The Langston family came to Alabama from South Carolina. Ezekiel Langston and Haywood
Langston appear on the 1830 census of Fayette Co., AL. Penelope, Haywood, Jesse and John
Langston each a head of household appear on the 1840 census of that same county. Penelope
was the mother of the others. The McClung history states that Elizabeth McClung married
Jesse Langston and her sister, Phebey Jane, married John Langston.
John B. Langston, born 18 Dec 1818 S.C. died 26 June 1901 near Bluff, AL. Several members of
the family died in 1901. there must have been an epidemic of some sort that year. John and
his wife and several members of the family are buried in the family plot in Spring Hill
Baptist Church cemetery near Bluff, AL. None of the graves have markers although they have a
cement border around them with the name, "Langston."
John married 8 April 1839 to Phebey McClung, dau. of Jonas and Rebecca Mcclung. Phebey was
born 10 Feb 1823 in AL. She died 28 Sept 1901 and buried at Spring Hill. They had eleven
children and reared them on their farm near Bluff, SL. John B. Langston left a will dated 26
Apr 1892 and proven 15 Aug 1901. He names wife, Phebey, daughters: Polly, Phebey Jane,
Adaline, and Caroline Langston.
John B. Langston obtained a land grant in Fayette Co. in 1855. In an account book of Burr
Wilson who had a store, one John Langston was listed as a customer in 1837. Also in a tax
assessor's book, John had declared "one clock" as subject to taxes. John B. Langston lived
in Gilpin beat in 1864 and owned land valued at $1000.
1. Rebecca Mary Ann Gelanie Elizabeth Langston and they called her Polly. All these names
were given in the family Bible and also on the census record. She was born 10 Sept 1841
and died 5 May 1923. She never married. She is buried with her family at Spring Hill Cem.
2. Levicy Jeridia (Vicey) was born 8 July 1843. She married Samuel Houston Hankins. Their
only child was Thomas J. Hankins b. 20 Aug 1884 (still living in 1980). Vicey is buried
just outside the family plot in Spring Hill Cem. She probably has a marker there but they
are not inscribed.
3. Sarah (Sally) Langston was born 2 Dec 1845 in AL. She died in 1937 (gravestone) and
married 17 July 1873 to J. W. Byars (1854-1934). They are buried in Spring Hill Cem near
the Langston plot.
4. Margaret Ann (Margie) Langston was born 28 May 1847 and died 10 Apr 1887 at Marshall, AR.
They are buried in the Cannon Cem. at Marshall. She married 26 Dec 1869 to John Riley Taylor.
5. Phebey Jane Langston was born 22 Apr 1851 and died 24 Dec (no year given). She married
1 Oct 1909 to C. D. Sorrels who was a minister.
6 & 7. Adaline and Caroline Langston were twins and born 26 Feb 1853. They were deaf
and dumb and neither one ever married. We have no death dates but there is a record in the
family Bible of a Ca Langston 26 Nov 1901 which could possibly be Caroline.
8. Jesse Jerret Langston was born 12 July 1855 and died 30 July 1913. He married 13 July 1876
to Jerusha Ann South who was born 7 Feb 1855 and died 12 Apr 1931. They were the parents
of seven children.
9. John William Langston was born Feb 1857 and died 12 Sept 1901. He too was deaf and
dumb. He was married briefly to Miss Dyer.
10. Amanda Lanagston was born 25 Feb 1862. She married Thadus Rowland.
11. Mary Francis Langston was born 14 Mar 1864. She married John Barton and moved to
Email may be sent to: J. McClung