Search billions of records on

William Wallace Raymond Tombstone

William Wallace Raymond

Courtesy Eric K. Emfield

Eric Emfield provided the following documents about William Wallace RAYMOND and his family. Wallace was the brother of Alonzo Pearis RAYMOND. Both are children of Pearis/Perez RAYMOND and Rebecca PEARCE/PIERCE.

Page Contents

Vision of the Spirit World

Recorded by John CARVER - Patriarch
Plain City, Weber County, Utah
August 2, 1881

Knowing that many would like to know of the vision that was given to Elder W. W. RAYMOND August 2, 1881, I write it as follows.

Early in the forenoon of the same day I was called to go and see him as he was very sick and appeared strange. After talking for some length of time with him about his affliction and what he had suffered the night previous, he said he did not think that he could stand it another night, but prayed to the Lord and had talked with Him as a child would talk with a father on earth and was satisfied that He would answer his prayers.

I left the room about 12 o'clock and returned at half past two in the afternoon and found him more strange than ever. I also noticed him watching the clock and often asking what time it was. (One of the family informed me that he had said there would be a change in him about 3 o'clock.) At that time he became more feeble and desired to lay on the bed. He called his family to his bedside.

He lay there about half an hour, we stood by thinking every breath would be the last, his feet were cold, eyes dull and countenance much changed, but to our great surprise he arose from his bed and said, "I am a well man no more sick, am all right", his appearance demonstrated the truth of his statement.

He said: "You do not know where I have been. I have been to the Spirit World and have seen many things and many people that I know. I saw Joseph and Hyrum SMITH, Brigham YOUNG and members of the twelve that are dead. I also saw my parents, children and many of our neighbors. One sister from this place, with whom I was personally acquainted, had charge of a number of small children similar to a class in Sunday School. But I did not see any that did not belong to the church but was informed that they could come and visit friends but not stay."

"They live in beautiful cities, with fine streets paved as it were with fine carpet but it was rock. The inhabitants are numerous and are natural so much so that I could distinguish them by their nationality. They all look young and beautiful and dress quite natural and the material looks like white silk. They eat, drink and hold meetings as we do, and I ate with them."

"They all live in perfect order, such I have never seen on earth and move quite natural from place to place, but I did not see any one riding, but was informed that there were conveyances whenever they desire to go a distance."

"Brother Joseph SMITH presides over the Latter-Day Saints.

Brother Hyrum SMITH has the marks of the bullets and will wear them as Jesus to show that he fell a martyr for the truth."

"Outside of the beautiful cities are lovely parks abounding with all kinds of animals. The people are acquainted with our doings on earth but they said it was not wisdom for us to know much about them. Society is graded something as we are but money and this world's plenty does not constitute the grade but it is governed by ability and position in the Holy Priesthood."

"Should any doubt my veracity let them ask any question and I will answer it to satisfy any reasonable person. But with all I have seen I am still mortal and subject to imperfections and I did not have the promise of getting well or that I should tarry long on earth."

After Brother RAYMOND had said what I have written and answered numerous questions to relatives and friends, he put his hat on and went out in the orchard and then returned when his former affliction in part returned. He lived one week after seeing this vision.

History of Amina Ann RAYMOND STEPHENS Go to Top

(Written by her Great-great grandson, Eric K. EMFIELD, c2002.)

Amina Ann (RAYMOND) STEPHENS was born on November 21, 1849 in Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie County, Iowa. She was the first of seven children born to William Wallace RAYMOND and Almira (CUTLER) RAYMOND. Their children were; Amina Ann, Spencer Vanness, William Wallace Jr., Almira Seretta, Almeda, Jedediah Grant and Orson Curtis.

Amina entered this life in the same way she would live most of her life, amid hardship and constantly changing circumstances. Her father's family (the RAYMONDs) were farmers from Vermont, and her mother's family (the CUTLERs) were of Dutch descent, wagon makers and farmers from New York. Both families joined the LDS Church early during its inception, and migrated to Nauvoo, Illinois to join the Saints in Zion.

Because of increased persecution of the church members in the region, both the CUTLER and RAYMOND families left Nauvoo on May 24, 1846 and relocated at "Old Kanesville" (Council Bluffs), Pottawattamie County, Iowa where they made temporary homes until they were better prepared to make the trip to the Great Salt Lake basin.

The CUTLERs and the RAYMONDs were well acquainted with each other, and it was during this time W. "Wallace" RAYMOND (as he was known) and Almira CUTLER decided to get married. They were married on December 6, 1848 at Council Bluffs, Iowa. Amina Ann arrived almost a year later.

In June 1852, William Wallace and Almira started their journey across the Plains to the Rocky Mountains in Harmon CUTLER's Company, which consisted of two hundred sixty-two souls and sixty-three wagons. At Lupe Fork, Platts County, Wyoming, while the caravan rested during a very bad rain storm, Almira gave birth to Amina's first brother and their second child, Spencer Vanness, on July 12, 1852. At the time he was born it rained so hard Almira lay in the water up to her arm pits and some of the women held umbrellas and pans over her to help keep the rain from dripping on her. Amina was fast approaching her third birthday when they arrived in the Salt Lake Valley in late September 1852.

Although tired and weary, they all rejoiced that they had arrived with their health and family intact. They settled in West Jordan on the Jordan River, residing there for one year, then relocating to Lehi, Utah. While in Lehi, Almira again bore another son, this one named for his father, William Wallace RAYMOND. He was born on March 28, 1854. Then on November 13, 1856, another daughter was born, Almira Seretta. Amina dearly loved having a little sister in addition to her brothers.

Even though she was not quite five years old, Amina was learning the life of a pioneer. There were three small children to help tend and lessons to learn about providing for ones family that she would use later in her own life, from watching her parents make a living from the land.

In the fall of 1858, her father William Wallace joined 13 other men to seek a new area to relocate to, and upon consulting President Lorin FARR, President of the Ogden Branch, he introduced them to an area of fertile soil and lots of water just ten miles northwest of Ogden. They named their new home "City of the Plains", but it was later shortened to "Plain City", as it is known today. Two months after settling there, Amina's father was called to be the President of the newly formed Plain City Branch.

One of the first concerns of these pioneers, was to provide themselves with shelter. Dugouts were made and used until log houses, and later adobe homes, could be built. Joseph SKEEN built the first log house in Plain City with W. Wallace RAYMOND bringing logs from a log home in Slaterville and rebuilding it at the place where he and Almira would spend the remainder of their earthly years. "Wallace" and Almira had their marriage solemnized for time and all eternity in the Logan Temple on July 6, 1861, with the first five children being sealed to them in Salt Lake Endowment House on July 7, 1886. [Were sealings done in the Endowment House? -RR]

Three more children were born to this family after they arrived in Plain City; Almeda, Nov. 12, 1860; Jedediah Grant, Feb. 19, 1863 (who died when he was 11, got killed when his leg was cut off in a mowing machine.); and Orson Curtis, Dec. 19, 1872.

In 1863, Amina's father was called on a Mission for the LDS Church. He was to preach the gospel to the good people of England for the next two and a half years. During this time, the mantle of responsibility to take care of the farm, children and other chores fell upon both mother (Almira) and her oldest daughter, Amina Ann. She was 14 years old now, and fast becoming like her mother. In just those short few years, she had already experienced life on the plains, Indians, nature's cruel twists and turns, yet this was all very normal to her. She knew no other life than this, and accepted life challenges as they came.

Religious services were held first in Joseph SKEEN's tent, then in a bowery made from willow branches. During the winter months, services were held in a dugout, until 1860 when they built an adobe building. The sacrifices and sufferings of the early settlers caused these humble people to appreciate blessings more fully than we can ever begin to imagine. They toiled long hours daily, with sometimes only a small amount of dried bread or potatoes, and sometimes soup made from roots or wild herbs. Pigweed or red-root greens were also eaten.

After the initial couple of years, things improved greatly for their family. Large gardens with strawberries, squash, asparagus and other vegetables were planted and harvested. They also raised sheep and grew flax from which Almira and Amina carded and wove cloth for their clothing. Almira was a very competent "tailoress" (as they were called in that day), and taught her daughter how to make their own clothes and suits for the men as well.

In 1867, Almira was called to be the Relief Society President in the Plain City Ward. She held that position for thirty-five years, until her death on March 17, 1902, aged 73 years. She was buried in the Plain City Cemetery. Amina's father returned in mid-1865 from his mission, and was made Bishop of the Plain City Ward. He held this position until 1875 when he was appointed Stake President, and he held that position until his passing on August 9, 1881. He was also buried in the Plain City Cemetery.

While the RAYMONDs were trying to find a suitable home and settling into the good life in Plain City, a young man by the name of Alexander Nephi STEPHENS was making preparations of his own, that would bring him into the life of Amina Ann RAYMOND.

Alexander Nephi STEPHENS was the fifth child of twelve, born on December 11, 1840 to John STEPHENS and Elizabeth (BRIGGS) STEPHENS. He was born in Chicago, Brown County, Illinois, where the family first heard the gospel and came to Nauvoo shortly thereafter. His parents family was from North Carolina.

Alexander was raised in similar circumstances as that of his future 2nd wife, Amina Ann RAYMOND. He was nine years old when they crossed the Plains. Their family arrived in the Salt Lake Valley on October 4, 1851 and settled in the Ogden area. He was educated in the Ogden Elementary schools and was so taken to learning, that he actually assisted for a time in teaching. That is when he met and married his first wife, Sarah Ellen GHEEN. (Two of Sarah's sisters were married to Heber C. KIMBALL in a polygamous marriage.)

They were married in Salt Lake City in 1860. Their first home was in Ogden where he was busily employed as a carpenter and cabinet maker. They had four children; William Nephi, born October 4, 1861; Ann Elizabeth, born August 22, 1864; Geneva Ellen, born October 2, 1866 (who died when about 16 years old); and John Andrew, born January 4, 1869.

In 1868, he built a comfortable home on his father's farm south of Ogden. On January 4, 1869 their second son and fourth child was born. The mother died nine days later. He was left with four small children to care for. The two older children were taken in by his brother, Daniel Monroe STEPHENS and his wife, and a Mrs. ELMER, a friend of the family, took care of the youngest two children.

During that summer, he met and married Amina Ann RAYMOND, on August 23, 1869. She loved and raised Alexander and Sarah's children as if they were her own. As a matter-of-fact, she worried so much about if she was raising them right, that one night she had a dream in which Sarah appeared to her and told Amina that she was raising them just as good if not better than she could. She told Alexander about her dream, describing the plaid dress Sarah was wearing, the color of her eyes, hair and other features, for no photograph of her existed and she had never met the family before meeting Alexander. He told Amina that what she experienced was real, for she described Sarah in such fine detail. This was a real comfort to Amina, who raised not only Alexander's first four children, but bore him eight children of their own.

Their children were; William Wallace, born May 3, 1871; Sarah (known as "Sadie") Amina, born January 29, 1875; Almeda Almira, born August 10, 1877; Alexander Vaness, born July 10, 1880; Rebecca, born May 4, 1883; Etta Imogene, born May 29, 1886; Umatilla Raymond, a girl, born March 19, 1890 & died December 19th of that year; and Edna STEPHENS, born November 27, 1891.

In 1870, an epidemic of smallpox visited Ogden. The STEPHENS families were among those stricken. So terrible was the disease, that rows of tents were erected east of the city and those ill were taken there. Alexander's father, John STEPHENS was numbered among the dead. He died on December 3, 1870.

About three years after the death of his father, Alexander Nephi was called to enter into plural marriage. Contrary to modern day interpretation, one did not simply choose to participate in polygamy, at least not within the Church. It was a sacred calling, just like any other church calling. Alexander was an upstanding church member and a sensitive husband. He sought Amina's feelings on the matter. She approached the Lord through prayer, and was told it was up to her. She consented and Alexander was married to an English girl by the name of Mary EAMES, who had come with her family to Plain City, Utah. They were married on April 10, 1873. Amina Ann and Mary maintained separate households directly across the street from each other and got along wonderfully, and Alexander provided well for each family.

Mary bore Alexander eight children. There were: Mary Inah, born January 5, 1874 (died at 2 yrs. of age); George Royden, born September 19, 1875 (died at 5 months old); Hannah Elizabeth, born October 19, 1877; Samuel Eames, born August 24, 1879; Curtis Lee, born March 16, 1881 (died at 10 months old); James Leon, born February 27, 1883; Amina Elmira, born September 27, 1885; and Grace Eames, born October 10, 1887.

In 1878, the Utah Northern Railroad Company was building the road from Ogden to Butte, Montana. The terminus was at Eagle Rock (present day "Idaho Falls"). John R. POOLE, a neighbor in Ogden was building the railroad grade at Market Lake (present day "Roberts") and became interested in the land on the island across the Snake River to the east, later called "Poole's Island" (present day "Menan"). Through his influence, the STEPHENS, RAYMOND and EAMES families came to the area in 1879.

In March of 1879, Alexander and Amina's brother, Spencer V. RAYMOND, came to investigate the area and each filed on a homestead and returned to Ogden to get their families. As soon as they could finalize business affairs and gather their families & goods, they traveled to "Poole's Island" (Menan), arriving on July 2, 1879. They immediately commenced building log houses and establish a home.

On the way there, they made camp by the creek at the Portneuf Canyon and raised a shelter to protect them from the sun while they rested. Two small children fell asleep. When Amina went to check on the children, she found a large rattlesnake coiled up next to the children. Being raised on the trail, she did not panic, but got Alexander, who grabbed his trusty gun "Sally Ann", and made a noise to arouse the snake. He crawled forward, took careful aim, and fired, clipping the snake's head off and thus saving the children from certain harm.

Although Alexander was known as an expert marksman, Amina became just as good with a gun, for often he was away from their home seeking venison or other food. She was always level-headed and did not panic easily. Amina was well school herself, and was a teacher just before she met Alexander, so their children were educated by their parents until schools were established in that part of the frontier.

Menan was indeed a strange place, different than Plain City or Ogden by far. Sage brush as tall as a wagon, with blue grass and rye grass growing abundantly out on the river bottoms. Cottonwood trees and willow thickets were everywhere along the river, and moose, elk, deer and antelope, plus the occasional grizzly bear provided them with meat.

In the fall of 1879, there was a disastrous fire which swept the mountains from Soda Springs to Yellowstone Park. The winter which followed was most severe and the animals came down into the valley to seek food. Game birds were everywhere and the trout were plentiful in all of the streams. During the high water season, mosquitoes were so bad, that they had to move themselves and the cattle up to the hills until the "gray clouds" of mosquitoes subsided.

Making a home in such an environment was what Amina had been raised to do. She had been in training all her life up to this point, and now she was doing it for her own family, and she did it well. Both she and Alexander learned how to cure and tan the hides from the Indians on the Island. Alexander even learned their language and made friends with them.

Once Alexander shot a large 800 pound, silver-tip grizzly bear. His gun "Sally Ann" brought the immense creature down with two shots directly in the forehead. Amina, Mary and their children helped skin the beast, and prepare it for their use. Over sixteen gallons of lard was rendered from its fat. The bear skin was hung across one end of their log home, completely covering one wall.

They farmed, planted apple trees, raised cattle and did all of the things that Amina had done on her father's farm in Plain City. Life was peaceful for the most part, and their small family and community began to grow. Even though their daily lives held challenges, they found that the persecutions they had left behind in Nauvoo were increasing as persons moved into the area who were not friendly towards the Mormons. Many of the old animosities surfaced again, particularly in regards to polygamy.

A law was passed that prevented Church members from voting or holding any office. Church property was being confiscated and any man who was supporting more than one wife and family was continuously harassed by U.S. Marshals and their deputies. Often the small children would be hurriedly moved from warm beds by their mothers and taken into the night to flee from these officers. It became extremely difficult to provide for both Amina's household and Mary's, so Alexander and several of the men gave themselves up to serve six months in the Boise Penitentiary for practicing polygamy. (He served his time in 1886.)

During this time, both the families and Alexander made the best of their circumstances, trusting in the Lord to help them through it all. While serving his time, he used his carpentry skills and made Amina an intricate box out of 3,152 pieces of wood. It is still in the possession of the family to this day. Amina and Mary wrote him and soon his time was served and he returned home. After the Manifesto in 1890, the persecutions faded away and the families could go back to taking care of each other again. Amina's children (and those of Sarah GHEEN's that she raised), played with Mary's children. They all got along well. Amina's children called her "Aunt Mary".

There were no doctors in the region, and Alexander set bones and Amina Ann performed mid-wife duties, delivering many children who are now grandparents or great-grandparents to residents in that area.

The Menan Relief Society was organized April 2, 1884, by John Rawlston POOLE, Presiding Elder of the ward under the name of Cedar Butte Relief Society. There were fifteen charter members and three new ones added the next week. The first President was Mary A. GREEN with Jennette POOLE, First Counselor, Amina STEPHENS, Second Counselor, Mary SHIPPEN, Secretary and Harriett BYBEE, assistant Secretary and Treasurer.

The first record we find of the organization of the Primary in the Menan Ward, Bannock Stake is taken from the minutes dated December 2, 1884, in which we find Amina STEPHENS as President, Harriett BYBEE first counselor, Hannah BYINGTON second counselor and Elizabeth BYBEE Secretary and Treasurer. These three sisters were called and set apart by Bishop Robert L. BYBEE. Amina STEPHENS served seventeen years in this position.

On November 29, 1901, Alexander and Amina moved their family to Rexburg, Idaho. Amina was appointed counselor in the Stake Relief Society. It was at this time, she also learned that she had "leakage of the heart".

In 1904, Amina moved from Menan back to Ogden, Utah in hopes that the lower elevation would improve her heart condition. She lived there twelve more years until her death on July 15, 1915. She was 65 years old. She was buried in the family plot in the Ogden City Cemetery.

After Amina's death, Alexander returned to Menan and Mary took care of him. While at Mary's home, death came suddenly to Alexander N. STEPHENS on January 17, 1916. He died of heart disease. He was 75 years old. His family buried him next to his first two wives in the Ogden Cemetery.

Mary (EAMES) STEPHENS also served well in the Church. In 1883, she was chosen first counselor in the M.I.A. In 1885, she was chosen second counselor in the Relief Society. In 1900, she was called to be the Relief Society President of the Menan Ward, a position she held for twenty years. She walked many miles to care for the needy, comfort the sick and those who were called to mourn. Mary died on April 17, 1937 in Menan, and is buried in the Cedar Butte Cemetery at Annis, Idaho.

With the death of Mary, the work began by Sarah, Amina and Alexander came to a close, leaving their legacy and example for their descendants to follow and carry on. Many of their children became well known and prominent people in the surrounding communities. It is with great appreciation that we look back and view their humble lives and try to measure the impact they had on future generations through their faithfulness and sacrifice.

The Journals of Alexander Nephi STEPHENS Go to Top

April 11, 1886 - November 13, 1888

[Editor’s note: Eric Emfield supplied three computer files of this manuscript. Differences between the first two are shown in blue and red, respectively. The one difference between the second and third manuscripts was the text shown in green, which was absent from the second manuscript. Conflicts between the manuscripts are shown in square brackets. --Robert Raymond]

The following are excerpts from the Journals of Alexander Nephi Stephens, who was born on December 11, 1840 in Brown County, Illinois to John Stephens and Elizabeth (Briggs) Stephens.

A.N. Stephens [(as he frequently called himself)|(“Nephi” Stephens was the name he went by most often)] was an early Mormon pioneer. His parents were baptized into the LDS Church by the Prophet Joseph Smith and confirmed members by Hyrum Smith, the prophet's brother. Alexander was a hard worker (a carpenter by trade), and was known to be quite a hunter and an honest man who was known for his unyielding integrity.

When his parents came to Utah from Nauvoo, they settled in the Ogden/Plain City area. He started his family there, and eventually helped settle the Menan (Idaho) area in July of 1879, which was called "Poole's Island" then. (His first wife, Sarah Ellen Gheen died in the Spring of 1869 and he subsequently married Amina Ann Raymond in November of that year.) During that time, polygamy was practiced by the righteous members of the Church, and Alexander was joined to another wife, an English convert by the name of Mary Eames.

His posterity grew to be very large, and during the fall of 1887, soldiers came to the area to arrest any members practicing polygamy. He served 6 months in the Boise State Penitentiary and received a $300 fine.  He writes of this period in his journal and gives a lot of details his life and about the brethren he served with.

Only two of his journals exist that we are aware of. They are in the possession of the LDS Church Archives. [One was|There is also] a pocket notebook that contains a few tidbits of family information and dates, but was not used regularly as a journal. The journals measure approximately 4" X 8" X 1/2" and are leather bound. They were submitted to the Church in 1977 by Vera E. Stephens Hunter of Boise, Idaho.

Alexander Stephens died on January 20, 1916 at 76 years of age in Menan, Idaho and was buried in the Ogden City Cemetery in Ogden, Utah. His headstone is at the head of the family plot and two of his wives (Sarah Ellen Gheen and Amina Ann Raymond) are buried there with him.

The following are transcribed entries from his journals, using his own spelling and punctuation (or lack thereof). We hope this will aid his descendants in researching his life and his many sacrifices for his family.


Journal #1 is an Excelsior Diary for 1885, but A. N. Stephens changed the year throughout to 1886. A notation listed on the first page (Jan. 1, 1885) states:

"John Stephens was Born March 31st 1811 Died Dec 3 1870 at 11 Oclock in Mor"

"Elizebeth Stephens was Born May 9th 1812 Died March 13th 1886 at 20 Minutes past 5 Oclock"

April 11, 1886 (Sunday)
I was in Salt Lake City the Temple was Begun in 1858

April 12, 1886 (Monday)
Returned to the Farm at Ogden City

April 19, 1886 (Monday)
Mountain wind in Ogden City

April 21, 1886 (Wednesday)
Went to Salt Lake City

April 22, 1886 (Thursday)
At Bro. David Sessions Staid 2 Days

April 23, 1886 (Friday)
Returned to the Farm Near Ogden City

April 25, 1886 (Sunday)
I left Ogden City went to North String Staid all Night with Bro. William Pearce

April 26, 1886 (Monday)
I was at North String Saw John Smith the Patriarch got his consent to have my Parents addoped (adopted) to Joseph Smith the Prophet

April 27, 1886 (Tuesday)
went to the Temple to See Bro. Merrils then went to aunt Louises on the ranch Near Smithfield

May 3, 1886 (Monday)
went to Logan from Bro. Barbers Ranch

May 4, 1886 (Tuesday)
in Logan today

May 5, 1886 (Wednesday)
I was ceiled (sealed) to my Parents in the Logan Temple   Bro. Angus Bain Acting Proxy for My Father and Sister Margaret P. Young Acting Proxey for my Mother   Bro. M. W. Merril Officiating

May 6, 1886 (Thursday)
I was Endowed for my 5(th) Cousin John Briggs who is dead   Ordained an Elder By Frederic Yates

May 7, 1886 (Friday)
Left Logan camped with Ben Chadwic(k) Betwen Cash valey (Cache Valley) and Ogden valey (valley)

May 8, 1886 (Saturday)
Crossed the Sumit to Ogden valey (valley)

May 9, 1886 (Sunday)
[w|W]ent to Plain City met Mine (Amina) and the children

May 10, 1886 (Monday)
Staid in plain City today all day

May 11, 1886 (Tuesday)
Still in Plain City

May 12, 1886 (Wednesday)
left this after Noon wint (went) to the farm

May 13, 1886 (Thursday)
left home on the farm camped in the canyon above devils gate about 20 Miles

May 14, 1886 (Friday)
camped in Second Weber canyon near the Second tunnel and I was Sick about 20 Miles

May 15, 1886 (Saturday)
the Next Night I staid all Night with Lake Huffman up Chalk Creek 5 Miles above Coal Ville about 25 Miles

May 16, 1886 (Sunday)
camped on Bear river Nothing transpired worth Note   I camped on the River at the crossing up the floom    traveled Near 35 Miles

May 17, 1886 (Monday)
arrived on the floom all wel (well) nothing transpired   Particular since I left Ogden City Where I met Bro. green & Bro. Marchant 8 Miles up the River

May 18, 1886 (Tuesday)
Staid all Night on the floom Started Next day for Spences Old ______
camp   Traveled all day got to camp Scott   traveled about 25 Miles

May 19, 1886 (Wednesday)
I am in Camp Scott in Wyoming all well about 100 Miles from Ogden City traveled about 25 Miles

May 20, 1886 (Thursday)
went over where Jess and John Garner killed the Deer traveled about 25 Miles

May 21, 1886 (Friday)
went to Blacks fork

May 22, 1886 (Saturday)
I am on the Piedmont road that goes in the timber all well    went to Blacks fork traveled down about 5 or 6 miles traveled about 25 Miles to day

May 23, 1886 (Sunday)
I traveled down Blacks fork 12 mines (miles?) to fort Bridger all well

May 24, 1886 (Monday)
leave Bridger this Morning go down Blacks fork go over to the Muddy went down the Muddy 5 or 6 Miles and camped traveled about 25 Miles to day

May 25, 1886 (Tuesday)
went from the Muddy to hams fork traveled 25 Miles to day

May 26, 1886 (Wednesday)
went up hams fork about 20 or 25 Mines (miles?) to Somebodys ranch I dont know whoes and camped all Night

May 27, 1886 (Thursday)
kept on up hams Fork traveled about 15 Miles a little above another Ranch camped on a little Creek and on the Road that goes to Bear Lake

May 28, 1886 (Friday)
Still going up hams fork cant find any Beaver yet traveled 8 or 10 miles

May 29, 1886 (Saturday)
I went up hams fork about 8 Miles   I kiled (killed) 1 antelope broke another ones leg Bro. Marchant run it down and caught it

May 30, 1886 (Sunday)
I camped on a little creek that runs in hams fork

May 31, 1886 (Monday)
Still camped on this little creek I went hunting killed nothing

June 1, 1886 (Tuesday)
Moved camp 5 or 6 Miles up hams fork to an old cabon (cabin) staid all Night

June 2, 1886 (Wednesday)
left hams fork went to Smiths fork about ten miles camped all night

June 3, 1886 (Thursday)
left Smiths fork for Plain City Nooned on Muddy fork that empties in Bear river 15 or 16 miles from mont Pelier (Montpelier) in Bear Lake Co. left here at about 4 Oclock traveled within 5 miles of Montpeller traveled about 40 Miles today

June 4, 1886 (Friday)
left there this Morning camped for noon in the mouth of the cannon (canyon) on the road that goes Over the Mountain to Franklin left at noon camped on Mink Creek traveled about 40 miles today all alone

June 5, 1886 (Saturday)
I left Mink Creek this Morning traveled about 35 Miles Stayed at Aunt Louis(e) Barber over Night on Bro. Geo Barbers Farm

June 6, 1886 (Sunday)
I left Smith field arived in plain City at 12 Oclock at Night traviled 50 miles   I met Amine (Amina) and the children all well My Wife had lately Been confine(d) Child was Borne on the 29 of May 1886 was doing well

June 7, 1886 (Monday)
I am in plain City resting

June 8, 1886 (Tuesday)
in Plain City yet

June 9, 1886 (Wednesday)
Still in Plain City

June 10, 1886 (Thursday)
in Plain City yet

June 11, 1886 (Friday)
here yet all right

June 12, 1886 (Saturday)
in Plain City yet Base Ball game to day the Plain City Boys wone by three Runs

June 13, 1886 (Sunday)
I am in Plain City mine (Amina) is not So well to day

June 14, 1886 (Monday)
I am in Plain City Mine (Amina) is better this Morning I went to Hunts vill Staid all Night with old Sister Spragues

June 15, 1886 (Tuesday)
left alvin Spragues this Morning arived at Thos. (Thomas) Spragues hurd ranch at 2 o'clock all right   Met alvin there and went down Beaver and camped all Night

June 16, 1886 (Wednesday)
fishing down the river this Morning arived At hunts vill all right this evening

June 17, 1886 (Thursday)
I am at alvins Spragues went fishing to day

June 18, 1886 (Friday)
Still in Hunts vill all well

June 19, 1886 (Saturday)
went to Bro Tracys in company with Bro Alvin Sprague had a good time

June 20, 1886 (Sunday)
in Hunts vill at Alvin Spragues

June 21, 1886 (Monday)
I am at Bro Tracys to day I am feeling well

June 22, 1886 (Tuesday)
I am in Huntsvill yet at alvin Spragues all well

June 23, 1886 (Wednesday)
I am yet in Hunts vill

June 24, 1886 (Thursday)
in Hunts vill went to The Spragues Hurd

June 25, 1886 (Friday)
I am at the Hurd this Morning wnt (went) Hunting Saw a Dear (deer) went a hunting again killed a fine Big Buck

June 26, 1886 (Saturday)
going to Hunts vill this Morning arived in Hunts vill all right

June 27, 1886 (Sunday)
went to Plan (Plain) City last Night arived here all well found Mine (Amina) and the children all well and the rest of the folks

June 28, 1886 (Monday)
in Plain City today reading in the womans Expanant I found that the Revolation (revelation) on Celestial Marage (marriage) was given to Joseph Smith in 1831 or 1832 and first Published to the world in 1852

June 29, 1886 (Tuesday)
in Plain City yet I am Hoing (hoeing) Strawbries (strawberries)

June 30, 1886 (Wednesday)
I am in Plain City Boring posts to Make a cow pen

July 1, 1886 (Thursday)
yet in Plain City Making a Cow Pen for my Mother in Law Sister Raymond

July 2, 1886 (Friday)
I am in Plain City today we are all well

July 3, 1886 (Saturday)
in Plain City I am helping to watter the Lotts

July 4, 1886 (Sunday)
I am in Plain City Mine (Amina) and the rest of the folks Started to Logan this Morning to be Sealed to their Parents and left me with the children

July 5, 1886 (Monday)
I am in Plain City yet Looking after the children while Amine (Amina) has gone to Logan to do Some work in the temple Selibrated the 4(th) of July to day here in Plain City had a Big time today had fire works to night

July 6, 1886 (Tuesday)
in Plain City this Morning hoing (hoeing) turnip seed for Mrs. Raymond got done  I am Reading the Juvnile (Juvenile) Instructer on the Resurection By Tho. W. Brookbank

July 7, 1886 (Wednesday)
I am in Plain City today with the children

July 8, 1886 (Thursday)
I am in Plain City yet with the children all well Mine (Amina) came from logan had their Work Done

July 9, 1886 (Friday)
left Plain City this Morning arived in Hunts vill about Noon

July 10, 1886 (Saturday)
in Hunts vill this Morning

July 11, 1886 (Sunday)
went to The Sprague herd (Ranch)

July 12, 1886 (Monday)
I am at the Herd (Ranch) Nothing to right (write) about particular the folks are kind to me

July 13, 1886 (Tuesday)
at the Heard (Ranch) yet all well

July 14, 1886 (Wednesday)
I am at the Heard (Ranch) this Morning in Huntsvill this Eavening

July 15, 1886 (Thursday)
in Hunts vill this Morning

July 16, 1886 (Friday)
I am in Huntsvill today

July 17, 1886 (Saturday)
left Huntsvill this Morning arived in Plain City about Noon found Amine (Amina) & the children all well

July 18, 1886 (Sunday)
I am in Plain City to day all well terable warm weather here there is plenty of Salt on Salt Creek Now

July 19, 1886 (Monday)
in Plain City Stacking Wheat for Sister Raymond

Bill came to day

July 20, 1886 (Tuesday)
I am in Plain City today Prepairing to go to the Temple in Logan

July 21, 1886 (Wednesday)
Left Plain City camped in Wellsvill

July 22, 1886 (Thursday)
Left Wellsvill this Morning in Logan Now

July 23, 1886 (Friday)
went to the Temple today had my Son Wm (William) N. Stephens Sealed & My Daughter Ann Stephens Eames Sealed to us their Parents My Wife Amine (Amina) A. Raymond Stephens acting for Sarah Gheen Stephens who is Dead

July 24, 1886 (Saturday)
Left Logan this Morning camped for Noon on Black Smith fork 15 or 20 Miles up the canyon arived at Spragues camp all right

July 25, 1886 (Sunday)
I am at the heard (Ranch) this Morning Sold Tannry (?) today for $25.00 to Thos. Sprague

July 26, 1886 (Monday)
I am at Thos Spruages Heard (Ranch) this Morning I am well the folks are kind to Me the weather is Nice the Nights are cool and Pleasant

July 27, 1886 (Tuesday)
I was at the Heard (Ranch)

July 28, 1886 (Wednesday)
went to Hunts vill today

July 29, 1886 (Thursday)
at alvin Spragues this Morning

July 30, 1886 (Friday)
I am in Huntsvill this Morning all well

July 31, 1886 (Saturday)
Here in Huntsvill working on A. H. Sprague house I went with Bro. Sprague and Administered to a Sick Sister Lund

August 1, 1886 (Sunday)
in Hunstvill this Morning

August 2, 1886 (Monday)
in huntsvill   this is election day here

August 3, 1886 (Tuesday)
went Fishing and Hunting up in the canyon Stayed all Night

August 4, 1886 (Wednesday)
Still Fishing and Hunting I Killed a Deer today and went to Huntsvill

August 5, 1886 (Thursday)
Thursday to day is fast day Bro. Sprague has gone teaching

August 6, 1886 (Friday)
I am in Hunstvill this Morning

August 7, 1886 (Saturday)
in Huntsvill today

August 8, 1886 (Sunday)
I am in Hunstvill to day is Sunday foks is going to Meeting But me I am Here all alone

August 9, 1886 (Monday)
went fishing today on north fork

August 10, 1886 (Tuesday)
on North fork this Morning

August 11, 1886 (Wednesday)
in Huntsvill the indians had Dance today

August 12, 1886 (Thursday)
in Hunstvill

August 13, 1886 (Friday)
I was in Ogden City on Busyness (business) today

August 14, 1886 (Saturday)
I walked from Ogden this Morning to Huntsvill 2 Marshalls here today

August 15, 1886 (Sunday)
I am in Huntsvill all well

August 16, 1886 (Monday)
I am in Huntsvill yet all right

August 17, 1886 (Tuesday)
in Huntsvill yet

August 18, 1886 (Wednesday)
I am in Huntsvill went after Cherrys to day

August 19, 1886 (Thursday)
working on Bro. Spragues home

August 20, 1886 (Friday)
Still working on Bro. Spragues house Sheeting

August 21, 1886 (Saturday)
I am working on Bro. Spragues house putting up cornier

August 22, 1886 (Sunday)
Today is Sunday the folks have all gone to Meeting I am here all alone I feel So Lonesome I don't know what to do I feel like this is pretty hard to Bare when men have Labord hard to Make homes and then Canot Enjoy them but it is all right

August 23, 1886 (Monday)
went to the Canyon

August 24, 1886 (Tuesday)
I am in the Canyon today on South Fork

August 25, 1886 (Wednesday)
went to Huntsvill today

August 26, 1886 (Thursday)
I am in Huntsvill this Morning

August 27, 1886 (Friday)
in huntsvill

August 28, 1886 (Saturday)
Here yet all right working on Bro. Spragues House

August 29, 1886 (Sunday)
in Huntsvill this Morning Nothing to rite (write) about Particular Everything quiet

August 30, 1886 (Monday)
at Bro. Spragues yet working on his house Shingling

August 31, 1886 (Tuesday)
Shingling yet

September 1, 1886 (Wednesday)
raning (raining) So I can't work on the house I am reading the news to day

September 2, 1886 (Thursday)
I am in Huntsvill yet all wright the weather is Rany to day

September 3, 1886 (Friday)
I am in Huntsvill today with the Colrymobo (Some kind of illness)

September 4, 1886 (Saturday)
in Huntsvill this morning I feel Better

September 5, 1886 (Sunday)
in Huntsvill

September 6, 1886 (Monday)
in Huntsvill

September 7, 1886 (Tuesday)
Started to Smiths fork today got to the Spragues Herd (Ranch)

September 8, 1886 (Wednesday)
went from the Herd over to a Sawmill 15 miles from Wooddruff on Bear River went from here

September 9, 1886 (Thursday)
to Bear River close to Wooddruff from here to

(September 10, 1886 (Friday)
Becksworth Dam camped all Night caught 12 or 15 lbs. Trout went from here

September 11, 1886 (Saturday)
to Smiths Fork Caught 21 lbs. of Trout

September 12, 1886 (Sunday)
went Fishing to day we caught 47 lbs. Trout

September 13, 1886 (Monday)
went Fishing to day

September 14, 1886 (Tuesday)
we are Fishing

September 15, 1886 (Wednesday)
we are on Smiths fork fishing

September 16, 1886 (Thursday)
we are fishing right along

September 17, 1886 (Friday)
on Smiths fork fishing

September 18, 1886 (Saturday)
I went Fishing today caught 28 lbs. Trout

September 19, 1886 (Sunday)
went to See if we could get up Smiths Fork

September 20, 1886 (Monday)
went fishing today

September 21, 1886 (Tuesday)
on Smiths Fork

September 22, 1886 (Wednesday)
going to Thomas's Fork today

September 23, 1886 (Thursday)
Camped on Thos (Thomas) fork

September 24, 1886 (Friday)
left Thomases fork this Morning crossed the Mountains camped on Crow Creek last night

September 25, 1886 (Saturday)
I am in Star valey (valley) this Morning Camped here last Night froze ice an inch think Nice and clear today

September 26, 1886 (Sunday)
in Starvaley went to the City of Afton (Wyoming Territory)

September 27, 1886 (Monday)
went Fishing with sine Caught a few trought (trout)

September 28, 1886 (Tuesday)
Fishing today with Sine caught 268 Heron

September 29, 1886 (Wednesday)
went up Drye Creek Canyon today

September 30, 1886 (Thursday)
Moved camp over on Stump Creek this Morning

October 1, 1886 (Friday)
went Fishing Down the river

October 2, 1886 (Saturday)
we are in Star Valey (valley) yet

October 3, 1886 (Sunday)
Left Star valey

October 4, 1886 (Monday)
Camped at Jefs to Night

October 5, 1886 (Tuesday)
at Montpelier today

October 6, 1886 (Wednesday)
on Bear river Fishing

October 7, 1886 (Thursday)
Fishing on Bear River

October 8, 1886 (Friday)
on Bear River Fishing yet

October 9, 1886 (Saturday)
on Bear River in Beark Lake Fishing yet

October 10, 1886 (Sunday)
in Bear Lake Siting around camp Reading

October 11, 1886 (Monday)
on Bear River yet it is Stormy Weather Snowed on the Mountains and a little in the valey  we caught 65 lbs. Trout today

October 12, 1886 (Tuesday)
Fishing on Bear river

October 13, 1886 (Wednesday)
Moved camp up to the Dam on Bear River

October 14, 1886 (Thursday)
Fishing around the Dam

October 15, 1886 (Friday)
Fishing Down the River

October 16, 1886 (Saturday)
went Fishing Down the River again today

October 17, 1886 (Sunday)
Sitting around Camp Cooking a Goose

October 18, 1886 (Monday)
Mary (Eames) and I Started from home one year ago today Since I left Home I went up on the Mountain to take a view of the North End of Bear Lake Valey   I can See 5 settlements   the Mane (main) fork of the valey is the North End of it the rest is Mostly Lake

October 19, 1886 (Tuesday)
left Bear River today Stayed all Night With Stephen Gheen

October 20, 1886 (Wednesday)
left Charleston this Morning Camped at an Old Cabbin on the Road to Black Smith Fork

October 21, 1886 (Thursday)
Camped on Black Smith fork   Eli went to Huntsvill today After My Money

October 22, 1886 (Friday)
Siting around Camp it is Raining

October 23, 1886 (Saturday)
I am on Blacksmith Fork yet going Fishing Over on Black Creek this Morning

October 24, 1886 (Sunday)
I arrived in Ogden City from home

We are Sitting around Camp today cause it is Sunday I was Sick last Night with the Pneuralga (? - an illness) my Head did Ache awfull Hard I am Better Now

October 25, 1886 (Monday)
I am all right this Morning Sitting at Camp wating (waiting) for Eli to came Back from Huntsvill

October 26, 1886 (Tuesday)
at Camp wating for Eli to Come

October 27, 1886 (Wednesday)
left BlackSmith Fork this Morning arived in Huntsvill to Night

October 28, 1886 (Thursday)
left Huntsvill this Morning arived at My Bro. D. M. (Daniel Monroe) Stephens to Night

October 29, 1886 (Friday)
I am in Ogden today

October 30, 1886 (Saturday)
in Ogden I got me a suit of Cloth(es) and went to the Old farm

October 31, 1886 (Sunday)
at My Bro. D. M. Stephens

November 1, 1886 (Monday)
I am at my Sister Janes today

November 2, 1886 (Tuesday)
I am at the old farm I am at my Bro. D. M. Stephens

November 3, 1886 (Wednesday)
left the farm at My Brother's this Morning arived at Bro. David Sessions at East Bountiful

November 4, 1886 (Thursday)
I am at Bro. Sessions yet  David Sessions arived from Menan at 12 o'clock at Night

November 5, 1886 (Friday)
I am at Bountiful yet sitting around the fire

November 6, 1886 (Saturday)
I went to Salke Lake City this Morning Came Back to Bountiful I Bought Me a watch today

November 7, 1886 (Sunday)
I am at Bro. Sessions this Morning I arived at my Bro. D. M. Stephens

November 8, 1886 (Monday)
left my Bro. this Morning arived in Plain City about Noon found the Folks all well

November 9, 1886 (Tuesday)
left Plain City this Morning Stayed in Copenhagen all Night travled again the Storm it was very disagreeable

November 10, 1886 (Wednesday)
left Copenhagen this Morning Stopped in Logan all Night with Geo. Barber it Snowed all day in My face

November 11, 1886 (Thursday)
went to Bro. Barbers Ranch   I am all wright

November 12, 1886 (Friday)
I am at Aunt Louisas all well it is cold and Frostly this Morning

November 13, 1886 (Saturday)
I am at Bro. Barbers Ranch this Morning

November 14, 1886 (Sunday)
at aunt Louisas yet all well

November 15, 1886 (Monday)
At Aunt Louisas yet North Wind Blowing it is very Cold and Dissagreeable it Makes My head Ache

November 16, 1886 (Tuesday)
at Aunt Louisas yet Sitting around Helping to do the Chores

November 17, 1886 (Wednesday)
I am Here yet    yet Noboddy here But Aunt Louisa and adda

November 18, 1886 (Thursday)
I am at Aunt Louisas adda and Me all alone I am Sick I feel terable Blue

November 19, 1886 (Friday)
I am at Bro. Barbers Ranch yet and Better this Morning

November 20, 1886 (Saturday)
I am Here on Bro. Barbers Ranch this Morning I am going to Smithfield to See uncle Lon Raymond to day

November 21, 1886 (Sunday)
I am at Uncle Lonzo Raymonds this Morning it is Snowing and Blowing from the North a very Bad Storm it is half past 4 o'clock

November 22, 1886 (Monday)
I am in Smithfield yet at Uncle Lonzo Raymonds

November 23, 1886 (Tuesday)
I am at Bro. Barbers Ranch to Night I am well

November 24, 1886 (Wednesday)
we are killing [hags|hogs]    killed 5 today

November 25, 1886 (Thursday)
killing [Hags|Hogs] yet we killed 5 today I received letters from home today

November 26, 1886 (Friday)
killed [Hags|Hogs] today to we killed 4 today

November 27, 1886 (Saturday)
at Aunt Louisas

November 28, 1886 (Sunday)
I am here yet

November 29, 1886 (Monday)
at Aunt Louisas

November 30, 1886 (Tuesday)
I am at Bro. Barbers Ranch yet

December 1, 1886 (Wednesday)
at Aunt Louisas killing [Hags|Hogs]

December 2, 1886 (Thursday)
we are going to kill [hags|hogs] to day

December 3, 1886 (Friday)
I am at aunt Louisas yet

December 4, 1886 (Saturday)
wating (waiting) for an answer from Spence (Spencer Vaness Raymond)

December 5, 1886 (Sunday)
at Bro. Barbers ranch

December 6, 1886 (Monday)
I am here yet Started Home to day Staid with Bro. Candfield

December 7, 1886 (Tuesday)
Staid with Bro. Hamer at Oxford

December 8, 1886 (Wednesday)
Staid at Onida (Oneida, now Arimo)

December 9, 1886 (Thursday)
Staid in the Portnuff (Portneuf Gap)

December 10, 1886 (Friday)
(no entry)

December 11, 1886 (Saturday)
Staid Between Raies (Ross)fork (Pocatello)and Blackfoot

December 12, 1886 (Sunday)
Came home to day (to Menan)

December 13, 1886 (Monday)
(no entry)

December 14, 1886 (Tuesday)
(no entry)

December 15, 1886 (Wednesday)
(no entry)

December 16, 1886 (Thursday)
(no entry)

December 17, 1886 (Friday)
Started to Ricks Burg today in Ricksburg to Night

December 18, 1886 (Saturday)
went to Parker today Settled the dificuly (difficulty) at Night

December 19, 1886 (Sunday)
in Parker today went to Meeting Spoke to the People

December 20, 1886 (Monday)
went to RicksBurg today Staid her(e) today yet

December 21, 1886 (Tuesday)
came home to day

December 22, 1886 (Wednesday)
at Home this Morning

December 23, 1886 (Thursday)
at Home today

December 24, 1886 (Friday)
I am at home Now

December 25, 1886 (Saturday)
I (am) home yet

December 26, 1886 (Sunday)
at home

December 27, 1886 (Monday)
I am home yet

December 28, 1886 (Tuesday)
(no entry)

December 29, 1886 (Wednesday)
I am home today

December 30, 1886 (Thursday)
Home yet

December 31, 1886 (Friday)
I am home today the last of the yeare

(Other misc. entries in the back of the Journal are as follows:)


Tithing Act (account) for 1889

Wheat 13 Bu (Bushels)
Oats  13 Bu (Bushels)
Pork  50 lbs Lard
Potatoes 6 Bu (Bushels)
Carotts  12,300
Butter & Eggs $300
L---n Seed 15,100
Beans  8 lbs
Squash 10


[The remaining entries were not in the "Blue" manuscript.]

Piner & Clawson   84 Spring Street New York


  Received       Paid
January      id Dec 26

CASH ACCOUNT JANUARY (Crossed out) 188-(6?)

DATE Received      Paid


in consequence of
being driven away
from home on acc(ount)
of the Edmonds law
(against poligamy)
for one year
and rail road
bed close burnt 25.00
sundry expences 25.00       
Dr Ac(count?) A.N.


Patented Dec. 2, '62 (1862)

No. 39084360

(The numbers are not absolutely clear, especially the 84 in the middle and the last digit might be an "8" or even a "3". Apparently he obtained a patent on that particular date and more research is required to determine what the item was that was patented.) [Editor's note: Patent numbers 37030 through 37081 issued 2 December 1862. Number 37,084 issued 9-Dec-1862. --Robert Raymond]


Received full payment on my mothers Estate $117.50

(Alexander's mother, Elizabeth Briggs Stephens died on March 13, 1886, this being his share of his inheritance. His father lived until Dec. 3, 1870. Both died and are buried in Ogden, Weber Co. Utah.)


Stayed at Bro. Spragues 43 days

Worked on his house 8 day

(On the final page were some math calculations, the word "Cokevill"
and a couple of other notes; "Etta Imogene, W.F. Hosford, Cheyenne, Wyoming Territory", and "465 Book of Mormons, New Addition".) Go to Top

Wednesday, 28-May-2003 20:28:29 MDT