Richwood Township, Richland County, Wisconsin
Tales The Tombstones Tell - Republican Observer - February 14, 1957
Perhaps there are fifteen to twenty cemeteries in
Richland county that have long since ceased to be used for burial
purposes. The tombstones lay upon the ground covered by grass weeds.
Inscriptions upon the stones have become dim over the years and names,
dates and verses worn by the elements so they are difficult to read.
One of these cemeteries, located in the town of
Richwood, has long since ceased to be used as a burying place. It is
located in section 30 on the farm owned, we believe by Mrs. Lloyd
Chitwood, west and south of the Haskins cemetery. It is on county trunk
W. Back in 1874, according to an atlas of the county, the land was
owned by M. Chitwood. There are a number of stones in the cemetery,
none standing erect. The name Clark appears upon one or two of the
stones and a date on a stone is 1869, it is for a daughter of R. and C.
Clark. The date of death is August 21, 1869, and the child "Almeda",
was one year of age. While in the cemetery we made a few notes of names
and dates, but these have become lost or misplaced and will require
another visit later on.
Back to This Cemetery's Main Page