AKA Putnam Cemetery
Marshall Township, Richland County, Wisconsin
Tales The Tombstones Tell - Republican Observer - October 31, 1957
This small but well kept cemetery is located
adjoining the Ash Ridge Baptist church on county trunk A, section six
in the town of Marshall. Burials are not frequent these days but the
plot is kept in good shape as all cemeteries should be. The Baptist
church society was first formed here August 9, 1873, with only six
members. Rev. N. L. Sweet was the pastor and meetings were held in the
school house, district No. 3. Meetings were held there until 1877, when
a log church, 20x28 feet was erected. Rev. George D. Stevens was the
first pastor. A Sabbath school was organized in 1871. The church is
still in operation after all these years. The pastor of the Richland
Center Baptist church holds the services. A nice frame building took
the place of the log building.
Among those buried in the cemetery are William P.
Baxter and his wife Victorine. Mr. Baxter was born in 1848 and died in
1916, and his wife was born in 1852. Buried close to them is Samuel
Baxter, and his wife Bertha. Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Baxter were residents
of Richland Center for a number of years. Mr. Baxter was at one time a
member of the city council: a representative from the first ward. He
was born in 1870 and died in 1939. Mrs. Baxter was a daughter of Mr.
and Mrs. Wallace Fogo.
Names upon the tombstones are Elliott, Ewing,
Thornton, Fruit, Sandmire, Buck, Wanless, Talledge, Valenta, Donner,
Hutton and Haines.
Wallace Fogo and his wife Mary are buried here. He
was born in 1848 and she in 1853. Both were natives of Ohio and came
here from the Buckeye state and remained until their death. Mr. Fogo
was a Civil War veteran.
Squire Keys, another prominent citizen of that area
to be buried in this cemetery, was born in 1860 and died in 1905.
Joseph Berkshire, also a Civil War veteran, has a marker. He died, so
his tombstone says, in 1900 at the age of 74 years, one month and two
Richard Jones, born in 1847 and died in 1909,
belonged to an Ohio regiment and served during the conflict between the
North and the South. His wife, Asenath, born in 1850 and died in 1881,
is buried by his side.
George W. Putman and his wife Martha, at whose home
the Ash Ridge Baptist church was organized back in 1873, are among
those who rest in this burying ground. He was born March 24, 1826, and
died March 4, 1899; his wife was born September 28, 1826. Mr. Putman
owned a farm not far from the cemetery. He devoted much of his time in
operating a nursery which he gave the name of Walnut Hill Nursery. Back
in 1874 the farm consisted of 160 acres. The old Putman farm is now
owned, we believe, by Lester Fruit.
William Bergman, who was born in 1857, 100 years
ago, is buried here. He died, according to his tombstone in 1911.
The present church building is a neat frame
structure and in it has been held the last rites of some those who
found rest in the little cemetery adjoining.
Back to This Cemetery's Main Page