William Henry RHODES was the son of James J. RHODES (wife unknown) of Jones Co., N.C. ( and brother of Rev. James J. Rhodes). He married Keziah BECTON sometime before 1824.
1) James F. Rhodes, b. abt. 1824
2) Joseph Becton Rhodes, b. 26 Feb. 1825
3) Henry Rhodes, b. 1837
4) Mary Rhodes, b. 1840 married James Riggs
I will concentrate on Joseph Becton Rhodes and his family.
Joseph Becton Rhodes married Eliza Wood, b. 8 March 1823; in Jones Co., N.C. They had the following children:
1) Ivey Becton Rhodes, b. 6 May 1850 - d. 24 May 1929, married Delia Heath Metts.
2) Edith Louisa Rhodes, b. 21 May 1851 married John Henry Clay Rhodes, 31 Oct. 1866. - d. 8 Jan. 1906, Sinclair, Texas.
3) William F. Rhodes, b. 2 April 1852
4) Joseph Hill Rhodes, b. 6 July 1853 - d. 6 Oct. 1922, Hawley, Jones Co., Texas; married Bettie Stallings, 14 Oct. 1880, in Jones Co., N.C.
5) Mary Rhodes, b. 25 Sept. 1858
Joseph Hill Rhodes and Bettie Ann Stallings were married on 14 October 1880 at the home of the bride's mother in Jones Co., N.C. according to the "Kinston Journal 1878-1882"
Bettie Stallings was born 22 July 1862 in Jones Co., N.C. to John Stallings and Nancy Barrow; and died 31 August 1942.
Her obituary in the "Abilene Reporter News" dated August 1, 1942 reads:
Death came suddenly to Mrs. Betty Ann Rhodes, 80 year old resident of Central Community, in Jones County, who succumbed to a heart attach late Friday afternoon, while enroute home after a visit at the home of Mrs. Lucian Hunter, a neighbor.
Her body was bound about 6 and she had been dead since about 1.
Funeral arrangements, incomplete last night, will be announced from Larence funeral home Anson. She was a member of the Baptist Church.
Mrs. Rhodes, the former Betty Ann Stallings was born in North Carolina on July 22, 1862. She was married in 1878 to J. H. Rhodes in that state and the family move to Jones County from there 50 years ago.
Eight of eleven children survive, A. A. of Paducah, Mrs. Dora Cook of Haskell, W. W & John of California; Mrs. Tom Christian of California; Mrs. Annie Thomas of Hawley; Ivey Rhodes of Haskell; and Mrs. Young Walker of Haskell. A brother Scott Stallings, lived at LaGrange, N.C. and there are 42 grandchildren and 33 great grandchildren. Her husband died in 1923.
Both are buried at Central Cemetery in Hawley, Jones Co., Texas
Children of Joseph Hill Rhodes and Bettie Stallings are:
1) Cora Rhodes, b. 12 Sept. 1881, Jones Co., NC; married Frank Sedberry.
2) Amos Allen Rhodes, b. 27 May 1884, Jones Co., NC- d. 18 Jan. 1964, Childress Co., Texas; married Daisie Mattie Wood.
3) Randolph Tug Rhodes, b. 10 Feb. 1886, Jones Co., N.C. - 28 March 1918, Jones Co., Texas; married Laura Riley.
4) Hattie E. King Rhodes, b. 15 Jan. 1888, Jones Co., N.C. - d. Nov. 1888.
5) Dora May Rhodes, b. 19 Sept. 1889, Jones Co., N.C. - d. 14 March 1978, Lubbock, Texas; married Bill Cook.
6) Nora Evelyn Rhodes, b. 4 Nov. 1891, Jones Co., N.C. - d. 30 Dec. 1973, Los Angeles, CA.; married J. Thomas Christian.
7) Walter William Rhodes, b. 1 Sept. 1895, Texas - d. 8 Feb. 1971, Riverbank, Stanislaus Co., CA; married Sybil Christian.
8) John Thomas Rhodes, b. 7 Feb. 1898, Texas - d. 3 Oct. 1978, Stanislaus, CA., married Bertha Catherine.
9) Annie Edith Rhodes, b. 8 May 1900, Texas, married Elmer/Earl? Thomas.
10) Ivey Becton Rhodes, b. 19 Aug. 1902 - d. 28 Sept. 1973, Haskell Co., Texas; married Annie Kerfew.
11) Theodore "Pud" Roosevelt Rhodes, b. 2 June 1905, Texas - d. 1994, Anson, Jones Co., Texas. She married Young Walker.
Thanks to Cheryl Begg, (firstname.lastname@example.org) for sending these pictures. She is a direct descendant of this family.
Here is a picture of Joseph Hill Rhodes, wife Bettie Stallings and family.
This is a picture of Bettie Ann Stallings Rhodes sometime about 1930-1940, taken in Texas.
This is a picture of Nora Rhodes, daughter of Joseph Hill Rhodes and Bettie Ann Stallings, taken in 1907, age 16.
This is picture of Nora Rhodes Christian and children (baby) John Christian, and son Tom in forground, 1923.
(Picture below was on Ancestry.com and submitted by Iveysboy1)
Also sent to Joseph Hill Rhodes in Texas from his brother Ivey Becton Rhodes was a picture of himself and his wife Cordelia "Delia" Heath Metts and their daughter Molly's child.
More will be added about this family.
Please e-mail me at email@example.com if you have any further information on these families.