The Forgotten of Ellis Island Database
Search the Database
My Search for Apollonia Spiegel
Quarantine Station for Ellis Island and the Port of New York
Photographs and Pictures
Sign the Guestbook!
Some Resources to Use in Tracing Your Immigrant Ancestors
A Short Bibliography for Quarantine and Ellis Island
Repositories or Archives
Links to More Sites related to Quarantine and Immigration
- Barrett, Nathan
- Facts and Documents bearing upon the Legal and Moral Questions connected with The Recent Destruction of the Quarantine Buildings on Staten Island [New York: Executive Committee of Staten Island, 1858] See Google Books for a copy on-line.
- Blunt, Joseph
- The Shipmaster's Assistant and Commercial Digest: Containing Information Necessary For Merchants, Owners and Masters of Ships, [New York: E. & G. Blunt, 1855] Previously published in 1837. See Google Books for the 1837 edition.
- Coan, Peter
- Ellis Island Interviews: In Their Own Words
- Conway, Lorie
- Forgotten Ellis Island: the extraordinary story of America's immigrant hospital, [New York : Smithsonian Books : Collins, 2007]
- Doty, Alvah H., M.D.
- "The Extermination of the Mosquito," Health News -- New York Health Almanac, Monthly Bulletin New York State Department of Health, Albany. N.Y., New Series, Vol. X, No. 1, January 1915, Full Series, Vol. XXXI, No. 1, pp. 244-246 See Google Books
- A Manual of Instruction in the Principles of Prompt Aid to the Injured, Including a Chapter on Hygiene and Disinfection, Designed for Civil and Military Use, [D. Appleton & Co., 1895, 1901, 1919] See Google Books
- The Mosquito, Its Relation to Disease and Its Extermination. [New York, Appleton, 1912]
- "New Quarantine Methods and Changes which are Called for in Marine Sanitation," Public Health Papers and Reports, Vol XXVI, [Indianapolis, Ind.: American Public Health Association, October 22-26, 1900] pp. 55-62, See Google Books
- “Practical Discussion of Yellow Fever,” Public Health Papers and Reports, volume XXVII, presented at the Twenty-Ninth Annual Meeting of the American Public Health Association, Buffalo, N.Y., September 16-20, 1901; pp. 134-143. See Google Books
- "Prevention of Infectious Diseases," The American Journal of Nursing, Vol. 11, No. 8 (May 1911), pp. 671-672 [ Lippincott Williams & Wilkins] See Google Books
- Walking for Health, [New York [N.Y.]: D. Appleton, 1923]
- "The New York Quarantine Station And Its Work," The Medical News, A Weekly Medical Journal. Edited by J. Riddle Goffe, Ph.B., M.D., Volume LXXI,June-December 1897. [New York: Lea Brothers & Co., 1897], pages 632-633.
- Fairchild, Amy
- Science at the Borders: Immigrant Medical Inspection and the Shaping of the Modern Industrial Labor Force. [Johns Hopkins University Press, April 2003] (ISBN-13: 9780801870804)
- Fuller, Samuel
- Pocketful of Yesterdays: It Was And Is "Nevertheless" New York in the 1930's
- Holland, F. Ross
- Idealists, Scoundrels, And The Lady: An Insiders View Of The Statue Of Liberty-Ellis Island Project
- Kotker, Norman; Twombly, Robert; Wells, H. G.; others
- Ellis Island: Echoes From A Nations Past
- Kraut, Alan M.
- Silent Travelers: Germs, Genes, and the "Immigrant Menace" [New York: Basic Books, 1994] ISBN 0-465-07823-0
- Leavitt, Judith Walzer
- Typhoid Mary : Captive to the Public's Health. [Boston, MA, U.S.A.: Beacon Press, 1996] ISBN:0807021024
- Leavitt, Judith Walzer, and Ronald L. Numbers, editors
- Sickness and Health in America: Readings in the History of Medicine and Public Health, [Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press, 1978] ISBN 0-299-07624-5
- Levine, Peter
- Ellis Island To Ebbets Field: Sport And The American Jewish Experience
- Marinbach, Bernard
- Galveston, Ellis Island Of The West
- Markel, Howard
- Quarantine! : East European Jewish Immigrants and the New York City Epidemics of 1892
- Nixon, Joan Lowery
- Land of Dreams (Ellis Island)
- The Ellis Island Trilogy
- Powell, J. H., et al
- Bring Out Your Dead: The Great Plague of Yellow Fever in Philadelphia in 1793 (Studies in Health Illness and Caregiving)
- Rothman, Sheila M.
- Living in the Shadow of Death : Tuberculosis and the Social Experience of Illness in American History
- Sellers, Christopher C.
- Hazards of the Job: From Industrial Disease to Environmental Health Science
- Shearer, Daniel
- A Look into the Shadows: The Hidden Side of Ellis Island
- Szucs, Loretto D.
- Ellis Island: Gateway To America
- Tomes, Nancy
- The Gospel of Germs: Men, Women, and the Microbe in American Life
- The United States Public Health Service
- The United States Public Health Service 1798-1950 [Commissioned Officers Association Of The United States Public Health Service, 1951]
- Unrau, Harlan D.
- Historic Structure Report, Ellis Island, Historical Data, Statue of Liberty National Monument, New York/New Jersey by Harlan D. Unrau, Denver Service Center, National Park Service, US Department of the Interior [Washington D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1981]; Three volume set. Copies are available at The New York Public Research Library as well as larger libraries around the country.
- Warne, Frank Julian
- The Tide of Immigration, [New York: D. Appleton & Co., 1916] See also Google Books for a copy of the text.
- Wight, Orlando Williams
- Maxims of Public Health[New York: D. Appleton and Company,1884] See Google Books
For books and articles relating to Tracing your Immigrant Ancestor, please see the web page Resources to Help You Trace Your Immigrant Ancestors
- The Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives - The Future of Our Past contains "...historical documents from the 1800s through 1954 with concentrations in Steamship and Ocean Liner documents and photographs, Passenger Lists, materials covering World Wars I and II, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and Immigration documents from Ellis Island, Castle Garden and other Immigration Stations."