Dayton Township, Richland County, Wisconsin
DAYTON CORNERS CEMETERY
Catalogued September 6, 1975 by the Brush Creek 4-H Club under the
direction of Mrs. Al Havlick. Located along a town road 0.7 mile south
of junction County Trunk ZZ and U. S. 14, section 23, Town of Dayton.
The cemetery began as a Methodist churchyard cemetery. The church is no
longer in use while the burial site is now public. The grounds are in
fair condition, The first known burial was in 1858. The name Dayton is
also synonymous with Dayton Ridge, which once boasted of a prominent
share in the early settlement plus the blazing of a pioneer highway
across the several ridges northward from the flat country to the south.
A hotel, barbershop, U. S. Post Office, trading post and residential
units were clustered about, as well as churches, town hall and grade
school. It indeed was a road to the north until expansion on all sides
began to diminish the long held importance of a landmark settlement
such as Dayton Corners.
Back to This Cemetery's Main Page