Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

                                            

                                                      Patch Acres Cemetery
                                                                AKA Copenhefer Cemetery
                                                     Marshall Township, Richland County, Wisconsin  USA

                                             HERE THEY SLEEP Narrative


ONE STONE ON PATCH ACRES

Mariah Gillingham Marshall (Mrs. James Marshall) one stone only. Names of Mother and son Simon on stone. Checked by H. A. Dieter October 10, 1974. Located in Section # 9, Town of Marshall. This early plot was begun in the mid 1850's. It lies in the N.E. corner in the original S.E. 80 acres Section # 9, formerly owned by Glen Patch. There were other stones as reported by Mr. Patch. One of these was just over the section line fence between No. 4 - 9. It is believed that one grave was that of a Copenhefer child. A McCauley child was said to have been buried near the now standing Marshall monument. The Barnard McCauley homestead was a short distance from the aforesaid area. Barnard was the father of Alex McCauley, whose one son is remembered as Lou McCauley of Richland Center, now deceased. The Marshall stone is still legible, considering the elapsed time since it was placed on it's present spot. We may yet find the place of burial of one James Marshall, husband and father of the deceased members of this early family. He was buried in Ohio.    [Mariah's] husband had died and she came to Richland County to live with her children. The Marshalls and Gillinghams were among the early settlers, some arriving in Central Wisconsin in the early forties. The complete family history of Mariah Gillingham Marshall (Mrs. James) is on pages 6 and 7 of  "The Descendants of Thomas Gillingham" book located in the Richland County Room, Brewer Library, Richland Center, Wisconsin. Land was originally owned by Martin Copenhefer.

                                                              Go Back  to This Cemetery's Main Page