Mary Elizabeth James RHODES
Mary Elizabeth James RHODES was the last child born to Reverand James J. RHODES and his 2nd wife Winifred RHODES. She was born on 20 July 1853 in Jones County, N.C. and living with her parents in the Pollocksville area.
It is too bad we do not know much about her life growing up. We do know she was called "Bettie." But, below is a picture of Mary Elizabeth James RHODES with her brother. We do not know which brother this is. If anyone can identify him, please contact me at Sloan Mason.
With the Civil War upon them and most of her brothers gone or dead; life must have been very hard. Her cousin Zacheous RHODES apparently was a frequent visitor.
Zacheous RHODES was the son of Benjamin RHODES and Serena WESTBROOK of Jones Co. Benjamin RHODES was a brother of Reverand James J. RHODES. Benjamin RHODES died about 1862. According to family history; Zacheous was bond out to learn a trade to a very disagreeable man. Zacheous ran away back to his Uncle James J. RHODES house and asked if he could live with him. During this time a romance emerged between Mary Elizabeth James RHODES, "Bettie" and Zacheous RHODES. It was not unusual for cousins to marry at this time. Since, "Bettie" was so young and the Civil War was going on Zach enlisted also in Co. F, 67th Regiment, N.C. State Troops on 28 Feb. 1864. He returned at the end of the Civil War and married his love; Mary Elizabeth James RHODES. So, on 8 August 1867 at the home of Rev. James J. RHODES; Zachariah RHODES and Mary E. RHODES were joined together as husband and wife by Nathan MCDANIEL, J. P. She was 14 years old and he was about 20 years of age.
Below are pictures of Zacheous RHODES and his wife Mary Elizabeth James RHODES
Above is a copy of their marriage record, recorded in Jones Co., N.C.
By 1870 Zacheous and Bettie were living in the Beaver Creek area of Jones County with their daughter Mary RHODES; and by 1880 they had moved again to the Woodington area of Lenoir Co. with their 5 additional children. They had a total of 13 children by the time they had moved to Kinston; 3 of which had died by the 1900 census. A list of their children is below.
- Mary Susan RHODES, b. 3 August 1869-d.12 Oct. 1918.
- Jennie Elizabeth RHODES, b. 3 Sept. 1871-d. 1 Oct. 1871.
- Della Winefred RHODES, b. 2 Sept. 1872- d. 22 July 1950.
- John Franklin RHODES, b. 16 Dec. 1874-d. 10 Dec. 1938.
- Eleanor Olivia RHODES, b. 24 Sept. 1876- d.10 Nov. 1955.
- Lucy Dorcas RHODES, b. 18 Jan. 1878-d. 15 May 1914.
- James Herman RHODES, b. 14 Nov. 1880-d. Jan. 1917.
- Maude Zee RHODES, b. 15 Dec. 1882- d. 6 Dec. 1931.
- Minnie Elizabeth RHODES, b. 22 Aug. 1885-d. 23 Oct. 1953.
- Annie Lorena RHODES, b. 25 Nov. 1887-d. 2 Dec. 1974.
- Zacheous Clayton RHODES, b. 7 May 1889-d. 7 Oct. 1890.
- Vernon Lake RHODES, b. 14 Oct. 1893-d. 16 March 1894.
- Verdie Lillian RHODES, b. 14 Oct. 1893- d. 6 April 1976.
Children of Bettie RHODES and Zacheous RHODES
Mary Susan RHODES, "Mollie", b. 3 Aug. 1869. She married 1st) Charles H. HAYNES on Nov. 2, 1884. They had the following children: Nettie C. HAYNES, Margaret Elizabeth HAYNES and Roland P. HAYNES.
She married next J. Waitsall QUINN on 2 June 1917 in Kinston, N.C.
J. W. QUINN having applied to me for a license for the marriage of himself of Wayne Co., aged 53 years, the son of John QUINN and Nancy QUINN, the father now dead, the mother dead; and Mary Susan HAYNES of Lenoir Co., aged 48 years, daughter of Zack RHODES and Mary E. RHODES, the father dead, mother dead.
signed: C. W. PRIDGEN.
I, Rev. W. O. BODELL, a Universalist, united in matrimony J. W. QUINN, and Mary Susan HAYNES the parties licensed above on the 2nd day of June 1917 at I. S. ROCHELLE'S, residence in Kinston Twn. in Lenoir Co., according to law. Witnesses present at marriage: I. S. ROCHELL, Kinston, N.C.; Magrus? OUTLAW, Seven Springs, N.C.
Signed: Rev. W. O. BODELL, Kinston, N.C.
Below is a picture of Mary Susan RHODES and J. W. QUINN
Jennie Elizabeth RHODES, b. 3 Sept. 1871-d. 1 Oct. 1871
Della Winifred RHODES, "Della" b. 2 Sept. 1872. She was educated in pubic school for 3 months, attended 3 years of private school and 1 year at Dr. Lewis College. She taught at Johnson Hill School. She married Jan. 14, 1891 to William Jacob LANGSTON in Lenoir Co. at her father's home in the presence of James DUPREE, Charles HAYNES, Capt. John GRUBBS. Her bridesmaids were Alpha HASKINS, Myrt FIELDS, Lena RHODES, Eugenia WIGGINS. Ushers were: John LANGSTON, Ras. JACKSON. A big Supper reception and dance was held at her Father in Law's home in the Sharon Community.
Below is a picture of Della Winifred RHODES & William Jacob LANGSTON and a picture of their children.
They had the following children:
- Guy Clifton LANGSTON, b. 9 Sept. 1891
- Martha Elizabeth LANGSTON, b. 2 Oct. 1892
- Leslie Wilson LANGSTON, b. 13 Oct. 1893
- Bessie Lillian LANGSTON, b. 19 April 1896
- Ruth Bryant LANGSTON, b. 10 March 1898
- Della Mae LANGSOTN, b. 19 Nov. 1899
- William Parrott LANGSTON, b. 14 Sept. 1901
- Zacheous RHODES LANGSTON, b. 20 Jan. 1903
- Emma Lee LANGSTON, b. 23 June 1904
- Mary Washington LANGSTON, b. 22 Feb. 1906
- Robert Glen LANGSTON, b. 23 Sept. 1907
- Edward Herman LANGSTON, b. 6 Jan. 1911
John Franklin RHODES b. 16 Dec. 1874; married Blanche Estelle PITTMAN of Kinston, N.C. on 8 Feb. 1899 in Lenoir Co. John F. RHODES and his wife Blanche, moved to the New Bern area. He was a well known contractor in New Bern, Craven Co., N.C. They had the following children:
- William Hyram RHODES, b. 29 May 1901-d.12 May 1902
- John Franklin RHODES, Jr., b. 26 Sept. 1902
- Marion Rudolph RHODES, b. 2 Oct. 1904
- Ural Milton RHODES, b. 29 June 1906
- Helen Elizabeth RHODES, b. 8 July 1908-d. 14 June 1911
- Lula Blanche RHODES, b. 16 DEc. 1909-d. 16 June 1911
- Sally Mae RHODES, b. 14 March 1912
- Effie Longley RHODES, b. 2 Sept. 1913
- Julia Elizabeth RHODES, b. 11 April 1919
John RHODES and wife Blanche Pittman Rhodes
Johnny, Rudolph & Ural Rhodes
Eleanor Olivia RHODES, "Lena" was born 24 Sept. 1876This is my great grandmother. She married Isaac Sloan ROCHELLE on 23 May 1894. When Ike ROCHELLE first saw Lena in Kinston, he thought she was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. (Love at first sight) They had the following children:
- James Marvin ROCHELLE, b. 27 April 1897
- Minnie Lou ROCHELLE, b. 26 July 1906
- Benjamin Hanson ROCHELLE, b. 25 August 1907
- Isaac Fred ROCHELLE, b.2 April 1908
- Zollie Allision ROCHELLE, b. 11 Oct. 1911
- Zee Rhodes ROCHELLE, b. 14 June 1914
- Mary Anna ROCHELLE, b. 14 April 1916
- Eleanor Kate ROCHELLE, b. 8 May 1920
Below are the wedding pictures of "Lena" Eleanor Olivia Rhodes and Isaac "Ike" Sloan Rochelle
Lucy Dorcas RHODES, b. 18 Jan. 1878-d.15 May 1914-married Benjamine F. HILL on December 19, 1900 in Kinston, Lenoir Co., N.C. They had the following children:
- Ralph HILL
- Lucille HILL
- Felix HILL
- Lynwood HILL
- Ruby Lillian HILL
- Benjamin F. HILL
Below are pictures of Lucy Dorcas RHODES and her husband Benjamin F. HILL and children
thanks to Nancy HAYES for these pictures
if you have further info. on this family please contact her at Nancy Hayes
James Herman RHODES, b. 14 Nov. 1880-d. 23 Jan. 1917, married Effie WOOLARD
Their children were:
- James H. RHODES
- Elsie RHODES
- Edward RHODES
- Norwood RHODES
- Margie RHODES
Below are pictures of Herman RHODES and wife Effie Woolard RHODES
Maud Zee RHODES, b. 15 Dec. 1882-d. 6 Dec. 1931, married Emmett HASKINS on 11 Dec. 1911, in Kinston, Lenoir Co., N.C.
The children of Maud and Emmett Rhodes HASKINS are:
- Jesse Mae HASKINS, b. 21 March 1903
- Ruth Elizabeth HASKINS, b. 4 Dec. 1904
- Emmett Earl HASKINS, b. 4 July 1908
- Virginia Grace HASKINS, b. 12 Jan. 1917
- Margaret Eleanor HASKINS, b. 26 April 1919
Below is a picture of Maud Zee RHODES and husband Emmett HASKINS
Minnie Elizabeth RHODES, b. 22 August 1885-d.23 Oct. 1952; married 5 Jan. 1905, William Carmer SUTTON, b. 18 Dec. 1881-d. 7 Jan. 1926.
They had one child:
Elizabeth Carlyle SUTTON, b. 17 Nov. 1913
Below is a picture of Minnie RHODES and husband Carmer SUTTON
Annie Lorena RHODES, b. 25 Nov. 1887-d. 2 Dec. 1974 in Spartanburg, S.C. She married James Gilbert JONES, b. 6 Aug. 1884, Duplin Co., N.C.-d. 5 Feb. 1969, S.C. They married in Lenoir Co., N.C. on 22 June 1911. They had the following children:
- Annie Elizabeth JONES, b. 29 Dec. 1912
- James Gilbert JONES, Jr., b. 9 Jan. 1915
- William Rhodes JONES, b. 4 Aug. 1917
- Lilian Margaret JONES, b. 23 Nov. 1918
- Mary JoAnna JONES, b. 12 Dec. 1930
Below are pictures of Annie Rhodes JONES
Below is a picture of Minnie & her sister Annie RHODES
Zacheous Clayton RHODES, b. 7 May 1889-d.7 Oct. 1890
Vernon Lake RHODES, b. 14 Oct. 1893-d. 16 March 1894
Verdie Lillian RHODES, b. 14 Oct. 1893-d. 6 April 1976; married Wilmer Clayton GRADY. They had the following children:
- Wilma Clair GRADY
- Earl Whitfield GRADY
- Anna Murray GRADY
- Martha Elizabeth GRADY
- Dorothy Lillian GRADY
Below is a picture of Mary Elizabeth James RHODES and her daughter Verdie RHODES as a child
Mission Circle-Universalist Church
Mary E. J. Rhodes (black dress)
Universalist Church, Kinston, N.C.
Most are Rhodes family members
L-R: Verdie Rhodes Grady
Lena Rhodes Rochelle
Minnie Rhodes Sutton Heath
Della Rhodes Langston
Rhodes family home 511 N. Heritage St., Kinston, N.C.-rear of house.
Rhodes house in Kinston, N.C.
Mary E. J. RHODES
at her home on Heritage St.
Mary Elizabeth James RHODES death card
Funeral at Maplewood Cemetery in Kinston, N.C.-Dec. 31, 1921
Lena Rhodes Rochelle