We are indebted to W. H. Nesbit, of Doniphan, for a copy of the following enrollment list of Iowa Township. In this list our patrons will find the names of many of those who were identified with the early history of the county, and Iowa Township in particular:
Of persons subject to military duty in the first subdistrict of the Northern District of Kansas, consisting of Iowa Township, Doniphan County, under the act of Congress of March 3, 1863, "for enrolling and calling out the national forces, and for other purposes."
Public notice is hereby given that any person enrolled in any sub-district in the Northern District of Kansas may appear before the Board of Enrollment of said District, at the headquarters of the Provost Marshal of the District, in Leavenworth City (No. 63 Delaware street, up-stairs), until the 20th day of December, 1863, and claim to have his name stricken off the list, if he can show to the satisfaction of the Board that he is not and will not be, at the time fixed for the next draft (January 5, 1864), liable to military duty, on account of, first, alienage; second, non-residence; third, unsuitableness of age; fourth, manifest permanent physical disability.
Persons who may be cognizant of any other persons liable to military duty, whose names do not appear on the Enrollment List, are requested to notify the Board of Enrollment, who will thereupon direct the Enrolling Officer of the proper sub-district to ascertain the facts, and enroll the person so reported, if they are found subject to enrollment. These persons may also appear and claim to be stricken from the list, the same as if they had been originally enrolled.
Headquarters Provost Marshal, Northern District of Kansas, Leavenworth City, November 25, 1863. J. Mc. CAHON,
Captain and Provost Marshal, President of the Board.
STATISTICS -- LIVE STOCK.
1860 -- Number of cattle in the county, 1,503;
number of swine, 2,000; number of sheep, 75; number of
Value of farm products for 1880, $1,438,920.10; value of farm products, per capita, $100.92; value of assessed property, $3,240,105.43; value of assessed property, per capita, $227.24; tax on each $100 of assessed valuation for 1880, $2.90.
ABSTRACT OF ASSESSMENT ROLL.
For 1880 -- Acres taxed, 236,172; average value, $7.973; total value, $1,883,187.00; number of town lots assessed, 13,711; average value, $11.36; total value, $255,797.00; total personal property, $730,302.00; railroad property, $370,819.43; total, $3,240,105.43.
For 1881 -- Acres taxed, 236,172; average value, $7.991 total value, $1,887,287.00; number of town lots assessed, 13,711; average value, $18.81; total value, $257,905.00; total personal property, $875,767.00; railroad property, $348,173.52; total, $3,369,132.52.
TOTAL AMOUNT OF TAX LEVIED IN THE COUNTY FOR THE YEAR 1880.State, $17,820.57; county, $35,641.15; city, $2,441.44; town-ship, $11,451.96; school, $28,675.79; total, $96,030.91; rate per cent on each $100, $2.90; total amount of taxable property in the county, $3,240,105.43; bonded debt, $378,500.00.
For the year 1881:
Abstract from the report of the State Superintendent of Public Instruction for the school year ending July 31, 1881 : -
THE ST. JOSEPH, MO., AND ELWOOD BRIDGE.
Below our readers will find a few brief abstracts from a history of Buchanan County, Mo., of the great iron bridge that spans that "uncontrollable and treacherous stream" -- the Missouri River.
Sometime in January, 1871, a number of practical men, of St. Joseph, Mo., subscribed stock, organized a company to be styled the "St. Joseph Bridge Building Company," prepared their articles of association, and were incorporated.
At their first regular meeting, the following officers were elected to serve their respective terms for one year : W. P. Hall, President; W. L. Ranson, Vice President; I. G. Kappner, Treasurer; John Pinger, Auditor; J. M. Hawley, Secretary.
The Committee on Survey was composed of W. P. Hall, J. M. Hawley and J. B. Hinman. They immediately secured the services of Col. E. D. Mason, whose works have since achieved him a national reputation.
By the 6th of February, H. M. Kelly, Col. Mason's first assistant, arrived on the ground, and commenced the preliminary survey, which extended from the rocky bluffs, near Belmont, to a point seven miles below St. Joseph. The fall in the low water channel, for that distance, was found to be 82-100 of a foot to the mile.
The annual rain-fall in the basin drained by the river, at St. Joseph, averages nineteen and a half inches, while that of the basin below is twenty-six inches; so but three-fourths of the water flowing out of the Missouri River, at its mouth, passes St. Joseph.
June 10, 1871, the day appointed for opening the sealed proposals for constructing a railroad, wagon and footbridge across the Missouri River, according to the specifications of the Chief Engineer, Col. E. D. Mason, showed the following bids from six great companies, which were as follows:
The company accepted the bid of the Detroit Bridge and Iron Works Company, it being the lowest and best bid.
The contractor's bond was fixed at $100,000.
On July 25, 1871, the first material arrived; this was in the shape of a train load of stone from White's Camp, Kan. The first stone was laid September 26, in the presence of a large assemblage of people.
December 8, 1871, the arduous task of landing Pier 6 on bed rock was accomplished.
January 31, 1872, the caisson for Pier 5 was landed on bed rock.
The caisson for Pier 4 was accidentally launched January 21, 1872. During the sinking of this pier, the ice broke up in the river, but resulted in no material damage to the work.
Pier 4 was landed on bed rock March 8, 1872.
The caisson for the upper pier was placed in position April 27, 1872, and landed on bed rock May 30, 1872.
Pier 2, commonly known as pivot pier, was got into place September 1,1872.
The caisson of Pier 3 was landed on bed rock November 4, 1872.
The next and last pier was Pier 1. After launching her into the water from the east back, she was put into position, and the air-pumps started February 5, 1873. The pier landed on bed rock March 5, and was completed March 25.
These piers, constituting the sub-structure of the bridge, contain 1,457,000 feet in timber, board measure; 16,038 cubic feet of concrete and 172,071 cubic feet of masonry. The base of the largest pier is forty-five by forty-five; the top, thirty-five feet in diameter.
Work on the superstructure immediately began. The first span was swung January 18th, 1873. The last span was swung May 4th, 1873; all the superstructure supporting its own weight.
The superstructure consists of three fixed spans of the quadrangular Pratt truss, each 300 feet long, one fixed span at each approach, 80 feet, and a draw span 305 feet, making the entire length of the bridge 1,345 feet. The weight of the iron in the superstructure is 2,850,000 pounds; of the road-bed and track, 380,000 pounds. The draw span alone weighs 900,000, and is so perfectly adjusted as to be easily opened and shut by one man. The capacity of the bridge, as estimated, is six times as great as the largest and heaviest train of cars that can be placed upon it. The approaches over bottoms contain 2,025,000 cubic feet of earth and broken rock.
On the 20th of May, 1873, the first locomotive crossed the bridge. This was engine No. 6, of the St. Joe & Denver City R. R. It was in charge of E. Sleppy, Master Mechanic of the road. There were on board several bridge and railroad officials, together with prominent citizens of St. Joseph and Kansas. On Saturday, May 31st, 1873, occurred the grand celebration of the completion of the bridge. On the 4th of July, 1873, at 6:30 P. M., the steamer Mountaineer broke from her moorings, and floating down struck the bridge, occasioning damage to the amount of $16,000, which occupied twelve days in repairing. June 16th, 1879, the control of the bridge was transferred to Jay Gould and associates, under whom it has since remained.
LIST OF POSTOFFICES AND POSTMASTERS IN DONIPHAN COUNTY.
The first Legislature convened March 26th, 1861. The following is a complete list of the Senators elected from Doniphan County:
1861 -- T. A. Osborn and H. N. Seaver; 1862 -- T. A. Osborn and H. N. Seaver; 1863 -- Sol. Miller and A. Bennett; 1864 -- Sol. Miller and A. Bennett; 1865 -- J. T. Lane and F. H. Drenning; 1866 -- Sol. Miller and F. H. Drenning; 1867 -- A. Low and N. G. Clark; 1868 -- A. Low and N. G. Clark; 1869 - - B. J. Jenkins and. W. H. Smallwood; 1870 -- B. J. Jenkins and W. H. Smallwood; 1871 -- Sol. Miller and J. Wood; 1872 -- Sol. Miller and J. Wood; 1873 -- N. Price; 1874 -- N. Price; 1875 -- C. G. Bridges; 1876 -- C. G. Bridges; 1877 -- R. M. Williams; 1878 -- R. M. Williams; 1879 -- R. M. Williams; 1880 -- R. M. Williams; 1881 -- R. M. Williams; 1882 -- R. M. Williams.
The names of the Representatives elected from this county will be found as follows:
1861 -- F. W. Emery, T. P. Herrick, W. C. Kimber, A. Low; 1862 -- Sol. Miller, Jas. Penny, Ed. Russell, F. Grube; 1863 -- J. P. Johnson, N. C. Clark, B. Russell, W. H. Harrison, J. W. Forman; 1864 -- J. P. Johnson, W. J. Orem, F. H. Drenning, C. C. Camp, J. W. Forman; 1865 -- D. Detrick, D. L. Payne, B. Russell, C. Leland, Jr., A. Low; 1866 -- C. B. Fox, R. H. Montgomery, L. Nash, N. Harrington, F. B. Mix; 1867 -- W. R. Parker, G. H. Robb, B. D. Evans, B. J. Jenkins, R. Flickinger; 1868 -- T. J. Vanderslice, H. C. Moore, W. H. Smallwood, B. J. Jenkins, J. H. Philbrick; 1869 -- J. S. Martin, G. W. Wood, A. J. Mowry, H. C. Hawkins, D. Whitaker; 1870 -- S. F. Nesbitt, A. Hazen, A. J. Mowry, B. H. LeDuc, D. Whitaker; 1871 -- T. H. Moore, A. Bennett, A. J. Mowry, S. G. Whitaker, J. B. Kennedy; 1872 -- T. M. Pierce, R. C. Mailler, Ed. Searcy, B. F. Bowron; 1873 -- M. J. Bowers, B. O'Driscoll, B. Searcy, B. F. Bowron; 1874 -- N. Springer, X. K. Stout, F. H. Drenning; 1875 -- G. A. Briggs, M. F. Landon, J. L. Motter; 1876 -- A. S. Campbell, M. C. Reville, A. J. Mowery; 1877 -- J. S. Long, R. Tracy, P. Manville; 1878 -- J. S. Long, R. Tracy, P. Manville; 1879 -- P. Kelly, J. B. Kennedy, A. J. Selover; 1880 -- P. Kelly, J. B. Kennedy, A. J. Selover; 1881 -- J. F. Dunwoody, G. V. Hagerman, Jas. Davis; 1882 -- J. F. Dunwoody, G. V. Hagerman, Jas. Davis.
TOWNSHIP, CITY AND VILLAGE HISTORY.
This township received its name from the fact of its being located in the central part of the county.
It was organized on the 21st day of October, 1856, at the same time Marion was formed. Prior to its organization, the territory it now occupies, including the west tier of sections now occupied by Burr Oak and Washington Townships, was known as Washington Township. Its boundaries at that time were as follows: Commencing at the northwest corner of Section 7, Town 2, Range 20; thence east, with the Missouri River to Burr. Oak Township; thence south, with the line of Burr. Oak and Washington Townships, to the southeast corner of Section 36, Town 3, Range 21; thence west to the southeast corner of Section 35, Town 3, Range 20; thence north to place of beginning.
J. R. Willis was the first Justice of the Peace. On the 21st of June, 1859, a change was made, and the boundary was fixed as follows: Commencing at the northwest corner of Section 14, Town 2, Range 20; thence down the Missouri River to the northwest corner of Section 23; thence along the north line to the northeast corner of said section; thence due south to the southeast corner of Section 35, Town 3, Range 21; thence west to the southeast corner of Section 35, Town 3, Range 20; thence north to place of beginning.
The surface of the township is mostly rough and broken, especially that portion lying in the north and eastern parts. The south and western portions of the township is less broken and diversified.
Center Township is well watered by Mosquito, Cottonwood, Peter's and numerous smaller branches. Peter's Creek heads near Troy, the county seat, and flows nearly due east, leaves the township on Section 23, Town 3, Range 22. Mosquito Creek also heads near Troy, flows nearly due north and empties into the Missouri River.
The township contains at present sixty-one square miles, or 39,040 acres (fractional), ninety-nine per cent of which is tillable.
Among the early settlers who located in this township and took up claims may be found H. Siminson, Charles Stewart, Joseph Hayton, James Marcan, J. Hampson, Henry Boder, Wm. M. Hamner, Albert Head, H. Bryant, Robt. Rockey, J. M. Edwards, M. Iles, F. McClellan, James B. Maynard, John Morehead, N. Carter, L. Rullman, B. Chappel, J. Wagmiller, and others.
The first marriage ceremony in which parties living in the township were interested was that of John Granfield and Miss Nancy Jane Edwards, on December 25 (otherwise known as Christmas Day), 1854. There being no minister in the township at that time, they were married at the Agency, by Rev. S. M. Irvin. The wedding festivities were participated in by four families, then the only settlers in the township;
The first birth occurred in the spring of 1855, Charles, a son of J. M. Edwards, receiving the honors.
N. Carter died after a short illness, of cholera, September 8, 1856. This is probably the first death occurring in the township. Probably the next death was that of a man named Connor, who was killed by a pony, one-half mile east of Troy, September, 1857.
About the first religious services held in the township were presided over by the Rev. H. Maxwell, a Methodist minister of Doniphan, in the fall of 1856. Mr. H. Calbert having the largest house in the neighborhood at the time, the services were held there. About the first school taught in the township was at Troy, early in 1858, by a Mrs. Brown. The school building was built a la log cabin style, in the fall of 1856.
Dr. Hudnell was the first physician to practice in the township, in the spring of 1855. Dr. Doister located at La Fayette in 1856, and was probably the second of his profession to locate in the township.
A saw-mill was built in 1856 at Columbus, by Charles Hamilton. The mill was run for a few years only. During the same year, one Lyman built a saw-mill at Lafayette, which was operated but a short time.
As a general thing, no improvements were made in the township until the year 1856. From that time to this, excepting an interval of about five years during the war of the rebellion, the township has steadily improved, both in point of population and in that which always marks a firm and substantial growth.
The St. Joseph & Denver City Railroad was graded through the township, as far as Troy, in 1859 or 1860, but was not completed until after the war.
No information can be obtained in regard to the organization of the first school district, legally organized.
The products of this township are substantially the same as found in other townships. It is claimed that the largest fruit orchard in the county is located in this township.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids