ALSEY A. ROCHELLE FAMILY
ROCHELLE family first came out of Wake Co., N.C., then moved to
Tennessee. William ROCHELLE, b. abt. 1754 married 1)Rachel
THOMAS, 6 Dec. 1779 in Wake Co., N.C. They had the following
children:1)Thomas 2)Ann 3)Alsey A. 4)John & 5)Elizabeth. The
2nd marriage of William ROCHELLE and Mary RAY, 17 Feb. 1801 in
Wake Co.; yielded the following issue: 1)William Wyatt 2)Wiley S.-b.
13 May 1802 3)Mason 4)Lucy 5)Nancy 6)Henderson B.-b. March 1812.
Please go to the ROCHELLE/KING Bible to see this family record. Click on picture to enlarge
Children of the 1st marriage of William ROCHELLE & Rachel THOMAS Of Wake Co., N.C.
Alsey A. ROCHELLE, b. abt. 1785 in Wake Co., N.C.; was one of three known sons of William ROCHELLE and Rachel THOMAS. He first appears in Wake Co., N.C. records- in an Estate record of John RAY, deceased, dated: 12 March 1807; as a buyer of personal property. He married Milly HALL, on 14 Dec. 1812. Military records list him as serving in the War of 1812 in Ensign Whitakers Co., Artillery, as a private in the N.C. Militia.
He married 1st)Milley HALL on 14 Dec. 1812 in Wake Co., N.C. Milley HALL and Alsey A. ROCHELLE had the following children:
- 1)William Yancey ROCHELLE, b. abt. 1814 (he married Gilley MARCOM on 13 April 1846)
- 2)Abram ROCHELLE, b. abt. 1815
- 3)Melissa ROCHELLE, b. 27 March 1816-d.27 Jan. 1862, (married John MARCOM on 23 Jan. 1840)
- 4)Hawkins ROCHELLE, b. abt. 1818
- 5)Tapley W. ROCHELLE, b. 10 Aug. 1820-d.22 Dec. 1896 in Hickman Co., Tenn.-(married Eliza Jane RHODES on 15 Dec. 1840 in Orange Co., N.C.)
- 6) Sarah K. ROCHELLE-b. 6 Sept. 1822-d. 15 Sept. 1899-(married Richard S. ROSS, on 16 Dec. 1840)
- 7)George Washington ROCHELLE, b. 8 Aug. 1824-d.1 Jan. 1856-(married Mary Jane HALSY on 17 July 1850)
- 8)Alsey High ROCHELLE, b. 25 Jan. 1827-d.4 Nov. 1904; married Mary Jane MORRIS
- 9)Alvin ROCHELLE, who married Eliza Hawkins RONE on 22 Nov. 1841.
(This is a short history of the HALL family home, located in Wake Co., N.C. It is not known who wrote it, but it comes from the files of Hubert B. ROCHELLE.)
The school house on Cheek Road near Junction is an old HALL property. I have been to Millie HALL'S old home (cabin) before the war. Alvin ROCHELLE'S home was directly across the road from the school. My Grand father was Fendell the son of Alvin (ROCHELLE?). He inherited the 27 acres that the school now stands on. My father Dennis received it from Fendell and sold it soon after the war. I didn't know he had sold it until after his death. Millie HALL was my great, great, great grandmother. Across the railroad tracks there is a Primitive Baptist Church with a grave yeard behind it. There are many FINDLE'S buried there. I believe my grand father was named after them with a variation in spelling. This was probably casued by them not being too well educated and they used phonetics.
"Abstracts of Rev. War Pension Files"
HALL, Robert & Mary-R4492, N.C. Line, a son Thomas HALL applied 21 July 1856, Wake Co., N.C.; aged 54. Soldier lived in Guilford Co., N.C. at enlisted, soldier died before 1832 in Wake Co., N.C. leaving a widow whose maiden name was Mary ROSS & she died 4 Jan. 1840 leaving 8 children: Durham HALL, Susan SMITH, Jan or Jane COOK, May or Mary WHEELER, Sarah DAY, Elizabeth ROCHEL & Thomas HALL. Soldier & widow had married 25 May 1780, children were: William HALL, b. 27 Nov. 1781, Milly HALL, b. 25 July 1784, Durram HALL, b. 29 oct. 1786, Susan HALL, b. 25 May 1789, Janey HALL, b. 4 July 1791, Robert HALL, Jr., b. 1 Sept. 1798, Mary HALL, b. 28 Nov. 1795, Betsea HALL, b. 10 oct. 1799, Thomas HALL, b. 26 April 1802 & Sary HALL, b. 17 Feb. 1805. Soldier was b. 8 June 1757 & he died 23 Feb. 1820.
- Melissa ROCHELLE, daughter of Alsey A. ROCHELLE and Milley HALL was born 27 March 1816. She married John MARKHAM on 23 Jan. 1840 in Wake Co., N.C..He was born 7 Feb. 1809 in Wake co., N.C. He died 19 Aug. 1881 and is buried in the Rochelle Family Graveyard in Wake Co., N.C. below Durham Memorial Church. Melissa Rochelle MARKUM, died 27 Jan. 1862 and is buried also in the Rochelle Family Cemetery, Durham, N.C. This Cemetery is located on Wake Forest Road below Durham Memorial Church.
Melissa ROCHELLE & John MARKAM had the following children:
- James A. MARKHAM
- Agnes MARKHAM, b. 1842 in Wake Co., N.C.
- William A. MARKHAM
- Rotelia MARKHAM
- Samuel Dawson MARKHAM
- Sarah Jane MARKHAM
- Mary MARKHAM, b. 1858 in Wake Co., N.C.
Alsey A. ROCHELLE married Martha LYNN, his 2nd wife on 27 Aug. 1851 in Orange Co., N.C. No known children of this marriage. He left many deeds of land to his children in Wake Co. and died there about 1862.
Alsey A. ROCHELLE & Milly HALL'S son Tapely W. ROCHELLE was one of the sons to migrate to Tennesse along with his Uncles-Henderson, William Wyatt & Wiley S. ROCHELLE.
Tapley W. ROCHELLE, b. 10 Aug. 1820 in Wake Co., N.C. married Eliza Jane RHODES on 15 Dec. 1840 in Orange Co., N.C. Tapley ROCHELLE stayed in Wake Co., N.C. until after 1855, possibly moving with his Uncle Henderson B. ROCHELLE; who brought his mother Mary Ray ROCHELLE with them; along with their wives and children to Lawrence Co., Tenn. (there were 4 moves by William & Rachel ROCHELLES descendants to Tenn.)
Tapley W. ROCHELLE and Eliza Jane RHODES had the following children:
- 1) Wyatt Clovis ROCHELLE, b. abt. 1841
- 2)Thomas Jasper ROCHELLE, b. abt. 1842
- 3)Samantha ROCHELLE, b. abt. 1844
- 4) William ROCHELLE, b. abt. 1846
- 5) Fender ROCHELLE, b. abt. 1848
- 6) Nancy Jane ROCHELLE, b. abt. 1849
- 7)George Newton ROCHELLE, b. 27 June 1851-d.21 Dec. 1924- married Virginia Catherine BATSON on 21 Sept. 1873.
- 8) William O. ROCHELLE, b. 5 Nov. 1857-d. 19 Nov. 1940; married a)M. L. CARROLL; b) Alice NEWTON, c) Edda TARKINGTON
- 9) Arnold James ROCHELLE, b. abt. 1862
- 10) Minerva Ann ROCHELLE, b. abt. 1863; and married Lewis GRIMMETT.
Obituary of Eliza Jane Rhodes ROCHELLE, sent by Marion ROCHELLE
HICKMAN CO. PIONEER, JAN. 25, 1884-"GRAYTOWN NEWS"
George Newton ROCHELLE and Virginia Catherine BATSON lived in Hickman Co., Tennessee. The following pictures were sent by Lee FORTNER, a direct descendant; please contact him at Lee FORTNER.
George Newton ROCHELLE, known as Newt ROCHELLE, b. 27 June 1851 was a farmer and a peddler; going door to door. He married Virginia Catherine BATSON, "Jenny"; on 21 Sept. 1873. She was born 26 Oct. 1854, in Clarksville, Montgomery Co., Tenn. She was the daughter of (unknown) BATSON and Arabella TURNER. She died 12 June 1936 and is buried in Hickman Co., Tenn. ]]]]
George died on 21 Dec. 1924, in Nashville; and she died 12 June 1936. Their children were:
- 1)Lizzie Paulina ROCHELLE, b. 14 Feb. 1875-d.14 Aug. 1961; she married John U. Tatum FORTNER, b. Sept. 1873 in Tenn.; son of Charles D. FORTNER and Teresa Jemima PARRIS. They were married 18 Aug. 1895.
- 2)Thomas Dillard ROCHELLE, b. 1 Dec. 1877-d. 28 Jan. 1942
- 3)Bertie Arbell ROCHELLE, b. 23 Feb. 1880-d. 22 Feb. 1963. married Omer TOTTY on 18 Dec. 1900;
- 4)Robert Arthur ROCHELLE, b. 28 May 1882-d.22 Jan. 1972; buried Hickman Co., Tenn. Married to 1)Sarah F. HARVILLE, 23 Nov. 1901- 2)Cora CLIMER
- 5)George Oron ROCHELLE, b. 5 March 1885-d.1 Jan. 1960; buried Hickman Co., Tenn. He married Jennie Mae NICKS abt. 1908 in Humphreys Co., Tenn.
- 6)Dennis Bernard ROCHELLE, b. 1 April 1889-d. 14 March 1906, (died) Clarksville, Montgomery Co., Tenn. Buried Hickman Co., Tenn.;
- 7)Eva Eliza ROCHELLE, b. 26 July 1894-d. 30 March 1981, Shelby Co., Tenn. She married 1)Raleigh CAPPS, 2) T. E. POORE.
This is a picture of George Newton ROCHELLE, Virginia ROCHELLE, and his daughter Eva ROCHELLE.
This is a picture of George Newton ROCHELLE & family, sent by Mac McCaleb. Thanks Mac.
This picture is Virginia ROCHELLE feeding her chickens at her home in Centerville, Tenn.
OBITUARY OF MRS. G. N. ROCHELLE
Mrs. G. N. ROCHELLE Dies Defeated Creek Home (1936)
Mrs. Virginia C. Batson ROCHELLE, 81, wife of the late G. N. ROCHELLE, died at her home with a daughter, Mrs. Eva CAPPS on Defeated Creek, north of here on Friday, June 12 at 10 o'clock in the evening, following several weeks of illness.
Funeral services at the home on Sunday at noon were conducted by the Rev. E. W. TIDWELL of Fourth Civil District, a minister of the Baptist church and burial was at the family cemetery on premises of the home.
Surviving are daughters, Mrs. Lizzie FORTNER of Birmingham, Ala., Mrs. Birtie TOTTY of Memphis, Mrs. Eva CAPPS of the home; sons, T. D. ROCHELLE of Palehatchie, Miss; Arthur ROCHELLE of Nashville and G. O. ROCHELLE of near here; 28 grandchildren and 15 great grandchildren.
Mrs. ROCHELLE was born near Clarksville 81 years and eight months ago. She was married to late G. N. ROCHELLE on September 21, 1873, since when she had lived in this community. She was a member of the Baptist Church, beloved by family and many friends.
This is a picture of George Newton ROCHELLE
This is a picture of Lizzie Rochelle FORTNER , George & Virginia's daughter.
This is a picture of Lizzie FORTNER and her son "Bud" Bernard FORTNER.
This picture is the family of Vachel BARNHILL, b. 18 March 1841 in Hickman Co., Tenn. and Elizabeth Hutchison BARNHILL, born 6 Dec. 1844. From left to right are Docia, Mary, Lizzie, Ludie, William and Alfred. Bottom row left to right are Nancy, Minnie, Elizabeth, Vachel and Tom.
This picture is of Lizzie Rochelle FORTNER at her daughter's house (Eva Rochelle POORE) in Hohenwald, Tn.; sitting on the front porch.
The Family picture below was taken at Lizzie FORTNER'S & Virgina ROCHELLE'S house. Virginia Catherine ROCHELLE is in front sitting down (moma). May and Oron ROCHELLE are standing by the right hand tree in the back. Oron is holding one of their children.
Below is a closeup of the family picture above.
Woman with hands folded-left-is Pearl BARNHILL. Left of Pearl is Christine Capps LOWE, Eva Rochelle CAPP'S daughter and the lady holding her is Minnie TOTTY little boy to Minnie's left is Joe CAPPS, Christine's brother. The lady next to Joe's left is Aunt Lew BROWN and Virginia ROCHELLE is sitting down in the front. The girl to the right of Pearl is Ms. MATHEWS and to the left is Velse TRUITT, left of her is Dorothy MATHEWS. Oron ROCHELLE in back is holding his daughter Georgia Mae ROCHELLE and his wife May is to the right by the tree.
Here is another Picture of the ROCHELLE HOMEPLACE
This is a picture of Charles & Joseph ROCHELLE, standing in front of the barn in 1989.
This is a picture of Charlie FORTNER & buddies-WWI
sent by Lee Fortner
Below is a picture of Oron & May ROCHELLE
Below are the tombstones and Cemetery which is located on the old ROCHELLE homeplace property.
Above are Lizze Rochelle FORTNER and her mother Virginia (Jennie) ROCHELLE'S tombstones.
Centerville, Tn. Townsquare about 1961.
William O. ROCHELLE, b. 5 Nov. 1857-d. 29 Oct. 1940.
He was the 8th son of Tapley W. ROCHELLE and Eliza Jane RHODES.
He married 3 times. 1st wife was M. L. CARROLL-no issue is known.
2nd wife was Alice NEWTON, whom he married on 25 May 1891 in Wayne Co., Tenn. They had the following children:
- Lillie A. ROCHELLE, b. abt. May 1892
- William Arch ROCHELLE, b. Jan. 1894 in Hickman Co., Tenn.-d. abt. 1971. He married Bessie OVERBY
- Early T. ROCHELLE, b. Nov. 1895
- Nellie May ROCHELLE, b. Aug. 1899, Hickman Co., Tenn.
William O. ROCHELLE's 3rd wife was Edda TARKINGTON, who he married on 23 Feb. 1905 in Hickman Co., Tenn.
William Arch ROCHELLE and Bessie OVERBY, had the following children:
- Arthur ROCHELLE
- Georgie ROCHELLE
- Edna ROCHELLE
- William Morris ROCHELLE
Below is a picture of William Arch ROCHELLE and his wife Bessie.
If you have any further pictures or information on these families; please contact me Sloan Mason