Spring Lake Park
Spring Lake Park at one time was part of Manomin County. A bill was passed May 3, 1857 creating Manomin County, which included the present cities of Columbia Heights, Fridley, Hilltop and Spring Lake Park. The bill was proposed by Abram Fridley, a member of the Territorial Legislature, Manomin was a county for 13 years with Mr.. Fridley serving as Chairman of the Board.
April 12, 1870 the people of Manomin petitioned to Anoka and were accepted as a township of that county. In 1879 the township name was changed to Fridley. members of the first town board were: John Sullivan, G.W. Thurber, Thomas Casey, G.A. Weeks (clerk), and John Sullivan (treasurer).
Spring lake Park was opened for development by the Bronson-Erickson real estate agency in 1936. The name Spring Lake Park was selected because it was felt the name was representative of the area. Spring Lake Park was recognized as a village in 1953. The first Mayor was Stanley Dahlmeier (Jan. 1954-Feb. 1961). On Jan. 17, 1944 a volunteer Fire Dept. was incorporated. Charles Zimmerman was the first fire chief. Spring Lake Park High School was completed in 1955. Blaine elementary. Park Terrace Elementary, Westwood Elementary, Woodcrest Elementary and Spring Lake Park Jr. High are now all serving the Dist. #16 area. Edward H. Knalson is Superintendent of Schools. Harry P. Sheff was the first High School Principal.
Churches serving the area are: Spring Lake Park Baptist (Oct. 9, 1940) St. Tim's Catholic Church (1942), Spring Lake Park Assemblies of God (1947), Spring Lake Park Church of Nazarene, and Prince of Peace Lutheran (1959).
The oldest original structure in Spring Lake Park is the one time Laddie Lake Inn. In 1945 Jack Ness bought a gas station/store from the Spangler family. It was converted into a restaurant and Pine Room was added. It was a popular meeting place for the Civic Club. Mr. Ness sold the restaurant in 1974. It has been sold to another restaurant owner and torn down.
Spring Lake Park has a large variety of other businesses and is a nicely located area. Throughout the years it has grown substantially.