Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Annadorn Dolmen
Ros Davies'
Co. Down, Northern Ireland Family History Research Site

© Rosalind Davies 2001
Permission granted to reprint research for non-profit use only
Ballycran Catholic graveyard, Ardkeen

Place Names of Co. Down: A......

Ab- Ai Al - AnAr- AsAt- Au
Place Names Parish Map Ref Information Reference

Abbacie
or Abbacy

Ardquin 21: 58/55 house; 3km NNW of Portaferry; former residence of Bishop Echlin c. 1630s; destroyed by Cromwells's troops; Church of Ireland here V17 p126 OSM; old b/w mpa T15; PNNI V2 p 36
Abbey (The) Kilkeel . house & farm of 41 acres in Magheramurphy townland; leased by Thomas Gibson Henry in 1863 from Kilmorey Estate GV
Abbey (The) Newry . residence of Robert Dempster in 1876 & John McCullagh in 1886 MC; POD
Abbey View Bangor . residence of W.C. Seyers in 1901
POD
Abbeyview Magheradrool . farm; 5km NE of Ballynahinch
old b/w mapP11
Abercorn Hotel Bangor . in Quay St, Bangor, overlooking Bangor Bay;built 1870 OS map 1902 2.05
Abingdon Holywood . house; on Demesne Road;built end 19th century; residence of Henry Davis in 1901; Lieut Col. C.F. Potter 1933-1940s then a nursing home & demolished in 1995; b/w photo available
NDM p 43
Achadericke Aghaderg . ancient name for Aghaderg .
Achrim Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Aughrim townland in Subsidy Roll of 1663
PNNI V3 p 20
Acre McCricket Kilclief  . a townland 1km N of Kilclief village; 4 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map
Acreville Down . in Downpatrick residence of E. Parkinson in 1910
POD ; LR 2010 p80
Acton Aghaderg  . residence of Edward Lucas Esq. in 1824
POD
Acton House Aghaderg  . residence of William Hanna Esq. in 1824
POD
Adair's Bridge Saintfeld . 1km E of Saintfield
old b/w map P9
Adamnan's Cross Saul . or Croshihonan; a large stone on Ballyculter Road marking boundary of old churchlands
O'L V1 p 223
Adamstown Castleboy . alternate name for Ballyadam townland in 1605
O'L V1 p 416; PNNI V2 p 78
Adavoyle/ Adavoil Newry . near Newry in Drumintee townland, Co.Armagh; residence of Robert Turner in 1820 & Owen McCorey in 1901
CSO; Irish World NY
Addisbrae Holywood . in Palmerston Road; residence of James Thompson in 1902
POD
Adelaide Cottage Magheradrool . 2km SE of Ballynahinch
old b/w map M 10
Adnughanshehagh Drumballyroney . spelling used for Annahunshigo in 1659 Census
PNNI V6 p 153
Agency (The) Newry . address of Peter Quinn J.P. in 1886 POD
Aghacullion Kilcoo just NW of Bryansford; 214 acres; also in the Catholic parish of Maghera since 1785; click here to see its location on a townland map; held by Brian Magennis in 1609 then Edward Trevor
Kilcoo map ; PNNI V3 p 99; HCDTD p141; WDG p64

Aghaderg/ Aghadericke/ Aghaderrig

Aghaderg a parish name in SW Co. Down on the Co. Armagh border; means "Red Field" because of all the bloody battles fought here around 1585; frequently called Loughbrickland in 1834; main towns in this parish are Scarva & Loughbrickland; the Dane's Cast runs through this parish V12 p1 OSM: BIH p 9:PNNI V6 p 21
Aghadroma
Aghandrumman
Moira . alternate spellings for Aughnadrumman townland on Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V6 p 277
Aghagallon Blaris parish name in Co. Antrim ; constable Thomas Montgomery wrote to Henry Barns & Henry McCorry to repair Derryhanahan Lane from the main road to Lord Hertford's great moss & to be levied off Aghagallon (1836) V12 p 40,42,43 OSM; PNNI V6 p 273
Aghagun Clonallan alternate spelling for Aughnagun townland .
Aghalee Blaris a parish in Co. Antrim; applotters John Turtle & Robert Smyth; appraisers Edward Falloon & John Rollins Senior;constable William Waters writes to William Watters & John Campbell to repair Kidd's Lane leading from Aghalee to Lisburn & to be levied off Aghalee, Aghagallon & Lower Ballinderry (1836) V12 p40,42,43 OSM
Aghamoira Clonallan . see Aghnamoira .
Aghandunvarran Hillsborough 20: 23/56 613 acres; see Aughnadunvarran .
Aghavilly
Aughavilly
Aughavilla
Clonallan 29: 15/22 a townland on the slopes of The Mournes, 4km N of Warrenpoint; 419 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' field of the scared tree'; granted to Canon Peter McGwyryn of Dromore in 1435; the proprietor 1810- 1891 was Narcissus Batt then his son, Robert & grandson Robert ; 300 people assembled unlawfully on a hill here 31 Jan 1852
PNNI V1 p 56; NR 30/6/2005 p67; DR*
Aghavilly Lodge Clonallan . 2km NE of Warrenpoint; residence of William Watson in 1862
old b/w map C11; POD
Aghedericke Aghaderg . spelling used for Aghaderg in 1659 Census
PNNI V6 p 21
Aghegeigh Clonallan . alternate name for Donaghaguy townland in Rent Roll of 1692
PNNI V1 p 75
Aghenury Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Aughnahoory townland in Subsudy Roll of 1663
PNNI V3 p 18
Aghevackan Donaghcloney . an ancient hamlet name in Corcreeny townland in 1609; means' field of the parsnip'
PNNI V6 p 91
Aghillfosket Moira . alternate spelling for Aughnafosker townland in 1716
PNNI V6 p 278
Agilasnafin /Aghlisnafin Kilmegan . alternate spelling for Aughlisnafin townland .
Aghnacloy
Aughnacloy
Annaclone 20: 19/43 a townland ; 9km E of Banbridge; 114 acres; means ' ford of the stone'; click here to see its location on a townland map; held by O'Sheil family in 1527; flax mill here in 1836; proprietor Councillor Hanna; 2 mills in 1836 ; golf club 1888 V12 p14,16,18 OSM; DDPP p132; NWAG p 33 .
Aghnacloy Shankill  . also spelt Aughnacloy, part of this parish is in Co Armagh
Aghnadunvarran Hillsborough . see Aughnadunvarran
Aghnahury Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Aughnahoory townland in 1659 census
PNNI V3 p 18
Aghnaleck Annahilt . 671 acres; see Aughnaleck .
Aghnaleck House Hillsborough 20: 29/59 in Cabragh townland  .
Aghnalinsegagh Drumballyroney . spelling used for Annahunshigo in Rent Roll of 1692 PNNI V6 p 153
Aghnamoira
Aghnemibragll
Aghnemulleragh
Aghnematragh
Clonallan 29: 11/22 a townland of 565 acres; overlooking Newry River, 3 km NW of Warrenpoint; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' field of the dismantled earthern fort; owned by Joseph Deane in 1661 & leased by Richard Babe; formerly Clonallan parish until 1825; near Mill Pond; V3 p115 OSM; PNNI V1 p 53, 57
Aghnanoone Donaghcloney . see Annaghanoon PNNI V6 p 84
Aghnatooby Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Aughnaloopy townland in 1659 census PNNI V3 p 19
Aghnatrisk Blaris 20: 21/60 a townland 6km SW of Lisburn; 277 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; a list of charity subscribers in 1836 V12 p107 OSM
Aghnegone Clonallan . alternate spelling for Aughnagon townland in 1659 census PNNI V1 p 59
Aghnekenny Aghaderg . an ancient townland of 105 acres; owned by John Barrett; became part of Drummiller in Tullylish PNNI V6 p 327, 328, 339
Aghoderick Aghaderg ancient name of Aghaderg parish in 1698 V12 p4 OSM

Aghyhogill
Aghyogill
Aghyall

Kilkeel a townland of 195 acres ; 1km N of Mill Bay; click here to see its location on a map; means ' field of the yew wood'; part of the Bagenal Estate in 1522 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; in 1659 there were 3 English/Scots & 9 Irish people living here & it waas owned by Oatrick Modder O'Howen Esq.
CM; SP; PNNI V3 p 10, 17; MO 5/8/2009 p6
Aghrim
Aghryn
Kilkeel . alternate spellings for Aughrim townland in rent roll of 1540 & 1659 census
.SP
Aghyall Kilkeel . ancient spelling for Aghyoghill townland in 1659 census
SP
Aghy Cauin Donaghmore . alternate spelling for Aughnacaven townland in 1659 census
PNNI V1 p 91
Agnes Vale Hillsborough . farm; 3km NE of Hillsborough town; residence of John Henderson in 1824, a miller
old b/w map M5; POD
Agnews Corner Dromore . at Gill Hall; story about ghosts wher the servansy entered the house
PNNI V6 p 147
Ailsa Lodge
Holywood
.
house & garden in Craigavad townland ;leased by Matilda Goddard in 1863 from James McCutcheon
GV
Ailsa View Bangor . villa in Seacliff Rd, Bangor; residence of Hugh Hobson in 1901 POD
Ahnatooby Kilkeel . ancient spelling for Aughnaloopy
SP
Alark hill Donaghadee . coast guard station in 1843
POD
Albert Villa Holywood . 2 residences in Sydenham Park in 1902
POD
Albert Villas Holywood . 2 residences in Victoria Road in 1902
POD
Albert Villa Knockbreda . at 300 Ravenhill Rd, East Belfast; residence of Mrs Elizabeth Wylie in 1902
POD
Alderside Knockbreda 21: 40/70 farm; 4km S of Dundonald
Alexandra House Comber . residence of James McMorran in 1912
POD
Alexandra Villas Holywood . 2 residences in Victoria Road in 1902
POD
Alleybrook House Dundonald . residence of Mrs Dillon in 1852
POD
Alma House Holywood . house & garden in Holywood Rd, Ballymisert townland; leased by Richard H. Reid in 1863 from Thomas Bell; residence of Mrs Emily Turner in 1902
GV;POD
Alma Terrace
Holywood
.
house & 19 acres in Ballygrainey townland; leased by Alexander Cooley in 1863 from rep. Robert S. Kennedy
GV
Alpha Kilkeel . in Annalong; residence of John Orr in 1910
POD
Altadua Lough Kilcoo 29: 31/35 small lake 2km SW of Castlewellan on the Kilcoo road
Altafort Dromore 20: 23/50 farm in Skeagh townland; 5km SE for Dromore ; residence of William Cowan Heron in 1822 & C. Herron Esq., magistrate in 1836
V12 p72 OSM ; Registry of Deeds, Dublin; MIs; PNNI V6 p 145
Altamont Bangor
.
villa in Princetown Rd, Bangor; residence of Archibald Thomson in 1901
POD
Altar Park Kilmore . an old Mass station ; in Patrick Smyth's field in Cluntagh townland c. 1870
O'L V1 p 338
Albert Hotel Seapatrick
.
in Newry St, Banbridge; proprietor in 1910 was David McKee
POD
Albert Villas Knockbreda . 2 semi detached houses in Kings Rd, Knock; residence of J. Wilson & Herald Cuthbert in 1902
POD
Altataggart Mountain Clonduff 29: 23/24 part of The Mournes 4km SE of Hilltown; means ' mountain of the priest'; photo available
PNNI V3 p 125 ; CP 17/5/2012 
Altnadua Kilmegan in Castlewellan; photo available at Transport Museum MSWAG p 90
Altnadua House Kilmegan . 2km SW of Castlewellan old b/w map I 12
Altnaveigh
Altnaveagh
Newry a townland 2km SW of Newry town; in Co. Armagh; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means ' the glen of the ravens' ; highest point in parish 1109 ft; originally owned by the O'Hanlons then by Sir Nicholas Bagnall in 1575, granted to Callogh McDonnell in 1611 V3 p61 OSM; PNNI V1 p 6
Altnaveitgh House Newry . residence of Henry Thomson in 1886 POD
Altorf Holywood . in Holywood Rd, Strandtown near Sydenham Park; residence of John Magee in 1902
POD
Ambleside Bangor  . villa in Ward Ave, Bangor; residence of Samuel Brown in 1901 POD
Ambrose Villa Holywood . in Victoria Road; residence of James Dick in 1902
POD
America Newtownards
.
house & farm of 4 acres in Tullynagardy townland; leased by David Dempster in 1863 from Marquis of Londonderry GV
America Newtownards . house & farm of 15 acres in Whitespots townland; leased by Hugh Dickson in 1863 from Marquis of Londonderry
GV
America House Kilmegan . an emporium in Castlewellan owned by the Stewarts ; became the Ukster Bank in 1920s
CTHT 13
Americam Kilkeel 29: 26/11 farm, on Cranfield Bay, 6km SW of Kilkeel; means ' crcooked ridge'
CM ; PNNI V3 p 54
Amo's Vale Kilbroney . house & farm of 94 acres in Drumsesk townland ; leased by Edward Cureis in 1863 from Very Rev. Dean Carter
GV
Anacloan Annaclone old spelling for Annaclone on 1802 & 1810 map V12 p13 OSM
Anacram Hill Kilmore . in Drumnaconnor townland; mention in leases of 3 Nov 1770 Register of Deeds
Anadhrohall Shankill see Annaghdroghal V12 p139 OSM
Anadorne Loughinisland . alternate spelling for Annadorn townland DDW p 13
Anaghban Donaghmore . alternate spelling for Annaghbane townland in 1659 census PNNI V1 p 89
Anaghell Loughinisland . possibly a Catholic parish name in Dunturk area in 1704 O'L B p 505
Anaghdoloun Saintfield . an ancient parish & church near Saintfield; means ' church of the meadow surrounded by marsh' SHM '98 p 78; O'L V1 p 373
Anaghlone
Anaghanown
Annaclone see Annaclone PNNI V6 p 62
Analong Kilkeel .
alternate spelling for Annalong town in 1659 census
PNNI V3 p 54
Anchorage (The) Kilbroney . house & garden in Church St, Rostrevor , leased by Mary J. Innes in 1863 from David Ross ; residence of Miss Innis in 1910
GV ;POD
Anchorage (The) Kilkeel . near Annalong; residence of Capt. Andrews in 1910
POD
Anchor Beacon Kilclief .
navigation marker; photo available
LM 2002 p 8,9
Anchor Lodge Kilcoo .
house in Newcastle;residence of William Hickland, engineer in 1901 & Mrs J. Warne in 1910
NWAG p41; POD
Angeltown Clonduff .
4km E of Rathfriland; small collection of houses
old b/w map F12
Angus Rock
Anguis Rock
Angwys Rock
Witter
21:61/45 
at the entrance to Strangford Lough; the bar which connects Angus Rock/ Rock Angus to the mainland joins it at Bar Hill Bay; the bar is not passable at low tide; at the entrance to Strangford Lough; need for lighthouse 7 Mar 1846; lighthouse built 1846l lighthouse 6 Feb 1875; stranding of vessel "Glenure" on Angus Rock 28 Feb 1880; problems with lighthouse 27 Jul 1901; email me for a poem about Angus Rock
V7 p 125 OSM;BB p 2DR; DR*; Inv 2001 p 22; PNNI V2 p 135; LM 2002 p 8; JUAHS p30; LR 2005 p27
Anker Lodge Knockbreda . a house; on the eastern side of Ormeau demesne; 2km S of Ballymacarret V7 p98 OSM

Annacloan

Annaclone

Annaclone 20: 18/41 a parish; 7km N of Rathfriland; the River Bann runs through the parish; means ' marsh of the haunch-like hill'; meeting of the Anaghlone Volunteers 5 Jan 1793; there were neither towns nor villages in this parish in 1836 ; 3 schools & 3 churches in this parish there then; click here to see a parish townland map; riot 21 Mar 1846; NS: V12 p13 OSM; DR; PNNI V6 p 62;DDPP p132
Annaclone Down stone quarry in 1836 V17 p38 OSM
Anacloy or
Annacloy
Blaris 20: 23/60 a townland of 195 acres; 4km SW of Lisburn; click here to see its location on a townland map click here to see a list of charity subscribers from 1836; Methodist church here V12 p107 OSM; GIC
Annacloy Inch 21: 44/49 a townland of 1152 acres; 4km NW of Downpatrick on Ballynahinch road;click here to see its location on a map; means 'ford of the stone'; click here for a photo and more information LR2009 p51
Annacloy River Inch 21: 44/46 flows into the Quoile river at Downpatrick  
Annadale Knockbreda  . house in Down near Belfast; residence of James Trail Kennedy Esq. in 1818 & Alexander McDonnell in 1852 & Mrs. Isabella Lynn in 1878 Registry of Deeds, Dublin; POD ; MIs
Annadorn Donaghcloney  . 31 acre bog; proprietor Rev H. Waring in 1836 , good soil V12 57, 58 OSM
Annadorn
Anadorne
Loughinisland 21: 43/45 a townland 1km SE of Loughinisland village; 646 acres;click here to see its location on a map; click here for an old photo of the village, the ancient dolmen and more information .
Annagh Bride Saintfield . in Tullywest townland; between ancient Ahaghdoloun & Tonaghnieve
SHM '98 p 78
Annagh Hill Loughinisland 21: 40/49 1km E of Drumaness village
Annaghanarva Annaclone 29: 17/30 a townland 2km SW of Annaclone village, in Lisnasliggan townland; means' marsh of the corn'; a hill overlooking Monteith Lake
PNNI V6 p 74
Annaghanoon Donaghcloney 20: 11/53 a townland 3km W of Donaghcloney town; 635 acres;means ' marsh of the lamb'; click here to see its location on a townland map; the proprietor in 1836 was Rev. H. Waring; good quality land; rents from £1-2 an acre; crops were wheat, potatoes, oats, clover; marsh in centre of townland
V12 p58 OSM ; PNNI V6 p 84
Annaghanoon House Donaghcloney 20: 11/53 farm; 3km SW of Donaghcloney town

Annaghbane
Annabann Annaghbann

Donaghmore 29: 12/36 a townland 7km S of Loughbrickland; 264 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' white bog' ; 35 acres of bog; 79 ft above sea level; bridge over canal here ; originally owned by Magennis clan; Mr Carsewell a farmer near Four Mile House threatened by armed band 15 Jan 1870; Annaghbane House here V3 p8 OSM; DR; PNNI v1 p 88
Annaghclone Annaghclowan Annaclone  . ancient name for Annaclone parish in 1610 patent & map of Down in 1743 V12 p13 OSM

Anadraghall Annaghdroghal

Shankill means “big marsh’; there is a bridge over the Lagan Navigation Canal here, in Kilmore townland ; residence of John Elliott in 1760 V12 p139 OSM; old b/w map J1; IIW V4 p39
Annaghmakeonan
Anaghmekeonan
Donaghcloney a townland 3km S of Donaghcloney village; 378 acres; means McKeonan's marsh'; ;click here to see its location on a townland map; the proprietor in 1836 was Marquis of Downshire whose agent was William E. Reilly Esq. of Hillsborough; rents were £1.1.0 an acre V12 p58 OSM; PNNI V6 p 85
Annaghmore Magheradroll 20: 37/49 a hill near Spa; family home of the Thompson family in 1710
BPCR.b
Annahilt
Annahilt 20: 29/56 parish name & village on the Hillsborough to Ballynahinch road; means 'marsh of the doe' ; school here in 1836 ; click here to see a townland map; Annahilt Band of Hope 2 Mar 1867 V12 p100 OSM ; DR
Annahilt House
Annahilt . near Hillsborough; residence of Dr. William Thompson in 1886 POD
Annahilt Drumballyroney shores of lake; means 'marsh of the doe'; 106 acres of bog V3 p 10, 11, 14 OSM
Annahunshigo Annahunchigo
Annahinchago
Drumballyroney . a townland 4km SE of Ballyroney village; 553 acres;means' ash-tree marsh'; click here to see its location on a townland map; Hunshigo Lake here PNNI V6 p 153
Annalong Dromara  . former name of Dromara V12 p68 OSM
Annalong Kilkeel 29: 37/20 fishing village; 7km NE of Kilkeel; means ' ford of the ships';click here for a photo and more information .
Annalong Cottage Kilkeel . residence of Rev. Alexander Dudgeon in 1863
POD
Annalong River & Bridge Kilkeel 29:34/23 rises near Slieve Beg in The Mournes and runs SE into the Irish Sea at Annalong village; the one-arched bridge over the river is 90 by 21 feet and 30 feet above the stream
V3 p49 OSM
Annalong Wood Kilkeel 29: 34/24 large forest in The Mournes, 4km NW of Annalong village
Annefield House
Annsfield
Killyleagh . farm; just SW of Killyleagh town; residence of James Hay in 1886 old b/w map R13; POD
Annesborough Annesbury Killyleagh in Corporation townland; Reading Society 15 Oct 1864 DR
Anne's Grave Bright . at the crossraods; 5km NW of Killough old b/w map N16
Annesley Arms Hotel Kilcoo . in Newcastle, erected by Earl Annesley in 1830 on the site of the old castle; proprietor in 1893 was Peter Trousdale WDG p57,148
Annesley Memorial Hall Kilcoo . in the harbour area of Newcastle; erected to the memory of Dowager Countess Annesley who died Apr 1891; Reading Society met here in 1893; public meetingfs held here 1911; now the home of the Glee Singers; photo available WDG 148,174,175,176
Annesley Terrace Kilcoo . a row of houses in Newcastle; in 1860 the residents were Rev. Slacke, rector of Newcastle; Sinclair H. Deluzeau,chief of RIC; Vesey Knox; Mrs Dorah Cheyne NWAG p22
Annesley Villa Kilcoo . house & yard in Shore Rd, Newcastle;h eld in fee by Earl Annesley old b/w map I14;GV
Annesvale Magheralin . near Red Hill; residence of James Nelson in 1866 & 1895 ;probably in Taughlomney
FP; MIs
Anne Ville House
Annaville
Newry . house & farm of 11 acres in Damolly townland ; 2km N of Newry town; leased by John A. Dransfield in 1863 from James P. Gore
old b/w map B8; GV
Ann Hill Kilmegan . near Castlewellan; residence of John Kelly & Bernard Tumelty in 1910
POD
Annochmecownan
AnoughmcCounan
Donaghcloney . see Annaghmakeonan PNNI V6 p 85
Annsborough Kilmegan 29: 34/37 house & estate of 113 acres, 1km NE of Castlewellan; at the bottom of the big hill near the bleach green; named after Lady Anne Annesley; built 1790; residence of James Murland c. 1820; residence of James Murland of 'Clarkhill' -mill owner in 1836 ; bleachfields 12 Oct 1861; leased by Samuel & Charles Murland in 1863 from Earl Annesley; fete & ball to celebrate new extensive works 16 Jul 1864;list of Marquis & Marchioness Mills 3 Sep 1864; residence of James Murland in 1910; Boys Scout Camp 24 Jul 1915*; resumption of work at the mills 11 Dec 1926*; school here in 1930s; merger between Murlands & Ulster Weaving Co. at Annsborough mill 16 Jan 1937*;b/w photos of mill available; mill closed in 2005 V3 p 58 OSM; WDG p81; MO 23/1/2008 p4; DR; DR*;GV; MO 8/04; MO 16/3/2005; DR 23/2/1939R; POD; MO 16/3/2005; GV; LM 1999 p74-77; LM 1997 p7
Annsborough Cottage Kilmegan . 1km NE of Castlewellan at the foot of the hill ; residence of James Murland ; the site of the original mill old b/w map J 12; LM 1997 p6
Annsfield Kilcoo  . new area caora.com
Annvale Newry . residence of Mrs Dronsfield in 1881
PDO
Annville Tullylish . farm; 4km NW of Gilford on the Co Armagh border
old b/w map F3
Antecall
Anticall
Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Attical townland in rent roll of 1688 & 1821
SP; PNNI V3 p 17
Anwde Killinchy . farm; near Darragh Cross; 4km SE of Saintfield
old b/w mapP11
Apiary Cottage Kilcoo . in King St, Newcastle, near Donard Lodge; built by William John Kennedy c. 1860; Mrs Kennedy's Tea Rooms here in 1910 & 1914
POD; NWAG p44, 47;WDG p121
Archburn Knockbreda . in Knock Rd, East Belfast; residence of Rev Thomas Hamilton in 1902
POD
Archin Ardquin . ancient name of Ardquin Castle which belonged to the Savage family
V7 p 89 OSM
Arch Villas Holywood . 2 residences in Holywood Rd, Strandtown in 1902
POD

Archy's Brae

Dundonald mentioned n 1763 but a disused name TMUOP p96
Ardaghy
Ardaghnagee
Kilcoo 29: 28/35 a townland on the Muddock river; 2km N of Kilcoo; 372 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means Ard Eachaidh or Eichaidh's height; held by Sir Arthur Magennis in 1612 then Henry O'Neill of Dublin then Arthur Hill in 1640 then George Rawdon in 1661; school here in 1870
MOF p 6; PNNI V3 p 100, 104
Ardagon Killyleagh . see Ardigon .
Ardaluin Kilcoo . in Newcastle; residence of George Brush in 1910 & Lieut- Col. R.G.J. Berry in 1922 POD
Ardara House

Comber

. on the edge of Comber town; built c. 1837 by John Andrews, linen merchant; residence of Thomas Andrews in 1899, who built the 'Titanic'; photo available
Sandra Gilpin; POD; ACOC p14
Ardara

Donaghadee

. residence of Alexander Cumming in 1910
POD
Ardarragh


Newry

29: 15/33 a townland 5km W of Rathfriland; 456 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map ; means ' high place of the oak; part of the Bagenall Estate in 1575; proprietor Lord Garvaghy in 1836; rents were 35-40 shillings an acre ;Newry river runs through it; school established 1816; proprietor was Hon. A.S. G. Canning in 1896
V3 p 61,81,110 OSM ; PNNI V1 p 6; Irish World
Ardbrin

Annaclone

20: 19/41 also called Ballyardbrin; a townland 8km N of Rathfriland; means ' Bran's height'; click here to see its location on a townland map; on Monteith Lough; 1080 acres;held by McGivern family in early 1600s; bog here ;2 flax mill here in 1836 ; proprietor Marquis of Downshire in 1836; Church of Ireland here V12 p12, 13, 14,16 OSM; GIC:PNNI V6 p 63
Ardbrook Knockbreda . in Cherryvalley Rd, Knock; residence of Margaret Anderson in 1902
POD
Ardencliff Bangor  . villa in Victoria Rd, Bangor; residence of James Clarke in 1901 POD
Ardenza Knockbreda . in Kings Rd, East Belfast; residence of A.D. Murray in 1902
POD

Ardgeehan
Ardgehan

Ballyphilip a townland 2km NE of Portaferry; 59 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Gahan's height'; in 1659 there were 0 English/ Scots & 2 Catholic families here V17 p124 OSM; PNNI V2 p 42; SP
Ardglass Ardglass 21: 55/37 coastal town, townland and a parish name ; 8km SE of Downpatrick; click here for a photo and more information ;click here to see its location on a townland map ; means ' green height' HCPCI p288
Ardglass Arms Hotel Ardglass . listed as a building 'at risk' in 1995; b/w photo available
LM 1995 p13
Ardglass Castle Ardglass . set in 28 acres; built early 15th century as a warehouse; Lord Charles Fitzgerald bought it in 1790 and rebuilt it as a castle; sold to William Ogilvie in 1806;castle owned by Beauclerk family 28 Sep 1844 & Major Aubrey de Vere Beauclerk in 1852 & 1863; castle’s state 8 Nov 1851; improvements to castle 9 Dec 1876; Ardglass Golf Clubhouse since 1907; photo available
DR; LWAG p 48,53; POD; GV; O'L V1 p 167; LM 1989 p52
Ardglass Kilmegan 20: 32/42 in Dromara Hills ;8km N of Castlewellan; means 'green height'  
Ardgowan Down . in Downpatrick; residence of James Watterson in 1894 & R.L. Morrow in 1910
PPNZ; POD

Ardigoa
Ardagon

Ardigon

Killyleagh 21: 49/53 a townland 3km W of Killyleagh;483 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; ploughing match 6 Mar 1841; alleged child murder 1 Apr 1882 DR
Ardigon House Killyleagh 21: 49/53 on Dibney River 3km W of Killyleagh: a poem about the master 12 Jun 1875; residence of Robert Heron Esq.- death notice 23 Sep 1876
DR
Ardilea Loughinisland 21: 41/40 a townland just S of Clough village; click here to see its location on a map; 279 acres; was a McCartan stronghold in 1600; owned by Arthur Annesley then sold to David Ker family in 1786 ; the population in 1841 was 85& in 1851 65& in 1861 46 people
JML (PRONI-D 1255/3/23); MO 8/11/04; DR* 3/12/03 ; HCDTD p40 
Ardilea Bridge Loughinisland 21: 41/39 over a stream; just near Inner Dundrum Bay
Ardilea House Loughinisland .

1 km S of Clough; residence of Rev. William Annesley in 1846 & Mrs James in 1910

old b/w map L 14; POD
Ardkeen
Ardkin
Ardkeen 21; 60/57 a village and a parish; 6km N of Portaferry; 461 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' pleasant height'; Ardkeen Castle overrun by Sahne O'Nial in 1561; in 1659 there were 11 English/ Scots & 9 Catholic families here & the proprietors were John & James Savage Esqs.; mainly fishermen's huts; 33 thatched houses; 1 woollen draper, 2 grocers, 3 publicans, 1 tailor, 2 nailers, 5 shopkeepers; the streets were narrow & dirty and the houses ill kept by the landlord, a farmer who lives in the village; corn mill and a windmill in 1836; school built in 1832; Downpatrick Poor Law Union soup kitchen 13 Feb 1837;Poor Law District population was 2455 in 30 Nov 1839; public politcal meeting of all inhabitants 2 Jan 1797 (NS); Sabbath school 14 Aug 1841: soup kitchen 13 Feb 1847; Board of Guardians re graveyard 24 Aug 1872 (DR) O'L V1 p 421 ; V7 1-3 OSM; SP; NS; DR; DR*; PNNI V2 p 9; JUAHS p14

Ardkeeragh
Ardkeragh

Donaghmore 29: 13/35 7km NW of Rathfriland; 275 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' hill of the sheep'; 16 acres is worn out bog; originally owned by Magennis clan V3 p8 OSM; PNNI V1 p 90
Ardkighan Ballyphilip . alternate spelling for Ardgeehan townland in 1659 census
PNNI V2 p 42
Ardley River Kilkeel 29: 30/23 small river in The Mournes, runs into Silent Valley
PNNI V3 p 174  
Ardlussa Bangor . villa in Princetown Rd , Bangor ; residence of Miss Ferrie in 1901
POD
Ardmacaisse
Ardmocosse
Slanes . alternate name for Slanes parish in 1306; name of a burying ground & chapel; forfeited by John Fitznicholas in 1320; the parson in 1386 was John Hore then William Nangle then Robert Notyngham & John McGyan in 1594 O'L V1 p 416,417; PNNI V2 p 115 ; LM 1994 p58 (map)
Ardmaine Newry . on Fullerton Rd, Newry; residence of local Catholic bishops 1903-1932 DDPPp3
Ardmally River Kilkeel . alternate name for Ardley River PNNI V3 p 174
Ardmara Bangor . villa in Bangor ; built in 1860; residence of J. R. Garratt in 1901
OS map 1902 2.06; POD
Ardmeen Down 2km E of Downpatrick; 239 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; owned by Earl of Ardglass & leased to Thomas Beverley who sublet to John Maffet Nov 1669; owned by heirs of Lord De Clifford & Charles Leslie; proprietor Colonel Leslie of Glasslough in 1836 ; dry soil; County Assizes re roads & hill 26 Mar 1859 LM 1985 p52; V17 p 52,57 OSM; DR

Ardmenan
Ardminnan

Slanes & Ballyphilip a village and townland; 2km S of Cloghy village; 143 acres; means ' height of the lid goats'; proprietor in 1836 was Mr Haistings; click here to see its location on a townland map ; school erected in 1826 V7 p3, 8 & V17 p125 OSM; PNNI V2 p 116
Ardmere Down . farm; just outside Downpatrick on the Saul road old b/w map O14
Ardmillan Slanes . alternate spelling for Ardminnan townland V7 p 3 OSM
Ardmillan Tullynakill 21: 50/63 a village in Ballymartin townland ; 2km N of Killinchy; means ' height of the little knoll; on the western shore of Strangford Lough; click here to see its location on a townland map; Bishops lands £140 in 1744; near Ardmillan Bridge is an ancient standing stone 9 by 6 feet; purchased by Mr. Murland of Castlewellan c. 1850; valuable lands & premises 27 Dec 1879; Caughey Estate, valuable lands for sale 10 Jan 1880 V7 p90 OSM: DR; O'L V1 p 368, 369 & B p 32
Ardmore Cottage Bangor  . between Bangor & Ballyholme Bays ; residence of Joseph W. McKee & J. Neill in 1901 OS map 1901 2.06 ; POD
Ardmore Comber . in Ballygowan; residence of J.H. Dickson Esq in 1910 & Senator J. Hill Dickson in 1938
POD; DR* 13/7/38
Ardmore Down . residence & grounds with Lodge entrance off Saul St, Downpatrick in 1901
OSM map
Ardmore Terrace Holywood . row of 8houses in Ballykeel townland;owned by John Simms in 1863
GV
Ardnabannon House Kilmegan 29: 36/37

large Victorian two-storey house of pale buff brick ; 2km NE of Castlewellan on the Clough road; built for Charles Murland & designed by Thomes Turner in 1868 & completed c. 1870; residence of C. W. Murland in 1893 & James Murland until 1942; the U lster Weaving bought Ardnabannon with sixty acres of land and Sir Graham Larmor & his family lived there to 1950s; b/w photo available; now called Ardnabannon Outdoor Education Centre since late 1850s

BWN; MO 23/1/2008 p4; DR 23/2/1939R; LM 1997 cover,12,13
Adnagale Down . in Downpatrick; residence of Dr. James J. Murray in 1938
Irish Independent
Ardnagreena Holywood . in Circular Rd, Strandtown; residence of Charles W. Black in 1901
POD
Ardnagreena Knockbreda . in Knock Rd, East Belfast; residence of W.J. Farrell in 1902
POD
Ardnalea House Holywood . house & farm of 24 acres ; in Craigavad townland; 3km NE of Holywood town on Belfast Lough; leased by Lady Bateson in 1863 from William S. Mitchell ; marriage of Augustin Ross Esq., Ardnalea, to Harriet Ross of Bladensburgh 17 May 1873 at Rostrevor old b/w map T5; GV ; DR
Ardnalea Knockbreda . in Hawthornden Rd, Knock; residence of G.P.Gardner in 1902
POD
Ardough Kilcoo . alternate spelling for Ardaghy townland in 1659 census PNNI V3 p 104
Ardquin Ardquin 21: 58/55 a townland of 190 acres & a parish; 3km NNW of Portaferry; the whole parish only has 3643 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' Conn's height'; Ardquin Castle was the home of the ancient Savage family; in 1659 there were 17 English/ Scots & 15 Catholic families here & the proprietor was Robert Ward Esq.;Bishops lands £100 in 1744; parish boundaries changed 22 Dec 1827; proprietor Mr Echlin in 1836; kelp; bazaar to raise funds to renovate National School 22 Sep 1877; old abbey here NCT; V17 p118,127 OSM & V 7 p4, 89 OSM;SP; DR; old b/w map T15; O'L B p 153, 209, 319; PNNI V2 p 27

Ards
Ards Peninsula

. . a strip of land with Strangford Lough in the western side & the Irish Sea on the right; Newtownards & Donaghadee parishes are in the north & Portaferry in the south .

Ardtana
Ardtanagh

Dromara 20: 26/50 a townland 3km W of Dromara ;627 acres: click here to see its location on a townland map; means “ high mound or rampart”; Presbyterian church here ; school here in 1836 V12 p63, 64, 65 OSM:BH; S P; LCB p 81
Ardtanagh
Artana
Loughinisland 20: 38/44 a townland of 477 acres; Seaforde area ;means ‘high open space’; click here to see its location on a map;in 1659 there were 12 English/Scots & 6 Catholic families here ; the population in 1841 was 279 & in 1851 188 & in 1861 146 people LCB p 81; TCC p33; HCDTD p38,40
Ardtole Ardglass 21: 56/38 a townland 1km NE of Ardglass; click here to see its location on a townland map; hills: old St John’s church here : there were 9 families needing famine relief here in 1847; bathing residence to let 12 May 1849; owned mainly by Aubrey de Vere Beauclerk in 1863 V17 p 7,9 OSM; DR; O'L B p 322; FCD S2 p 25; GV
Ardtullagh Holywood . a house ; residence of Clark family then Holywood Golf Club;b/w photo available
NDM p139; Q4/7 CBSA
Ardvara Bangor  . villa in Princetown Rd, Bangor; residence of W. Blackstock in 1901 POD
Ardview House Killinchy 21: 50/60 farm estate; 2km SE of Killinchy on Killyleagh road; hilly area; furniture etc. for sale, 10 Sep 1853; residence of Robert Potter Esq. J.P.- death notice 25 Mar 1876; agrarian outrage- residence of Thomas Potter Miller 10 Jan 1880 & Miss Miller in 1910 & Mrs Grove Raines in 1926 V7 p86 OSM: DR; POD; DR*28/2/1926
Ardville
Holywood
.
house & 6 acres in Ballycultra townland; leased by James Lemon in 1863 from rep. Robert S. Kennedy; residence of James Barbour in 1886
GV ; POD
Ardwhin Ardquin . alternate spelling for Ardquin in 1659 census
PNNI V2 p 29
Arlington Kilcoo . in Newcastle; residence of J.W. Alexander & Mrs Dickson in 1910 & Mrs J.W. Alexander in 1922
POD/ PTTF p7
Armagh House Knockbreda . a hotel 1-3 Albertsbridge Rd, East Belfast; proprietor in 1902 was Joseph Smyth
POD
Armitage Place Kilcoo . residence in Newcastle in 1910; opposite the sea wall; next to Rowallane House; residence of Misses Alexander in 1922
NWAG p 59; POD/PTTF p7
Armour's Hole Kilkeel . a long cavity, extremely narrow, the waves beat in with fury at the bottom; to this place a son (James) requested his father (Edward Armor) to proceed by and refresh themselves; they were driving cattle for shipping; having left them at the side of the road they retired to this place, the son assuring the father that the hole was worth seeing; told him to lie on his stomach, so he might see it to perfection; as soon as the father did so, the son pushed him down; there are several red rocks to be seen which is said to be the blood of the father; the body floated to Newcastle where it was discovered before the son arrived there; another version says that James was enamoured of Mary O'Hagan but his father forbade the marriage so he killed him ;Mary died just after James was exectuted c. 1744
V3 p47,48 OSM; PNNI V3 p 55
Armstrong Bridge Magheradrool 20: 34/54 over Ballynahinch river ;2km W of Ballynahinch
Armstrongs Inn Magheradrool . in Ballynahinch; Rev. Steel Dickson arrested here after 1798 Rebellion
PE
Arno's Vale Kilbroney 29: 16/19 farm, on Carlingford Lough ;in Moygannon townland north of the road to Warrenpoint; built by Rev. McArthur then rebuilt by John Darley then owned by James Moore by 1815; had a bathing lodge in 1836; residence of William F. Carter Esq.in 1846; owned by Robert McBlain in 1875
V3 p35 OSM ; NWB; PNNI V1 p 156
Aroan Isle Ardkeen . alternate name for Inisharoan Island in 1744 PNNI V2 p 20
Arrandoon Bangor . villa in Kinnegar ; residence of John McKee in 1901
POD

Arrochyne

Ardkeen . ancient name for Ardkeen parish LR 2005 p17
Arsdalgan Saintfield . ancient townland; in 1659 there were 4 English/Scots & 1 Catholic family living here (could be Ardigon) SP: SHM '94 p55

Artana
Artaunack

Dromara or
Loughinisland
. see Ardtanagh .
Arther's Hotel Donaghadee . in Shore St, Donaghadee; proprietor in 1852 was William Arthur
POD
Arthgothin Ballyphilip . place name mentioned in 1183; could be Ardgeehan twonaldn or could be in Ballee parish
PNNI V2 p 42
Arkinstown Kilmore . farm; 2km E of Crossgar
old b/w mapP12
Armstrong's Bridge Magheradrool . over a stream; 2km NW of Ballynahinch on the Hillsborough road
old b/w map M8
Arrandoon Bangor . villa in Kinnegar ; residence of Thomas Duggan in 1901
POD
Arthurs Hotel Donaghadee . in Shore St, Donaghadee; the proprietor in 1846 was William Arthur
POD
Arthurs Port Kilkeel 29: 38/20 small inlet in the Irish Sea, 1km N of Annalong  .
Articone Ardkeen . at the southern end of Ardkeen parish
V7 p3 OSM
Arumah Bangor
.
villa in Princetown Rd, Bangor; residence of David Turtlein 1901
POD
Ashbourn Villa Knockbreda . in Ravenhill Road, Belfast; residence of Thomas Blaxham in 1902
POD
Ashburn Cottage Holywood . in Palmerston Road; residence of Joseph Gregg in 1902
POD
Ashdene Comber 21: 46/68 1km SE of Comber, village; residence of George P. Culverwell in 1912
POD 
Ashfarm Kilkeel . near Annalong; residence of James Purdy in 1910
POD
Ashfield Annahilt 20: 31/56 farm; near Carricknadarriff townland  .
Ashfield House Dromore 20: 16/51 farm; in Edentiroory/Balleny townland; residence of James Allen Cowdy c. 1792 & Maurice Lindsay in 1815; David Lindsay Esq. in 1842 1846, George Black in 1847, J Prenter in 1886 & William Alderdice c. 1900 & Misses Moore in 1910
FP; BU 30/9/1842; MIs; POD
Ashfield Hillsborough 20: 21/62 farm; 3km NW of Hillsborough
Ashfield Holywood 15: 43/80 in Holywood Rd, Knocknagoney townland; residence of the Bishop of Down & Connor; the palace was handsome though not large with a little planting around it in 1836; residence of William McKittrick in 1852 & William T. Pollock in 1902
V7 p 82 OSM ; POD
Ashfield Cottage Holywood . in Holywood Rd, Strandtown;residence of James Agnew in 1902
POD
Ashfield House Knockbreda . farm estate; on the eastern side of Ormeau demesne in Ravenhill Road ; 2km S of Ballymacarret ; residence of Miss Scott in 1902
V7 p 98 OSM ;OS map 1902 4.11
Ashgrove Knockbreda . house off Lisleen Road P12/25 CBSA
Ashgrove House Newry . house & farm of 44 acres in Drumcashelone townland ; 2km NE of Newry town; residence of William & Elizabeth Carlile in 1700 & Mr. Carlile in 1828; & Hugh Boyd (husband of Jane Carlile) c. 1830; leased by Isaac W.Dickinson in 1863 from Miss Carlisle; new foundation stone laid 26 Jun 1869; residence of Mr. Michael J. Magee in 1902
NCT; DR;GV; MIs; old b/w map B9; Irish World NY
Ash Hill Drumbo 20: 33/64 farm; 2km SE of Drumbo
Ashlea Newtownards 15: 52/76 farm: 3km NE of Newtownards .
Ashleigh House Blaris 20: 26/60 farm; in Ravernet townland
Ashleigh House Kilcoo . villa on the Bryansford Road; built c. 1854 ;described as a handsome late-Regency stuccoed two-storey house; residence of Rev William Randal Slacke, rector of St John's in 1854 & 1861; leased from Lord Annesley for £15.18.8 in 1854 for a term of 31 years or 3 lives but replaced by a new lease for 99 years in 1859 ; next tenant was Captain Rea & in 1877, Samuel Clarendon, a surgeon; residence of Mrs. Slacke in 1884 & Miss Grace Chane in 1910
NWAG p22; POD ;WDG p99
Ashley Hall Knockbreda . in Ballymacarrett; untenanted in 1852
POD
Ashley House Knockbreda . near Albertbridge Rd & Paulett Ave, East Belfast; residence of Dr. A. Moore in 1902
POD
Ashley Lodge Knockbreda . residence of John Johnston in 1833 & Agnes Scott in 1846
IIW # 34226/59000
Ash Loanen Bangor . an area near the Rectory
Bangor p51
Ashside Drumbo 20: 33/60 farm; near Drennan townland
Ashside Blaris 20: 28/59 farm; 4km E of Hillsborough
Ashton Newry . residence of Capt. C.M. Seymour in 1824
POD
Ash Tree (The) Dromore . farm; 2km NE of Dromore town
old b/w map J6
Ashvale Annahilt . farm; 4km SE of Annahilt village
old b/w map M6
Ashvale Dromara 20: 26/48 farm; 2km SW of Dromara; residence of Henry Gregg in 1910
POD
Ashvale Killaney . farm; 2km NW of Saintfield town; residence of Joseph Edgar in 1856
old b/w map O8; Mis
Ashvale
Ashville
Killinchy 21: 50/59 farm; 2km SE of Killinchy ; residence of Mrs. J.M. Anderson in 1886 & A.H. Hamilton & John Davidson in 1910
POD
Aspenville Holywood . house & 2 acres in Holywood Rd corner Sydenham Rd , Strandtown ;leased by James Entwhistle in 1863 from Thomas McClure; residence of James Entwistle in 1902 GV ; POD
Asphalte Cottage Tullynakill . house & farm estate of 17 acres in Lisbane townland;leased by Rev. John McCaw in 1863 from William Ritchie
GV
Astolat Knockbreda . residence of John Milliken c. 1890 OS map 1901 5.09
Attical Kilkeel 29: 28/20 a townland on the slopes of The Mournes, 6km NW of Kilkeel; 396 acres; click here to see its location on a map; means ' Catha's dwelling place; part of the Bagenal Estate in 1522 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; in 1659 there were12 Irish people living here & it was owned by Richard Houston Esq.
SP; PNNI V3 p 10, 17; MO 6/8/2009 p6
Auburn Holywood . residence of John Harpur in 1898
PR
Auburn Knockbreda . in Kings Rd, East Belfast; residence of Henry McCulloch in 1902
POD
Auburn Lodge Kilkeel . 2km NE of Kilkeel town
old b/w map E17
Auburn Lodge Tullylish . house, 50 acres, corn & flax mill for sale 27 Apr &1 Jun 1795
NS
Auchrim Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Aughrim townland in rent roll of 1688
PNNI V3 p 20
Audley’s Acre Down  . a townland 1km NE of Downpatrick; 8 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; owner James Annesley in 1836; there were 8 houses; 4 families employed in agriculture & 2 in trade; 14 males & 14 females; 2 manufacturers; also known as Jordan's Acre;shipping casualty, schooner "Perseverance' ashore 5 Mar 1881 V17 p52,57 OSM; DR
Audley's Castle Ballyculter 21: 57/51 15th century tower-house on the shores of Strangford Lough ;2 km NW of Strangford town; lands bought from Earl of Kildare; the first castle was wooden but was replaced by a stone castle ; owned by John Audley in 1558; passed from the Audley family to the Ward family (Bernard) in 1641/6 for £431; description of castle 9 Aug 1845: photo available
V17 p 26 OSM : DR; LWAG p33: HMNI p97 ; Inv 2006 p49; LR 2007 p10; LM 1986 p3-6; LR 2011 cover; Inv 2011 p22
Audleys Roads Ballyculter 21: 58/51 safe boating channel, 1km NW of Strangford town; 'Eagles Wing' washed ashore here in 1715
JUAHS p30
Audleystown Ballyculter 21: 55/50 a townland 3km W of Strangford town; lake; ancient chambered grave here ; corn mill; old castle here ; inhabited by Audley family up to early 1600s; owned by Lord Bangor in 1836; agrarian outrage 2 Mar 1850; up until 1852 there was a village with 25 families here but there were sent by the landlord to America onboard 'The Rose' ; horse racing held here in 1922; click here to see its location on a townland map V17 p 25,26, 28, 30,31; LR 2005 p27; DR: HMNI p88; Inv 2011 p20,21; Inv 2011 p,26
Aughaderrig Aghaderg . old name for Aghaderg V12 p1 OSM
Aughagallon Blaris . see under Aghagallon .
Aughdavanny Seapatrick . a parcel of land inBallevy townland in 1618; on west bank of River Bann PNNI V6 p 305

Aughintober Aughintubber

Donaghmore a townland 8km NNE of Newry; 227 acres with 18 acres of bog; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' field of the well'; originally owned by Magennis clan; site of a celebrated spa well V3 p7, 8, OSM; PNNI V1 p 90
Aughioughel Aughiyochill Kilkeel . alterante spellings for Aghyogill townland in rent roll of 1688 PNNI V3 p 17
Aughlish Cottages Aghaderg . near Scarva; a row of weaver's cottages known as Potstick Row; there is also a townland in nearby Ballymore parish, Co. Armagh with this name BCT p 23
Aughlisnafin Kilmegan
29:36/39 
a townland 4km NE of Castlewellan; 809 acres;click here to see its location on a townland map; Catholic church here;owned by Marquis of Downshire in 1863; malicious burnings 24 Apr 1875; Aughlisnafin Dramatic Society concert 5 Feb 1936
DR; GIC; DDW p 13; GV; DR*
Aughly Saintfield . alternate spelling for Oughley townland POD
Aughlyoughal Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Aghyoghill townland in 1809 PNNI V3 p 17
Aughnabrock Loughinisland means ‘ the badger’s field’ LCB p 81
Aughnacavan Donaghmore a townland 7km NE of Newry; 143 acres ;click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' field of the hollows'; originally owned by Magennis clan; flax mill in 1836; Aughnacavan House here V3 p8 OSM; old b/w map C8; PNNI V1 p 91
Aughnacloy Annaclone 20: 19/43 see Aghnacloy; near Bann river 8km E of Banbridge; V12 p 18 OSM
Aughnacullion Kilcoo . alternate spelling for Clonachillion townland
KPCB
Aughnadarragh Killinchy 21: 44/60 a townland 4km E of Saintfield; 552 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; large lough; Drumahay hill in this townland is 332 feet above sea level
V7 p86 OSM : SHM '86 p32
Aughnadrumman
Aughnadrumma
Moira a townland 2km E of Moira town; 139 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' field of the ridge'; held by Sir Art Magennis in 1609; proprietor Sir R. Bateson in 1836 V12 p 120 OSM; PNNI V6 p 277, 278
Aughnadunvarren Hillsborough 20: 23/56 a townland 5km SW of Hillsborough; 613 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; proprietor Lord Downshire; agent Mr Reilly in 1836; farms from 4-20 acres except Col. Corry's at 28 acres; rent on old leases 16 shillings & new leases 30 shillings an acre; good land; school; a list of charity subscribers from 1834 V12 p85, 86, 99, 105 OSM
Aughnafosker Moira  . a townland 1km WSW of Moira town; 126 acres; ;just SW of Moira town; means ' Gilkosker's field'; originally belonged to the O'Laverty family; proprietor Sir R. Bateson in 1836 V12 p118, 120 OSM; PNNI V6 p 278, 279
Aughnagon
Aughnagun
Aghagun
Clonallan 29: 14/26 a townland of 509 acres; 3km SW of Mayobridge village; near Derryleckagh Lough; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' field of the smiths'; originally belonged to O'Garvey family then Hugh Magennnis then Edwrad Trevor by 1661; a Hedge School here c. 1800 V3 p 61 OSM; PNNI V1 p 58, 59; DDPP p89
Aughnahoory
Aughnahury
Kilkeel a townland of 557 acres; click here to see its location on a map; means ' ford on the river Urach'; part of the Bagenal Estate in 1522 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; in 1659 there were 13 Irish people ling here & it was leased by Richard Houston Esq.
SP; PNNI V3 p 10, 18; MO 5/8/ 2009 p6; HOTC p53
Aughnaleck Annahilt a townland of 671 acres; click here to see its location on a map; means ' ford of the flagstones'; 68 families listed in census without surnames dated 1821, total inhabitants 411, 31 employed in agriculture, 19 in trade,16 servants, 12 weavers; school in 1836; proprietor Mr. Mussenden Esq. of Larchfield, agent Rev. Corner, Lisburn; 148 acres of this townland are in Larchfield demesne; 26 landholders; farms were from 1-32 acres; rent was £2.5.0 an acre; 12 weavers who work for Mr Crummey, Dromore; school established in 1830; HMP; V12 p20, 23 OSM
Aughnaleck River Kilkeel 29: 25/22 rises in the Mournes and runs south into Water Water river
PNNI V3 p 175  
Aughnaloopy Kilkeel 29: 30/17 a townland 3km NW of Kilkeel town; 382 acres; click here to see its location on a map; means ' field of the loop'; part of the Bagenal Estate in 1522 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s; ;in 1659 there were 8 Irish people living here & it was owned by Patrick Modder O'Howen Esq.; the Bagenal estate passed to Edward Bayly & Robert Nedham in 1713; the population in 1841 was 190 then in 1851 it was 215 & 217 in 1861 ( living in 38 houses ); Fiona Doyle Jones has written a comprehensive book on this townland called ' A Mourne Townland- A History & People of Aughnaloopy' (self published in 2012)
SP; MO 5/8/2009 p6; PNNI V3 p10, 19; HPA p10, 47
Aughnaskeagh Dromara 20: 25/48 a townland 4km SW of Dromara; 693 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' field of whitethorn'; 2 mills in 1836; murder of John Rankin by William Hanna 17 Oct 1857 V12 p 63, 65 OSM: DR
Aughnaskeagh House Dromara 20: 24/48 farm; 4km WSW of Dromara
Aughnavallog Drumballyroney a townland 3km N of Rathfriland; 844 acres;means 'field of the swallows'; click here to see its location on a townland map; Covenanting Presbyterian meetings held here c. 1770; proprietor General Meade whose agent was Crane Brush Esq. of Rathfriland in 1836; two largest farms were 35 acres; rents were old leases 10-12 shillings an acre & new leases 21 shillings an acre; an island bog; Church of Ireland & glebe here; large stone in Fin McCool legend; school built ASWT p6; V3 p10,13,14, 16,17, 18 OSM; GIC; PNNI V6 p 154
Aughnavallog Cottage Drumballyroney 29: 21/36 3km NE of Rathfriland;
Aughnaveigh Newry . alternate name for Altnaveigh townland in 1830 PNNI V3 p 6
Aughneskeagh Dromara . see Aughnaskeagh .
Aughnehoory Aughnihury Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Aughnahoory townland in rent toll of 1688 & in 1792
PNNI V3 p 18
Aughneluby Kilkeel . alternate spelling for Aughnaloopy townland in rent roll of 1688
PNNI V3 p 19
Aughrim Kilkeel  . a townland of 670 acres; click here to see its location on a map; means ' horse ridge'; part of the Bagenal Estate in 1522 & owned by Lord Nicholas Bagenal in 1690s ; in 1659 there were 3 Irish people living here & it was owned by Richard Houston Esq.
SP; PNNI V3 p 10, 19; MO 6/8/2009 p6
Aughrim Hill Kilkeel 29: 28/18 hill on the end of The Mournes, 4km NW of Kilkeel town
Aughrim River Kilkeel 29: 29/18 rises on the slopes of the Mournes near Attical and runs S into the Irish Sea at Kilkeel town  .
Augustaville Bangor . 60-62 Princetown Rd, Bangor; built by Robert Russell 1885/7; residence of Robert Russell & Charles Lepper in 1901
NDM p136; OS map 1902 2.05 ; POD
Aunesvale Kilmegan area . residence of Joseph Magenis in 1835
IIW V4 p103
Aureen Comber . in The Square, Comber; residence of John Miller ,distiller c. 1860; a cobbled, mosaic pavement is outside & depicts a hunting scene; click here for a photo
SG; TOOC p75
Australia House Kilkeel . near Annalong; residence of Robert Hill in 1910
POD
Ava Hotel Bangor
.
cnr Abbey St & Catherine Place, Bangor in 1902
OS map 2.05
Avoca Lodge Kilcoo . house in Newcastle; residence of William Beatty 1830- 1884 & Edmund Beatty J.P. in 1910 & 1922 POD; WDG p12,13
Avondale Knockbreda . in Kings Rd, East Belfast; residence of J.H. Morrowin 1902
POD
Avondale House Rathmullab . in Ballylucas townland; residence of Robert Fitz in 1899
Irish World
Avoneil House Knockbreda . off Avoneil Rd, East Belfast; residence of Robert McKibbin in 1852
OS map 1902 4.11 ; POD
Avonmore Bangor 15:56/80 house & grounds ; in Ballyfotherly townland, Maxwell Road
OS map 1902 2.05.