Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Quibell surname family history information

This page last updated: Friday, 25 September 2009

For further information on a particular Quibell or Quible family line or other detailed information, including the DNA study

 Below is some background information on this group of surnames.


The historical origins of the English Quibell and Quible surnames
The earliest reference to the surname Quibell (or close derivative) I have found appears in the East Markham parish register in the year 1566/7 where the baptism of a James Quibell is recorded in 18th January 1566/7. This is shortly after the commencement date of the East Markham register in 1561. It is likely that this James was the son of Richard and Alles (Alice) Quibell and that he probably died before attaining the age of ten years as a baptism of a 2nd James is recorded in 1575. This much can be deduced from the East Markham Quibell entries that appear in the years leading up to the major plague outbreak at East Markham in 1609. [The 1609 plague was one of the defining moments in the history of East Markham and the population was badly affected losing no fewer than 100 of the village's population of 800 including Richard Quibell.]

Prior to the East Markham entries of the late 1500's no Quibell or other surname variations starting with Qu* have been found that indicates another source of this surname. An analysis of the Quibell and Quible surname variations from the civil registration indexes (September 1837 quarter until current) and parish register entries from the immediate area surrounding East Markham, indicates that Richard Quibell was indeed the source of this surname.

What I have concluded from my research is that it is likely that before Richard's time that the surname may have been recorded as Twibell or Twidell (including many other variations such as Twybell, Twyble, Twedell, etc). It appears that subtle differences in dialect may have given rise to the Quibell variation that took hold in Nottinghamshire from the time of Richard Quibell.

If you look more broadly you tend to find that the Twibell surname predominates on the Sheffield side of Sherwood Forest whereas the Quibell surname is more dominant on the Nottinghamshire side. In some of the parish registers from the late 1700's through to the mid 1800's you get quite a few instances where the surnames are used alternately by the different incumbents who created the parish register entries. Three examples, including one which shows the use of an alias illustrate this in detail are listed below.

Example 1: Laneham, Nottinghamshire register
Baptism 21st February 1771 Ann daughter of William & Sarah Twibell
Baptism 21st April 1772 John son of William & Sarah Quibell
Baptism 26th December 1773 William son of William & Sarah Quible
Baptism 13th December 1774 Sarah daughter of Wm & Sarah Quibell (Born 12 December)
Baptism 26th March 1776 Thomas son of Wm. & Sarah Twyball
Burial 14th September 1782 William Quibell, Labourer, aged 37

Example 2: Winkburn, Nottinghamshire
Marriage 11th June1 1804 Edward Twiball and Elizabeth Dring, both of this parish were married by Banns, Witnesses: Wm Raworth, Job Sinnson
Baptism 23rd April 1809 Mary daughter of Edward & Elizabeth Quiburn
Burial 18th January 1810 George son of Edward & Elizabeth Quiburn
Baptism 5th January 1812 Elizabeth daughter of Edward & Elizabeth Quiburn
Burial 8th January 1812 Elizabeth daughter of Edward & Elizabeth Quiburn
Baptism 22nd February 1816 Hannah daughter of Edward & Elizabeth Quibal, Winkbourne, Labourer
Baptism 22nd February 1816 George son of Edward & Elizabeth Quibal, Winkbourne, Labourer
Burial 8th March 1816 George son of Edward & Elizabeth Quibal, Winkburn, aged 2 weeks
Baptism 26th July 1818 Martha daughter of Edward & Elizabeth Twibal, Winkbourne, Labourer

Example 3: Culverthorpe, Lincolnshire
Baptism 21st June 1823 William son of John & Elizabeth Quibell alias Twydel, Aseby, Labourer
Baptism 28th February 1826 John son of Jno. & Elizabeth Quibell or Twydel, Aseby, Pauper
Burial 17th March 1826 Jno. Quibell, Aseby, aged 2 months
Baptism 4th July 1827 Caroline daughter of Jno. & Elizabeth Twydel, Aseby, Labourer
Baptism 13th November 1831 Jemima daughter of Jno. & Elizabeth Twydell, Aseby, Labourer
Baptism 19th November 1848 William son of William & Ann Quibell, Culverthorpe, Labourer

The Twibell Y Chromsome DNA study
Some of the information provided above is circumstantial, although it has also been possible to provide a firmer link for the male descendants using modern technology. 

 

In 2007/2008 a Y Chromosome DNA study was undertaken to determine whether a suspected link between the various Twibell/Twible/Twibill and Quibell/Quible surname variations had a firmer basis.  The DYS marker used in the DNA study represents sites on the Y chromosome where a series of short sequence repeats occur, and the number of repeats (given as a number) has been found to be useful in discriminating between males of different parental lines. The same sequence is passed down intact from father to son through generations but occasionally a "mutation" occurs in that at one marker point on the chromosome a new repeat can be added or subtracted. The frequency with which mutations occur down the generations differs for the different marker points.   If the participants all originate from some original Twibell/Quibell male ancestor, they all ought to match.

We don't know how common the profile is across the entire population and the same profile is likely to occur in other surnames that originated from the same common male ancestor prior to surname stabilisation in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. In this limited study the Quibell participant profile exactly matches the consensus (or average) of all the other Twibell, Twible and Twibill  participants (To nearest whole number of repeats). 

Several of the Twibell/etc. representatives of the Ecclesfield-Woodsetts branch of the group are one mutation away from the consensus data. Several other Twibell/etc descendants of the Felkirk-Crofton-Barnsley and other Twibell/etc. branches are two to three mutations away from the consensus.

The only surname not shown to link up via the Y chromosome DNA study was Twidell, although a broader range of Twidell samples would be required before a connection with the Twibell/Quibell group of surnames could be ruled out.

Summary of results table

This research was only made possible by the foresight and financial support of Dr. John Twibell.  It was also sponsored by the technical team at Cambridge www.rootsforreal.com who can be contacted to answer any technical genetic questions.

The early Twybell’s
According to a pedigree of families living in and around Sheffield which forms part of the Jackson collection at Sheffield Public Reference Library, the Twybell family were retainers to the Talbots Earls of Shrewsbury and were settled several centuries at Southey in Ecclesfield, the prevailing and only names in the elder line being several Williams and five James (from about 1585) in succession. Apparently the first James Twybell of the five was an important man holding office in the Earl of Shrewbury's household. In 1637 he is shown, as holding at will a tenement called Southall (Southey) and lands at a yearly rent of 20 pounds. Southey Green, is a hamlet in the township and parish of Ecclesfield, 3 miles north of Sheffield, 5 from Rotherham. [Descriptive catalogue of Sheffield Manorial Records" by T. Walter Hall (1926) and "Descriptive catalogue of the charters, rolls, deeds, pedigrees, pamphlets, newspapers, monumental inscriptions, maps and miscellaneous papers forming the Jackson collection at Sheffield Public Reference Library" by T. Walter Hall (1914)]

The folklore origin of the English surname
The tradition in our family was that the Quibell’s were originally Huguenot or Protestant refugees from Southern France or the Basque region of Spain. (Apparently the name Quibell means Cask or Vat Maker in French). I can only guess that this is because the name looks and sounds French! However, all of the earliest Quibell’s dating from the late 1500's have the English Christian names of the day, rather than French or Spanish Christian names.

Eve McLaughlin in her book on surnames and their origins makes the point "...A lot of names sound French, and are said to be 'Huguenot'. Some are, but some are a lot older, and 'came over with the Normans', not necessarily as the name of a baron. The invading Norman soldiers were called by the villages they came from, and naturally, the spelling became even more warped."

She also elaborates further: "Far more ancestors are claimed to be Huguenot than ever were, simply because the name sounds a bit odd, and because these were attractive immigrants."

Eve McLaughlin, Varneys Press, May 1997

According to The Historical Research Center the origin of the name is as follows:
"The French surname Quibel is occupational in origin, deriving from the trade or profession pursued by initial bearer. In this instance, the surname Quibell derives from the word "cubel" meaning "vat or cask" in the dialect of the southwest of France. Therefore, the progenitor of the surname Quibell was someone who was a seller and buyer of vats or their contents, which in all probability was wine or another beverage. The variant Quiblier would indicate that the original bearer was a manufacturer of vats rather than a wine seller or merchant in other goods. The production of wine has long been one of the major industries of France, 78 of the 86 departments producing it in large quantities. Until 1878 France easily led the world, but in the following years its vineyards were devastated by phylloxera. France and Italy now produce half of the world-wide yield of wine. It is still racked into containers according to the methods of the middle ages. Other variants of the surname Quibell include Quibel, Queval, Quevillon, Quenneville, Quickel, Quickelberghe and the archaic form Quiquil. In French records of the surname Quibell and its variants, there is a reference to Arnaud de Quiquil. On September 25, 1740, a child was baptised who was the son of the nobleman Joseph Duplaa Garat, a lawyer and Madame Catherine de Garat. The child, born three days previous to the event, was named Thomas. Arnaud de Quiquil served as godfather while Anne de Laufarie, from Benus in Basse-Navarre was the godmother."

(There are a few other variations of this story floating around, although the historical facts to support this appear rather limited!)

The French-German Quibel's and Quibelle's
Notwithstanding the comments above, there is a reasonably sized population of Quibel's and Quibelle's which appear to be of French origin. In particular there are at least two non-English US immigration references: "Quibelle JS. 25; port uncertain, 1839 778.5 P522 [Brasseax, Carl A. The foreign French; 19th Century French Immigration into Louisana Vol 1 1820-1839. Lafayette, L.A. The Center for Louisana studies, University of South Western Louisana. 1990 569P]" and "Quibel J 47; New York N.Y. 1856 9983.11 P114 [Zimmerman, Gary J and Marion Wolfert. German immigrants: Lists of passengers bound from Bremen to New York, 1855-1862 with places of origin. Baltimore Genealogical publishing Co. 1986. 167P]"

Lawrence County Missouri 472 Pierce City Federal Population Schedule MO 1870 Federal Census Index MO298172631 also has a Lewis Quibel and his family born in France. At least one other family of Quibel's migrated to Argentina around 1850.

The 1891 Census for Newport, Pagnell in Buckinghamshire has a Virginia Quibel, a 26 year old Servant born in France. A William E. Quibell a 51 year old Merchant born in Germany also appears in the 1871 Census at Lower Grove, Putney, Wandsworth in Middlesex.

There are numerous surname listings on the French Quibel variation on the GeneaNet web site: http://www.geneanet.org

Bits and pieces
"Puzzle pots and mystery pieces", From "The Times", Saturday 2nd September 1972 Page 11 Col C. "A plate owned by Mr. John May, a dealer in commemorative pottery at 40 Kensington Church Street, London W. 8. The plate, almost certainly potted and printed (in underglaze blue) in Liverpool, bears the inscription "Capt Quibel M.P. 1788" The plate is absolutely right for the date of the inscription, but who is Captain Quibel? The plate is a one-off piece, painted, not printed.

A Centenarian - William J. Quibell born 28th September 1964 Kenosha Co. Wisconsin, died 2nd June 1965 Waverly, Iowa, USA

Some of the better-known Quibell’s

Lord David John Kinsley Quibell (1879-1962)
Obituary from "The Times" - Lord Quibell outspoken Labour Peer. Lord Quibell for many years a staunch servant of the Labour Party died last night at his home in Scunthorpe. He was 82. The Right Hon, David John Kinsley Quibell, first Baron Quibell of Scunthorpe, in the County of Lincoln, in the Peerage of the United Kingdom, was born on December 21, 1879. Though not given to boasting about his success in life, he was never secretive regarding his humble beginnings. His only education, he would remind his critics, had been acquired in an elementary school, from which, when still a boy, he had gone to work on a farm. His next job was in a brickyard, but he did not remain long, leaving to be-come apprenticed to bricklaying. Having learned his trade, he was for some years a journeyman bricklayer, working to such purpose that within a few years he set up for himself as a builder and contractor in his native town of Scunthorpe. He continued to take an active interest in his business throughout his public career. Proud of his skill as a bricklayer, he had little patience with the restrictive practices which stipulated the number of bricks a skilled tradesman should be allowed to lay and not infrequently clashed with trade union colleagues on the subject. Yet he was much concerned about the conditions and wages of the workers, and retained his union card long after he became an employer. Powerfully built, he never hesitated to say what he thought and in his early days was one of the most forceful propagandists of the Independent Labour Party. Though his speeches were usually spiced with humour he was generally more than a match for hecklers. He was for some years a member of Scunthorpe Union District Council and first Labour Party member to become its Chairman. He was also a member of the Lindsey County Council and a Justice of the Peace for Lindsey, Lincolnshire, and Flintshire and a past president of the Scunthorpe Co-operative Society. His determination to represent his own locality in Parliament was so strong that he contested the Brigg Division no fewer than six times, four without success. Eventually, in 1929, he secured election, but two years later his political career was interrupted, and he did not return to the House of Commons until 1935. He represented the constituency during the next 10 years, and was elevated to the Peerage in the Dissolution Honours in recognition of his political and public services. From 1942 to 1945 he was a member of the Forestry Commission. Of all the honours conferred upon him none gave him greater satisfaction than that which made him the first Freeman of his native borough of Scunthorpe. He was also Mayor of Scunthorpe in the Coronation Year of 1953. Quibell married first in 1901 Edith Jane daughter of J. Foster of Scunthorpe, by whom he had one daughter. His first wife died in 1953 and the following year he married secondly Catherine Cameron Rae.

James Edward Quibell (1867-1935)
Obituary from "The Times" - Mr. James Quibell, who died recently at the age of 68, was a distinguished archaeologist and for many years Keeper of the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. The eldest son of Mr. John Quibell, of Newport, Shropshire, he was educated at Newport Grammar School, and went up to Christ Church, Oxford, as an exhibitioner in 1884. He obtained honours in classical moderations and in natural science, and after taking his degree taught for a few years. It was while travelling with one of his pupils that he visited Egypt, which changed the whole trend of his life. He was fascinated by the antiquities, and offered himself as a pupil to Professor Petrie, with whom he had worked at Coptos in 1893, then at Nagada, Buleas, Thebes, El Kab, and Hierakopoulos in successive years. After six months' study at Berlin University he was appointed to the Catalogue Commission of the Egyptian Museum, and in 1899 as an inspector on the staff of the Antiquities Department, his colleague being Mr. Howard Carter. Four years he spent as inspector in the northern half of Egypt, and then he went for a winter to America, where he erected an exhibit at the Worlds's Fair at St. Louis. After that he had a year in Upper Egypt, mostly taken up by the finding of the tomb of Yuia and Thuia. From this work Mr. Quibell was sent to Sakkara to start new excavations, and there he worked for nine years till he was made Keeper of the Museum in 1913. Officially he remained Keeper until his retirement in 1925, though for the last two years Mr. C.C. Edgar did the work in the museum and Mr. Quibell took over the work of Mr. G. Daressy as Secretary-General to M. Lacau, Director-General of the Antiquities Department. Mr. Quibell married in 1900 Miss Annie A. Pirie, daughter of Principal Pirie, of Aberdeen University; she was also a well-known archaeologist and a gifted writer. Her book, "A Wayfarer in Egypt", is an admirable guide to Ancient Egypt. During the War Mr. Quibell gave many talks to the soldiers stationed in Cairo, also taking parties round the museum and showing them the treasures there. These were very much appreciated and led to friendship with many people in the far corners of the earth. Mr. Quibell had been in poor health since his wife's death in 1927, but for the last four years he had been able to winter in Egypt and to continue the work he loved until the end. He was the soul of loyalty and had a great gift for friendship, as his friends in many parts of the world can testify

Annie Abernethie (Pirie) Quibell (1862-1927)
Obituary from "The Times" - Mrs. J. E. Quibell. The death of Mrs. J. E. Quibell, which took place recently at Cambridge must have come as a shock to the large circle of her friends in Egypt, in England, and abroad, all unaware of the serious nature of her illness. Mrs. Quibell, who had lived mainly in Egypt for the last 30 years, came of a distinguished family in Aberdeen, where her father was Principal of the University and her brother professor of mathematics. After studying painting in Paris, she went out in 1895 to Egypt to work under Professor Flinders Petrie; she made drawings with Miss Paget, of the tomb of Ptahhoteb, which she published, helped in the excavation of the Ramesseum, and then, in sucessive years, in the digging at Ey Kab and Kom el Ahmar (Hieraconpolis). After her marriage in 1900 she entered wholeheartedly into the interests of her husband, then Inspector in the Antiquities Department of the Egyptian Government; in 1904, for example, though not holding any official position, doing a great part of the work of the installation of an Egyptian Exhibition at the St. Louis Fair. The next year, spent at Luxor, resulted in the discovery of the wonderful tomb of Yuia and Thuia. Then followed eight years of strenuous work at Sakkara, during which Mrs. Quibell made most of the drawings, both in line and colour, which were published in her husband's reports on the excavations; those of the tomb of Hesi and on the sixth-century monastery of Jeremias being perhaps of the most general interest. After Mr. Quibell took over the Keepership of the Cairo Museum at the end of 1913 Mrs. Quibell had less opportunity for archaeological work, and with the outbreak of the War her energies were diverted into other channels, much time being devoted to canteen work and the organisation of outings for invalid soldiers. For them she published a series of little guides to the Pyramids, to Sakkara, and to the Cairo Museum. These were much appreciated, and in 1925 her charming "Wayfarer in Egypt" was published. Mrs. Quibell was interested in a variety of forms of social service, but perhaps the institution whose welfare she had most at heart was the Y.W.C.A. in Cairo, of which she was president and a leading spirit; it is largely due to her practical sympathy and administrative genius that this body has of recent years accomplished such excellent work. Innumerable visitors to Egypt from all parts of the world must have grateful memories of her wonderful hospitality in Sakkara, where under desert conditions and dependent for supplies on the uncertainty of camel or donkey transport, the exercise of such hospitality involved no small degree of generalship.

Major Samuel Boyd Quibell (1890-1916)
Obituary from "The Times" - Major Sam. B. Quibell, 4th East Yorkshire Regiment (T.F.), who died of wounds in France on February 5, was the eldest son of Mr. And Mrs. Oliver Quibell, of Shalem Lodge, Newark. He was educated at the Magnus Grammar School, and the Leys School, Cambridge. On leaving school, he joined his grandfather Mr. J.H. Holmes, the head of the firm of Messrs. Thomas Holmes and Son, tanners, of Hull. He had been in the Cadet Corps at school, and while at Hull obtained a commission in the 4th East Yorkshire Regiment (T.F.) six years ago. He was gazetted captain when 22, and attained his majority on the field, and being only 24 years old was the youngest major in the Territorial Force. He went to the front with his regiment on April 23 and took part in the second battle of Ypres, after which he was the senior officer, the commanding officer and 17 officers of the battalion having been either killed or wounded. He was wounded twice within three weeks. On the first occasion, while helping wounded officers of another regiment to a dressing station, he received a slight wound in the neck. He recovered within a few days, and returned to duty, but soon afterwards he suffered a gunshot wound in the chest, which proved fatal. A brother officer writes :-- "We shall miss him greatly, but his cheery example will not leave us, and he will be present to encourage us on to do our bit as he did his. He was cheerful even in our greatest trial, and we feel we must do our utmost to feel the same, although it is most difficult."

William Oliver Quibell (1833-1897)
Obituary "Newark Advertiser" - Mr. William Oliver Quibell was born at Gateford, near Worksop, in 1833 and was therefore nearing his 64th year. His family had been farmers for generations in the Newark area, but he was articled to Mr. Harvey. Eight years later he became a partner in the firm, which was thenceforth known as Harvey & Quibell. The business was originally founded by the late Mr. James SNOW in 1814. On the death of Mr. John HARVEY the style was changed to Quibell Brothers, Mr. Thomas O. Quibell having joined some years previously. Two sons of Alderman Quibell have since entered the business.

The deceased was a Wesleyan Methodist and had filled most of the offices open to a layman in that Church. For a number of years he was a lay reader and a class-leader. He had been Circuit Steward and at the time of his death was district Treasurer of the Foreign Missionary Society. He was elected a representative to the conference held at Bradford in 1878, the first to which laymen were admitted. Three times since, he was one of the 18 laymen chosen by the Conference itself to be members of the Representative Session. To the last, he took the deepest interest in the work of the Church. The new Sunday Schools which the Wesleyans are going to build were constantly in his mind during the last part of his life, and he gladly contributed towards the cost".

He was for years a prominent member of the School Board of the Board of Guardians, a member of the Town Council and an Alderman. In 1884 he was chosen Mayor. Appointed a J.P. for the Borough some years ago, he frequently attended the Bench, always administering Justice with impartiality and tempering it with mercy.

Since his death, the Town Hall flag has been at half-mast, also those at the Ram Hotel and on other buildings in the town.

Under a memorial window in Barnby-gate Methodist Church is the inscription: "To the glory of God and in loving memory of William Oliver Quibell, Mayor of Newark 1884-5, this window is dedicated by his daughter Eleanor Mary Bainbridge. He was a devout Christian and an earnest Wesleyan Methodist, who served his Church faithfully in every lay office.

Oliver Quibell (1863-1945)
Oliver Quibell was the eldest son of William Oliver Quibell, above, and Eleanor Boyd Berrie who was born on 27th October 1863 and baptised on 30th November 1863 at Barnby-gate Wesleyan Church. 

On 9th November 1906 he was appointed a Borough Magistrate.  "…A prominent Liberal and nonconformist, a member of the Education Committee & the Free Library Committee, he has represented the East Ward for three years.  He is a partner of Quibell Bros. and Vice President of the Newark Division Liberal Association".  In November 1907, and again a year later he was elected Mayor.  Kelly's 1912 Directory lists him as Councillor, E. Ward (retires November 1914) and Magistrate.

Kate Amelia Quibell (1884-1975)
Kate was the wife of Ernest Hall Quibell (1876-1926) who was a nephew of William Oliver Quibell above.  Kate Amelia Quibell was the first woman elected to the Newark Council and became its first woman Mayor in 1957. Kate Amelia married Ernest Hall Quibell on 25th October 1905.  The Newark Herald which published a full account of the proceedings which noted "….They will reside in Newark at Beaumond House, recently occupied by Mr. Hervey". 

Her local politics career began in June 1935, when she stood for the Town Council in the South Ward, being elected 638 to 490, in the process becoming the first woman to sit on the Council.  In the following year she was returned unopposed for the South Ward.  In October 1945 she announced that she was not seeking re-election for the South Ward to the Town Council, then, in the following February that she had joined the Labour Party and intended to contest the North Division of the County.  In April 1954 Kate returned to Newark local politics standing in the North Ward for the Town Council and was elected.  In March 1956 she unsuccessfully stood in the Labour interest for Mayor, but her second attempt in 1967 succeeded, and she became Newark's first woman Mayor.  She was again elected for the North Ward in April 1958 and became Deputy Mayor.

Some placenames

Quibell Park (Brumby Wood Lane, Scunthorpe, England - apparently named after Lord Quibell the first labour peer David John Kinsley Quibell 1880-1962).

Quibell Road (1934 Land Duty Assessment records) and Quibell Lane (Newark, Nottinghamshire, England - possibly named after William Oliver Quibell (1833-1897)

Quibell's Yard (From Nottinghamshire Census – possibly associated with William Oliver Quibell (1833-1897) and his brother.)

Oliver Quibell Infants (A pre-school in Bowbridge Road, Newark, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire named after Oliver Quibell the son of William Oliver Quibell mentioned in the profiles above.)

Quibbletown (New Jersey, USA)

Quibell (A settlement in the Rainy River district of Ontario Canada) apparently named after a Canadian Police Commissioner/Magistrate/Mounty "William A. Quibell 1857-1917")

Quible Creek (1971, New Westminster, Canada)

Quible Ranch, Cherry County, Nebraska, USA - Owned in the early 1900's by the Rancher descendants of George Quible who was born North Leverton, Nottinghamshire 1830.

Quibble Island (Madras, India)

Books and articles

"Death of Mr James Blagg, East Markham 1819" Vol 7, No. 7, 1993, Nottinghamshire Family History Society Journal

"The Quibells of East Markham" Vol. 8, No. 6, January 1996, Nottinghamshire Family History Society Journal

"The early Quibells of East Markham" Vol. 10, No. 3, April 2001, Nottinghamshire Family History Society Journal

"More about the Quibells of East Markham" Vol. 11, No. 2, January 2004, Nottinghamshire Family History Society Journal

"A Quibell Family Scrapbook: pertaining to the descendants of William Quibell and Ann Bassett of Lincolnshire, England" by Robert Byron Bird 1970 -- 128 Leaves: ill., geneal. tables, maps, ports. This publication is available on microfilm as follows: Salt Lake City: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1986. on 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm. U.S. & Can FILM AREA 1321322 item 5 (Also available at the Society of Genealogists Library in London)

"The Quibell's of Newark" by Mr. G. Hemingway, 1980: 76 pages. This typescript publication has a section on The early Quibells of East Markham, Profiles on William Quibell of Newark (1805-1883) and some of his descendants. (It is currently available in the Newark Library, Nottinghamshire and is also in the Nottinghamshire Family History Society library collection)

"The Quibell Story" by Edward Dodd published by Caldicotts Ltd. Scunthorpe and Gainsborough 15s. (No date of publication but assume it was somewhere around the 1960's) It details David John Kinsley Quibell's life, saying his forebears had wrested a living from the land for four hundred years in the Messingham district of Lincolnshire. 

Family reunions

A Quibell family reunion was held in Ontario Canada on 29th July 2000. For further information contact Doug Quibell Quibell@rogers.com


All contents of this site are Copyright ©


Return to top of page

NOTICE: This information is provided to assist in making connections with researchers with similar interests. It must not be used for commercial purposes.