Doniphan County can boast of having the first railroad constructed in Kansas. The Roseport & Palmetto was built from the Missouri River to Wathena, a distance of four miles, and in 1860 trains were run over the road, but, owing to causes arising out of the late civil war, the work was extended no farther (sic), and the engine and cars were removed across the river. In 1868, under the name of the St. Joseph & Denver City, this road was extended to Troy, and regular trains run, and during 1869 the same road was extended west beyond the limits of the county. The road is now operated under the name of the St. Joseph & Western. The principal stations in the county being Elwood, Wathena, Troy, East Norway, Severance and Leona. Number of miles in the county, twenty nine.
The Atchison & Nebraska enters the county at its southeastern extremity and leaves at the northwestern corner. It was built in 1871, its principal stations being Doniphan, Brenner, Troy, Fanning, Highland Station, Iowa Point and White Cloud; number of miles in the county at present, thirty-one and a quarter. This road is now leased and operated by the Chicago, Burlington & Missouri River in Nebraska.
St. Joseph & Topeka Railroad Company was organized in 1869. In 1870, the Board of County Commissioners gave the Company $200,000 of St. Joe & D. C. stock, provided they would have the road completed from Wathena to Doniphan inside of one year. According to said condition, the road was completed and regular trains run from St. Joe to Topeka, using St. Joe & D. C. track to Wathena, and A. & N. track to Atchison, and A. T. & S. F. from Atchison to Topeka. The road was operated but about two years. After various legal proceedings, the rolling stock and road were sold and the iron removed in 1878.
HIGHLAND UNIVERSITY.Highland University is situated at Highland, which is in the northwestern part of the county, four miles east of the western boundary, and about six miles south of the Missouri River on the north. It is in Section 22, Range 19. It is an outgrowth of the Iowa and Sac Mission, commenced by the Rev. S. M. Irvin, under direction of the Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions, on this ground, in the year 1837.
In 1858, a charter was obtained from the Territorial Legislature under the title of Highland University, and several years afterward the care of the Institute was transferred from the Presbytery, who first held it, to the Synod of Kansas, whose property it now is. At present its Trustees represent the Synods of Kansas, Nebraska, Southern Iowa and Missouri, contiguous to which Synods the University is located. The idea of higher education must have been in the minds of those who laid out the town of Highland, for in the first lithographic map of the town, printed in 1858, we find it distinctly stated, "Intended as a seat of learning." The idea of its founders and patrons is to make it an institution worthy of the grand field and mission assigned to it.
Its graduates are quite numerous and many of them are filling important places. There has been no break or suspension of its work from the first. During the weary and critical years of the rebellion, when so many institutions had to suspend, and many of them not to recover, not a school day has been lost. Some progress has been made in the way of endowment, but merely a beginning. It is proposed to carry it forward until the institute is fully endowed. An efficient agency is now at work in this direction.
A department for the education of Indian youth has been inaugurated, and some valuable gifts secured, and hopeful plans for the future adopted.
It is yet too soon to indulge much in conjecture as to the future of this hopeful institution, but, judging its history and experience, as well as from the demands of the fertile and inviting region surrounding it, we may well hope there is before it a bright and happy future.
RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATIONS.Doniphan County has at present thirty-four church organizations, as follows: Eleven Methodist Episcopal, five Baptist, two Presbyterian, seven Catholic, three Colored Baptist, three German Methodist, two Congregational and one German Reformed. The following are the Churches that have houses of worship in the county: The Methodist Episcopal, ten; Baptist, two; Presbyterian, one; Catholic, seven; German Methodist, three; Congregational, two; Colored Baptist, one; and German Reformed, one.
Presbyterian Church at Highland was organized as a mission church in 1842, with seven members. Meetings were held in the University Chapel. Present membership, eighty-seven.
Presbyterian Church at Troy was organized in 1865-66 by the Rev. Sheldon, with fifteen members. A church edifice was erected at the same time, at a cost of about $2,000. The following pastors have had charge of the organization, in the order mentioned, up to the present time: Revs. Sheldon, Chapman, A. H. Lilly, Sheldon and Thompson. Present membership, about forty-five.
Presbyterian Churches at Iowa Point, Wathena and Doniphan were organized early in the history of the county, but are now dropped from the roll of churches, the members having moved to other places.
Methodist Episcopal Church at Smithton. -- We are indebted to the Rev. B. F. Bowman, of Wathena, for the following historical sketches of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Doniphan County, Kansas:
The first organization of the M. E. Church in this county was formed August 1, 1855, at Smithton, by Rev. Hiram Burch, pastor in charge, and Rev. Wm. H. Good, Presiding Elder, with the following-named members: Henry Wilson (Class-Leader), Elizabeth Wilson, Joseph Wilson, Wm. C. Wilson, Shared Lawhorn, Mary Lawhorn, James Lawhorn, Barbery Lawhorn, John D. Lawhorn, Melinda Law-horn, Emeline Lawhorn, Shared Lawhorn, Jr., Mary A. Harper, Elizabeth J. Bowman, Mary A. Smith, Elizabeth Brock, James Lovell, Martha J. Fletcher, Seba Lovel, James Hibbard, Nancy Lahorn, Wm. H. Lovel, Clarinda Lovel, Mary J. Lovel and David H. Houston. The organization was soon afterward removed to Columbus. Rev. Amos P. Young, a local minister from New York, and Rev. L. B. Dennis, Presiding Elder, preached to them during the following conference year; several persons joined the organization, and at the close of the year their membership was increased to thirty-eight. During the winter of 1856, Rev. Ira Blackford served them. At that time, they built a church and parsonage, and by so doing incurred a heavy debt. There being no church extension society in those days, they were obliged to sell the parsonage to pay the church debt. Mrs. Blackford conducted a Sunday school while there. The church continued to prosper until the war of the rebellion broke out, when a number of the members enlisted in the army. With this, decline commenced and continued, until at the present time there are only a few members in the church, and they are without a regular minister. In fact, there are no regular services in the English language, by any denomination, in Burr Oak Township.
Methodist Episcopal Church near Palermo. -- Some time during the year 1855, there was an organization of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in the vicinity of Palermo, with the following named members: John J. Anderson (Class- Leader), Nancy J. Anderson, John Hays, Elizabeth Hays, Mary A. Wakeman and Jane Beazelton. They worshiped in private houses until a schoolhouse was built, where their services were conducted regularly until about 1870, since which time religious services have been discontinued.
Methodist Episcopal Church at Doniphan. -- On May 10, 1857, the Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in the city of Doniphan, by Rev. B. F. Bowman, with five members, viz., James W. Snow, Class Leader; Rebecca Snow, Joseph McCrum, Melissa McCrum and Hannah McCrum. At the same time a Sunday school was organized, and in about five minutes $21 were raised with which to purchase books, etc.
One gentleman, who gave $5, in getting his pocket- book from an inside pocket, exhibited the muzzle of a navy revolver -- a six-shooter. Such weapons were common in our congregations during those exciting days, but we never saw better behavior in any church than we had at that time. Regular services have been held in the church at Doniphan from that time until the present.
In 1866, under the labors of Rev. G. R. Houts, a neat frame church edifice, 26x40 feet, was built. They also have a parsonage, occupied at present by Rev. F. F. Otto, their pastor.
Methodist Episcopal Church at Geary City. -- Early in the spring of 1857, Rev. James Shaw preached in Geary City, and from May 10, regular services were held there by Rev. B. F. Bowman until the next conference.
An organization was formed there that year with but few members, among whom were James Foster, wife and daughter.
Methodism has had a hard struggle for existence here, but they have a small church edifice which was built in 1869, Rev. F. F. Otto being their present pastor.
Oakland M. E. Church is located in the northwest part of Wayne Township. The first M. E. Church organization in this part of the county was formed in the spring of 1858 by Rev. T. McK. Munhall, and called Independence. The following named persons were the first members: Rev. Abraham Bennett, Rachel Bennett, Celinda Bennett, Francis A. Baker, Caroline Shaw, Diantha Edgerton, Jacob Smith, Rachel Smith, Moriah Smith, William Smith and Matilda Adams. At first they worshiped in a vacant house on the place then owned by George Buck, which was used for a church and schoolhouse. They also conducted a very interesting Sunday school at that time. After the Prairie Grove Schoolhouse was built, services were held there awhile, afterward in Pleasant Ridge Schoolhouse. In 1879, this organization united with a small society at Oakland, and in 1880 the Oakland Church was built, a frame building 28x40 feet. At the present time, it is one of the best churches of its size in the county.
Methodist Episcopal Church at Wathena. -- The first organization of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Wathena was formed by Rev. T. McK. Munhall, in the summer of 1858. Rev. D. H. May was appointed to serve them, but by his own request was transferred to the Missouri Conference. Rev. -- (sic) Blake, of Iowa, served them with partial success. In 1860, O. B. Gardner was appointed to preach to them, but met with a cool reception. This was at the time of the, great political excitement which preceded the war, and the church entered ardently into the contest, which fact accounts for the manner in which he was received. But Brother Gardner was not easily discouraged, and by perseverance he succeeded nobly. He served them faithfully two years, and when he left was beloved by nearly every one. During his second year, he lived at Elwood. One morning he discovered a secession flag floating from a tree near his house, and on the tree a notice that it would be death to the one who should tear down this flag; he quickly climbed the tree, tore it down and trampled it under his feet.
During the year 1862-63, they were served by Rev. B. F. Bowman. In 1864-65, Rev. James Lawrence was their pastor, Wathena having been connected with Troy as a pastoral charge. In 1866, Rev. J. Paulson was pastor, and during his service they erected a brick church building 40x60 feet, and well located. For a time the church was well filled at every service; but of late years the society has grown weaker and they were burdened with debt. During the past year, by the efforts of Rev. F. M. Pickles, the debt has been provided for, and the church building partly repaired. At the present time, they are favored with the services of J. Biddison. They have about twenty members. The Sabbath school has lately been re-organized, and with their debt paid it is hoped that the church will soon be more prosperous.
Ridge Prairie Methodist Episcopal Church is located in Union Township, three and one-half miles southwest of Severance. In the winter of 1868-69, Rev. H. Bennett preached there for the first time. May 24, 1869, Rev. G. W. Wood preached from lxxxvii Psalm, 5th verse. In his sermon he used the words, "When God comes to make up his people, may it be said, 'this and that man was born there.' " Thus far this church has been one of the most prosperous churches in the county. It was organized June 12, 1869, by Rev. B. F. Bowman, with the following membership, namely: Geo. Hinchsliff, Class Leader; Ann Hinchsliff, Wm. D. Hinchsliff, J. H. Laney, Mary Denton, John Riley, Ellen Riley, John N. Knoblaugh, Eliza Knoblaugh, Wm. D. Rippey, C. A. Rippey, John Miller, Mary J. Miller, Moriah Streeter and Frances Streeter. The following Christmas, about a dozen persons professed religion and joined the church. It continued to prosper, and about fifty members were added to their membership during the conference year. In the spring of 1871, they purchased the old Methodist Episcopal Church in Atchison, shipped it to Severance, and by adding some new material they were soon in possession of a good church building, which was dedicated in August by Rev. W. H. Marshall, Presiding Elder, and Rev. H. D. Fisher, of Atchison. They have been blessed with continued prosperity, and numerically it is the strongest church in the county. They also have a flourishing Sabbath school that was organized in 1869.
Methodist Episcopal Church at Highland. --There has been an organization of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the vicinity of Highland since March, 1857. Among the first members were Rev. Dana Fox, a Local Deacon, the Seavers, Grahams, Bonesteels and Dougtys. By the courtesy of the Presbyterian Church, they held services in the chapel in 1865. In 1863, the lot where the church now stands was purchased, some funds raised and some work done toward building the church. At that time, the Congregationalists were erecting a church building. It was thought best to loan their funds to the Congregational society, to complete their church, and occupy the building a part of the time; accordingly it was done. In 1878, under the pastorate of Rev. William Smith, the society erected a church. Although their membership is not large, they have regular services. They also have an interesting Sunday school, with sixty scholars enrolled.
Methodist Episcopal Church in Troy. -- Troy was first favored with preaching by the Methodist denomination, June 26, 1859, in the old court house, Rev. B. F. Bowman discoursing from Romans, chapter I, 15th verse, 'So much as in me is, I am ready to preach the Gospel to you that are in Rome also." The appointment was not continued, and there were no regular services by that denomination until 1862, when Rev. Abraham Bennett, a local preacher, held services here. Rev. R. W. Lloyd was their pastor in 1863, followed by J. Lawrence in 1864 and 1865; during his labors they were blessed with a precious revival. In 1866, D. P. Mitchel was appointed to serve, but being transferred to the Leavenworth District, J. Paulson was placed in charge of Troy. That year, the society began to talk about building a church edifice. After a hard struggle, in 1868 the present house of worship was completed. Rev. Paulson was succeeded by Rev. Thorborough for one year. Rev. Brown was appointed to serve, but did not come. Rev. Shaw supplied his place; Rev. D. B. Campbell following for one year. Rev. J. Lawrence returned to his former field of labor, was warmly greeted by his old friends. He served to them another two years, and was blessed with another revival; forty or fifty members were added to the church. Afterward, Rev. Charles Shackleford served one year, followed by Rev. W. F. Mahan, for six months. Rev. Leak filled the appointment and served one year, followed by Rev. J. A. Amos for two years. Afterward came Rev. McBride, one year. The past year (1881), through the efforts of Rev. F. M. Pickles, the church building has been repaired, and it is now quite attractive. Rev. Mr. Biddison, an earnest worker, now fills the pulpit, and bids fair to do a good work.
Methodist Episcopal Church at White Cloud. -- White Cloud appears on the minutes, for the first time, in 1857. About this time, a society was organized there by Rev. A. L. Douney, their pastor, and at the close of the year they report a membership of thirty. How many of these lived in White Cloud we have no means of ascertaining. Rev. C. Graham was next appointed pastor. He served for two years. In 1861, the church was left to be supplied, and Rev. Green, of Ohio, served them acceptably for a short time, when he returned to Ohio. R. L. D. Price, lately of Michigan, preached to them until 1862, when he was appointed to the Leavenworth District. Rev. O. B. Gardner received the next appointment to White Cloud, and served with great success until 1863, when he was appointed chaplain in the army, and Rev. G. L. Williams was appointed to close out the year. Rev. D. Dickison, M. D., served the charge for two years afterward. At conference, 1866, D. P. Mitchell was appointed to the Leavenworth District, and Rev. B. F. Bowman to White Cloud. Up to this time, the society had worshiped in halls and such other building's as could be secured for that purpose. They now use the schoolhouse, recently built. In May, 1866, the society obtained a charter according to the laws of the State, elected trustees and set themselves to work to raise funds to build a church edifice. After working half a day and beginning to feel discouraged, the pastor succeeded in getting J. H. Utt to head the subscription paper with $300. The ball being set in motion, in a short time $1,500 was raised, and the day's work closed with promises of $2,700. The ladies organized a sewing society to assist in raising funds, and worked earnestly until the building was completed. It is a brick building, 38x52 feet, and the cost was estimated to be $4,000, but, the plans being changed, it was made two stories and cost $9,000. The basement is stone and the audience room is brick. From various causes, the contractor failed to inclose (sic) the building, and with only one gable up, the walls stood during the winter, and April 24, 1867, withstood the shock of an earthquake, which was felt throughout the Missouri Valley. That year the church was inclosed and services held in it. Rev. P. M. Buck, of the North Indiana Conference, was the first minister who preached in the new church. Rev. C. J. Lovejoy was pastor in 1868, and, by his untiring efforts, the house was completed and furnished in the fall of that year, and dedicated to the worship of Almighty God, by Rev. A. B. Leonard, Presiding Elder of the Leavenworth District. Rev. H. Minear is the present pastor.
Methodist Episcopal Church on Bush Creek. -- This church is located about four miles southeast of Troy; church services have been held in this neighborhood since 1857. In 1865, Rev. G. R. Houts, who had charge of the Doniphan Circuit, organized the church. Among the first members were Ezra Rounds and wife, Eliza Early, Emma Kent, Thomas Chilton and wife. Their services, like others in those days, were held in private houses, afterward in schoolhouses. In 1871, under the charge of John Cook, the Bush Creek Church, a neat, comfortable house, and large enough to accommodate the community, was built. Much credit is due T. Chilton in superintending the work and collecting funds, so that when the church was dedicated, February, 1872, it was out of debt. Soon after this, there was quite a secession from the church to join the Second Adventist. From various causes, Methodism has not been very prosperous in this section.
Methodist Episcopal Church at Severance. -- The Methodist Episcopal Church in Severance was organized January 25, 1871, by Rev. W. K. Marshall, Presiding Elder, and Rev. B. F. Bowman, pastor in charge, with the following- named members: Rev. G. J. Archer, E. Archer, John Archer, William H. Archer, Hannah J. Archer, W. S. Wells, Rosanna Johnson, Henry Johnson and Simeon Chenowerth. From 1872 to 1875, they were served by Rev. G. W. Wood. During his pastorate the church built a parsonage, which was completed October 11, 1873, also built a house of worship, which was dedicated in the fall of 1874 by Rev. A. B. Leonard, of Cincinnati, assisted by H. D. Fisher. They incurred a heavy debt, which was paid last year (1881), under the charge of Rev. W. H. Underwood.
Other Methodist Episcopal Church Organizations. -- In the early settlements of the county there were Methodist Episcopal Church organizations in Bellemont, Charleston, Mount Vernon and La Fayette, but as those towns declined, and people moved away, these organizations were abandoned.
There are at present five pastoral charges in this county, viz., White Cloud, Rev. C. Minear; Highland, Rev. C. K. Jones; Severance, Rev. C. R. Brown; Troy, Rev. J. Biddison, and Oakland, F. F. Otto.
Methodist Episcopal Church Southern. -- The first organization of the Methodist Episcopal Church Southern, was formed at Doniphan by Rev. Wallace, in 1856. Services were held in a hotel at first. Revs. Hedgepath, O. Howell, James Arrington, King and Tharp, were successively in charge of this society. There was another organization of the Methodist Episcopal Church Southern at Bellemont in 1859. Mrs. Creal and Mrs. Bryant were among the early members. Both organizations have since gone down.
Episcopal Church in Troy. -- There was an Episcopal society organized in Troy in 1859 by Rev. Ryan. Services were held in the court house. Bishop Runcey, of St. Joseph, Mo., held irregular services here after Rev. Ryan left, also Bishop Vail, of Topeka, came here occasionally. Most of the members of the society have moved away, some have died, and services have been discontinued for several years.
We are indebted to the Rev. E. Alward, of Wathena, for the following brief sketches of the Baptist organizations of this county.
Baptist Church at Wathena was organized in June, 1858, by Elder William Price and Rev. E. Alward, with eight members. Services were held in the schoolhouse for several years. The organization had no church edifice until 1871, when a brick structure was built, 40x60, at a cost of $5,000.
The following pastors have had charge of the church from its earliest organization to the present time: E. Alward, D. Waddell and T. J. Cook; their present pastor being Rev. E. Alward. Present membership, forty-two.
Baptist Church at East Norway was organized in 1873 or 1874. Meetings were held in a schoolhouse about two miles northwest of East Norway.
The following pastors have had charge from time of organization to the present time : D. Waddell, T. Rolfe and E. Alward, who is their present pastor. Present membership, forty-eight.
Baptist Church at Leona was organized in October, 1880, by the Rev. E. Alward, with eight members. Meetings are held in the village schoolhouse. The membership of the church at present includes eighteen members, Rev. E. Alward being their present pastor.
Baptist Church on Independence Creek. -- We have been unable to obtain much data concerning this organization. Meetings are held in a schoolhouse six or eight miles south of East Norway. Rev. R. S. Cook is their present pastor.
Baptist Church near Palermo. -- The early history of this church is very meager. Meetings are held in a church edifice two miles southwest of Palermo. Their church building, a frame structure, was erected at a cost of $1,500. Present pastor, D. Waddell.
We are indebted to the Rev. Boniface F. Verbeyen, O. S. B., of St. Benedict's College, Atchison, Kan., for the following sketch:
"The Catholic congregation of Doniphan dates back to Territorial days. As early as 1856, Rev. Henry Lemke, O. S. B., born in 1796, and still living at Carrolltown, Cambria County, Penn., landed at Doniphan, and at once began to look up his co-religionists. He was shortly after followed by Rev. Augustine Wirth, O. S. B., who secured a plat of ground on the slope about two blocks east of Main street, and erected a small frame chapel. The chapel a few years later met with a sad fate, for in the latter part of the summer of 1863, it caught fire, supposed to have been the work of an incendiary, and was burned to the ground. A new site was selected on a rise in the western suburbs of the town, and a substantial brick church, 30x50 feet, was built by Rev. Timothy Luber, O. S. B., who succeeded to the charge of the parish in 1865. During the interval that elapsed from the burning of the first structure till the new building was finished, service was held in private dwellings. Already, before the catastrophe that befell the first chapel, Atchison had risen into prominence, and Father Augustine left Doniphan to make his home at the former place. Since that time, Doniphan has not had a resident pastor, but the spiritual wants of its Catholic inhabitants have been attended to, at first monthly, subsequently semi- annually, by the Benedictine Fathers, from the College at Atchison. From the same place were attended Wathena, Troy, Fanning, White Cloud, in short, all places in Doniphan County where Catholics had settled, and all of which they still have charge of, excepting, till quite recently, Wathena and Troy, and the stations along the Atchison & Nebraska Railroad, from Brenner north to the State line.
"The congregation of Doniphan numbers about thirty-five families."
St. Mary's Church, on Section 20, Township 4, Range 19. -- In 1859, John Murray donated ten acres of land for the purpose of building a church (Catholic). A frame building was erected, 16x30, the lumber being hauled from Atchison with ox teams. John Purcell was the only one who owned a team of horses at that time, and there were but nine families in the settlement. The Benedictine Fathers of Atchison supplied the church from the very beginning, until a priest was located at St. Benedict's Church, when it was supplied from there. Miss Anne Hess, daughter of Nicholas Hess, was the first child baptized in St. Mary's Church. She is now the organist of the church. In 1875, the church was enlarged to its present size, 60x30. The church has at present from 250 to 300 communicants, Irish and German. St. Mary's and St. Benedict's Churches have the reputation of possessing the best furnished buildings in the State, with the exception of a few city churches.
St. Benedict's Church, on Section 12, Township 4, Range 19 was organized in 1862, the pulpit being supplied by the Rev. Thomas Bartl, of the Benedictine Fathers of Atchison. During the same year, the foundations were laid for a stone church, 70x37, which was completed in 1865. A large portion of the work was done by the members of the congregation, who were then few in number and in poor circumstances, but by their energy and perseverance succeeded in erecting a building that is a credit to the neighborhood. The church was supplied from its first organization to 1868 by the Benedictine Fathers of Atchison; after that date the church had its own resident priest. In 1867, a brick parsonage was built near the church. The church property is located on land owned by St. Benedict's College and Abbey, at Atchison, which also owns 320 acres, the most of which is in a high state of cultivation. The church has at present about 350 communicants, and is in a prosperous condition, and free from debt. In March, 1880, the house attached to the church was raised to a Priory, by the Right Rev. Innocent Wolf, O. S. B., Abbot of St. Benedict's College, in Atchison. Two priests and six brothers reside at the Priory at present.
Roman Catholic Church at Wathena was established in 1869, by the Rev. Thomas, O. S. B., with a membership of 100 souls, mostly German. A brick edifice, 35x65, was erected in the same year, at a cost of $5,500, with the tower unfinished.
The church has been supplied by the following pastors: From date of its organization to 1878, by the Benedictine Fathers of St. Benedicts College at Atchison; from 1878 to 1880, Rev. L. Shreiner; from 1880 to the present time, Rev. J. H. M. Timphans.
During Rev. Timphans' administration a new parsonage, 24x36, was built at a cost of $1,500. About the same time a small house was built for the Benedictine Sisters, who have charge of a parochial school of from fifty to sixty pupils.
At present the church has 500 communicants, composed of Germans, Irish, French and English.
St. James Catholic Church at Fanning. -- The church edifice was erected in 1879, under the supervision of the pastor, Rev. L. Shriner, and a committee of James Gallagher and Patrick Corcoron. The building is a frame structure, 26x40, with a belfry, erected at a cost of $1,300. Present membership, 150, a large proportion of whom are Irish. Pastor since 1879, Rev. J. H. Timphans.
St. Charles Catholic Church at Troy. -- Church edifice was erected in 1880, under the supervision of a committee composed of F. Kotch, L. Morressy and Patrick Kirwin. The building is a frame structure, 24x36, erected at a cost of $1,000. Present membership, seventy-five. Rev. J. H. Timphans, present pastor.
Catholic Church at White Cloud. -- Church edifice was erected at a cost of $800; size, 24x36; present membership, fifty; present pastor, Rev. J. H. Timphans.
[We have been unable to obtain any data concerning the early organization of the three above societies.]
Congregational Church at Highland was organized October 5, 1865, by the Rev. H. P. Robinson, with fifteen members. The foundations for a brick church, 38x50, was laid in the fall of 1866, and the edifice was completed in spring of 1867, at a cost of about $4,000. Rev. H. P. Robinson remained in charge until 1869, when they had no regular pastor until July 1, 1877, when the Rev. D. Kloss took charge of the organization, and still retains his position as pastor. Membership at present time, sixty-eight.
First Congregational Church at White Cloud was organized May 25, 1867, by the Rev. H. P. Robinson, with eleven members. A church edifice of brick was built in the spring of 1871, at a cost of $3,200.
The church has been supplied by the following patrons: Rev. H. P. Robinson, from May, 1867, to October, 1869; Rev. H. W. Shaw, from October, 1869, to June, 1873; Rev. H. P. Robinson, June, 1873, to September, 1873; Rev. C. E. Moon, at Highland and White Cloud, April, 1875, to October, 1875; Rev. D. C. McNair, October, 1875, to March, 1876; Rev. C. J. Adams, March, 1876, to March, 1877; Rev. D. Kloss, of Highland, from July, 1877, to May, 1882. No regular pastor at present time. Present membership, about twenty.
German Society Methodist Episcopal Church at Wathena was organized in October, 1867, by Rev. H. M. Meniger, who remained in charge three years; Rev. G. J. Shultz, one year; Rev. J. G. Kost, two years; Rev. J. P. Hanst, one year; Rev. J. A. Reitz, two years; Rev. C. Hawnns, three years; Rev. C. Ott, three years, and Rev. C. Stuckemann, the present incumbent. From 1868, up to the present time, the above-mentioned ministers had charge of an organization bearing the same name in Center Township, on Section 26, Township 3, Range 21; also an organization in Burr Oak Township, on Section 29, Township 2, Range 22.
In the summer of 1878, they bought a church building, 30x50, of the Campbellite organization, for $1,100, and dedicated it soon after. In 1872, a parsonage was built at a cost of about $1,500.
German Society Methodist Episcopal Church on Section 29, Township 2, Range 22, was organized in 1868, by Rev. H. Meyer. Services were held in school and private houses until 1879, when a frame church, 24x32, was erected at a cost of about $700.
German Society Methodist Episcopal Church on Section 26, Township 3, Range 21, was organized in 1868, by Rev. H. Meyer. Services were held in a log building until 1880, when it was sold. A new one, 24x32, was built at a cost of about $700.
A summary of these three sketches will show that the German Methodist Episcopal Societies have three church organizations in the county; total value of church property, about $3,300; number of church edifices at present time, three; number of members at present time, ninety.
These organizations are at present supplied by the Rev. C. Stuckeman, of Wathena.
German Reformed Zion's Church on Section 33, Town 2, Range 22, was organized in 1868, by the Rev. John Biery. Services were held at various places in the neighborhood until a church edifice was erected. The building is a small frame structure, seating about 150 persons. Present membership, ninety; Rev. A. Bolliger, pastor. The church is now in a prosperous condition, and has a Sunday school connected with it, numbering about sixty pupils.
Colored Baptist Church at White Cloud, was organized in 1875, by the Rev. J. H. Strawther. Present number of members, twenty-six. Services are held once a month in the schoolhouse, by the Rev. Daniel Wilson, of Atchison, Kan.
Colored Missionary Baptist Church at Troy, was organized January 9, 1881, by the Rev. Henry Bacon, with eight members. The organization has no building at present, but efforts are being made to build in the near future. Present number of members, nine. They have no regular pastor at present.
Second Colored Baptist Church at Wathena, was organized September 22, 1873, by Rev. D. Lee, of Lawrence; Rev. John Bourn, of Fort Scott; Revs. Williams and Clarkston, of Elwood, and Rev. S. Jackson, of Wathena. A church edifice was built in 1872, most of the work being done by the members. The building is valued at $450. Membership at present, seventy-five; Rev. S. Jackson, pastor.
FREEMASONRY.The Ancient Order of Free and Accepted Masons for centuries past has been the handmaid of civilization, her carrying with them into new and pioneer settlements those fraternizing influences, which have been found to be of such momentous value, even in the habitations of the unlettered savage. The early settlers of Doniphan County did not constitute an exception to this rule.
Smithton Lodge, No. 1, A. F. & A. M. --This is the oldest lodge in the State, and was organized in the spring of 1854, at Smithton, one of the early towns in the county, located in what is now known as Burr Oak Township. A charter was granted November 30, 1854, with the following charter members: J. W. Smith, E. H. Rinehart, D. Vanderslice, J. H. Whitehead, William P. Richardson, J. H. Merrell, G. R. Wilson, Joseph Crippen, H. W. Forman. The following were the first officers: J. W. Smith, Worshipful Master; E. H. Rinehart, Senior Warden; D. Vanderslice, Junior Warden. The first meeting by the lodge was held in the open air on a high river bluff, near Smithton; afterward meetings were held at Bellemont (Whitehead) then at Iola -- an early town, long since defunct -- on the Wolf River; this was removed to the Agency, and finally located at Iowa Point, where it remained for several years; then, by consent of the Grand Lodge, it was moved to Highland, its present location.
Present officers: Dr. A. Leigh, Worshipful Master; L. Meeker, Senior Warden; B. Martin, Junior Warden; W. Trevett, Secretary; A. S. Campbell, Treasurer.
Present membership, sixty.
Arcadia Lodge, No. 31, at Doniphan, was organized December 29, 1858, with the following members: A. R. Forman, J. W. Shepherd, J. F. Forman, B. S. Wharton, W. W. Hanson, G. W. Waller, and O. Brown.
The following were the appointed officers: A. R. Forman, Worshipful Master; J. W. Shepherd, Senior Warden; J. F. Forman, Junior Warden.
Present officers: W. H. Vesbit (sic-should be Nesbit?), Worshipful Master; B. P. Curtis, Senior Warden; A. B. Smith, Junior Warden; James Schletzbaum, Secretary; A. Windsor, Treasurer.
Present membership, fifty.
Doniphan Chapter, No. 13, R. A. Chapter, was organized October 17,1869. Charter members: J. L. Thompson, I. Smallwood, J. F. Forman, J. L. Philbrick, T. J. Vanderslice, and C. C. Camp.
The following were first officers: J. L. Thompson, H. P.; I. Smallwood, K.; J. F. Forman, Scribe.
Present officers: J. L. Philbrick, H. P.; B. W. Stratton, K.; L. A. Messenger, Scribe; J. F. Forman, Secretary; A. Windsor, Treasurer.
Present membership, eighteen.
Troy Lodge, No. 55, A. F. & A. M. , was instituted February 4, 1867. Following are the charter members: J. B. Maynard, William Monroe, L. M. Lee, S. Tennent, J. C. Power, W. M. Batis, L. Smith, G. H. Mosley, Daniel Bursk, J. B. Wheeler, C. C. Camp; P. S. Soper, Charles Higby, Henry Boder, Jr., and R. T. Nesbit.
The first officers were: R. T. Nesbit, Worshipful Master; C. C. Camp, Senior Warden; Henry Boder, Jr., Junior Warden; Daniel Bursk, Treasurer; P. S. Soper, Secretary.
Present officers arc: A. Perry, Worshipful Master; R. S. Dinsmore, Senior Warden; Thomas Henshell, Junior Warden; George Harris, Treasurer; D. C. Sinclair, Secretary. Present membership, ninety-three.
Regular meetings are held on the first Monday before full moon, and second Saturday thereafter, in Masonic Hall.
Wathena Lodge, No. 64, A. F. & A. M. , was instituted under a charter January 27, 1868, with the following charter members: T. Higgins, C. Nahring, C. C. Carson, W. B. Craig, W. P. Black, C. Poirier, H. S. Creal, W. H. Wilson, J. Suter, J. Brown, J. Grady.
Following were the first officers: S. Hatch, Worshipful Master; W. H. Smallwood, Senior Warden; O. Craig, Junior Warden; A. E. Campbell, Secretary; M. E. Bryan, Treasurer.
Present officers: S. Hatch, Worshipful Master; W. W. Carter, Senior Warden; R. H. Larzeler (sic - should be Larzelere?), Junior Warden; C. Poirier, Secretary; A. E. Campbell, Treasurer. Present membership, twenty-four.
White Cloud Lodge, No. 78, A. F. & A. M. , was instituted under dispensation May 17, 1869.
Following were the first officers: J. B. Holloebaugh, Worshipful Master; M. B. Bowers, Senior Warden; R. M. Williams, Junior Warden; C. F. Van Buskirk, Secretary; C. Burkhalter, Treasurer.
A charter was granted October 21, 1869, with the following charter members: J. B. Holloebaugh, M. B. Bowers, R. M. Williams, C. F. Van Buskirk, Charles Burkhalter, A. N. Taylor, John Harpster, J. S. Springer.
Following were the officers under the charter: R. M. Williams, Worshipful Master; M. B. Bowers, Senior Warden; J. W. Harpster, Junior Warden; C. F. Van Buskirk, Secretary; Charles Burkhalter, Treasurer.
Present officers : J. W. Harpster, Worshipful Master, P. L. Palmer, Senior Warden; R. S. Wakefield, Junior Warden; C. H. Wakefield, Secretary; D. G. Garlock, Treasurer. Present membership, thirty-seven.
Regular meetings are held Wednesday evenings on or before the full moon and every two weeks after, at Odd Fellows Hall.
ODD FELLOWSHIP.White Cloud Lodge, No. 6, was first organized under dispensation December, 1858. During the war -- winter of 1862 and 1863 -- the organization suspended until December 31, 1869, when it was re-organized under dispensation, retaining its original number. The officers at the time of re-organization were: R. S. Wakefield, Noble Grand; J. W. Moore, Vice Grand; J. Taylor, Recording Secretary; O. C. Whitney, Treasurer.
After the re-organization was perfected, the following officers were elected for the ensuing year: J. W. Moore, Noble Grand; J. Taylor, Vice Grand; O. C. Whitney, Recording Secretary; J. F. Swartz, Treasurer.
October 12, 1872, a charter was granted with the following charter members: Sol Miller, H. Ulsh, F. E. Armstrong, W. D. Beeler, J. Troy, H. F. Macy, O. C. Whitney and C. M. Williams. The following were the first officers elected under the charter: S. N. Perry, Noble Grand; W. M. Fairall, Vice Grand; G. W. Pike, Recording Secretary; J. F. Mauck, Treasurer.
Following are the present officers: George H. Burkhalter, Noble Grand; G. W. Mauck, Vice Grand; I. S. Sinclair, Recording Secretary; S. Maquilken, Permanent Secretary; W. B. Lewis, Treasurer. Membership at present time, seventy-nine.
Regular meetings are held every Saturday evening in their hall -- one of the finest in the county.
Troy City Lodge, No. 38, was instituted under a charter, September 28, 1868, with the following charter members: L. Smith, J. C. Gordon, G. Shriver, J. F. Hamson, X. K. Stout, W. E. Pickett, Charles Higby, H. A. Demsey, D. Bursk and W. H. Hambaugh.
The first officers were X. K. Stout, N. G.; L. Smith, V. G.; F. M. Tracy, Treas.; C. Leland, Sec.
Present officers are: F. Brown, N. G.; L. A. Roderick, V. G.; X. K. Stout, Treas.; William Erskine, Sec; present membership, sixty.
Regular meetings are held every Saturday evening in their hall over the bank.
Phoenix Lodge, No. 41, at Wathena was organized under dispensation February 26, 1869. Following were the first officers: J. T. Wheeler, N. G.; J. C. Gordon, V. G.; W. H. Wilson, R. S.; J. Robertson, P. S.;. P. M. Sturgis, Treas.
A charter was received October, 1869, with the following charter members: D. B. Welding, H. A. Dempsey, J. C. Gordon, J. T. Wheeler, B. Moetinge (sic - should be Moetinger?), J. A. Hackley, H. H. Frazer, B. Harding, P. Higgins, E. M. Sturgis, J. G. Robertson, A. Straub, W. H. Wittsern, J. W. Noe, J. Wynkoop.
Present officers: J. C. Gordon, N. G.; P. Berger, V. G.; B. Harding, R. S.; O. Miller, Treas. Present number of members, twenty-four.
Regular meetings are held every Wednesday evening in their hall.
Highland Lodge, No. 67, was instituted January 27, 1871. There were eight charter members, as follows: J. H. Close, S. F. Amsbury, J. Myers, F. J. Close, B. Castello, H. Myers, F. M. Unkefer and F. B. Gatchell.
Its first officers were: J. H. Close, N. G.; S. F. Amsbury, V. G.; F. J. Close, P. S.; H. Myers, R. S.; J. Myers, Treas.
Present officers: C. D. Iler, N. G.; S. S. Jacobs, V. G.; F. Kitsmiller, R. S.; G. F. Leming, Treas. Present membership, fifty.
Regular meetings are held every Saturday evening in the Masonic hall over the post office.
King Lodge, No. 144, at Severance, was instituted September 17, 1877, with the following charter members: J. A. Campbell, R. P. Shulsky, G. F. Dooley, W. B. Hargis, Joel Ryan, Jr., A. E. Cyphens, A. S. Campbell.
Following were the first officers: J. A. Campbell, N. G.; W. B. Horgis, V. G.; A. S. Campbell, R. S.; G. F. Dooley, P. S.; A. E. Cyphens, Treas.
The lodge was incorporated under the laws of the State, June 15, 1880, with the following trustees: J. A. Campbell, R. P. Shulsky, John Hagg, R. Kaufman and A. J. Unmer.
Present officers: C. E. Miller, N. G.; W. S. King, V. G.; A. B. Ford, Sec.; J. A. Campbell, Treas. Present number of members, fifty.
Leona Lodge, No. 178, was instituted September 22, 1880, with thirteen members. Following are the charter members: G. W. Strahan, H. Guier, J. W. Kaufman, W. S. Postle, E. B. Fatchell, E. M. Miller, Amos Postle.
Its first officers were: J. W. Kaufman, N. G.; H. Guier, V. G.; B. M. Miller, R. S.; G. W. Strahan, Treas.; G. W. Strahan, Representative to Grand Lodge.
Present officers: L. Rickenbach, N. G.; J. W. Shock, V. G.;D. Kercher, R. S.; B. F. Heastan, Treas.; B. F. Heastan, Representative to Grand Lodge. Present number of members, twenty.
Regular meetings are held every Wednesday evening in their hall in the schoolhouse.
Colored Grand United Order, O. F., No. 2,088, at White Cloud, was organized January 19, 1880, with seventeen applicant members. Following are the present officers: Scott Clay, N. G.; Simon Easley, V. G.; A. Donohue, E. S.; A. D. White, P. S. Present membership, twenty-three.
Meetings held every Saturday evening in a leased hall.
KNIGHTS OF HONOR.Troy Lodge, No. 1,317, was organized December 80, 1878, by A. Howland, D. G. D. Following are the charter members: H. Boder, H. Boder, Jr., Sol Miller, D. C. Sinclair, L. L. Johnson, D. W. Morse, R. Wilkinson, A. S. Ashmead, T. C. Munson, J. A. Ames, J. W. Byers, C. E. Brown, J. G. Light and J. P. Wilson.
The first officers were: H. Boder, Jr., Past Dictator; D. C. Sinclair, Dictator; L. L. Johnson, Vice Dictator; T. C. Munson, Reporter, Sol Miller, Treasurer.
Present officers : R. S. Dinsmore, Dictator; A. Breckenridge, Vice Dictator; R. Wilkinson, Reporter; Sol Miller, Treasurer. Present membership, thirty-nine.
Meetings are held on the second and fourth Fridays of each month in Odd Fellows' Hall.
Amity Lodge, No. 2,267, at White Cloud, was organized July 16, 1880, with the following charter members: W. H. Forncrook, C. H. Wakefield, J. H. Lynds, C. H. Shreve, R. S., Wakefield, A. Frost, W. N. Embree, B. W. Anderson, P. Burkhalter, M. S. Mauck, S. L. Jennings, G. W. Mauck, P. L. Parmer, L. A. Howarth, L. F. Mills, T. Sniveley, J. H. Smythe, G. H. Burkhalter, Charles Cain.
Following were the first officers: A. Frost, Dictator; C. H. Wakefield, Reporter; J. H. Lynds, Treasurer. Present officers are W. H. Forncrook, Dictator; G. W. Mauck, Reporter; W. B. Lewis, Treasurer. Membership at present, seventeen.
Regular meetings are held on the second and fourth Mondays of every month in Odd Fellows' Hall.
Highland City Lodge, No. 2,261, was organized under a charter on the 9th day of July, 1881. Fourteen names appeared on the charter as follows; W. Trevett, A. Leigh, J. C. Rea, E. R. Wood, W. H. Forbes, T. J. McCreary, H. A. Hills, J. C. Gunn, J. W. Ranky, L. Recker, C. E. Fox, H. Hunn, J. F. Mitchell, and G. W. Pace.
The following were the first officers: A. Leigh, Past Dictator; W. Trevett, Dictator, and W. H. Forbes, Reporter.
The officers at the present time are: H. C. Layton, Dictator; W. Trevett, Reporter, and T. J. McCreary, Treasurer. Present membership, nineteen.
The regular meetings are held on first and third Tuesdays of each month.
MISCELLANEOUS ORGANIZATIONS.Silver Cornet Band at White Cloud was organized with eleven members in September, 1875, under the leadership of Capt. C. W. Shreve. The band was first organized in 1871, and afterward re-organized in 1875. They have at present a fine set of instruments, costing in the neighborhood of $1,000. Present officers are C. W. Shreve, leader, and C. H. Wakefield, Secretary.
Cousins Cornet Band at Highland. -- This is a band but recently organized, composed of young members. Their leader, M. Minier, organized the band with fourteen members, in August, 1881.
There is also a cornet band in Burr Oak Township, composed of ten members, of which we can obtain no further data.
Doniphan County Horticultural Society was organized October 6, 1879. Following were the first officers: President, X. K. Stout; Treasurer, W. Hinckley; Secretary, S. Hatch.
Present officers: X. K. Stout, President; S. E. Hardy, Vice President; R. H. Montgomery, Treasurer; S. Hatch, Secretary.
Regular meetings are held on the first Monday in February, May, August and November.