Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Burrenbridge Kilmegann parish
Ros Davies'
Co. Down, Northern Ireland Family History Research Site

© Rosalind Davies 2001
Permission granted to reprint research for non-profit use only
Bryansford

Place Names of Co. Down: Bac...- Balu....

Back...... Bale.......- Ballc....... Balle...... Balli....-Balln..... Ballo.....- Balu.....

For most places starting with Balle..... see under Bally.....

Place Name Parish Information
Backaderry Drumgooland a townland 6km NE of Ballyward village; 1763 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; in 1659 Census it was called Bakeaderry and there were 16 Catholic families here only;by 1841 Census there were 130 families with 369 males & 390 females; an old Mass Rock in this area; flax mill here in 1836 : Ribbonism march 25 Oct 1845; iron ore resources 18 Aug 1883 DCPH p 47,49,131; V3 p25 OSM: DR; DDPP p67
Backaderry House Drumgooland 29: 33/39 farm on the Leitrim River, 3km N of Castlewellan
Back Burn Bangor . near Bangor town & Rathgael Bangor p3
Back Castle (The) Mournes . a rock formation in Mourne Mountains PNNI V3 p 125
Back Hill Kilkeel . small farms in Dunnaval townland; leased by Hugh, James & Patrick Cunningham in 1863 from John Keown GV
Backnamullough Dromore 20: 22/56 a townland 2km NNE of Dromore; 463 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; half owned by church & Sir Art Magennis in 1609; old school here ; newer school in Aghnandunvarran townland built 1815 V12 p73, 95, 99 OSM; PNNI V6 p 108
Back Parks Killyleagh Scott family residence in 1875 V7 p140 OSM; MID p 140
Back Shore Ards . on the eastern coast of the Ards Peninsula; used for deep sea fishing in 1837
V7 p 88 OSM
Baden Cottsge Kilcoo . a house in Newcastle; residence of Robert Russell in 1910
POD
Baden House Kilcoo . a house in Newcastle; residence of A. Richmond in 1910
POD
Bagenal's Castle Newry . built by Sir Nicholas Bagenal in 1570 on the site of the 12th century Cistercian Abbey; currently under a 19th century warehouse of McCann's Victoria Bakery in Castle St, Newry; being restored
LR 2003 p 61; MO 28/3/2007 *
Bahernamaghery Killinchy . see Barnamaghery .
Baileys Bridge Maghera 29: 35/33 over Burren river NE of Bryansford; parish boundary
Baileysmill Drumbeg 20: 32/69 8km NW from Ballynahinch on the Lisburn road; in Drennan townland; Reformed Presbyterian church here
Bairdstown Ballywalter 21: 61/70 2km NW of Ballywalter; collection of 8-10 farms & cottages in 1834
PNNI V2 p 73 
Bairdstown
Tullylish
. farm; 1km SE of Gilford old b/w map F4
Baleyballynegre
Bangor
 . alternate name for Ballymagee townland in 1659 V17 p 123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 157
Balibodan Kilclief . name of an ancient chapel c. 1600 in Ballywoodan townland
O'L V1 p 203
Balilye Garvaghy . spelling used for Ballooly townland in 1659 census
PNNI V6 p 191
Ballackanall Moira . alternate spelling for Ballycanal townland in 1659 census
PNNI V6 p 280
Ballagh Bridge Kilkeel 29: 39/25 over Crock Horn Stream on coast 5km N of Annalong
Ballagh Park Kilkeel . 4km N of Annalong
old b/w map H16
Ballaghanery
Ballachanery
Kilkeel a townland of 457 acres; also known as The Passage of Ballaghanery, through the Mourne Mountains; good views; click here to see its location on a map; means ' pass of the shepherd'; held by Catholic church in 1615; ancient burial ground here
NWAG p23,37; O'L B p 323; PNNI V3 p 20; JMLSG 2010 p14
Ballaghanery Upper Kilkeel a townland of 1580 acres;an ancient Catholic chapel (St Marys) also called Killnahattin in this area; photo available; general graveyard here; click here to see its location on a map
GIC; O'L V1 p 11,14,28; KPCB p23,24
Ballaghbeg Kilcoo & Maghera a townland of 2510 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; Newcastle is in this townland; means the little pass'; held by Sir Arthur Magennis of Rathfriland in 1609 then William Hawkins in 1667; townland sold 1747 ,Magennis to Annesley;also in the Catholic parish of Maghera since 1785;transfered from Maghera to Kilcoo Anglican parish in 1833; Catholic & Presbyterian churches here; 2 schools built 1831;a spa well here in 1836; V3 p41,43 OSM: NWAG p5; KM; GIC; KPCB p28; PNNI V3 p 100, 104
Ballaghnecoglly
Clonallan
. alternate name for Ballyvally townland in 1659 census PNNI v1 p 63
Ballagin
Inishargy 
alternate spelling for Balliggan townland c. 1623 V17 p123 OSM
Ballalgo Newtownards alternate name for Ballyalicock townland in 1627 V17 p123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 217

Ballane

Dromore . see Balleny .
Ballard Newry  . horrible murder near Newry 14 Mar 1885 DR
Ballaughley Kilbroney . alternate spelling for Ballyagholy townland .
Ballcard Kilkeel . alternate name for Ballinran townland in 1540 PNNI V3 p 22
Balleardle Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Ballyardel townland in rent roll of 1688 PNNI V3 p 22
Balleblake Grey Abbey or Ballinepistragh; Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; grant by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie ; most possibly called Ballyblack now V17 p123 & V7 p68 OSM
Balleboghriskowe Grey Abbey Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; grant by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie ; most possibly called Ballyboghilbow now V17 p123 OSM
Ballebrene Grey Abbey . Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; most probably Ballybreen;grant by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie V7 p68 OSM
Ballecaflen Ards . Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; grant by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie V7 p68 OSM
Ballecairn Drumbo Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; grant by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie ; most possibly Ballycarn V17 p123 OSM
Ballecanleuor Ballykinler . alternate spelling for Ballynkinler parish in 1615 O'L B p 323
Ballecarlin Newtownards an ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; grant by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie ; most possibly Ballycullen now V17 p123 OSM
Ballederry
.Ballyphilip 
alternate name for Derry townland in 1623 V17 p123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 47
Balledrene Tullynakill . alternate spelling for Ballydrain townland in 1615 O'L B p 327
Ballee Ballee a parish; just SE of Downpatrick;click here for a map of the townlands in this parish; means ' town of the ford'; originally belonged to the Bishop of Down; there was an ancient church here in 1306; owned by Earl of Ardglass in 1669 & leased to Thomas Ward Esq,; in 1764 there were 84 members of Church of Ireland, 256 Presbyterians & 272 Catholics in the parish; Church of Ireland built 1749; Prebyterian church built 1732; the cottages in 1836 were all built of stone and thatched with small glass windows varying from 1 to 4 rooms; principal food is potatoes and oatmeal; school here in 1835; public meeting called by Richard Stitt to discuss famine relief 21 Jan 1847*; list of subscirbers to Ballee Relief Fund 1 Feb 1837*; relief notices 6 Apr 1847; progress report on famine relief by Richard Stitt 19 Aug 1847*; 8 families needed famine relig in Balle townland 19 Aug 1847; National School 20 Oct 1855; gossipings about Ballee parish 17 Oct 1868 ++ LM 1985 p 52; V17 p20, 22 OSM; LR 2005 p24; FCD S2 p 23, 24, 25; DR; O'L V1 p 184 , 189 & B p 140
Ballee House Ballee 21: 52/41 farm estate ;4km SE of Downpatrick;click here for a photo and more information
.
Balleevy Seapatrick . alternate spelling for Ballevy townland .
Ballefeneragh
Ballefunerergh
Witter . alternate spellings for Ballyfinragh townland in 1600s PNNI V2 p 124
Ballehenery Ardquin or Drumharned; Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; most probably Ballyhenry V17 p123 OSM
Balleiter Ballykinler . a house cluster in Middle Ballykinler townland
PE
Ballekilvilgan Ballyhalbert . alternate name for Black Abbey in 1623 PNNI V2 p 99
Ballela
Ballelly
Garvaghy a village & residence & farm of Monsignor McCartan in 1890s; Catholic chapel & school here; see under Ballooly MOF p5; PNNI V6 p193; DDPP p55,61
Ballemacathan Comber . alternate name for Ballymagaughey townland in 1615 O'L B p327
Ballemackley Newtownards or Tulleymuckley; Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down;grant by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie; possibly Crossnamuckley V17 p123 OSM
Ballemagarth
Kilkeel
. alternate spelling for Ballymagart townland in rent roll of 1688 PNNI V3 p 25
Ballemagough
Kilkeel
. alternate spelling for Ballymageogh townland in rent roll of 1688 PNNI V3 p 25
Ballemincock
Greyabbey. 
alternate name for Ballymurphy townland in 1623 V17 p122 OSM; PNNI V2 p 204
Balle Moenestraghe Kilmood . alternate spelling for Ballyministragh townland V7 p68 OSM
Ballemonestraduffe Ballyhalbert . alternate name for Black Abbey in 1623 PNNI V2 p 99
Ballemullen Bangor . alternate spelling for Ballymullan townland in 1659 census PNNI V2 p 159
Ballemurcock Greyabbey . alternate name for Ballymurphy townland in 1636 V7 p68 OSM; PNNI V2 p 204
Ballenagallbec Ardglass . alternate name for Ballykilbeg townland c. 1520 O'L B p 283, 284
Ballenaboyle,
the Cardie
Grey Abbey
21: 58/70
Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down;grant by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie; possibly called Cardy today V7 p68 OSM
Ballenahatten Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Ballynahatten tonwland in 1774 PNNI V3 p 27
Balleneddan Kilbroney . alternate spelling for Ballyneddan townland on Rent Roll of 1688 PNNI V1 p 142
Ballenellan Grey Abbey or Balleranellan; ancient townland in 17th century in East Down;grant by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie ;possibly Ballyurnanellan V17 p122 OSM
Ballencorry Kilbroney . alternate speling for Ballincurry townland in Rent Roll of 1731 PNNI V1 p 135
Ballenescore . . ancient townland in 17th century in East Down;grant by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie ' could be Ballyspurge V7 p68 OSM
Ballenestroth Aghaderg . alternate name of Ballynakseag townland in 1615 O'L B p 326
Ballengrevagoin Ballyphillip  . or Ballagin; Ancient townland in 17th century in East Down;grant by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie ;could possibly be Ballygarvigan V17 p123 OSM
Balleno Donaghadee . alternate spelling for Ballynoe townland in 1659 census PNNI V2 p 185
Ballenocross Donaghadee . alternate spelling for Ballycross townland in 1659 census PNNI V2 p 182
Balleny Dromore 20: 19/51 2km SW of Dromore;817 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; school here in 1836; means ' Heaney's townland'; church lands until 1868; residence of William Harrison, owner of Dromore Castle in 1888; Arian/Non- Subscribing Presbyterian church built here 1724 V12 p73 OSM; MSWAG p25; V 19 MIs;GIC; PNNI V6 p 110
Balleoran Inch tithes paid to Catholic church in 1615; land & tithes granted to Lord Clandeboy in 1629 V17 p133 OSM; O'L B p 326
Balleran Kilbroney &
Kilkeel
. alternate spelling for Ballinran townland on Rent Roll of 1688 PNNI V1 p 138 & V3 p 22
Balleranellan Grey Abbey alternate spelling for Ballyurnanellan townland V17 p122 OSM
Ballerea
Newtownards
. alternate spelling for Ballyreagh townland in 1659 census PNNI V2 p 223
Ballerie
Bangor
. alternate spelling for Ballyree townland in 1661 PNNI V2 p 159
Ballerogan
Kilkeel
. alternate spelling for Ballyrogan townland in rent roll of 1688 PNNI V3 p 27
Ballethoniam
Bright
. alternate spelling for Coniamstown townland in 1615 O'L B p 322
Balletullegrange
Inishargy 
. alternate name for Gransha townland c. 1615 V17 p123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 90
Balleurgegan Inishargy land & tithes granted to Lord Clandeboy in 1629; possibly Ballyobegan V17 p133 OSM
Balleveregan Rathmullan . alternate name for Ballyorgan townland in 1615 O'L B p 322
Ballevranellan Greyabbey . alternate spelling for Ballyurnanellan in 1636 V7 p68 OSM' PNNI V2 p 205
Ballevy
Balleevy
Ballievey
Seapatrick 20: 15/45 3km SE of Banbridge;476 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'approach to a pleasant ford'; owned by Edward Trevor in 1618; tenants were Thomas & George Crawford & H. McMurdock in 1836; Ballevy House here, estate of N.C. Whyte Esq.in 1836; mills of Lord Dungannon here; suspension bridge built here over River Bann V12 p123,126, 133 OSM; old b/w map G7; PNNI V6 p 304; OB p41
Ballevy House
Seapatrick . residence of Walter Crawford in 1824 & George Crawford in 1910 POD
Ballewatecock Newtownards alternate spelling for Ballywatticock townland in 1659 census V17 p123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 225
Ballievey Seapatrick . alternate spelling for Ballevy townland .

Balliggan
Balliggin

Inishargy 21; 62/65 4km SW of Ballywalter; 303 acres;means ' O'Higgins townland' ; granted by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie c. 1623; in 1659 there were 7 English/Scots & 3 Catholic families here; Inishargy parish church is in this townland; a wind driven flax mill in 1836 V7 p5, 85 & V17 p123, 125 OSM;SP; PNNI V2 p 86
Ballillymore Garvaghy see Balloolymore V12 p81 OSM
Ballilurgan Kilclief . name of an ancient chapel & rectory in 1661; in Ballywoodan townland O'L V1 p 203
Ballimahattin Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Ballynahatten townland in 1804 PNNI V3 p 27
Ballinabragget Donaghcloney alternate spelling for Ballynabragget townland V12 p60 OSM
Ballinafern Annaclone 29: 17/39 or Ballynafern;3km SW of Annaclone village; large hill 537 ft; school here in 1836; 778 acres; proprietor Charles Douglass Esq. in 1836 V12 p13, 15, 16, 19 OSM
Ballinafoy Annaclone 20: 15/40 or Ballynafoy;3km W of Annaclone village; 901 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the green'; large hill 612 ft ;an ancient clan meeting spot & Mass Rock ; Cave Hill here ; proprietor William S Crawford Esq. In 1836 V12 p13141516 OSM; PNNI V6 p 66 ; DDPP p133
Ballinagoppoge Clonduff  . alternate spelling for Ballynagoppoge townland V3 p4 OSM
Ballinagross Ballee alternate spelling for Ballynagross townland V17 p20 OSM
Ballinahatten Kilkeel alternate spelling for Ballynahatten townland TU p121
Ballinahatty Drumbo . alternate spelling for Ballynahatty townland .
Ballinamorna Kilkeel 29: 26/19 on the slopes of The Mournes, 5km NNW of Kilkeel
PNNI V3 p 56 
Ballinany Annaclone . spelling for Ballynanny townland c. 1824
PNNI V6 p 67
Ballinapistragh Grey Abbey . alternate name for Ballyblack townland in 1627
V7 p68 OSM
Ballinarry Saul- a detached townland 21: 57/45 5km S of Strangford town; 366 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; Brannigan family in 1880s; also spelt Ballynarry
Ballinatagart Aghaderg 29: 11/40 also spelt Ballintaggart; 3km S of Loughbrickland; 503 acres; means 'priest's townland'; click here to see its location on a townland map V12 p1 OSM
Ballinaulta
Newtownards 
alternate name for Ballyhaft townland in 1623 V17 p123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 220
Ballinavalley
Drumbo
. see Ballynavally .
Ballinchole ancient townland in 17th century in East Down;granted by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie c. 1623 V17 p123 OSM
Ballincleave
Ballinclave
Ballyculter alternate spelling for Ballintlieve townland .
Ballincrag Newry . alternate spelling for Ballynacraig townland PNNI V1 p 9

Ballincurry Ballincurry Upper

Kilbroney 260 acres & 52 acres;on the shore, 5km SE of Rostrevor; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the bog'; ancient Mass stone here; originally belonged to Donald & James McYawne then Nicholas Bagnall in 1568 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; the proprietor was Mr Buston in 1836 V3 p31 OSM;DDPP p120; PNNI V1 p 135; MO 5/8/2009 p6
Ballincurry River Kilbroney 29: 21/16 rises on Slievefadda and flows SE into Carlingford Lough near Seafield
Ballinderry Lower Blaris In 1836 applotter was John Gawley & appraiser was James Johnston; Thomas B Reford & John Turtle were to repair and widen Magee's town Lane in Tannyballydonnell & levied off Lower Ballinderry tithes; weavers meeting 15 Oct 1842 near Moira V12 p404, 142 OSM : DR
Ballinderry Upper Blaris In 1836 applotter was Howe Higginson & appraiser was Turtle Bunton;letter to Henry Peel & George Higginson to repair that part of the Old Templecormack Road between the burying place and William Maxwell's gate & to be levied off Upper Ballinderry's tithes V12 p404, 142 OSM
Ballindoalty Kilbroney on the shore of Carlingford Lough; 212 acres; click here to see its location on a map; means ' An Dubhaltach's townland'; originally owned by Donald & James McYawne then Nicholas Bagnall in 1568; owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; proprietor Mr R. & Mr J Small & J. Dickey in 1836 V3 p283, 132 OSM; PNNI V1 p 136 ; MO 5/8/2009 p6
Ballindoalty Upper
Kilbroney
. 6km SE of Rostrevor; 78 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map .
Ballineboyle the Cardie
Grey Abbey 
21: 58/70
ancient townland in 17th century in East Down;grant by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie ; possibly called Cardy today V17 p122 & V7 p 68 OSM
Ballinegapke Clonduff . alternate name foe Ballynagappoge townland in 1659 census PNNI V3 p 80

Ballinegrange
Ballinigrange

Grey Abbey ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; grant by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie ;also called Killenanaghe & Tullymuckly;could possibly be Ballygrangee V17 p123 & V7 p68 OSM
Ballinekenidd Kilcoo . an alternate name for Ballymoney townland c. 1610 PNNI V3 p 71
Ballinepistragh Grey Abbey or Balleblake; ancient townland in 17th century in East Down;grant by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie ;most possibly called Ballyblack now V17 p123 OSM
Ballineskeagh Aghaderg Bishops land £2 in 1744; see Ballynaskeagh V17 p118 OSM
Ballingossop Clonduff see Ballynagoppoge V3 p4 OSM
Ballingowen Aghaderg .
see Ballygowan
.
Ballinlare Newry
a townland just SW of Newry town; 265 acres; in Co Armagh ; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'townland of the gap';
PNNI V1 p 7
Ballinlogh Donaghcloney . spelling for Ballynabragget townland in s deed of 1719
PNNI V6 p 87
Ballinmacoraham Moira . alternate name fo Ballymagaraghan townland on Rent Roll of 1692
PNNI V6 p 283
Ballinran Kilbroney . a townland on the shore 3km SE of Rostrevor ; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'townland of the point'; originally owned by Donald & James McYane then Nicholas Bangall in 1568 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; coastguard watch & boat house here in 1863
PNNI V1 p 137 ; MO 5/8/2009 p6;GV
Ballinran Upper

Kilbroney

29:29/21 
a townland 3km SE of Rostrevor; 80 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map
Ballinran

Kilkeel

29:30/19 
townland of 195 acres; 4km N of Kilkeel; 890 acres; click here to see its location on a map ; means ' townland of the ferns' ; part of the Bangenal Estate in 1552; stone here where Priest Magrorey was stabbed to death trying to seetle a dispute in a football match 1670; proprietor D. Ross Esq. Lodge in 1836; V3 p31 OSM: CM; O'L V1 p 18;PNNI V3 p 21
Ballinran Upper Kilkeel-part . a townland on the slopes of The Mournes, 8km W of Annalong; 550 acres; click here to see its location on a map
Ballinree Burn Killinchy 21: 48/60 runs through Killinchy & into Strangford Lough
Ballinseagh Newtownards ancient townland in 17th century in East Down; grant by King Charles 1st to Hugh, Viscount Montgomerie ;see Movilla V17 p123 OSM
Ballintaggart
Ballinatagart
Aghaderg 29: 11/40 a townland of 503 acres; 3km S of Loughbrickland ; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the priest'; owned by the Bishop of Dromore, held by Shane McBrin in 1611 V12 p 81 OSM; PNNI V6 p 23, 24
Ballintanpany
Ballintimpany
Magheradrool . ancient names for Magheratimpany townland
DR* 9/10/1970
Ballintemple Newry . rrsidence of Rev. Henry Boyd, rector of Rathfriland in 1821
CSO
Ballintine Blaris 20: 26/63 a townland 1km SW of Lisburn; 190 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map
Ballintleyne Ardquin . alternate name for Thomastown tonwland in 1661 PNNI V2 p 36
Ballintlieve
Ballinclave
Ballyculter a townland 2km W of Strangford; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by the Southwell Estate in 1752; owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford & Lord Bangor in 1836; high rocky soil partly uncultivated; residence of the Rogan, McGreevy, Cooper, Hynds, Wright families late 1800s LM 1881 p26; V17 p30 OSM; Inv 1997 p 3; Inv 2010 p3 (OS map 1830s)
Ballintober
Ballintubber
Bright . 4km NW of Killough; means ' town of the well'; Catholic church here old b/w map N15; O'L V1 p 148
Ballintogher
Ballintougher
Saul 21: 51/48 a townland 4km NE of Downpatrick on the Strangford road; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' town of the causeway'; site of an ancient church called Ballybrene;where St Patrick landed c. 432; owned by Nuns of Down in 1615; owned by the Southwell Estate in 1752 & leased to Cromwell Price Esq.; corn mill & school here in 1836; owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford & Francis Savage Esq. in 1836 V17 p111, 114, 115 OSM;LM 1991 p25; O'L V1 p 224 & B p 284, 322; Inv 2003 p41
Ballintur Kilbroney 29: 22/15 a townland on the shores of Carlingford Lough, 5km SE of Rostrevor;226 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' townland of the bush'; ancient Mass stone here in Fitzsimmons' Braes; owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; proprietor Lord Kilmorey in 1836 V3 p32 OSM; DDPP p120; CM; MO 5/8/2009 p6; PNNI V1 p 138
Ballintur Upper
Kilbroney
. a townland 6km SE of Rostrevor; 140 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map .
Balliruggan
Kilkeel
. alternate spelling for Ballyrogan townland in 1663 Subsidy Roll PNNI V3 p 27
Ballisciagh
Aghaderg
  spelling for Ballynaskeagh townland in 1659 Census PNNI V6 p 25
Ballnamgrange
Donaghadee 
alternate name for Grangee townland in 1623 V17 p123 OSM; PNNI V2 p 191
Balloo
Ballow
Bangor
15:52/79 
a townland of 533 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Hugh's townland'; in 1659 there were 6 English/Scots & 4 Catholic families here; 12 acres of uncultivated land in 1836;railway line here in 1863 V17 p123, 124 & V7 p19 OSM;SP; BM; PNNI V2 p 150;GV
Balloo House
Ballow House
Bangor . house & farm of 108 acres; 3km S of Bangor town; in possession of Nicholson family since 1641; main house of 18th -early 19th century date; residence of Miss Susanna Nicholson in 1729; held in fee by Robert S. Nicholson in 1863; residence of Mrs Nicholson in 1901; burnt by vandals & pulled down c. 1970; Mausoleum gravestones UHF Vol 17 V7 p23 OSM; old b/w map W7; Burke's Landed Gentry Vol2 p934 (1847); GV;POD; MIs
Balloo Lower Bangor
15:55/83
1km SE of Groomsport; click here to see its location on a townland map PNNI V2 p 150
Balloo Killinchy a townland of 474 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ;means 'Hugh's townland' ;had a gravel pit near the mill consisting of slate, greywacke & quartz ;Presbyterian meeting house here ;infanticide 17 Mar 1877 V7 p86, 88, 91 OSM: DR; GIC
Balloo Cross Roads Killinchy 21: 49/61 in Killinchy town
Balloo House Killinchy . a 2 storey Georgian house, which stands at the corner where the road from Ardmillan joins the road to Comber in the townland of Balloo; keystone above the front door reads 'built by David Lowry 1809 AD'; photos & more information available LM 1991 p26-31
Ballooly
Ballully
Ballella
Garvaghy  . a townland of 428 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' stony place'; church lands, ;school in ploughman’s cottage established 1834; Catholic chapel here; woods; resident proprietor Roger Maginnis Esq. in 1836; rents at 42 shillings an acre;2 mills, one for shelling corn in 1836; also spelt Ballela & Ballyilly V12 p80, 82,83,113 & 3 p 111 OSM; V5 MIs; GIC; PNNI V6 p 191, 192; DDPP p55
Ballooly House Garvaghy 20: 19/48 farm estate ; 2km SW of Garvaghy village;residence of Roger Maginnis Esq. in 1822 & 1836
DDPP p53; V12 p80 OSM  
Balloolymore
Ballyillymore
Garvaghy 20: 19/43 a townland 8km E of Banbridge; 916 acres:click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' large townland of stony place'; corn & flax mill here in 1836; standing stones;Tenant Rights agitation 29 Mar 1851 V12 p80, 81 OSM; PNNI V6 p 193
Balloonigan Moira a townland 1km E of Moira town; 154 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' O'Donegan's townland; lowest part of the parish; proprietor Sir. R Bateson in 1836 V12 p109, 120 OSM; PNNI V6 p 279
Ballotheneirry Kilkeel . alternate name for Ballaghanery townland in 1615 O'L B p 323

Ballow

Bangor see Balloo .
Ballow Lower Bangor a townland of 383 acres; 3km E of Bangor
BM
Ballow Killinchy . see Balloo .
Balluley Garvaghy . alternate spelling for Ballooly townland PNNI V6 p 193
Ballvree Bangor . farm; 2km SE of Bangor BM
Bally....... . . click here for Ballya....- Ballyl.... & click here for Ballym....- Ballyw.... .
Balumigan Moira . alternate spelling for Balloonigan townland in 1659 census PNNI V6 p279