Point Ballyphilip 21: 62/45 southern most tip of the Ards Peninsula in the Irish Sea
V7 p 9 OSM 
Ballyraer Donaghadee . alternate spelling for Ballyrawer townland in 1659 census
PNNI V2 p 186
Ballyrainey Dundonald 21: 44/72 a townland 5km SE of Dundonald; 445 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' place of the point'; owned by Clannaboy O'Neills before 1600;Bronze Age pottery found here & ancient fairy ring; in 1659 there were 4 English/Scots & 8 Irish families; 1 flax mill in 1837;there was a flax mill in 1836; the proprietor in 1837 was Mr Houston, a banker from Belfast; very good land; farms from 5-40 acres; rent 25- 40 shillings an acre; old leases 10 shillings; crops oats,potatoes, wheat, oats, some flaX,;railway here in 1863
V7 p 41 ,65 ,110 OSM ; TMUOP p28, 43,65, 75, 231 ;GV
Ballyrainey House Dundonald . house & farm of 74 acres; residence of Freeman Hardy in 1852; leased by Samuel Carson in 1863 from Mary Bkaiston-Houston
POD; GV; old b/w map S7
Ballyraphere  . ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM
Ballyrange Down
see Ballyvange 
TAB
Ballyrann Kilkeel .
alternate spelling for Ballinran townland in 1659 census
SP
Ballyrare Donaghadee
alternate spelling for Ballyrawer townland in 1833 
V17 p 124 OSM; PNNI V2 p 186
Ballyrassell Bangor . mill dam of 123 acres in 1836
V7 p 19 OSM
Ballyrawer Donaghadee 21: 58/73 Carrowdore Castle is in this townland; 7km S of Donaghadee; 336 acres;means ' a thick townland'; click here to see its location on a townland map; contains a small pond & a spring impregnated with iron; in 1659 there were 8 Scots/ English & 1 Catholic families here; a Church of Ireland & Presbyterian churches here ; owned by Nicholas D. Crommelin in 1863
V7 p 45, 49 OSM; SP; GIC ; PNNI V2 p 186; GV
Ballyreagh Dromore . alternate name for Magherabeg townland in 1609 PNNI V6 p 138

Ballyrea
Ballyreagh
Ballyree

Newtownards

21: 51/73 a townland 2km SE of Newtownards; 333 acres ; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'townland of the ram'; in 1659 there were 4 English/Scots & 6 Catholic families here; the proprietor in 1836 was Lord Londonderry & in 1863 the Marquis of Londonderry ; fire on Shore Rd, Alex Paton's 9 Nov 1889 V17 p 123 & V7 p 111, 113 OSM; SP; NC; PNNI V2 p 223 ;GV

Ballyrea
Ballyree
Ballyray

Bangor a townland of 233 acres & 2 acres of marsh; click here to see its location on a townland map; means' townland of the heather'; in 1659 there were 4 English/Scots & 3 Catholic families here; 200 acres belonging to Mr. Hugh White for sale 22 Oct 1795 V7 p 19 & V17 p124 OSM; SP; NS; PNNI V2 p 159
Ballyregan Dundonald
15:41/75 
a townland which contains the village of Dundonald; 522 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' O'Regan's place'; in 1659 there were 7 English/Scots & 2 Irish families; the proprietors in 1837 were J. Ross of Ballyalloly & Mr Jackson of Ballybay. good quality land; farms from 8-40 acres; rents were 35 shillings an acre in 1837; Church of Ireland & Presbyterian Meeting House, school established 1829;
V7 p 41 ,64, 65 OSM; TMUOP p75, 231  
Ballyregan Saul . a clachan in Ringbane townland PE

Ballyreanew Ballyrenan

Ballee
21:54/45 
a townland 5km E of Downpatrick near Lough Money; 604 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford & Lord Bangor in 1836 V17 p 20, 21 22 OSM
Ballyreig Kilkeel . alternate name for Ballyveagh townland in Subsidy Roll of 1663 PNNI V3 p 28
Ballyrenan
Ballyrenald
Inch 21: 47/47 a townland of 604 acres 2km NW of Downpatrick; click here to see its location on a townland map;derived from Bally Regnall meaning townland of Ragnal/ Reynold l (a Viking name); ancient woodland here; originally owned by Inch Abbey; owned by Earl of Ardglass & leased to John Echlin Esq. 1637- 1698 ; new roads at Stranaghan’s hill 29 May 1852; melancholy suicide 29 Jun 1878 V17 p 73 OSM; LM 1985 p53; LM 1999 p36; DR; TCC p33; O'L V1 p 325l LR 2009 p51

Ballyrichard

Ballyrickard
Ballyregart

Comber a townland 3km NE of Comber; 397 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; ancient church here before 1622; paid tithes to Catholic church in 1615; land & tithes granted to Hugh Montgomerie in 1626 by King Charles 1st; proprietor in 1837 was the Marquis of Londonderry whose agent was Mr Andrews of Comber;very good land; farms from 10-50 acres;rent 21-38 shillings an acre;49 males & 49 females in 1837; railway here in 1863;melancholy suicide near Comber 12 Jun 1886 V17 p 73 & V7 p 37, 39, 42 OSM; TOOC p24; GV; DR; O'L B p 326, 327
Ballyridley
Ballyriddelly
Ardquin a townland on the shores of Lough Cowey; 236 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Ridels' townland'; in 1659 there were 6 English/Scots & 0 Catholic families here; Tenant Rights meeting 12 Feb 1881 V17 p 125 & V7 p 4 OSM; DR;SP; PNNI V2 p 32
Ballyroastee Ballyphilip  . ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; possibly Ballyrusley V17 p 123 OSM
Ballyrobert Holywood
15:44/82 
a townland of 460 acres; on the shore near Helen's Bay;click here to see its location on a townland map ; a school established in 1820; the proprietor in 1834 was H. Kennedy Esq. whose agent was Mr Crawford of Ballycultra; there were 30 houses; 21 families employed in agriculture & 1 in trade; 80 males & 84 females; 1 capitalist; 17 servants; Gospel Temperance Meeting 24 Mar 1894
V7 p 76 ,77, 78 OSM ; GV; BM; NC
Ballyrogan Kilkeel also called Mourne Park townland; 1141 acres;3km NW of Kilkeel;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' O'Rogan's townland'; part of the Bagenal Estate in 1552 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; 8 Irish people living here in 1659, the owner was Richard Houston Esq.;
CM ; SP ; MO 5/8/2009 p6; PNNI V3 p 10, 27
Ballyrogan Ballyroghan Newtownards 15:46/74 
a townland 3km NW of Newtownards; 363 acres ; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' O'Rogan's townland; owned by Clannaboy O'Neills before 1600; in 1659 there were 2 English/Scots & 2 Catholic families here;there was a corn mill, a windmill for flax and a National school here in 1836  (& 1863)
;V7 p 100 OSM; SP; BM; PNNI V2 p 224; TMUOP p65;GV
Ballyrolly Down 21: 43/41 a townland 2km NE of Clough on the Downpatrick road; 310 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means Rolf's or Ralph's townland'; site of an ancient chapel & crannoge;paid tithes to Nuns of Down in 1615; in 1625 land seizure, by Robert Swoords; owned by John W Maxwell Esq. proprietor Mrs. Colt Maxwell, London in 1836; old graveyard here LR 2005 p 22V17 p 52, 55, 57 OSM: MID p 34; GIC; O'L v1 p 305, 306 & B p 327
Ballyrolly Donaghadee a townland 1km S of Millisle; 253 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; site of an ancient Catholic chapel called Ralftona ; in 1659 there were 6 Scots/ English & 2 Catholic families here; Girls Free Schoolhouse here in 1863 V17 p 124 OSM ; O'L B p 284;SP; PNNI V2 p 177, 186;GV
Ballyrolly Burn Donaghadee 21: 58/74 near Carrowdore Castle; 7km S of Donaghadee
Ballyrolly House Donaghadee 15:60/75 farm estate on the coast; 1km S of Millisle .
Ballyroney Drumballyroney 29: 22/38 village and townland of 1241 acres; 4km NNE of Rathfriland; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'O'Roney's townland'; site of ancient earthwork motte & bailey called Castle of Magh Cobha, destered in favour of Seafin Castle; ancient Mass Rock here; proprietors J. Byrch Esq. & Mr Prentis of Armagh & J Haddock of Dublin in 1836; Presbyterian Church here; lake here ; bridge over River Bann; school next to church; flow bog; largest farm 35 acres; rents from 18-20 shillings an acre; Mr McReavy’s farm here ; ancient rath here ; Homicide 5 Mar 1842: riot 21 Mar 1846; Protestant Association 11 Apr 1868; narrow gauge railway Banbridge to Castlewellen through Ballyroney 31 Jan 1880 V3 p 10, 11, 13, 14 , 15, 16, 18 OSM; DDPP p3, 133; DR; WAG p 37 map; IPP p 110; GIPR; PNNI V6 p 159
Ballyroney Lake Drumballyroney 29: 23/38 1km NE of Ballyroney village; ancient crannog in centre
PNNI V6 p 179; IPP p 38
Ballyroolley Killyleagh Moore family here in 1805; possibly Ballyrolly MID p 142
Ballyrosane ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM
Ballyrosse Clonallan . alternate spelling for Ballyrussell townland in 1659 census
PNNI V1 p 63
Ballyrowghroogh Ardkeen . ancient name for Rowreagh townland
O'L V1 p 426
Ballyrush Comber a townland 3km SSW of Comber; 539 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; proprietor in 1837 was the Marquis of Londonderry whose agent was Mr Andrews of Comber; farms from 15-20 acres; good quality land; rent 20-30 shillings an acre in 1837;87 males & 85 females in 1837;railway here in 1863
V7 p 37, 39, 42 OSM ;GV
Ballyrush House Comber 21: 43/66 house & farm of 97 acres; 3km SSW of Comber ; owned by Marquis of Londonderry in 1863 & leased by Samuel Kerr; residence of late Robert Kerr in 1873
GV ; NLAT
Ballyrushboy Knockbreda townland of 96 acres ; now part of Belfast

Ballyrusley Ballyrussley
Ballyrusselly

Ballyphilip a townland 4km NE of Portaferry town; 231 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Russell's townland';in 1659 there were 5 Scots/English & 2 Catholic families here; proprietor Mr Nugent of Ballymurphy in 1836; lowest rent then was 25 shillings an acre & the highest 35 shillings V7 p 7 & V17 p123, 124, 126 OSM; PNNI V2 p 45; SP
Ballyrussell Clonallan a townland north of Warrenpoint; 278 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'Russell's townland' ;the proprietor 1810- 1891 was Narcissus Batt then his son, Robert & grandson Robert
PNNI V1 p 62 ; NR 30/6/2005 p67
Ballyrussell Comber 21: 42/71 a townland 4km NW of Comber; 453 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' de Rossal's place'; in 1659 there were 6 English/Scots & 2 Irish families; the proprietor in 1837 was J. Hammill of Newtownards whose agent was Mr Sinclair of Belfast; farms from 10-40 acres; rent 20-28 shillings an acre in 1837; land of middling quality; 68 males & 54 females in 1837; public works program instigated for famine relief with road upgrade from the bridge to Comber in 27 May 1848 ; railway line here in 1863
V7 p3, 40, 42 OSM; TMUOP p75, 232; FCD S2 p 9 ; GV
Ballyrussell House Comber . NW of Comber; residence of James Wood in 1902
POD
Ballysallagh Ballee 21: 53/43 a townland 4km SE of Downpatrick; 401 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to Sir Robert Ward; east portion lease sold to William Irwin in 1710 then Provost Baldwin in 1752 ; owned by the Southwell estate in 1752; leased to John McMeehan in 1772 then James Lang then Mr Auchinleck;proprietor Mr Crawford, Dublin & Mr Thomson, Dublin in 1836 ; western portion leased by Provost Baldwin in 1752 to John Speers who sold it in 1772 to James Crawford who sold it to John Craig in 1836; there were 19 families needing famine relief here in Aug 1847; article on townland 2 Jan 1869 LM 1985 p52; LM 1991 p25; V17 p 20, 22 OSM; DR; O'L V1 p 307, 308
Ballysallagh Major & Minor Bangor a townland of 934 acres; near Crawfordsburn; 98 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means' dirty townland'; in 1659 there were 28 English/Scots & 13 Catholic families here;uncultivated land in 1836; a flax mill in 1836; a school in Minor in 1836; new Presbyterian church 30 Apr 1842 V7 p 19, 25 OSM; DR;SP; BM; PNNI V2 p 160; FCD S2 p 25
Ballysallagh House Bangor 15:47/79 house & farm of 13 acres in Ballysallagh Minor townland ; 5km SW of Bangor; leased by James Kennedy in 1863 from Lord dufferin & Claneboye GV
Ballysallagh Ballysallough Dromore 20: 21/52 a townland 2km SE of Dromore;573 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the herds'; held by William Worsley in 1609; church lands until 1868; black bog here V12 p 70 OSM; PNNI V6 p 116
Ballyscragh Aghaderg . alternate name for Ballynaskeagh townland O'L B p 319
Ballyscrue Down . ancient name for Ballystrew townland LM 1999 p88
Ballyshancole
Ballyshanholes
Aghaderg alternate name for Shankhill townland V12 p 3 OSM

Ballysheil or Ballyshell

Annaclone 20: 20/41 a townland 7km N of Rathfriland; on banks of the Bann river; 385 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; held by O'Sheil family in 1527; owned by Bishop of Dromore with proprietor J. Ogle Esq. Newry in 1836 DDPP p132; V12 p 16 OSM
Ballysherrin Down . ancient name for Lisboy townland
O'L v1 p 259
Ballysilly Saintfield . a small, shallow lake; pike, trout & eels caught in it in 1837; also called Ballygilly
V7 p 117 OSM
Ballyskeagh
Ballyskeogh
Lambeg 20: 29/67 in Co. Antrim; a townland of 430 acres; 1km W of Drumbeg village; click here to see its location on a townland map ; in 1659 there were 14 English/Scots & 4 Catholic families here
SP; SHM '94 p56
Ballyskeagh
Lower & Upper
Newtownards
a townland 3km NW of Newtownards; Upper/ High 669 acres & Lower 372 acres; means ' townland of the hawthorne'; click here to see its location on a townland map; ancient standing stone here (photo available); site of an ancient chapel in Chapel Field; in 1659 there were 11 English/ Scots & 2 Catholic families here;in 1836 there was a windmill for flax  & a National school ; eviction 16 Feb 1889
V7 p 110 OSM; NC; SP; PNNI V2 p 224; TMUOP p28,38
Ballyskeagh House Newtownards
15:46/77
farm; 3km NW of Newtownards .
Ballyskelly Bangor . an old townland in 17th century now part of Ballygrot townland PNNI V2 p 145, 176
Ballyspurge
Ballyspiuge

Slanes

a townland 2km S of Clogy village, on the coast; 212 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Sporde's townland' after Sprod'es Castle here in 1595; in 1659 there were 7 Scots/English & 4 Catholic families here;proprietor Mr McNeilly & Mr. Nugent in 1836; kelp; all rents above 22 shillings;in 1837 there was a ruin of a house called Whitehouse built 1640 by Patrick Savage V7 p8,121 & V17 p 125, 127 OSM; SP; HMNI p114; old b/w map U 16; PNNI V2 p 116 ; LR 2005 p18

Ballystockard

Ballystockert

Comber 21: 43/71 a townland 2km NW of Comber; 628 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'place of the high stook'; click here for a photo; a flax mill, 2 corn mills & a school in 1837; part proprietors were the Marquis of Londonderry whose agent was Mr Andrews of Comber & Rev. Cleland;34 landholders in 1837; In Rev Cleland's part, farms were 10-20 acres; rent was 28-32 shillings an acre; In Lord Londonderry's part, farm were 15-25 acres; rent per acre 25-28 shillings; land of middling quality;120 males & 127 females in 1837 ; railway line here in 1863; "The Haw" auction of valuable farms with scutch mill 16 Sep 1876 V7 p 30, 31, 34 ,35, 37, 40, 42 OSM; TMUOP p232; GV; DR
Ballystockard House Comber 21: 43/72 farm; 4km NW of Comber
Ballystokes
Stokestown

Ballee
21: 52/46 a townland 4km NE of Downpatrick near Lough Money; 209 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; named after Galfrid de Stocks, abbot o of Down 1276; granted to Countess of Kildare in 1622; part of de Ros Estate from 1804; owned by Lord De Ros in 1836 ; population in 1841 was 112; in 1851, 58; in 1861, 42 & in 1982, 12 people; article 30 Jan 1869 V17 p 20, 22 OSM; DR; LM 1983 p21-22; DS 1998 p52

Ballystraw

Ballystrew

Down 21: 49/41 a townland 3km S of Downpatrick; 271 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Patrick Russell in 1640 the awarded to William Brett then bought by Lt. Robert Echlin for £440 then returned to the Russell family; owned Patrick Russell Esq. & Mr Russell Swords in 1836; there were 7 houses; all families employed in agriculture; 28 males & 23 females; 6 servants V17 p 52, 55, 57 OSM; O'L B p 140; KM 2002 p 64
Ballysugagh Saul a townland 3km NE of Downpatrick; click here to see its location on a townland map; site of an ancient abbey; held by Abbot of Saul in 1448; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to Edward Kyneston Esq.; Catholic school built 1825; Catholic church here; owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford & Francis Savage Esq. ; 1 smithy in 1836 LM 1985 p53V17 p 114, 115 OSM; GIC; O'L V1 p 240 & B p 209
Ballytagart
Aghaderg
. spelling of Ballintaggart in 1659 Census PNNI V6 p 23
Ballytallochoan
Ballyphilip 
 . alternate name for Ballyrusley townland c. 1620 V17 p 123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 45
Ballytintagh Park Hillsborough . a farm; residence of James Patterson in 1910 POD
Ballytrantur Ballyphilip . property of the See of Down , let to Mr. Trail and sublet to John Doran; lowest rent 9 shillings & 6 pence & highest 22 shillings; V7 p 8 OSM
Ballytrim Killyleagh .21: 49/52 a townland 4km W of Killyleagh; 226 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; robbery at school 1 Jan 1842; J. Lawther obtains land from Dufferin & Clandeboye 10 Feb 1849; presentation at school house to S.E. Stewart 26 May 1860; reopening of school 15 Dec 1883; meeting of cess payers 22 Dec 1883; email for a photo of Ballytrim Primary School students in 1934 MID p 118: DR; DR* 2111/1936
Ballytrim House Killyleagh 21: 50/52 estate 2km W of Killyleagh; fire at Ballytrim House 13 May 1865; death of William Pentland Ringland Esq. 6 Jan 1883; residence of S. B. Ringland in 1893 & 1900 DR; BWN ; LR 2009 p11
Ballytrustan
Ballytrustin
Ballytrustan 21: 60/49 a townland and a parish ; the townland is 2km SE of Portaferry; 222 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Thurstan's townland'; (a Norman name); held by William Dunbar & Richard Smith in 1615 whose tenant was Mr Savage; in 1659 there were 4 Scots/English & 1 Catholic families here;parish boundaries changed 12 Jan 1828; 2 flax mills and a corn windmill in 1836; consists of detached portions of lands in various areas in Ards Peninsula; supposed incendiarism 5 Oct 1867 NCT; V17 p 125 & V 7 p 15 OSM; SP ;DR; O'L V1 p 395 & B p 320, 328; PNNI V2 p 55; LR 2005 p19
Ballytrustin Ballee 21: 54/44 a townland 5km E of Downpatrick; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Thurstan's townland'; ancient church here which belonged to St. John Hospitalliers in 1300; owned by Earl of Ardglas in 1669 & leased to James Lesley Esq.; school here in 1836, owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford & John W. Maxwell in 1836 ; article on townland 2 Jan 1869 LM 1985 p53V17 p 20, 22 OSM: DR
Ballytue
Kilbroney
. alternate spelling ofr Ballintur townland in 1659 census PNNI V1 p 139
Ballytullycoper or Tinnenefegn; Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM
Ballyuggin Inishargy . alternate spelling for Balliggan townland in 1659 census PNNI V2 p 86
Ballyunegan Moira . alternate spelling for Balloonigan townland in 1717 PNNI V6 p 279
Ballyurey Greyabbey . alternate spelling for Ballewry townland FCD p 8
Ballyurnanellan
Ballyurnanillan
Greyabbey a townland of 73 acres; 2km W of Greyabbey town; means ' townland of the yew of the island'; granted by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie c. 1623 V17 p 122, 123 & V7 p 68 OSM; PNNI V2 p 205
Ballyvally Clonallan a townland SE of Mayobridge; 936 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the pass'; proprietor W.E. Reilly Esq. of Tamnaharry in 1836 also the proprietor 1810- 1891 was Narcissus Batt then his son, Robert & grandson Robert; farms were from 4-10 acres; rents from 25-30 shillings an acre V3 p 2OSM; & V1 p 63; PNNI V1 p 63; NR 30/6/2005 p67
Ballyvally Bridge Clonallan 29: 17/24 over Moygannon River, 5km N of Rostrevor
Ballyvally Mountain Clonallan 29: 17/25 part of The Mournes 5km SW of Hilltown
Ballyvally Seapatrick the town of Banbridge is in this townland ; 1060 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'townland of the routeway'; owned by William Baker in 1661, then Solomon Whyte Esq. in 1728 then proprietor Marquis of Downshire with agent W. Reilly in 1836; several mills in 1836 V12 p 123, 126 , 134 OSM; old b/w map G6; SWE-map; PNNI V6 p 52, 310
Ballyvally House Seapatrick residence of Thomas Crawford J.P, in 1872 OFB p16
Ballyvange Down a townland just S of Downpatrick; click here to see its location on a townland map; 262 acres;owned by Maraduke Whitechurch in 1633; Presbyterian Meeting House built 1660; owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford in 1836;there were 13 houses; 7 families employed in agriculture & 3 in trade; 33 males & 42 females; 3 professionals & 11 servants; lead mine 8 Apr 1837; Dr. O'Doran lived here until his death in 1760; Rev. Patrick McMullan lived at "Bishop's Brae' overlooking Downpatrick just before his death in 1824; small lead mine here c. 1880 V17 p 55 OSM: DR; LCB p 22; PNNI V6 p 310; O'L B p 547 ; LM 1988 p23
Ballyvarley Aghaderg 20: 9/45 a townland 4km W of Banbridge; 751 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' O'Marley's townland'; held by Sir Art Magennis in 1609 then passed to Patrick Deery in 1639 V12 p 1 OSM; PNNI V6 p 26
Ballyvarley House Aghaderg . residence of Moses Woods, linen manufacturer in 1824 POD
Ballyvarnet Bangor  . a townland of 1152 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means townland of the gap'; in 1659 there were 11 English/Scots & 12 Catholic families here; owned by Hugh Hamilton c. 1720; flax mill with breast wheel of 13 feet by 1 foot here in 1836; the railway line was being built in 1863
V7 p 22 OSM; SP; LM 1985 p7; PNNI V2 p 160 ;GV
Ballyvaster Donaghadee  . alternate spelling for Ballyvester townland in 1650 V17 p 123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 187

Ballyvastin

Ballyvaston

Bright ; Rathmullan 21: 50/37 a townland 4km NW of Killough; 355 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; series of stone built, corbelled pig houses or 'crews' in this townland; proprietor General Cockburn in 1836 & rep. Rev. George Cockburne in 1863; lifeboat from Tyrella rescued people from "Donna Marie' driven ashore at Ballyvaston 5 Dec 1874; man stabbed 6 Jan 1877 V17 p 35 OSM; LM 1995 p8; GV; DR; O'L B p 141
Ballyveagh Kilkeel 29: 33/20 farm, on Fork River 4km W of Annalong

Ballyveagh Beg & Beg More Ballyveagh More & More Upper
Ballyvea

Kilkeel four townlands of 608 & 353 acres; 857 & 156 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' McVeigh's townland'; part of the Bagenal Estate in 1663; ancient white cairn here; site of an ancient Catholic church; in 1659 there were 6 English/ Scots & 13 Irish families living here, it was then owned by Arthur Montgomery Esq.; owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; school here O'L V1 p 25; V3 p 51 OSM; SP; PNNI V3 p 28, 29; MO 5/8/2009 p6
Ballyverdgan Kilclief . name of a ruined chapel in 1622 in Ballywooden townland O'L V1 p 203
Ballyverebay Ballyculter or Ballynairy; Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; possibly Ballynarry V17 p 123 OSM
Ballyvernet
Ballyvernon
Bangor
see under Ballyvarnet  ; alternate spelling in 1681 & 1836
V17 p 124 OSM; PNNI V2 p 161
Ballyvester Donaghadee 15:58/78  a townland 2km SW of Donaghadee; 598 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Wester's townland'; contains a spring impregnated with iron; manor court held every 9 weeks; in 1659 there were 13 Scots/ English & 5 Catholic families here; the Presbyterian minister, Rev John McAuley lived here in 1843; National School here in 1863; major land owners in 1863 were Margaret Catherwood, James Knox , Rev. Edward Glabber & John & Alexander McMinn; melancholy death from hydrophobia 26 Jun 1880 V17 p123, 124 & V7 p 45 ,84 OSM; POD; DR; SP; old b/w map W9; GV; PNNI V2 p 187
Balyvester House Donaghadee . house & farm of 16 acres; residence of John Catherwood c. 1796; held in fee by Margaret Catherwood in 1863 MOA p58; GV
Ballyvickegowan Dromore . alternate name for Magherabeg townland in 1609 PNNI V6 p 138
Ballyvickenishe Ardquin . alternate name for Ballyminnish townland in 1628 PNNI V2 p 31

Ballyvicknacally Ballyvicknakelly

Dromore a townland E of Dromore town;735 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the son of the hag'; church land until 1868; flax mill & school here in 1836; site of ancient Dromore Mound- an Anglo-Norman motte & bailey V12 p 72, 73, 78 OSM:HMNI p98; PNNI V6 p 116; IPP p 110
Ballyvigin Inishargy . alternate spelling for Balliggan townland in Subsidy Roll of 1662 PNNI V2 p 86
Ballyviggis Bright 21: 52/39 a townland 3km NW of Killough; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Figgis' townland'; originally owned by Inch Abbey; corn mill there in 1305 & 1836; proprietor Major Beauclerk in 1836 V17 p 33 OSM; O'L V1 p 152, 325 & B p 22, 179; LR 2005 p 25
Ballyvingham
Ballyvorgan
Moira . alternate names for Balloonigan townland on Rent Rolls of 1692
PNNI V6 p 279
Ballyveaghmore Kilkeel 29: 34/19 farms, 4km W of Annalong
Ballyvogan Newtownards . alternate spelling for Ballyrogan townland in 1659 census PNNI V2 p 224
Ballyvranagan Ballytrsutan . alternate spelling for Ballybranigan townland PNNI V2 p 56
Ballywaddes Ardquin alternate spelling for Ballywaddin townland .

Ballywaddan
Ballywaddin
Ballywooden

Ardquin a townland 4km N of Portaferry; 158 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Wodan's townland'; originally owned by Bishops of Down; in 1659 there were 2 Scots/English & 1 Catholic families here;proprietor Mr Echlin & Major Matthews in 1836 ; 66 acres sublet to 5 lessees at 35 shillings an acre in 1836; flax spinning, corn mill, V17 p 125, 126, 127 & V7 p 4 OSM; O'L V1 p 403; PNNI V2 p 33

Ballywallan

Ballywallon

Ardquin 21: 59/55 a townland on Strangford Lough; 221 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Baldwin's townland'; in 1659 there were 6 English/Scots & 10 Catholic families here; Bishop-Mill owned by Charles Echlin Esq for sale 18 May 1793; the proprietor in 1836 was Major Matthews & Mr Echlin; the farmhouses were one-storey, 3 roomed & thatched ; the women spun flax; stoney clay soil; one water mill for corn & oatmeal; flax mill here ; farms were 3 -25 acres; rents from £1.16.0 - £2 an acre; crops were potatoes, wheat, barley, grass & oats; farm servants got £4-6 a year; female servants got £1.16.0- £2 a year V17 p 126 OSM; SP; NS; PNNI V2 p 34
Ballywallon Island Ardkeen 21: 59/56 in Strangford Lough, just offshore near Ardkeen townland; 30 acres
Ballywalsh Saul . in Walshestown townland; site of an ancient Catholic chapel called Knockagar O'L V1 p 220; Inv 2006 p50
Ballywalter Ballee a townland 4km W of Kilclief village; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Lord Bangor in 1836; article 30 Jan 1869 V17 p 20, 22 OSM; DR
Ballywalter Ballywalter 21: 63/69 town & parish on ocean side of Ards Peninsula;click here for a photo and more information ; click here to see its location on a townland map ; paid tithes to Black Abbey in 1615; in 1659 there were 48 Scots/English & 20 Catholic families in the village .
Ballywalter Park Ballywalter 21;62/68 1km W of Ballywalter town; the Mulholland Estate; built by Andrew Mulholland, mayor of Belfast in 1846; coming of age of Andrew Mulholland 4 Oct 1873; school fete on Mulholland Estate 29 Aug 1874; marriage of Miss Louisa Mulholland- list of quests 16 Jul 1881 (DR); escape of a stag 6 Nov 1875 ; residence of Henry L. & JohnMulholland in 1886; fire at Ballywalter House 14 May 1892; entertainment 29 Apr 1893; grand concert 13 Jan 1894; concert & theatricals 19 Jan 1895 (NC) ; called Springvale when in possession of Mathews family, the previous owners; residence of Right Hon. Lord Dunleath in 1910
PE; DR; NC; O'L v1 p 430;POD; PNNI V2 p 72; POD
Ballywalton House Newtownards residence of William Campbell Esq. in 1846
POD
Ballyward Ardkeen a townland S of Ardkeen village; 314 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Ward's townland' after an Anglo- Norman family; in 1659 there were 9 Scots/English & 1 Catholic families here
PNNI V2 p 13 ; SP
Ballyward Ballytrustan . alternate spelling for Ballywierd townland in 1659 census PNNI V2 p 59
Ballyward Drumgooland 29: 27/38 a village & townland , 6km W of Castlewellan; 623 acres; means ' townland of the McAwards'; click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1659 Census there were 10 Catholic families here only; by 1841 Census there were 52 families with 141 males & 143 females with 13 % on Famine relief; flax mill; corn mill near Church of Ireland here ; school established 1832: Catholic Parochial House; homicide, Arthur Doyle of Ballyward 3 Oct 1868 LR 2005 p8; V17 p124, 125 & V 3 p 22, 24, 25 OSM; DCPH p 47,68,131; DR; GIC
Ballyward House Ballyward Lodge Drumgooland 29: 26/38 farm estate, 1km W of Ballyward village on the northern shores of Ballyward Lake; residence of Francis Charles Beers Esq. J.P. in 1836; built in 1811 by his father; described as a good 2-storey house, pleasantly sitauted and surrounded by belts of woodland tastefully laid out; residence of late William Beers Esq. in 1842; residence of Capt. Leslie in 1910
V3 p 22 OSM ; BU 30/8/1842; POD
Ballyward Lough Drumgooland 29: 27/38 small lake ;just SW of Ballyward village
Ballyware Clonduff residence of Rev Bears in 1836 V3 p 4 OSM
Ballywarren (West) Down a townland 4km SE of Downpatrick; 347 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by the Southwell Estate in 1752; income from these lands paid to Widow’s Fund, owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford in 1836; there were 34 houses; 20 families employed in agriculture & 12 in trade; 78 males & 100 females; 11 manufacturers & 5 servants; Sunday school lecture 13 Dec 1851; death of John Rowan Esq. 17 Jul 1886 LM 1991 p25; V17 p 48, 52, 56 OSM : DR
Ballywarren House Down 21: 50/42 farm, 2km SE of Downpatrick; sold to John Rowan in 1820 by Aynsworth Pilson; residence of Thomas Rowan 9 Nov 1861
LM 1985 p9; DR. 
Ballywater Ardquin the authority there in 1836 was Samuel Donaldson V17 p 127 OSM
Ballywatticock Newtownards 21: 52/73 a townland 3km SE of Newtownards; 524 acres ; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Watticock's townland';a grant by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie in 1623; in 1659 there were 5 English/Scots & 5 Catholic families here; the proprietor in 1836 was Lord Londonderry V17 p 123 & V7 p 111, 113 OSM;SP; PNNI V2 p 225
Ballyweely Clonduff 29: 23/32 a townland 3km NE of Hilltown near Kilcoo road; 246 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means " townland of the bare, round hill"; held by Sir Arthur Magennis of Rathfriland in 1609 then Hieronum Alexander of Dublin in 1634 then Hill family in 1640 ; held by Marquis of Downshire in 1863
PNNI V3 p 72 , 82; DDPP p105; GV ; TC p16
Ballyweird Ballytrustan 21: 61/50 alternate spelling for Ballywierd townland
.
Ballywhilert Ballyphilip alternate spelling for Ballywhollart townland in 1830 PNNI V2 p 129
Ballywhiskin Donaghadee a townland 3km SE of Millisle town, on the coast ; 165 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'Whiskin's townland' ; owned by James Allen in 1863 V17 p 124 OSM; PNNI V2 p 188; GV
Ballywhite
Ballywhyte
Ardquin 21: 58/53 a townland 3km NW of Portaferry; 249 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' White's townland'; in 1659 there were 0 Scots/English & 11 Catholic families here;proprietor Mr Echlin of "Ballywhite House" in 1836 V17 p 125, 126 OSM; PNNI V2 p 34
Ballywhite Bay Ardquin 21; 57/52 in Strangford Lough, 2km NW of Portaferry  .
Ballywhite House Ardquin .
notice of sale with lands around 7 Oct 1911
JUAHS 2012 p30
Ballywhite House Down .
in Downpatrick; residence of Mr J.A.W. Warnock- death notice 26 Feb 1881 & John Warnock Esq. in 1886
DR; PNNI V2 p 35; LM 1997 p76
Ballywhollart
Ballywhillard
Witter  .
a townland 2km S of Cloghy village; 147 acres ; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'Collyer's townland' ; in 1659 there were 0 English/ Scots & 14 Catholic families here;
PNNI V2 p 129; SP; V17 p 125 OSM
Ballywierd Ballytrustan 21: 61/50 a townland 2km SE of Portaferry; 203 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map;means ' Burred's tonwland'; in 1659 there were 0 Scots/English & 13 Catholic families here; lowest rent in 1836 was 30 shillings & the highest 35 shillings; proprietor then was Mr. Nugent
V7 p 7 OSM; SP; PNNI V2 p 59
Ballywillen Donaghadee . alternate name for Millisle in 1605 PNNI V2 p 194
Ballywilliam Comber . a townland 2km SSW of Comber; 219 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; a flax mill in 1837;school established 1834; proprietor in 1837 was Marquis of Londonderry whose agent was Mr. Andrews of Comber; 24 landholders in 1837; farms from 4-30 acres, one of 50 acres; rent 28 shillings; land of middling quality; 56 males & 70 females in 1837;Sunday school society 10 Apr 1841 (DR); owned by Nicholas Delacherois in 1863; right of way dispute 21 Apr 1883 (NC) V7 p 31, 34, 35, 37, 39, 42 OSM; DR; GV; NC
Ballywilliam House Comber 21: 44/68 farm; 2km SW of Comber  .
Ballywilliam Donaghadee a townland 2km NW of Donaghadee town; 312 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' McWilliam's townland'; ancient abbey here ; land & tithes granted to Hugh Montgomerie in 1626 by King Charles 1 ; in 1659 there were 3 Scots/ English & 6 Catholic families here ;the proprietor was Patrick Moore Esq.; remains of circular horse-engine house; a school here in 1837 UF p44; V17 p 12 , 133 & V p49 OSM; SP; PNNI V2 p 188;GV
Ballywilliam Cottage Donaghadee . residence of Lady Caroline & Lady Charlotte Jocelyn & Lady Sophia Arbuckle in 1824 & William T. Poe Esq. in 1852
POD
Ballywilliam House Donaghadee 15:58/81 house & farm of 138 acres; 2km NW of Donaghadee; residence of James Arbuckle in 1796; held in fee by Nicholas Delacherois in 1863
MOA p75; GV
Ballywillin Killyleagh a townland 4km W of Killyleagh town; 724 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' town of the mill'; Robert Johnston Esq. agent for Rademon Estate 30 May 1846; Fatal affray, Ribbonmen 4 Jul 1857; suicide 2 Jan 1886; also known as Ballywoollen
HCPCI p288; DR; TCC p33
Ballywillin House Killyleagh 21: 48/54 farm; 4km WNW of Killyleagh; residence of William Davidson in 1886
POD
Ballywillin Lough Killyleagh 21: 48/53 large lake ;4km W of Killyleagh  .
Ballywillwill Kilmegan a townland 4km NNE of Castlewellan town; 930 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; proprietor Rev G.H. M Johnson Esq.in 1836,1861 & 1863; early threshing mill on demesne: near Castlewellan, incendiarism 23 Aug 1851 (DR); Ribbonmen charged with walking on St. Patrick's Day 29 Mar 1834 (NH) V3 p 55 OSM: UF p42,43; DR; NH; old b/w map J12; GV; HCDTD p204
Ballywillwill Cottage Kilmegan . house & 6 acres; leased by Rev. William Young in 1863 from Rev. George McDowell Johnston
GV
Ballywillwill House Kilmegan 20: 35/41 house & estate of 490 aces; 4km NE of Castlewellan;in Ballywillwill demesne; built c. 1815 by Rev. George Henry McDowell Johnson in 1828 & 1836; described as an extensive 2 storey house built of stone with a handsome portico in front; built 1815; it had woodland of larch & fir; held in fee by Rev. George McDowell Johnston in 1863; residence of Joseph Robinson in 1910
BN; V3 p 55 OSM ;GV; POD
Ballywilly Clonduff . alternate apelling for Ballyweely townland in 1810 PNNI V3 p 82
Ballywind Ballyphilip . proprietor was Andrew Nugent in 1836 with all rents above 22 shillings .
Ballywitticock Newtownards 21: 52/73 alternate spelling for Ballywatticock townland in 1830 PNNI V2 p 225
Ballywollen Ardquin . alternate spelling for Ballywallon townaldn in 1830 PNNI V2 p 34
Ballywollen Ballywoolen Ballywollin Killyleagh alternate spellings for Ballywillin townland .

Ballywooden

Big & Little

Kilclief & detached
part of Saul
21: 58/44 a townland 5km S of Strangford town about 1km apart ; click here to see their location on a townland map; site of an ancient Catholic chapel; held by Walter de la Hay in 1305; held by Sir Robert Ward in 1670; Catholic chapel & school; land owned by Lord Bangor in 1836 ; malicious burning 21 May 1859 V17 p 114 OSM; DR; GIC; O'L V1 p 203 , 307 & B p 140, 179
Ballywooden Ardquin alternate name for Ballywaddan townalnd in 1830 .

Ballywooley House
Ballywillie House

Bangor 15:48/81 house & farm of 86 acres in Ballykillaire townland; just E of Crawfordsburn; residence of James Jackson in 1738 & Dr. Jackson in 1831 & Hugh Jackson Esq in 1847; leased by Robert J. Bell in 1863 from Lord Dufferin & Claneboye BM; PRONI T808/8245; JRWC p79; Burke's Landed Gentry Vol2 p1934 (1847); GV
Ballyworfy Hillsborough 20: 28/58 a townland 3km SE of Hillsborough;583 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; proprietor Lord Downshire; agent Mr Reilly; farms were from 5-33 acres; rents on old leases 16 shillings , new leases 30 shillings an acre V12 p 85, 106 OSM
Ballywry Newtownards 21: 53/71 4km SE of Newtownards on Strangford Lough

by Ros Davies