Linwood Township, located in the extreme northeast corner of Anoka County, started its existence as a part of Bethel & Columbus Township, but was separately organized by the Anoka County Commissioners, September 5, 1971. The first town officers were: Supervisors, J.G. Green; Chairman, F. McGregor and Michael Hurley; E.G. Smith was treasurer; and D.W. Green was the clerk and justice.
The south half of the township is flat and low, with much of the acreage across the central and east part in the Carlos Avery Wildlife Refuge. A chain of lakes extends from the center of the township to the southwest corner, including Linwood Lake from which the town derived its name; Island, Tamarack, Martin and Typo are other lakes.
the first settler of the area was Joseph Sausen who located in the southwest corner, section 24, in 1855. Other early settlers were Edward Shorrock and Timothy O'Connor.
In 1873 the Methodist Episcopal Society erected the first church. Shauton & Haskell built a steam saw and feed mill in 1875.
School district #4 was organized in 1860 and comprised nearly the whole town. In 1864 a log school house was built on section 23; in 1875 a frame building was erected. Districts #34 and #35 were organized in 1874 and a school built in 1875.
Sanford Broadbent came to Linwood in 1870 after the Civil War. S.L. Arnold, Jacob J. Buck, D.W. Green, Samuel Ridge, J.G. Green, John Grant, G.W. Haskell, Spencer Lyon, Michael Ryan and S.M. Sherman were other early residents. Stephen A. Carlisle came to Linwood in 1897 and actively entered the business of dealing in Anoka County lands and was therefore very prominent in the development of that area at that time.
Typical products of Linwood for the year 1880 were wheat, oats, corn, barley, rye, buckwheat, potatoes, sugar cane, cultivated hay, wild hay, apples, tobacco, wool, butter and honey.
Population in 1880 was 227.