Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

 

                                                        Newburn Cemetery
                                                              AKA Eagle Corners Cemetery
                                            
Eagle Township, Richland County, Wisconsin  USA

                                           
Tales The Tombstones Tell - Republican Observer - December 13, 1956

                                 The Newburn and Greenwood Cemeteries
                                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                                               The Newburn Cemetery

When Jeremiah B. Newburn came to the town of Eagle in 1852 and located at what is now Eagle Corners, he became in 1870 postmaster of the cross roads village and was Uncle Sam's head man at that point until 1882, when he resigned in favor of John A. Lawrence. There is a cemetery a half mile straight south of Eagle Corners, known as the Newburn cemetery, and Mr. Newburn and members of his family are buried therein.

    The cemetery is now a neglected one to say the least, overgrown with brush, many of the tombstones there are almost hidden from view. Perhaps 20 or 30 tombstones are in this burying ground and only two of them are of granite. Of the marble ones time and the elements have taken toll of the words engraved upon them, so much so that they cannot be read.

    On the Newburn stone it says he "died February 28, 1886; aged 71 years, 3 months and 26 days." We learn that he came to Richland county in 1852, remained a short time then returned to his home in Edgar county, Illinois. The next June he loaded his wife and family and their household goods on a wagon and started for Richland county. They camped at night by the roadside and after 20 days reached their destination; built a rude cabin in which they lived for several years. A new house was built but burned down in 1875, so he built another home.

    He was a native of Pennsylvania, born December 2, 1814. When two years of age he was bitten by a snake and was a cripple for 14 years, not being able to work. In 1838 he was married to Caroline Mapes.

    "James Harvey - Susan Harvey" is all that one monument says but a GAR emblem is there. We note that a James Harvey opened a store in Eagle Corners in 1879.

    Some of the monuments bear the names of Craigo, Boak, Lightfoot, Barrett, Pool, and Cornwell. Margaret Pool, we note by the stone on her grave, was born October 14, 1844, and died March 28, 1935.

    One stone reads:
        Leander Cooper 1858-1935.
        Lucinda Cooper 1859-1934.

    Three large cedar trees stand in this neglected cemetery. Rev. A. R. Moon is buried close to the north fence. His tombstone reads:
        "Rev. A. R. Moon, born at Bernington, Vt., March 6, 1815,
         Died March 17, 1901."

    On one side of the monument is a Masonic emblem and on the other side it reads: "Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God." Matt. 5.8


S.F.


                                                  Go Back  to This Cemetery's Main Page