Dundonald Presbyterian Church
in Church Green, Dundonald town in Church
Rev Thomas Peebles was the first minister from 1645-1670 &
shared with Holywood. He was seceeded by Rev. Gilbert Kennedy
from 1673 until 1678 when Rev. Thomas Cobham was ordained. He
fled to Scotland for 5 years during the troubles. The church was
separated from Holywood in 1704 and the first undivided minister
was Rev. James Stewart , who was offered £20 per annum and
20 boll of oats and a farm, from 1709 until his death in 1748.
Next was Rev. James Hamilton from 1754 until his transfer in 1758.
Next was Rev. William Ray from 1761 until he sailed for North
Americ in 1765. He was suceeded by Rev. Hugh Smith in 1766 until
his death in 1771, The church was extended with a projecting aisle
added in 1769.
The minister from 1772 until he became infirm was Rev. James
Caldwell. His assistant then successor was Rev. William Finlay
until his death in 1834 aged 47. In 1834 it was described as a
very old, plain building measuring 64 feet by 30, capable of holding
300 people. The next minister was Rev. William Graham from 1835
until he became a Jewis missionary in 1843. A new church was built
1839. Rev. Edward Thompson Martin was appointed in 1843 until
1883. A Revival was held in 1858 with 52 new members added to
the congregation. Rev. Martin was succeeded by Rev. James Bingham
1883-1930. There was a National School adjacent in 1863. Bethesda
was set up the 1890s to take the overflow of people.
Other ministers were Rev James A McQuitty 1927-1958, Rev Ian Alexander
Jenkins 1957-1974 , Rev Roy J. Magee 1975-
Newspaper articles from Newtownards Chronicle;
monument to Rev. E.T. Martin 12 Jan 1895
Ministers were; 1645-1670 Thomas Peebles; 1670-1678 Gilbert Kennedy;
1678-1702 Thomas Cobham; 1709-1748 James Stewart; 1754-1758 James
Hamilton; 1761-1765 William Ray; 1766-1771 Hugh Smith; 1772-1814
James Caldwell; 1810-1834 William Finlay; 1835-1842 William Graham;
1843-1891 Edward Thompson Martin; 1883-1930 James Bingham; 1927-1958
James A.McQuitty; 1957-1974 Ian Alexander Jenkins; 1975 Roy J.
records from 1678; PRONI T808/15307; no graveyard; the photo
(left) was kindly sent by Bill