Born at St. George, New Brunswick, Jan. 14, 1814. He had a good common school education, acquired in his native province, and took up the business of lumbering, which he followed throughout his life. He came to Anoka, Minn., in 1853, just as the town was being started and lived there until the time of his death. Mr. Cundy was married Nov. 16, 1837, to Mary E. Gilmor. Children: William E., Sarah M., Mary E. (Mrs. Alexander Graham, Spokane, Wash), Olive L., and Frederick G.
William E. Cundy
Son of John Cundy. Born at Charlotte, New Brunswick, Aug. 13, 1838. He attended the schools at Baring, Maine, where he also got his first insight into the lumber business. In 1854 he came with his parents to Minnesota, arriving at Anoka October 12th of that year. The family lived at the Fairbanks boarding house until a house could be constructed. Mr. Cundy first went to work at the saw mill of Dunn & Farnham, and worked successively for A.P. Lane, James McCann, Ammi Cutter, W.D. Washburn & Co. and Reed & Sherwood. He enlisted in April 1861, at St. Anthony in Company E, First Minnesota Regiment, and was discharged with his regiment at the close of the three years term. Mr. Cundy participated in the battle of Bull Run, and at Antietam, where he was wounded and captured. He was afterwards exchanged and took part in both battles of Fredericksburg and the battle of Gettysburg. Mr. Cundy was married Sept. 22, 1864, to Alice D. Frost. Children: Ernest W., Alice S., (Mrs. Frederick Goecke), Narcissa L., George B. and John G.
source: History of Anoka County by Albert M. Goodrich – published 1905
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids