WILLIAM S WALLACE, M D
The flourishing town of Effingham, Atchison county, has attracted to its hospitable borders many a young man of ambition and enterprise, as well as numerous wealthy and retired business men and capitalists. The reason for this is obvious: it is because of the manifest destiny of the place one day to rank among the most populous and progressive cities of the great state of Kansas. Believing thoroughly in its future of promise, these citizens neglect no opportunity to advance the new era, and their patriotism should find a responsive echo in every heart. Among those who have cast in their fortunes with us during the past decade is the gentleman whose name appears at the commencement of this sketch of his life.
Dr. W. S. Wallace is a native of Washington county, Iowa, his birth having occurred near the town of Washington, August 21, 1869. His father, William A. Wallace, was born in Pennsylvania, whence he removed, in his early manhood, to Iowa, and there met and married Maggie A. White, a popular and successful teacher of Washington county. They became the parents of three sons and four daughters, and to each they gave excellent educational advantages and home training. The father was one of the brave soldier boys of the Federal army during the civil war, and for four years faithfully fought and suffered in the defense of the Union. He first enlisted as a private of the Seventh Iowa Regiment of Volunteer Infantry, and later was a sergeant in the Nineteenth Iowa Infantry.
In his boyhood and youth, Dr. Wallace was a pupil in the public schools of his native state, and there laid the foundations of his future knowledge. Deciding that the healing art should be his life's work, he commenced the study of medicine under the tutelage of Dr. C. D. Werley, of Pennsylvania, and later entered Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia. In that celebrated institution he was graduated as a member of the class of 1893, and at once entered upon his labors as a physician and surgeon. But little more than seven years have passed since he opened an office in Effingham, but success has attended him from the first, and to-day he possesses the respect and confidence of the public. Extremely conscientious and painstaking in the treatment of each case committed to his skill, he never fails to win the esteem of the patient nor to cheer and encourage each member of the afflicted family whom he is called to visit.
In 1893, the year in which the Doctor embarked upon his professional career, another event, none the less important, transpired, at Reading. Pennsylvania, as his marriage to Miss Dora Gouker was solemnized. The young couple's attractive home is brightened now by the presence of their two little sons, who are named respectively William Earl and Paul G. The Doctor is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America.