Akan Township, Richland County, Wisconsin USA
Tales The Tombstones Tell -
Republican Observer - December 6, 1956
The Felton Cemetery
The Felton cemetery in the town of Akan, is located
in the north portion of that township, in fact right on the town line
in section four. A town road is between the towns of Akan and
Sylvan. It is quite an old burying ground and contains many of the old
settlers of that area. Many of the Chitwood clan are there and other
names appearing on the stones are Dobbs, Wallace, Coppernoll, Helm,
Burns, Popp, Dahl, Cook, Eaton, Clanin, Alderman, Beeman, Dobson,
Sheffield, Felton, Armstrong. These together with others appear upon
the old and newer monuments in this cemetery. John Chitwood, who died
February 14, 1875, aged 78 years, and Stephen Marsh, who died February
3, 1874, aged 81 are two who were born before 1700. On the monument of
John Chitwood is this inscription:
"My dear children, prepare to
meet me in heaven."
Mr. Chitwood was a native of Tennessee and came to
Richland county in 1855. He raised a large family.
Benjamine Adams is another aged citizen buried in
the Felton cemetery. He was born in 1820 and died in 1902 at the age of
82. On this monument is says:
"Rest father, rest in quiet sleep,
While friends in sorrow
o'er thee weep."
Mrs. Adams died in June 1874, at the age of 55.
There is a stone for D. E. Felton and his wife
Nancy. Also for their children Agnes E. who died in 1878; and Rhoda A,
who passed on in 1879.
Mary McMillin, 23 years of age, a daughter of Mr.
and Mrs. James McMillin, died in 1888. On her gravestone is this:
"Yet again we hope to meet you
In that land so bright and
Stand by the pearly gates
Mary and be the first to
meet us there."
Wilson Slayback, born in 1849, died in 1925; and his
wife Lucy, born in 1854 and died in 1933 found final rest in this
cemetery close to relatives and friends.
Solomon Hall, who passed on April 8, 1880, has this
on his monument:
"Dearest father you have left us,
We shall never see thee
Till God call us home to
that ever green shore."
Mr. Hall's wife Ellen, who died in 1893, has this
upon the stone:
"Rest in heaven, O what pleasure
Those blissful words afford.
There again we'll clasp our
Safe forever with the Lord."
Four early settlers, James Bachtenkircher and
his wife Sarah, Mr. and Mrs. Levi Slayback are in adjoining lots. Mr.
Slayback was born in 1847, according to his tombstone Mr.
Bachtenkircher was born in 1835 and died in 1923, his wife Sarah was
born in 1838 and passed on in 1902. Sarah was a daughter of Mr. and
Mrs. Hezekiah Slaback, early settlers of the town of Sylvan. They were
married in 1861. Mr. Bachtenkircher first came to Richland county in
1855 but did not remain but returned to Indiana. In 1860 he and a
companion started for Pike's Peak in a wagon drawn by oxen. They
reached Central City, Colorado, where Mr. Bachtenkircher remained until
November when he started back toward the east and in 1862 he
bought land in Sylvan. The western fever hit him again, so he
sold his land and moved to Kansas, where he and his wife remained a few
years and then returned to Richland county where they spent the
remaining days of their lives.
There is a World War veteran, John Coppernoll,
buried in the Felton cemetery. His marker states that he was a Pfc. in
Co. G, 505 Abn. Inft. He was born on January 12, 1932 and died July 29,
A few Civil War veterans are buried there. One of
these is Geo. Armstrong, born February 8, 1834, and died January 5,
1910. He enlisted in the 1st Wisconsin Battery, September 10, 1961, and
served until October 11, 1864. Wm. Helm is another Civil War
veteran in this cemetery. He was a member of Co. E., 101 Regt., Indiana
Volunteer Infantry. Mr. Helm was born in 1842 and died in 1909. His
wife, Lustisha, was born in 1855 and died in 1907. George Thomas,
Indiana Vol., born in 1839 and died in 1907, rests in this cemetery.
There are a number of the Beeman clan in the
cemetery. John Beeman is one of them, and his wife Mary, is another. He
was born in 1830 and died in 1895; she was born in 1832 and passed to
the Great Beyond in 1907.
The cemetery is well kept and burials therein, while
not numerous these days, are still being made.
Back to This Cemetery's Main Page