PHILLIPS AND CALLAHAN FAMILY LINES IN ARKANSAS, TEXAS & OKLAHOMA
Gooch and Allied Families
A. MRS. ELIZABETH (GOOCH) KIMBROUGH
The earliest settler in the middle Tennessee area was Mrs. Elizabeth (Gooch) Kimbrough (born about 1750, probably in Hanover County, Virginia). Her husband, William Kimbrough, purchased a tract of 200 acres in Davidson County, Tennessee, on 27 December 1797. Earlier that year, in September, their son, John Kimbrough, purchased one half of Lot # 60 in the town of Nashville. These two men were the first Kimbrough's to settle in Davidson County. William's land was on "the west bank of the Stone's River just above the junction of Hurricane Creek." In 1799 William purchased an additional 250 acre tract. Both of William's tracts became a part of Rutherford County on 25 October 1803 when Rutherford County was formed; thus, William Kimbrough and his family were among the first settlers in Rutherford County. This land was close to the Davidson-Williamson county lines allowing many of their activities to be in Williamson County. In 1815, about a year before his death, William Kimbrough deeded his 250-acre tract in Rutherford County to his youngest son, Joseph A.Kimbrough. Here, Joseph later built his home which stood until the early 1900's when it was torn down. The house had cracked beyond reasonable repair because of the soft earth and lack of a proper foundation, but despite this weakness, the new home was built on the same site. The site is the same but the names describing the location have changed since then. Today, the homeplace is located on Rock Springs, or Waldron Road, near the Rutherford-Williamson County line and not far from Blue Lake Road where the original David Gooch family settled and his descendants still live. Joseph's great great granddaughter, Mrs. Marion E. (Pearson) Kinnard and her husband, George A. Kinnard, were the last descendants to live on the Joseph Kimbrough place before selling the property in 1973, which consisted of about 215 acres.
William and Elizabeth (Gooch) Kimbrough were charter members of the Rock Springs Baptist Church in 1804, which was located a little over a mile south of their home. In 1832 when the church was changed to a Church of Christ, the Kimbroughs moved their church affiliation to another Baptist church, and descendants are now Baptists, Methodists and Presbyterians.
William and Elizabeth (Gooch) Kimbrough had 4 known sons, John, William G., Azariah, and Joseph A., all born in North Carolina: (the name Kimbrough was shortened to Kimbro; the 4 boys used the shortened spelling):
1 - JOHN KIMBRO, born 11 April 1771, died 10 February 1852, married 4 times: 1st to Beth Ann Morton, 2nd to Nancy Bearden, 3rd to Martha Walden, and 4th to Tabitha Burnett. John had 8 children and served on the first Grand Jury of Rutherford County. He purchased land adjacent to his father's land on Hurricane Creek one quarter of a mile below the mouth of Hurricane Creek on the Stone's River. He also purchased land in Davidson County, and it is on this land that the N., C., and St. L. train made a stop which was called "Kimbro Station." John owned a total of 1004 1/4 acres in Rutherford County by 1819 and a total of 1,142 acres in Davidson County on the Mill, Dry and Hurricane Creeks by 1840. He operated a mill on Mill Creek at the time of his death. He is buried in the Kimbro Cemetery on Pettus Road off Old Hickory Blvd. in District 6 of Davidson County on land now owned by the Turrentine Realty Co. of Nashville. Two of the great grand-children of John are Samuel Ewing Kimbro of Antioch and Mrs. William Puckett of Nolensville.
2 - WILLIAM G. (GOOCH?) KIMBRO, born 13 December 1780, died November, 1824, married Lucinda Basey and had 5 children. Mrs. Mary Baird and Miss Kathleen Robertson of Smyrna are his great granddaughters.
3 - AZARIAH KIMBRO, born 1 March 1783, d. 6 February 1864, married Nancy Ann Basey and had 3 sons. Mrs. Nathaniel C. Beasley of Murfreesboro is Azariah's great, great granddaughter.
4 - JOSEPH A. KIMBRO, the youngest son, born 10 December 1790, died 1 November 1860, married his first cousin, Lucinda Tait Gooch, 2 January 1822. She was the daughter of Nathaniel and Martha (Tait) Gooch and the niece of Mrs. Elizabeth (Gooch) Kimbrough, Joseph's mother. Lucinda was born 24 March 1803 and died 14 August 1867. Lucinda and Joseph had 12 children.
Joseph A. Kimbro acquired a total of about 1,089 acres in Rutherford County, most of which bordered Hart's Spring branch of Stewart's Creek, but after selling some, he owned a total of 614 acres at his death in 1860.
The original William Kimbrough died in 1816 and his wife, Elizabeth (Gooch) Kimbrough, died in 1826. Both were buried in the Kimbro Cemetery on the Joseph A. Kimbro place. This cemetery was in continuous use from 1809 until 27 April 1927. When the Kinnards sold the land in 1973, the cemetery was removed and the remains reinterred in Maple view Cemetery in Smyrna, Tennessee.
Taken from "The Gooch Families of Williamson County, Tennessee" written by Virginia Gooch Watson, 1979.