Daniel R. Bean
DANIEL R. BEAN, was born Dec. 26, 1862 in the town of Ramsey, Anoka Co. Attended the common and high schools at Anoka. He worked as a clerk in various stores and about 1884, engaged with H.A. Harrington in the lime and coal business, which continued for several years. He was then engaged in the breaking and sale of western horses at New Brighton for a few years. About 1895 he purchased his present farm in section 25, town of Burns. He has 85 acres of land, about 35 of which are under cultivation. He was married in March 1883, to Edith Sanger. They have three children: Florence E., Earl and Donald.
John R. Bean
JOHN R. BEAN, was born Aril 25, 1830, in Enfield, Maine. Attended common schools in Oldtown and Bangor. When still a boy he went on a whaling voyage to the Pacific ocean, which took him around Cape Horn and back to New Bedford, Mass., consuming three years and three months in the cruise. He made two shorter sea voyages and then found employment in a cotton factory at Salmon Falls, New Hampshire. He came to St. Anthony, Minn., in September, 1848, and worked about the saw mills there until the fall of 1849, when in company with John Simpson he made a camp on the island in the Mississippi now called Cloutier’s island about opposite the farm of C.G.Richardson in the town of Ramsey. At this camp a lively trade was carried on with the Winnebago Indians, who had not kept very closely upon their reservation at Long Prairie and were scattered all along the Mississippi above Itaska, and even as far south as the present site of Champlin. In the spring Mr. Bean built a log house on the main land on the present Richardson farm. About 1853 Bean and Simpson made a trading trip to Pembina, where they remained one year. On one occasion Mr. Bean got across the British boundary and was captured by agents of the Hudson Bay Company, but luckily escaped without having his furs confiscated, being put back across the boundary with a warning to trade only south of the forty-ninth parallel. Mr. Bean then lived several years in St. Anthony, working in the sawmills. In 1855 he built a permanent dwelling on the present Richardson farm, where he lived continuously with the exception of eighteen months, until 1870, when he purchased his present home in Anoka, where he has since lived.
Mr. Bean was married Jan 7, 1855, to Julia A. Mathison. Children: Mary E. (Mrs. William Bolstridge, St. Francis, Minn), Ida E. (Mrs. George L. Rathbun) and Daniel R.
Martin V. Bean
MARTIN V. BEAN, was born in Dexter, Maine, Jan. 14, 1831. He engaged in farming until 1855, when he came to Anoka and worked at lumbering until 1862. In that year he enlisted in Co. A, Eighth Minnesota Regiment, serving as first sergeant and afterward as second lieutenant of that company until the close of the war. In 1872 he formed a partnership with C.S. Guderian and engaged in the hardware business. Some years later he purchased Mr. Guderian’s interest, and has now associated with him his son, W.M. Bean. M.V. Bean was married in 1862 to Louisa McFarlan. Their daughter, Miss Edna Bean, is engaged in newspaper work, principally for Chicago papers.
source: History of Anoka County by Albert M. Goodrich – published 1905