AKA Summit Cemetery
Forest Township, Richland County,
Tales The Tombstones Tell - Republican Observer - February 14, 1957
Perhaps there are fifteen to twenty cemeteries in
Richland county that have long since ceased to be used for burial
purposes. The tombstones lay upon the ground covered by grass weeds.
Inscriptions upon the stones have become dim over the years and names,
dates and verses worn by the elements so they are difficult to read.
Standing guard over a little burying ground in the
town of Forest is a big pine tree which rears tall and green. This
little cemetery is, we believe, called, Summit. A United Brethren
church once stood in the shade of the tree and close to the final
resting place of the early settlers of that area.
The cemetery is in section 11, town of Forest. In
1874 it was on land owned by John Booher, now owned, we believe, by
William Kintz of Richland Center. The little burying ground contains
but three stones, though we are told some 10 or 12 people are buried
there. The church building no longer stands and the cemetery is
quite hidden from view of passers by on the highway which stands some
100 feet away.
Upon one stone is this inscription:
Died April 15, 1870
Aged 60 years
Upon another stone is this:
John A. Booher
Died February 28, 1864
years, 6 mo. 8 days
The third stone simply says:
1855 - 1931
According to the county history one of the first
churches in the town of Forest was built on section 11 by the United
Brethren denomination. This was prior to the Civil War, and is no doubt
the one which later bore the name of Summit.
Back to This Cemetery's Main Page