Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Ros Davies' Co. Down, Northern Ireland Family History Research Site
© Rosalind Davies 2001
Permission granted to reprint research for non-profit use only

 

Annaclone Parish

Church of Ireland 1st Presbyterian 2nd Presbyterian Catholic Church

 

Annaclone Church of Ireland

Church of Ireland- Christ Church
in Lisnasliggan townland , Church Rd, Annaclone

This photo was kindly sent to me by Rev. Elizabeth Hanna, rector of the parish in 2005

The old church was in Ardbrin townland, at the foot of a low hill It was described in 1836 as a small stone,insignificant building, whitewashed & roughcast with a bell but without a tower. It had been rebuilt in 1806 and was capable of seating 300 people with the average attendance of 100 . The Glebe House is in Lisnasliggan townland & cost £900 which was paid for by tithes of £196 & £124 (Irish) & 124 Irish acres of the Glebe. The rector then was Rev. Michael Simpson. The present church (above) built in 1860 is near the Glebe.

graveyard attached; records from 1834; try http/:www.findmypast.ie

References; V12 p 14, 15, 17 OSM; GIC; PNNI V6 p 61, 63,64 , 72; GIPR; GIC

 

Annaclone 1st Presbyterian Church

1st Presbyterian, Annaclone- Seceeders
in Ardbrin townland, just NE of Annaclone village, near the main road between Loughbrickland & Castlewellan

It was described as a plain, white whinstone building . It was built in 1802 on the site of the old Drilling Field & Sentry Box where Protestant settlers exercised in 17th century, known as Annaghlone Volunteers. It was rebuilt in 1836 at cost of £160 besides gratuitous labour & a donation from Lord Downshire of £10. It seated 500 with an average attendance in 1836 of 200 . The salary of the first minister, Rev. David McKee in 1836 was £50 (Irish) and £ 30 (British). He was minister for 66 years before his death 12 Jan 1867. He was suceeded by Rev. John Waddell who left for Belfast in 1876 and was succeeded by Rev. David T. Mackey.

Records: http/:www.findmypast.ie

References; PNNI V6 p 61, 63 ; V12 p 14, 17 OSM; HVPCI p13

 

2nd Presbyterian, Annaclone

2nd Presbyterian, Annaclone
in Ballynanny townland; near the road between Banbridge & Rathfriland

This meeting house was built in 1819 by Presbyterians who had previouly attended at Loughbrickland . The first minister was Rev. Samuel Crawford in 1821 then he left for England. In 1836 the church was described as a plain stone building. The minister from 1824 was Rev. Alexander Orr. He left for Ballyhemlin in 1838 and was succeeded by Rev. William Dobbin in 1839.

graveyard attached; records; http://www.findmypast.ie

References; V12 p 14, 15, 17 OSM: GIC; PNNI V6 p 63, 75 ; RWN p 46; HCPCI p13

 

nnaclone Catholic inMonteith

St.Colman's Catholic church
in Tullintanvally townland , Monteith village

A chapel was erected 1802 by public subscription . In 1836 it was described as a plain building . A newer church was built in 1840 by architect Thomas Duff, next to the older one. Renovations were carried out in 1928 & 1965. Extensively renovated after arson attack in 1997.

Newspaper article from Newry Commercial Telegraph;
attack on priest & chapel 1 Jul 1845

graveyard attached; PRONI, NLI & LDS have baptisms 1834-1881, marriages & burials 1851-1881; UHF has baptisms & marriages 1834-1900; also try http://www.findmypast.ie

References; V12 p14, 15 OSM; TIA; NCT*: Perspective p6; GIC; PNNI V6 p 75 ; DDPP p135

by Ros Davies