From the 1600's to the 1800's, several generations of our ROBINSONs lived Northwest of Nottingham in the area from Eastwood to Bulwell. This document attempts to present some web resources for that area. Finding some of the smaller villages, such as Beggarley (Begarlee, Beggalee), Beauvale, Newthorpe, Greasley, and Hill Top can be challenging. Hopefully, this page will make finding these villages easier.
Within the present city of Eastwood lies the parishes of Eastwood and Greasley ( www.homeusers.prestel.co.uk/renfrew/). White's Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853 states that "Greasley Parish is very extensive, and consists of the six hamlets and constablewicks of Brinsley, Kimberley, Moor Green, Newthorpe, Watnall Cantelupe and Watnall Chaworth. ... Newthorpe hamlet and constablewick includes the small village of its own name, and the scattered dwellings of Baggalee and Hill Top, about one mile west of Greasley church and seven miles north-west of Nottingham. It comprises about 1,150 inhabitants and upwards of 1,000 acres of land, mostly belonging to Lord Melbourne. Here is an infant school and a General Baptist chapel. The Kilhamite chapel is situated at Hill Top, and the Primitive Methodists at Baggalee, where there is also an extensive colliery worked by Barber, Walker & Co."
Here is a map of the area Northwest of Nottingham , including the Eastwood area and Beauvale. You can pan or zoom in or out.
A www.streetmap.co.uk map of Eastwood and the surrounding area, showing Hill Top, Beauvale, Newthorpe. Moorgreen is on the right edge of the area shown. Greasley can be seen if you pan to the right. The streets of Eastwood are shown, but without names. Beggarlee is not labeled, but is the area in the center of the map, North of Hill Top. From www.multimap.com , a close-up of the Beggarlee area, showing street names. According to Nigel Harrison, "Begarlee is in the area now known as Greenhills Road / Lower Beauvale / Engine lane close to the former Moorgreen colliery."
Unfortunately, Nigel Harrison's wonderful "Eastwood and the surrounding district" website is no longer available at http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/nigel_h/eastwood.htm. Fortunately, the Internet Archive has captured various snapshots of his pages , although some images and links don't work. Some notable pages are