Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

The Hasylryg Tomb

The Hasylryg Tomb
Farnworth, Julia & Peter, ed.
A Guide and History of The Church of St. Edwards, King and Martyr, Castle Donington.
By Rev M. U. Allchin August 1968. Second Edition August 1995

The fine alabaster tomb of Robert Hasylryg and his wife Eleanor was placed in the church on the death of Eleanor in 1529, but moved East a little during the restoration of 1875. Robert was a gentleman serving Queen Katherine of Aragon. In his will dated Donington Park 26th January 1534, he directs that he be "buried in the quire of the North side of the church by his wife". He died in 1536. Does his use of the word "quire" indicate there was once a chapel here? There is no other indication that there was a chapel. The tomb is interesting and showing early Renaissance influence, round heads to the niches housing the weepers or mourners and twisted columns at the corners. On the Eastern side of the chest is a mutilated Virgin and Child, on the Western a mutilated Trinity. The mourners are friars with staff and beads, alternating with figures holding shields, now blank. Robert is shown with his head resting on his tilting helmet, his hands on the coiled up strap to which the buckle of his helmet was fixed. He wears the S.S. collar of the House of Lancaster. Invented by Henry IV before his accession, and supposed to symbolize the word "Soverayne", this was worn by persons of every degree from royalty to esquire, and also by ladies and civilians. The dog of which Robert's feet rest wears a collar of Tudor roses. Eleanor's wears a pedimented or kennel head dress, and has three chains round her neck. A mantle hangs from her shoulders secured by a cord across her breast, while a little dog bites the hem of her kirtle. The tomb has been much mutilated by initials, the chief offenders, it is said being the boys of Wilson's Boarding School, who sat in the adjoining pews during the latter part of last century.

Close up of Tomb
In the folds of Lady Hasylryl's skirt there is the name of Thomas Roby and the date of 1633, which is hard to see in this photograph.

Pictures are from William G Robey Jr's trip to Castle Donington in the summer of 1999.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional