Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Ballyhay, Bangor
Ros Davies'
Co. Down, Northern Ireland Family History Research Site
© Rosalind Davies 2001
Permission granted to reprint research for non-profit use only
VBallynahinch

Place names of Co. Down: Ballya......Ballyg.....

Ballya.... Ballyb.... Ballyc.... Ballyd... Ballye... Ballyf... Ballyg...

 

Place Name Parish Information
Ballyabrian Greyabbey .
possibly Ballybrian
V7 p18 OSM
Ballyachien Clonduff . alternate name for Ballyaughian townland in 1829
PNNI V3 p 76
Ballyackwart Ballywalter . alternate name for Ballyatwood townland in 1659 census
PNNI V2 p 68
Ballyadam
Ballyadams
Castleboy 4km NE of Portaferry; 115 acres; detached from the rest of this parish; click here to see its location on a townland map; means' Adam's townland'; originally belonged to St. John Hospitalliers in 1300; in 1659 there were 3 English/ Scots & 0 Catholic families here
O'L V1 p 416 ; PNNI V2 p 78; V17 p125 OSM; SP
Ballyaden Magheralin .
alternate name for Edenballycoggill in 1609
PNNI V6 p 238
Ballyadoo Drumgath .
alternate spelling for Ballydoo townland
PE
Ballyagherty Saintfield  .
376 acres; just NE of Saintfield town; click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1659 there were 8 English/ Scots & 4 Catholic families here; a windmill was built in 1779 by Samuel McBurney; in 1837 there were 27 houses; 66 males & 77 females; best quality land; farms from 20-40 acres; rent from 20-30 shillings an acre; the proprietors then were half to Mr. Price & half to Mr Barnett, tanner, of Belfast ; the people complained in 1837 that their county cess was disproportionate as they were a smaller townland
SP: SHM '94 p55 & '86 p 32 & '98 p 2,3 ; V7 p117, 118 OSM 
Ballyagherty Bridge Saintfield 21: 41/60 1km E of Saintfield ;over a stream
Ballyaghlis
Ballyaghlisk
Ballyaughlis
Drumbeg 20: 30/66 302 acres; 2km SSE of Drumbeg village;click here to see its location on a townland map ; in 1659 there were 7 English /Scots & 2 Catholic families here
SP: SHM '94 p56

Ballyagholly
Ballyagholy

Kilbroney 29: 17/23 682 acres; on Moygannon River, 5km N of Rostrevor on the slopes of The Mournes; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Agholy's townland'; the proprietor was Narcissus Batt Esq. in 1836 V3 p32 OSM; PNNI V1 p 140
Ballyaghyan
Ballyaheen
Clonduff . alternate spellings for Ballyaughian townland in 1659 census & in 1830 PNNI V3 p 76

Ballyalgin
Ballyalgan

Killyleagh a townland 5km NW of Killyleagh village; click here to see its location on a townland map; 664 acres MID p103 ; TCC p 33

Ballyalicark Ballyalicock
Ballyallicock

Newtownards 15:52/74  a townland 3km E of Newtownards;279 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Allicock's townland'; a grant by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie in 1626; the owner in 1836 was Lord Londonderry & in 1863 Marquis of Londonderry V17 p123 & V7 p111 OSM; PNNI V2 p 217; GV
Ballyallnork Kilmood  
part of the old Drumhirk estate 
V17 p123 OSM
Ballyalloly Comber a townland 2km SW of Comber; 419 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; a lake;the proprietor in 1837 was D. Ker whose agent was Mr Black & Mr Stephenson; 21 landholders in 1837; farms from 1-20 acres & one of 69 acres; rent from 20-35 shillings an acre;old leases 10 shillings & 6 pence; 56 males & 51 females in 1837
V7 p32, 37 ,39, 42, 43 OSM 
Ballyalloly House Comber 21; 42/68 house & farm estate of 173 acres; 3km WSW of Comber; residence of large land owner in 1837; leased by James Warnock in 1863 from David S. Ker
V7 p35 OSM ;GV
Ballyalloly Lough Comber 21: 43/68 small lake in estate grounds , 3km SW of Comber
V7 p 43 OSM 
Ballyaloghie Comber ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; most probably Ballyalloly V17 p123 OSM
Ballyaltikilligan Comber 21: 43/70 a townland 2km W of Comber; 338 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; a flax mill in 1837; the proprietor then was Marquis of Londonderry whose agent was Mr Andrews of Comber; good land; 31 landholders; farms 1-15 acres;84 males & 81 females in 1837 ;"The Haw' auction of valuable farms & scutch mill 16 Sep 1876; email me for a photo of the townland V7 p 31, 35 ,37 ,38, 42 OSM: DR
Ballyalton Ballee 21: 52/45 a townland 3km E of Downpatrick; click here to see its location on a townland map; Druidical stone circle on the hill, owned by Lord Bangor in 1836 ; article on this townland 12 Dec 1868; I have indexed the full information from the Griffiths Valuations of 1863, dwellings 1-5 into Surnames Index V17 p19, 20, 21 OSM; DR; GV
Ballyalton Newtownards & Comber . a townland of 150 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the streamlet; owned by Sir Hugh Montgomery in 1610 & part of Comber; there was a flax mill in 1836; proprietor in 1837 was the Marquis of Londonderry whose agent was Mr Andrews of Comber;bad land quality; farms from 10-40 acres; rent 25-30 shillings an acre in 1837; 37 males & 33 females in 1837;fatal accident at Glebe quarry 11 Oct 1884
Montgomery Manuscripts p146); V7 p37, 39 ,42 , 110 OSM; NC
Ballyalton House Newtownards 21: 46/73 house & farm estate of 10 acres; 3km SW of Newtownards; leased by Rev. Arthur F.Farrell in 1863 from Francis McKeown
GV. 
Ballyanny Dromore . spelling for Balleny townland in 1659 Census
PNNI V6 p 110
Ballyanwy Donaghadee . ancient townland name; in 1659 there were 4 English/ Scots & 1 Catholic families
SP
Ballyardel
Ballyardle
Kilkeel 29: 28/14 a townland 2km W of Kilkeel; 348 acres; click here to see its location on a map; means ' Ardal's townland';part of the Bagenal Estate in 1540 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s; in 1659 there were 6 Irish people living here & it was owned by Richard Houston Esq.
CM; SP ; PNNI V3 p 22; MO 5/8/ 2009 p6
Ballyarret Ballyculter 21: 59/43 a townland 6km S of Strangford town; a clachan (house cluster) in Tullyfoyle townland; Miss Blaney’s shop here in 1880s; Robert Brannigan's farm in 1850s LR 2004 p83; Inv 1997 p 48

Ballyattwood Ballyatwood

Ballywalter 21: 61/69 a townland 2km W of Ballywalter; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Aquart's townland'; in 1659 there were 5 English/ Scots & 2 Catholic families V7 p16 & V17 p125 OSM ; SP; PNNI V2 p 68

Ballyatwood Cottage

Ballywalter . a house ; leased by Frances Ashton in 1863 from William Taylor GV

Ballyatwood House

Ballywalter . house & farm of 88 acres; built in 1672 by Hugh Hamill ; it's within the walls of present Ballywalter Park Estate; described in 1836 as small & old fashioned; leased by Joseph Browne in 1863 from John Stewart SBTS p10; GV

Ballyaugherty

Saintfield . alternate spelling for Ballyagherty townland .
Ballyaughian Clonduff 29: 23/28

a townland 2km SE of Hilltown; 2218 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means " the little pass" or 'O'Haughians townland'; tithes in 1585 went to a Welshman Race ap Hughe; 16th century ecclesiastical remains here possibly called Commogue; a general old graveyard here; owned by Magennis family then Bishops of Dromore in 1611 then the tenants claimed tenant rights & the King granted them leases forever; owned by Mary Mathews in 1641 then passed to her agent William Waring who sold 4 townlands (Ballyaughian, Ballymaghery, Ballynanny & Leitrim) to Narcissus Barr Esq. for £33,000 who evicted tenants who couldn't pay their rents ; proprietor was Narcissus Batt Esq in 1834; 2 flax mills on River Bann owned by Lindsay family in 1836; owned by Robert Batt in 1863; sold to the tenant farmers in 1912

V3 p4, 5 OSM; GIC; TC p9,26 ; AR p 3; DDPP p105; PNNI V3 p 69, 76, 82, 126; GV
Ballybainemaghere
Killinchy 
alternate name for Barnamaghery townland V17 p123 OSM
Ballybannon Kilmegan 29: 36/36 a townland 2km NE of Castlewellan, on Clough road; 577 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Marquis of Downshire in 1863
GV
Ballybannon River Kilmegan 29: 36/36 an extension of the Leitrim, Clarkhill rivers which runs into Dundrum Inner Harbour
Ballybarliecreen Aghaderg .
spelling for Ballyvarley townland on Subsidy Roll of 1663
PNNI V6 p 26
Ballybarnes
Ballybairnes
Newtownards
15:46/76 
a townland 2km NW of Newtownards; 255 acres ; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the gap'; in 1659 there was 1 English/Scots & 1 Catholic family here
PNNI V2 p 219;SP
Ballybeagh Kilkeel  .
see under Ballyveagh. 
caora.com
Ballybeen Comber 21: 42/67 a townland 4km SW of Comber; 421 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; proprietor in 1837 was Mr Birch; good land; farms from 6-20 acres; rents from 20-30 shillings an acre; 59 males & 66 females in 1837
V7 p35, 37 ,38 , 40, 42 OSM 
Ballybeen House Comber 21: 42/68 house & farm estate of 207 acres; 4km SW of Comber; residence of Rev James Birch in 1824 & large land owner Mr Birch in 1837; held in fee by James Birch in 1863
POD; V7 p35 OSM; GV  
Ballybeen Dundonald
15:41/71 
a townland just SW of Dundonald village; 442 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' place of the peaks'; proprietor in 1653 was Ninian Tate; in 1659 there were 5 English/Scots & 2 Irish families; proprietor in 1837 was Mr Gordon whose agent was S. Duff of Kilmood; good land; farms were 10-70 acres, one of 107 acres; rent £2.2.0 an acre in 1837; Dundonald Railway Station here in 1863
V7 p40, 65 OSM ; TMUOPS p74b 75, 231;GV
Ballybeen House Dundonald
.
house & farm of 136 acres; in Ballybeen townland just E of Dundonald village; leased by Alexander Robb in 1863 from Robert Gordon ; b/w photo available; now a Housing Executive Office whilst the grounds are Boys High School
GV; TMUOPS p 142;OS map 1902 5.10
Ballybeg Dunsford 21: 55/41 a townland 3km N of Ardglass; click here to see its location on a townland map ; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to Lord Bishop of Meath & sub let to James Lesley Esq. ; owned by Southwell Estate in 1752 & leased to Edward Hall Esq. heirs V17 p 72 OSM; LM 1985 p53 ; LM 1991 p25
Ballybeghys Bright . ancient spelling for Ballyviggis townland; c. 1305 O'L V1 p 152 & B p 179
Ballyblack Ballyphilip 21: 61/51 a townland 2km E of Portaferry; 79 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means 'Black's or Blake's townland'; in 1659 there were 1 English/ Scots & 3 Catholic families here;proprietor Mr Maxwell of Portaferry & Mr. Nugent in 1836; all rent above 22 shillings V7 p 8 & 17 p123, 126 OSM; SP;PNNI V2 p 43
Ballyblack Co. Down estate papers 1886-1906 in PRONI OFD p192
Ballyblack Grey Abbey-
divided
21: 55/73 a townland 4km NW of Grey Abbey; 640 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Black's townland'; contains an area of bog 10 feet deep with low isolated hills of arable land within it, a lower level of fir & oak trees; granted by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie c. 1623; schools established 1795 & 1833
V7 p67,68, 70 OSM; PNNI V2 p 200
Ballyblack Little Greyabbey a townland just S of Ballyblack; 279 acres; with an area of bog; click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1659 there were 5 English/ Scots & 2 Catholic families
V7 p 67 OSM ; SP
Ballyblack Newtownards- divided . a townland 4km SE of Newtownards; 450 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1659 there were 6 English/Scots & 7 Catholic families here; there was an old disused Methodist meeting house there in 1836; a school was attached which was erected in 1816; the proprietor in 1836 was Lord Londonderry; Presbyterian church here; National School here in 1863; owned by Marquis of Londonderry in 1863; Orange demonstration 9 May 1885; Conservative Assoc 3 Apr 1886 V7 p104, 112 ,113 OSM;SP; GIC; NC;GV

Ballyblagh Ballyblaugh Ballyblough
Ballyblegg
Balybleagh

Donaghmore  . a townland 9km NNE of Newry; 172 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' abounding with flowers; 3 acres of bog & 3 acres of marsh; originally belonged to Magennis clan; Catholic church here V3 p9 OSM; GIC; PNNI V1 p 92
Ballyblagh Shankill  .
a townland just over the border in Co. Armagh;click here to see its location on a townland map
.
Ballyboard Ballyphilip . proprietor in 1836 was Mr. Nugent; lowest rent was 65 shillings & highest £3.3.0; part of this townland is Town Parks; V7 p 7 OSM
Ballyboden Kilclief . alternate name for Ballywoodan townland held by Walter de la Hay in 1305 O'L V1 p 203 & B p 179
Ballybogge Dunsford  . ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; could possibly be Ballybeg V17 p123 OSM

Ballyboghilbo
Ballyboghillbow

Grey Abbey  . a townland of 339 acres; 2 km east of Grey Abbey village;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the cowherd'; the highest point in the parish 190 feet above sea level; has an area of bog V17 p123 & V7 p 67 OSM; PNNI V2 p 201
Ballybogland Magheralin . alternate name for Ballynadrone townland in 1833 PNNI V6 p 227
Ballyboley Greyabbey 21: 57/70 a townland 3km N of Grey Abbey; 783 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map;means 'townland of the summer pasturage'; in 1659 there were 4 English/ Scots & 4 Catholic families; an area of bog ; school established in 1834; Ballyboley Races 6 Apr 1872 (NI); ;Irish Land Act meeting 24 Mar 1894; Land Bill meeting 4 Jul 1896 (NC) V17 p123 & V7 p 67, 69, 70 OSM; SP; GV;DR; NC; PNNI V2 p 201
Ballyboley House Greyabbey . house & 81 acres; also called Mourne View;leased by Mortimer Thompson in 1863 from Lord Dufferin & Claneboye; death of Mortimer Thompson Esq. at Ballyboley House, 17 May 1884 ; horse races at Mortimer Thompson's 28 Jan 1888 GV; DR; NI
Ballyboored Ballyphilip . alternate name for Tullyboard town land in Subsidy Roll of 1663 PNNI V2 p 50

Ballybot

Ballyboght

Newry  . an area near bridge across Newry river Mill & King Sts; market & gaol here ; school established 1831 the district of Ballybot was settled by people from the neighbouring countryside as the town grew because there was little or no room in the old town (Canavan 1989, 79). Initially, the people who established themselves in Ballybot were poor people who had come to Newry seeking employment as labourers, dockers and servants and this gave rise to the name An Baile Bocht 'the poor townland' ". V3 p70, 72, 74, 78, 87 OSM; PNNI V6 p 39
Ballybrain Grey Abbey  . also called Ballybrian V17 p123 OSM

Ballybrannagh
Lower & Upper

Ballee 21: 55/51 a townland 3km N of Ardglass; click here to see its location on a townland map; an ancient 'bohog' or Mass station here; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to Lord Bishop of Meath & sublet to James Lesley Esq. ; sold to Hugh Hamilton in 1710 who built a manor house here ; owned by Southwell Estate in 1752 & leased to Alexander Hamilton Esq; sold to General Maxwell Browne in 1768; owned by J.W. Maxwell in 1836; there were 10 families here needing famine relief Aug 1847; incendiarism, James Gracey 22 Feb 1851; waylaying incident 4 Dec 1852 ;article on townland 12 Dec 1868 LM 1985 p7, 53; LM 1991 p25; V17 p 20, 21, 22, 47 OSM; O'L V1 p 199, 307 & B p 140; DR; FCD s2 p 25

Ballybranigan Ballybrannagan Ballybrannigan

Ballytrustan 21; 61/54 a townland 3km NNE of Portaferry; 185 acres; its ancient name was Ballyvranegan; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' O'Branagan's townland'; in 1659 there were 2 Scots/English & 6 Catholic families here; proprietor Mr. Nugent in 1836; let in perpetuity to Col. Forde; rent of 16 shillings & 8 pence V7 p 8 & V17 p125, 126 OSM; SP; PNNI V2 p 56

Ballybreda Ballybredagh

Killinchy  . a townland 3km S of Killinchy town; 183 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map V7 p86 OSM
Ballybreely Comber  . see Ballycreely
Ballybrean
Ballybrene
Greyabbey . alternate spellings for Ballybrian townland in 1662 & 1810 PNNI V2 p 202

Ballybreen Ballybrene

Saul  . in Ballintogher townland;also called Brena; spot where St. Patrick landed c. 432; name of an ancient chapel V7 p67 OSM; O'L V1 p 224; Inv 2003 p41
Ballybrennan Ballee article 30 Jan 1869 DR

Ballybrian

Grey Abbey a townland 3km S of Greyabbey town on Strangford Lough ; 543 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Brians' townland'; 5 acres of marshy pool; in 1659 there were 6 English/ Scots & 3 Catholic families; V17 p123 OSM; SP; PNNI V2 p 202
Ballybrian House Grey Abbey 21: 58/67 farm; just S of Rosemount Estate & Grey Abbey
Ballybrick Drumballyroney 20: 21/40 &
29: 19/39
a townland near the river Bann , 2km N of Ballyroney;1397 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' McGilbrick's townland; belonged to Sir Art Mageniis in 1609; Knock Iveagh 785 ft; ancient fort;Catholics riot against local rector 1 Jul 1845; school built 1833; proprietors were J. Byrch Esq., Sharman Crawford Esq. & Mr McCartney Esq. In 1836 ; farms let to Mr Adams & Mr Henry; rents were 10- 40 shillings an acre in 1836 V3 p 14, 16, 17, 18 OSM; PNNI V6 p 156; NCT *
Ballybrickland Aghaderg . ancient spelling in 1609 for Brickland townland
PNNI V6 p 27
Ballybrogatt Donaghcloney . spelling for Ballynabragget townland in 1659 Census
PNNI V6 p 87
Ballybryan Grey Abbey see Ballybrian

Ballybunden/

Kilmood

Kilmood a townland of 921 acres: NW of Killinchy; click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1831 there were 48 houses; 33 families employed in agriculture & 7 in trade; 120 males & 148 females; 2 professional men; 24 servants; the proprietor then was Mr Gordon of Florida whose agent was Mr. S. Duff, of Ballybunden; good land; farms were from 4 to 50 acres; rent from 28 to 30 shillings a quarter but old leases were 18 shillings; there was one corn mil, and one flax mill; flax engine accident 25 Dec 1842; large otter seen killing ducks 19 Feb 1924; Church of Ireland here V7 p 94, 95 ,96 OSM: DR; DR*; GIPR: GIC
Ballybundan Cottage Killinchy . house & farm of 35 acres; 2km NE of Killinchy town; leased by Jams Patterson in 1863 from Robrt Gordon old b/w map S10; GV
Ballybundon House
Kilmood
.
a farm; residence of Hugh Gabbey in 1910
POD
Ballyburckan Saintfield . ancient townland name; in 1659 there were 2 English/Scots & 4 Catholic families here SP: SHM '94 p55
Ballybuttle
Ballybutler
Donaghadee 15:58/75  a townland 2km SW of Millisle village; 423 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Butler's townland'; contains a small pond 64 feet above sea level & an area of bog which slopes west to east; in 1659 there were 10 English/ Scots & 2 Catholic families; owned by Edward Bruce in 1863 V17 p124 & V7 p 45 OSM; PNNI V2 p 180; SP; GV
Ballycairn Drumbo . see Ballycarn .
Ballycallen Newtownards . alternate spelling for Ballycullen townland in 1810 PNNI V2 p 219

Ballycam
Ballycalm
Ballycame

Ballyphilip a townland 2km NE of Portaferry town; 119 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' crooked townland' ; the proprietor was Mr Camac of Philadelphia in 1836 V17 p125, 126 OSM ; PNNI V2 p 43
Ballycam Bright 21: 52/35 a townland 2km SW of Killough town; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Catholic church in 1305; in 1659 there were 5 English/ Scots & 1 Catholic families here;held by Sir Robert Ward in 1670; owned by Lord Bangor & Richard Keown in 1836 V17 p33,35 OSM; O'L V1 p 307; SP; B p 179
Ballycanal Moira 20: 15/62 a townland 1km N of Moira; click here to see its location on a townland map; means' Conalty's townland'; originally owned by O'Lavery clan in 1609; proprietor Sir R Bateson in 1836 V12 p120 OSM; PNNI V6 p 280
Ballycanenreagh
Ballycanocreagh
Donaghadee alternate names for Carryreagh townland in 1605 V17 p123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 189
Ballycargnan Drumbo . see Ballycarngannon .
Ballycarn Drumbo 20: 32/66 a townland 1km N of Drumbo; click here to see its location on a townland map; 457 acres ; Presbyterian meeting house here; the proprietor in 1833 was Mr Batt of Purdysburn whose agent was Mr Malcolm of Hillhall; 19 landholders; farms from 3-20 acres; land of middling quality;in 1833 there were 50 houses; 27 families employed in agriculture & 13 in trade or manufacture; 132 males & 131 females; 2 professionals & 12 servants;
V7 p56 ,59 ,62 OSM ; GIPR: GIC
Ballycarngannon Drumbo 20: 34/61 a townland of 632 acres; 4km SW of Carryduff on the Saintfield to Lisburn road; click here to see its location on a townland map; the proprietor in 1833 was Lord Downshire whose agent was Mr Reilly of Hillsborough; 19 landholders; farms from 5-32 acres; average leases 14 shillings an acre, new leases 30-35 shillings; crops were potatoes & oats & a small amount of wheat or flax in 1833;land quality middling; there were 58 houses & 52 families; 28 families were employed in agriculture & 14 in trade;133 males & 139 females; 3 professionals & 20 servants
V7 p58, 61 OSM 
Ballycarrigontellan
Newtownards 
alternate name for Craigogantlet townland in1623 V17 p123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 226
Ballycarrongannon Drumbo . see Ballycarngannon .
Ballycarrowreagh Donaghadee . alternate name for Carryreagh townland in 1636 PNNI V2 p 190
Ballycaryne Kilmore . ancient name of Kilmore townland or Tullycarnon O'L V1 p 328, 404
Ballycashone Ballycoshone
Lower & Upper
Ballycosson
Clonduff 29: 22/32 a townland 3km NE of Hilltown; Lower has 179 acres & Upper has 236 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means " homestead beside the river"; held by Sir Arthur Magennis of Rathfriland in 1609 then Hieronym Alexander of Dublin in 1634 & the Hill family in 1640; there was a corn mill with 30 handles here in 1836 on River Bann run by Francis & Thomas McLoughlin in 1836; school closed in 1836 ; land held by Marquis of Downshire in 1863 V3 p3, 4 & V12 p101 OSM; DDPP p105PNNI V3 p 72, 77; GV ; TC p10
Ballycashone House Clonduff . residence of McLoughlin family TC p 10
Ballycaslane Drumballyroney . alternate spelling for Ballyroney townland in Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V6 P 159

Ballycastle
Lower & Upper

Greyabbey 21: 55/72 a townland on the N side of Mount Stewart Estate; 4km NW of Grey Abbey town;click here to see its location on a townland map; 495 acres; means 'townland of the castle' after an old Anglo- Norman castle; in 1659 there were 11 English/ Scots & 5 Catholic families; school erected in 1813 V17 p123 & V7 p67, 70 OSM; SP; PNNI V2 p 202
Ballycastleroghee Clonduff . alternate name for Ballynanny townland in 1661 PNNI V3 p 81
Ballycaw Ballyphilip alternate name for Ballycam townland .
Ballychommoc Clonduff
name of an ancient monastery in Ballynanny townland
DDPP p104
Ballyclamper Bangor
an old townland now part of Ballyminetragh townland. 
V17 p 124 OSM; PNNI V2 p 145, 158

Ballyclander
Upper & Lower

Ballee a townland 4km NW of Ardglass town; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to John Treaner Esq.; one of the Ten Towns Estate in 1710, purchased by Hugh Rainey of Magherafelt;owned by Lord de Clifford; proprietor Mr Sinclair of Belfast in 1836 ; there were 6 families here needing famine relief Aug 1847; inauguration of Orange Hall 27 Feb 1864; article on townland 26 Dec 1868; soiree in Orange Hall 8 Oct 1870; Protestant meeting 4 Nov 1871; William McNab's farm burnt 12 Apr 1879 LM 1985 p52; V17 p20, 21, 22, 23, OSM; DR; O'L V1 p 308 & B p 140; FCD s2 p 25

Ballycloghan

Ballycloughan

Holywood a townland 4km S of Holywood; click here to see its location on a townland map; 633 acres; means ' place of the stepping stones'; originally owned by Inch Abbey; the proprietor in 1834 was Lord Bangor whose agent was Mr McCullogh of Bangor; there were 38 houses; 27 families employed in agriculture & 4 in trade; 101 males & 124 females; 1 capitalists & 11 servants;railway line here in 1863 V17 p123 & V7 p 77, 79 OSM; TMUOP p231 ; DR; O'L V1 p 370;GV
Ballycloghan Killinchy 21: 41/62 a townland 2km N of Saintfield; 558 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; the highest point of the parish 332 feet above sea level; school exam results 10 Feb 1794; gravel pit & a corn mill in 1833 ; National School here in 1841 ;Incendiary fire 30 Oct 1858; railway here in 1863 NS; V7 p86, 88 ,91 OSM: DR; SHM '86 p 32& '90 p 30;GV
Ballycloghtogall Newtownards alternate name for Green Graves townland in 1720; 5 miles from Belfast; means ' town of the stone of the stranger'; this refers to the ancient Kemp stones; two upright stones 2 metres in height with a capstone of 3 metres; a warrior's grave V17 p 121 OSM; PNNI V2 p 230
Ballycloughan Killinchy  . see Ballycloghan
Ballycockery Ardkeen . alternate name for Cookstown townland in 1662 PNNI V2 p 14
Ballycolly Down . ancient name for Ballyrolly townland;named after Crolly family O'L V1 p 306
Ballycommogue Clonduff . the name of a 7th century monastery in Ballynanny townland GAA CS p 19; PNNI V3 p 81
Ballyconingham Bright . alternate name for Coniamstown townland c. 1329 O'L B p 182
Ballyconnell Moira . alternate spelling for Ballycanal townland on Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V6 p 280
Ballycopeland
Ballycopland
Donaghadee
15:59/76 
a townland of 474 acres; the village of Millisle is partly in this townland; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Copeland's townland'; in 1659 there were 19 English/ Scots & 12 Catholic families & the proprietor was Thomas Nevin Esq. ; contains a small pond & a corn mill & a mill (still standing, photo available) for grinding corn in 1837; a Seceder's Presbyterian meeting house here; mainly owned by Henry Reid in 1863 V17 p123 & V7 p 45, 49 OSM; SP; HMNI p109; GIC; PNNI V2 p 181; LR 2011 p8; GV
Ballycopeland Burn Donaghadee
15:58/77
runs from Eagle Rock E to Irish Sea;2km N of Millisle .
Ballycormick Bangor alternate name for Ballymacormick townland in 1605 & 1810 V17 p124 & V7 p115 OSM; PNNI V2 p 156
Ballycorshillcoghill Clonduff . alternate name for Ballynanny townland in 1611 PNNI V3 p 71, 81
Ballycoshone
Clonduff  . alternate spelling for Ballycashone townland in 1829 PNNI V3 p 77
Ballycottin Kilclief Protestant school here in 1880s (photo available) & Rooney’s shop Inv1997 p 48 & 2000 p 43, 46
Ballycowan
Ballycoen
Drumbo 20: 34/66 a townland 3km SW of Newtownbreda; click here to see its location on a townland map; the village of Purdysburn is in this townland ; land sale of 12 acres 11 Sep 1793; in 1833 there were 2 flax mills & 2 corn mill; a school was erected in 1822; the proprietor in 1833 was Mr Smyth of Drumbridge whose agent was Mr. Malcom of Hillhall; 45 landholders; rents from 14-25 shillings an acre; Mr Hunter's dispensary in 1833 was supported by the locals; in 1833 there were 167 houses; 78 families were employed in agriculture & 52 in trade & manufacture; 481 males & 405 females; 3 professionals & 20 servants
NS; V7 p54, 56 ,57 , 59, 60, 63 OSM 
Ballycowan House Drumbo . residence of George Macklin in 1877
MIs
Ballycran beg Ardkeen 21: 61/59 a townland 4km W of Portavogie; 394 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map;means ' townland of the tree area, little'; in 1659 there were 2 English/ Scots & 4 Catholic families here; Catholic church here; Parochial House here ; school here in 1912 V17 p125 OSM ; MIs;SP; PNNI V2 p 11; JUAHS 2012 p35
Ballycran more Ardkeen 21: 62/59 a townland 3km W of Portavogie; 593 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the tree area, great' ; in 1659 there were 2 English/ Scots & 15 Catholic families here; V17 p125 OSM; SP; PNNI V2 p 12
Ballycreboy Donaghadee . alternate name for Craigboy townland in 1659 census PNNI V2 p 190

Ballycrealy

Ballycreely
Ballycrilly

Comber a townland 3km SW of Comber; ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; 603 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; proprietors in 1837 were Lord Northland whose agent was Capt. Gordon & ;21 landholders in 1837; good land; old leases 10 -14 shillings, new leases 25-30 shillings an acre; farms from 10-40 acres, one farm 5 acres; 82 males & 104 females in 1837; Sabbath Schhol house here in 1863 V17 p123 & V7 p37, 39, 42 OSM;GV
Ballycreelly House Comber 21: 43/67 farm; 3km SW of Comber
Ballycreen Magheradrool 20: 33/56 a townland 4km NW of Ballynahinch on the Lisburn road; click here to see its location on a townland map; 628 acres; means ' withered townland'; owned by Arthur Annesley then sold to David Ker family in 1786; property of David Ker Esq. whose agent was Mr Black in 1836; there were 33 landholders; mostly Presbyterian; good quality land; crops were potatoes, wheat & oats; farms were from 5-24 acres; rents from 40-55 shillings an acre; there were 20 weavers in 1834 & one school JML (PRONI- D1255/3/23; HMP; V17 p99, 102 OSM; DR* 3/12/03

Ballycrevie Ballyvcrewy

Aghaderg alternate spellings for Creevy townland V12 p1 OSM
Ballycrickard Comber caora.com

Ballycrochan Ballycroghan

Bangor 15:54/80  a townland 3km SE of Bangor; 539 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the small hill'; 44 acres of marsh, flooded in winter in 1836 V7 p19 & V17 p124 OSM; PNNI V2 p 151
Ballycross Donaghadee
15:57/80 
a small townland 2km NW of Donaghadee; 83 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the cross' meaning crossroads; its ancient name was Ballenocross; contains a hill which is 135 above sea level; in 1659 there were 10 Scots/ English & 0 Catholic families here ; owned by Eliza Lowry in 1863 V17 p124 & V7 p45 OSM;SP; PNNI V2 p 181; GV
Ballycross Magherally 20: 14/50 a townland 5km N of Banbridge; 692 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the cross'; (meaning crossroads) ;Patterson’s Lake; bog; marsh; proprietor Marquis of Downshire in 1836; shocking infanticide here 14 Jun 1856 V12 p112, 113, 114 OSM: DR; PNNI V6 p 259
Ballycross House Magherally 20: 14/59 farm; 3km N of Banbridge;
Ballycrune Annahilt a townland of 608 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' round townland'; 67 families in the census without surnames of 1821; 39 employed in agriculture,19 in trade,15 servants,10 weavers, 411 was the total population in 1821; Reading Society here in 1830; school here in 1836 ;the proprietor Marquis of Downshire with agent Mr Reilly, Hillsborough in 1836;41 landholders; farms were from 3-26 acres with one of 20 acres; rents were 15 shillings an acre under old leases & 25-32 shillings; good quality land; crops were potatoes, wheat & oats; HMP; V12 p20, 21, 22 OSM; SMH '86 p 45
Ballycrune Lough Annahilt 20: 30/55 2km SE of Annahilt village
Ballycruttle Ballee 21: 53/42 a townland 4km SE of Downpatrick; 212 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; leased from Earl of Ardglass by Henry Fitzsimons 1659-1680 for an annual rent of £20; owned by Southwell Estate & leased to Thomas Cummine in 1710; owned by Southwell Estate in 1752 & leased to Alexander Hamilton Esq; owned by Samuel Hamilton & proprietor Mr Hamilton, Dublin in 1836; Catholic church here; school records available 1840-46 PRONI; there were 2 families here needing famine relief Aug 1847; article on townland 26 Dec 1868 V17 p20, 21, 22 ; LM 1985 p53 ; LM 1991 p25;OFDp 186; DR; GIC:GIPR ; O'L V1 p 307; FCS s2 p 25
Ballycullen Newtownards 15:48/74  a townland 2km W of Newtownards; 324 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map;means ' Quillan's townland' ; National School & railway line here in 1863
PNNI V2 p 219 ;GV
Ballyculler Witter . alternate name for Ballywhollart townland in 1659 census PNNI V2 p 129

Ballyculter

Lower & Upper

Ballyculter 21: 57/47 a parish & townland; 3km S of Strangford town; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'Coulter's townland '; school here in 1836; corn mill; Church of Ireland here & an almshouse built in 1832; parish owned by Lord Bangor in 1836 ; photo of school built 1823: Strangford Lodge to be let 3 Apr 1852; Orange Hall opening 16 May 1868; honour to Mounted Constable Hughes 3 Jan 1880 V17 p20, 25,27,28, 30 OSM; Inv 1997 p27 & 2001 p 10; DR: GIPR; GIC; BB p 38; O'L B p 140; LM 1986 p17-26 ; Inv 2010 p3 (OS map 1830s)

Ballycultra

Ballycultraw

Holywood a townland 3km NE of Holywood on the coast; 825 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; a school established in 1820 at Creighton's Green; the proprietor in 1834 was H. Kennedy Esq. whose agent was Mr. Crawford of Ballycultra; there were 41 houses; 16 families employed in agriculture & 43 in trade; 117 males & 119 females; 2 capitalists & 19 servants; coastgyard station here in 1863
V7 p76, 77 ,79 OSM ;GV
Ballycumber Kilmood or Ballymonestragh; ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p123 OSM
Ballycummog Clonduff an ancient townland near Hen Mountain in Ballynanny townland RR ST J p9
Ballycunningham Bright . name of an ancient Catholic chapel & infirmary near Conianstown House c. 1320 O'L V1 p 144
Ballycurry Kilbroney . alternate name for Ballincurry townland on Subsidy Roll of 1663 PNNI V1 p 135
Ballydam Slanes/ Castleboy . alternate spelling for Ballyadam townland in 1659 SP

Ballydargin
Ballydaugin
Ballydergan

Bright

a townland 6km WNW of Killough town; click here to see its location on a townland map; proprietor was the Hamilton family in 1836, Hamiltons' Hill manor; lead mine 8 Apr 1837; windill mill here (photo available)

V17 p33,37 OSM; O'L V1 p 146; LM 1988 p23; LM 1999 p88; DR; LR 2011 p9, 10,12,13,15
Ballydargan Hill Bright 21: 48/39 hill ;5km NW of Killough
Ballydavey Holywood
15:44/80 
a townland 4km E of Holywood; 610 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; the proprietor in 1834 was H. Kennedy Esq. whose agent was Mr Crawford of Ballycultra; there were 31 houses; 22 families employed in agriculture & 5 in trade; 86 males & 93 females; 1 capitalists & 11 servants;
V7 p77, 78 OSM 

Ballydeine

Kilmore . ancient name for Ballydyan
SP 
Ballydelany Clonallan . see Ballydulany
TAB
Ballydesland Clonallan 29: 14/21 a townland 3km N of Warrenpoint; 310 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'townland of the righthand turn' in the river
PNNI V1 p 59

Ballydian

Kilmore see Ballydyan
Ballydock . see under Ballyedock or Carstown .

Ballydolahan

Ballydollaghan

Drumbo- part &

Knockbreda- part

20: 34/69 a townland I km S of Newtownbreda; 377 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; the proprietors in 1833 were Lord Northland & Lord Dungannon; the agents were Mr Gordon & Capt Skinner of Belfast; 12 landholders; farms from 4-40 acres; rent on old leases 20 shillings an acre & new leases 40 shillings an acre; land middling quality; 1 corn mill & a flax mill in 1833;in 1833 there were 44 houses; 23 families were employed in agriculture & 7 in trade; 99 males & 104 females; 1 professional & 6 servants ;Murder- John Oliver 3 Feb 1855 V7 p60, 62, 63,102 OSM: DR

Ballydonety
Ballydonity

Down a townland 3km W of Downpatrick; 375 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to Roger West Esq. until 1678 ; owned the the Southwell Estate in 1752 & leased to Cromwell Price Esq.; owned by heirs of Francis Savage Esq.in 1836; there were 32 houses; 17 families employed in agriculture & 7 in trade; 86 males & 94 females; 4 manufacturers & 4 servants; click here for a photo LM 1985 p52; LM 1991 p25; V17 p52, 56 OSM
Ballydonnan Donaghadee . alternate spelling for Ballydoonan in 1659 census PNNI V2 p 182
Ballydonnell
Ballydonell
Down 21: 46/39 a townland 4km SW of Downpatrick; 415 acres ;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' black townland' after the black rock in the area; originally belonged to Magennis clan; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to John Echlin Esq then Mr. Henry Maxwell; owner William Johnston Esq. of Ballykilbeg in 1836 ; there were 34 houses; 28 families employed in agriculture & 3 in trade; 97 males & 106 females; 2 manufacturers & 7 servants V17 p 52, 56, 57 OSM; LM 1985 p53; DDW p 13
Ballydoo Drumgath 29: 17/29 a townland 4km W of Hilltown;254 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' black townland' ; hill 802 ft here ; proprietor Lord Annesley; agent Mr Law of Castlewellan in 1836; rocky, barren looking place; farms from 5-18 acres; leases 31 years or 3 lives; rents from 14-21 shillings an acre V3 p19, 21 OSM; PNNI V1 p 115
Ballydoolaney Clonallan . alternate spelling for Ballydulaney townland
IIW
Ballydoonan Donaghadee 21: 59/71 a townland 6km S of Donaghadee; 252 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the little forts'; Ballydoonan House here; in 1659 there were 5 English/ Scots & 1 Catholic families; owned by Lord Dufferin & Claneboye in 1863
V17 p124 OSM; old b/w map X12; SP; PNNI V2 p 182; GV
Ballydorn
Ballydoran
Ballydown
Killinchy 21: 51/63 a townland 2km NE of Killinchy; 355 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; one of the highest points in the parish; contains an ancient standing stone near Ardmillan bridge, 6 feet high; National School here in 1863
V7 p86 ,90 OSM ; GV
Ballydougan Tullylish . see Ballydugan .
Ballydounkilmuck Drumbo . ancient name for Hillhall in 1736 Registry of Deeds, Dublin Vol 110 p215
Ballydowey Slanes alternate name for Dowey townland .
Ballydown Seapatrick 20: 14/45 a townland 2km SE of Banbridge; 746 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the hill fort'; ancient Mass station on the fort; Presbyterian church here; proprietor N.C. Whyte Esq.in 1836; wooden bridge; mills & bleach greens; residence of T. Crawford in 1836: Milligans mill for sale 10 Jan 1846 V12 p123 125, 126, 132, 134 OSM ; DDPP p124 ; DR; GIC; GIPR; PNNI V6 p 305
Ballydownan Donaghadee
alternate spelling for Ballydoonan townland in 1833. 
V17 p124 OSM; PNNI V2 p 182

Ballydrain
Ballydrean

Tullynakill 21: 49/66 a townland 4km SE of Comber on Strangford lough; 362 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means place of the blackthorn tree';also known as Thorn Castle;the proprietor in 1836 was R. Warren Knox but was in the court of chancery at the time; farms were from 5-60 acres; rents from 25-30 shillings an acre; good quality land; school there in 1836 ;school exam 21 Aug 1841 V7 p 122 OSM: DR; O'L V1 p 357, 366 & B p 319
Ballydrumchie
Newtownards 
alternate name for Crossnamuckley townland in 1661 V17 p123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 227
Ballydrumereaghe Killinchy ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; possibly Drumreagh V17 p 123 OSM
Ballydrumman Ballydrummond Drumgooland 29: 28/39 a townland 2km N of Ballyward; 650 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; site of the ancient Celtic Camp Stone used for pagan offerings then adapted by the Christians;this townland was called Port Droman in 1659; there were only 7 Irish families there then; old Mass Station on Camp Hill on Keenan's farm in Penal Times; in the 1841 Census there were 52 familes living in 50 houses with 139 males & 155 females
DCPH p 38, 47,50, 131
Ballydrunkirk
Ballydrumkirk
Newtownards alternate name for Drumhirk in 1661 V17 p 123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 229
Ballyduffe Drumgath . alternate name for Ballydoo townland on Rent Roll on 1692 PNNI V1 p 118
Ballydugan Down 21: 46/43 a townland 3km SW of Downpatrick; 622 acres ;click here to see its location on a townland map;site of an ancient chapel; a mill here in 1333 held by William de Burgo; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to Roger West Esq.; has a lake; owned by the Southwell Estate in 1752 and leased to Henry West .; mill & windmill opened 1792 ; flour from the mill for sale 4 Jan 1796; starch manufacturing established at the mill 24 Oct 1796; townland owned by Richard Keown Esq.in 1836; there were 56 houses; 38 families employed in agriculture & 12 in trade; 141 males & 159 females; 4 professionals & 12 servants;railway line to Downpatrick 15 Jan 1842: lands ‘in Chancery’ 19 Apr 1845: new road 14 Jun 1845: new post office 16 Aug 1845: mill bought by Messrs. Walker 10 Oct 1846: soup kitchen 1st May 1847: harvest home 4 Oct 1851: Harvest Home 23 Sep 1854; fire at the Mills 20 Oct 1855; stabbing William Beggs & John Smith 5 Sep 1868; O'L V1 p 305; LM 1985 p8, 52; NS; V17 p 38, 49, 52, 54, 55 OSM; LM 1991 p23; DR; LR 2007 p17 (mill) ; LM 2000 p66-67 (mill); LR 2011 p9
Ballydugan Cottage Down . residence of W. Harley, solicitor in 1901 & C.M. Russel, solicitor in 1910
POD
Ballydugan House Down . house & farm of 288 acres, 3km SW of Downpatrick; built by 1781 by Capt. Henry West on site of earlier house; residence of James Gracey c. 1835; sale of house & demesne at public auction 5 & 12 Dec 1840; marriage of William Keown Esq. J.P. of Ballydugan House 18 Oct 1845; amateur theatricals at Ballydugan House, leased by William Keown in 1863 from John Keown; list of guests 6 Jan 1877; death of William Boyd Esq 20 Jan 1877;dinner to tenantry on Keown-Boyd estates 26 Jan 1878; residence of Stephen Perceval Maxwell in 1901 & 1910
old b/w map N 14; LM 1985 p8, 41; DR;GV; POD ; LR 2010 p72
Ballydugan Lake Down 21: 45/44 large lake, 3km SW of Downpatrick
Ballydugan Tullylish 20: 6/53 a townland 2km SW of Bleary; 947 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' O'Dugan's townland'; Shane’s Hill 336 ft; proprietors heirs of Henry Wallace Esq. in 1836; centre of handloom weaving 1880s-1901; National school 1879; Ballydugan House here V12 p140, 142 OSM; UF p3,9 ; old b/w map G2; PNNI V6 p 330
Ballydulaney Clonallan a townland east of Mayobridge; 415 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map ; means 'dark townland of the pass'; proprietor John Reilly Esq. of Scarva in 1836; inhabitants all Catholic; farms were 10 acres; rents from 25-30 shillings an acre; school there in 1836 V3 p 1 OSM; DDPP p99; PNNI V1 p 60
Ballydullaghan Dromore . alternate name for Edentiroory townland in 1611
PNNI V6 p 125
Ballydyan Kilmore 21: 41/55 a townland 4km NW of Crossgar; 542 acres; in 1659 the propretor was William Fairley Esq. & there were 18 English/Scots families only here; click here to see its location on a townland map
SP: SHM '94 p55; TCC p 33
Ballyear Seapatrick proprietor NC Whyte Esq.in 1836; an old mill & sets of scutches in 1836 V12 p 134 OSM
Ballyearly Ardquin . see Ballyherly .
Ballyeastan Castleboy . Cloghy Manor in early times
V7 p 18 OSM
Ballyedmond Kilbroney a townland south of the road between Rostrevor and Kilkeel; 255 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Edmond's townland'; originally belonged to Donald & James McYawne then Nicholas Bagnall in 1585; Catholic chapel here V3 p 28 OSM; GIPR: GIC; PNNI V1 p 140;GV; HPA p12
Ballyedmond Castle Kilbroney . a townland 9km W of Kilkeel on Carlingford Lough; residence of Councillor Stewart, proprietor in 1836; described as a good plain 2-storey house with a neat garden and woodland of oak, sycamore, beech, larch and fir; Alexander Stewart J.P. of Ballyedmond Castle, death notice 10 Mar 1883; residence of Col. Nugent in 1910
DR: CM; POD
Ballyedmond Upper Kilbroney . a townland of 92 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map .
Ballyedmond Wood Kilbroney 29: 20/16 on the slopes of The Mournes, 3km SE of Rostrevor

Ballyedock or Carstown

Ballyphilip
Witter
a townland 3km S of Portaferry on the entrance to Strangford Lough; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Idock's townland' ; in 1659 there were 4 English/ Scots & 8 Catholic families here;there was a Catholic Mass rock here in Penal times
V17 p125 OSM; SP; PNNI V2 p 123 
Ballyedock
Upper & Lower
Dunsford townlands just S of Dunsford village; click here to see its location on a townland map; ancient townland name; Catholic church here V17 p68, 72, 123 OSM; GIC
Ballydock House Dunsford . residence of Rev. James Gilchrist; death notice 24 Sep 1881 DR
Ballyedom Castleboy alternate spelling for Ballyadam townland in 1833 PNNI V2 p 78
Ballyeivy Seapatrick alternate spelling for Ballevy townland .
Ballyelly
Garvaghy
. alternate spelling for Ballooly townland PNNI V6 p 191
Ballyene
Magheradrool
. residence of Rev. David Edgar in 1846 POD
Ballyenrash or Ballytallichon or Ballenrush; ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM
Ballyenrush or Ballytallicohan or Ballenrash; ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM
Ballyeree Lough Annahilt . small lake in Magheraknock townland; old b/w map M7
Ballyesborough
Ballyesboro
Ballyesbrough
Ballyesterewgh
Ballyhalbert 21: 64/62 a townland of 788 acres; 3km S of Ballyhalbert; click here to see its location on a townland map ; in 1659 there were 10 English/ Scots & 9 Catholic families; Church of Ireland here; school here in 1836; Mr. Watt,schoolmaster at National school, drowned 27 Sep 1884 (DR); extraordinary afair in Orange Lodge 28 Apr 1900 (NC) V7 p 6 OSM; DR; GIC; GIPR; SP; NC; PNNI V2 p 104;GV
Ballyevey Seapatrick 20: 15/45 see Ballevy
Ballyewry Grey Abbey a townland on Strangford Lough; just N of Mount Stewart estate; 193 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the place of yew trees'; public works program instigated for famine relief with road upgrade from Miller's Three Roads, Ballyewry to Gregstown 27 May 1848
PNNI V2 p 203 ; FCD S2 p 8
Ballyfallaght Ballee owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford, Mr Crawford & Mr Thompson in 1836 V17 p22 OSM
Ballyfarm
Ballyfearn
Annaclone . spelling for Ballynafern townland on Rent Roll of 1692 & in 1659 Census PNNI V6 p 65
Ballyfergowan Garvaghy . an ancient land area where Garvaghy townland is now PNNI V6 p 189, 199
Ballyferis
Ballyfairis
Ballywalter 21: 62/73 a townland 3km N of Ballywalter town; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Peres tonwland'; in 1659 there were 10 English/ Scots & 11 Catholic families;robbery from a wreck 14 Apr 1860 (DR); a National School here in 1863; wreck of Jenny Lind on Ballyferris Point 15 Dec 1876 & of Tertius 17 Mar 1877 (NC) V17 p125 OSM; DR;BoTWR/MB; NC;SP;GV; PNNI V2 p 69
Ballyferis Point Ballywalter 21: 62/73 rocky head; 2km N of Ballyferis townland
Ballyfinaghy Ballyfineragh Drumbeg
a townland in Co. Antrim; 2km NE of Drumbeg village; click here to see its location on a townland map 
 
Ballyfinragh
Ballyfineragh
Witter or Ballyphilip 21: 61/55 a townland 3km NE of Portaferry; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the white field'; in 1659 there were 5 English/ Scots & 3 Catholic families here; proprietor Mr Camac of Philadelphia whose agent was Mr Stewart in 1836; large lake; V17 p 124, 126 & V7 p125 OSM; SP; PNNI V2 p 124
Ballyfinragh Lough Ballyphilip or Witter 21: 61/55 5km NNE of Portaferry; 22 acres of this lough are in Witter parish; formerly known as Ballygalget Lough
V7 p125 OSM ; PNNI V2 p 135
Ballyfirnis Ballywalter . possibly Ballyfrenis V7 p18 OSM
Ballyfotherly
Ballyfutherly
Bangor 15:56/80  a townland 3km W of Donaghadee; 539 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map;means ' Powderly's townland'; 122 acres of bog; in 1659 there were 22 English/Scots & 16 Catholic families here; railway line here in 1863 V7 p19, 45 & 17 p124 OSM; SP; BM; PNNI V2 p 151;GV
Ballyfounder
Ballyfoner
Ballytrustan 21: 61/49 a townland 3km SE of Portaferry; 139 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'Poyner's townland' ; in 1659 there were 14 English/ Scots & 3 Catholic families here; all farm rents in 1836 were 35 shillings
V7 p7 & V17 p 125 OSM; SP; PNNI V2 p 57 
Ballyfree Bangor . alternate spelling for Ballyree townland GV
Ballyfrench
Ballyfrenge
Ballyfringe
Ballyhalbert 21: 65/62 a townland 2km N of Portavogie: 260 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Frenes' townland' ; in 1659 there were 4 English/ Scots & 5 Catholic families V17 p 215 & V7 p 17 OSM; SP; PNNI V2 p 105
Ballyfrenis Donaghadee 15:59/74  a townland of 266 acres;2km SW of Millisle village; click here to see its location on a townland map; means "Frenis's townland'; in 1659 there were 7 English/ Scots & 3 Catholic families; Presbyterian church here; owned by Nicholas D. Crommelin in 1863 V17 p 124 OSM; GIC: GIPR; SP; PNNI V2 p 183;GV
Ballyfrooke Ballee . ancient townland name c. 1641
O'L B p 140
Ballyfuneragh Ballyphilip . ancient name for the rectory of Ballygalget
O'L V1 p 411
Ballygalagh Inch see Ballygally
Ballygalget Ballyphilip or
Witter
21: 62/54 a townland 4km NE of Portaferry; 289 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Galgyl's townland' the hill is 177 feet above sea level called Knockdoo or Rock Savage, ancient castle here, site of ancient Catholic chapel; paid tithes to the Prior of Down in 1615; tithes for fish given to Lord Claneboy 1629; in 1659 there were 5 English/ Scots & 10 Catholic families here;Catholic chapel here; residence of Rowland Savage was here in 1573 but by 1836 it had been taken down; concert in National School 6 Feb 1886 V7 p 13, 125 ,126, 127 & V17 p 125, 134 OSM;SP; DR; TIA: GIPR: GIC; O'L V1 p 410 & B p 328; PNNI V2 p 125; JUAHS 1977 p2,3
Ballygallbeg Down residence of Andrew Crolly in 1761 MIDp 34
Ballygallighye Ardkeen ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; could possible be Ballygelagh V17 p 123 OSM
Ballygallum Bright a townland 6km NW of Killough town;click here to see its location on a townland map; one of the Ten Towns Estate in 1710, purchased by Hugh Rainey of Magherafelt; the proprietors were the heirs of Lord De Clifford in 1836 V17 p 33 OSM; O'L v1 p 308
Ballygallum House Bright 21: 51/41 farm, 3km SE of Downpatrick
Ballygally Inch a townland on the Killyleagh to Downpatrick road; 934 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' town of the nuns'; originally owned by Inch Abbey; owned by Southwell Estate in 1752 & leased to Robert Maxwell Esq ; map of C. Pilson’s property 1807, deeds & leases 1790-1839 in PRONI; bought by Ker family in 1835; school here in 1836; Sabbath school problem 14 Aug 1841; schoolmaster wanted 27 Mar 1847;opening of Orange Hall 2 Jan 1869; farewell to Samuel Bassett 27 Feb 1869; Primitive Wesleyan Methodist Society annual soiree 6 Dec 1873 V17 p73: LR 2009 p51; OFD p192; LM 1991 p25; DR; O'L V1 p 325; DR* 3/12/03
Ballygaltagh Kilmegan 29: 35/39 farm, near Dungram Hill, 2km NNE of Castlewellan  
Ballygaireige or Ballynanery; ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p123 OSM
Ballyganaway
Ballywalter
. see under Ganaway .
Ballygannymore
Ballykinler
ancient name for Ballykinler Upper townland LM 1999 p88; LM 2000 p 88
Ballygarduff or Ballygarriff; ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM
Ballygargan
Inishargy
. alternate spelling for Ballygarvan townland in 1659 census PNNI V2 p 86
Ballygarrie . ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM
Ballygarricke
Tullylish
. alternate spelling for Ballynagarrick townland in 1659 census PNNI V6 p 332
Ballygarriff or Ballygarduff; Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p 123 OSM
Ballygarvan
Ballygarvigan
Ballygarvue
Inishargy 21:59/65 a townland 3km S of Grey Abbey; 543 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means O'Garvan's town' ; in 1659 there were 14 English/ Scots & 4 Catholic families;
V7 p 18 OSM; SP; PNNI V2 2p 86 ;TAB
Ballygarvigan Ballyphilip a townland 4km NE of Portaferry town; 234 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of O'Garvigan'; in 1659 there were 9 English/ Scots & 4 Catholic families here; proprietor Mr Camac in 1836 ; school established 1834; 30 acres of bog here V17 p127, 128 OSM;SP; PNNI V2 p 44
Ballygaven Ardkeen . alternate name for Sketrick Island in 1624 PNNI V2 p 25
Ballygawley Inch . alternate spelling for Ballygally townland .
Ballygawley Saintfield  . 3km SE of town; a bog with oak & fir trees in it in 1837 V7 p 114 OSM
Ballygeehan
Ballygeegan
Killinchy 21: 51/58 a townland 3km SE of Killinchy on Killyleagh road; 617 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map;one of the high points of the parish; one of the few areas of scrubby oaks & a wood of fir tress in the parish;also a area of turbary/turf bog
V17 p86, 87 OSM 
Ballygeely Lough Saintfield 21: 42/58 small lake with crannog, 2km SE of Saintfield; click here to see its location on a townland map

Ballygelach Ballygelagh

Ardkeen a townland NE of Ardkeen village; 629 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Irish townland', meaning that Irish people were allowed to stay during the Scottish plantation; in 1659 there were 0 English/ Scots & 19 Catholic families here; large bog here ; public works program instigated for famine relief with road upgrade from Portaferry to Ballygela Bog 27 May 1848 V17 p 125 & V7 p 1 OSM; PNNI V2 p 12;SP; FCD S2 p 8

Ballygigan
Ballygigon

Killinchy  . alternate spelling for Ballygeeghan .
Ballygilbert Bangor
15:45/80 
a townland 2km SW of Crawfordsburn; 368 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means "Gilbert's townland'; in 1659 there were 6 English/Scots & 1 Catholic families here; Presbyterian church here; National School here in 1863 V7 p19 OSM; TU p98: BM; SP; GIPR; PNNI V2 p 152;GV
Ballygilbert Bright  . a townland 3km NW of Killough town; click here to see its location on a townland map; originally owned by Inch Abbey; the proprietor was Major Beauclerk in 1836 ; V17 p33 OSM ; O'L V1 p 325
Ballygilbert House Bright 21: 51/38 farm , 2km NW of Killough
Ballygillenherrig Knockbreda . alternate name for Gortgrib townland; means ' lands of the descendents of Dearca'
O'L B p 26,27
Ballygilly Saintfield . a small, shallow lake; also called Ballysilly;pike, trout & eels caught in 1837
V7 p117 OSM
Ballyginny Maghera  . a townland of 522 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; let to Rev. W. Annesley in 1533; Methodist church here; old windmill here
GIC; O'L V1 p 56 & B p 20; LR 2011 p9
Ballyginney Park Maghera 29: 37/34 farm on Carrigs river, 1km E of Maghera village  .
Ballygirvan Killinchy . a watchmaker resided in this townland & employed 4 people in 1833
V7 p 89 OSM
Ballyglighorn Tullynakill a townland 2km N of Lisbane village; 182 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; the proprietor in 1836 was R. Warren Knox but were in the court of chancery; good land; farms from 5-60 acres; rents from 25- 30 shillings an acre;
V7 p122 OSM 
Ballyglone House
Magheradrool
. see under Ballylone GV
Ballygoan
Kilkeel
. alternate spelling for Ballygowan townland in Subsidy roll of 1663 PNNI V3 p 23
Ballygoard
Clonduff
. alternate name for Goward townland in 1639 PNNI V3 p 87
Ballygoieril Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down V17 p123 OSM
Ballygone Aghaderg . alternate spelling of Ballygowan townland in 1659 census
PNNI V6 p 24
Ballygorian Beg
Ballygorgonbegg
Ballygoranebegg
Clonduff 29: 20/30 a townland 2km N of Hilltown on the Rathfriland road; 500 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means " O'Dorrian's homestead" or "Curran's townland' ; held by Sir Arthur Magennis of Rathfriland in 1609 then Henry Smith of Co. Armagh in 1632 then James Lowth of Newry in 1636 for 31 years then Mr Barker in 1657 then part of Annesley estate ; a recently built school in Ballygiran cemetrry was demolished by Earl Annesley in 1824 at the insistence of Marquis of Downshire; Catholic church here; owned by Earl Annesley in 1863
GIC; PNNI V3 p 72, 78; DDPP p105; GV; TC p11
Ballygorian More
Ballygorgarmore
Ballygoranemore
Clonduff 29: 19/30 a townland 3km NW of Hilltown; 672 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means " O'Dorrian's homestead" or "Currna's townland" ; held by Sir Arthur Magennis of Rathfriland in 1609 then Henry Smith of Co. Armagh in 1632 then James Lowth of Newry in 1636 for 31 years then Mr Barker in 1657 then part of Annesley estate; owned by Earl Annesley in 1863
PNNI V3 p 79 ; DDPP p105 ; GV; TC p11
Ballygoskin Killyleagh 21: 49/57 a townland 4km NW of Killyleagh; 401 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; Thomas Taylor death 29 Oct 1881 DR
Ballygowan Aghaderg 20: 10/44 a townland 3km SW of Banbridge; 431 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map;means ' townlands of the smiths'; small river runs through it V12 p 1, 3 OSM; old b/w map F5; PNNI V6 p 24
Ballygowan Lodge Aghaderg . residence of William Spence Esq. in 1819
POD
Ballygowan Comber- part 21: 42/64 5km SW of Comber; a village & townland of 302 acres; click here for a photo and more information ; click here to see its location on a townland map .
Ballygowan Drumbeg
a townland of 200 acres; ancient name was Tullogoune;click here to see its location on a townland map ; in 1659 there were 6 English/Scots & 2 Catholic families here
SP; SHM '94 p56
Ballygowan
Ballygowen
Kilkeel 29: 25/14 a townland on Carlingford Lough, 6km W of Kilkeel town; 124 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' O'Gowans' townland' ; part of the Bagenal Estate in 1540; in 1659 there were 4 Irish people living here & it was owned by Richard Houston Esq.; owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; corn mill here in 1836 V3 p 52 OSM: CM; SP; PNNI V3 p 23; MO 5/8/2009 p6
Ballygowan Killinchy- part 21: 42/64 5km SW of Comber; a village & townland of 380 acres;click here for a photo and more information .
Ballygowan House Killinchy . house, estate of 160 acres & workman's cottages ; held partly in fee by Samuel Lowry in 1863 & partly leased from William Mussenden
GV
Ballygowan Moira 20: 18/57 a townland 4km SE of Moira ;504 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ; townland of the smith'; originally owned by Rory Magennis in 1609; proprietor Marquis of Downshire 1836 V12 p 121 OSM; PNNI V6 p 281
Ballygowan House Moira 20: 20/57 farm; 4km SW of Hillsborough; seat of Robert Rollo Reid in 1798
BGHD p 68  
Ballygown Saul residence of Megrath family in 1822 MID p 159
Ballygraffan Kilmood 21: 47/67 a townland 3km SE of Comber; 212 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1831 there were 15 houses; 9 families employed in agriculture & 5 in trade; 42 males & 38 females; 1 servant; the proprietor then was Lord Londonderry whose agent was M<r J. Andrews of Comber; good land; farms from 6- 20 acres; rent was 20 - 33 shillings an acre; crops were potatoes, wheat & oats
V7 p 94,95 OSM 
Ballygraffane Ballyhalbert  . ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; most probably Ballygraffin V17 p 123 OSM

Ballygraffin Ballygraffan

Ballyhalbert 21: 62/61 a townland 3km SW of Ballyhalbert; 398 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1659 there were 4 English/ Scots & 2 Catholic families; V17 p123, 125 & V 7 p 18 OSM; SP; PNNI V2 p 106
Ballygrainey
Ballygreny
Bangor
15:53/79 
a townland of 700 acres; 3km SE of Bangor; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the sun'; in 1659 there were 7 English/Scots & 10 Catholic families here; 4 acres of uncultivated land ,3 acres of marsh, flooded in winter in 1836; a windmill for flax in 1836;extensive stone/slate quarry in 1836; railway station site; Presbyterian church here; public works program instigated for famine relief with road upgrade from six roads in Ballygrainey to Donaghadee 28 May 1848 ; railway line here in 1863

V17 p124 & V7 p19, 22,47 OSM; SP; NWAGp37 map: BM; GIPR: GIC; PNNI V2 p 152; FCD S2 p 8;GV

Ballygrainey Holywood 15: 43/80   a townland 4km NE of Holywood town; 424 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' sunny town; a school here in 1834; buildings burnt, reward list 9 Jul 1853 (DR); the proprietor in 1834 was H. Kennedy Esq. whose agent was Mr Crawford of Ballycultra; there were 24 houses; 13 families employed in agriculture & 4 in trade; 63 males & 74 females; 4 capitalists & 14 servants; fatal quarry accident 19 Jan 1889 (NC) V7 p 76, 77 ,78 OSM; HCPCI p288; DR; NC
Ballygrange Grey Abbey or Kilmanagh; ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; most probably Ballygrangee V17 p 123 OSM
Ballygrangee Ballygrangey Grey Abbey a townland just W of Mount Stewart estate; 331 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the grange'; has an area of bog; in 1659 there were 2 English/ Scots & 6 Catholic families; superstition about 'card-cutter & cup tosser' 22 Nov 1856; V17 p 123 & V7 p67 OSM;SP ;DR; PNNI V2 p 203
Ballygrangee House Grey Abbey 21: 56/71 farm near Mt Stewart Estate, 3km NW of Grey Abbey; birthplace of gaun Hamilton in 1848; b/w photo available
LR 2013 p42. 
Ballygreaney Bangor . most probably Ballygrainey .
Ballygromhirk Kilmood or Ballydrunkirk; Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; most probably Drumhirk V17 p123 OSM
Ballygrot
Ballygratt
Bangor
15:45/82 
a townland between Crawfordsburn & Helen's Bay; 721acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the small hills'; in 1659 there were 14 English/Scots & 6 Catholic families here & the proprietor ws Robert Hamilton Esq.; ;7 acres of uncultivated land and patches of rock 1836; railway & coastguard station here in 1863
V7 p19 OSM;SP; PNNI V2 p 153 ;GV
Ballygunaghan Donaghcloney a townland 2km S of Donaghcloney village; 432 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; school here in 1836 ; proprietor Marquis of Downshire in 1789 & 1836
V12 p 58 OSM; FR
Ballygurrianmore Clonduff . alternate spelling for Ballygorian More townland in Subsidy roll of 1663 PNNI V3 p 79

click here for Ballyh...-Ballym.....

click here for Ballyn...-Ballyw....