Eagle Township, Richland County, Wisconsin USA
Tales The Tombstones Tell - Republican Observer - November 29, 1956
Located on highway 80, a scant half mile south of
the Pleasant Hill school house in the town of Eagle, is the Dawson
cemetery, a well kept burying ground.
The cemetery was surveyed in September, 1881, by
James Appleby. It is on the farm, at the time owned by Wm. H. Dawson;
and the site was selected as a burying ground by Mrs. Dawson before she
died the year previous, her death taking place, so the tombstone
records, January 13, 1880. The monument reads:
"Sacred to the memory of Sarah,
wife of W. H. Dawson,
who fell asleep in Jesus,
January 13, 1880"
Below this is engraved:
"Think O ye, who fondly languish
O'er the graves of those ye
While your bosom throbs
They are warbling hymns
While our silent steps are
Lonely through night's
Glory's brightest beams are
Around this happy distant
Mrs. Dawson was a daughter of William and Charlotte
Miller, first white settlers of Hoosier Hollow. She was born in
Kentucky, March 24, 1823. In the fall of 1849 she was married to Wm. H.
Dawson and a week after the marriage they started for their new home in
the wilds of Wisconsin, Hoosier Hollow, being their destination. They
came from Indiana with horses and a wagon, camping out along the way
and after their arrival at their new home they lived in their wagon
until a cabin could be built. And thus it was that the bride of a week
began pioneer life in the wilderness. Following her death in 1880, Mr.
Dawson was again married to Sarah Rebecca Bobb, a daughter of Peter and
Margaret Bobb, who resided on Indian Creek not far from the village of
Mr. and Mrs. Dawson resided on the farm in Hoosier
Hollow for some time, later moved to the village of Orion where he kept
store and served as postmaster of the village. His store, he opened in
1865 and was appointed postmaster the following year and served for
Mr. Dawson died in November 1899, at the age of 74.
His second wife lived upon the farm for quite some time following his
death, rented the fields and carried on the management of the place,
then moved to California where she resided until her death on February
4, 1939. Her body was brought back and buried on the same lot with Mr.
Dawson and his first wife. Upon the same monument is an inscription
which reads "Our Bertie, born 1879 and died in 1888." This lad was
Bertie Cook, son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Cook, who lived for many years
at Riverview, in the town of Orion. The second Mrs. Dawson was his aunt
and the boy, a favorite of Mr. and Mrs. Dawson, spent most of his time
at their home. His death was caused by drowning in Mill Creek not far
from the Dawson home. The accident caused much gloom in the Dawson and
Cook homes. He was buried on the Dawson lot.
Much could be written in regard to Mr. William
H. Dawson. He served in the Civil War, enlisting in July, 1861, as a
second lieutenant, went south but after some nine months time became
ill and was sent home and after a time recovered and resumed farming.
Mr. Dawson, for some reason or other took a great dislike to Secret
Societies, providing in his will that upon his death his farm would
become the property of an anti-secret society in Chicago. His widow was
to have the use of the farm as long as she lived. She rented the land
but made no improvements except to the house in which she lived. The
barn and sheds fell down from lack of care and the death of the second
Mrs. Dawson in California, the estate was probated and the odd
provisions of the will carried out, the land going into the hands of
the anti-secret society officers, and they sold it to Richland county
It is now owned, we, believe, by Louie Zahalka. It
is a fine farm a part of it back some 50 or 60 years was heavily
wooded, giant trees grew therein and the site contained many Indian
mounds of all shapes and sizes. Camp meetings were held there and the
place was known far and wide as Dawson's Grove. It is located not far
from Balmoral. Upon the monument for Mr. Dawson it says:
W. H. Dawson
Aged 74 Years
"Peaceful beauty, silent rest,
Slumber sweetly, God knew
When to call thee home to
Thou has loved us long and
How we miss thee none can
Jesus called thee, all is
We have said our last
'Till we meet beyond the
Hoping there with thee to
Farewell loved ones."
And so the curtain was drawn upon the life and
fortune of William H. Dawson.
Near the front gate of the Dawson burying ground is
a monument for a girl. An angel carved out of marble stands watch for
the little miss. She was Lucile, a daughter of Everette and Ida Miller,
born November 23rd 1910, and died July 25, 1912.
A monument for William McCoy and his wife Ruth,
stands not far away. He was born in 1829; and died in 1900; his wife
was born in 1833 and passed away in 1925. On the stone it says:
"In labor and in love allied,
In death they sleep side by
Resting in peace the aged
'Till Christ shall rise
them up again."
Clement Stanczhjk, a soldier, served in World War
II; born on June 30, 1908, and died June 5, 1951.
In this cemetery are buried relatives of those
buried at Pleasant Hill and Lycurgus Recob is one of them. His father
is buried at Pleasant Hill. Mr. Recob was born in 1856 and died in
1905. His death was a tragic one, he being killed by a vicious
hog. His wife was Carrie Ward, born in 1857, and passed on in
1920. Her parents Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ward also sleep here.
Member of the Royal Wright family, among the
early settlers of Hoosier Hollow, are at rest in this burying ground.
Mr. Wright was born May 2, 1812, and died February 28, 1898. On one of
the markers it reads:
Wife of Edwin
Sharp, born June 18, 1888,
and died October 31, 1908.
the dead who die in the Lord."
J. A. Sharp has a marker on his grave. He was one of
the early comers to Hoosier Hollow.
Another well known pioneer, Charles Miles, is buried
in the Dawson cemetery, as was his Mary. Charles was born in October,
1802, and died February 16, 1898. His wife a native of Shenandoah
county, Virginia was born October 15, 1800, and passed on January 5,
James McClintock, born in 1827, died in 1915, and is
buried by his wife, Patsy, who was born in 1830 and died in 1921.
Another aged couple buried in this cemetery are
James Lewis and his wife Anna.
John Wilson, a member of Co. C, 8th Tennessee
Cavalry, has a marker on his grave.
Members of the Comar, family are among those resting
in the Dawson burying ground. Lida Comar is one of these. She was born
in Windson, Vt., June 21, 1826, and passed from this earth, August 26,
1908. A verse reads:
"Dear Mother in earth's thorny
how long thy feet have trod,
To find at last this
Safe in the arms of God."
Some of the familiar names that appear upon the
headstones are Fry, Collins, Case, Fay, Elder, Smelcer, and Hessler.
On a marker is a pretty verse:
"Yet again we hope to meet thee
When the days of life are
And in heaven we hope to
Where no farewell tears are
As we said before the Dawson cemetery is well kept
and continues to be used though burials there are not frequent. From
this spot one can look across the valley to the south and on the ridge
dividing the Mill Creek and Wisconsin river valleys. There can be
easily noted in bold relief numerous mounds made hundreds of years ago
by the Mound Builders who roamed this region.
The Dawson cemetery basks in the sunshine of summer
and lays white and cold in winter. Autos speed by its gate and trucks
rumble as they pass this sacred a spot.
Back to This Cemetery's Main Page