Search billions of records on
Reneau Reno Reynaud Logo

Table of Contents | Genealogy TOC | Reneau History | Mikesell History

Reneau Photos
| Mikesell Photos | Photo Table of Contents | Home


Mikesell History

rope line

From Meiyssel Meixel Mikesell by
Ardella M. Rhode

Most of the Mikesell family in America can be traced back to Johann Wolfgang Meyssel or Meiyssel.  He was born about 1640 in in Grieskirchen, Ob Der Enns, Wels Dist., Austria. His son Andreas MEIXEL (MEIYSSEL) was born about 1670 in Leimen, Baden, Germany.  Andreas came to America shortly after he married his second wife, Anna Maria Schwab in 1719 and before 1724. He came with his wife's family to Conestoga Twp. Lancaster County Pennsylvania. He later moved to the northwest to Denegal Twp. where he died in March 1739.

Andrea's son Jakob from his first marriage came to the same area in 1728.  Hans Martin, Jakob's brother also came to America. The descendents of these two brothers retained the Meixel or Meixsell spelling of their name.  The sons from the second marriage - Johannes, Andrew and Conrad appear to have changed the spelling to Mikesell sometime between 1752 and 1759 when they started to move out of Pennsylvania to Maryland, Virginia and places further west.

During this period of America's history, individuals responsible for the records were very apt to spell the names as they sounded to them, not as they were spelled in their original country. Also, neither the recorders or the individuals were very well educated or consistent in their spell of anything.

Some known variations are:

Micksell Miskill Mikels Mixsell Micksel Mikesele Meixel Mikezel Mickesel Mickel Myksel Mikle Mixel Maxwell Mickelal Mickle Maxwel Mickesel Meixell Miksell Meixell Mixell Maxel Mikel Mikesley Mikeshell Maxcel Mixell Miksel Mieksol Mikesall Miskill Mexel

rope line


Andreas Meixel/Mikesell

ANDREAS MEIXEL/MIKESELL was born abt. 1670 in Leimen, Baden, Germany, and died abt. 1740 in Donegal Township,  Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He emigrated to America abt. 1719,  with two children and his new wife Anna Maria and her family, the Schwabs.  He was married two times.  His first wife was to ANNA EVA HERZOG/HERTZOGIN and they were married on 17 Mar 1704 in Leiman, Baden, Germany.  She was the daughter of SEBASTIAN HERZOG/HERTZOGIN and ANNA WOLFHARDT. She was born abt. 1674, and died 09 May 1719 in Leiman, Baden, Germany. 

He then married ANNA MARIA SCHWAB on 19 Sep 1719 in Leimen, Baden, Germany.  She was the daughter of JOST SWAB and ANNA WOLFHARDT. She was born 03 Oct 1698 in Sincheim, Heidelberg, Baden, Germany, and died 1748 in Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania. 

Andrew Mixsell's name is on the Assessment List of Conestoga Tsp. 1724-1725.  In his will written 25 Oct 1735, Andreas Meixell of Donegal Township, Lancaster County Pennsylvania named his wife Ann and Emanuel Carpenter and John Swope as executors. The will was probated 3 March 1740. On 6 Dec. 1748 the Lancaster Co. Orphans Court record states that Conrad Mixsell one of the sons of Andreas Mixsell, chose Emanuel Carpenter and John Swope as his guardians. John was probably his Uncle.  He was over age 14. Emanuel Carpenter and John Swope were also appointed guardians of Mary and George [under age 14] orphan children of Andrew Mixsell. The Trinity Lutheran Church in New Holland and Heller's Salem Reformed Church of Upper Leacock Tsp. list a Jacob Meixell born about 1712 and Hans Martin Meixell born 10 Nov 1713. 

Baptism: 1674, Eppingen (Kreis Sinsheim).
Marriage: 17 Mar 1704/05, Leiman, Baden, Germany
Medical Information: Died at age 45.

We find both of Andrew's marriages in the Leimen Church record but later they were members of the Moravian Church, Lilityz, Lancaster, PA. [The Mikesell Family, p.3.] 

Christening: 09 Oct 1698, Sincheim, Heidelberg, Baden, Germany
Married at the Reformed Church in Leimen, Baden, Germany, 19 Sep 1719, Leimen, Baden, Germany


rope line


Jacob Mikesell

Jacob enlisted in the newly formed Colonial Army at Frederick Co. MD. as a Private in Capt. Daniel Dorsey's Company, in Col. Josias C. Hall's Maryland Regt. of Flying Camp on July 1776, and was discharged at Valley Forge in Pennsylvania. He was in General Smallwood's Brigade at that time. Then in 1781 he was impressed with his wagon and team in the city of Baltimore to aid in conveying General Lafayette's baggage from Annapolis to Yorktown, Virginia, but the English fleet having departed, he was released after a week and returned home. He was at the battle of White Plain. He belonged to General Bill's Brigade, which was called the "Flying Camp" of the Maryland troops. 

In 1795, Jacob bought 150 acres for 150 pounds in Bourbon County, Kentucky. Jacob's family lived in Bourbon County until about 1819 when then they moved to Jefferson County, Indiana. Jacob sold his land in Kentucky, 2 Oct 1823.

As per the Revolutionary Claim Act of 7 June 1832, Jacob put in a claim for a pension, which he received $20.00 every three months until Nov of 1843. He enlisted and entered the service of the United States in July 1776, and continued to serve until the middle of December the following year. He was discharged in Philadelphia and returned home to Frederick county Maryland.

In a two page life story compiled by Ardella Maybell Rohde, Jacob's 4th gr. granddaughter she has this story that appeared in the Madison Cty. newspaper 4 Jan 1939: 

"Reclimbing the fence of the Miles farm on the Ohio River. The writer led by Mr. Miles, went to the Cemetery of the Revolutionary soldier whose memory is still preserved among the older people of the neighborhood. Mr. Miles has fenced in the graves of the man and such members of his family that headstones still standing may identify. 

The soldier was named Jacob Mikesell and his wife was Mary Mikesell. He was born in 1756 and died in 1841 while she was born in 1758 and died in 1816. His headstone gives his name and time of birth and death and then has the simple statement carved below this, "A Revolutioner".

One thing is certain, he was a strong man. A story they tell of him is that when he come and built "the stockade", a stones throw from where his grave is located, his wife was quite indignant over having to leave her Kentucky home and come to this place. She was so angry, in fact, that when she saw the spring, which is about 200 yards from the house, she swore she'd never carry a bucket of water from that spring to the house as long as she lived. And she never did.

When the water bucket was empty in the house she would take her tin cup and wander down to the spring, fill her cup and drink all she wanted and carry back a single drink for herself later. 

Of the old "revolutioner" himself one of the best stories is of the time that the old man went down into the field where he had a savage bull. The bull and he had a feud that endured through the life of the former. On this occasion the old man wasn't as quick as usual or he may have been thoughtless enough to have his mind on other matters. Anyway, the bull caught him unawares and charged upon him. The old man ran as fast as he could but the bull caught up with him and gave him a beautiful messing up. When the old man could, he crawled to safety and went into the house and got his injuries dressed. All the time he was itching for revenge. Finally, after finishing touches had been put to his wounds, he got up and took his old flintlock from the rack over the fireplace and shoved in an extra heavy charge of gunpowder. He then rammed in a number of heavy wads. Then he went out into the field and no sooner did he show than the bull headed for him again. The old man stayed on the right side of the fence this time and when the bull got up to him he let him have the full charge of gun wads in the face and head. The bull was literally staggered and went down to his knees. He got up and gave a bellow and turned and lumbered away as fast as he could. Ever after the bull kept away from the old man." 

rope line


John Aylor Mikesell

JOHN AYLOR5 MIKESELL was born 08 Feb 1784 in Hagerstown, Washington, Maryland, and died 02 Dec 1858 in Payson, Utah, Utah. His parents were John Mikesell and Catharine (Catherina) AHLENTZ.  He married Catherine MIKESELL on 12 Dec 1807 in Bourbon Co. Kentucky, at Catherine's parents home. Catherine Mikesell & John Mikesell were 1st cousins.  She was the daughter of JACOB MIKESELL and MARY BAST. She was born 11 Oct 1784 in near Franklin City, Frederick, Maryland, and died 19 Jul 1851 in Salt Lake, Salt Lake, Utah. 

He married (2) ISABEL SYMPSON 16 Aug 1850 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, UT.. She died Unknown. 

He married (3) JEANETTE SYMPSON 16 Aug 1850 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, UT.. She died Unknown. 

He married (4) SARAH HAUCK 27 Mar 1853 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, UT.. She died Unknown. 

Also known as: John Eller Mikesell
Occupation: 1809, Tavern, Inn keeper, Harrison Co. Kentucky.
Residence: Left Nauvoo, Illinois 22 July 1846, arrived in Salt Lake 20 Sept. 1848.
Marriage: 12 Dec 1807, Bourbon Co. Kentucky, at Catherine's parents home. Catherine Mikesell & John Mikesell were 1st cousins.

John Aylor Mikesell, was born 8 Feb 1784 in Maryland. He married his 1st cousin, Catherine. Catherine's father, Jacob was living in Bourbon County, Kentucky where he ran an inn. He appears on the 1809 and 1810 tax list, and it cost $50.00 for his tavern license. He took one of his tenants, James McCabe to court for nonpayment of $45.78 for meat, drink, diet, washing, and lodgings at his home and tavern. Some time before June of 1812 John and Catherine moved the family to Liberty, Montgomery County, Ohio where he ran a store (1816). He moved to Ohio to be near his father and uncle Philip, who had moved there as early as 1802.

In Montgomery County, in 1819, there were probably 15 houses in town. Among them a brick tavern owned by John A Mikesell.

Chancery court records of February 1826 - "Henry Weaver vs. Jacob Crull and John A Mikesell. Weaver is 1819 possessed in partnership with Mikesell, goods to value of $10,000. Charges that Jacob Crull entered store and forcibly took them. Henry Weaver, November 24, 1817, entered partnership with John A. Mikesell of Indiana to vend merchandise in Liberty.

John and Catherine were in Jefferson County, Indiana between 1824 and 1830, and then moved to Quincy, Illinois. Some time before 1839 they joined the Mormon Church. In November of 1839 John and three of his sons put in a claim against the state of Missouri for loss of property to the amount of $2500.00

On his way to England on a mission, Heber C. Kimball stopped at John A. Mikesell's home near Quincy.

On the 28th day of July, 1840, John A. and George Miller were asked by the church to examine the southwest corner of Iowa territory to see if it was suitable for a stake or branch. 90,000 acres of unclaimed land by the Des Moines River and a creek called Chequest.

Indenture - 3 Sep 1842, John and Catherine sold their property on the Mississippi River to Josiah Allison for $800.00. It consisted of about 5 acres of bounty land with a steam mill, house and out buildings. After selling this land they moved into Nauvoo and lived on a lot next door to Brigham Young and John Taylor.

On 17 May 1844, in Nauvoo, John was a delegate from Missouri and made a member of the central committee of correspondence. 

23 Aug 1844, the brethren of the twelve at Nauvoo got ready to go to dine with father Mikesell at his home, but were called to go and see Lyman Wight near the upper stone house. He and thirty others were sick.

30 Aug 1844, in company with his brethren of the Twelve, father John Smith and many others with President Young, visited at father Mikesells. Partook of dinner and an abundance of peaches from the orchard; the family was glad to see the brethren and spent a pleasant day. Many of the brethren in the city being apprehensive that they might fall into the hands of the mob, took their guns and went a-hunting around the timber bluffs below Mikesell's on the Mississippi River.

The Nauvoo Temple was just being finished and the saints were starting to leave their homes. John A. and Catherine went to the Temple on 24 Dec 1845, and were sealed to each other on 6 Feb 1846.

Wednesday, 22 July 1846, on the west side of the Missouri River, starting for the mountains. At dusk President Young and his traveling companions fell back on the bluff, suppered with father Mikesell in whose tent President Young and Brother Kimball lodged. They were much afflicted with mosquitoes.

Thursday 23 Jul 1846, Elkhorn River. Very pleasant weather. President Young, Brother Kimball and the Brethren of the First 50 in council, Elder Mikesell, etx, were appointed to preside over that 50. The President and his companions crossed the Elk Horn on a raft, saw the brethren a few minutes, returned and instructed father Mikesell to see that the names of all who crossed were registered with the number of every living animal to be left for the benefit of the camp.

Tuesday, 4 Aug 1846, in the camp of Israel 4 miles west of the Missouri River, they were told that it was not advisable to cross the mountains this fall. They must prepare for winter here. John A. Mikesell was among the council of 12 men to superintend the affairs of the church, both temporal and spiritual in this area. One of their biggest concerns being the Indians would burn the grass to gather the buffalo. This would not leave any grass for their livestock.

20 Jan 1848, Iowa. John A. Mikesell and his son, Garrett W. Mikesell signed a petition to have a post office placed in the vicinity of the log tabernacle, which was situated on the government purchase of Pottawattamie in Iowa to be called the Tabernacle Post Office and receive mail semi weekly.

30 June 1848, Friday. John A. Mikesell killed a buffalo which he brought in and distributed among the brethren at Pulsipher's camp near the Skunk Creek camp.

President Young went back to Winter Quarters and brought back the largest company to Salt Lake in June of 1848. They were 1229 souls and they had with them 397 wagons, 74 horses, 19 mules, 1275 oxen, 699 cows, 184 loose cattle, 411 sheep, 141 pigs, 605 chickens, 37 cats, 82 dogs, 3 goats, 10 geese, 2 hives of bees, 6 doves and one crow. John A. Mikesell and Catherine brought with them their son, John Harrison Mikesell and family, one team of oxen, wagon and one cow. John A. Mikesell was in the 1st division, 7th company. This was led by President young. They arrived in the Great Salt Lake valley, 20 Sep 1848. 

While in Salt Lake City, Catherine died of a violent hemorrhage of the lung in 1851. She was coming out of Sunday meeting at the Bowery.

In 1853 John A married Sarah Hauck, and had two children by her.

John A Mikesell and his family lived in Salt Lake until about 1854. Then he moved with his son John Harrison Mikesell to Payson where he died. He was to be buried by his wife, Catherine, in Salt Lake City, but it was too hard to travel in December, so it is believed he was buried in the Payson Cemetery, but because the records were burned, there is no proof.

rope line



By Jay Greaves Burrup (3rd great grandson)

Garrett W. Mikesell, born 18 May 1810, in Cynthiana, Harrison County, Kentucky, was the first son and second child of John Aylor and Catherine Mikesell. Not much information is known about Garrett's early life. The John A. Mikesell family moved from Kentucky to Liberty, Montgomery County, Ohio, sometime before June 1812. At Liberty, as in Kentucky, the Mikesell's operated a tavern. Around 1820 the family moved to Clark County, Indiana, where Catherine Mikesell's family was living.

It was in Clark County that Garrett, at age 20 married Ruth "Ruthey " Cunningham, the daughter of John and Frances Jones Cunningham. The marriage took place on 20 June 1830, and was performed by William Bullock, Justice of the Peace.

It was not many years afterward that the Mikesell family was introduced to Mormonism. An L.D.S. ward membership record notes that Garrett was baptized on January 1835 by Perry Durfee. It is not known where this baptism occurred - in Indiana, Ohio or Missouri. A subsequent L.D.S. church record states that on 26 January 1839, Garrett was ordained an Elder along with James Worthington, Henry W. Bigler, Levi Bracken, Philo Dibble and Jonathon H. Hale. Another ordination apparently took place on 8 March 1839; this ordination was performed by Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball and was perhaps ordained to the office of Seventy.

It is not known when the Mikesell families moved to Missouri, but they were among the thousands of Mormons who were driven out by anti-Mormon mobs during the winter of 1838-1839. In November of 1839 the Mikesell's, along with many other Mormons who had lost their Missouri properties to illegal seizures, submitted a billing to the State of Missouri for reparation. Garrett's losses amounted to $850.00, a sizeable amount for that era.

After being expelled from Missouri, the Mormons crossed the Mississippi and settled temporarily at Quincy, Illinois. The Mikesell's lived near Quincy for several years. On one occasion Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball stayed with the family for several days while they regained their health prior to leaving for their missions in England.

As yet, Garrett's entry in the 1840 federal census has not been located. It is entirely possible that the census taker missed the family or that the family was not at home when the enumerator came by. Garrett's father and brother (Hiram W.) are listed in the census schedules of the "Half Breed Reservation" in Lee County, Iowa (1840).

L.D.S. Church records indicate that Garrett belonged to the 3rd Quorum of Seventies. He and Hiram are listed in the Seventies Hall donation ledger (ca 1844) as subscribers to the building of a meeting hall for Seventies Quorum members. Garrett and Hiram each subscribed for a $5.00 share. They were issued share receipts numbered 6 and 7 respectively. According to a notation in the 3rd Quorum of Seventies records, Garrett was living, ca 1844, at his residence 4 miles south of the Nauvoo Temple.

In mid April, 1844, both Garrett and Hiram were called by church leaders to return to Kentucky and preach the gospel. Along with finding new converts, the Elders were to talk up the candidacy of Joseph Smith for President of the United States and find electors who would back the Smith ticket. Thirteen Elders were sent to Kentucky; the president of the group was John D. Lee, later an instrumental figure in the infamous massacre at Mountain Meadows. At the martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum Smith in June of 1844, the Elders returned to Nauvoo.

The anti-Mormon sentiment in Illinois eventually caused the Mormons to flee Nauvoo. The first organized group to leave followed Brigham Young across the frozen Mississippi River in early February 1846. The initial vanguard company was soon followed by thousands of evicted Mormons.

The Mikesell families again found themselves on the move. They joined up with the main company and encamped with their neighbors and friends near Council Bluffs located in Pottawattamie County, Iowa. At this time Garrett and Ruth's family consisted of 8 children, the oldest of whom was 15 years old. Four more children would later be born in this vicinity.

On 22 September 1846, Brigham Young and the Council of Twelve Apostles decided to build a water powered flour mill for the Mormon body. The estimated cost was $800.00 with an output capacity thought to be equal to one barrel of flour per hour. Willard Richards was appointed by the council to write to Garrett and Hiram Mikesell and advise them to "leave the ferry and boat in care of John Higbee and William Empey and prepare for sawing lumber for the flour mill."

While encamped on the Iowa plains, Garrett was chosen to serve the Mormon community as one of the "Regular Standing Police." Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball attended the organizational meeting of the Standing Police which was held in November 1846. Hosea Stout, who recorded the event in his diary, was chosen as Police Head. More than once the police were called upon to calm both upset pioneers and hostile indians. Hosea Stout also mentions in his diary that Garrett W. Mikesell was skilled at dressing buffalo skins. Stout purchased 4 of them from Garrett in 1846. 

According to the 1850 U.S. Census, Garrett and family were still living in Pattawattamie County, Iowa (District # 21). On October 5th, the same day as the census enumerator visited the family, Ruth and Garrett received Patriarchal Blessings at Driggsville under the hands of Patriarch William Draper.

While Garrett's parents and other family members left Iowa for Utah - as early as 1848 - Garrett and family remained behind for several more years. It is not understood why they remained in Iowa for so many years after all of the other Mikesell's had pressed on to Utah.  When the enumerator of the 1860 U.S. Census visited Iowa he found Garrett's family living in Silver Creek Township, Pottawattamie County. Garrett was listed in the census schedules as a farmer with his personal estate valued at $330.00.

Years later, Garrett and family decided to leave Iowa and join the main body of Mormons in Salt Lake City, They traveled to Utah in A.H. Patterson's independent wagon train and arrived on 4 September 1863. The Deseret News commented on the train's arrival and noted that the company's cattle looked "quite poor, indication that they had seen hard times in crossing the plains." The news placed blame for the cattle's condition on "overdriving, and for the want, at least, of requisite care and attention." Mention was also made of the fact that many of the company members had experienced illness enroute to Utah.

By the time Garrett arrived in Utah both his mother and father had been dead many years. Catherine Mikesell died in Salt Lake City on 20 July 1851, as the result of a massive hemorrhage of the lungs. She died while leaving the Bowery after having listened to a Sunday sermon by Brigham Young. John A. Mikesell and his two other wives moved to Payson, Utah County, Utah, in the mid 1850's. He married once more (1833) and died in Payson on 2 December 1858. It is not known if Garrett knew of his parents' deaths before he arrived in Salt Lake City.

Garrett's life and activities after his arrival in Utah in 1863 are, strangely enough, more difficult to trace than his earlier life in Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Illinois, and Iowa. From 1863 to 1869 the record is sadly blank; his whereabouts and dealings remain undiscovered.

On 10 November 1869, Ruth Cunningham Mikesell died of "neuralgia" in Richville, Morgan County, Utah. Her body was taken to Salt Lake City to be interred in the Mikesell family burial plot in the city cemetery. A small death notice printed in the Deseret News noted that she died on the 10th and was aged "59 years, 9 months, and 20 day's."

The next recorded event in Garrett's life occurred on 21 September 1879; on that date both he and Mary Ann Carter Mikesell (his second wife) were re-baptized, apparently in Richville. It has not yet been determined when Garrett and Mary Ann were married. There do not appear to have been any children born in this marriage.

The 1880 Richville, Utah, Census show that the Mikesell household consisted of 3 members - Garrett, aged 70, farmer; Mary A., aged 48, laundress; and Willard R., aged 26, farm worker. Another gap of information exists from 1880 to 20 April 1888, when church records state that Garrett died. His death apparently took place in Richville and he was buried in the vicinity. He would have been nearly 78 years of age at the time of his death.

It is regrettable that so little is known about Garrett and Ruth Mikesell. These intriguing ancestors were among the early members of the Mormon Church and witnessed some of the most exciting and traumatic events in the church's history. Unfortunately, they didn't take the time to record their memories. It appears that few of their large posterity have found it worthwhile to record the family's heritage.

The author, Jay G. Burrup, is a descendant of Garrett and Ruth C. Mikesell through their daughter, Cynthia Ann Mikesell Green Walker; her daughter, Margaret Florenza Green Fox; her daughter Elizabeth Fox Burrup, and her son, Clyde L. Burrup (the authors' father).

GARRETT WALLS MIKESELL was born 18 May 1810 in Cynthiana, Harrison, Kentucky, and died 20 Apr 1888 in Richville, Morgan, Utah. He married (1) RUTH CUNNINGHAM 20 Jun 1830 in Clark Co. Indiana, daughter of JOHN CUNNINGHAM and FRANCES JONES. She was born 09 Jan 1811 in Cincinatti, Hamilton, Ohio, and died 10 Nov 1869 in Richville, Morgan, Utah. He married (2) MARY ANN CARTER 11 Feb 1881. She was born Feb 1833, and died 18 Feb 1921. 

Burial: Unknown, South Morgan Cemetery, Morgan, Morgan Co. Utah.
Military service: Civil War Veteran
Residence: Garret & Ruth and 6 children left Florence Nebraska by wagon train 29 June 1863 and arrived in Great Salt Lake City 4 September 1863.

Marriage: 20 Jun 1830, Clark Co. Indiana
Burial: Unknown, The Mikesell family plot, Salt Lake City Cemetery.
Cause of Death: Neuralgia

Marriage: 11 Feb 1881


rope line


Schwab History | Back to Top | Petschack History


reneau logo