Ithaca Township, Richland County, Wisconsin
WILLOW VALLEY CEMETERY
Catalogued October 30, 1974 by H. A. Dieter. Location is two miles
north of Sextonville, Wisconsin on County Trunk B, Section 30, Town of
Ithaca. The first acre of land was donated on June 1, 1855 by Thomas P.
Derrickson. The names Derrickson and Willow Valley remained synonymous
for nearly a half century. Death and burial records often identified
with Derrickson, even after the formation of a cemetery association,
known as Willow Creek, which was organized April 12, 1868. A
board fence, partially picket, was ordered built and the same
properly installed during that year. In later years more land was added
and a new fence built with the name Willow Valley placed over one
entrance. The grounds are in fair condition with the exception of a
very old section about midway. Many such family plots became public
cemeteries as communities were established. However, a certain number
of graves here remain marked only by plain footstones. They stand in
mute evidence of their time. The first known burials in 1849 were those
of Hester A. and James F., children of Thomas P. and Rachel L.
Chew Derrickson. The father, Thomas, was buried in 1909 in a private
plot one half mile north and a few rods southeast of Aubrey Corners.
Further reference can be found in a separate account of the Thomas P.
Derrickson Plot, touching their lives and related events.
Back to This Cemetery's Main Page