Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

                                            

                                                          Chitwood Cemetery
                                                      Richwood Township, Richland County, Wisconsin  USA

                                             HERE THEY SLEEP Narrative

CHITWOOD CEMETERY

Catalogued April 28, 1975 by H. A. Dieter. Located 1.7 miles north of  Wis. 60 on County Trunk W.   Knapps Greek follows for some distance to the east of County W and empties into the Wisconsin River south of  Wis. 60. This cemetery, section 30, Town of Richwood, was listed in a plat of 1895 but has long since become obsolete. It was a burial site situated on the old Mathias Chitwood farm, now owned by James P. McHugh. The writer had to probe for and unearth three slab markers which were legible. Several broken parts were found which helped to substantiate reports of at least six stones once present. The last known burial was in 1881. It is now impossible to determine the earliest one. Several other near by cemeteries would scarcely warrant many burials here, except that perhaps the Chitwoods began with family burials earlier than 1869. Mostly children were buried in such family plots leaving no public record, especially before 1872. 



                                                              Go Back  to This Cemetery's Main Page