Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Ros Davies' Co. Down, Northern Ireland Family History Research Site
© Rosalind Davies 2001

Permission granted to reprint research for non-profit use only

Magheralin Parish

Church of Ireland St. Patrick's Catholic Church, Magheralin St. Colmans' Catholic Church, Kilwarlin

 

Church of Ireland- Holy & undivided Trinity

in Magheralin village, new Forge Road

The rector in 1796 was Rev. Michal Smith. The old church is opposite the new one (where Ballymakeonan & Ballymagin townlands meet). It was rebuilt in the 17th century and abandoned in 1845. It was described in 1836 as a very old, plain, stone building with a tower and a very low spire capable of holding 400 people with the average attendance in then of 400. The seats were of oak and it had a small organ. There was a large Gothic window in the east gable which gave it an antique appearance. There is an inscription on the wall for Jacob Camac dated 1784. The Glebe House, which is plain and old, is near the church. The rector in 1836 was Rev. Boughey Dollling then Rev. Henry Murphy 1853-1863. The new church was built in 1844 to replace the older church. The Rev. Edward Perry Brooke was rector 1863-1883 & Rev. Thomas William Clarendon in 1900 & 1909.

records available in PRONI are some from 1692, then baptisms 1783- 1870, marriages 1784- 1845, burials 1846-1863, UHF has baptism 1783-1870; graveyard nearby, old & new graveyard inscriptions UHF Vol 19; photo of the old church in Vol 19; email me for a gravestone look-up

 

References; IIW V4 p141; V12 p 109 OSM: LDS; V19 MIs; GIPR: GIC; MIs; PNNI V6 p 225,227

 

St Patrick's Magheralin

St Patrick's Catholic Church in Magheralin village,
on Waringstown to Magheralin Road

St. Ronan built the first church here before 637AD. A small thatched church was here in 1777 but t was burnt in 1798 by Royalists during the United Irishmen Rebellion so Mass was then held under a tree. The church was re-roofed and repaired by subscriptions. It has since been enlarged at the expense of the parishioners. It was described in 1836 as a small whinstone building with Gothic windows,capable of holding 500 with an average attendance of 600. It was rebuilt in 1843 but attacked by a mob in 1885 which smashed windows and caused other damage.

no graveyard; PRONI (Mic 1d/26) , NLI (5501) & LDS have baptisms, marriages & burials 1815-1880 (Film #0926086 is 1815-1881) ; UHF has baptisms & marriages 1814-1900

List of parish priests; Rev. Lavery in 1738; Rev. Rodger Fitzpatrick 1782; Rev. Devlin 1802; Rev. Daniel Jennings 1809-1817; Rev. Peter Devlin 1817- 1838; Rev. Daniel Murphy 1838-1843; Rev. Bernard Maginn 1842-43; Rev. Bernard Moony 1843-47; Rev. Patrick MacKay 1847-1864; Rev. Bernard Troy 1864- 1870; Rev. James Lowry 1871- 1874; Rev. John McGrath 1874- 1887; Rev. John Quail 1887-1912; Rev. Hugh McAvoy 1912- 1923; Rev. Eugene McPolin 1923- 1941; Rev. Daniel Pollin 1941- 1972; Rev. Thomas Mooney 1972- 1987; Rev. John Treanor 1963- 1998;Rev. Albert McGovern 1978 (curate)-1998; Rev. Arthur McNeill 1998-2002; Rev. Michael Maginn 2002-

References; PE; V12 p 110 OSM; GIC; MIs; TIA; PNNI V6 p 213; DDPP p183, 185

 

St. Colman's Catholic Church

St. Colmans' Catholic Church, Kilwarlin
on the main road between Hillsborough and Moira

A church was built at Stoney Batter in 1812 by Rev. Daniel Jennings, at a cost of £1,000 which was raised by subscription.The Marquis of Downshire gave a grant of the land & laid the first stone for a new building after demanding that proof be obtained that he had, in fact, promised the land rent-free. The Bishop, Rev. Dr. Blake found M. McNulty, Michael McGrath & Hugh Savage who were willing to swear that they had heard this promise.

The new church was a neat, stone, roughcast, whitewashed building in the shape of a T. The outside was decorated with 4 small minarets. The inside was very plain, not ceiled, thatched roof, no seats but forms to sit on. The floor was partly boarded and partly mud. There was a painting of a crucifix over the altar . Rev. Daniel Murphy was parish priest when the new church was completed in 1839. It was capable of holding 300 people with an average attendance of 250.

List of parish priests; Rev. Daniel Jennings 1805-1817; Rev. Peter Devlin 1817- 1838; Rev. Daniel Murphy 1838-1843; Rev. Bernard Maginn 1842-43; Rev. Bernard Moony 1843-47; Rev. Patrick MacKay 1847-1864; Rev. Bernard Troy 1864- 1870; Rev. James Lowry 1871- 1874; Rev. John McGrath 1874- 1887; Rev. John Quail 1887-1912; Rev. Hugh McAvoy/ McEvoy 1912- 1923; Rev. Eugene McPolin 1923- 1941; Rev. Daniel Pollin 1941- 1972; Rev. Thomas Mooney 1972- 1987; Rev. John Treanor 1963- 1998; Rev. Albert McGovern 1978 (curate)-1998; Rev. Arthur McNeill 1998-2002; Rev. Michael Maginn 2002- 32005 & Rev. Brian Brown 2005-

baptisms from 1815; graveyard attached , gravestones UHF Vol 18, oldest stone 1824; email me for a gravestone look-up; the graveyard surrounding the chapel is enclosed with a quickset fence and the entrance is from the road by an iron gate

The colour photo on the left was kindly sent by Margaret Mueller

view in 2008
References; V12 p 119 OSM; GIC ; V18 MIs; PNNI V6 p 292; DDPP p184 ;V12 p 87, 95 OSM; POD; GIC; V18 MIs ; APH

 

by Ros Davies