WILLIAM L CLARK
An important factor in the business activity of Troy, Kansas, is the Troy Roller Mills, which were erected in 1893. The plant consists of a three-story building, equipped with the latest and most improved machinery, including a ninety-five horse power Corliss engine, and the output of the mills is one hundred barrels per day.
These mills are owned and operated by Clark Brothers, who, besides being manufacturers, are dealers in flour and feed and do a general merchant and exchange business, both wholesale and retail, and have a trade that extends over a large territory, including all the surrounding towns.
The firm of Clark Brothers is composed of N. L. and W. S. Clark. The former, whose name introduces this review, is a native of Iowa, born in Decatur county, near Leon, in April, 1863, and is a son of James S. and Mary (McLaren) Clark. James S. Clark moved to Iowa from Ohio, his native state, in 1847, and settled in Decatur county, where he was for many years engaged in farming and stock raising and where he is still living. John Clark, the grandfather of William L., was a native of Scotland, and his wife, before her marriage, was a Miss Grannell. The McLarens also, as their name indicates, are of Scotch descent.
William L. Clark was reared on his father's farm in Decatur county, Iowa, and received his education in the district schools and the schools of Davis City, Iowa. He learned the milling business in Davis City, has had a number of years of experience in the business and since 1893 has been in partnership with his brother under the above name. He was married, in 1887, to Miss Alice Anson, who is a native of Iowa and of Swedish descent, and they have one son.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids