THIS IS AN INTERESTING STORY ABOUT Amos Burdyne, ANCESTOR OF THE
NEWTON COUNTY, ARKANSAS BURDINES.
In the book "History of Lincoln County" written by Dr. Joseph A. MUDD
for the front section of the 1878 Lincoln Co.,Missouri Atlas ,there
is written the following about Amos BURDYNE and James BURDYNE(this
would be Jim "Critter"BURDINE).
The first mentioned is James BURDYNE in the section called "The
Slicker War". This is about how some of the citizens of Lincoln
County,Missouri decided to handle justice themselves by slicking
(whipping with hickory switches, or worse) these cattle thieves,
horse thieves, etc.
The article states "The "slickers" retired without accomplishing
anything further. This affair caused great excitement, and a
company of "anti-slickers" was organized the next day in the vicinity
of Flint Hill, and maintained guards and pickets on the fords of
On one occasion the "slickers" gathered in force to drive them
from this county, and made a rapid march to where the "anties" were
supposed to be, but arrived too late.
One evening Joseph L. WOODSON and James BURDYNE were coming from
Troy, and just opposite Mont. Cottle's, BURDYNE a few feet behind,
sitting sideways, was telling about a game of poker that he had
gotten into that day: "I had," said he, "three jacks and a pair of
aces, and" ------when the report of gunfire rang out, and the blaze
from the guns was seen in the bushes on the side of the road.
Neither was hurt, but they quickened their pace considerably, and the
luck of the three jacks and pair of aces was never told.
After riding a hundred yards, Burdyne remembered that he had a
horseman's pistol, and proposed to go back and "give em a shot,"
but he was overruled.
Also mentioned in this book is Amos Burdyne regarding the
naming of Towns and places in this area...... Monroe was laid off as
county seat by Daniel Draper. Hugh Cummins, James White, Abraham
Kennedy and David Bailey, on the lands of Nathaniel Simonds, Ira
Cottle and Almond Cottle, May 19,1819, with Amos Burdyne and Jacob
Comegys as witnesses, and acknowledged before Prospect K. Robbins,
Justice of the Peace.
The plan was on a style becoming the future county seat; the six
streets running parallel to the river were numbered and the ten cross
streets were named after the public men of the day.
Chain of Rocks was laid off on a Spanish grant about 1835; no plat
recorded. The name was given it by General Amos Burdyne, on account
of a section of archimides limestone exposed in the bank of Cuivre
in front of the town.
This story, plus many others, are told in the Newton County
Historical Society's "Newton County Family History Book 2".
Check with the Historical Society at their website. A Surname Index
for this book is on their website.
Newton County Historical Society
AMOS BURDYNE was the great-great-great grandfather of this
Copying, posting, reprinting or any other use of these stories (other than for YOUR PERSONAL USE) without the express written consent of this author, is prohibited and a breech of copyright laws.
Not familiar with copyright laws? Click on the link below!!
SHED SOME LIGHT ON COPYRIGHT LAWS